8chan anti-Semitism citation needed Dunning–Kruger effect gaslighting grandiosity gullibility hillary clinton irony alert none dare call it conspiracy pedophiles oh sorry ephebophiles QAnon

The QAnon conspiracy snowball gets bigger and dirtier: A visit to the GreatAwakening subreddit

The world looks pretty scary once you start seeing sinister patterns everywhere

By David Futrelle

By now you may be familiar with the broad outlines of the QAnon conspiracy theory, which might be described, in essence, as Pizzagate on steroids.

As True Q Believers see the world, the heroic Donald Trump, with the help of numerous “patriots” inside the government and out, is fighting a grand battle against the vast Illuminati pedophile baby-eating cabal that secretly controls the government (and the world). And, yes, Q Believers have actually convinced themselves that the top cabal figures (including Hillary Clinton) are literal “pedovores” who drink the blood and eat the flesh of babies.

But as horrific as it all sounds, Q Believers think that Trump is actually winning his battle against the baby eaters, armed with literally tens of thousands of sealed indictments that will be used to arrest the key cabal members — in government, business, and Hollywood — when the time is right. Q Believers need only keep their eyes on the prize. “Trust the plan,” Q has assured them numerous times in his (their?) cryptic messages on 8chan.

While the basic thesis of QAnon Theory is already plenty weird, the details are even stranger — and they get stranger still by the day. QAnon is a giant dirty snowball of a theory, growing ever larger as it careens down the mountainside, picking up new sub-theories with every new rotation. The mysterious Q drops new “crumbs” virtually every day, and each one is pored over and taken apart by a small army of self-designated Q interpreters, who use the new clues to spin out new theories and add new enemies to Q’s ever-growing enemies list.

I spent several hours today going through just some of the topics posted over the past 24 hours in the GreatAwakening subreddit — Reddit’s main forum for Q Believers, with nearly 60,000 subscribers. Here are a few of the not-actually-true things I, er, “learned” in the process.

Financier, convicted sex offender, and former Trump pal Jeffrey Epstein has nuclear missile silos hidden beneath tennis courts on his private island

Q Believers have spent a great deal of time examining aerial photos of Epstein’s island hideaway, which they have taken to calling “pedophile island” because of all the reputed underage sex parties that have been rumored to have taken place there. (Epstein was convicted of soliciting prostitution from an underage girl in 2008, so that’s not an altogether fanciful scenario,)

Anyhoo, they’ve been suspicious about his tennis courts for a while and now they think they’ve found proof that they were built to hide missile silos. Or maybe the tennis courts don’t exist at all, and the photos available through Google maps have been doctored!

“I did a lot of map comparisons of E Island a few months ago,” WOWs_JohnPRyan writes.

I also noticed the “tennis court” cover by G maps. I initially thought that section was actually a sacrificial area or a burn area … the thought of missile launchers never came to mind, but I can see how it fits now.

Wait, so Google is in on the coverup? 0oDassiveMicko0 points the accusing finger of blame at Google/Alphabet Inc’s … former Executive Chairman, for some reason.

So, Google maps have superimposed a fake tennis court over what looks like a missile silo, where Apple maps shows what´s really there? Is that right? If so, Alphabet (Google parent company) and Eric Schmidt are 100% complicit. He is a Jew, too. If this is true, this is highly significant!

To someone called tlbt, the nukes help to explain why so many people (allegedly) go along with the vast (alleged) Illuminati pedophile conspiracy.

This post is about protecting/forcing the practice with the threat of thermonuclear hellfire. Like, holy shit, imagine thinking you’re part of the elite, finally get invited to a private island to connect with other power players, then get shown missiles that will destroy everything you love. Then you’re forced to participate in a sinister ritual (which is documented, blackmail) before you can go back up the elevator and back to what you thought was normal life. Sounds like a way of controlling powerful people to me.

Now some GreatAwakening commenters have convinced themselves there are similarly hidden nuclear missile silos in Vatican City. Yep, that’s right: the Pope is packing some nuclear heat!

Red shoes symbolize blood spilled in ritual sacrifices, and have to be earned

A GreatAwakening commenter called akilyoung explains:

I theorize that the red shoes worn by certain people are earned, not worn ‘just because’.

IMO..they represent blood on the feet. To be initiated into this death cult, you must kill virgins in a Babylonian style death ritual.

