empathy deficit entitled babies men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW misogyny reddit

Female authors stunned by revelation that some Reddit douchebag doesn’t read books by women

Soyboy mangina cuck reading a book written by a woman

By David Futrelle

The lady literary world is reeling from the revelation that some doofus on Reddit will no longer read books written by women.

The official announcement of this new no-lady-book policy was posted earlier today on the Men Going Their Own Way subreddit.

Since going MGTOW I can't read books written by women anymore (self.MGTOW) submitted 10 hours ago by EMIYA18 I read a lot of self help literature, usually from the 80s-90s written by American or Japanese authors. Ever since learning MGTOW I started getting rid of books written by females. They seem so "fake".

Adding to the horror: it turns out that many of EMIYA18’s colleagues on the MGTOW subreddit also have “no books by lady authors” policies. (Except maybe that “Wrinkle in Time” book, that was cool.)

“I was like that even before MGTOW,” admitted TheDevilsAdvokaat.

A lot of women’s literature just seemed revolting. The attitudes, the ideas were nonsense and shitty.

There are very few women authors I have actually enjoyed; (So few I cannot even remember their names – I think there was one by a woman who wrote “detective” stories about a roman named Flavius set thousands of years ago). Most of them have weird notions of how the world works and males and females.

Obviously the good gentlemen of the MGTOW subreddit have much-less-weird notions about men and women and pretty much everything else.

Their “men” in particular seem two dimensional and seem to have no life or desire other than trying to please the woman in their life. Also, the most important thing in the book is a relationship between two people. It doesn’t matter if the entire universe is finally collapsing into a central black hole; the most important part of the book (And the most words) will be about some stupid relationship between the female protagonist and one or several men.

Yeah, I really hate that part in the Jane Austen book when the giant alien spiders are covering the earth in their radioactive webs and Emma is like, “Heathcliff, forget the spiders, I want to talk about us and that time you mansplained intergalactic time travel to me because tee hee I’m a girl and I don’t care, wait why am I talking to you, Mr. Darcy is much richer, bye boy, GIRL POWER!”

Ok to be honest I haven’t read any Jane Austen books.

Others agreed: Lady books are all about dumb lady things. “[M]ost of the time, feminine litterature is always about ma rights and ma vagina,” Maxentirunos sniffed. And he’s right: 60% of the time, feminine litterature is about vaginas every time.

And forget about getting any advice from a lady book unless it’s about tampons or something. “I can’t read anything written by a woman anymore about general life advice,” noted TopherOHoolihan.

Maybe if they are covering a specific topic okay, but if its supposed to be a book of wisdom- only men are wise

But it was a MGTOW Redditor called laptopdragon who took it to the next level, noting that he doesn’t even like hearing women talk.

I detest many womens voices on the radio.

especially the raspy, scratchy or whiny voices, and when they they say things:

you know

uhm

etc.

actually, it’s anyone with those shitty untrained lack of quality speakers that are on a speaking platform. fuck them and their agenda.

Damn those bitches and manginas pushing their insidious “like” and “you know” agenda!

In conclusion, all attempts by human females to communicate are bad. Happy Sunday!

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

I wonder if the OP morons have read any James Tiptree, Jr.?

She was one of the most creative and fundamentally brilliant science fiction authors of the 20th century, sometimes called one of the most “macho” sf writers of the 60s and 70s (before anyone knew her identity), and definitely one of the most badass people ever to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard, as the case may be).

On an earlier thread, someone mentioned The Screwfly Solution, which was also one of her stories — albeit under a different pseudonym (Raccoona Sheldon).

God, I love her work.

…but if the dumbfucks want to deprive themselves of her amazing body of writing because she’s a feeeeeeeeeeemale, I’m sure she would have heartily approved.

Fucking philistines.

Passagère clandestine
Passagère clandestine

Since we’re on the topic of male writers writting male books for he-men, may I warmly recommend any book written by Currer, Ellis and Acton Bell and Isak Dinesen?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

The Great Gatsby by F. Susan Fitzgerald is another example. Hardly any plot at all! Someone gets run over, there’s a big party. That’s about it.

