crackpottery dick pics dude you've got no fucking idea what you're talking about Dunning–Kruger effect memes misogyny reddit sex miseducation that's completely wrong

Bad Anatomy Meme of the Day: The womb is a place of “death and sadness” until “a MAN puts life into it”

Wait, testes are actually EGGS?

By David Futrelle

I found this lovely example of sex miseducation in the BadWomensAnatomy subreddit, a repository of amazing anatomical nonsense collected from around the web. I couldn’t figure out where this came from (it may have originated from a now-deleted tweet from this Twitter account, but I’m not sure). But whatever its origin it’s pretty … original.

On top of the whole death and sadness thing, there’s the unexpected revelation that testes are eggs. Who knew? Nonetheless, I’m pretty sure that the runny stuff that comes out of the penis is not egg white, and should not be used to make omelettes.

Hippielady
Hippielady

What the heck are they teaching in schools????

Dan Kasteray
Dan Kasteray

I’m beggared

I’m shocked

In a world of readily available scientifically verifiable information, people choose to believe this ?

This!!!

Mexican Hot Chocolate
Mexican Hot Chocolate

Whoever created this flunked high school biology and probably did poorly in English.

Binab

And this is what you get when you get abstinence-only sex ed, kiddies. You get guys who think they’re literally God’s gift to all the sad, dead wombs of the world.

Aaaaand you also get the reason I had my tubes tied.

Anybody who’s this misinformed should be considered a public health hazard!

monica
monica

Unfortunately in many states, next to nothing. Meanwhile my son’s school has a pregnant 13 year old and I’m helping a 12 year old learn about protection after buying her a pregnancy test that was luckily negative…

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

They aren’t teaching anything in schools, especially in red states where they believe in the gay agenda and teaching kids sex education is encouraging paedophilia.
In the Middle Ages when they didn’t know about genes and zygotes, they believed that sperm were homunculi, ie tiny humans in their own right. If this were true, each man would be a clone of his father and there would be no DNA from mum.
A guy kicked off on Twitter a while back about periods, and said women should learn to hold their bladders, which shows how tragically ignorant these folk are.

Shadowplay

@mexican hot chocolate

Whoever created this were sadly probably homeschooled.

Jesalin: Clit-o-centric Lesbian Goddess
Jesalin: Clit-o-centric Lesbian Goddess

And this is why people are fighting to have a proper and up-to-date sex-ed curriculum in Doug Ford’s Ontario.

Katamount
Katamount

Aw Jesalin beat me to my one-liner. 🙁

monica
monica

@shadowplay Very possible, but more and more homeschooled are doing it because we live in the deep south and want our kids to learn actual health, science, and un-witewashed history. That and chronic migraines are why I homeschool mine

Shadowplay

@monica

Thats why the sadly is in there.
There’s plenty of good reasons for homeschooling. Plenty of good homeschoolers (and homeschooled).
And then there’s the ones that give the whole idea a really, really bad name.

monica
monica

They definitely do. It’s lonely for my son sometimes, but all the homeschool groups around here are very conservative religious groups. And we’d never make it in a group that considers flat earth theory a viable option for discussion but evolution as contriversial…

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Shadowplay, monica:
And a number of large homeschooling organizations and conferences that are blatantly fronts for the theocratic quiverfull types and that actively try to make sure that their form of homeschooling is the only one that gets any press or support.

See, for example, the Home School Legal Defense Association, which actively describes itself as a Christian organization, and which will gladly help you if you’re a ‘Christian’ homeschooler (by their rather slanted definition). Any other type of homeschooler, not so much.

monica
monica

Yeah, my MILs family are those type. Me homeschooling is probably the 1st thing I’ve ever done they approve of. And if they knew what we were teaching they wouldn’t approve at all

Katamount
Katamount

OT, but something I found amusing, cats in downtown St. John’s are easily some of the most easy-going felines I encountered. Much like the people there. Could be that they spend a lot of time outdoors on narrow streets and are used to people being close to them, but I encountered four different cats along Gower and Bond Streets and they were all totally cool with approaching me.

Small sample size, I know, but Toronto cats are wayyyy more skittish. I’m thinking cars could also have something to do with it; speed limits in St. John’s are way lower than Toronto and the number of crosswalks in lieu of traffic lights demand drivers take it slow down the core streets like Duckworth and Water.

It was wild to see a major downtown thoroughfare have all but two traffic lights. And the local drivers will actually slow down and stop for you if they spot you standing at a crosswalk. You will not see that in Toronto.

Another thing that blew me away about St. John’s was how much of it was defined by the last great cataclysm: the Great Fire of 1892 (its third such fire in 100 years), which wiped out most of the harbour and downtown core. All those iconic multi-coloured row houses were built in the British style that happened to be popular in that year following the blaze, so they’re all the same late Victorian row houses that have been painted in their famous rainbow of colours to quickly house a lot of homeless St. John’sers.

