announcements

Program Note: I will be on Matt Binder’s DOOMED podcast today (Saturday) at 1 PM eastern

I took the graphic for Matt’s show and ran it through a filter that basically made it look worse because why not? I like running things through filters, ok?

It’s PLEDGE DRIVE again. Please DONATE HERE NOW! Thanks!

By David Futrelle

So yeah, I’m going to be on Matt Binder’s podcast talking about, you know, all the sort of shit I write about on this blog. If you’re not a regular listener, you may remember Matt as the guy who sort of demolished Paul Elam in a YouTube debate a couple of years back.

Anyway, here’s the info on the podcast (though the “tomorrow” in the tweet is now today), and if you miss it LIVE you can watch/listen to it later as well:

CMH
CMH

idli sambar revolution:

LOL @ “Chad Thundercock”. I remember Dalrock and his posse had some pretty hilarious names for what they conceived were the “alpha f*cks” wives were cuckolding their “beta bucks” husbands with.

But could they be nearly as creative as MST3K, which I remember every time Mr. Thundercock’s name appears on my screen?

Big McLargehuge always gives me a chuckle.

Also Skyboom-Rooster, which I think I saw here, is pretty giggle-worthy.

CNS
CNS

Question 2: What would you say to a male who didn’t hate women and did not post on those forums, but just felt absolutely inadequate about not being able to find love? I mean, if a man googles “I am depressed because I can’t find a girlfriend”, it would most likely lead him to a PUA site or a Incel board or something.
If they somehow ended up talking to YOU, what would you say? What would you say to a man who couldn’t find a date, felt he was unattractive, and was all around depressed and feeling like less than dirt?
Thing is, society pressures men to be “sexual conquerors,” and I don’t think anyone can deny that. Men who “can’t get laid” have no value in society and are mocked and ridiculed. Quiet, introverted men are scorned by men and women alike.
So, if not that awful Incel board…what alternative is there for such men? What would YOU tell such a man?

They could try an improv class

in my experience it’s very difficult to form meaningful connections with people when you’re so in your own head with social anxiety. It prevents you from actually paying attention to the person you are trying to talk to.

So yeah… my advice would be, instead of participating in a toxic and hateful online group, take an improv class to gain confidence, get out of your own head, and meet people.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I have very mixed feelings about all these “reaching out” tales, like the KKK one.

They’re heartwarming in a way. But they also set up a narrative that this would work in every case. It’s like having a documentary about someone who exercised their way out of depression. Might work for some, but that doesn’t mean everyone is obligated to try.

They’re just moral ‘rags to riches’ tales really. But they allow people to go “See, if he can do it, anyone can”.

With the implication that not only can people do this; but that people should do this.

TreePerson
TreePerson

@Alan Robertshaw

Kinda reminds me of “person with inspirational disability inspirationaly climbs mount olympus!” which then becomes “Why should I pay taxes so you to sit on your fat ass lazy cripple you can literally do anything with out any kind of help at all if you just boot strap hard enough!”

And deprogramming one person takes months of hard work which is months of radicalizing, recruiting and planning/encouraging attacks by the rest.

Who?
Who?

I am very willing to reaching out to someone who I think is just wrong and where I can think I can discus with them.
Reaching out to someone who potential wants to murder me, sorry I am not that brave or stupid.

@ Pug,

I have some thoughts for you too. I’m not sure where to start. Others have already given you much excellent advice.

You had bad things happen, don’t take this out on other people. Don’t automatically have an extreme reaction, stop and think. Don’t let these experiences define you.

Which they seem to be, right now. This seems like a huge, thick, pane of distorted glass you’re filtering your thoughts through.

Is it possible for you to get therapy? See a psychologist?
If this is not possible, try reading some better self help online. I’m nothing close to any type of counselor myself, but it’s pretty easy to see that a lot of this “manosphere” is rather toxic.

Most of them, and you can nit pick over whatever “sub category” you want, they all seem largely the same to me, most all of these people on these sites seem angry, wallowing in self pity, and blaming others for their problems.

Sure, people shit on you. No, it’s not your fault. And NO, that doesn’t mean that EVERYONE ELSE is going to shit on you too, let alone that the way to success is acting like an asshole.

