advocacy of violence are we the baddies? armageddon artistry civility crackpottery creepy mass murder is good actually memes men who should not ever be with women ever none dare call it conspiracy not a cult QAnon trump

I have seen the future of #QAnon meming, and his name is BD-13 67

Another classic “are we the baddies?” moment, courtesy of BD-13 67

By David Futrelle

So I was browsing through the #QAnon hashtag on Twitter, as one does, and admiring the amazing graphic design abilities of the Q Believers and MAGAheads in general, when I ran across a couple of memes that made me wonder if I was hallucinating.

After further investigation of the meme artist responsible for them I have concluded that, well, I’m not the one who’s hallucinating. I would try  to explain further, but nothing I could write would quite capture the, er, unique vision of this sui generis genius. And so, without further ado, let me present you with some selections from the ever-growing oeuvre of the man they call BD-13 67, a.k.a. @BowsOverBoston, a.k.a. Bobby Dembow.

Here’s the meme that first caught my eye and caused me to wonder if my brain was working properly.

But this is merely the tip of one fucking trippy iceberg.

As the meme above suggests, BD seems to have a bit of an obsession with Ivanka Trump, though his tributes to what he sees as her fierce beauty are undermined somewhat by his inability to understand how human necks work.

BD also seems to think Melania is hot stuff as well.

BD has devoted much of his energy in recent weeks to promoting the hashtag #RedOctober, a reference to a typically vague QAnon promise that something big and terrible is coming this month that will utterly ruin the Democrats before the midterms.

For someone purportedly on the side of “light” and “truth,” BD has a penchant for  exceedingly dark and violent imagery; many of his #RedOctober memes look a bit like rejected posters for extremely low-budget horror films. It doesn’t help that he makes frequent use of the stylized skull logo that has come to be associated with Q.

Weirdly, most of these memes are filled with admonitions to vote, though presumably BD is aware that the midterms take place in November, not October.

The ones featuring the slogan “Make it Happen” — sometimes rendered in rather hackneyed horror movie fonts — strike me as the most ominous.

At this point it’s basically obligatory to make a reference to the Mitchell and Webb “Are we the baddies” sketch. (If you’ve already watched that one too many times, here’s a completely unrelated bit from Mr. Show that’s pretty funny. I mean, there’s really no reason for me to post it here but, hey, it’s been a pretty shitty week.)

My favorite of BD’s “are we the baddies” memes has to be this one, with the phrase “TRUST YOUR FELLOW MAN” incongruously appearing underneath a glowing, skull-faced Trump standing on what I can only assume is supposed to be a beach on the Bikini atoll shortly after the bomb tests that rendered it uninhabitable.

Some of the memes refer vaguely to the alleged “evil” that Trump and his followers are allegedly battling, but in many of them it’s not clear what exactly this evil is supposed to be. Here “evil” seems to be a child … walking on a railing?

This one seems to suggest that Trump and his eagle buddy here are themselves the evil to be vanquished.

As for this one, your guess is as good as mine:

“Vote them all out” is a rather unusual message for someone supporting the party that controls the White House and both houses of Congress to push. And indeed, more than a few of BD’s memes might at first glance appear to be anti-Trump, anti-GOP memes dreamed up by some graphic-design-deficient #Resistance fighter on a meth binge.

What has BD got against astronauts, anyway?

But BD’s memes don’t just reference horror and apocalyptic science fiction. Some of the #RedOctober memes have a distinctly western feel, having been, er, “inspired” by promo art for the video game Red Dead Redemption 2, which, much like QAnon’s assorted predictions, has been plagued by confusion and delays. (It’s supposedly shipping later this month. We’ll see. But unlike QAnon’s predictions, it’s pretty clear that it will materialize in the real world at some point.)

Then again, BD may not be able to tell west from east — as evidenced by this enigmatic meme featuring the Great Wall of China as a sort of stand-in for Trump’s as-yet-unbuilt wall on our country’s southern border.

But of all BD’s puzzling memes, I find this one perhaps the most puzzling.

