brett kavanaugh misogyny open thread rape culture trump

Open thread for yelling about Kavanaugh and this dark day for democracy

Thanks for nothing, Susan Collins!

By David Futrelle

What a fucking dark day for women, for survivors, for everyone who cares about democracy.

Here’s a thread for venting, lamenting, planning for November and beyond. No trolls.

Some relevant tweets:

There are a lot of reasons to be angry today. This thread presents a few reasons for hope.

The symbolism here seems a bit on the nose.

Big Kitty
Big Kitty

Thanks for this, David. I’m usually just a lurker – albeit a loyal one! – but today I want to comment because I’m consistently impressed by how geographically diverse your community here is.

I live in NYC, the most ultramarine-blue part of a very blue state, so even though I never miss an election, I’m always left feeling like I’m just making a symbolic statement. Here’s my question for all of you USA red-state Mammotheers:

What can you think of that somebody like me could do to help poor people, young people, people of color, LGBTQ people, etc., in your area GET TO THE POLLS in November?

Is there a poor neighborhood near you where old folks might have trouble getting a ride to the polls, and is there any local group that wants to help them out that I could send a couple bucks to?

Is there a local GOTV effort in your area aimed at young POC and LGBTQ folks that an out-of-stater could support?

Please share your ideas. I just feel like there’s got to be more that people in my situation can do. Thanks!

Ooglyboggles

Wat a complete shitshow. Fuck Susan Collins for voting in Brett and fuck Manchin for adding salt on the wound by giving gop ammo to call this a bipartisan vote.

Ichthyic
Ichthyic

the only thing that would make me happy is to see americans finally wake up and realize that their country has been taken away from them, and that they will have to fight hard, and risk everything, to get it back.

this is not the future, this is now. you have ALREADY LOST your country.

wake the fuck up already.

tim gueguen

We are a country where two presidents who both lost the popular vote have now placed four justices on the Supreme Court. Democracy in action.

Cue the “The United States is a Republic, not a democracy” crowd. I’m sure at least one person will throw that at Ms. Ioffe.

Mexican Hot Chocolate
Mexican Hot Chocolate

Collins’s vote was a supreme act of moral cowardice. America deserves better than Kavanaugh and the people of Maine deserve better than Susan Collins.

Tilly
Tilly

Toadstool Trump – the destroyer of nations. Vote, vote, vote out these d*cks!

Rabid Rabbit

It’s interesting. Until Susan Collins made her announcement, I always thought (as a non-USAian) that right-wing shills yelling about “Treason” was just… well, right-wing shilling. And now I find myself hoping for crowds (mostly comprised of women) yelling the word “traitor” at her.

Trumpworld makes all of us worse people.

Tilly
Tilly

Well Rabid Rabbit, I think it’s pretty obvious now that you’re not going to take down Toadstool Trump and his minions with polite discourse…it requires determined action and organization, or it’s back to the coat-hanger days for American women.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

Treason and rape are rethiglican values.

KindaSortaHarmless
KindaSortaHarmless

@Tilly

Given the parallels between America and 1930s Germany, I really hope the parallels won’t have to extend to the 1940s, with Allied armies storming our beaches, bombing our cities, liberating our prison camps, and hanging our leaders for crimes against humanity.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Right now I’m ashamed of my country and angry at my senators.

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

@KindaSortaHarmless

They won’t and can’t, because the United States is a nuclear superpower.

I have to get my passport renewed, but also have too many friends who need to get out, and IDK… Not sure anywhere on the planet will be safe. Nevermind that most people I know can’t easily migrate anyway because of disabilities (me included).

I’m kind of numb and broken right now. This is going to get ugly beyond imagining. I knew it would get to this as soon as Trump started doing his thing, Fascism always wins in democratic elections – but the shock is still an awful lot.

Imperator Kahlo
Imperator Kahlo

My heart is breaking for all of you, and especially for everyone who ripped open their own wounds and begged the Republicans to look at them and care. It mattered to me that you did that. I saw you. Please take care of yourselves now.

Oh, and we *are* going to tear this racist fucking patriarchy to the ground and dance on its ashes. I’m crying, but I’ve also never felt such white-hot rage.

iknklast
iknklast

First, try persuading them it will make a difference.

Second, find a way to convince them that a vote for the Dems is important, even if the Dems are not perfect and might even be quite conflicted.

Third, pay them. Free pizza, free beer, and money. Especially if they have to take off their hourly, minimum wage job to vote.