Do you ever look at this stuff and think to yourself: WAT DA FUK?

It literally makes no sense. And just harms others. As well as the people “in it”, it harms them too.

You say you feel “inadequate” for a relationship?

Have you thought about why you even think this is the answer to your problems?

Maybe being a hermit might be a better choice? I’m not necessarily being sarcastic here either. Society (Capitalism) conditions people to seek a particular type of life, but that’s for their profit, not yours.

It’s another thing I’ve noticed in this “manosphere” as well as with men I have been involved with. They all want to get married, have kids, and move to suburbia.

Why?
And not that there’s anything wrong with that, but there are other things to do, and other lifestyles.

Don’t become fixated on what other people tell you is going to make you happy.

I also think you should continue to read here, and if you want to interact, just be polite. Have a question? Ask a polite question. This advice actually applies to everything.

Don’t be a jerk. Ever notice on these “manosphere” sites, that when someone does come in there acting like a jerk, he gets barked at quick. And don’t you dare disagree or even question anything.

In many places, especially more open minded ones, you can question, wonder about, and discuss things with people. You should be polite thought, that’s all.

You can change yourself.

And you can start with having a more open mind.

You can leave the hurts of the past behind too. A therapist can help with that. And you can help yourself, too. First step is to just think – hey maybe I can have a more open mind about this, and anything else too.

Carrie
Carrie

@ Nequam,

Sorry, but Citronella candles don’t work on Sealions 🙁

Ichthyic
Ichthyic

Sure, people shit on you. No, it’s not your fault.

uh, in the case of this thread?

it is very MUCH his own fault. I would guess even deliberately so.

his “questions” were chock full of logical fallacies.

if it wasn’t intentional trolling, it sure as hell resembles it closely.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Carrie,

I love the avatar pic!

Godzilla Roberts
Godzilla Roberts

@Pug

We are not your therapist. Do not dump your problems here and expect us to take the time to answer you and the people who have, well you owe them one hell of a thank you because that’s not what we’re here for.

Now, kindly take the name of that Shakespearean fairy and put it back in the box where he can keep making sweet, sweet fairy love to Oberon on the story I’m writing where they have to take one of Tatiana’s kids to blow up their realm.

Oh, and if you don’t want to deal with people going “wow, Incels are shit” because you don’t think that you, yourself, are shit, do not hang out with incels. Because incels are shit. Save yourself. In this case you’re the only one who can.

Z&T

Listening to the podcast right now, at the part about the book cover with the “giant woman ass”.

Really excellent so far 🙂

@ Ichthyic,

What I meant by my thought you quoted, was about abuse.
For this person, or anyone. It is not the abused person’s fault.

I hope that clarifies things.

Z&T

Just finished the rest of this podcast, whole thing was great 🙂

Many good thoughts here!

Tashi Licious

apparently I need to test my avatar multiple times since this blog keeps *eating all my commmennnttsssss*

Jesalin
Jesalin

Stop making them taste so good then.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

The last time I checked, Dr. Nerdlove’s advice assumed a middle-class advice-seeker with middle-class access to resources (e.g. to buy fancy clothes, attend expensive social venues, and other things of that character). The assumption that the person you referred to Dr. Nerdlove has such resources might be incorrect. If there are comparably-purposed sites for working class folks it might be worth mentioning them too (but I don’t know of one, so I can’t fill in that gap myself).

Tashi Licious

My comments are delicious because I am delicious <3

Also, all those surprised that Pug did not reply put on their surprised faces.

:I

here is mine

Violet the Vile, Wielder of an Ideologically Weaponised Vagina
Violet the Vile, Wielder of an Ideologically Weaponised Vagina

Did we break Pug already??

Damn, I was hoping he would at least come back once!

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Dang. Matt Binder got hot, wtf.

Cats In Shiny Hats
Cats In Shiny Hats

All of you who spoke to Pug are amazing. I don’t have anything constructive to say, just that I’m impressed and hope to be that eloquent someday.

Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer

@ Godzilla Roberts:

You have my attention, but do the Mechanicals get to stage another show?

