doggoes kitties open thread

Merry Christmas, if you’re into that sort of thing!

Hope you all are having a lovely day today, whatever this day means to you (or doesn’t). Consider this an open thread, to discuss whatever, from presents to politics to cats to whatever holiday stress you might be feeling.

And here’s some stuff I found on the Twitter.

— David, who is hanging in there

Moon_custafer
Moon_custafer

Having rewatched the Brett versions fairly recently, I’d also note that his Holmes is frequently brusque with people of his own social class or higher, but is generally pretty polite to any servants or working-class people he questions during the course of a case (unless he’s undercover as one, and too much politeness would give him away.)

I can also recommend the BBC radio adaptations with Clive Merrison and Michael Williams.

Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin
Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin

@Alan 😁 I love the IT Crowd! that is some thing my brother (and me!) loves which is much much better than Sherlock 👍

I’ve only seen Dany Dyers movies – but actually I like them. they are fun. they have some energy, little bit like first pirates of the Caribbean. and I like the soundtrack for this too.

@Shadowplay
sadly, YouTube is blocked on my vessel, and internet is too slow anyway. but I will try and remember!

i went to London before with my mum and we visited 221b Backer Street – because Madame tussaudes is too busy – I bought ‘a study in Scarlett’. and I still didn’t read it (almost 8 years later! 😝)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Judge today dismissed Assange’s application to have his arrest warrant set aside.

“He appears to consider himself above the normal rules of law and wants justice only if it goes in his favour.”

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@Alan

I’m having a rather frustrating workday, so hearing that Assange was denied the pony he was pouting for gives me a really warm feeling.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

You never, never move the cat.

Speaking of which, my little Sassy girl has gone into heat. I kept putting off calling the vet to have her spayed. I finally called, and the soonest appointment available is March 14. Oh well, there’ll be lots of affection and rolling around from her.

Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie
Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie

We’ll get right on that, after we’ve finished putting out these fires.

… at my workplace, there’s an older silver Honda in the parking lot, had been in the same spot for, I guess a couple of months…. I thought it was abandoned, as whenever I come in (often very early) or leave, (often very late), it was there… even on weekends… even on Sunday night….

Nope. Belongs to one of the I.T. group. I.T. here is really a high-end data protection systems developer group run by the children of the couple who own the company I work for… handy, as they’re on the other side of the office… and they’re very good! The code pounder who owns the Honda drives it home daily… at least on the days when they GO home….
O_o

Shadowplay

@Alan, @moon_custafer

Yes, Brett was really really good as Holmes, and certainly well worth watching (the production quality is also a lot better), so I’d encourage watching him!
I just like the Rathbone ones better, personally. Partly because he gives Holmes just the right amount of coldness for the character, partly because Watson is actually treated correctly – a soldier, skilled doctor, and a decent person rather than a bumbling fool and foil, and partially because black and white suits the ambiance better. Of course, him being my earliest exposure to Holmes might have a little to do with it! 😛

@Valentin
I’ll try to remember to remind you. 🙂 You’re on return leg now, I think?

Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin
Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin

I have one month remaining before i go home. not really ‘return leg’. this schedule just 3 week round trip, again and again.

Shadowplay

🙁 Sounds less than fun. Always nice to get home though. 🙂
Was it you that posted the video of 30 days timelapse at sea? I watch that weekly – it is so tranquil 🙂

Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin
Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin

no I didn’t and I didn’t seen that one. there is one Russian guy on YouTube who posted timelapse sea and drone footage which is nice to watch. I’ll share if i have a opportunity.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Moggie:

Incidentally, I just googled for “seagull”, and top of google’s autocomplete list was “seagull recipe”, surprisingly. Clearly more and more people are going their own way!

Eventually, someone will open a libertarian themed game restaurant named “Galt’s Gulls”. Prices up to negotiation based on how hungry you are and how much cooking you think your bird needs.

Mish, re cat paralysis photo:

Katamount (formerly Gussie Jives)
Katamount (formerly Gussie Jives)

@Moon_custafer

That’s interesting, isn’t it? I think if there’s one element of Holmes where his brusqueness comes out, it’s with the airs and pretension of the upper classes, particularly when it comes to avoiding embarrassment when lives are on the line. For example, Holmes is confrontational with the Duke of Holdernesse in The Priory School when he seems evasive regarding his own son’s disappearance. Yet when he speaks with Lord Holdhurst in The Naval Treaty, Holdhurst speaks honestly and forthrightly about the consequences of the Treaty getting out, and Holmes is deferential to the valuable time of a government official.

