men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW misogyny rape rape culture reddit

“Whenever I see a woman in ripped-up clothes, I assume she has a rape fantasy,” creepy MGTOW Redditor explains creepily

Ripped jeans: Apparently too much for MGTOWs to handle

By David Futrelle

A quick question for all of you.

When you see a woman wearing artfully distressed jeans with holes in them, what’s the first thing that pops into your head?

1. “Those are cute. I wonder where she got them?”
  2. “It’s weird how long ripped jeans have managed to stay in fashion.”
  3. “I hope her knees aren’t cold!”
  4. Something horrible about rape.

This dude posting on the Men Going Their Own way subreddit not only chose #4; he also, for some reason, felt obliged to share his reaction with his fellow MGTOWs.

jerseymayan 11 points 1 month ago Whenever I see women wear ripped up clothes like that, I assume she has a rape fantasy. From her subconcious, it's not only about showing skin but having a Man rip her clothes off to get her "off." permalinkembedunsavereportgive goldreply [–]GemStarCN21 8 points 1 month ago Excellent analysis, I never thought of it like that.

To be fair, it’s not clear to me if Mr. Jerseymayan thinks that ripped-clothes-wearing women actually want to be raped, for real, or if they simply fantasize about it, as many people of assorted genders do. What does seem certain to me is if your first reaction to seeing a woman with holes in her pants is to think about her being raped, there is something very wrong with you.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

#3, definitely. Also #2.

Moggie
Moggie

Interesting. I always thought that the message being sent by distressed denim was “this is an old and worn garment, which I will continue to wear until it falls apart, either because I’m genuinely poor or because I wish to let you know that I give zero fucks about your ideas of respectable dress”. But now I see that I was wrong, and that ripped jeans mean “I have been attacked by someone who required urgent access to my knees”. Thanks, MGTOW fashion writers!

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

For me, it’s a #3. But then I see women as fellow human beings, not objects, and I see their clothes and imagine what it might be like to wear them, not assume that it’s a performance for my delectation and delight.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

@Moggie

urgent access to my knees

Thank you. That has genuinely tickled me. No clue why.

kupo
kupo

@Moggie
Same. I’ve worn distressed jeans and liked them for the worn-in look and sometimes for the artistry of the placement of the distress marks. Never once have I thought of rape. Or sex. Or anything other than clothing myself.

Jo
Jo

That’s interesting, because whenever I see a man wearing a tie, I assume he subconsciously wants to be strung up from the nearest lamppost.

IBH Ardipithecus
IBH Ardipithecus

3, I think 3. It might be my age 🙂

@Jo – to be fair whenever I find myself needing to wear a tie, I generally do think that being strung up from the nearest lamp post is probably preferable. 🙂

epronovost
epronovost

Ripped jeans are also worn by men. I wonder if he thinks that men who wear ripped jeans also secretly want to be raped? In the same vein, we could say they secretly want to be very, very poor because poor people are frequently forced to wear damaged clothing (I do so and I’m not that poor). Or maybe, making sweeping judgements on a person likes or dislike based only on one relatively popular fashion choice is extremely stupid, but that’s probably not the correct answer.

/sarcasm

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

But if a woman wrote something like “whenever I see a man wearing a nice suit or driving an expensive car, I assume that on a subconscious level, he wants to marry a golddigger who will divorce him and take all his money” then they would be all up in arms about how evil women are.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

Time of death 5:35 PM (GTM -5)

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

I wonder if these guys just sit around thinking of the most absurd scenarios just to see which Goofus is going to chime in with “Excellent analysis, I never thought of it like that”?

EJ (The Other One)

I once saw a woman wearing jeans with neat holes over the knees which she had carefully hemmed, thus ruining the distressed look entirely.

What would jerseymayan make of that, I wonder?

Mexican Hot Chocolate
Mexican Hot Chocolate

If someone with the time and inclination wanted to, they could create a Wiki about the topics MGTOWs don’t know anything about. It would go to thousands of pages and basically replicate Wikipedia, so I guess we already have it. Wikipedia. It’s basically Wikipedia.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

This is what passes for “analysis” in MGTOW world. “Excellent” no less…

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Mexican Hot Chocolate,

It would be far easier to create a wiki of topics they are knowledgeable on.

Pictured

Nikki the Bluth Wannabe
Nikki the Bluth Wannabe

Put me in camp #2.

