Uncategorized

Doug Jones Victory Dog Dance Party! Open Thread for laughing at Roy Moore

What a huge fucking relief. Thank you, black voters of Alabama, for sending Roy Moore packing.

Screw you, Roy Moore, but not that poor horse you rode in on.

Why would you ride to the polls on a horse if you CAN’T FUCKING RIDE A HORSE PROPERLY TO SAVE YOUR LIFE YOU FAKE COWBOY ASSHOLE PREDATOR?

Here are some more Tweets and an open thread. CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES COME ON.

One more dancing dog because why not?

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

I’ve always been puzzled by the inclusion of revolting-but-(allegedly)-healthy foods like sprouts and spinach as part of celebratory feasts. It won’t kill you to omit the less palatable veggies for one night, and your taste buds will thank you. 🙂

Shadowplay

We are 🙂 . No carrots. No cranberries. No parsnips.

Whole family loves both brussels sprouts and spinach – the kids used to fight over how many sprouts they got. Their kids are the same. 🙂

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

does not compute

The fights we had growing up were always aiming to have the number be zero. Sneaking one onto someone else’s plate when nobody was looking, for instance.

Oh, BTW — don’t forget to include some Diet Coke. Some people don’t want calories, alky, or a hot drink like coffee or tea, and would prefer something a little less bland than water.

*grumble* I’d rather have the Daily Mail in the house than a diet Coke 😛

You are right – don’t think anyone wants diet, but it won’t hurt to get a couple cans in.

The sprouts thing – most people say it’s weird. But we do all like them, indeed crave them at times, despite having a normal range of likes and dislikes otherwise.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

Not doing the whole Xmas lunch/dinner thing here unless the partner feels like making something (Sikh guy, excellent cook). BUT…
Brussels sprouts ohmygosh I love them. So yummy, especially with tamari. Love broccoli, too. I find this pic hilarious, even tho I disagree and so do all my tastebuds:

@Mish

One way I cook sprouts is using them instead of the cauliflower in aloo gobi. It is somewhat phenomenal. 🙂

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

*drools*

*drools some more*

Om nom nom…

Tovius
Tovius

My grandfather was Italian, so we always had to have lasagna for Christmas.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Spinach is one of the few healthy things I actually love. It’s great raw in salad or on a sandwich. It’s delicious with any pasta or on pizza and I love quiche Florentine.

Not typically into Brussels sprouts but I did have some bruschetta with sprouts once that was quite tasty. Apparently they can be made tasty.

Moggie
Moggie

Shadowplay:

No parsnips

Normally I try to be tolerant when other people are wrong about food, but I can’t let this pass. What the fuck is wrong with you? Parsnips are heavenly!

Shadowplay

If parsnips are heavenly, book me a seat in hell please. 😛

They’re nutritious, versatile, filling, inexpensive – and I ate bushels of the damned things as a kid for all those reasons. Can’t stand the taste of them now. I’ll roast them for my partner, or make her parsnip soup, as she likes them – but no way I’ll eat them, barring starvation.

And, since I’m the cook today …. 😉

Moggie
Moggie

Carter Page, Dunning-Kruger exemplar: Ex-Trump adviser Carter Page accused academics who twice failed his PhD of bias:

Carter Page, Donald Trump’s former foreign policy adviser, accused his British examiners of “anti-Russian bias” after they took the highly unusual step of failing his “verbose” and “vague” PhD thesis, not once but twice.

Page was a little-known oil consultant who lived and worked in Moscow when he joined Trump’s campaign in March 2016. The then-candidate named Page as one of five foreign policy advisers, calling him “Carter Page PhD” in a meeting with the Washington Post’s editorial board.

In fact, Page took three attempts to gain his doctorate from the University of London, finally succeeding in 2011.

In emails seen by the Guardian, Page compares his decade-long struggle to get a postgraduate qualification to the ordeal suffered by Mikhail Khodorkovsy – the Russian oligarch sent to a Siberian prison by Vladimir Putin.

In one unhappy note to his examiners, he writes: “Your actions to date have been far more destructive than anything I have personally experienced in my 39 years on this planet.” The fate of Khodorkovsky, he adds, represents “the closest analogy in recent history to my trials”.

His examiners said that he knew next to nothing about the subject matter, and expected to hide this behind blather. He was “dumbfounded” to hear that his work wasn’t as good as he had thought. He reacted with a hilariously overwrought persecution complex. Yep, you can see why he would be at home in Trump’s inner circle.

