crackpottery jordan "slappy" peterson YouTube

He drinks a cider drink: Huge weirdo Jordan Peterson says a glass of apple cider kept him awake for a month

Jordan Peterson gets knocked down, and lies there terrified, unsleeping, for a month

By David Futrelle

In addition to being terrible, Canadian fussbudget paleothinker Jordan Peterson is just plain fucking weird, especially when it comes to his diet. You’ve probably heard about his all-meat diet ( The Atlantic goes into great detail about it here).

But have you heard what happens when he drinks apple cider? In the video below, he tells Joe Rogan that when he drank apple cider after going on his all-meat diet it “produced an overwhelming sense of impending doom” and kept him awake for 25 days.

As in, literally no sleep for a month. Which is literally impossible. While one young Frenchman with a rare disorder managed to survive on only a few minutes of sleep a night for several months, no one has ever gone completely without sleep for 25 days in the history of our species; that’s more than twice the world record. Which you’d think that Peterson, as a professor of psychology, would know.

Anyway, the video (below) is only a minute and a half, and it will CHANGE YOUR LIFE.

sarah_kay_gee
sarah_kay_gee

Oh, now I know why my brother was laughing about some “super paleo” diet the other day–he’s a fan of Rogan’s podcast. “Eating nothing but beef” isn’t a “diet”. It’s an eating disorder.

Also I already knew Peterson was full of shit, but apparently that’s literal because I don’t know how you can poop with zero fiber in your diet. Is he eating the bones, too?

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

When the apple cider kicks in.

Knitting Cat Lady
Knitting Cat Lady

No idea if the cider he drank contained alcohol.

But after eating only beef for a while a glass of any kind of (fermented) fruit juice probably gave him the runs.

I can’t eat raw apples or drink fresh apple juice. Something in there (not the fructose) sets my IBS off something fierce.

And with that diet, and the resulting constipation, Peterson probably has the piles from hell.

Would explain his mood.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Now a bunch of lobsterantdad fans are going to drink apple cider vinegar, try to stay up for a month and end up hospitalized for exhaustion.

Engaging in self inflicted torture to own the libs!

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

Okay for reals though can the world just write him off as a quack already? Like we already know he is naught but hot air, but come on this should be the tell.

Bina

How in fuckness is this man a psychologist? The more I hear about him, the more he sets off all my inner alarms. This man is so rife with creepy, unnerving garbage. His misreadings of philosophy are laughable; his knowledge of biology is shallow; his “miracle” diet is just straight-up unhealthy for body and brain alike. And I’m scared that some of his followers will take his shit to heart and end up dangerously ill themselves. Physically, mentally or both.

I suspect it’s only a matter of time before one of them makes the news for a violent crime or a suicide bid. And I am so not looking forward to that day.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

I would love nothing more than to see a Jordan Peterson fan to arrive and post a reply in defense of this.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

As someone with actual fucking insomnia, I challenge Peterson to sample my medicine (I dropped the usual scare quotes on account of them being ridiculous as just ’cause it’s illegal doesn’t make my use any less of a health matter). Hopefully it keeps him quiet for a while.

Austin G Loomis
Austin G Loomis

Bina skrev:

That ship, as I like to say, has already sailed, sunk, and inspired a heartwarming global blockbuster with Kate and Leo. Maybe nobody’s done physical violence over it yet, but the effects on the psychic plane have rivaled the astral wives of Severus Snape.

doomcup
doomcup

He recently accidentally livestreamed a bit of his private life the other day. It wasn’t much; we got a look at his horrifying teeth, his wife showed him a news article, and they talked about some friend of theirs who had laser jaw surgery or something.

What really got me was his reaction when he found out he was streaming: (verbatim, really calmly) “Uh oh. I’m livestreaming.”

I’m not going to link the stream in case that counts as doxing, but you can find it on youtube.

A nice reminder that no matter how shitty a person is, they’re still human beings. And I have to complement him for keeping composed like that.

