jordan "slappy" peterson transphobia

He saw into my soul, basically: A Jordan Peterson fan meets the master, and it’s all a bit culty

J-Peet, cool dude. Blingee by me.

By David Futrelle

People often joke about the whole Jordan Peterson thing being a cult, but the thing is that it really is pretty damn culty. Consider, for example, this tale of one young acolyte’s meeting with the Holy Man after a recent public debate between J-Peet and top atheist skeezeball Sam Harris.

The lucky fella, calling himself mushroomyakuza, posted his story to the Jordan Peterson subreddit earlier this week. He was thrilled to meet his guru, he wrote, because “he really has had a pretty profound impact on my life. It was humbling.”

Contemplating one’s tininess in the universe is humbling. Meeting some fussbudgety Canadian professor with a popular self-help book and an oversized sense of self-importance shouldn’t be.

He was so courteous and polite to everyone he saw, including my girlfriend. Met her with a big “how are you?” and a sweet grin.

She was probably the only woman in the entire audience.

It was a surreal moment for me, having been a fan for nearly two years when the first video of him at UoT regarding gender pronouns emerged.

Transphobia, the gateway drug to Jordan Petersonism.

Then it was my turn.

We shook hands. Good firm grip.

I looked at him and said “Thank you, man.” I said “I’m sorting it all out.”

It is just me or is it getting awfully culty in here? J-Peet tells his young fans to “sort yourself out” and “clean your room” before taking on the world’s problems. So mushroomyakuza is repeating Peterson’s own catchphrase back at him. That’s a little culty, my dude. It’s also not terribly original. It’s like meeting Right Said Fred and telling them that they really are too sexy for their shirts.

Oh but it gets cultier:

Our eyes locked and we held each others gaze. He saw into my soul, basically. There was a moment of understanding that only men have when your eyes lock in a certain way (sorry girls it’s true).

Jesus Effing Christ. It was just a little eye contact! My cats “lock eyes” with me all the time and they’re not “seeing into my soul.” They just want food!

(Though admittedly when I first got my cats at the cat shelter I chose one of them because she looked me straight in the eye and there was a moment of understanding that only people and cats have when their eyes lock in a certain way (sorry dog people it’s true), and I knew I had to pick her and she and I are very happy but then again my other cat is equally great and I picked her because she was a complete goofball, and magical eye bonding had nothing to do with it. But I digress.)

He signed the book with a smile and nod. I said” Thank you” again and he said “You’re welcome. Thank you for coming.” and gave me another firm handshake with another eye lock.

WOW WHAT WISDOM. Embroider that and put it in a little frame.

I wish I’d had time to take a picture, but there was a very long line and people were being pushed along.

People say not to meet your idols, and even though this was only for roughly ten seconds, I was not disappointed.

Thank you for everything you do Dr Peterson.

My body just did a little involuntary shudder.

I mean, it’s one thing to fanboy or fangirl a bit when you meet someone you admire or idolize. But what the hell. HE SAW INTO YOUR FUCKING SOUL!?

You’re in a cult, dude. WAKE UP!

Wetherby
Wetherby

I had a reverse ‘meet your heroes’ sort of thing once.

There’s a semi notorious political figure here called Alistair Campbell. I’d always thought he was a bit of a git.

But he did a really good thing about mental health and opened up about his own experiences as part of a campaign to de stigmatise mental health issues.

So I thought credit where credit’s due and dropped a line via his agent just to say well done.

Then I got a really nice email back and, a bit disappointingly really, he turned out to be quite sweet.

I can top that, mainly because my negative thoughts about former Conservative leader Michael Howard stretch considerably further than “a bit of a git”.

But I once attended the same social event that he did (a wedding, possibly, or a birthday party), and we ended up chatting (which in itself is bizarre), and although I was fully aware at the time that this was the most counterintuitive reaction imaginable, I genuinely liked him. Some people are much more charismatic in person than they are in front of TV cameras, and Howard had notoriously poor chemistry with them.