Bina's Little iPad Sock
Bina's Little iPad Sock

Definitely #3, because rheumatism. And I’m old enough to wonder how the distressed look is still A Thing, too.

And yeah. Do they think a dude with rips in the ass of his jeans is secretly Asking For It, too? Or do they just assume, as I do, that he got dragged by his own skateboard?

PS: My pute’s in for repairs, hence the sock.

Ash
Ash

I always just think it’s the one part of grunge fashion that never went out of style.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

Probably #2. Though, to be fair, there are cases where the rips are taken to extremes, and the jeans are nothing but strategically-placed tatters of denim held together with frayed thread. This is rare, however.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

Mostly 2 and a bit of 3, 3 cause, there’s no covering there, cold days and stuff.

tim gueguen

I often wonder what ridiculous price they paid for those pants.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@EJ

What would jerseymayan make of that, I wonder?

She wants someone to attack her knees, but very neatly?

Ooble
Ooble

@weirwoodtreehugger
My initial thought was, “how could you have a wiki that’s a physical book?” Then I realised… that’s what an encyclopaedia is.

The Real Cie

Back in the day (the 1980’s day) I tended to wear worn-out jeans and help the worn areas tear by picking at and de-threading them while sitting in class bored. I had no idea that I was actually fantasizing about being raped instead of daydreaming about meeting the members of my favorite bands and becoming their roadie, or having Scotty beam me up and going on an adventure in space and time, or the latest story I was writing. I’m glad this asshat came along and mansplained to me what I really was thinking about, or I never would have known.

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

3, then 2, with a splash of nostalgia for punk fashion. It wasn’t pretty, but it sure was fun.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

… I always think “She must have a cat too.”

Catalpa
Catalpa

I am overwhelmingly unlikely to notice if someone is wearing ripped jeans, unless they are, like, neon coloured or are in such a state that the jeans look like they lost a fight with a wood chipper. Unless clothing is somehow very distinctive, I almost never pay attention to it.

Knitting Cat Lady
Knitting Cat Lady

Heh, definitely #2.

I remember my cousins wearing them in the 80ies.

I wore them in the 90ies.

A few weeks ago, while I was freezing solid waiting for the train in -14C weather, I wondered if the people wearing ripped jeans would get frost bite…

latsot
latsot

My first thought is usually “I’m glad ripped jeans are still socially acceptable because I am too lazy/uncaring to buy new jeans”.

Pie
Pie

I’m always slightly disappointed that my jeans don’t wear and test in fashionable ways… they usually fail at the top of the inside thigh, or once along the curve of one bum cheek like they’d suddenly decided to become denim hot pants.

What do you have to do to get all those photogenic tears down the front and around the knees? Lots of commando crawling? Partially clad doggy style?

Dvärghundspossen
Dvärghundspossen

I don’t like that look. I’ve worn torn jeans myself when I was a tween in the 1980:s, but nowadays it just seems stupid to me to make holes in a previously whole and functional garment. When you make the holes at, like, the front of the thigh, it’s so obvious they’re artificial, because jeans don’t spontaneously tear in THAT place. They’ll tear apart, depending on your body shape and what you do while you wear them, at the butt, inside of the thighs or at your knees.

But to each their own and if someone else loves that look, you go wear them.

Also, if this style expresses a rape fantasy, clearly it must be the fantasy of being raped by someone with super strength. Seriously, even if you’re strong by ordinary standards, taking a pair of whole jeans and just tear at them until they’re torn apart is NOT easy.

Knitting Cat Lady
Knitting Cat Lady

@Dvärghundspossen:

Tearing fabric is pretty difficult most of the time. Aside from extremely thin or worn fabrics.

Most fabrics you won’t be able to tear at all unless you make a small cut at the edge and tear from there.

And even that won’t work with jeans!

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Knitting Cat Lady
Knitting Cat Lady

@SFHC: That video is adorable.

Who?
Who?

I think for me it deppends on the time of the year what I think.
3: I wouldn’t think on a hot summerday but if it in winter the thought has crossed my mind (has crossed my mind for other fashion trends also)

Perhaps in sommer it would be 2 or perhaps right time to wear them.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

It adds a whole other level of creepiness to the term “bodice ripper” for romance novel. I’ve never had clothes ripped during/before sex. Not even flimsy stuff like mesh or lace underwear. I’ve never heard a friend talking about that happening either. It kind of makes old fashioned romance novels seem even rapier than they already did.