Marshmallow Stacey Maximal (formerly bluecat)
Marshmallow Stacey Maximal (formerly bluecat)

Where I come from cider is always a fermented alcoholic beverage: it can’t be the alcohol that got him?

I was shocked when I read in Farmer Boy that the young Wilder family sat around the fire in winter drinking something called “sweet cider” (in England the alcoholic stuff comes in sweet, medium and dry, although nowadays the stuff marked “dry” is rather too sweet for me).

But yes, literally no sleep for a month and he’d be either dead, catatonic or hallucinating. As well as constipated.

There’s something rather shameful about how someone so very much not an expert – not even well-informed – about so many things becomes taken as an expert on absolutely flipping everything.

KindaSortaHarmless
KindaSortaHarmless

@Bina

I think it’s been said that he got his PhD legitimately and actually has done legitimate work, but that he thinks that because he’s an expert in one field that he’s also an expert in other fields, and that he gets a pass because people often expect academics to be kinda weird in some way.

The most I’ve gone without “proper” sleep is about 50 hours (hooray for college deadlines!) Reading Wikipedia after the fact led me to believe that after around the 30-hour mark I started having bits of micro-sleep. By around 40 hours I had obvious concentration and memory issues, and by the time I finally hit the hay I was barely functional.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@doomcup

Maybe it’s cause I’m in the middle of a discussion about just how full of shit he is, but this just looks to me like he did that on purpose.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@doomcup
Yes we get it, we know he’s a person. We just agree that he’s a shitty person spreading shitty ideals.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara

(thinks) Wait till ContraPoints sees this! (rubs hands)

“Eat some fibre, Dad!” 😈

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

I can assure everyone wondering: in canada, we do have nonalcoholic cider. It is super good, and i wish i had some right now, even with the sulfates of doom content!

@doomcup – agreeing with Oogly, we do know that he is a person. He is a person that i VERY much do not care for. Pushing some incredibly toxic beliefs, a damaging diet, and an all around quack.

Glad we settled that he isn’t a robot or a muppet or something, i suppose.

kupo
kupo

I have a hard time sleeping when I get constipated, too, Petey. Has nothing to do with my cider intake.

Kevin R.

How in fuckness is this man a psychologist?

The same way that Sofia Lamb from BioShock 2 is a psychologist. Jordan Peterson is basically Sofia Lamb with
politics more in line with Andrew Ryan: a secular cult leader whose knowledge of psychology gave him insight on how to manipulate people who find themselves alone and feeling alienated. He’s on the same path as Immanuel Velikovsky before him, both being self-styled “dissident” academics whose hare-brained ideas got them rightfully laughed out of their profession but nonetheless gained diehard followings of people who thought that they were speaking “forbidden truths” and were being suppressed by the establishment for it. I also regard him as not too dissimilar from many self-help gurus of the ’60s and ’70s, particularly the ones running so-called “large group awareness training” programs like EST, Lifespring, and Mind Dynamics that were basically cults.

I’d also compare him to L. Ron Hubbard back when Dianetics was first gaining its following, but given Peterson’s irreligious worldview, I don’t see him going so far as to turn 12 Rules for Life into an outright church.

kupo
kupo

@Kevin
I think the question is how did a man who doesn’t even understand the psychological or physiological effects of sleep deprivation earn a PhD in psychology. Fictional characters don’t earn degrees.

Full Metal Ox

So how is Peterson eating his beef? Is he taking at least some of it raw? Does he eat the scary parts as well as the steaks and prime rib? If so, he might conceivably manage to stave off conditions like scurvy. (That said, even the Inuit prize undigested caribou cud–known as “stomach salads”)–seaweed, the tuberous roots of something called mouse grass, and berries in season.)

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

@Ooglyboggles

Clearly, it’s a demonstration of manly self-control. He’s telling his body to function this way, and it’s darn well going to. Everything’s a matter of willpower!