If the Brett Holmes episodes have any weakness, it’s in the padding of some of the feature-length episodes. And opinions differ as to who was the better Watson, David Burke or Edward Hardwicke, but I really found Burke to be far too befuddled in the role, as Hardwicke brought the right amount of experience and the educated eye, but you could tell he simply lacked Holmes’ attention to detail and encyclopedic knowledge. His only drawback was that he looked a bit too old for that role.

But in terms of production values, Granada brought their A-game. And Charles Gray’s two turns as Mycroft Holmes are particularly amusing. 😀

Shadowplay

Nothing related to any recent discussions, but popping this here:

Day One – Sunshine – spot against abuse in romantic relationships. Directed by Guilherme Marcondes & Lobo studio.

Shadowplay

Sorry for DP, had a sudden thought. The vid at the link I just posted is animated, and in a fairly non-realistic style.

Nequam
Nequam

@Shadowplay: Which universe did the Basil Rathbone films you watched come from? From what I’ve seen, Nigel Bruce was the embodiment of the dopey Watson that Kate Beaton sent up so nicely here.

That said, Rathbone was pretty much the Sidney Piaget illos of Holmes brought to life, so there’s that.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Mish

I’ve heard of people who just move the cat

People?! No, fiends — to hear my cats tell it.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Shadowplay
Amazing, heartbreaking video.

Here’s what I learned, the hard way, and what the video confirmed: The victimizer and the victim are in a relationship for different reasons. The victim wants emotional intimacy. The victimizer wants power over the victim. Of course, the victimizer usually has to hide this drive for power at the beginning of the relationship. This entire scenario really messes with the victim’s mind.

Thanks for posting that link.

mrex
mrex

@Arctic Ape

“I knew the Southern Hemisphere is topsy turvy – but having your legs between pussy?”

Guess so. Mostly, I’m wondering why I have spent the entire day with this strange desire to make lesbian sex jokes? *scratches head wanders off*

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Moggie:
Yes, I am well aware of what ‘Feuer’ means. (Three years of German in high school; while I have German ancestry, that’s far enough back that they were actually Palatines.)

@Katamount:
I’ve been called up for jury duty four times. The first two times involved staying in the court house for a week while they saw what cases came up; the second two times were just called up for a single specific case. The first case I ended up going in for was actually a small civil case, the lawyers each got to reject up to (I think) five people, no questions asked. Quick selection. Two others were murder cases, where we got asked if we felt we could judge the case without bias; lots more people to go through, lots more filtering. (In one of them one of the people pointed out that he lived within a block of the crime scene and had personally known the victim’s family. Needless to say, he was free to leave.)

I’ve never actually served on a jury, though the third time I was called up, the story the judge told us was interesting, and rather appropriate to this site…

Basically, the jury panel had been called in for a murder case that fell under the Young Offenders Act, and both the prosecuting and defense attorneys agreed to move it to judge alone the morning the selection was to start, so we weren’t actually needed. But it was too late to tell us not to come in. We showed up, got told things were happening, and to wait there. Then we got told to get lunch and come back. Then we got told that we were free to go, but if we wanted to stay a few more minutes the judge would explain what had been happening.

Turns out this second judge had nothing to do with the case we were originally called in for. He was the judge for another case which had been off and on for years. Started as a sexual harassment case, then a stalking case of the guy against his now ex-girlfriend… by the time we were there, there were some twenty charges on this guy’s sheet, including multiple ‘contempt of court’ charges for him disobeying restraining orders.

The guy’s two previous lawyers had quit, refusing to work with him anymore. He refused to work with his court-appointed lawyer. He was representing himself… and he was a disbarred lawyer. (Which was when a lot of us groaned, because nobody would know how to mess up a court case better than a self-interested lawyer, no judge would ever want to have to deal with that, and, well, disbarring a lawyer is not something done easily.) This guy sounded like entitlement city.

So basically this second judge had asked the bailiff to keep us around for a bit so he could go down to where the plea bargain discussion was going on, pop his head in, and say, “You know, if you really don’t want to take the deal, I’ve got a jury panel sitting in the courtroom upstairs not doing anything, we could start this right now.”

(The guy took the plea bargain.)

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

A Palin is in the news again!

Dakota Meyer Has Reportedly Filed for Divorce From Bristol Palin

Sources informed TMZ on Tuesday that Sarah Palin’s 27-year-old daughter Bristol Palin and her 29-year-old husband Dakota Meyer have separated.

The couple wed in 2016 and share two daughters. TMZ reported that the two are living in different domiciles but have not filed divorce papers. However People reported on Tuesday that Meyer has filed for divorce.