Kevin
Kevin

Re: Veggies and food likes/dislikes.
Everyone’s different, can’t stand sprouts as they set off my gag reflex (not helped by my mum belittling this as ‘nonsense’ when I was a kid) but I’d snarf down broccoli all day if it weren’t for the lower bowel side effects.
Experiences in our early years seem to have a major effect, for example my dad can’t stand rabbit as it was so frequently on the farm diet where he was billeted as a child evacuee in WWII.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I don’t like lima beans for early childhood reasons. But I love broccoli and carrots and other veggies.

Going shopping today for Christmas feast ingredients, hopefully avoiding the crowds.

Katamount (formerly Gussie Jives)
Katamount (formerly Gussie Jives)

@Manecki

Oh, good call on ending War Room when you did. Having watched Brad Jones’ review, the last 40 minutes of its 120 minute running time (!) is just the stupid Double Dutch tournament! There’s literally two lines of closure (the d-bag husband lands a new job after defrauding the pharmaceutical company he used to work for by illegally selling drug samples and Miss Clara sells her house, THE END!) There’s no reason that film needs to be anything longer than 80 minutes, yet it just keeps going and going. The wife running outside her house in the middle of the night and yelling at the Devil that he’s not going to take her marriage (while her daughter’s in the house and can probably hear her mother’s nonsensical rantings) was probably one of the funniest parts because it just goes on and on and you can tell that none of the cast are professional actors. But the entire subplot about how much the wife’s feet smell (I am being absolutely serious about this) is brought up multiple times for nothing but padding and has the lamest payoff at the end.

You can usually tell a movie’s going to be insulting to your intelligence if it gets good reviews from the Dove Foundation and features that prominently on the cover.

Schnookums Von Ghostface Fancypants Killer
Schnookums Von Ghostface Fancypants Killer

Re: Diet Coke

For me, it’s not the calories, it’s the fact that, as a semi-recently diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic it allows me to still drink soda without worrying about my blood sugar.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I like Mexican Coke the best as it’s made with real cane sugar but prefer diet sodas to regular sodas (in the US, anyway) because the high fructose corn syrup is way too sweet for me. I drink one or two diets a day as it’s a good way to keep enough caffeine in me to keep my energy up. I love coffee but with my insomniac tendencies, it’s too much caffeine to drink past 10 or 11 in the morning.

Moggie
Moggie

Are there any Trump appointees who aren’t either ridiculous or evil?

US ambassador to Netherlands describes own words as ‘fake news’:

The US ambassador to the Netherlands faced an excruciating moment on television when he denied ever saying that there were no-go zones in the Netherlands, calling the suggestion “fake news”.

Trump’s new choice for ambassador, Pete Hoekstra, who was only sworn in by the vice president, Mike Pence, on 11 December, was being interviewed for current affairs programme Nieuwsuur by reporter Wouter Zwart.

Zwart says: “You mentioned in a debate that there are no-go zones in the Netherlands, and that cars and politicians are being set on fire in the Netherlands.”

Hoekstra replies: “I didn’t say that. This is actually an incorrect statement. We would call it fake news.”

Hoekstra is then shown clips of him saying: “The Islamic movement has now gotten to a point where they have put Europe into chaos. Chaos in the Netherlands, there are cars being burnt, there are politicians that are being burnt … and yes there are no-go zones in the Netherlands.”

Challenged about having called this “fake news”, Hoekstra then went on to deny to Zwart that he had in fact used the phrase “fake news”.

“I didn’t call that fake news. I didn’t use the words today. I don’t think I did.”

So, to summarise: he described the true fact that he described his own fake news as “fake news” as “fake news”. Doucheception.

Robert Walker-Smith
Robert Walker-Smith

Our younger son has requested that Christmas dinner this year be gumbo.
We are going to accommodate his request.

Due largely to my childhood, there are very few things that I won’t eat. Some foods I enjoy less (raspberries, hazelnuts), but it’s all grist for the mill. With seven children, there was a certain amount of competition for food, and anything you refused to eat would be cheerfully snarfed by a sibling. One of my brothers went from twelve to seventeen without eating a single green vegetable.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

@Robert Walker-Smith:

Your sibling reminds me of my sister, who attempted to go for years without ingesting anything green. Her attitude changed when she became a teenager. One day at dinner, she said “I think I’ll have a salad”. Our father almost fell out of his chair in shock!

@Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy:

I love Brussels sprouts, myself. As long as they’re not past their prime, and have turned bitter.

Another dish I love is creamed onions. Haven’t cooked them in years, because so many people dislike them.