On the subject of self-help…gender matters. Any advice a woman gives me on how to be a better man is going to be taken with more than a few grains of salt.

How about if the books is about being a better person in general? I mean, I side eye the entire self help genre because of how it tends to have a victim blaming undercurrent, but if a book is decent, it’s really just teaching you to self administer cognitive-behavioral therapy. So it’s kind of like saying female therapists should only have female clients and male therapists should only have male clients.

Also, given that women are so often the ones harmed the most when men are shitty people, we actually often have some pretty good advice on how to be a better man. If more men were willing to listen to and trust a woman, we wouldn’t be living under the Trump regime right now. In fact, a lot of men are still saying things along the lines of “how could we have known it would be this bad?” when Hillary warned us correctly about every shitty thing he would do. Not just her. Most of the people who tried to warn the country were women. You men just gaslighted us.

So yeah, it wouldn’t kill you to listen to women sometimes.

Rattus
Rattus

@Bystander, I read essentially the same sentiment in the incels whine cellar – “woman keep telling us it’s our personality. It’s not our personality, it’s them.” No, it’s not us – they really need to do something about their worldview and their personality. Sometimes people on the outside have a better view of the whole picture.

Bina

@Everything is Permanent But Woe:

There’s a quote from Siri Hustvedt’s ‘The Summer Without Men’ that seems apposite here:

“Women read fiction written by women and by men. Most men don’t. If a man opens a novel, he likes to have a masculine name on the cover; it’s reassuring somehow. You never know what might happen to that external genitalia if you immerse yourself in imaginary doings concocted by someone with the goods on the inside. “

…aaaand just like that, said book lands on my to-read list for this summer.

I mean, if I’m going to be manless (as usual), I may as well do it up right.

Also, as a side note to one of our other drive-by/newcomer posts: Most of the self-help books I’ve read by men were trash. Impractical, victim-blaming, pie-in-the-sky trash. Women did it better.

Nym
Nym

Scrolled through all the comments to collect the names of female authors people posted for when I’m looking for my next read.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

“On The Road” by Jacqueline Kerouac is another boring bunch of characters and unrelated events. It never really goes anywhere. The entire universe could be collapsing around them and they’d still be driving to Tijuana trying to get high.

I mean, it’s not like the entire point of fiction is to describe intimate human experiences through psychological observation or anything. Fiction is supposed to be about explosions, murders, and car chases.

It’s not like fiction is a good way to get out of your own head and experience the world from someone else’s viewpoint. No, it’s the novel-reading (and writing) feminists who live in a bubble.

It’s fascinating how, in their desperation to be far away from women and beta cuck cooties, MGTOWs keep ceding all the good stuff to us. Cats, properly cooked meals, and hygiene have all been declared off limits. Now we get to have novels too? Their allowable habitat is shrinking smaller and smaller.

Maybe if we lay claim to water, air, and sunlight, they’ll finally go away.

Most of them have weird notions of how the world works and males and females…Their “men” in particular seem two dimensional and seem to have no life or desire other than trying to please the woman in their life.

Swap the genders, and this would describe every MGTOW post ever.

Professor Fate
Professor Fate

And for some reason this topic reminded me of this exchange between Edmund Blackadder (e) and his dogsbody Baldrick (b) in an episode of Blackadder the Third (Ink and Incapacity)
Edmund had send Samuel Johnson a novel he’d written and had heard nothing..

E: The phrase, Baldrick, is “a case of sour grapes,” and yes it bloody well is. I mean, he might at least have written back, but no, nothing, not even a “Dear Gertrude Perkins: Thank you for your book. Get stuffed. –Samuel Johnson.”

B: Gertrude Perkins?

E: Yes, I gave myself a female pseudonym. Everybody’s doing it these days: Mrs. Ratcliffe, Jane Austen–

B: What, Jane Austen’s a man?

E: Of course — a huge Yorkshireman with a beard like a rhododendron bush.

B: Oh, quite a small one, then?