Palin and Meyer have unfollowed each other on Instagram.

[TMZ / People]

Skiriki
Skiriki

*pokes their head in*

FYI, there’s cute new pics at DidiCarisma’s twitter account, including videos. More to come, as the kitten is now toddling all over the place.

Personal: I have a new CT/MRI coming up on 19th, plus other controls, so the docs can decide if I am likely to recover as it should go, or if I am destined to develop more strokes and go down that way. Let’s put it this way, I’m not too gloomy to say so, since my maternal side uncle went this way and I witnessed my father-in-law’s decline post-accident incident; a hemorrhage that kept developing more and more… and it did not go well. And I’m having some issues with the meds I’ve been taking. We’ll see! But hopefully it’ll be good news and new meds, maybe.

Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin
Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin

skiriki – you are really brave! I hope it is good news 💚

Croquembouche, extrenely mamal omen
Croquembouche, extrenely mamal omen

Re Martin Freeman, disappointed but yet again not surprised.

I’ve never seen him play anything but a decent bloke (OK, Arthur Dent was a bit of a prick and he didn’t really get that across for me) , and unconsciously the expectation that the actor is the character carries over. Which kicks in my Second Thoughts.

Possibly it’s because he’s shortish, not conventionally attractive, and unglamourous, so he only gets offered sidekick or “humble hero-against-his-will” roles.

Maybe he’s been offered Kaiser Soze “beneath this mundane exterior lurks a hypervillainous mind” roles, and turned them down. Who knows?

He plays nice guys. Or, is it Nice Guys?

Speaking of the expectation that the actor is the character, in Australia recently one of our me-too moments has involved Craig McLachlan. So there’s a certain amount of “Dr Blake wouldn’t do that!! ” going on.

PS skiriki, fingers crossed for you.

Shadowplay

@Skiriki

Sending luck vibes your way.

Anyone else following the Oxfam clusterfuck? Whats pissing me off about it is it is far from new – been going on for years, and nothing EVER gets done about it.
I reported a guy for sex predation back in the early 90’s, FFS. Oxfam’s response was … to move him to a different location. Only found that out after I got home (I wasn’t with the Oxfam lot).

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

Bit of list, sorry.

@Victorious Parasol,

Thank you so much for that – brilliant stuff. I went straight to my favourite online bookstore and ordered 🙂

@Skiriki,

That video of BB playing with Mumma’s tail!!!!!! And pls keep us posted on the medical/health news, if you want <3

@Arctic Ape,

We, um… we do things differently here, ok? And as Alan recently suggested on FB, Australia is actually a fake country. We make our own rules about what goes where.

Shadowplay

Australia is actually a fake country

It’s not a country! It’s a continent!!! If you insist it’s a country, you WILL FAIL YOUR ASSIGNMENT!!!11

In other news – yeah, that happened. 😛

Katamount (formerly Gussie Jives)
Katamount (formerly Gussie Jives)

@Jenora Feuer

Four times??!! Wow…… I mean I felt kinda strange being called at all when neither of my parents nor my brother have been called, nor even my boss. But four times… whew. It’s been six years since my turn, so I’m sure I’m eligible again (is it three or five years between calls?), but I’d rather not have to miss work to sit around a crowed room downtown.

@Croquembouche

I think you’ve nailed the rub of it. My first exposure to Martin Freeman (as I think it was for most) was the British version of The Office and seeing as Tim Canterbury, the “Nice Guy” of an office full of maladjusted weirdos and a-holes, and I don’t think that role ever really left him, much as David Brent I don’t think every quite left Ricky Gervais. So rather than being surprised that Freeman’s a terrible person, we’re more shocked that Tim Canterbury is a terrible person.

*shrug* Watching a lot of the old quote-unquote “skeptic” YouTube folks I used to watch expose their bigoted side has kinda numbed me to this, and they were a lot closer to earth than movie stars. Some out there derisively refer to it as a “purity test”, but abiding people’s basic dignity has become such a point of contention that I don’t care about how much you as a straight white guy support gay marriage or legalized pot and object to fundamentalist religion; if you’re standing in opposition to emancipatory movements started by black, indigenous or the LGBT (especially the T) populations, or worse, if you’re willing to traffic in negative stereotypes of those communities, then you’re not good enough a person in 2018. Because you weren’t a good enough person in 1964 with those same attitudes.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@ Mish

Yay! Whadja get? *happy bounce* I hope you like them!

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

I think I saw the “Australia is fake” theory mentioned on Twitter. The idea being, that a small, remote continent was made up by the British authorities over 200 years ago so that thousands of criminals could be “sent to the Australian colonies” when they were actually just murdered out of sight. Makes almost perfect sense, I have to say.