@ Imaginary Petal,

Re: Matt Binder,

I thought: He seems like a nice young man. Dang I feel old! 😀

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

Pug is gone! I can’t imagine why. . . .

Violet the Vile, Wielder of an Ideologically Weaponized Vagina
Violet the Vile, Wielder of an Ideologically Weaponized Vagina

@Kat

I know. I am disappoint.

They don’t make chew toys like they used to in my day

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Violet
Their shelf life has gotten shorter. I want a refund.

Katamount
Katamount

I’ve been listening to DOOMED off an on and it’s a solid podcast. His interviews with Krang T. Nelson and Nathan Robinson were nothing short of awesome. The interview with the ex-Turning Point USA employee was interesting insofar as its a glimpse behind the curtain of L’il Chuckie Kirk’s astroturf organization, but kinda wish Matt would have pushed back on the “I’m for free market capitalism” bullshit she occasionally engaged in.

In fact, along with Rebecca Watson and Amanda Marcotte, Binder was one of the folk that woke me up with how bad things were for women online with his old Public Shaming feed (it was either Twitter or Tumblr, but I can’t remember which). Back when Steubenville happened, Binder was simply retweeting or reposting the awful tweets that blamed the victim for her own sexual assault (and these people wonder where #MeToo came from). And that well was just bottomless; tweet after tweet of these people, just a non-stop victim blaming tsunami. That handful of cases happening around the same time in 2012 was when the scales kinda fell from my eyes as to how entrenched the misogyny in society really was, and that was two years before GamerGate.

Binder also catalogued entitled dillholes that mocked welfare recipients for not having jobs, but then found themselves unemployed and crying about not having jobs. Self-awareness, what name so?

Hambeast
Hambeast

David, I think you sound a lot like John Goodman.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I guess Pug left without even the courtesy of a funny flounce. Boo!

I think he was actually here attempting to gotcha us into disparaging 1in6 and/or male sexual abuse survivors. When nobody did anything like that, he kind of had no other option but to flail around.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

@Kat:

Their shelf life has gotten shorter.

That’s happened to bread here. I don’t know why. About ten years ago I could routinely find bread with 10 to 13 days still on its clock — e.g., on June 7 find bread with a sell-by date printed on the plastic thingy of June 17 or even up to June 20.

Now it’s common to find it with only a handful of days left on it, rare to find 8 or 9 days, and I never see 10 or above anymore. You’d think with the shortening of supply chains and “just in time” inventory management these days the opposite would be the case, but no. Assuming that it lasts for 14 days from the time of manufacture, where one shipment used to be delivered in a day and sell fully within a few more days, apparently now one shipment spends several days up to a full week sitting around in some warehouse somewhere before being shipped.

This is a problem, because as a single person I don’t consume it very fast, and I need one package to remain good for many days or it will start going moldy before I’ve eaten it all. And on my budget I can’t really afford to pay for food and have 20% of it go to waste.

Anyone here have any kind of clue what might have caused this change? Other than “neoliberal corporate overlords hate my guts and did this purely to screw poor people”?

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

@Surplus;

There’s no official, explicit reason for that happening, but – well, I’m afraid there’s a strong case to be made for “neoliberal corporate overlords wanting all of your money.” They have every incentive to bake bread in such a way that it goes bad quickly. If you’re throwing out bread, it means you’re buying it more often. Up here in Canada we already know they’re price-fixing cartel bosses, so it’s not so much a leap of logic as it is a side-step from the existing evidence.

Planned obsolescence has struck every part of our world, even bread! It really is a blight, driven entirely by capitalist greed. Was introduced as a concept in the 30’s by a guy named Bernard London as a plan to end the Depression. He wanted it to be government enforced – if you wore your shoes longer than the state-mandated Shoe Lifespan, you’d have to pay a tax! He argued it was like an estate tax, but one the government could collect while you were alive. So yeah, authoritarian ultra-garbage.

Then after the war, US manufacturers glommed onto the idea as a design philosophy to encourage consumption. This wasn’t state controlled but instead was a means of funneling more money into corporate hands through advertising. Add a bit over half a century and you get where we are now, with bread that goes bad before you can finish the damn loaf.