References to the Great Fire were everywhere. Duckworth Street has a mural that depicts how far it spread across the harbour (and challenges the viewer to locate its origin point a la Where’s Waldo):comment image

The Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist was gutted by the blaze, but it was rebuilt and maintains a museum of artifacts recovered from the ruins, including the original iron key left bent by the fire’s heat.

The reason I bring it up is that I can scarcely think of many places (at least in the developed world) so defined by a major catastrophe like that. The Halifax Explosion is probably the closest thing in Canada, and certainly the Chicago and San Francisco Great Fires are noteworthy, but Toronto had its own Great Fire in 1904 and very little remains to remind Torontonians of it. Part of it probably has to do with sheer size of the community; a major city like Toronto or Chicago has a larger area and given time and modernization, will have few remnants of that time left anyway. St. John’s has deliberately maintained a lot of that time period and, with the newer buildings actually criticized as detracting from the harbour’s grandeur by blocking the view from the higher elevations. *shrug* The price of 21st Century living, I suppose.

Chris Oakley

@Hippielady: Whatever it is, MGTOWs clearly aren’t paying attention.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I know I mentioned this earlier, but here’s that link again, for those who didn’t get to snicker at the LIQUID GOLD doofusheads the last time:

Biology is cool, dudebros. Keep your muddleheaded thinking out of it. You’re harshing its beauty and making biology nerds snicker when they could be doing SCIENCE!

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

No no no. This is completely wrong. Actually, sperm are homeless and unemployed, living in the groin’s basement. They wander, lonely and aimless, until a WOMB provides A PLACE TO STAY and a PURPOSE FOR LIVING.

The vast majority of sperm are incel, since they never end up getting anywhere close to an egg, and die ignominious deaths inside a cervix or a gym sock without ever having built one single skyscraper.

Meanwhile, the uterus carries on with its monthly redecorating sprees:

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

I went to find one of those paintings of sperm that has little people in them and

kupo
kupo

@Jackie/Kirby
Ew ew ew. No! Bad predictive search!

Dreamer
Dreamer

Back when I was in high school – long long ago, the sex education was almost good. The only problem – the football coach teaching it told us girls shouldn’t use tampons because they can “get lost” in the body. On the other hand, we learned about different methods of birth control and that ‘safe’ times in a woman’s cycle weren’t really safe, so that was good info.

Moon_custafer
Moon_custafer

@Dreamer:

Isn’t that what the string is for? So once the tampon slays the Minotaur it can find its way back out of the Labyrinth?

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@Buttercup Q. Skullpants, Moon_custafer
comment image

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

@Katamount:

Along with the cars, the cats in Toronto have to be wary of the raccoons.

laserqueen
laserqueen

@Katamount

Hiroshima in Japan is a city defined by a catastrophe, an act of war. There’s a huge park built around the remaining structure and landmarks throughout the city for sites relevant to the bombing. Huge swathes of the city were destroyed by the bomb and the subsequent fires. Every year there is a ceremony at the time of the bomb drop and that night thousands of floating paper lanterns are set adrift on the city’s five rivers to remember the survivors who died in the bombing and in the rivers seeking relief from thirst and fire. Nagasaki has a park, but no surviving structures and definitely less tourism for it’s past.

I’ve visited Hiroshima multiple times, for the ceremony as well as for other sites and events. A huge part of that city’s identity circles around it’s status as the first city to be decimated by atomic weapons. It is also a beautiful city full of hope and commitment to Never Again.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Katamount:
A few months back while wandering around downtown I do remember seeing a plaque referencing the fire. In particular, referencing the fact that the alley was named after the one person to have lost their life in the fire. (An explosives expert who was helping clear out debris afterward.)

But yeah, Toronto… well, let’s be honest, most of Toronto is actually an incredibly young city, even compared with the rest of Canada. (An old friend of mine who was born in English used to joke that Canadians have no concept of age: we think something a hundred years old is really old. I responded that the English have no concept of distance: they think something a hundred kilometres away is really far. His response: ‘That’s fair.’) But you could make a good case that Toronto didn’t really become the city it is today until after the construction of the Saint Lawrence Seaway in the 1950s allowed shipping to get in directly. I once saw a pair of aerial photographs of the city at Metro Hall, I think one from the 1940s and one from the 1980s, and the difference was pretty striking.