This does not mean that I was brought round to his political views in any way whatsoever – I cannot emphasise this enough – but it did give me a real insight into why he was much more popular within the Tory Party than an outsider’s perspective suggested was the tiniest bit plausible.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Off topic, but did anyone see this?

Denis Ten, Kazak figure skater and Olympic medalist, was just murdered by car thieves. He was only 25 years old.

Very sad.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara

@Z&T:

Did you say you were in Ireland?

I’m Irish, yes, and living there. Which is to say, IRELAND I AM IN YOU, or something.

Podkayne Lives
Podkayne Lives

Re Clinton, et al:

Some rare few people have that charisma, and that almost supernatural speaking ability. Bill Clinton’s got it. After his big DNC speech when Obama was running, my husband, who is not political at all, turned to me and said “Can we have THAT guy back?”

Reagan had it too. Horrible politics, but charisma out the wazoo.

Then again, apparently you don’t need to be a great charismatic political speaker to inspire a cult. Trump can barely say a coherent sentence.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara

Another link that may be of interest to people here: a story of how the creator of one of GamerGate’s cesspools, the KotakuInAction subreddit, had a Damascene conversion and shut it down, only for Reddit’s admins to step in and resurrect it. Because free speech, you guys, not ad revenue, nope nuh-uh 🙄

Cat Mara
Cat Mara

Charisma is a funny thing: the Ancient Greeks believed it was a genuine gift from the gods because they couldn’t explain it otherwise. Some people just seem to have it. People seem genuinely wowed when politicians, even the “nasty” ones, display it, but how do you think they ever got anyone to vote for them in the first place? I suspect that just as some people are better public speakers than others, naturally charismatic people have an unconscious knack for picking up and manipulating the cues that pass between us as social animals: note how many descriptions of people like Clinton are along the lines of, “he makes you feel like you’re the only person in the room”.

There is a famous (some might say infamous) book called Influence: Science and Practice by a guy called Robert Cialdini that dissects the ideas of charisma, influence, persuasion, etc., especially as they’re used to make us do or buy crap we don’t want particularly want. It’s a fun read.

Liquidmidnight
Liquidmidnight

Speaking of weird cultish self-help stuff, this thing came up on my Facebook feed yesterday for a program called Wake Up Warrior. I did some investigating, and it turns out that it’s a bunch of upper middle-class and rich dudes who want to pay to go to boot camp led by a failed real estate mogul rather than actually join the National Guard or reserves so they can feel more like men. Can’t make this stuff up. *lol*

I have a friend who met Bill Clinton a few years ago and he felt her up. I guess that’s not surprising though, knowing his history.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

I know someone who met Hillary Clinton when she was First Lady. He said she was fairly short, maybe 5’2″ or 5 ‘3″ , and looked prettier in person, than she looked in videos and photographs.

He was with a special interest group, and attended a meeting where she gave a speech. Surprisingly to me, he said she was 45 minutes late to the meeting. I thought heavy hitters like her would have a very tightly controlled schedule.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ cat mara

Ooh, I’ll have to buy that.

Hey. Wait a minute….

Cat Mara
Cat Mara

@Alan:

Hey. Wait a minute….

Damn, I missed a chance to stick an affiliate link in there, didn’t I? 😉

Dan Kasteray
Dan Kasteray

Liquidmidnight:

That whole Warrior Weekend cult thing sound fucking creepy. For the life of me I don’t get the appeal.

It seems like anything that Warrior week does, consistent exercise, real self reflection or renting a dominatrix would do much better.

It’s like they took the very wrong lessons from fight club.

And closer to my heart, these idiots represent the kind of fucking toxic masculinity that terrorized me as a kid and I got from my father. I don’t see the appeal of any of that.

Alaniel (aka LittleLurker)
Alaniel (aka LittleLurker)

Glad I’m not the only one thinking that the OP’s girlfriend should find herself a new boyfriend if he thinks JP being nice to her is anything but to be expected. That was my first thought upon reading that statement, too.