Only I don’t understand why the modern governments, media organizations, corporations and assorted private individuals keep pretending that Australia is a thriving, globally somewhat important nation populated in part by millions of recent immigrants. It must be a vast global conspiracy.

If we still still can’t acknowledge the murder of those prisoners, surely it’d be easiest to portray Australia as an almost uninhabited, almost uninhabitable, desolate piece of land that has no practical relevance to anyone, where only a handful of fictional people survive in relative isolation as the descendants of the original colonists.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Katamount:
Yes, four times. That said, I’ve lived in Toronto for twenty-five years, and actually owned the house I’m living in for twenty of those last twenty-five. I believe homeowner rolls are part of where they get the information for jury panel requests. And as I noted, both of the last two times I was only called in for one specific case, which didn’t actually go to jury trial, so I was only down at the courtroom for the day. (One of them was just the morning; we were out of there by 9:30 or so. File in, wait for judge, get told case was resolved late last night, judge asks if anybody present works for the TTC because there’s apparently some other case about to start where somebody who knows about internal operations would be useful.) Both of the first two times were pre-9/11, so there wasn’t the metal detector at the court building entrance yet.

Based on https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/courts/jury/juryduty.php it’s a minimum of three years between panels.

kupo
kupo

Am I the only one who thought Tim on the office was an asshole? He felt entitled to the affections of Dawn, who was engaged and turned him down multiple times. He played pranks on Gareth simply to get a rise out of him. I know we’re supposed to like this character but think about how this person would treat you in the real world. Is that someone you would enjoy hanging out with?

Katamount (formerly Gussie Jives)
Katamount (formerly Gussie Jives)

@kupo

Nope, you’re not alone on that score. I found Tim’s proposition of Dawn that went awry very off-putting and entitled, textbook “Nice Guy (TM)” behaviour.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

@Jenora:

If homeownership significantly increases the probability of jury duty, doesn’t that mean juries are class-biased to be mostly middle-and-above, without working-class Joes and Janes?

At least now that housing is all but unaffordable to the working class?

@everyone:

Saw this over at Vox.

Thoughts?

Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin
Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin

I never watched the Office – but I don’t understand that fans of Martin Freeman think he is like ‘cute little nice guy’ who is sweet and funny in interviews. I find he seems arrogant and self – important, so I am not surprised before about what SFHC said. it seems like this is his character, and simply he wants everyone to believe he is lovely ‘normal’ guy.

Katamount (formerly Gussie Jives)
Katamount (formerly Gussie Jives)

*sigh* It was just a matter of time, but Fox is now farming content from 4chan:

Whatchoo folks think of those official portraits? I’m digging Michelle’s, but I really don’t like the way Barack looks like he’s floating on the greenery. It’s just weird and kinda makes the portrait look too much like a Magic Eye pattern.

Just to toot Canada’s horn a bit, I’m actually pretty fond of Michaelle Jean’s official portrait as Governor General:

Certainly breaks the mold and gives the viewer a flavour of not only her personality, but the role of the GG in Canada.

Adrienne Clarkson’s is rather striking as well:

comment image

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Shadowplay – Late as usual, but I wouldn’t mind taking a look at your writing*. I followed you on Twitter (my profile pic shows me reading a book upside down). 🙂

The Colton Boushie case is distressing. I don’t buy for a minute that Gerald Stanley’s gun went off by accident; who does? My dad commented that it seems like a cynical claim – that the Stanleys don’t expect to be believed, but that the “accident” statement is sending the message that indigenous people better stay off white people’s land or else they might also meet with an “accident”. He’s phrasing it in a dramatic way (I mean, I’d think they’d want to be believed in some way, if only to avoid jail time), but that doesn’t mean he’s essentially wrong. There’s deeply ingrained racism here.

*My fiction reading/writing experience tends towards realist, surreal, sci-fi, experimental and comedic stuff – not that I don’t like other genres, but I don’t know as much about, say, paranormal or fantasy

Shadowplay

Thank you, epitome! Messaged you the link 🙂

@Katamount

I’m the opposite. Really liked Barack’s portrait, thought Michelle’s was really meh (and not terribly good – it’s lifeless and she’s anything but that.)

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Surplus to Requirements, re article – I like the “prevention vs. cure” approach. I’m a bit iffy about the writer’s tendency to lump feminists together, or suggest that those who favour legal recourse support more incarceration. But there are some good practical suggestions in it:

[Equality] means expanding the social safety net so survivors don’t need to remain with abusers. It means delinking health care from employment status so that one’s health doesn’t depend on remaining in an abusive workplace.