E: Well, compared to Dorothy Wordsworth’s, certainly. James Boswell is the only real woman writing at the moment

Silly yes but this whole “I only read male writers” is silly too. Read what you like but don’t presume your taste equals revealed Truths

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

If we’re recommending feeeeeeeeeeeeemale authors, I’m going to wave a few names here:

Martha Wells – her Raksura series as well as her Murderbot series. Raksura if you prefer fantasy novels. Murderbot if you prefer hard SF novellas.

Lois McMaster Bujold – Vorkosigan series FTW. Though The Spirit Ring is a fun read, too.

Gail Carriger – for lovers of steampunk, try her Parasol Protectorate series.

Carrie Vaughn – Her Kitty the werewolf (yes, really) series is a fresh and original take on the tropes. Also try out her SF novel Bannerless, which is a post-apocalyptic tale.

Barbara Hambly – Anything with her name on it.

Violet the Vile, Moonbat Screech Junky
Violet the Vile, Moonbat Screech Junky

Oooh, recommendations!

Those among you who enjoy fantasy (which appears to be most of you haha) could do worse than get your hands on a copy of Sorcery and Cecelia (or, to give it its full title, Sorcery & Cecelia, or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot: Being the Correspondence of Two Young Ladies of Quality Regarding Various Magical Scandals in London and the Country) by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer. It’s highly entertaining.

Anything by Hilary Mantel, but especially Beyond Black

Anything by Gillian Flynn, but especially Gone Girl

Art and Lies by Jeanette Winterson (it’s heavy going, but beautifully written. I think it’s about three people taking a train ride, but it’s hard to say because it’s extremely avant-garde)

I do actually have a fantasy novel for sale on Amazon Kindle/have a blog myself – but it’s got my real name all over it so I don’t want to post a link here in case I break out in MGTOW comments :/

If anyone is interested, perhaps you could get in touch through David – I seem to remember he said he would put people in touch (correct me if that’s wrong Mr Futrelle….)

YV
YV

Oooooh, what’s your novel about, besides fantasy?

Nequam
Nequam

And don’t get me started on that incoherent homoerotic stuff by Willa S. Burroughs. Nothing but wacky little vignettes.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Then there’s the icky girl works of Winifred Shakespeare

Ew. Sappy!
comment image

Only a woman would be silly enough to feature male characters gossiping. Men never gossip

comment image

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

Meanwhile, Amber Tamblyn just published a novel about a serial woman rapist of men. Apparently the inspiration for this was that she realized there are almost no truly evil female antagonists, so she thought she’d fix that. And she’s making very clear that people don’t pay enough attention to male victims. So, you know, all the things MRAs complain about.

Oh, except that it’s all done in the name of empathy. Right, carry on. Just a feeeeeeeeeeeeeemale doing what feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemales do.

Or should that be “feeeeeelmales?”

Dvärghundspossen
Dvärghundspossen

@Nequam: I love Kate Beaton but I guess we disagree on Wuthering Heights? I love that book, I honestly think EB intended for him to be a horrible person (even though he became that way through a horrible childhood), and even rubs it in our face that yeah he is horrible, he doesn’t have a heart of gold behind a rough surface. I don’t think she was secretly obsessed with how hot dark and brooding men are. BUUUUUT all we can do in modern times is obviously to speculate… 😉

Also didn’t like Pride and Prejudice actually. Mr Darcy came off as an asshole to me. You don’t get special cookies for being nice to your servants and not robbing someone of his inheritance, that’s a low bar to clear. And yet we are clearly supposed to think he’s a great catch at the end of the day.

Dvärghundspossen
Dvärghundspossen

But I actually enjoyed the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies movie lol!

j
j

Y’all talking about kid books. I’m looking to read that “Brooding Hunx”.

Nequam
Nequam

@Dvärghundspossen: FWIW, Kate seems to think Anne Bronte was the only one who didn’t buy into the “bad boy” thing:

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

This reminds me of that thing I heard about blind auditions for orchestras. Previously, a lot of orchestras just looked and listened to the person auditioning, and they ended up hiring a lot of white dudes, because they were “the right person for the job”.