Re: Clinton. I find your reports of his charisma in person fascinating because through the TV he always seemed kind of ordinary to me. Now I wish I could witness someone like that myself, because I don’t think I ever have.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
epitome of incomprehensibility

I don’t know why, but this sentence made me laugh:

Transphobia, the gateway drug to Jordan Petersonism.

If transphobia is a gateway drug to something, that thing is probably not a good thing.

Oh yes, and @Viscaria was spot-on:

Wow, even your girlfriend? He was polite to your girlfriend, who is a girl? Well that’s pretty incredible. Being polite to girls is quite a strain.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

Regarding charisma:

The most charismatic person I’ve ever seen was the CEO of a small publishing company I used to work for. There was a lot going on there: he was intelligent, tall (6’4″), handsome, in wicked good shape, had a truly beautiful voice, and was a former Navy SEAL (he had started as a frogman in Vietnam and got grandfathered into the program); he looked like a Norman Rockwell father figure. Whenever he would speak, he had literally everyone straining to hear what he had to say, even if it was just about last quarter’s profits. It was surreal.

Now I’m not a big fan of authority or blind obedience, but I honestly felt that if he’d told me that we were going to march to the gates of hell, I’d have gladly fallen in line behind him. That realization was more than a little disconcerting.

And he also provided a glimpse of how terrifying charisma can be when used to project rage. One time, he was interviewing someone for a job, and the guy had claimed to be a SEAL on his resume. Apparently, when the poor bastard went in to the office, the first thing the CEO asked was “where’s your ring?” Once it became clear that the guy didn’t know what my boss was talking about, he told the applicant to leave in no uncertain terms. Now, I didn’t witness any of that; what I saw was this guy basically running out of the office, with my boss walking behind him telling him to get the hell out of his building and pray that they never met in public.

And he was absolutely terrifying.

Mind you, even though his words were harsh, he never once raised his voice above a normal speaking tone, and although he was moving fast, he was still just basically walking…but it was like the air was crackling around him, and everyone in the office instantly knew some serious shit had just gone down, even people who hadn’t heard any of the confrontation. It was like he could project his mood into people, just by feeling it intensely.

I can completely understand why the ancient Greeks considered it a divine gift; it really did seem supernatural.

…and, as I said, completely terrifying.

EVal78
EVal78

I mean, I get being a little dazzled when meeting someone you admire, but this seems like a really low bar to clear.

Regardless of who the person is, how impressive can “eye contact/handshake/generic pleasantries” be?

Sounds like my conversation with the AAA guy who came and jumped my car yesterday. It was a pleasant experience, but I’m pretty sure neither of us saw into the other’s soul.

Z&T
Z&T

@ Cat Mara,

Yes, I haven’t got the greatest command of the English language 😀
Hey, I’m an American. And Chicagoan. No Ingles 😀

ellesar
ellesar

Sorry, I can top that AND that with a story about one of Thatchers henchmen: Norman Tebbit!

Norman and Margaret Tebbit survived an attack in 1984 during the Conservative Party conference at the Grand Brighton Hotel in which five people were killed. A friend of mine was in the same hospital as Margaret Tebbit, and met Norman on several occasions. She hated everything he stood for politically, but had to admit he was ‘a very nice man’!

Well he may have been capable of being civil, but he did do this:

In 2004, he opposed the British Government’s Civil Partnership Act 2004. In May 2013, Lord Tebbit said that the coalition government’s determination to pass the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill had alienated grassroots Tories. He also warned it might mean a lesbian queen could give birth to a future monarch by artificial insemination and said that the legislation could allow him to marry his son to escape inheritance tax.

In 2018, Tebbit said that he would not attend services at St Edmundsbury Cathedral conducted by new dean Joe Hawes, because of Hawes’ civil partnership with another clergyman. Tebbit described Hawes as a “sodomite”.

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

On the charisma thing. Yes, it’s pretty terrifying. I’ve met a bunch of people who have it, and for a while was dating one – and that’s not an experience I’d care to repeat. Having a partner with that spotlight gaze leaves you waaaaaay vulnerable to emotional abuse; I’d rather be with someone who was dorky and awkward and gentle.