Akilyoung ties this theory in with discussions elsewhere in r/GreatAwakening of a pool owned by alleged Illuminati pedovore Gloria Vanderbilt (Anderson Cooper’s mom):

The pool with nooses? The virgins are strung up, and the initiate cuts them (wont get into details) and bleeds them out. The initiate is walking around in their blood doing his evil work, and ends up with red feet.

Thus they wear red shoes to symbolize their deeds, and SYMBOLISM WILL BE THEIR DOWNFALL.

Weird. I think I owned some red sneakers once. I just bought them from a shoestore. No virgin murder necessary.

Anderson Cooper is a “satanic pedophile” who orders kids to rape from a catalog

Reddit’s Q Believers have been examining a picture of CNN’s Anderson Cooper sitting in his office looking at what appears to be printouts of news stories from the web; behind him lurks a life-sized standee of Honey Boo-Boo. Some Q Believers have managed to convince themselves that Cooper is looking through a child sex slave catalog trying to decide on a child to rape.

QAnonMaga reports that

Q pointed out the papers on the table they are from a catalog where you order kids to have sex with the writing was enhanced and enlarged photos of a boy and girl and Cyrillic language he was so arrogant he let the photographer take a picture of illegal stuff.

Huh. Here is the highest-resolution of the picture I could find online, posted on a site devoted to Q “research.” Here’s an enlarged version of the papers that Cooper is reading.

I see what looks like a picture of an adult couple. I can’t read any of the words; I don’t see any distinctly Cyrillic letters.

Here’s what Q thinks he saw in that same picture:

Hey, who are you going to believe? Q or your lying eyes?

I’m going to stick with my lying eyes. I guess when you’re putting forth the dumbest conspiracy theory in history, you need to be a little, er, creative in your interpretations.

Ok. I’ve saved the most horrifying new Q discovery til last. Brace yourself.

Recent XBox Live outages are evidence of cabal members trying to clean up evidence of their nefarious plots that they shared with each other in … Xbox Chat?

“So Q drops that he knows they were communicating with Xbox chat,” writes HouseSlytherin.

Which probably means Q has the chat logs. They double down and try and erase all that information on the server? Doesn’t that make them guilty of another crime? Assuming they were government employees at the time, they are deleting public record.

So Microsoft is part of the cabal too? OH NOES.

“Upsetting that now even gaming isn’t safe,” writes a female gamer calling herself Vexxlyn.

Gaming has always been a comfort thing for me ever since I was a little girl with my first game boy, knowing microsoft was betraying me kind of hurts.

Now obviously I’m skeptical of virtually all QAnon claims. But I don’t have a hard time believing that if there were a vast Q conspiracy Microsoft would be in it up to the neck. Clearly the company that brought us both Clippy and Windows 7 is capable of ANYTHING.

Monzach
Monzach

The whole red shoes thing is really messing up my head now… Anyone else remember “Red Shoe Diaries”? :O And to think that episodes of that were a big part of my sexual awakening… *shakes head*

And now back to lurking… 😛

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I only put on my red shoes to dance the blues.

reggie,the neighbour's cat
reggie,the neighbour's cat

I have three pairs of red shoes, one pair of salmon shoes, one pair of dusty pink boots, two pairs of pink sneakers (one solid pink, one pink and purple) and a pair of rose gold shoes. Guess that says something truly terrible about me.

That I like wearing colourful shoes.

Lunetta
Lunetta

This Q thing is a work of genius. He/she/they just drop little nuggets of nonsense and everyone else does the hard work of making it into a conspiracy. I almost admire it

Citerior Motive
Citerior Motive

Rei Malebario: Seems to me that it means you have exquisite taste in wedding shoes.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

All this disinformation Q Anon and Pizzagate is doing a good bloody job of discrediting actual investigations into real Paedophile rings and child predators by making the whole thing sound ridiculous. Jeffrey Epstein is a bad one. He has been vocally SUPPORTED by Trump for liking his women ‘on the young side’. He’s been linked to Prince Andrew even. But now, talking rubbish about missile silos has detracted from anything he might have done for real and made it into a joke. There is no secret that the likes of a Jimmy Savile, Bill Cosby, Stuart Hall, Max Clifford and Rolf Harris did terrible things from sexual coercion to child abuse, and covered up for others who were just as deeply entrenched in the toxic masculine culture which allowed it. It’s really frustrating that now everything is a “conspiracy theory” and hoaxes like Pizzagate are detracting from the real purportrators.

