off topic open thread

Giving some thanks! Open thread

Dig in!

By David Futrelle

Happy Thanksgiving, if you’re doing that! Otherwise, enjoy your Thursday! I’m very thankful for everyone who reads and supports this blog, for my friends, for everyone who works to make this rough world a better place, for everyone who voted against the GOP in the election. And for cats, my own two lovely cats and cats in general. Dogs are cool too. And capybaras.

Anyway, an open thread.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
1 year ago

Rumors are swirling that Kirstjen Nielsen is about to become the latest victim of Trump White House Musical Chairs.

Is that thankfulness-worthy?

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol
1 year ago

I’m thankful that I didn’t eat more than I did. Oof.

Full Metal Ox

@David Futrelle:

This may be an oddly specific thing, but I’m thankful that something about the encoding or formatting of your blog not only allows me to comment from my clamshell Geezerphone but permits me to reach sites, via links posted here, that would be inaccessible via Google or if entered directly.

More generally, I enjoyed an excellent lunch at my best friend’s house, in the compay of her husband and two sons–all of whom regard women as peers and equals. (Being raised by a Geek Girl and an exemplar of decent manhood has done wonders toward keeping the boys out of the Incredible Shrinking Man-Box. )

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it
1 year ago

@Surplus to Requirements: I don’t even know anymore. I’m afraid my circuits have been overloaded😐

I did have a nice Thanksgiving. Since it was just me and Mr. Dormousing, we had oven-fried chicken, scalloped potatoes, broccoli, jalapeno cornbread, and Sam Adams Winter Lager. I’ve always thought turkey was overrated.

Tosca, Chaos made Flesh, Servant of the Purring Jew
Tosca, Chaos made Flesh, Servant of the Purring Jew
1 year ago

Question for Indigenous people, especially Australians.

I recently visited The Pinnacles, in Western Australia (where a series of sandstone spires stick up from bare desert sand). The Aboriginal story of their creation is insanely creepy. It inspired an idea for a horror story with a modern-day setting, where a young man pays the price for being disrespectful to the site.

To write the story, I’d have to include an outline of the Aboriginal creation story. I’m very mindful of cultural appropriation. I’m white. I’d love some thoughts from Indigenous people about whether this could be done in a respectful way. Or from any authors who’ve faced a similar situation, were you able to make it work and how? Many thanks.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
1 year ago

I’m thankful because . . .

. . . there is hope that, with aggressive action, we can turn our climate crisis around.

. . . the wildfire in Paradise(!) is now 90 percent contained. (Rain!) My thoughts are with those who remain in tents, who are at risk of flooding (yeah, more rain). Like New Orleans, Paradise will rebuild.

. . . a record number of women, including women of color, were elected to Congress.

. . . we in the USA still have some semblance of a democracy.

. . . the manosphere remains so damned funny! Thx, guys, for all the laughs!

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ tosca

I’m the whitiest whitefella that ever whited; I do though have a passing interest in this. I won’t comment on substantive matters; I hope you can get some input from some qualified people there. One thing I would suggest though, is to use “The Dreaming” rather than “Dreamtime”. They are both used, but there’s a shift towards the Dreaming to recognise it’s an ongoing process, and not something bound to the past.

ETA: (I apologise if I’m teaching you to suck eggs there)

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
1 year ago

Correction: The heroic efforts of firefighters and volunteers, along with some very timely rain, have helped to contain the fire in Paradise, California.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles
1 year ago

I’m thankful my stepdad didn’t burn to death while on the firefighting force.

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

Tosca

There is no one-and-only creation story for all Australian indigenous peoples. Every group has their own version which is strongly rooted in place and time.

The idea of Dreaming is certainly common to all of them, but it’s ext.reme.ly. easy for outsiders to put any number of feet wrong. You’ll need to do a hell of a lot of reading about this particular group – and be aware that it’s possible that such a striking geographic-topographic feature could be part of several groups world structure. It’s entirely possible that a lot of groups might assemble at certain times, or that they or others might visit one by one for various reasons at different times.

My only advice would be … Research. Research. Research.

Robert
Robert
1 year ago

Friends of my husband who run a restaurant invited us to join them for a Thanksgiving Family Meal. First time in years I haven’t had to cook, both of our sons were there, everything was delicious and I didn’t drink too much. A wonderful break from routine.

