alt-lite drama kings entitled babies jordan peterson men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny playing the victim return of kings rhymes with roosh

Roosh V gives up: With no one paying attention to him any more, the pickup artist puts down his flagship website

Roosh V, sadly realizing his 15 minutes are up

By David Futrelle

Roosh V is having another sad. Just three weeks after Amazon stopped selling nine of his books, the date rape expert, baking enthusiast and former Most Hated Man in the World has decided to shut down his flagship Return of Kings website. In a post on the site today, Roosh announced that

I’m putting ROK on an indefinite hiatus so I can take a break from the daily grind of maintaining the site. I don’t know when the hiatus will end.

The reason? A mixture of deplatforming and nobody giving a shit about him any more.

The first factor for this hiatus is that site revenues are too low. We’ve been banned from Paypal and countless ad partners, which forced me to lay off the site editor last year and also lower payments to regular contributors.

Huh. Apparently deplatforming hate sites works.

This started a negative spiral of declining content quality, site traffic, and revenues.

“Declining content quality?” Dude, the “content quality” on Return of Kings was a big fat zero to begin with. How exactly can something get worse than worst?

Even the beloved comments section, which many see as the highlight of ROK, was badly hit when Disqus banned us. Currently, ROK receives half the traffic of its peak and less than one-fifth of the income.

Your schtick has gotten old and tired, dude.

The second factor is that I’m burned out. Keeping ROK updated, writing books, posting articles on my blog, doing live streams, and maintaining the forum has put too much on my plate.

Aw. Work is hard.

Out of everything on that list, working on ROK has become my least favorite activity because duties are centered more around editing other people’s work than creating my own.

I can see why he might feel burned out editing crap for his crap site every day. I feel tired just skinning the headlines on Return of Kings.

I’m sure many of you understand that we are in the early stages of a censorship wave that will sweep through society. Scoundrels like myself get banned first, and then soon the hammer will come down on anyone who dares to share the truth.

Roosh wants us to believe that “censorship” — by which he means getting kicked off of platforms like PayPal for violating their rules on hate speech — is driving him out of business. While it’s certainly true that deplatforming makes life more difficult for hate-speechifiers like Roosh, that’s not why his traffic is down.

No, that slump in traffic is far more likely to be the result of two other factors. The first has nothing to do with Roosh himself: the fact is that traffic has fallen considerably at independent media sites across the political spectrum due in large part to changes Facebook has made since the 2016 election to the way it handles its news feed. (Indeed, Facebook used to be the single biggest social media source of traffic for We Hunted the Mammoth by far, but now it’s been overtaken by Twitter. )

But I’m guessing that most of the fall in Roosh’s traffic can be attributed to the fact that people — Roosh fans and Roosh critics alike — have just gotten sick of his shit.

Roosh first gained notoriety as a pickup artist selling a distinctly rapey kind of dating advice, winning himself worldwide infamy after a supposedly satirical article calling for the legalization of rape on private property. For a time, Roosh was able to successfully monetize his notoriety with endless outrage-by-the-numbers clickbait articles on Return of Kings.

But ultimately it became clear to his fans and critics alike that the profoundly unoriginal Roosh had run out of things to say, and they stopped paying attention to him. Even his publicity stunts don’t garner him any publicity any more. It’s hard not to be reminded of the famous Onion headline: “Marilyn Manson Now Going Door-To-Door Trying To Shock People.”

The weirdest thing about Roosh’s decline and fall is that it’s not like misogyny has gone out of style. To the contrary. While Roosh bemoans the unfairness of a world that no longer cares what he says, Jordan Peterson is soaking up all the attention once given to Roosh and then some; meanwhile, other internet misogynists who came up alongside Roosh — most notably Mike Cernovich and Stefan Molyneux — seem to have little trouble getting people to listen to them. The difference? For better or worse, these guys know how to keep it fresh.

Hopefully all of these terrible men will end up no more than footnotes in hisotry. In the meantime, let’s wish Roosh Godspeed on his journey to oblivion.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

Victory can be sweet.

Full Metal Ox

I’m guessing that the Man Buns! Bakery of Science thing isn’t working out for hin either.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara

Cue the Schadenfreude Sad Trombone and Smallest Violin Ensemble to sing you to your sleep, dirtbag.