At this point I’m cautious about even being vague friends with really charismatic people. It can def be a form of privilege IMO, and an extremely easy one to abuse.

Hambeast
Hambeast

Moggie said

This is really crying out for the Chuck Tingle treatment.

That would be awesome!

Personally, I’m hoping for another Kids in the Hall reunion just so I can see Kevin McDonald play JP in a skit. He would be so perfect! I can also see Bruce McCulloch and Mark McKinney as the perfect JPeet fanbois, too, while Scott Thompson and Dave Foley would be the gay and trans protesters. And then there has to be a Buddy monologue about JP, too.

That’s how it goes in my head, anyway.

Catalpa
Catalpa

Huh, I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who screamed “charisma” before. I’ve met people I admire, and people I like, but those are because of WHAT the person does, not how they do it (I think).

I wonder if it’s because I just haven’t personally encountered someone with high charisma or if it’s because I’m on the autism spectrum and therefore have a hard enough time just understanding body language and nonverbal communication, let alone being able to parse it well enough to be blown over. (I suppose a third possibility exists in that I have been charmed by a charismatic person and just haven’t realized it. That one is a bit disquieting.)

Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer

a lesbian queen could give birth to a future monarch by artificial insemination

How is that a problem? Elizabeth I didn’t produce any heirs at all and the monarchy survived.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

@Catalpa, re: charisma and autism

That’s a good question; I’m also on the spectrum, but there are a lot of very different expressions of autism so my experience means little in terms of generalization.

I’d actually be very curious to run that experiment. It seems like it would be fairly easy to set up….

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)

Sometime in 2000s I heard the UK had just ditched a law from 1699 that specifically forbade the royals from marrying Catholics. I presume that’d have been forbidden only if they wanted to produce a legitimate heir.

I understand the law still requires that the heir must be born within marriage, even if the throne is inherited from mother rather than father. Why shouldn’t that change, anyway?

KG
KG

Or we could just do the sensible thing and abolish the monarchy.

Scoots2
Scoots2

Two more Bill Clinton stories and a cat story:

A friend of mine is from Arkansas and went to some sort of Governor’s Summer Program that Clinton had set up for kids who were promising but poor, the way he had been. My friend had an older brother who had been there the previous year, and when Clinton came around to shake his hand, he said, “oh, your brother was here last year, wasn’t he?” No one had told him that. He remembered the name and the resemblance from a kid he had met once the previous year.

From the 1992 campaign: I was outside the meeting of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, a rare occasion when both Bush and Clinton were speaking. There had to have been at least three times the number of people there for Clinton than there were for Bush, but I saw the TV cameras panning down the lines I knew that it would be shown as exactly the same number. All the pro-Bush people were anti-abortion, and the leader of the group had been screaming back and forth with my group, but as the cameras swiveled towards her, she sank dramatically to her knees, clutching her rosary and praying for the ungodly. Bush arrived, and at first, he smiled at the crowd, and then his lips got all thin when he realized most of it was not for him. Then we were taken around to where Elvis, I mean Clinton, would be exiting the building. My God. He bounced out, threw back his head to drink some Coke, and then he walked out to the crowd. The Secret Service had a horrible time keeping him away from us, because everyone surged forward to touch him as though he could cure the King’s Evil. What made it worse was that Clinton wanted to surge towards the crowd as much as they wanted to touch him. He kept wading in. He would have body-surfed if he could have. So there is his secret. For better or worse, he really loves you, and I mean for realz. The man could start a cult.

As for my cat: I wanted to get a bonded pair, partly because they were hard to place. I had another couple in mind, but the rescue said, “Have I got the cats for you!” They introduced me to a tortoiseshell, who immediately rolled over and hugged my arm with all four legs. So that was that. She was coming home with me that night. Her brother was a lot shyer and more sulky, possibly because of the dumb pink ruff he was wearing (things like that make a black cat easier to see). Marbles has turned out to be very difficult. She has some kind of psychological difficulty, and cannot stand to be in the same room with her brother. Still, she adores people, and I have to acknowledge that she picked me out.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

I don’t understand the lobster thing, is it anything to do with the movie “The Lobster” where single people are taken away to a creepy hotel and get transformed into animals if they fail to pair up?