FelineFinethePunLioness
FelineFinethePunLioness
1 year ago

I’m thankful for my cat too
Thankful there’s a huge backlash against my state’s Governor since he put his Church above the people’s voices
Thankful I saw the new She Ra (it’s really good if you like animation)
Thankful I’m getting better in the (Sorry if it’s triggering ) suicidal thought department
Thankful my favorite show ever is coming back for a new season this December (I know it’s minor but rejoice)

Moggie
Moggie

I’m thankful for ants.

1 year ago

Happy thanksgiving to all American Mammotheers!

Here in the UK it’s…Friday morning. But I figure I might treat myself to my first mince pie of the year in your honour

Ledasmom
Ledasmom
1 year ago

I’m grateful the husband took the son to a movie and let me get on with cooking. And the pumpkin pie was excellent, and there’s a piece left for breakfast.
Ate; napped. Woke up, had pie. Fell asleep again, woke up, went to bed, put on Alice’s Restaurant. Good day.

Nequam
Nequam
1 year ago

I’m thankful for my husband for all sorts of reasons, including accepting that I didn’t want to try the new vegan roast today partly from lack of cooking motivation and partly because I burned my tongue a couple days ago and my sense of taste is fucked (which really ruins the thought of trying new dishes).

I am also thankful the mechanic finally figured out what was making my car stall out (some leaks letting air in the fuel line; it was one of those horrid problems where not only does it happen inconsistently but its symptoms could be any one of a dozen different things).

Moggie
Moggie
1 year ago

The world seems like such a shit-show at present that it’s hard to feel positive. But I’m thankful to people who have the spoons to fight back: against brexit, against Trump, against Bolsonaro, against misogyny, against the right in general. I’m thankful for all the people fighting fires, both literally and figuratively. And I’m thankful for cockatoo videos, my current favourite way of cheering up, and the people who work hard to give a decent life to these wonderful creatures who most of us don’t deserve.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
1 year ago

Well said, Moggie. Hear, hear! (even though this is also the expression the evil clowns use in the Westminster cockpit (in both senses of the word)).

Marshmallow Stacey Maximal (formerly bluecat - and shortly to be bluecat again!)
1 year ago

Thankful for a lot here – even though we don’t have Thanksgiving in the UK: grumbling day might be more our thing.

Thankful to be still a cancer survivor: going into 5 years come January.

Thankful for Mr Bluecat, now 73, and managing with Parkinsons Disease and sight loss, with grace and good humour.

Thankful about 400 of us turned out to laugh and point at about 30 fascists who thought Remembrance Day was best celebrated by demonstrating around our war memorial. Some of them wearing red poppies while making Nazi salutes – I kid you not – aimed apparently at a group of counter-demonstrators from the synagogue. I’m thankful we had the best songs (in many languages) and the best fun, and that there were so few of them, comparatively.

Thankful my lovely stepson turned up on Wednesday to say happy birthday to his Dad – as stepson lives in New York this was pretty exceptional.

Thankful to be in work, possibly more than I can manage. I’ve been conducting a history tour of a secret underground site in my city… interest was plodding along. And then this came out, and we had 700 enquiries in the first 3 hours (and we can’t get more than about 12 people at a time down there).

And thankful for David’s unimaginably arduous work on this site, and all the great people commenting and making mock. Good to know you all.

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi
1 year ago

I am super thankful for how well my blended family has come together over the past year. I know it has to be rough on the boys – they didn’t choose it, but they recognise that we are a family and even though we’re not perfect we have a good time.

I am thankful for my excellent physical therapist and sports masseur. I have been walking in pain for a couple of years and I’ve just had my first couple of pain free days this week. Which is fabulous.

We are having our Thanksgiving meal tonight as this is when my stepsons are able to join us – plus Thursday is just kind of an any other day here in the UK.

I’m also, and rather ridiculously, thankful for RuPaul’s Drag Race. The past couple of episodes (I’m out of synch and watching on Netflix) have been really therapeutic for me.

And I’m thankful for this site. Thanks David for the work you do.

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
1 year ago

I’m thankful for this community, and an upcoming weekend. It’s Friday, and very black here in Helsinki.

Chris Oakley
Chris Oakley
1 year ago

A partial list of what I’m thankful for:

1)My apartment
2)The Red Sox winning the 2018 World Series
3)Boston’s museums
4)My neighborhood library
5)Coffee

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
1 year ago

Speaking of “Black Friday”, I just learned that the English phrase (as in marketing gimmick) was actually trademarked by one Finnish retailer in 2011. Apparently, back then the relevant authorities didn’t know the phrase was in common usage abroad.

In the last few years, many other retailers have picked it up, and the trademark holder eventually gave up sending cease & desist letters (or whatever the proper term is). This thing is still relatively small, but escalating fast.