Plus, meat is manly. Did I mention?

Wait, it was all his daughter’s idea.

Does… not… compute.

(And then we all sit back with popcorn and watch the fireworks produced by the JP fan’s brain exploding.)

Schnookums Von Ghostface Fancypants Killer
Schnookums Von Ghostface Fancypants Killer

HAVING CONSUMED THE HU-MAN DRINK OF “APPLE CIDER” I WAS FORCED TO NEGLECT MY HU-MAN SLEEP CYCLE FOR 30 OF YOUR EARTH DAYS. I MEAN OUR EARTH DAYS. SO SAYS I, ACTUAL HU-MAN JOR-DAN PETERSON

Kobun37
Kobun37

Um, I’ve heard of meth addicts staying awake for extended periods (they just do more drugs when they get tired), but I’m pretty sure anyone not hooked on powerful stimulants would end up dead long before the 25 day mark.

Skylalalalalalala
Skylalalalalalala

Kevin R.
August 31, 2018 at 5:27 pm

I wouldn’t count on the last bit when an ex-friend of his said that Petersen wanted to start his own church.

Also, people have gone for insanely long times without sleep, but they apparently all had head injuries to a specific part of the brain. One of them was a man named Paul Kern, a soldier in WW1. He didn’t sleep for 40 years. There was also a railway worker who ended up with, I think, a nail to part of his brain who didn’t sleep for years after the accident, but I can’t find his name now (I heard his story at least 15 years ago)

Robert
Robert

According to what I’ve read, he blames the sulfites in the cider for his physiological distress. His daughter has recently spoken about the problems she’s experienced due to black pepper and soy contaminating her precious bodily fluids.

There is, apparently, some medical research about strict exclusionist diets resulting in anomalous food sensitivities. I also understand that some people, *under medical supervision*, have experienced relief from chronic medical problems through such diets. For me, going on a beef/salt/water diet would have to turn me into Captain freakin’ America to be worth it.

I look in on the Lobsterkin subReddit every so often. It’s showing signs of increased groupthink and evaporative extremism; posts are less about life improvement and more about pwning the libtards. For devotees of a self-help guru, they don’t seem to be a very positive bunch.

Zatar
Zatar

“The Day I met Sam Harris was the worst day of my life…..Not because I talked to Sam.”

That part cracks me up.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

The video linked here was possibly made after consuming that cider. It’s actually, really real and it’s the most hilariously awful thing I’ve seen in a while.
(explainer: as part of a funding drive for a film called “No safe spaces”, donors can have their name featured in this inspiring clip. $200 will get you a Twitter follow from Adam Carolla or Dennis Prager, whew).

If you’re a Twittering Mammoth, I’d strongly recommend following @zei_nabq for stuff on Jordles and the IDW in general. That’s where I first heard about the Cider of Dooooooooom.
They’re a goldmine. Much like our Dear Leader David F. does with the manosphere, they sort through the mountains of interviews and articles, and tweet the best stuff, saving the rest of us the time and the sheer agony.
Also, Peter Coffin recently did a great thread reporting on the financial ties and connections among JP and friends. Very interesting details.

Flora
Flora

I mean, as a clinical psychologist, the third day in a row when he wasn’t sleeping he should have known to take his butt to the hospital because that’s a great sign of a manic episode. Or at least in retrospect he should be concerned.

So either this is a thing that never happened or he is the worst psychologist on the planet lacking any personal insight.

My money is on both, frankly.

(Now I want to make some mulled non-alcoholic cider though. Yum.)

Jane Done
Jane Done

@Marshmallow Stacey Maximal:

That’s like one of the flagship characteristics of patriarchy/toxic male ego. Every single word out of a man’s mouth is rational, objective fact, simply by virtue of coming out of the mouth of a man. Because men are rational and objective. Because biotrufsthsthshfsssstop crITIsiZING me i’M raTIONAL!!!11!