The problem is, in my area (as in some others), it is rare to have Democrats actually on the ballot. I have lived here for 12 years, and have only twice voted in a local election that had a challenger. I do my part by refusing to vote for the one person they put up and casting a right in vote, but if you have no one to vote for, why go to the polls? President we have a choice. Governor we occasionally have a choice. But even in challenged elections, it is likely we have a choice between two Republicans, because our state and local elections are non-partisan, so the partisans can be sure they will have one of their own. I just vote for the one that wants to maintain at least part of the public school funding, because that’s usually about the only difference there is, and it’s an important one. I usually lose. We’re fortunate that our legislator is not the only one in the Legislature. And that we have Ernie Chambers (who is 80 now, and will be term limited out at the end of his current term).

Nequam
Nequam

On a micro scale, I had a nice day at a local library sale, but that small light is getting smothered by a cloud of wondering if this will end in blood and fire– and would I be willing to shed blood or light matches.

NavigatorBR
NavigatorBR

Fuck this whole shit show.

Fuck 2018.
Preemptively fuck 2019.
Preemptively fuck 2020.
(Even if we vote the ‘orange highway barrel’ out, 2020 is going to be a shitty year.)

@NavigatorBR

But if he is voted out, the New Year’s Eve party is going to be amazing.

iknklast
iknklast

But if he is voted out, the New Year’s Eve party is going to be amazing

Until his followers set everything on fire.

Samantha Kaswell
Samantha Kaswell

The Republican fascists have been working on this for decades, counting on an increasingly apathetic population to avoid voting and a Democratic party that has become more and more beholden to moneyed interests.

There are, however, good things happening and real power that we actually have. For one, women and the men who are our real friends are finally getting seriously angry and motivated. The news outlets are not reporting on the immensity of this, but we do have the Internet, which the German, Jewish, Italian and other folk never had before.

We also have the power to change our states. Look at the West Coast and what we have been doing out here. While the Federal government may be tied up, for now, by fascist monsters, we can effect global change by working, playing and creating locally. I live in Oregon, and we have done and will do amazing things. We can take our country back, state by state.

The more progressives, especially progressive women, we put into local and state positions, the more we strengthen democracy from the grassroots. I joined the League of Women Voters, the ACLU, and a number of environmental groups. Even the smallest actions, when added together, create large waves that can wash away the crap. What the men in D.C. and other places are doing to the environment and to women are connected and the last thing we should do is stop voicing these truths.

They want us to like them, to aquiese, and to turn a blind eye and deaf ear. They want us to keep their secrets. Time to speak our truths, as women, as real men, as citizens who embrace our connections to the rest of the living world.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

So, what was Manchin’s price? Or was he blackmailed?

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

@Surplus

None, he’s a conservative and has a record of siding with Republicans.

Vida
Vida

Thanks for this. I am another lurker who is moving from anger to cold rage. Trying to stay positive, trying to gotv in my small way. Hoping the election results will be honest but not too hopeful. I know despair leads nowhere good but it’s tough times. This blog gives me a sliver of hope.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

OK, then why the hell does he have a “D” by his name instead of an “R”? Sounds like he’s in the wrong party. And is a traitor to the one he’s in.

PommedeTerrible
PommedeTerrible

In this political abyss, I just want to say thank you to David, and to all of the commenters here who give me hope. I am a chronic lurker who enjoys these clever, caring, respectful people who want to make a world that is safe for everyone. Don’t despair, vote! This is a long fight, but we can be victorious. We’ll probably want to scream and throw shit a lot, but we are resilient. And yard sale dishes are cheap! M Pomme

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

OK, change of topic to Canadian politics.

Why am I frequently seeing Tory ads on TV for the 2019 federal election, and only Tory ads? Neither of the other major parties is broadcasting. Meanwhile that privileged little git Scheer keeps saying how people are getting by, but not getting ahead, and promising to fix that. I know it’s snake oil — since when has a conservative government ever made anything better for the little guy? — but it’s airing fairly often and 100% unopposed by word one from any other candidate. It’s bothersome and worrying, especially after what happened to Ontario recently …

Moggie
Moggie

It’s weird how Soros conspiracy theories have been moving from the fringe to the mainstream. Now Giuliani has retweeted this:

Follow the money. I think Soros is the anti-Christ! He must go! Freeze his assets & I bet the protests stop

Normal country.

Pie
Pie

@Moggie

The weirdest thing is that, billionaire-wise, Soros is small beans. The Koch brothers are each worth nearly 10 times what he is. Trump and Thiel together are worth about the same amount as Soros.

Presumably the subtext is “there’s a vast and powerful left-wing conspiracy behind him” rather than “right-wing billionaires are inefficient and incompetent”.