Why an escalator? Because Trump famously rode down one on the day he announced his candidacy to a crowd of “supporters” who were mostly paid actors? In light of the revelations about Trump’s paid supporters at that event, why would any Trump fan want to remind anyone of it in a meme?

I can’t answer those questions. But there IS one question about BD-13 67 that I can answer definitively: Does he happen to have a Soundcloud where he posts exceedingly bland but basically competent self-produced instrumental tracks in a sort of Reggaeton style?

The answer is yes. Yes, he does.

I may return to BD and his memes in a later post, examining his pre-#RedOctober work. But right now, after many hours staring at these weird and baffling memes, I think I need a break and I suspect you all do too.

jsrtheta
jsrtheta

Having been born and raised in Boston and environs, I really hope he has no actual connection to the place.

And I have to think Putin is laughing his ass off over the “Red October” bit. I mean, why not just come out and say “Trump is going to lead us to our glorious Communist paradise!”? Though this idiot seems too clueless and ignorant to even know what Red October means. Sort of like “Get a Brain Morans” or “Keep your government hands off my Medicare.”

I can’t believe these guys win anything.

tim gueguen

The Melania “helmet of salvation” one, yeesh. Has this guy never heard of the term “White man’s burden?”

“We are ready to fight for a better world” sounds pretty fascist to me in this context. A little too close to the “14 words” some of the Neonazi crowd are fond of.

Ichthyic
Ichthyic

Well, there’s clearly no reason for this dude to have a website. you’ve posted pretty much his entire portfolio right here.

free advertising.

yeah yeah, I know “shine a light”

but did you really need to make it an entire studio’s worth of lights?

Bina

I’m sure he has, and he probably takes it very, very seriously. I’m also 110% certain that he actually believes that intense, genocidal, fascistic racism, the kind in which everyone who isn’t white is either killed or enslaved in the name of Jesus, is the answer to everything.

As for the rest of it, well…let’s just say that the satire writes itself. There is literally nothing you could make to mock these people that they haven’t already made for themselves. Probably under the influence of some serious bath salts.

Cthulhu, take the wheel.

Bina

Also, this seems appropriate for all this.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

Ooh, scary. Red October looks super scary.

Not nearly as scary as the economic, social, political, and environmental destruction that Trump and the Republican Party are visiting upon planet Earth. But still super scary.

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie
Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie

BD-13 67,

The Punisher called. He wants his skull design returned to him yesterday, or else he’s gonna stop by for a…chat with you.
comment image

And that includes the skull with the flag design as well.

comment image?fit=428%2C456&ssl=1

ETA: If I get a choice for October theme months, I’ll take Inktober over this Red October junk any day.

dustydeste
dustydeste

Okay.

A. The one with the astronaut looks like he’s pissing on the skull, a la those peeing Calvin decals that Bill Watterson hates, so that’s, uh, hilarious.

B. What the everliving fuck is up with those font choices? Even just using easily-available free fonts, it would take very little effort to be much edgier than this mommyblog bs (no hate to mommyblogs but why is this guy ripping their style?)

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

I have no desire to click on it to find out, so just to know, does anyone else at all use that RedOctober hastag, or is this just him trying to make it a thing?

As for the “This evil must be destroyed” one with the kid on the railing, well, that kid is clearly wearing a MAGA hat, so our pal may not be completely wrong.

Shadowplay

@ Rabid Rabbit

I clicked. And he’s not the only one – though weeding out their RedOctober from the big party happening in Soho on the 26th is tricky (The party has better graphics)

misophistry
misophistry

He went down the rabbit hole just to see how far it goes… Now his head is stuck and the rabbits are angry.

Neurite
Neurite

Two things:

(1) I suspect the peeing astronaut image is indeed a visual reference to those “Calvin peeing on something the decal maker wants to mock” car decals that probably give poor Bill Watterson acid reflux, used to make some sort of defiant statement about the presumed insufficient patriotism in the new movie “First Man”. The Right has been bellyaching about how that movie won’t show the US Flag planted on the Moon because liberal traitors hating America or something. (According to the movie makers, that’s not even correct – apparently the movie doesn’t show that actual moment of planting the flag, but the flag – very much planted on the Moon – does apparently indeed appear in several shots. I dunno, I haven’t seen it.)