Katamount (formerly Gussie Jives)
Katamount (formerly Gussie Jives)

@Shadowplay

That seemed to be the consensus around Wonkette as well. I guess I go against the grain. 😛

Actually, now that I think about it, our new Governor General Julie Payette is entitled to her own Coat of Arms under the Canadian Heraldric Authority. Hmm, lemme look it up…

Whoa, now that’s some badass shit.

comment image

The music staff on the crest looks a tad silly, but the rest is just beautiful. I especially love that the helm is an astronaut helmet and the pair of Lynxes with the starred collars.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

My representative Keith Ellison tweeted a great answer to the “economic anxiety” Trump voter.

If you voted for Trump, know that his hate will not feed your kids, heat your home or help cover your medical bills. But his budget proposal is a real threat to take those things away from millions of families as he transfers wealth to the richest few.

Not many in Washington to be proud of, but he’s one of the few.

I’m watching the NBC coverage of the latest school shooting. The white male suspect was seen on camera with the police, so no mention of the word terrorism, of course.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Every time I think I can no longer be surprised at the right winger’s capacity for willful delusion, I read a tweet like this

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

And so sorry to spam, but given that it’s Valentine’s day, I have to wonder if this was motivated by romantic rejection or if he was an incel type. Complete speculation on my part though.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

It’s still the 14th over here for a couple more hours, so come to think of it –

<3 to David, to his mammoth-hunting creation and to all of you mammotheers; I hope you're well and that those of us who are ill and/or stressed get better and stress-freed as soon as may be.

Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie
Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie

re: school shooting (5th one in U.S. this year, 2 on 22January…)

the dumpster-fire-in-chief offered “thoughts and condolences”, so that’s it for action from washington

ETA:

oops, “prayers and condolences”… good xian that he is….

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Fucking NRA and their fucking power trips preventing us from doing anything significant to keep kids from murdering each other.

Moggie
Moggie

What can one say about a mass shooting which hasn’t been said a hundred times before? There’s a reason the Onion runs essentially the same article after every mass shooting. No doubt they’ll run it again this time, and once again it’ll be probably the best comment on the event in any US media. Which is a ridiculous state of affairs.

On a completely different topic: is the video below creepy, or not?

mrex
mrex

Re: Keith Ellison

Addressing the economic anxiety issue rather than sneering, or pretending it doesn’t exist? Fuck, I wanna move to MN just so I can vote for him.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Surplus to Requirements, regarding class bias in jury selection:
Quite possibly. That said, I don’t know exactly what criteria are used to make up the lists they send out, but given that most of the actual mailings for jury duty have to be made up locally based on caseload requirements, property tax rolls are one of the easier places to find names that would be guaranteed to be local. But even just requiring a fixed address adds a class bias on its own.

Toronto’s also a bit of an unusual case in that the main Federal courthouse in Toronto is basically the busiest courthouse in the country, due to the population of the area.

The two combined together would go a long way to explaining why I’ve been called up four times. (Yes, I own my house; it helps that I bought it some 20 years ago, not long after a previous local speculator boom crashed and dropped housing prices here for a while. I’m under no illusions about how much of that boiled down to luck in timing.)

@Katamount:
Yes, a lot of the science fiction fans and the like I hang out with were geeking out over the new Governor-General’s coat of arms back when it was first released.

@epitome of incomprehensibility, others:
I don’t know that all that many people believe that it was actually an accident, instead figuring it was an ‘accident’ in the old mob boss ‘wouldn’t want anything bad to happen’ sense.

But yeah, there is some deeply ingrained racism there. There’s a reason why the CBC web site started disabling comments on any articles to do with First Nations peoples, because the comments tended to get very bad very quickly. http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/community/editorsblog/2015/11/uncivil-dialogue-commenting-and-stories-about-indigenous-people.html

In some ways I was lucky there as well: one of the people I went to school with was a son of one of the hereditary chiefs, who was also a fairly famous woodcarver and associated with the Royal B.C. Museum. Knowing him helped inoculate me against a lot of the casual racism of what ‘those people’ were like.

I find it interesting to look back on my life and see what events led me to be the sort of person I am today. I get the impression that the problem with a lot of these people involves actively avoiding such introspection.

MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)
MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)

Happy Valentines Day (or happy belated Valentines Day, depending what time zone you’re in!) everyone! I hope you have a great day! Today I’m just going to see the Black Panther and go out to lunch. I wanted to see it yesterday, but the earliest showing was at 6pm, I like going to the afternoon sessions.

comment image