open thread

Happy Tuesday in December and/or Christmas, if you’re into that! Open thread

Please don’t eat this

By David Futrelle

Hope you’re all enjoying today, whether you celebrate Christmas or you’re just having a Tuesday. Here’s an open thread, for celebrating the day (whatever it means or doesn’t mean to you), venting about Christmas weirdness involving relatives, making jokes about Trump, whatever you want.

If you want more Christmasy content, check out my last two posts: Hot for Santa: The Unbearable Horniness of Vintage Christmas Ads and Have an Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Christmas with these really creepy vintage ads.

Moggie
Moggie
1 year ago

For you, today was probably the greatest day of the year. But, for me, it was Tuesday.

Another child has died in US custody. Merry fucking Christmas:

Hambeast
Hambeast
1 year ago

Just Tuesday for me, too.

Now I’m furious and wondering about the family of that poor, dead child and if they’ll ever find out what happened.

At least my Christmas isn’t ruined. ETA: but my Tuesday is. Gonna go have a drink, anyway.

sarah_kay_gee
sarah_kay_gee
1 year ago

I’m extremely lucky in that all of my immediate family is some flavor of liberal. I mean, there’s a scale, from me (basically a communist and one dead child in ICE custody away from hucking molotovs) to my older brother (kind of libertarian, but also supports equal rights for everyone) to my brother-in-law (kind of fiscally conservative), but we all hate Trump and anyone who collaborates with him. We’re also all atheist/agnostic, but we love Christmas. It’s just not about Baby Jesus for us. It’s about deep-fried turkey, giving each other presents, and pie for breakfast the next day. Also getting shnockered on the bowls of sangria I never stop mixing. Merry Christmas/Solstice/Tuesday!

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Moggie
The Trumpists seem to be staying home today, considering how that AP article has an unusual volume of pro trump tweets that include but aren’t limited to saying they’re diseased vermin.

Moggie
Moggie
1 year ago

@Ooglyboggles, TBH I just couldn’t bring myself to read the comments. I’m not feeling so good about humanity right now.

Tosca, Chaos made Flesh, Servant of the Purring Jew
Tosca, Chaos made Flesh, Servant of the Purring Jew
1 year ago

I have another argument-starting T-shirt on the way! I’m extremely excited, because this group only started making these because I asked. Previously, this slogan was only available on tote bags.

It says “Feminists don’t hate men. Well, #notallmen.”

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol
1 year ago

Can’t talk. Had country-style ribs with homemade barbecue sauce for dinner. There are also cookies.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles
1 year ago

Losing my medical insurance due to parents’ imminent separation. Learned abput this from parent initiating separation during christmas dinner with them.

Z&T
Z&T

Happy Tuesday All! 🙂

We’re still here and I just had an odd food related idea, while sitting on the toilet.

A sort of “vintage” thing too. Those “decorative” bottles of pasta. Like this:

I have one of these, or once was, it’s a tall spiral shaped clear bottle, I tossed the pasta in it out, and put some bubble bath in, it’s now a bathroom decorative object.

The thought that just came to me: Were you supposed to eat the pasta that was in these bottles? Or was it all just meant as decoration?

Remember when these were big? Speaking of Giftmas prezzies .. how many of us got gifted with one of these . . . things.
Friend here is reminding me of the similar bottles of – stuff, “Stuff in Liquid in Decorative Bottle”, ha, presumably pickled veggies – same thing. Were you supposed to – eat that? Or was it just meant to be a decorative object?

We all remember these things, none of us gambled on eating the contents.

Herbert West
Herbert West
1 year ago

I totally WOULD eat this, just to try it.
How do you even prepare it? Do you slice pieces off and eat it cold, or do you cook it somehow?

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Ooglyboggles
Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear that. It sounds as though it’s two traumas: your parents separating and losing your medical insurance. I know that you were thinking about transitioning. Maybe hearing this news on Christmas made the whole thing even worse.

Please talk to your therapist or us or whomever you choose about this life-changing event.

Spring will arrive. In a few months, yes, but it will get here. I’m not sure how long it will take to get Trump out of the White House — but I hope it happens soon. Good things are on the way. Believe in that. Believe in yourself. Take good care.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax
1 year ago

I had a peculiar Christmas as I fell and fractured my skull. I love being British (despite a lot of things, Brexit included) because numerous people working for the NHS spent their Christmas Day looking after me.