Bread freezes really well, though. Take half of your loaf, pop it in a second bread bag and put it in the freezer. When you’ve almost finished the first half, take the second half and leave it out with the bag open but tucked in under itself – just enough for the excess moisture to escape. The front slice might be dry but the rest should be fine.

I hope that works! Down with the corporate destroyers, etc, etc.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Surplus to Requirements

Damn.

When I find myself with too much bread, I put the loaves in the freezer and take the pieces out one at a time. They usually seem fine to me, although certainly not oven-fresh. If the texture is not great, I toast it. Works okay.

That said, I’m pretty sure this planned obsolescence is some sort of misandric plot aimed at lonely incels who enjoy sandwiches — correction, lonely incels who once enjoyed sandwiches; all that is gone now. You’re just collateral damage.

@ Surplus,

Put bread in the freezer!

@ Kat already beat me to it, but I will add that I do this from the get go.
As soon as I buy bread – it goes directly into the freezer.

I’m single and economical too. You can also freeze milk. I really only use it for coffee and some cooking, I buy a gallon, I divide it up in to smaller containers to be used as needed. When you start to run low on your fridge milk, then you get out a frozen container about a day or two ahead so it can thaw (in the fridge).

This is a good $ saver. I just got some milk, it was $3 a gallon. But the cheapest half gallon was $2.79, so yeah, get the gallon.

I can find it cheaper too, I have to really plan the shopping now, since my car is still wonky. I shop all the cheap stores and cook. Aldi’s, everyone knows Aldi’s, I also shop the discount food stores around here, dollar store for other cheap stuff, I’m very economical.

I do cook, and I’m a pretty good cook :), I also make simple things such as some muffins from mix, oatmeal cookies, just made a batch of these the other day, point –> other ‘bread like things” can be frozen, too.

This time I cut the batch of cookies in half and the rest are in the fridge. I’m kind of obsessive about certain things in the fridge because I’m phobic of “germs” and molds (thanks for reminding me! 😀 ) and what have you.

I keep all pasta and rice in the fridge.

Freeze the bread! I buy it, it goes RIGHT INTO the freezer. To be taken out as needed. White bread, nut bread, French bread, buns and rolls, muffins, I freeze all of these things.

And take out and let warm up as needed. No, I don’t have a microwave, either. I don’t eat a lot of meat, some, might be included in dishes easily thawed and reheated, or a small piece of frozen chicken can be baked straight away pretty quick. Other things can be thawed in a pan of hot water. If this is done properly (the interested can find instructions online), and then cooked right away, there is not time for any bad bacteria to build up. And of course common sense would tell you that you can’t leave a piece of meat or fish lying on the counter for 10 hours or anything.

I like to cook 🙂 and even with simple things, box mixes, it’s not that hard and you can save a lot of money too.

I met several neighbor friends through this too, people who like to cook outside, BBQ, it’s a topic of discussion and you can meet people through this too.

And as one of my friends pointed out too, two things: Ready made foods have a lot of “chemicals” in them. Even that store muffin mix, or mashed potato or stuffing mix, has a lot less chemicals and preservatives in it. It might not be “from scratch”, but it’s a start.

And the excess packaging. You, and the environment, are paying for that. How about a $4 pack of 4 muffins, from the store, the one store I go to has a bakery, but a lot of their stuff is shipped in from elsewhere. And even if nearby, it has to have more preservatives in it to hold up. And then these 4 muffins are in a big, clear plastic, clam shell, container.

Or, you could get a package of muffin mix, ranging anywhere from 50 cents to $2, which you just have to add a few other things to, and which produces 6 – 12 muffins.

Easy to make, too. Same with cake mixes. Make a cake, it’s easy. Instead of buying snack cakes and cookies or whatever. And you can cut that up and freeze portions of it too. You can easily get 8 servings out of this, which probably work out to 50 cents each.

I will quit here, just some ideas I had on ways to save 🙂

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

@Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

But surely incels have never enjoyed sandwiches, at least since their mother stopped making them for them? After all, one of women’s most important tasks is to provide their men with sandwiches, but these are incels, and therefore don’t have a woman to do so. It does not matter whether the bread will soon be obsolete or not. Its flavor is inconsequential. The only taste a sandwich ever has for an incel is the taste of salt. The taste of the tears that every sandwich causes to flow from an incel’s eyes, with every bitter bite reminding them their sandwich was not brought to them by a woman.