So I am reading this along the lines of “Here’s an image of the US Flag on the moon, take that, libs! Triggered?! Mwah hah hah, I pee on you!” Which makes it more comprehensible to me than the vast majority of this guy’s imagery.

(2) The “Dead Men Walking” graphic includes, among others, John McCain. I would have thought the he, at the very least, would be a dead man not walking very much at all these days. Unless our auteur is also trying to imply that Trump is some sort of powerful necromancer in addition to everything. (Axctually, given the rest of his oevre, it’s not entirely out of the question that he does in fact believe that about Trump.)

reggie, the neighbour's cat
reggie, the neighbour's cat

So with the second Ivanka one, Ivanka is an evil bobblehead who is being destroyed by her bobbly head falling off her overly long and narrow neck, right? At least that’s the message that the terrible visual gives across.

Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer

Since one of Q-anon’s accusations is that the other side is a giant pedophile ring, maybe the kid on the railing is supposed to be one of the child victims they claim to be defending?

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Can we share more Mr. Show sketches?

Cindy
Cindy

@Redsilkphoenix

I kinda wish somebody would pay mister BD-13 67 a visit. One he wouldn’t necessarily be walking away from. 😛

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

7th meme down – “There is nothing more precious than our children.”. This galls me. As long as they’re white, American-born children, right? And to hell with the others.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

“Take the Helmet of Salvation and the Sword of the Spirit” sounds like something out of Mystery Men. “We struck down evil with the sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering.”

I’m in awe of the ineptness of these memes. They’re so vague about what the “evil” is and why it “must be destroyed”. He’s lazily trying to provoke horror and fear, but also cram in as much right wing iconography as possible, which has the effect of making Trump and eagles and astronauts look like the evil that needs to be defeated. I mean:

“There is nothing more precious than our children”

(Trump brandishing a chainsaw)

“This evil must be destroyed”

Now there’s a winning message. “Voters! Your love for your children is evil and must be amputated”

Violet the Vile, Moonbat Screech Junky
Violet the Vile, Moonbat Screech Junky

AAAH I’m severely allergic to terrible graphic design, can someone please grab my injector pen from my bag?

Ugh, that’s horrible. And also hilariously Russian: is that intentional?

Mea
Mea

Could the escalator refer to the escalation of this meme “war”? Or am I thinking about this too hard?

Marshmallow Stacey Maximal (formerly bluecat)
Marshmallow Stacey Maximal (formerly bluecat)

The fourth one down seems to be saying that a manga version of Ivanka will behead her father for the common good. Which is unlikely, though I can see the appeal.

The escalator one, first thoughts were, “Why is an orange Pepe the frog having a crap on Trump’s escalator?”

And then… well, what could be more apt?

Trump is the neo-nazi-repurposed cartoon figure’s steaming dump on a moving staircase.

tim gueguen

@Neurite perhaps he believes that McCain isn’t actually dead, but is secretly being held in a “dark site” someplace so he can be tried with the rest of the supposed traitors when Red October happens. I’m sure someone out there in QAnonland thinks McCain’s death was faked.

cornychips
cornychips

I thought “the sky is falling” is from the story chicken little. It paints trump as either the stupid chicken or the wolf that ate everyone.

Moggie
Moggie

This is a big signal boost for someone who seems to be largely ignored by the QAnon crowd. I took a look at the twitter feed, and all the like and retweet counts are pathetic. I think drawing attention to this individual is a misstep.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

Has this guy never heard of…

Nope

The thing that the igno-right is most proud of is their lack of, and their intense hatred for, LEARNING

BlueNinja
BlueNinja

One would think that anyone with half a brain, or at the very least a present and functional frontal lobe, might get just a little suspicious of what someone with such a clear obsession with horror style depictions actually considers a “better world” to fight for.