It turns out walking an energetic dog when you’ve had a lot of wine is stupid. My sister and her partner must have been terrified, but got me the help I needed, and looked after the dogs while I was in hospital (which is particularly nice as they aren’t dog people).

I’m feeling very delicate, and very stupid for causing so much worry. But I love the NHS.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Weatherwax
So glad you got the help you needed! I’m also glad the dogs were looked after. You’ve had an interesting Christmas. I hope your New Year’s is less so — but very happy.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it
1 year ago

Has anyone heard about the Sweet Sue brand Whole Chicken in a Can? It just slides out of the can, stuck in it’s own gelatinous broth. It’s beyond nasty.

@Z&T:

What I remember is the homemade gifts of all the dried ingredients for cookies layered in a pretty jar, with a ribbon around it. You then added the eggs, etc.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol
1 year ago

Ack, Weatherwax! Glad to hear you’re on the mend.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

@Weatherwax

I’m sorry to hear that. Someone I know was injured when he tried to climb a ladder in the rain, while wearing flip-flops. The ladder slid out from underneath him, or he slipped off and fell. He broke one of his feet in multiple places.

This was at least 6 weeks ago, and he’s still on the mend.

Moggie
Moggie
1 year ago

@Weatherwax, glad to hear you aten’t dead. I fear so much for the NHS under the tories – always, but particularly post-Brexit.

Kevin
Kevin

@Herbert West

If you are talking about the can in the header, I’d empty the contents into a saucepan over a lit burner and stir/simmer until it was a hot game soup or stew.

MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)
MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)
1 year ago

Wow! It’s amazing what can be put in a tin now days. I’m impressed!

Rahu
Rahu

Ooglyboggles –

I’m so sorry about both! For insurance, please look into Medicaid, if you qualify.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Oogly,

That’s rotten.

If your state doesn’t have an extended open enrollment period for the ACA exchange, you should be able to enroll under a qualified life event.

Full Metal Ox
1 year ago

Am I the only one bothered–for thematic rather than aesthetic reasons–that the wretched little sapling that attracted Charlie Brown’s compassion is now itself a buyable licensed thing?

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Full Metal Ox:

No, you’re not the only one. That just seems a violation of the entire point. And probably something Schulz himself would have hatred for similar reasons.

Nequam
Nequam
1 year ago

Forget it, Ox, it’s end-stage capitalism.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary
1 year ago

I’m so disappointed that GAME’s ‘Christmas tinner’ is a hoax. We have GAME stores in my country, and none actually stocked this delight. I hope they do the right thing and make it real next year, I so dearly want to try it 🙁

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie
Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie
1 year ago

The real problem with that tree is that the Schultz family might not have had much choice about it, in a way.

I remember an interview many years ago with the wife of the late Dr. Seuss, about why she was licensing out things like the Cat’s top hat as wearable items when she knew her husband wouldn’t have approved of it. She said that it was made clear to her that if she didn’t do it, someone else not connected to the Seuss’ would’ve done it without permission. At least this way she retained some control over what got made as official merchandise instead of some copyright pirate.

This is not an unfounded fear. Bill Watterson refused to do any merchandising for Calvin and Hobbes outside of the newspaper reprint collections despite there being a market for it, so the pirates stepped in and created the merchandise instead. So now the only things available for fans are those P****** Calvin decals, or the praying Calvin and Suzie ones for those of a Christian bent. And none of it under Watterson’s control, or approval, and he sure as heck isn’t getting any of the money from the decals.

So yeah, it may have been possible that Schultz’s heirs faced a similar dilemma between respecting his (presumed) preferences in the matter, and watching a pirate name that tree instead.

Or the heirs just wanted the easy money. Either is possible. 😛

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Kat
Thanks for the sympathies. Fortunately my mother got to me and said the insurance will be safe, for now.

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera
1 year ago

I worked this Christmas. Last year I did too, and I was washing up after 180 Xmas meals, but this year I volunteered to be on the team that is first contact with the guests and organises all the activities for the week.

They go home tomorrow and I am exhausted. The Christmas course usually receives guests that are particularly “needy”, and a few have a mild-to-moderate level of dementia or learning disability. Some have come with company, others were dropped off here by their own families. There’s one man here who I think needs to be flagged on the system as “cannot come here next year without a carer, as we do not have the trained staff or facilities to meet his needs.” We just about managed him this year.