Moggie
Moggie

Don’t overlook the anti-semitic angle, when the right criticises Soros. When he’s referred to as the anti-Christ, the dog whistle could hardly be louder. When a close associate of the president retweets someone calling for the freezing of the assets of a wealthy Jew, I think American Jews could be forgiven for wondering whether a Kristallnacht is coming.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Freeze his assets on what basis? I’m old enough to remember when the Republicans were screaming about due process.

This is truly frightening. They really do believe that they have consolidated power to such a degree that they won’t ever be held accountable again. I hope it’s because they’re just overconfident due to living in a bubble. I fear it’s because the elections are rigged and they know they’ll win no matter what. The other possibility is they’ll accuse China of rigging it if the Democrats win one or both houses of congress and will make an attempt at overturning the election.

I’m also starting to be certain that now Trump knows that he can’t be indicted while in office, he doesn’t intend to ever leave office.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

As a Mainer, I’ve been seeing white hot anger against Susan Collins from my friends and co-workers who were formerly lukewarm or apathetic about her. Year after year, Mainers have been returning her to Washington because she was supposedly “moderate” and had seniority. She talked a good game about standing up for her constituents and not playing politics.

Those days are over. She’s squandered any good will she once had.

Maine now has ranked choice voting. It’s going to eliminate third spoiler candidates siphoning votes away from Democrats, which is what’s helped Susan Collins stay in power and gave us eight years of our very own little mini-Trump governor. Her approval rating among likely Maine voters has plummeted from 60% last year to 35% in the latest poll (and that was before she announced her yes vote). Voters started turning against her when she sold us out on the tax bill and got played by Mitch McConnell. The Crowdpac $20.20 fundraiser has already raised $2 million dollars for her opponent.

As for Kavanaugh, it’s beyond outrageous that a lying rapist with an alcohol and gambling problem and mysterious debt benefactors is being rewarded with a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the land. It’s horrifying, the extent to which they don’t care and we don’t matter.

I think it’s worth reflecting that at no time in history have we ever been able to depend on the Supreme Court to defend the rights of women, minorities, workers, poor people, and dissenters. Those rights only come alive when people boycott, protest, and violate the law. Courts are not the vanguard of social justice. They lag behind by decades. Courts only come around much later, after citizens engage in direct action powerful enough to win these rights for themselves. The Brown v. Board of Education decision didn’t come from a suddenly enlightened court realizing that desegregated schools are a good idea. It came about because of the bravery of Southern families, and the realization by the government that they were losing hearts and minds around the globe, at a time when the Cold War was in full swing. Roe vs. Wade started out as a grassroots campaign, state by state.

It’s going to be up to us, at the state level, to find a way to subvert all the shitty decisions that are going to get handed down by the Kavanaugh court. It’s depressing, and it sucks, that we’re going to have to fight the same stupid battles all over again just to regain lost ground. But the Mitch McConnells of the world need to discover that abandoning the rule of law cuts both ways. If they refuse to recognize our humanity by extending the same basic rights they claim for themselves, we’re not obligated to respect them as legitimate rulers. Whatever way we can fuck up the system, whether it’s voting or takeovers of local school boards or consumer boycotts or everybody kneeling for the national anthem, I’m all for it.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

What do you think the reason behind this was? Is Collins afraid of being primaried? Was she promised a cushy lobbying or consulting job if she votes yes and it costs her her seat? Is she just so removed from her constituents that she thinks voting yes is what they wanted? It just seems so cruel and sadistic to string along the entire country and listen to constituents who are survivors of sexual violence beg her to vote no only to announce at the last minute that she’s a yes. Why give up the pretense that she’s a reasonable and compassionate pro choice moderate when her entire career and all the good will she gets from the political press is based on that pretense?

I read somewhere that her husband is a lobbyist with financial ties to Russian oligarchs. Is that true?

AsAboveSoBelow
AsAboveSoBelow

Used to post here sometimes, have been lurking for months.

iknklast wrote:

First, try persuading them it will make a difference.

Yeah, I’m no longer convinced it makes any difference, and I’m a member of the white middle class. How much more discouraged must minorities and those worse off than I am feel? Nobody cares.

I’m reading Kershaw’s biography of Hitler, and though I’ve always been loath to invoke the dictator, I’m seeing parallels between his rise and Drumpf’s. I’m very worried, and feel utterly powerless.

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)

Re “Soros money”

Apparently, Koch et al think their money is too good to be spent on things like political influence. Or else…

This summer, I ended up discussing politics with a couple coworkers, who I thought might perhaps want to join the Helsinki summit main protest against Trump/Putin.

One of them claimed she feels any political protesting is potentially personally risky, and therefore to be avoided. OK, whatever. Her family is from China, so maybe it’s an inherited attitude. Maybe it was just a polite excuse.