But when some of these same orchestras did blind auditions where they only heard the person play, and didn’t know their name or their gender or race, suddenly there was diversity in the orchestra. Hmmmmm.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when they discover that one of their he-man macho mayunly books was written by a woman with a male pseudonym.

Or hell, to see what would happen when they come across an author with a very gender-neutral name like mine.

Speaking of, I do have a book project on the shelf from many years back where I wrote about a prissy vampire dude who was used to living in the lap of luxury go into hiding in his crypt because his CEO thrall embezzled too much money to support his lifestyle, and threw himself from the roof in a fit of panic. Then the vampire goes into hiding, and when he pops back out, it’s a post-zombie apocalypse and now he has to learn how to actually be a “feral” vampire and he meets some humans and learns some empathy along the way.

Mea | July 1, 2018 at 7:56 pm
Who could forget the sweet, overflowing-with feels, romance of Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein”?

I know that this was meant to be sarcastic, but can we talk about how she achieved the pinnacle of goth before goth was even a subculture?

I mean, she learned to spell by tracing the letters on her mother’s tombstone, she lost her virginity on said tomb, and she kept the calcified heart of her lover wrapped in a page from his favorite poem after his body washed ashore.

Like, I’m heartbroken I will never get to be that goth or romantic. Though I have talked with Kirby about keeping their skull in a lovely ornate glass dome on my bedside table should they die before me.

Erin
Erin

“Ever since learning MGTOW I started getting rid of books written by females. They seem so ‘fake’.

Women, the real fake news?

I imagine these guys are a step away from saying, “Women: Just Fake News.”

MrsObedMarsh
MrsObedMarsh

Congratulations, you just described a genre romance novel.

If you don’t want to read stories about people solving crimes, then don’t read mysteries. If you don’t want to read stories about aliens, spaceships, or robots, don’t read science fiction. And if you don’t want to read a story where the central conflict is about two people ending up together romantically, then don’t read romance! You’re not the audience! It won’t satisfy you! It’s not a book for you!

Who?
Who?

j: Kidbooks? Most of the works discused here, aren’t.

About relationship in novel:
Neither are all women writing romanceworks. (And not all romancewriters are women)
Characters have become more important in SF and Fantasy since the golden age, there are a few writters were the plot saves the fact that the characters are paperthin, but not that common anymore.
(Btw wasn’t that one of the points of New Wave vs Golden Age?)
I find it interesting that we have to fight the old fights again.
(Can Women wright SF or Fantasy was answered before probably all posters here were born, even if you believe that SF only started when Gernsberg did create the term)

I will just lazy link to a contest of SF and Fantasy works.
If you can’t find anythink to like here the genere is probably not for you.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Case in point, A Song of Ice and Fire. People like to talk about the dramatic plot points, but so much of the series (and the TV show too) is all about the characters and their relationships with each other. Not just romantic relationships, but familial, platonic, feuds and alliances between houses. In the Westeros forums there are probably more threads devoted to why people like or dislike characters, ships of different characters, arguments about who would make the best king or queen, discussions of character development etc. than there are about plot points. There is no way that series would’ve gotten so popular if readers didn’t feel so passionately about the characters. The plot and setting aren’t terribly unique. One of many fantasies about warfare in a land that is like medieval England but with magic. It’s the depth of the characters that makes it special.

I don’t even understand why people want more books that are just plot point a —> plot point b. I mean, easily digested formulaic stuff can be good if you just want to be entertained for a little without thinking. Those books have their place. But to be offended that all literature isn’t that? It’s bizarre to me.

Tangentially related to the discussion; the whole Twilight “saga” is in the free with Amazon Prime streaming section now. I’m kind of tempted to hate watch it. Should I? I never read the books. Only saw the first two movies. Was super drunk for the first one and the second one, I watched via Rifftrax. Perhaps I’ll try to see if I can get through it.

j
j

she lost her virginity on said tomb,

romantic

Uh…

Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer

@ Paradoxical Intention – Resident Cheeseburger Slut:

I don’t know for sure if it’s true, but I heard that Howard Hawks hired Leigh Brackett to work on the screen adaptation of The Big Sleep after reading one of her mystery novels and telling his assistants: “Hire this Brackett guy, he’s great!”