I’m thankful for:
My cat
The drugs which hold my progressive genetic disease at bay (yay medical science)
The guy I am seeing, for being smart, funny and not in any way like the men David features here (just for the interest value, he is around 5’4, two inches shorter than me, and very slimly built. However, one of the things I really like about him is that he does not appear to have got the memo about being an “undateable manlet”, and it certainly doesn’t appear to have interfered with his sex life. It’s always nice to see people in the real world proving this bullshit wrong just by living their lives)

@rugbyyogi
I find that it’s pretty much impossible to be depressed during an episode of Drag Race. Before, yes. After, yes. During? No.

Things which have a similar effect: eating cha siu bao, playing with animals, exercising hard, gaming

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

FelineFine,

Glad someone else watched and liked She-Ra!

It’s fun, the characters are well developed and most if not all the characters are clearly intended to be queer. The show runner, Noelle Stevenson has stated that all her characters should be assumed gay unless she states otherwise.

It seems destined to be a cult hit and I highly recommend it.

Plus, it’s the latest pop culture thing aggrieved dude bros are tantruming about. It’s ruining their childhoods because it’s too SJW and She-Ra/Adora isn’t sexy enough.

It’s pretty funny. He-man and She-Ra were vehicles to sell merchandise. It can be nostalgic fun to revisit them, but some of these guys are acting like it’s great art being sullied. In reality, the reboot takes a shallow but fun cartoon and gives it some real substance. I’ve rewatched some of the original. The reboot is superior.

Kevin
Kevin
1 year ago

I’m thankful for the medication keeping the worst of the neurological embuggerance at bay, and being less paralyzed than I was this time last year.

@WWTH

as an 80s child I can confirm that (in my neck of the woods, anyway) no 80s boy would be caught dead watching She-Ra, because EW! IT’S RUBBISH! SHE’S A GIRL! COOTIES!

So any dude-bro who has co-opted it as a thing to shake his head over sadly either wasn’t there, or is making up something to be aggrieved about*

*my money is on the second

Also, I have never understood how remakes and cover versions undermine an original. I do not understand why anyone would want to remake Suspiria (possibly one of my favourite films ever) but the existence of another interpretation of Suspiria does not affect the first version. Why would it? Why does it affect anything?

1 year ago

Well, since I’m British, we didn’t say “cooties”, but I’m too old to remember what we did say, so “cooties” will do.

Possibly “the lurgy”?

Katamount
Katamount
1 year ago

It’s not Thanksgiving up here in Canada, but I am thankful for the little things that make life a marvellous adventure up here in Hogtown… as frenetic as it can get up here between Ford regimes.

That’s the odd thing, innit? Why do these guys care so much? It’s not actual factual nostalgia, given they didn’t watch it as a child. If anything, it strikes me that She-Ra was just a periphery of their “Masters of the Universe” viewing: like they’d watch a crossover episode and that’s enough to be considered “fans” of the original.

For all their demands to “stay out of our fandoms”, they seem to want to shove their noses into every halfway nostalgic fandom no matter how little they actually belonged to it.

I probably watched more Sailor Moon as a kid than these guys watched She-Ra or Jem, and I don’t consider myself part of that fandom despite my enjoyment of the episodes I saw.

Jo
Jo
1 year ago

Oh, it’s that time of year when I’m reminded that ‘American’ is the default global nationality.

Moggie
Moggie
1 year ago

No, silly, that was a month ago, when kids were running down my non-American street trick-or-treating.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
1 year ago

I’m confused. Is David supposed to not post an open thread on Thanksgiving?

Moggie
Moggie
1 year ago

I don’t see any problem with giving thanks, wherever in the world we are. Surely it’s one of the more benign cultural exports?

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi
1 year ago

Oh to the Finnish readers – I’m also thankful that tomorrow we’re all going to the Finnish Christmas fair. Stocking up on cardamom, rye bread and karjalanpiirakat. Yay!

Sure, it’s advertised as the Scandinavian Christmas Fair, but I won’t be spending any of my money with the Norwegians.

Moggie
Moggie
1 year ago

Ah, Finland, home of neatly-raked forests!

Robert
Robert
1 year ago

As I’ve grown older, I’ve come to appreciate Thanksgiving more. It’s the simplest holiday, in some ways. If you are with people you like being with, eating food you like to eat, and are consciously thankful for both, you’re doing it ‘right’.

There are no movies about curmudgeons learning the true meaning of Thanksgiving, nobody ever has to rescue or save it, and there’s no frantic effort to make it the ‘best Thanksgiving ever!’