ChimericMind
ChimericMind

I’ve been a lifelong resident of Kansas, so the Oz stories were always a big tourist thing around here, yet it often seems I’m the only one I know who actually read them. I’ve also read some fascinating theories about the political subtext of several of the books, including the then-contemporary fights over the Silver (like her shoes) and Gold (like the road) Standards, and how the Wizard was designed to look greatly like perennial Presidential runner-up, blowhard, and Bill-O’Reilly-100-years-early Willing Jennings Bryan. There was also the way that one of the sequel books seemed to be sending up the feminist suffrage movement of the time, but on deeper inspection was actually mocking the people mocking them (which would make more sense given that both Frank Baum’s wife and mother were active in the cause).

Moggie
Moggie

Best Qanon joke I’ve seen (RT’d by David):

friend: you heard about these Qanon conspiracies?
me: it’s pronouned ‘keen-wah’

Though, as ridiculous and mockery-worthy as Qanon is, it’s probably going to get someone killed eventually.

jblackfyre
jblackfyre

@Phil Adley

It’ll be funny when it turns out to be true LOL.

Sure…

Nequam
Nequam

Unfortunately, I can predict that by the end of this year, someone armed will attack either a pizzeria or a Planned Parenthood clinic, believing there are “baby parts” being sold as pizza toppings.

Already happened last December.

Katamount
Katamount

So I saw that awful Slender Man movie came out and I watched RedLetterMedia’s review on it, and they mentioned a doc on the real case of those two girls from Waukesha who stabbed their friend to appease the Slender Man, who they believed (and I think still believe) was real. The doc was released by HBO and was titled Beware the Slenderman. The first part of the documentary touched on the way in which folk legends are transmitted through history (the example they used was the Pied Piper of Hamelin) and how outlets like Creepypasta can transmit those stories much faster than the oral traditions of old. But as I was watching the way that a lot of young web users seem to have taken to this story, which was the brain child of one guy, Eric Knudsen, on SomethingAwful.com for a Photoshop contest. With the help of viral media, there’s hundreds of fan drawings of this character on DeviantArt and fan films on YouTube… certainly by kids who either know the character isn’t real or believe it in kind of a kayfabe way (like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny).

(As an aside, kayfabe is a term in pro wrestling for the fact or convention of presenting staged performances as genuine or authentic. In wrestling, kayfabe is never broken.)

I have a feeling a lot of QAnon, like Pizzagate and the “Deep State” conspiracy, is very craven actors seizing on kayfabe for their own ends. Morgan Geyser, one of the Slender Man assailants, was later diagnosed schizophrenic. Alex Jones is most certainly not.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Chimeric Mind,

I’ve read the books! They were my favorites as a kid and I’ve read them many times as an adult too.

I love the movie, but am always kind of mad at how the adaptation treats Glinda. She was kind of similar to Galadriel. Immortal, elegant, stately, imposing but on the side of good. Why the movie decided to turn her into a pink tulle clad who speaks like a kindergarten teacher, I don’t know. It’s like they didn’t want to make the female characters seem strong. Dorothy was always cheerful and bold in the books, not whiny, mopey and fearful like in the movie. They definitely disregarded how feminist the books were.

The other interesting thing about the books to me was how much fun Baum poked at the military. Not the privates who do the fighting so much. But the brass. It’s especially evident in Tik-Tok in Oz.

I’d recommend them to all Mammotheers. There are nit-picky continuity issues that a lot of fantasy fans would be insufferable about had they been written today. I can also think of two instances that are a bit racist. But overall, they’re clever and funny with a lot of subtext, very pro-feminist and pro-socialist, and a nice change if you ever get sick of the dark and gritty trend in fantasy. I think they’re a must if you like fantasy or have a child who does and I really don’t understand why most people haven’t read them. I seem to remember that at one point (the fifties, maybe?) there was a movement to get them removed from school libraries because they were so pro-socialism. So maybe that has something to do with it.