Bina

@Robert:

Doesn’t surprise me. It’s pretty obvious they’re less about self-help than they are about making others feel inferior and/or shitty. They confuse the temporary adrenaline rush they get from flaming somebody out for watching less than all 239,098 bazillion hours of you-know-whose videos before daring to criticize The Master with actual happiness, I think.

Shadowplay

So. In addition to being a quack with no idea about anything, really, Peterson can’t handle his booze.

Why am I not surprised.

Austin G Loomis
Austin G Loomis

watching less than all 239,098 bazillion hours of you-know-whose videos before daring to criticize The [Voice of the Lobster]

This is the lobsterkin equivalent of “You really should read the Sequences.”

thinwhiteduchess
thinwhiteduchess

I’m not sure I think Peterson’s worldview is irreligious. He may make appeals to science but he is basically a conservative Christian self help guru.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Adam Carolla

I am so embarrassed that I used to listen to Loveline with him and Drew Pinsky every night when I was a teenager in the nineties.

They are the worst.

Catalpa
Catalpa

Glad we settled that he isn’t a robot or a muppet or something, i suppose.

I dunno. Given his Kermit voice and apparent lack of need for sleep, I’m still not 100% sure he’s not a Muppet.

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate

Someone slip him some cider, quick.

Jordan Peterson feeling impending doom sounds fun.

epitome of incomprehensibility

Someone’s a bit self-important. Sense of impending doom indeed. That made me giggle-snort.

But then when I thought about it, I felt uncomfortable for laughing at the situation because it sounds like he’s talking about a symptom of depression, not of drinking juice. I notice he didn’t say 25 consecutive days without sleep, and before my mother went on anti-depressants she was getting about half the sleep she normally did (not 1/6, mind you, so even if he was depressed – I can’t Internet-diagnose, I don’t know – he’s probably exaggerating). For a while she could only sleep every second night. And that just made the depression worse. She was hospitalized for a month because a) the sleeping problems/negative thoughts persisted and b) she thought she was going to die soon, which was taken as an indirect suicidal impulse.

That was back in 2014 and she’s doing much better now. I don’t know why being reminded of the not-sleeping thing is stressing me out. 🙁 It probably has nothing to do with Ponderous Peterson.

And “sense of impending doom” could be because “sense of impending mushy poop” is an indignity that Ponderous J cannot admit to. I agree with the others that if the drink wasn’t alcoholic, and was what our household calls “old-fashioned apple juice,” then he prooooobably got diarrhea from having more fibre than he was used to (the brownish apple juice includes more of the fruit fibres than the light-coloured stuff that filters them out). WHY AM I THINKING ABOUT THIS SO HARD.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

@Kevin R:

Actually, that’s exactly the sort of person I’d expect to do that. An ordinarily religious crank would start yet another boring old splinter sect of Christianity or similarly, like David Koresh or Jim Jones, then spectacularly self-destruct in like fashion. It’s the irreligious cranks who come up with stuff like Xenu and body thetans and wind up starting something as entertainingly kooky as Scientology.

On top of which, at one point Hubbard explicitly admitted he made it into a church purely for the cynical purpose of obtaining tax-exempt status. Irreligious indeed.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

There’s a terrible hereditary disease called Fatal Familial Insomnia (FFI), where the brain loses the ability to fall asleep. The strongest sedatives, such as barbiturates, are useless, and even detrimental. Fortunately, it’s an extremely rare disease. There’s no treatment and no cure. Death occurs in something like 6 to 18 months. Before death, though, panic attacks, delirium, and losing touch with reality will occur.

RE: Apple cider. I was 12 when I had the non-alcoholic stuff for the first time. I loved, loved, loved it, to the point where I polished off a half-gallon of it by myself. The resulting heartburn wouldn’t let me sleep.

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate

Mulled non-alcoholic apple cider is the best! Makes me think of the many Christmases I spent back in northern California!