Though for memorializing disasters, the place I’ll remember was when I visited Warsaw. One of the museums in the old part of town has a line painted up along the wall, going up and down along the brick, passing by and along floors and ceilings. That line showed how much of the building was still intact after WWII.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

comment image

Danielle from Hampshire
Danielle from Hampshire

I think “eggs” refer to each testicle- they DO have an egg-like shape. Maybe these idiots think they are -actual- eggs.

I’m not going to bother getting too mad about this post because we all know the womb is a home. Hopefully, never home to incel’s loser sperm.

That article about the myth of sperm racing to the egg was awesome.

Danielle from Hampshire
Danielle from Hampshire

Oh, also, how can the uterus have death if there is nothing living in it?

Katamount
Katamount

@Rabid Rabbit

Heh, those poor things don’t have anything to work with in St. John’s! It’s so rocky, even the trees are stunted!

Although I did come across a poor three-legged fox on the road to Cape Race. 🙁 Given it was so near to the road, I can only imagine that it just begs people for scraps of food; no way it can hunt missing a leg.

Another fun fact about Newfoundland was just how geographically and geologically unique it is as an island. Gros Morne on the western side of the island all but single-handedly demonstrated the theory of plate tectonics. Mistaken Point (so named because sailors often mistook it for Cape Race and ran aground) is the largest source of Precambrian fossils in the world, and with the aid of Memorial University was cast in its entirety in 2009 to preserve the fossils in light of ongoing erosion and vandalism. Both Gros Morne and Mistaken Point are listed as Natural UNESCO World Heritage Sites as a result of their uniqueness. Seriously, you won’t find dinosaur fossils in Newfoundland because the rocks are too old to contain them!

There are guided tours of Mistaken Point out of nearby Portugal Cove, but I was sadly too late for it the day I was there and it was made clear that only guided tours are permitted out on the fossil cliffs. I still took photos of the site from the road, but some jackass was there walking on the fossil cliffs in street shoes! Despite numerous signs along the road reminding people that it is a protected provincial Ecological Reserve and the general public are not permitted there!

Grrrr, nice things, can’t have!

(I realize travel is expensive–this trip sure was–but if you get a chance, definitely check out Newfoundland, at least the Avalon Peninsula. It’s a remarkable province that retains a lot of its independent spirit even 70 years after joining Confederation.)

Katamount
Katamount

@laserqueen

Okay, I just straight up forgot about Hiroshima and Nagasaki. That’s me being stupid.

Full Metal Ox

@Katamount; @laserqueen:

What’s betting that the Brazil National Museum neighborhood is about to become one such site?

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Katamount:

There are places both on the south side of Vancouver Island and nearby in Puget Sound in Washington State called ‘Point No Point’. In both cases because it looked like a promontory from a distance, but turned out to be rather less of one once the ship got closer.

BlueNinja
BlueNinja

CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE

…there’s the unexpected revelation that testes are eggs. Who knew?

I once heard that.

But back in the 1980s, roughly around age 7 give or take, from a neighbor kid only about a year older and, looking back, clearly did not understand the basic birds and bees stuff his parents must have told him. Unless they really told him wrong.

He should be about 40 now, so hopefully he figured it out and that meme wasn’t made by him. lol

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

Off-topic: Holy shit. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/05/donald-trump-oped-white-house-resistance

How many people do you think the trumpster’s going to fire overnight?

Bina

Goddammit, it looks like my original comment got eaten by the Comment Mammoth, and I forget what I said. Alas, my immortal wit is as cold and dead as my (voluntarily) barren womb and its long-tied tubes. So I guess I’ll have to improvise…

If ever there was a meme designed to make unprepossessing dudes think they were God’s gift to sad dead uteri, this one is undoubtedly it. It even usurps the function of the ovaries (you know, those dingly-dangly little white things at the ends of the pink trumpet-things sticking off the sides of the uterus?) by turning testicles into eggs. Unfortunately, the old homunculus theory is long since disproven. It definitively bit the dust right around the time Lennart Nilsson photographed eggs and sperm getting it on under a microscope.

I don’t suppose this home-skooled preacher-dude even knows what any of those are. But I guess he figures he doesn’t need them. All he needs is some “dirt” (a uterus) to plant his “seeds” in, and presto! Another not-so-immaculate conception.

(Meanwhile, actual immaculate conception, aided by technology, is on the horizon. Shhhhh, don’t anyone tell him that cis-women are actually capable of parthenogenesis. He might end up losing the will to plant his “seeds”!)

A5PECT
A5PECT

So this guy is getting riled up because one ovum dies in a woman every month.

Meanwhile, inside men: up to 3 million sperm cells die per day.