Zenobia Augusta
Zenobia Augusta

I always preferred Queen Zixi of Ix to The Wizard of Oz. But Maybe I should be revisiting Oz. I’ve been on a sort of nostalgia reading kick lately. I started with Eight Cousins which I got about halfway through, than stopped. It’s basically a wish fulfillment fantasy for tween girls where nothing interesting happens. Now I’m reading Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm which is surprisingly funny.
As for the Q Anon stuff. it would have made a great ARG (kind of makes me think of This Is My Milwaukee), but as something that’s likely going to have real world consequences, it’s kind of frightening.

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi

Damn, this must be why I can’t ever find any decent red shoes. I’ve completed ancient Hittite blood rituals, but not Babylonian. I’m an idiot.

DanHoan
DanHoan

…But I was just looking at buying a pair of red shoes online. Guess I have to find a virgin to sacrifice?

But seriously – where are they getting all these people to murder?

Cats In Shiny Hats
Cats In Shiny Hats

I own /three/ pairs of red shoes. Who knows how many times I had to sacrifice virgins for that level of redness! (I must be doing it in my sleep, because I can’t remember a thing… Does sleep sacrifice count extra?)

Tabby Lavalamp
Tabby Lavalamp

I’m curious how they’ll reconcile everything when Orange Yeller’s out of office and all of these people are still walking around free. “Something something Deep State” most likely.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

@Katamount

A popular ad-hominem on 4chan is to accuse someone of not really believing in what they’re talking about, or saying or doing something “ironically,” or being a “shill.” Basically, a lot of us are used to people arguing in bad faith.

Katamount
Katamount

@banned@4chan.org

That’s one of the more irksome things about anonymity and the internet: you really have no idea what people actually believe with sincerity and what they’re just saying for attention. And really, I don’t think it does anybody a service to just assume everybody has ulterior motives. That’s part of what’s fuelling the cynicism.

But if there’s money being made, it’s a good indicator of motive.

Hambeast
Hambeast

Hippodameia said

Hmm. I currently have pink sneakers, and puple sneakers, and light green ones. What have I been doing to virgins?

All I could come up with is giving them scented markers for some reason.

Also, AFAIK, languages that use Cyrillic alphabets never have double letters in words (maybe Valya can tell me if I’m wrong.) When I took Russian in the USAF, I marveled at how easy spelling is once you learn the alphabet; it really is hard to misspell words in Russian! Now that I think about it, mispronunciation isn’t much of an issue, either, what you see is what you get.

Kätzchenjammer
Kätzchenjammer

Hambeast and Hippodameia:

Green shoes means you cut their grass. Purple means you brought them wine. Pink just means you have good taste in shoes. 🙂

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

So I’m gonna be controversial and say that one reason these conspiracy theories are so catchy is because they still hold to one kernel of truth, which is that the world is steeped in cheap, ubiquitous, seductive evil, in the form of oppressive power structures. Even utter hypocritical bastards like the 8chan crowd can understand, on some gut level, how much everything is fucked up.

Conspiracy theories explain very conveniently why everything is fucked up, and also allow people to deny that they’re part of the problem. IMO they serve to uphold patriarchy, capitalism, etc. by blame-shifting and projection instead of denialism.

The 8channer who believes in PizzaGate/QAnon/etc doesn’t stop to think about what they are doing on a site that hosts child abuse pictures.

The TERF who accuses trans women of systematic abuse, does not stop to question their own part in the systematic abuse of women.

Etc.

This TBH is why I have a weird soft spot for Christian eschatology, even though I am definitely not Christian (and despise most Christian institutions). It comes *so close* to that central truth, which is that not only is the world full of evil, but that becoming involved in evil is very easy and often convenient. But IMO it only comes so close so that it can better neutralize people’s introspection.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

I loved, loved, loved Ozma of Oz. To this day I regret that lunchpail trees aren’t a real thing.

Skybison
Skybison

comment image

Moon_custafer
Moon_custafer

ChimericMind, weirwoodtreehugger @:
I love the Oz books! Especially the way they explore etiquette in a society where a number of prominent citizens are inorganic – the Scarecrow, Tin Woodman, etc, get invited to banquets and have a place set for them, but don’t actually take any food or drink. They do raise their glass in toasts. Also, it’s fortunate that there are enough of them to converse quietly during the night so they don’t get bored while their meat-people friends are asleep.
Tor.com has reviewed a number of the individual books.

DanHoan @:

But seriously – where are they getting all these people to murder?