And I’m really not sorry for dissing lobster fraud dude. The fact he’s full of it comes through loud and clear, even when he’s not talking about impending doom from a record-setting number of sleepless nights.

Bananananana dakry: Short-Haired, Fat, and Deranged
Bananananana dakry: Short-Haired, Fat, and Deranged

Hey, I have an overwhelming sense of impending doom when I eat something that sets my IBS off, right before I dash for the bathroom.

Bina

Yup. He actually wanted to buy a church and act as its pastor, so he’s far from irreligious. But I get the distinct impression that he wants the religion to be centred all around him, him, HIM. Hence the huckster-psychologist gig, instead of just going to theological school in the first place and slogging it out trying to find a congregation that won’t impoverish him.

Same. The Poops of Doom are certainly a real thing for us irritable owls. But the sense of impending doom tends to lift after I finally manage to get off the toilet, certain that no more diarrhea is coming. And after that, I’m just exhaustipated. But I know better than to ascribe an existential crisis to what is merely a digestive one.

banana_phone
banana_phone

I’m assuming it’s the UK folks who’ve never heard of non-alcoholic cider? It’s basically apple juice with your traditional fall spices (unfortunately now known as pumpkin spice). I think most people drink it hot? I don’t like apple juice, so I generally avoid cider. I did make apple cider caramels once, though, those were good.

calmdown
calmdown

@wwth

Same! However, I saw the seeds of assholery in Corolla even then: I remember when he asked a female caller her proportions (which had nothing to do with her question) and she said she was 130lbs and 5’7″ (similar to myself at that time) and he basically told her she was fat. I’m sure I missed some other red flags, but basically I’m not all surprised he turned out to be a horrible anti-SJW, unfunny loser.

Dvärghundspossen
Dvärghundspossen

Re sleep, I’m pretty sure the longest confirmed period of time with no sleep at all is ”only” eleven days – this is an area where you can’t trust self reports, since people with insomnia frequently have short bursts of sleep without realizing.

Re his degree, there are multiple real-life examples of people who got a legit degree and did legit academic work, only to gradually evolve into quacks of some kind. It’s lamentable but not that strange. Being a quack inventing the theories you like instead of doing hard research appeals more to some people, and obviously being the kind of cult leader Peterson is now strokes his ego in a way being a real academic won’t.

A. Noyd
A. Noyd

epitome of incomprehensibility says:

Such as night terrors. Per the Wik-ster:
– “Night terror, also known as sleep terror, is a sleep disorder, causing feelings of terror or dread…”
– “Low blood sugar is associated with both pediatric and adult night terrors.”
– “[Adult] night terrors can occur each night if the sufferer does not eat a proper diet….”

Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin
Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin

This disease where people stop sleeping is so scarey and sad.

I found this article, but content warning. it’s sad.

Dvärghundspossen
Dvärghundspossen

I think he’s said that he has suffered from depression, but was much better on the all meat diet. But now as his body has gotten used to only meat, it can tolerate anything else even less than before, so if he eats something else he doesn’t just get his old problems back but his old problems times a hundred. (I read this interview but now I’m just pulling from memory, too lazy to look it up.)

I still call bullshit on the idea that a little cider could have that much of an effect purely biologically, without being helped by some serious placebo shit.

kupo
kupo

OT (but kinda on topic, considering what got JP famous), but I ran across this thread on Twitter and wanted to share it.

It’s a detailed thread talking about how biological sex in humans is better expressed as a bimodal distribution (a type of spectrum) rather than as a binary (or even ternary if you make intersex a third sex). I figured it could be useful next time a TERF comes around and tries to say something about “biological female”. And it’s also an interesting read with lots of info that might be new to you even if you already know a lot about biological sex.

Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin
Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin

I think it’s silly to say intersex is a third sex because there are so many different kinds of intersex – which also is evidence that sex is a spectrum.

1 2 3 4