I might have to bake a loaf of bread tomorrow to celebrate… 😉

Anne
Anne

Hurrah 😀 One gender racist website less in the world

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

time to watch some great british bakeoff in victory

Tovius
Tovius

Good riddance

Mexican Hot Chocolate
Mexican Hot Chocolate

Let me just whip out the subatomic violin and the wreath of dried up flower stems…

Bina

Oh dearz, does Rooshie need to get a real job now, if he ever wants to leave his mom’s basement? Yup…and good luck with that search, because that name is all over the internet in the worst way.

Here, Roosh, have a little music on me:

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate

Bye, Felicia.

PeeVee the Tired
PeeVee the Tired

Bye bye, rapist POS.

K.
K.

VICTORY~!!!

nparker
nparker

Oh, what great news. I’ve been waiting for this for years. I’m sure many here will agree. This is brilliant.

Goodbye, Roosh, rapist scum.

Aleph
Aleph

I really, really hope this site never wakes up from its “hiatus”. One of the few good news we have in this site in general.

Once you mention JP and other snake oil salesmen, I got s̶a̶d̶ angry again.

nparker
nparker

Oh, what a great day indeed. I’ve been waiting for this day for years. I’m sure many here will agree. What fantastic news!

Goodbye, rapist scum.

EDIT: Oh, double post. Sorry.

Aleph
Aleph

Whoops, I meant Roosh’s site on the first sentence. I couldn’t edit my previous comment this time for some reason.

And thus, to no one’s dismay a chapter in WHTM history is closed.

FelineFinethePunLioness
FelineFinethePunLioness

Maybe he can focus on real hobbies now like manly baking, leaving his poor mother’s basement, writing a real book not a glorified rape guide, realizing he ain’t shit

In the meantime though this small victory is sweet

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

He can always have a bake sale😀

Zeb Berryman
Zeb Berryman

Well I guess he has to stop doing this worthless and empty work in being a hateful loser so he can make room for other worthless and empty work in being a hateful loser.

Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer

I recently learned that walking-sticks that unfold into violins are a thing, and I feel they’re even more appropriate than tiny violins under these circumstances: https://goo.gl/images/whhS74

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie
Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie

@Moon Custafer,

You’d be amazed at all the things that can be put inside a cane besides swords. A few years ago the Indianapolis Star did a story about a collection of such canes going on the auction block, and it was interesting what-all those canes were made to carry inside them. One had sea navigation equipment in it, another had a mini darkroom set-up for developing photos in it. Amazing what a bit of engineering can do sometimes in making things compact.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Besides the deplatforming, I don’t think we discount the possibility that traffic dipped because Roosh just wasn’t quite white enough for today’s discerning misogynist.

Terrible

Delurking (yes, I’ve read the pertinent documents, thank you) to post this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/henry-the-sexbot-wants-to-know-all-your-hopes-and-dreams/amp Hahahahahahahahahaha!! Hahahahahahahaha!!!! He’s a Chad!!!!

Jesalin: Clit-o-centric Lesbian Goddess
Jesalin: Clit-o-centric Lesbian Goddess

Now he’ll finally have time to take that Intro to Personal Hygiene course!

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

Now will he have the time to use toilet paper?

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I wonder if he’ll try to grow up now?

Probably not, but he’s welcome to prove me wrong.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

And nothing of value was lost.

comment image

Nequam
Nequam

@Redsilkphoenix: my mother has a walking stick that has a kaleidoscope inside it (part of a larger collection of kaleidoscopes she has). It looks like this one, except the brass head is the head of the scope (no compass) and of course no flask:

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

Damn. And here I was just about to go over to the Dark Side — but how can I now that Roosh has closed up shop!

Oh wait. He had lots of neighbors.

Rethinking . . . Okay, no, not gonna go there.

Beth

Doosh having to close down his web site is only the tip of the iceberg. Can you imagine the difficulties this guy must face when he tries to find a job? Get a date? Rent an apartment? Almost anyone who either knows about him or googles him is going to refuse to have anything to do with him. The guy’s made himself a pariah. My guess is he’ll wind up homeless at some point. Score one for our side. I know there are many more high-profile misogynists to go, but it’s nice to have one modest victory to celebrate.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

Speaking of rapists (Roosh!), I happened across this definition of Kavanaugh on Urban Dictionary. I’m not usually fond of their definitions. This one is special:

Kavanaugh
To Kavanaugh: When one penetrates an unconscious person in the belief that this preserves one’s own virginity.
Usage: “Did you see that guy in the bow tie at the prayer breakfast? I saw him going at it last night but he was Kavanaughing, so he kept his Promise Ring… and I called the cops. “
by NotSoBonMot September 27, 2018

I was sorry that I could upvote it only once.