It may help that I never experienced the cultural trope of the hateful older relative spoiling everyone’s mood by ranting about politics or religion at the dinner table.

Full Metal Ox

@weirwoodtreehugger; @FelineFinethePunLioness; @Katamount:

Don’t forget another animated series set to begin a new season this December; I assumed that FelineFine meant the upcoming Steven Universe Bomb beginning December 17th, given the reference in their icon (and possibly their username.)

I’ve been somewhat sourly amused by the Fake Geek Boys crawling out of the woodwork to gatekeep fandoms that they plainly know nothing about and never took part in begin with. “Fake Geek” is itself a gatekeeping pejorative (as demonstrated by its customarily preceding “girl”) and so I take pains to use it very specifically.

It doesn’t mean “dadgum kid on the lawn who’s unaware of the franchise’s history”, because hey, everyone starts at zero–and current kids aren’t you and will have been steeped in an entirely different cultural atmosphere.

It doesn’t mean “someone who regards the fandom as something less than tribal identity and religion.”

It doesn’t mean “oh noes–how dare you play house with my ACTION FIGURES!”

It doesn’t even mean “gatekeeping old fart determined to take their fandom to their grave rather than see it compromised by n00bs“–odious though that sort is. (That, I suspect, may have a lot to do with certain fans’ reaction to The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi–the latter film, in particular, is very much about the inevitability of mortality, the necessity of passing the torch, and the certainty that heirs will interpret their predecessors’ legacy diffferently.)

No; it means the sort of supercilious fanbros who ridiculed this female cosplayer: “Female! Steampunk! Joker? Is that even a thing LOL!”: https://darlingstewie.com/2013/09/that-awkward-moment-when-george-takeis-duela-dent-facebook-post-turned-into-a-geek-girl-gender-war/

It means the guys whose response to the casting of Jodie Whittaker as the Thirteenth Doctor was to hoot, “Women don’t belong on the TARDIS!”: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p010zvrz/p010zttb

It means the fanbrats who, if they watched He-Man and She-Ra at all, absorbed nothing of what those shows were expressly teaching as they peddled action figures; this one, featuring both characters, seems singularly apropos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzB9NjVcJi4

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer
1 year ago

Of course, in Canada, Thanksgiving was over a month and a half ago… (as I tell people, it is fundamentally a harvest festival, and first frost is earlier up here.)

In any case, one thing to be thankful for is increasing awareness in general. As an example, earlier today I got an automated phone survey call: I pretty much always answer these things because I want to do my part to shape how public opinion polls go. Most of the call was the questions about holiday and online shopping, but at the end there was the usual demographic questions so they can mark off boxes. One of the questions was for sex, and went ‘Press 1 for male. Press 2 for female. Press 3 for non-binary.’

When pre-programmed public surveys treat non-binary as a thing, we know progress has happened.

@Violet the Vile:
The lurgy? Could I possibly sell you this brass musical instrument?

(Why, yes, I am an old Goon Show fan.)

@FelineFine, WWTH, Katamount, regarding She-Ra:
I’ve been hearing little but good reviews about it. And to quote the Vox story at https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/11/21/18105176/she-ra-princesses-of-power-reboot-review

This kind of representation won’t please those transphobic and homophobic critics who claim that their beloved show has been corrupted. But with that said, one could pretty easily argue that She-Ra and, for the matter, He-Man have always had an LGBTQ following because of its aesthetics — crop tops, boots, loincloths, muscles, rainbows — and themes like transformation.

[…]

To be frank, I don’t see how the reboot can be any gayer than Bow from the original show:

@Jenora

I never knew it came from the Goon Show, but I’ve now looked it up! That’s brilliant!

You might know this already, but just in case you don’t (or some other Goon Show fan doesn’t): “the lurgy”, as invented by Milligan and Co, has evolved over the years into an actual British word in everyday usage. It is used to describe a) a non-specific minor viral illness (use like: “I can’t come in to work today, I’ve got the lurgy/Brian gave me the lurgy/stay away from me, I’m full of lurgy”) or b) in the playground, by children, in the style of cooties (use like: “AAAH ALEX HAS THE LURGY!” everyone runs away screaming/poke friend with finger “You’ve got the lurgy” everyone runs away screaming)

I completely love that it was, in fact, invented by Spike Milligan. Thank you so much for alerting me to this 😀

Catalpa
Catalpa
1 year ago

Cynicism/negativity post, feel free to skip.

Being thankful is a good thing, though for me thanksgiving smacks too much of colonialism and the whitewashing of the genocide of indigenous peoples for me to really enjoy it. The saccharine portrayals of “pilgrims and indians” sets my teeth on edge.