Schadrach
Schadrach

@Cat Mara

Re: /r/kotakuinaction, the Reddit admins saved it because they’d already established a policy for what to do when a head mod tries to kill an active subreddit, which is restrict the powers of that mod and bring the subreddit back, and then evaluate who (if anyone) should replace the current head mod. They literally just followed their already established policy, rather than doing what david-me had hoped and make an exception because it’s /r/kotakuinaction.

In this case it actually took surprisingly long for the admins to decide on that last part, given there was an heir apparent and more or less the entire sub actively backing him.

Schadrach
Schadrach

@Virgin Mary

“The lobster thing” comes from an interview with Peterson in which Cathy Newman was just a mess. The general flow of it was that Peterson would say something, and Cathy would say “so what you’re saying is” and then something that wasn’t at all what he was getting at.

At one point he’d said something along the lines that establishing hierarchies is something that probably has a biological underpinning and that it and some neural biochemical processes are old enough that they go back at least to the point where we share a common ancestor with lobsters. Which she promptly “so what you’re saying”-ed into the notion that we should organize society after the lobster.

…and thus a meme was born.

Sen
Sen

Not a word of dissent. That’s disheartening. Everyone is pretty much agreed about the accusations of transphobia and misogyny. It’s obvious from reading the comments that very few of the people who thought they should share their opinion have bothered to read 12 Rules for Life. For a bunch of free-thinkers, you’re pretty narrow-minded. Indulging your confirmation bias, you go onto sites like this one just to read more on the subjects you’re already convinced about. Mr Futrelle, I think you were projecting when you said Dr Peterson is self-important. That statement also smacked of envy. He has had a lot of success and, as someone who has bothered to read his book and attend one of his lectures, I believe it is deserved. By the way, I’m not an alt-right incel fanatic, as you and others portray his fans. In intersectional terms, I’m a young, Hispanic woman. There were other women at the talk, hundreds in fact. I identify as a liberal, reason why I used to read your blog; I enjoyed the satire. But now I find your writing overly simplistic or straight-up wrong, because it is not objective. You pander to the leagues of ideologically-possessed leftists that Dr Peterson and other members of the “Intellectual Dark Web” rightfully criticize. Of the many points he has made, one is particularly pertinent: the left doesn’t so much like the poor/dispossessed, as despise the rich, or successful.

Makroth - cowboy Jacobin from Hell
Makroth - cowboy Jacobin from Hell

@Sen

Could you try telling us how exactly we’re wrong about Lobster Man?

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

If you are, as you claim, a woman, Sen, shouldn’t you have dropped your Peterson fandom like a hot potato the moment he came out in favor of giving incels sex slaves?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Not the most original gif, but it’s always so fitting

comment image

I mean

Come on. How many liberal women talk like this?

Honestly, I’m surprised it took so long for a Peterson fan to make their way here.

kupo
kupo

@Surplus
Wow. You know that women are capable of holding opinions you disagree with and you shouldn’t be questioning someone’s gender based on their opinions, right?

Since I know you’re going to say it: what WWTH is pointing out is, in fact, different from what you’re saying. She’s talking about how Sen is not speaking in a manner typical of someone who is a liberal, intersectional feminist. You’re claiming someone cannot hold certain beliefs if they’re a woman.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Yeah, I was wondering if I should clarify. I don’t have an issue with the woman part, because we all know the alt-right contains plenty of women. The issue was liberal + woman because this

Is so not something a liberal woman who totally liked this blog until it started criticizing lobster dad would ever say. Ever.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

We are dealing with a troll here. The normal assumption of good faith doesn’t apply, in my opinion. Alt-right trolls are nearly invariably men, however they present.

kupo
kupo

You’re still not allowed to spew misogynistic views on here, though. That affects every single woman commenter here. Being told that, simply because of our gender, we simply cannot hold views out of line with what you expect women to believe is misogyny.