Sandwiches are, truly, the loneliest food.

Malitia
Malitia

They have every incentive to bake bread in such a way that it goes bad quickly.

Um. I’m late to this discussion but why would it be good for them that the stores can’t keep their product on the shelf for longer?

The sell by date isn’t “it will become inedible at this exact moment” it’s “if the consumer protection agencies find you selling it you’ll be so fined” and “if they find it went bad before this date and you don’t have a good excuse you’ll be fined”.

You as consumer can’t really tell if foodstuff is still good or not just by the numbers on the packaging. (If you could I’ve had died long ago in food poisoning.)

Malitia
Malitia

A bit too US centric but I have to link it:

Malitia
Malitia

I mean I can see how lack of knowledge about what “sell by” etc. numbers mean can lead to wasting food (and how it’s in the companies best interest to keep it that way).

But the “it’s expired” = “bad” thinking needs to die.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

As someone who is really fanatical about food waste, I think all products should carry a “sell by” date, a “use by” date, and a “well we’re in LD50 territory but it’s up to you” date.

Malitia
Malitia

Would make things easier. 😀

EJ (The Other One)

As someone who’s worked in food logistics, I don’t think it’s true that food is made to have a short shelf-life. If anything, the opposite is true: food is made to have as long a depot and store shelf life as possible, because stores hate throwing stuff out unsold, and a long store shelf life normally translates to a long fridge shelf life too.

(The depot life of a frozen turkey is five years. If you had a turkey for Christmas this year, chances are that it sat in the depot next to the one you had the year before that. I don’t know why this grosses me out but it does.)

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Doesn’t the produce sit frozen in a warehouse for a year sometimes before it goes out to the grocery store? Yuck.

No wonder there’s such a giant difference in taste and juciness between grocery store tomatoes and the tomatoes that we have in the garden for sadly, only a couple of months out of the year.

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)

Surplus,

As others noted, food industry wants to sell you oversized packages but probably not quickly spoiling food.

I understand there’s been general reduction in the use of food preservatives, driven by consumer activism and maybe also food regulation. (The health concerns on preservatives and other food additives may be often overhyped, though I’m not an expert on this.)

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

My general assumption has been that the date printed on the packaging amounts to “when the warranty expires”. It should be good until then. After that, all bets are off. I don’t throw it away if there’s some left then — only if there’s mold or something. But I assume that if any is left after that date it may go moldy, so if I get four days’ worth, say, with only three days left on it, then a quarter of it is at risk of going to waste. Statistically, that will add up to paying extra for the food I do eat, in the long run, even if it actually goes moldy the day after the timer runs out only one time in three or something.

As for freezing it, as a rule I don’t want soggy bread and I don’t want to make the preparation time for things like sandwiches jump by 1800% or so by adding “thaw for 20 minutes” to the start of a procedure that otherwise takes only around a minute and a half. Especially not when I know darn well that our civilization and supply lines and technology can supply me with fresher bread, because it used to, and simply chooses not to. Responding to that by spending extra time, extra money, or accepting reduced quality (let alone more than one of those three) feels like knuckling under to a coercive bully … even if a nebulous and hard-to-identify coercive bully. And what happens when people knuckle under is, the bully learns he can get away with it, and not only cements the new regime of crappier behavior, but becomes willing to push it another step, and next year maybe it becomes impossible to find bread with even a week left of guaranteed freshness, and a year after that, with more than five days, and a year after that

So, instead, I pretty much only buy stuff with adequate time still on it. If stuff with only a day or two won’t sell, the stores will pressure the manufacturers for fresher product. The bully will discover that his new regime of crappier behavior is getting pushback and may back off.

EJ (The Other One)

@WWTH:

When I was working there, fresh produce (tomatoes and stuff) didn’t stay in warehouses at all; it got fast-tracked from suppliers straight to the stores.

Generally, all fresh produce and meat will have 21 days or less from the farm to the shelf. It’s why it’s so expensive.

America may be different.