Very disturbing that there is such a sizeable demographic that just eats this insanity up. Talk about incredibly easy to control through fear mongering. What the hell is wrong with them? Were they, ironically, the ones in fact too coddled and sheltered in childhood to the point that it is this easy for them to believe that the world is that scary? Or did fire and brimstone church preaching have a hand in it?

The Left will never get these people on its side as the majority aren’t so low as to abuse people’s fears like that for votes. (Not that the Left is entirely innocent and of the highest morals all the time, but this crap from the Far Right is so abusive and manipulative that it should be illegal…) As long as the country keeps getting weaker (despite crazy people thinking this is somehow strength) and more fearful like this it may just keep heading for that hell hole these people so desperately want it to be for some reason, maybe even just to feel validated. (But hey, if you dig the hole deep enough, maybe the illegals will think it’s not worth the jump.)

At what point does it become best to split the country into two and let these people run their side as they see fit like this. And how soon do they start to become like the Mexicans they fear, trying to get into our non-crazy half.

Also, that astronaut is definitely peeing fire on that skull.

Shadow
Shadow

Reggaeton!! A MAGA making Reggaeton beats! My life is compete, bring on the chainsaw

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

@Redsilkphoenix

I mean, it’s not for nothing that The Punisher is very popular with right wing asshats. Dude is like a politically incorrect Batman knockoff whose superpower is gun fetishism. He is the kind of stony-eyed killer that comically insecure white men fantasize about becoming.

Srsly, fuck that entire genre of gun fetish antiheroes.

Dan Kasteray
Dan Kasteray

@Cyborgette

I remember when the Tick took the piss out of gun toting anti heroes

Robert
Robert

This is like a very badly designed Alternate Reality Game.

Also, it’s October 20th and there haven’t been any signs of whatever this cholmondeley is burbling about.

dustydeste
dustydeste

@Neurite:

I actually don’t thiiiink the Calvin imagery is intentional; the image used appears to be of the astronaut on the moon with the curvature of the Earth visible in the background, but with the contrast and red turned way up.

I want to believe that if the astronaut was intended to be whizzing on the left or whatever, that he wouldn’t be “peeing” out of his knee, and that the left would be represented in some way? As is, duder’s just peeing on either the Trumq skull or the #RedOctober hashtag. Or the moon, I guess?

That all said, it’s clear BD’s not exactly the sharpest crayon in the pack, so god knows it could be intentional because “lol pee”.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

@BlueNinja:

Comments policy…

Nequam
Nequam

@Cyborgette: more properly, the Punisher is The Executioner for people who’d rather read comic books.

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

@Dan Kasteray

You mean this guy?

OMG… just perfect. What have I been missing?

Mayu Kitsune
Mayu Kitsune

Man what astounds me is how uncreative the Qanon crowd is getting, I mean Qanon is just Pizzagate BUT BIGGER and all these memes are either stock photos of people, things, and locations, or stolen from video games. Theres the red dead stuff but I saw Saints Row, Skyrim, American Mcgee’s Alice in Wonderland (Rabbit hole I guess?) And Red Steel of all places, that famously remembered Wii game Ubisoft made. And the whole fact the skull emblem these Qtips use is just the Punisher logo, sometimes with a Trump wig, most of the time not. I wonder if they are just going to start copying each other or get even more lazy and just start making them in MS paint

Dillon Schulz
Dillon Schulz

https://publish.twitter.com/oembed url=https://twitter.com/BowsOverBoston/status/1047649071895400448/photo/1

How dare they mess with Red Steel.

Fabe
Fabe

These memes remind me of the subliminal messages from the movie ‘They live’

vaiyt
vaiyt

These guys are taking “It’s hip to be square” to its absurd extreme. Yeah, let’s show we’re slick, rebels and ahead of the curve by cheerleading for the party of old money and entrenched privilege!

brian
brian

how the fuck does anyone say something like “The Great Meme War of 2018” SINCERELY???

epitome of incomprehensibility

Buttercup Q. Skullpants –

😛

The quote’s from the Bible, but that doesn’t get me any closer to understanding the picture. White clothes = spiritual, maybe? The language fits with his other military metaphors, but the helmet in the picture isn’t even an army helmet.