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

Oh my gosh, a Petersonian! Hello, @Sen, welcome!

You’re a little bit run-on-sentence there, but, let me try and parse things out to give you a proper reply. Though you’ve asserted otherwise, we do address things pretty thoroughly here, and we’ve had lots of lively debates about worthy topics! Just, y’know, worthy ones. Geordie P doesn’t qualify. I’ll get to why that is presently.

The central theme of your post is about us not paying adequate attention to him; you conclude that, since we’re dismissing him, we must be doing so because we’re biased or uninterested in getting the complete facts. You are incorrect! Don’t feel bad, this is a very normal reaction to running into someone who believes differently. For example, it’s really, really easy for me to believe that anyone who thinks Peterson has good arguments isn’t particularly clever. Their mistakes of logic stand out to me and are easy to spot, whereas correct things they say tend to get forgotten more easily.

(This, incidentally, is the actual expression of confirmation bias, not what you’re talking about in your post.)

Anyways, that’s what you’re experiencing. We have good reasons for disregarding Peterson, you’re just not sensitive to them. So you call us narrow-minded, biased, non-objective, pandering, ideologically-possessed, etc. These are all descriptions that further make it more difficult you to understand what our issues are with him. They’re blinders, put on by people who are invested in believing in a thing, and who would experience cognitive dissonance and discomfort to believe otherwise.

(They’re also, I note, not actually useful in a discussion context, and are absolutely not very objective of you to claim. But people are rarely objective, and anyone who claims to be very objective is self-deluding. But that’s a digression for another post…)

Don’t feel bad about doing any of that, by the way! That’s very human, and it’s basically normal brain functioning. Nothing to be ashamed of. Just be aware of it.

Now to the meat of it – you’re wrong about Peterson. He’s a profoundly unclear speaker, and his ideas are intentionally vague. But the man’s a trained scientist – he knows what good ideas look like. They’re clear. You can communicate them in a straightforward way in a few sentences. It might take a lot of time to understand the fine details of the idea, but the basic concept of a good idea is immediately understandable.

This is why it’s ridiculous to suggest that we need to watch hours of videos or read compendiums to understand his idea – because good ideas are lighting bolts, and his ideas are fog banks.

Watching hours of youtube videos about a topic is a terrible way to convey an idea. But you know what those hours of videos are good at? Making bad ideas seem convincing. Videos are awful at conveying concepts clearly, but they’re great at presenting a narrative. Your brain goes a bit passive and just adsorbs the story, making it harder to judge things critically, because you can’t easy stop to think about things – the story is continuing and you have an instinct to follow it. Video is great at making ridiculous ideas more acceptable, and is great at making a jumble of conflicting, vague stories seem like a cohesive whole. Books can be better, but books for laypeople – pop science, self-help, etc – are just as guilty at using narrative in place of good ideas.

Sorry to disappoint you about your hero, there.

In short – you’ve been hoodwinked, my duck. Taken for a ride. Peterson’s hot garbage. I’d be happy to discuss the details of exactly why whenever you want, if you’re interested in that lively discussion thing we tend to have here. Something tells me you will have a hard time taking off the blinders, though.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

Saying that it’s improbable for a woman to support Peterson after his pro-incel remarks is not quite the same thing — and is borne out by the observations made by others that a very large majority of Peterson’s fandom is male. Pick a random Petersonian, find a man well over 90% of the time I expect.

In any event, my remark was not meant to claim that all women believe any particular thing; but rather to suggest a low likelihood that this troll is actually a woman. Again: most trolls who show up here are men, including a lot of the ones who claim not to be.

It’s a matter of probabilities, not certainties, however, and I never meant to imply otherwise.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

@Scildfreja Unnyðnes:

Generating ad revenue and Patreon button clicks.