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

@Kat: Love it. Not quite as good as “santorum” was, and I find it hard to believe that the person being quoted would actually have called the cops, but the backwards logic is impeccable.

Meanwhile, the fact that Kavanaugh is definitely a dirtbag is becoming clearer and clearer. Admittedly, the number of people saying that they’re trying to get information to the FBI and getting no response is disheartening, but still: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/mutual-friend-ramirez-kavanaugh-anxious-come-forward-evidence-n915566

epitome of incomprehensibility

Ding dong, the garbage website is dead!!!

As for Roosh, yes, I do agree that it’s hard work keeping up a writing and/or publishing career without a lot of support:

The second factor is that I’m burned out. Keeping ROK updated, writing books, posting articles on my blog, doing live streams, and maintaining the forum has put too much on my plate.

But then I lose all potential sympathy one second later:

…working on ROK has become my least favorite activity because duties are centered more around editing other people’s work than creating my own.

Oh, so he can’t bear to take time off his literary masterpieces to edit other people’s stuff? Any writing career has some give and take. It shouldn’t be an “all about me” thing. How can he even get people to collaborate when he has an attitude like that??

tl;dr – The shitty misogynist writer is also extremely full of himself, quelle surprise.

Chris Oakley
Chris Oakley

Best news I’ve heard so far this week not involving the Patriots or the Red Sox.

Meteor

Yay! Yay!

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Praise be to Saint Felicia!

comment image

FelineFinethePunLioness
FelineFinethePunLioness
weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Let’s pour one out for RoK.

comment image

Except for instead of pouring it out into a body of water, we pour out it out on Roosh’s head. To honor the night he got a beer thrown on him in Canada. That was after all the night he went from being a guy that freaked everyone out with his virulent misogyny and rapiness and became the laughingstock he always deserved to be.

16 Cats and Counting
16 Cats and Counting

So Return of Kings is gone now. My, my, what can I say except, “Celebrate uh huh, come on!”

Gijoel
Gijoel

Gijoel
Gijoel

Na na na na, whey-hey goodbye

Hope this isn’t a double post.

KindaSortaHarmless
KindaSortaHarmless

So long, Doosh. Please let the door hit you hard on your way out.

Moggie
Moggie

So, Roosh’s Internet presence has been wiped out. Unlike his butt.

Nikki the Bluth Wannabe
Nikki the Bluth Wannabe

@Gijoel
Bananarama covering Steam? Cool!

Here are my own musical contributions, along with reasons for them:
Sara Bareilles, “King of Anything” (because the ROK assholes were never kings!)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPk4_XfYhjg&quot;
Kristinia DeBarge, “Goodbye” (interpolates the Steam song) (the first verse is especially appropriate)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4576ymdmemQ&quot;
Orianthi, “According to You” (because these guys hate everything about us and we don’t care)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu1aQvm5MrU&quot;

Kevin
Kevin

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer chap. (Sarcasm.)

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

@Doosh:

Where’s your crown, King Nothing?

Jo
Jo

I have to admit I expected him to be one of the survivors. He was more eager than AVFM to pander to the most racist elements of the manosphere. His writing is generally readable, if leaden and whiny, which puts him ahead of the ‘foidz r bichiz’ troglodytes. Compared to many MRAs and PUAs, he was in his younger days fairly presentable and I could see some finding him handsome. His early books were smartly marketed and he niftily generated huge amounts of outrage links and clicks with his choices of articles, giving RoK a very impressive Google ranking.

I suspect the real problem is, as with his unwillingness to wipe his own bottom, that Roosh is just lazy when it comes to anything that isn’t fun for him.

Makroth - cowboy Jacobin from Hell
Makroth - cowboy Jacobin from Hell

Mike Kom
Mike Kom

Can someone point out the hate comments on that website for me?

Yamara

He never mentioned that his kings would be returning to penury.

Now let’s uncrown the rest of the rapists.

Katamount
Katamount

Hmmm… as much as I’d like to join in on the schadenfreude, I can’t help but be a tad concerned. Because as Dave points out, the only reason Roosh failed really, beyond sheer laziness, is that he didn’t diversify his hate portfolio. If he had broadened his appeal into the anti-Semitism, Islamophobic anti-immigrant animus and transphobia, he might have been able to keep up a Patreon following (unless he was banned there too).

Paul Elam is having a similar problem. All his fans are like “Hey, we can hate women, immigrants, gays, trans folk and Muslims over here” and Paul’s only response is “What? No, I just hate the womz! Can’t we just stick to the womz?”

Nah, this resentment has a wide net. It can’t be boxed into a single grievance.