Then there is the lady who took a wrong turning and got her car stuck on the way here, and needed to be towed out while being uncooperative at the same time, and has been bitterly toxic ever since. “This place is terrible I’m never coming back” blah blah over and over and trying to convince other guests to agree with her. Luckily she left early.

There’s the gentleman who refused to eat anything except cheese and crackers, and yet would complain that all he was given to eat was cheese and crackers (I think he willingly ate Christmas dinner though).

Complaints aside, it was a fun few days and very satisfying to see the guests have a great time. The ones who didn’t bitch and whine, and most didn’t, gave plenty of positive feedback and thank yous, pretty much every day. ☺️ Not to mention that the food was outstanding. I wasn’t in the kitchen so can’t claim credit for anything, not even the dining room layout, but damn I’m proud of the team.

Robert
Robert
1 year ago

We had a traditional Christmas dinner at a local Chinese restaurant with two other families my husband is close to. It went well. Everyone had enough to eat of what they wanted to eat and there was no arguing about anything.

I feel very fortunate.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

Really sorry to hear of several Mammoth misfortunes, disruptions, and – in Moggie’s case – lack of faith in humanity. The latter is a totally understandable feeling, which I share. My depression always kicks in extra cruel and hard this time of year, and my god, the current news adds another layer of hopelessness for all of us.

@Oogly, that’s awful news on multiple counts, with dreadful timing. I wish there was something we could do.

@Weatherwax, I’m very glad you’re okay and that your dogs were taken care of. Your namesake is my hero, so look after yourself 🙂

Everyone, one thing I’m grateful for: this time a year ago, David was very unwell, and the blog was kinda limping along. Remember how long the 2017 Xmas post went for, in the comments? Thanks so much to peeps who kept things going here, and I’m seriously happy that Dear Leader is back to his usual energetic pace <3

Katamount
Katamount
1 year ago

Had a pretty good low-key Kweznuz with the fam. In lieu of the usual Christmas films, we instead watched that Lightning In A Bottle documentary that Scorsese made that featured the last of the great Blues artists performing at Radio City back in ’03. I hadn’t heard of most of the performers, but all of them were great (except Chuck D, who I have no idea why he was there).

Also Bill Cosby of all people shows up for no reason to totally ruin Ruth Brown’s song with his presence.

But apart from those incongruities, it was a fascinating doc that blends the performances with backstage bits where these old veterans of the Blues scene get together for what was essentially one last hurrah (as Ruth Brown points out, funerals are the only other time they see each other).

I also learned that Bonnie Raitt is a kickass guitarist.

Shartheheretic
Shartheheretic
1 year ago

This was my first holiday season as an “orphan” (hat tip to John Fugelsang) since my father passed in September. I flew to Michigan to spend time with friends who are family to me, and came back on XMas Eve so I could attend a XMas Eve party that a friend has invited me to numerous times but which I had been unable to attend in the past.

XMas day was spent hanging out on the couch with the cats while recuperating from flying with my standard post flight migraine.

All in all, it was better than I expected it would be. I am thankful for all of my friends and extended family who have reached out and supported me through it.

tim gueguen
1 year ago

Perhaps we should celebrate Crimmus instead. Holly Jolly is probably better than Santa Claus.

An Impish Pepper
An Impish Pepper
1 year ago

This December has been rather stressful for me. During university, I moved back in with my parents on a permanent basis, and have stayed that way for six years. I finally got a job starting in October, and this helped give me the impetus to start searching for a new home (not to mention my ever-increasing dissatisfaction with my family, neighbourhood, and life in general). It seems like I have enough funds for a low-end studio apartment or a room in a shared space on the cheaper side, but it’s so hard to know if a listing is for real or if an apartment is going to be clean and reasonably maintained. It seems like everything within my budget either has stories of infestations or is a potential scam. Even worse is that independent landlords don’t seem to like first-time renters very much.

I know there are several Torontonians here and at least one of you has some knowledge on historical buildings, so do any of you happen to know what’s going on with the Samuel Beatty House? It seems like it was converted into an apartment building of sorts at some point, and there is a listing for it, but the listed rate is extremely low and there doesn’t seem to be any other information on it. I think if I just have to share kitchens, bathrooms, etc. to avoid broken roach-infested apartments, then maybe sharing with three dozen instead of three tenants would be a safer bet.

I just don’t want to live like this anymore.