I’ve heard that the beginning of the (temporary) end for the 1980s Satanic Panic was when someone did the math and realized the number of children allegedly kidnapped by Satanists was roughly equal to the number of US soldiers killed in Vietnam – and tried asking people “who here has lost a family member in ‘Nam, or knows a family who has… ok, now who here has had a child mysteriously vanish, or knows a family who has?” The second question got far, far fewer raised hands.

Meanwhile, on a whim I tried looking up a news-of-the-weird today and realized it’s been ten years since Lord James of Blackheath claimed to have been approached by a mysterious organization who seemed to want to buy the British government? Which sounds less unlikely now than it did at the time. Sounds like he’s been in the news again more recently for claiming he arranged passage to Australia for a bunch of kids with dubious exit visa and therefore now thinks he might have abetted human trafficking. Trouble is, any site which covers him tends to be a conspiracy-fanatic site, and even they seem unsure whether his Lordship is actually revealing state secrets, in the early stages of dementia, or some combination thereof.

RED SCARE
RED SCARE

>recognizes the absurdity of qanon conspiracy theories
>unironically believes vast russian election hacking conspiracy theories

keep the hits coming, fatrelle

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Regarding conspiracy theories, I heard a quote from a Republican congressman on NPR that in the old days, 90% of calls from constituents were about real issues, and 10% were demanding that they investigate conspiracy theories. Now the ratios are reversed. So I wonder if there might not be a small silver lining to QAnon keeping Trumpsters occupied and lulled into a false sense of security (Mueller’s gonna arrest Hillary any day now!!), and keeping the phone lines of their representatives tied up with nonsense. Similar to the effect Louise Mensch and TeamPatriot had in the early days of the Resistance: killing activist momentum and keeping people out of the streets with assurances that the IC was taking care of everything and indictments were imminent, so don’t worry your pretty little heads, liberals.

The downside is that, because conspiracy theorists have very little trust in politicians and experts, it becomes harder and harder to pull these voters back from the brink. There’s literally no authority they will listen to now who can tell them “cut it out, enough is enough”. Anybody who did would be dismissed as part of the plot. Good luck stuffing that genie back in the bottle, GOP.

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

Calling for an immediate ban on @Phil Adley.

His linked site is to a blog arguing:

against the modern pathologization of the male attraction and preference for young adolescent girls about 12-16 years old

Shock and surprise, the troll saying that the pedophilia child trafficking ring turns out to be a loud, proud pedophile.

Immediate ban please.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ scildfreja

turns out to be a loud, proud pedophile.

Or, as he puts it, ‘Minor Attracted Person’. :-/

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

comment image

Divine Shadow
Divine Shadow

I vacillate so often between thinking these people are batshit lunatics with mental issues and thinking they are a massive troll army playing a long game that I’ve hooked myself up to a dynamo and have been powering my house for weeks now…

Ray of Rays
Ray of Rays

Just waiting for the news that in order for Trump to win, he’ll have to kneel before the Crystal Throne and bind the Nine Moons to serve him.

…actually, what I’m really waiting for is more of Mueller’s indictments, ’cause aren’t these idiots convinced he’s working for Trump?

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I second Scildfreja’s request and co-sign Alan’s reaction.

kupo
kupo

thinking these people are batshit lunatics with mental issues

Please mind the comments policy.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Eegads. A lobsterdad fanboy in one thread, a pedo in the other.

For better or worse, it’s starting to get back to the way it used to be around here!

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

Thirded re @Scildfreja’s comment. And thinking someone should point some authorities at Phil’s website. I would do so myself, but I’m dealing with a lot of my own CSA related trauma right now, and am not good at talking to police.

TB Tabby
TB Tabby

If the conspirators are trying to keep secret, why are they leaving clues that are so easy to decipher?

“Enhanced and enlarged?!” They actually think that works in real life?! They think they’re uncovering the truth and they can’t even uncover the truth that CSI’s “science” is BS! I bet they believe fursuits are full-body condoms covered in civet oil too!

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

tw: sex trafficking, rape, exploitation

(and a lot of other evil)

@ Phil Adley;

Lol, when it “turned out to be true”??? Now, understand, I don’t think it’s ever going to “turn out to be true”… but still, YOU THINK THAT’S FUNNY????? I believe that says a lot about either your sincerity regarding the truth of QAnon’s fantasy, or your concern for the alleged victims….