The other coworker turned out to be an “immigration critic” and a believer in some weird shit. He claimed to believe that political protesting, voting etc. is a waste of time because everything is really run by “a few oligarch families”. Of course, that may also have been a polite excuse. Who knows, maybe he went to attend a pro-Trump gathering that weekend, like a small handful of Finns did.

Anyway, he sounded quite serious explaining that these “few” oligarchs own “most of the world’s wealth”. He didn’t claim it was a particularly left-wing oligarchy – instead he went straight on to mention “the Rothschilds” and their “3 trillion property”*. Later, he mentioned “Jews and Arabs” as examples of these oligarchs. So indeed, a vastly powerful and notably ethnic oligarchy, it’d seem. He claimed to have learned it from some Russian friends (that he’d known in meatspace).

* Just being generally out of words, and to amuse myself, I tried to confirm if he meant this in US trillions (and dollars, I’d presume) or European trillions. He didn’t seem to know or care about the difference. Maybe it was just meant as “very large number”. Mind you, we work/study in a field that generally requires certain amount of pedantry about facts and definitions.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@WWTH – Eric Garland had a thread about Susan Collins’ husband, Thomas Daffron, and his lobbyist ties to Russia. Was that where you heard about it?

I don’t know for sure if she’s compromised, but she’s certainly behaving like it. Her emails likely would have been included in the RNC hack. It’s really suspicious how many GOP lawmakers have taken a rightward lurch in the past 18 months. Lindsay Graham went from dissing Trump to being one of his biggest cheerleaders practically overnight. There’s either a carrot (wealth and unlimited power) or a stick (stay out of jail) behind their autocratic behavior.

Maybe she figures her best move is to burn her bridges with Maine voters, retire in 2020, and accept a cushy Heritage Foundation job. She was making noises about retiring this year and running for governor, but then abruptly decided her country needed her. (Like a hole in the head.)

Whatever her deal is, it’s clear there’s no place for moderates in the GOP any more. Maybe if the Republicans had been nicer and smiled more often, they wouldn’t have driven the independent voters away from her.

Ismnotwasm
Ismnotwasm

I am full of very salty “I fucking told you so” the Supreme Court was in play, and people didn’t bother to vote, or hated Hillary or what the fuck ever. Jesus what a clusterfuck. I am angry, but I expected this so I suppose I’m in better emotional shape, because I’ve stayed angry. Part of me will always be angry and I welcome this

PeeVee the Tired
PeeVee the Tired

Fuck.

PeeVee the Tired
PeeVee the Tired

Well, I’m obviously getting stuck in the spam file.

Which is par for the fucking course, these days.

Piss on it all. Fuck it, I’m done.

@WWTH

So am I. It was just this week, while they were busy making sure due process wasn’t served.

Rabid Rabbit

Missed the edit window. But I think we could all use some brain bleach.

Montserrat Caballe has died, which is not really the sort of brain bleach I’d like, but is an excuse for watching this again.

Rabid Rabbit

Actually, this might be more appropriate:

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

Oh God, Ford is going to be hounded and harassed for years by Trumpletons. For all their shrieks of “due process” for Brett, they’ll be sending her death threats for “false accusations” because don’t all women lie about rape? Unless she is white and the perp isn’t. Of course. /s

Ladies and gents, are we seeing a backlash to #MeToo? I mean, revolving around the case has been a lot more articles *about* false rape accusations lately, and op pieces about how “men can’t even say Hi to a woman now” blah blah blah. I’m so afraid that alt-righters will use K’s confirmation as “proof that she was lying” and from that, have ammunition to accuse every alleged rape that makes it to the news as “bitch be lying, just like Ford.”

Oh and no doubt they’ll whip out the “white conservative men are so persecuted boo hoo” card as well.

MCN
MCN

So, yes, he’ll be confirmed. I never doubted it, the Republicans have a majority right now. But here’s the thing: dude put a huge black cloud over his own head for no good reason. He played the partisan hack. He lied to the Senate, and we all heard it. He’d better hope Republicans retain the Senate, because if they don’t I guarantee we’ll all find out how a SC justice impeachment works. And he’ll blame everybody else, but he did this. Amy Barrett wouldn’t have been so stupid, so maybe we dodged a bullet there.

epitome of incomprehensibility

So it happened after all that – Kavanaugh became one of the Supreme Court judges. Ugh.

@Surplus – I don’t have great news in Quebec either. The CAQ (Coalition Avenir Quebec (“avenir” means, roughly, “future”)) just won the election and they’re talking about limiting immigration and rights for religious minorities.