Moggie
Moggie

@Rabid Rabbit, ugh, that op-ed! To summarise: a bunch of unelected right-wingers know that Trump is incapable, but they decided against invoking the 25th, choosing instead to exploit his weakness in order to keep their jobs and make policy on their own, unaccountable. And they want you to know that they are heroes for doing this! Alternatively, it’s made up, and intended to convince Trump supporters that, yes, the “deep state” really is conspiring against him. Either way, it’s a disgusting situation, not something to celebrate.

Nequam
Nequam

Although I am no Catholic, properly speaking Immaculate Conception is not what you think it is: it refers to Mary’s conception. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Conception

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

@Moggie

Not celebrating, but it did make my jaw drop. The timing’s interesting, since it reads as confirmation of Woodward’s claims about people saving the world by stealing papers off Drumpf’s desk.

Moggie
Moggie

Speaking of sperm:

Batgirl
Batgirl

The homunuculus idea makes me giggle because I had a similar idea when I was very young and my understanding of biology/reproduction was limited.

I thought that every woman was born with a tiny person inside her, and it stayed there until she was an adult. I also thought every man and every woman got married, and the act of marriage magically told that tiny human to grow and be born. I hadn’t worked out why some people had one kid and others had 4, but it was a work in progress, OK? When you’re five, you can’t know it all. 😂

Now, I also knew from a really, really young age I didn’t want to be a mom, so I can’t tell you how relieved I was as I grew up and learned that pregnancy was not some unavoidable destiny for every woman. But it is funny that my “understanding” of reproduction was on par with medieval scientists.

Moggie
Moggie

@Rabid Rabbit:

The timing is interesting in another way too: it could serve as distraction from Kavanaugh.

Here’s one thing I don’t understand: if the writer is telling the truth, haven’t they just put their project in jeopardy by going public? Unless they believe that Trump’s time is drawing to a close, and they might as well hasten the process.

CNS
CNS

This meme is positively Aristotelian

AuntieMameRedux
AuntieMameRedux

You know, I was idly trying to imagine the plot for a dystopian, feminist novel where women were being exterminated after artificial wombs are perfected.

As part of my research I learned about scientists who are a) trying to get endometrial tissue to grow on a matrix and b) an experimental support system for extreme preemies that is trying to give a liquid support environment in what looks like a gigantic ziplock baggy with nutrient support – neither ready for use yet.

I then started casually asking men how they would feel about a world without women. A few I got the impression they might be secretly all right with it but weren’t going to tell me about it, but more than I expected told me no way. One friend put it like this: “AuntieMame, I’ve been in prison and in the service to avoid more prison. I know what nothing but men is like. Why do you think I’d rather hang with you and the other women most of the time?”

My son told me that he would fight if somebody came to take me away. Which made me imagine different problems in my dystopia.

As for the opening post, I thought “eggs” was slang for testicles, not a literal interpretation. All of you are right of course, this is what bad or absent sex education gets you. If people would only stop persisting in thinking that sex education is sexy. It really isn’t. A character on The Magicians quipped that sex education was pretty much guaranteed to make people NOT want to have sex. At least in immediate effect.

Why people think that not understanding how the body works in such an important area is some kind of virtue just floors me.

PS Batgirl- Don’t feel bad. When I was five, I thought the penis curled up like a snake on the outside. I was a little shaky on a few details even though Mom had given me some age appropriate basics. I live the idea of the homunculous waiting for the magic to grow.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

I thought that op-ed was a steaming pile of self-serving drivel.

AuntieMameRedux
AuntieMameRedux

@Moggie

My friend told me about this today and asked why these people weren’t working to get him out of office instead. I told him I thought they didn’t want to lose their own access to power. So agreed. Or maybe Pence scares them even more. I know he scares me. I can’t quite decide who scares me more.

I shudder to think of a Pence presidency for everyone but especially for the LGBTQ community and women and people of color just to list the obvious. And people who differ from him religiously. Added together this is a lot of people.

Alexis Filth
Alexis Filth

@hippielady
I was homeschooled until junior high. At age 12 I didn’t know what a gay person was, only that they wanted to recruit me for nefarious purposes (funny how I turned out a bisexual nonbinary, ah well)
and my only understanding of sex ed was that if I used a condom I would get a girl pregnant, catch AIDS and die (my mother started 3 “pregnancy care centers” those places that scare women out of having abortions).
The only reason i wasn’t a father at age 15 was that my girlfriend was on birth control.
I had an inquisitive mind and educated myself, but it was a long, slow, difficult process. I had to drag myself out of my sexist, homophobic, and racist upbringing. If I wasn’t as smart as I am, or as lucky as I am with the people I met, I’d likely be one of the goobers who came into these comments screeching about “feeemales”.

Chris Oakley

@Rabid Rabbit: The current odds in Las Vegas have it at 8-10 minimum.

Some Guy
Some Guy

Looks like someone has been playing The Binding of Isaac a little too much recently…