Katamount
Katamount

Re: #3… there’s a private school a couple blocks away from where I live and on occasion, I see the girls wearing their uniform skirts outside in the 10 to 20 below 0 Celsius winter. Plus windchill. I have no idea how they can handle it. O.o

Dvärghundspossen
Dvärghundspossen

I knew this girl when I was 20 who had this fantasy of having her clothes literally torn off her. She and her boyfriend tried to enact it, like with old clothes I guess that she didn’t mind wasting, but it was hard, as Knitting Cat Lady points out above. She was like “take a pair of scissors and cut them off then!”. Unfortunately, since both were drunk as well, he accidentally stabbed her in the thigh when he tried to. It wasn’t deep or serious or anything, but still.

Hambeast
Hambeast

2. Definitely 2. I often wonder if they’ve gone out of style and come back in style and I just missed it.

I got some “Bourbon barrel aged” coffee from Trader Joe’s. It’s like drinking Irish coffee first thing in the morning. Weird. I think it would be nice with some butterscotch syrup and half and half as a dessert coffee, but I generally drink my coffee black, so it’s like someone dumped their shot of bourbon in my coffee.

Moon_custafer
Moon_custafer

Wonder what they’d make of the decorative slashes on some historical garments?

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

My daughter invoked #1 last week. 😀 Of course, she works at a consignment store so I know darned well where she got them. 😀

Yeah, my jeans always tear on the inner thighs. 😛

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria

My jeans always tear first at the bottom of the front pockets. Mostly on the left hand side, since that’s where I have my cell phone there and it usually falls into the same spot there. I am only now realising that this can only mean that I secretly want my phone to be stolen. That’s how this works now, right?

I remember being a child in the nineties and desperately wanting to have ripped jeans, but also wanting to desperately avoid any clothing-related discussions with my mom, so it was easier to just pick on all the natural holes and tears and pretend to have done nothing.

Dvärghundspossen
Dvärghundspossen

Masse_Hysteria: Yeah my trousers tend to wear out wear I put my keys in my pocket, so I probably want someone to break into my house.

bluecat
bluecat

Increasingly as I age it’s “Oh dear, you look cold. Can I knit you something warmer?”

With my jeans it’s more worrying that when I kneel down to weed the allotment the whole leg comes off.

Philosophical question: if a woman wears anything and no MGTOW-dude sees it, is it still “a sign she wants to be raped”?

Z&T
Z&T

I had to take my car back to the shop today. And then tripped and skinned my knee walking home 🙁

This is how you get ripped jeans!

@ bluecat, yeah about chores too –

Like you’re going to put on a ball gown and heels to work in your garden. Or take out the trash, rake leaves, take an exercise walk, many things that call for comfortable or appropriate clothing.

Do you see truck drivers wearing tuxedos?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Do you see truck drivers wearing tuxedos?

There’s a trucking firm here called Eddie Stobart; and all the drivers wear ties which I quite like. Also, all the lorries have names; which usually leads to me swerving all over the motorway as I try to read what a particular one is called.

PaganReader - Misandrist Spinster

If you have issues with wearing holes in the inner thighs of your pants you can reinforce them with iron on patches like these

Lord Pabu
Lord Pabu

I still love distressed jeans. And I have friends who think it doesn’t make sense to buy them; just wait until your jeans tear on their own! Well, I’m in the same boat as those of you whose jeans tear under their butt cheek or the inner thigh before they tear anywhere aesthetically pleasing.

Even when the knees rip from wiping out on my longboard it’s a little below the actual knee when I’m standing upright (my knee is bent when it hits the pavement, which puts extra pressure on the pant leg and pulls it up). So normal wear and tear, even when it happens on the knees, doesn’t have the aesthetic look I’m going for.

Now I favor the frayed look over an actual tear, because I’ve shredded a few pairs of jeans by getting my foot stuck in that hole in the knee as a pull them on. I am neither graceful nor patient : P

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi

First thing that pops in my head:

1. Why would you pay good money for clothes that are already ripped?
2. Gah, I guess I’m old now.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Whenever I see a guy wearing a football jersey, I naturally assume he’s fantasizing about being slammed to the ground by several 300-pound linebackers. Why else would he wear it?

When I see a guy with a mustard stain on his shirt, he’s signaling that he wants to be pushed into a huge vat of Dijon.