Some background – for the past 40 years, Quebec has been governed by either the PQ (Parti Quebecois) or the Liberals. Their main difference: the PQ favours Quebec independence, and the Liberals union with Canada. The CAQ wanted to put aside that old argument.

Now, the PQ and Liberals are both supposed to be centre-left. The PQ (though mostly progressive in terms of feminism and LGBTQ+ rights) tried to pass a xenophobic “Charter of Quebec Values”* last time it was in power. The CAQ is NOT better on this – it’s centre-right, so it’s adding conservative anti-immigration sentiment to the old Islamophobia. Joy. 🙁

*Anti-hijab thing, mainly. Under the guise of secularism, it aimed to ban public servants (police officers, teachers, etc.) from wearing “overt religious symbols”… while keeping the giant cross in the National Assembly, of course.

That’s basically what the CAQ wants to bring back. Even if the law weren’t mostly aimed at ethnic minorities and discouraging them from getting jobs, I don’t like think restricting clothing like hijabs or kippahs makes sense from a secular perspective. Don’t think government should be religious? Me neither! So don’t act like a bloody theocracy by banning clothes for religion-related reasons! FFS.

(I’m a bit tired/grumpy; sorry if this is long or unclear.)

@epitome of incomprehensibility

I’m waiting with bated breath, really I am, for the Jewish teacher to be fired for wearing a kippah. Or at least for Legault’s face should every male Jewish teacher in the province decide to wear a kippah in solidarity.

I mean, being anti-Islam is fine, but it’s a lot harder to get away with that sort of anti-Semitism. But not firing them would make him an obvious enough hypocrite, even he might feel some shame.

And if others went to work wearing openly displayed crucifixes and signs on their head saying “Dare you.”

Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer

Also, since Ford, a few weeks ago, used the not-withstanding clause to overrule a court ruling (that his slashing the number of Toronto councillors *after the local elections had started* was unconstitutional), Francois Legault has said he’ll use it to push through any “no religious headgear” law he wants.

Rabid Rabbit

I feel like we Canadians should probably point out that there’s a difference between Ford (as in Doug, as in much less pleasant brother of Rob) and Dr. Ford (as in Oh God I hope she’s all right does she need to move to Canada I’m sure we can organize something).

jone
jone

Mars Attacks: HAHAHA THEY BLEW UP CONGRESS!

It is probably morally wrong to wish the terrorists blew up D.C.
It’s probably morally wrong to wish Obama didn’t kill all the terrorists who would now be prone to blowing up D.C.

I would say that I wish for this supposedly morally wrong thing, but I am afraid the FBI will show up at my door.

Never thought I would say “where are the terrorists now!?”

Not saying that I’m saying that.

Just sayin.

Skylalalalalalala
Skylalalalalalala

October 6, 2018 at 9:11 pm

I think a serious case could be made for her deserving asylum because her life is in danger in the US.

Related: I don’t know if she has any desire to put herself through that, but I wonder what would happen if she decided to file charges against him? There’s no statute of limitations where the crime occured. What happens when a Supreme Court judge is convicted of a crime?

My main fear is all these right wing victories are empowering their hateful rhetoric and is going to result in *shudder* Jason Kenny and UCP beating the NDP in Alberta & Sheer beating Trudeau for PM. Kenney is totally the poster boy for right wing idiots, though. He barely graduated high school, and has been in politics pretty much ever since. He was one of Harper’s buddies and he’s not even from Alberta, so he should be disqualified on that basis alone. He should have stayed in Ontario, The fighting between him & Ford might have let someone decent win.

Rabid Rabbit

Fortunately, the federal Conservatives are going to be divided because the Canadian Trumpites are going to vote for Bernier, who’s still given the funniest “I promise I’m not a racist!” interviews I’ve ever seen.

Not that Trudeau is that great, but he’s generally not actively horrible for the sake of being horrible. And sure, he makes the right noises more than he does the right things, but making the right noises is better than nothing.

As for Dr. Ford, her professional qualifications ought to get her into the country if she wants. Unfortunately, so far the third-country agreement still holds, so we can’t accept anyone from the US as a refugee. Have to rescind that agreement before we could let her in on that basis. Still, now that Nafta’s been renegotiated, and isn’t called Nafta any more, so Trump doesn’t care, we could possibly take the risk of insulting the elephant next door by rescinding it.

We won’t, but we could.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Surplus
The Democrats are a right-wing party, just not (quite) as far right as Republicans.

@WWTH
Collins is a Republican, and therefore has no conception of ethics, morals, or the public good. Any Republican who claims to be moderate is lying; the last moderate Republican was Dwight Eisenhower.