Not to mention that American thanksgiving is the harbinger of Black Friday, which is an awful consumerist shitshow that exploits retail workers even more than usual and is infecting Canada too. (Also, what is up with the scheduling of it? “Hey you just finished spending a day being grateful for what you have, now come on down and buy a ton of shit you don’t need!”) Not a big fan.

@Jenora

Indeed, but apparently He-Man prefers Duncan

Dreamer
Dreamer
1 year ago

I’m thankful to be moving into a house soon for the first time in my life as an old woman! I’m thankful for my cats and my family. I’m thankful I haven’t had a panic attack in months. I’m thankful I wasn’t born into the Trump family.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

One reason I love open threads – I get to catch up a bit with what everyone’s had going on (good and bad). I hope everyone dealing with embuggerances – their own, or loved ones’ – is coping okay and still finding the joy.

There’s so much horrible stuff going on that it’s sometimes hard to focus on what’s good. I’m thankful for my family, including my cats of course, who are floofy and silly and wonderful (Exhibit A below). My son just turned 16 this week, and my beautiful niece and her girlfriend got married at the foot of a waterfall, barefoot, and wearing purple pixie dresses.

JessicaRed
JessicaRed
1 year ago

The Aboriginal story of their creation is insanely creepy.

Creepy to them because it’s an intentionally scary story? Or creepy to you because it’s someone else’s culture?

I still roll my eyes at how many American horror stories involve an old “Indian burial ground” (i.e. a cemetery used by indigenous Americans, not a cemetery in India), and how clear the exoticization and “fear of the Other” is inherent in the trope.

Be very careful. Indigenous people on both continents continue to be oppressed and have their land occupied and misused by the government (even land supposedly still reserved for them), and there is a long history – up to and including the present – of white people taking whatever they want from indigenous cultures, and harshly suppressing the rest.

I legitimately have indigenous ancestry on both sides of my family (and my mother and her family are visibly Canadian Métis people), but because I was raised “white” culturally, and almost always pass for white rather than mixed race, and therefore have been served white privilege on a platter whether I wanted any or not (and I do want it, because jeez it’s useful!) I personally stay away from writing stories that appropriate indigenous culture, even the cultures I’m directly descended from.

So again, be very careful.

Rei Malebario
Rei Malebario
1 year ago

I need to buy a new hoodie for my wife. A FedEx man came with a package yesterday while I was in the shower so my wife just grabbed the first thing to throw on her to open for the FedEx guy and that happened to be my favourite hoodie. And she found it so comfortable that she decided to keep it on.
So now I’ve had to find another hoodie in the same size and material to get for her so I can have mine back.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Rei M.
A manospherian could have worked up several bitter, aggrieved posts about the ongoing saga of your hoodie.

Hambeast
Hambeast
1 year ago

As someone who worked as a retail wage slave for ten years, I’d like to second what Catalpa said.

It always tainted my enjoyment of the holiday to know I had to get up early the next morning to face hoards of Black Friday shoppers. I refuse to even leave my home on Black Friday now! I’m thankful I don’t have to do that anymore.

Husbeast and I went to a late celebration yesterday with some new friends and were treated to a gourmet feast that lasted most of the day and into the evening. On Thanksgiving day, we had ham with mac n’ cheese and mixed veg. It was nice.

We’re looking forward to attending a Hogswatch party early next month; Husbeast is going as Rincewind and yours truly is going as the goddess Anoia. Kidbeast is going as Buddy from Soul Music. We just found out last night that we will have a Hogfather, too!

Z&T
Z&T

Happy Belated TG, and Holiday Season All 🙂

Self and friends here caved on our diet today (for health, not weight loss) and got some beer. And a pizza. We strays (no close family or family who don’t do a big TG) made a special dinner for ourselves of: Mixed salad with blue cheese dressing, steak, with grilled mushrooms and red onion, baked potato, with butter and sour cream, roasted acorn squash (with butter and brown sugar), and fresh green beans. And Mexican Coke (is made with cane sugar rather than HFCS).

It was an excellent feast! 🙂
And relatively healthy too. I’m telling myself 😀

Dessert was vanilla cake + chocolate and mint ice cream.

The same as usual for us here, slogging along, can’t complain.

Hope everyone is doing well 🙂

Full Metal Ox

@Hambeast:

A crowning touch would be if someone could arrange for this little guy to put in an appearance:

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

Aaaaaaaahhhhh that lil Death of Rats!!!

How does one dress up as Anoia I wonder…