@Surplus to Requirements:
In the UK, a product has four best-before dates: the depot-by, store-by, sell-by and best-before dates. These are spread out depending on the product. All the dates except for the last one are printed on packaging that’s removed when it’s put on the shelf, so the customer doesn’t see it.

For example, a carton of milk that goes off on the 10th of the month will have a sell-by of the 8th, a store-by of the 6th and a depot-by of the 5th (for example.)

I am not a lawyer but I believe this is enforced by law to prevent people selling decaying goods.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I don’t know much (well, anything) about contemporary food standards law; but the old stuff is quite interesting. Food standard laws were some of the first regulatory offences and date back to the Middle Ages. The penalties for selling spoiled, or underweight, food items were very draconian.

I’m sure we’ve discussed before the origin of “baker’s dozen” being thirteen. Bakers would add an extra loaf to an order, rather than risk the batch being underweight.

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

Re: Freezing bread and then eating it – it doesn’t take very long at all to thaw a couple of slices of bread! Throw them in the microwave for about twenty seconds or so (as I recall). I also don’t like soggy food, so I will usually put a folded paper towel underneath, to wick up extra moisture.

My parents bought bread at costco when I was living at home, the three pack of loaves for a good price. They didn’t taste any different after being frozen (in the bags they came in, they didn’t put them in freezer bags) and then thawing in the microwave, or fridge.

You can also keep it in the freezer and just thaw the bread you need. I suddenly have more freezer room (YAY) and am planning on doing just that. Though I might want to get a nice, clean cloth to put under the bread perhaps… HM.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I’m a weirdo freak who does not mind soggy bread at all. One of my favorite fast meals is a cheese sandwich melted in the microwave. The grease from the cheese kind of melds into76y h6666666666666666 the bread sog.

I left the weird string of numbers in there because I thought everyone might want to view my cat’s contribution to this conversation.

kupo
kupo

If you freeze, it won’t stale, so you can just bring it back to room temp and it’s good. If you refrigerate it will stale, but just warm it back up in the oven a few minutes (I think it’s around 120F or so that the starch releases moisture again so it doesn’t taste dry).

kupo
kupo

Missed the edit window, but had one more thing.

This is more due to a) the variety of tomato they grow for selling at the store and b) picking it early so it won’t get bruised in transport. For point a), they cultivated the plants that best survived being picked by machine rather than by hand.

Malitia
Malitia

For kupo’s point a)

They also cultivated them for:
– longer shelf life
– more appealing looks

Tasting good was not a priority at all.

(It was long ago, but I wrote about the food industry for an elective geographic economy 101 class in college. I seriously wondered after it if I could somehow survive never eating ever again.)

Moggie
Moggie

Speaking of food, today’s Graun has an article on a fad diet: They mock vegans and eat 4lbs of steak a day: meet ‘carnivore dieters’

My favourite bit is about the “bitcoin carnivores”: I didn’t know that that was a thing, but as soon as I read it, it seemed inevitable.

“Bitcoin is a revolt against fiat [government-backed] money, and an all-meat diet is a revolt against fiat food,” said Michael Goldstein, a “bitcoin and meat maximalist” base in Austin, Texas. “Once someone has grown capable of seeing beyond the lies and myths that experts peddle in one domain, it becomes easier to see beyond them in other domains as well.”

There’s a link to a Motherboard article: Inside the World of the ‘Bitcoin Carnivores’, which is hilarious.

The implication of “fiat” is that modern money and modern foods are both artificial, and Bitcoin carnivorism supposedly solves this problem. Goldstein has been a dedicated carnivore since 2015, he told me, and eats “only from the animal kingdom, and mostly fat.” When I asked him to spell out the apparent Bitcoin-carnivory-libertarianism trifecta at play, Goldstein responded, “Once you put on the They Live glasses, you can’t take them off,” referring to the 1988 film in which a drifter finds a pair of sunglasses that when worn reveal the world is controlled by evil aliens.

(I reached out to a couple of well-known nutritionists for this article. One responded in an email, saying that the diet is “too ridiculous to be covered.” Another wrote, “Yet another extreme diet. Sigh.”)

Sadly, nobody quoted in either article says “avoiding vegetables to own the libs”.