Skylalalalalalala
Skylalalalalalala

I never see anyone mentioning Tanya Huff in these recommendation threads, so I’m just going to add her name here. She’s a great Canadian fantasy writer. Her wife, Fiona Patton, also writes fantasy, but I’ve only read short stories from her so far.

Just glancing at the books I can see on the shelf near me, I have Tanya Huff, Mercedes Lackey (solo & with James Mallory or Larry Dixon), Anne McCaffrey, Enid Blyton, C.S. Lewis, Gordon Korman, N.K. Jemison & Masaru Emoto. Plus a bunch of educational books for the kids.

It’s almost like I read stuff that’s interesting and/or funny without caring about the genitals of the writer.

MrsObedMarsh
MrsObedMarsh

You just answered your own question:

They don’t ever – ever – want to be put in a situation where they might be forced to work to interpret a text, or have to examine their ideas and assumptions. That is why it’s not enough for them to simply avoid media they don’t like – they want to eliminate the possibility that they’ll ever encounter something that isn’t easy for them to understand, or that doesn’t validate them and their worldview. And then they have the gall to call people who want to experience challenging stories “politically correct” and “irrational.”

LindsayIrene

@J

Definition of romantic
1 : consisting of or resembling a romance
2 : having no basis in fact : imaginary
3 : impractical in conception or plan : visionary
4 a : marked by the imaginative or emotional appeal of what is heroic, adventurous, remote, mysterious, or idealized
b often capitalized : of, relating to, or having the characteristics of romanticism
c : of or relating to music of the 19th century characterized by an emphasis on subjective emotional qualities and freedom of form; also : of or relating to a composer of this music
5 a : having an inclination for romance : responsive to the appeal of what is idealized, heroic, or adventurous
b : marked by expressions of love or affection
c : conducive to or suitable for lovemaking
6 : of, relating to, or constituting the part of the hero especially in a light comedy

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

More female SF/fantasy authors:

Sydney J. Van Scyoc
Judith Tarr
Katherine Kurtz
Nancy Springer

Petra Oleum
Petra Oleum

As somebody else has pointed out, “Flavius” is almost certainly Lindsey Davis’ Falco series, which is great—though I fear that the redditor in question may have missed the subtext where our cynical, manly hero is actually a ridiculously soft touch and for that matter an equal partner to his wife, Helena. Also personally I find Falco to be not quite as good as its successor Falvia Albia series, which is very much about a female detective.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Does D C Fontana count? She’s more known for TV stuff; but she also wrote books.

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate

Um, does this little self-important puke think his declaration is of consequence? To anyone? Somehow, I think no author, male or female*, will miss him.

*Well, if he’s into the self-help books, maybe Dr. Laura will miss him. She’s quite sympathetic to misogynists, and one herself.

j
j

Just a little bit of a joke since I wouldn’t find doing it on anyone’s grave to be romantic personally, especially my own mothers.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

Everyone, please do not check out any authors that Victorious Parasol recommends!
Especially Barbara Hambly!
You may find yourself scouring the interwebs for entire series (something you haven’t done since Discworld).
You may have to physically force yourself to put down the novels so that you can get some actual work done.
You may miss your train stop because the damn book is so damn good.
You may refuse to communicate with your family so that you can read.
This is for your own peace of mind 🙂

Bananananana dakry: Short-Haired, Fat, and Deranged
Bananananana dakry: Short-Haired, Fat, and Deranged

Barbara Hambly is full of win and joy.

integral
integral

I stopped reading Norman Mailer because he was all “mah penis”.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

Ever since learning MGTOW I started getting rid of books written by females. They seem so “fake”.

Quote marks around a word that’s not actually being quoted mean “so-called.”

So this MGTOW doesn’t actually think that female authors’ books seem fake.

Apparently EMIYA18 is an undercover feminist tweaking the Men [who claim to be] Going Their Own Way.

MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)
MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)

J-

Me neither. I also find it extremely disrespectful to have sex on anyone’s grave and having sex on her own mother’s takes it to a whole new level. Not something to be commended for.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

Ooh, bad news, Mammotheers: EMIYA is no undercover feminist. He added this addendum:

Edit: Check this out my dudes: https://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2018/07/01/female-authors-stunned-by-revelation-that-some-reddit-douchebag-doesnt-read-books-by-women/

We’ve made it to David Futrelle‏’s blog, apparently we’re douchbags for pointing out the fact that most if not all female authors are vastly inferior to male authors. David Futrelle, I’m sure you’re reading this, I’m disappointed in you. You’re betraying your fellow men. Women are the first to use, abuse and abandon you. But we’re males, we still have real compassion so we will forgive you. Have you read the books in the side bar? How about “Manipulated Male”? Written by a female author, she should convince you. Or how about this classic: https://www.amazon.com/What-Hell-Women-Really-Want/dp/0964225417/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530491429&sr=8-1&keywords=what+the+hell+do+women+really+want also written by a woman. That should give you food for thought.

Real compassion from MGTOW? Hahahahahahahahahaha!

There aren’t enough hahas in the universe to adequately convey my skepticism.

Catalpa
Catalpa

Oh, shit, I knew I forgot something! The blog has been operating for 8 years now and we still haven’t gotten around to the abusing or the abandoning portion of the plan! Jeez, I guess women just can’t do anything right. /sarcasm

Skylalalalalalala
Skylalalalalalala

But, but Dave, don’t you want their kindness and compa…..Sorry, I can’t do it. If they think they’re even slightly compassionate, they’re even more delusional than I thought. I don’t think the majority of them would know what compassion was if cuddled up to them.

Passagère clandestine
Passagère clandestine

More female SF/fantasy authors:

Sydney J. Van Scyoc
Judith Tarr
Katherine Kurtz
Nancy Springer

Did someone mention Nancy A. Collins? A dark, very dark treat. Don’t forget to read Wild Blood if 1) you like (or fear, same thing actually) were wolves and 2) you wondered about Cuchullain (seriously).

And if you’re concerned about vampires and ogres and cherubims and assorted Pretenders hiding in plain sight, the Sonja Blue books are for you.

(VAMPS and Golgotham are good, but more teen stuff. Nothing wrong with that, but very different from the earlier books)

Violet the Vile, Moonbat Screech Junky
Violet the Vile, Moonbat Screech Junky

I stopped reading Norman Mailer because he was all “mah penis”.

same

See also DH Lawrence. I’ve tried to read several things by Lawrence and I always end up throwing the book across the room while shouting “OH FUCK OFF”

@YV
It is about a young prince (11-12, our hero) whose kingdom gets destroyed by invaders who kill all his family (except his baby brother) and settle his country. So he becomes homeless and gets involved with a street gang to survive, and by the time he is 20 he is a full on criminal who is desperately hiding his real identity as it is a short cut to getting himself and his now early-teens brother killed. Eventually he becomes a ninja, by training with a female ninja (our heroine; they aren’t exactly ninjas in the book obviously, but I’m not able to draw the diagrams necessary to explain the backstory, so we’ll call them ninjas).

The ninjas are from a third country (not the invaders or invadees) which is run by a religious cult. The ninjas themselves are taken when very small children and indoctrinated with all sorts of religious rubbish as well as becoming excellent at martial arts (mostly because if one is developing a spectacularly skilled human weapon, one needs a way to control it in case it starts getting ideas. Enter: A VENGEFUL GOD!). So our heroine is also trying to escape a fairly horrific past only not sure how because she is basically a cult escapee

TL:DR – it’s about sword fighting, corruption and the nature of freedom

I wrote it about 10 years ago. I really should get on with writing something else.

Dvärghundspossen
Dvärghundspossen

@Nequam: Yeah I’ve read that comic too and I thought it was funny even though I don’t agree with her interpretation of EB! 😀

Victorious Parasol