Speaking of victims that the conservatives don’t give a shit about, from The Guardian (SEE TW ABOVE, this is grim)

kupo
kupo

@Cyborgette
Already reported it to CyberTipline earlier this morning (US FBI reporting site for this kind of activity). I also emailed David.

@everyone
Please don’t click on the link. There’s nothing interesting there. Just avoid it.

epitome of incomprehensibility

@wwth re: other Oz books – I think Tik-Tok of Oz was the one with the princess who had 26 interchangeable heads – if she wanted to change up her looks, all she had to do was take off her current head and put on a new one. I remember she wanted to take Dorothy’s head, not understanding that this would kill her. (I think the book established that Oz-born people & creatures are automatically immortal.)

Anyway, that chapter both amused and frightened me as a kid. 🙂

As for the conspiracy theory – maybe I’m just tired, but I can’t see how the pieces connect. Not only is it disconnected from the real world, but it doesn’t make much internal sense either. I guess leaders would use the nuclear weapon stashes to threaten people who’d otherwise expose the child abuse rings… I don’t know.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

@ Hambeast:

POCCNR… that would be “Russia”

(sorry for using yankee letters, I don’t know how to attach Cyrillic characters…)

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

@Eddie

Saw that Guardian article this morning. I’m… a little wary, because it praises SESTA/FOSTA, which many many sex workers have spoken out against as dangerous and ineffective.

Sex trafficking is real and horrible, but there are some very skeevy “charity” organizations out there claiming to fight it. And some of them are connected to anti-trans activism as well. Be careful with the nonprofit-industrial complex, it’s not always your friend.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

I dearly love the Oz books. I especially love the drawings of Ozma because she looks a lot like my mother. 🙂

Back on shoes, now I’m deeply curious: how does one earn a pair of blue suede shoes?

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

@kupo

THANK YOU. Seriously. <3

more geek than
more geek than

I am no expert, but I did spend a summer in St. Petersburg. That font is so not Cyrillic. The first letter could maybe be a Cyrillic “B”, but none of the others match up. Particularly, a Russian “Zhe” is not an “X”. It looks kind of like a “W” on top of an “M”, and is bigger than most other characters the way a “W” often is in English fonts.

Also: Babylonian? Weak. Go Aztec, or go home.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

I was quite upset reading the tribute to Aretha Franklin in the Mirror today, where it stated that she had become a mother for the first time at 12 (by a male ‘friend’) was having sex with Sam Cooke – who made no secret of it – at the same age, then whilst still a teen she was married off to a local pimp, and that her father, a Evangelical preacher, had a church so famous for its orgies they called it ‘the sex circus’. To think what that woman sufferered is mind boggling.

misophistry
misophistry

These Qanon people love lies. The more ridiculous and unlikely the more they must love it. They have no reason.

Hypatia's Daughter
Hypatia's Daughter

Rei Malebario

Oh, and what we can learn from this, I guess, is that certain people will happily believe literally anything, no matter how preposterous, incoherent or unintelligible so long as it’s racist.

With the only positive spin being that reality gives them no support for their racism, so they must resort to absurd fantasies.

Unfortunately, that it is all fantasy does nothing to protect the victims, and I have great fears for possible victims. The marches in the streets give me great hope that attempts to institutionalize racist persecutions will be resisted (I don’t think Americans will look the other way like the Germans did in the 1930’s as the NAZI’s stripped away people’s rights), but I fear random individuals will be victimized.

Talonknife
Talonknife

On the topic of the Oz books, has anyone hear read Dorothy Must Die? I really love reimaginings of classic works of fiction (it’s really common with Alice in Wonderland, for example), and that one is really cool. Basically, after Dorothy left Oz in the books, she came back and turned into a brutal despot siphoning the magic out of Oz (because magic is more addictive than heroin) and another girl from modern Kansas gets sucked into Oz and ends up joining an hnderground resistance made up of former “Wicked” Witches. It’s a pretty cool series.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara

The science fiction writer Cordwainer Smith wrote a short story called “Think Blue, Count Two” in which a psychological crisis on board a “sleeper ship” is averted by one of the characters reciting a piece of doggerel verse:

Lady, if a man tries to bother you:
Think blue, count two
And look for a red shoe

In real life, “Cordwainer Smith” was the pseudonym of Dr. Paul Myron Anthony Linebarger, Professor of Asiatic Studies at John Hopkins University and author of the CIA manual on psychological warfare. It all makes sense now!