Neurite
Neurite

dustydeste:

…the image used appears to be of the astronaut on the moon with the curvature of the Earth visible in the background, but with the contrast and red turned way up.

*looks back at image* *squints* It sure is. Don’t I have egg on my face. Apparently I engaged in some spectacular overthinking based on misreading an image. Dangit, and here I thought I understood at least one of his images!

Neurite
Neurite

tim gueguen: That’s… actually scarily plausible for the Qanon crowd.

Full Metal Ox

That incantatory “FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!” refrain, particularly given the context of high WhatTheFuckery, reminds me of nothing so much as the Conniptin battle cry from Cerebus the Aardvark:

The shot of Trump with the eagle makes sense if you construe “THIS EVIL MUST BE DESTROYED” as Uncle Sam the Eagle’s response to Trump in that infamous photo session gone wrong. (Any self-respecting Roman augur could’ve told you what it means when your nation’s emblematic bird attacks an aspiring head of state.)

Great American Satan

I don’t have time to interface with the comments here properly, sorry. I don’t know if anyone has posted this, but it should be said: McInnes’s “proud boys” were recently seen making fetishistic reference to a political assassination in Japan in the early 20th century that is widely seen as having helped the ascendance of right wing nationalism there, and is seen by these creeps as a good idea.

That incident was televised live and the perpetrator was a young unmoored man manipulated by creepy fascists into throwing his life away, captured and hung himself in his cell.

The idea an incident can have the same effect here should be taken seriously in this way: They believe it. They think they can sway the election with a showy terrorist incident. So they may try it.

Again, sorry to allude to something without posting the relevant links history. Saw a tumblr post screen capping a twitter feed of someone named Naomi something? Sounds sketch but it looked strongly legit, well supported.

Rhymenoceros
Rhymenoceros

A person with too much free time and too little free thought.

Katamount
Katamount

….sooooo, they’re using references to Red Dead Redemption, along with a Punisher logo… but what they come up with is the name given to the Russian October Revolution in 1917 and popularized through a Tom Clancy novel about a fictional ballistic missile submarine?

I mean, how do you come up with that and now work Sean Connery into it?

comment image

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Isn’t the Punisher logo trademarked?

I mean, I know Edgelord McIt’sNotAPhaseMom doesn’t care about the law, but Marvel just might.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

The logo is undoubtedly trademarked, but, what these asshats are doing with it doesn’t appear to be a “use in commerce” that would fall under the regulations of the Lanham Act. I suppose a case might be made that the way they’re using it is defaming the brand, but it’s an obscure corner of the chans that 99.999% of the planet’s population remain (blissfully) oblivious to, and Marvel is probably happy to leave it that way rather than gift them with the oodles of publicity a lawsuit would bring along with it.

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie
Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie

@Full Metal Ox,

Which photo shoot are you referring to? I don’t immediately recall where that happened at.

@Great American Satan,

Thanks for that info. I clicked through to the original Guardian report of that assassination from someone else’s link to that Republican / Proud Boys dinner, but had no idea why something that happened in 1950’s Japan had any relevance to 2018 USA politics. That these guys seem to think that a similar assassination would get them their desired results is quite worrisome, to say the least. Though that does bring up the thought of who they think would be the best target for such an attack would be. Another Republican politician? Someone who’s a lot more progressive than that?

As for the Punisher logo being used in these memes, I get the sense that if someone were to ask this guy “what is the Punisher ‘s real name, and who and why is he shooting people up?” that he’d not be able to answer that. (The answer is Frank Castle, and he’s waging a one-man war on the Mafia over them killing his wife and kids during a Mob war shoot-out. Unless they’ve changed that since I last read comics ages ago.)

I mean seriously, the way this guy uses that skull emblem, it’s like all he knows about it is that it’s a cool-looking skull, not that it’s part of a character’s backstory or anything. Otherwise he’d put it on the shirts of the people he uses in the memes, instead of as a background element.

At least, in my opinion anyway. YMMV, and all that.