JoeB

Lol, Weird Mike denied again. Cernovich the #2 finisher in the Shit Account Tourney for the 2nd year in a row. Laura Loomer took this years crown joining Chuck C. Johnson, “TweetOfGod”, and Kurt Eichenwald as champions.

Hambeast
Hambeast

Beast 1 (Desmond) had no fever yesterday morning. He still has a stuffy nose, but he’s eating normally again and trying to play which is hard when he can’t breathe normally thru his nose.

Beast 2 (Stoffy) is missing his buddy. He started calling for Des last night. He bonked my face and climbed all over me again last night (all night, but I slept through it better, I think.) He’s a sweeetie!

I’m back on my own computer now after Husbeast had to wipe my hard drive yesterday. Everything is much, much faster now!

Kidbeast will be arriving today to stay for a couple of weeks for the holidays. We’re planning to see TLJ together. I will have to purge my kitchen of cannabis before they get here; I got myself a Magical Butter Machine and have been experimenting with recipes the last couple of weeks.

JoeB

Bad day all around for Weird Mike, trying to hold an AMA on reddit, folks are taking it to him, even mods getting in a few pot shots.

Robert Walker-Smith
Robert Walker-Smith

JoeB – thanks for the link. Wow. It’s an interesting experience seeing someone getting flame roasted that badly and not feel any sympathy.

JoeB

You have to go halfway down the thread before there’s a clearly real question that isn’t bashing him. There’s one about a page down that reads sincere enough but is asking him to admit times he’s been wrong (and of course Cerno goes with “I use to think calling leftists nazis was dumb”)

kupo
kupo

I’m one of the lucky few who has a genetic mutation that prevents me from tasting the bitter component in crucifers, so I looooove Brussels sprouts. My thyroid, however, does not, so they’re a rare treat for me.

PeeVee the (Tired of the Militant Plasticfaced) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Tired of the Militant Plasticfaced) Sarcastic

My favorite Cerno question:

“For somebody who hates socialism as much as you do, how does it feel to be publicly owned?” (From memory; it may not be precisely quoted.)

Still, I feel bad about all of the comments about his lisp. My daughter and granddaughter both have them…but OTOH, they’re not terrible people, so they don’t get mocked them for that.

Moggie
Moggie

PeeVee:

Ded

JoeB

I even learned something from the thread. Gorillas (may) fail the mirror recognition test. Only great ape that doesn’t clearly pass. The commenters stated it as fact, wiki says it’s unclear and may be about eye contact being an aggressive gesture in gorillas rather than them lacking the capacity.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite
Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

@Moggie
I’m hoping that the rest of the world helps destroy that little magic phrase of American right-wing conservatives. It’s not so easy to play pretend when the neighborhood gets involved XD

It’s pathetic that “fake news” is what they did when they discovered they we’re really reading lying propaganda from outside the US (and oblivious to fact that they are reading the same from inside the US).

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

Oh lordy, that Reddit AMA!!! I’ve only gotten partway down but OUCH. No mercy given 😀😀
Agree with PeeVee about the lisp mocking, however. Even tho it’s tempting bc Mike is such a flaming wreck of a person.

GrumpyOldSocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOldSocialJusticeMangina

@Mish: One of the difficult things about being a liberal is that you are morally obligated to try to avoid using low-hanging-fruit but unacceptable stereotypes like MC’s lisp. It’s not always easy to resist. Like shaming Trump for being overweight or (implicitly) for being inadequately hung (the “small hands” crapola). The fake tan seems to be to be fair game (because it’s a choice) and the bad hair is marginal (because the ridiculous combover is a choice even though the thinning hair isn’t).

My wife hates lima beans — she spent her childhood feeding them to a gap under the dinner table when her parents were distracted — but loves brussels sprouts roasted.

JoeB

I laughed about the Gorillas having small penises question but I feel a little bad. Though Weird Mike did choose Gorillas for his brand…

GrumpyOldSocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOldSocialJusticeMangina

And now I want to make a Very Serious Post.

It’s a small but good thing that the J20 defendants were acquitted. It’s a large and horrible thing that they were arrested and tried in the manner they were.

The government seems to be pushing the idea that anyone who attends a protest where violence occurs is subject to being charged with serious felonies and faces the possibility of decades in prison. If this principle were established, an unscrupulous government wanting to create a police state (anyone have questions about the Trump regime?) could hire thugs to commit violence at a peaceful demonstration and then prosecute any of the protesters they wish.
Also, in the case itself, the prosecution used one of the notorious James O’Keefe’s Project Veritas doctored videos to try to establish a premeditated plot; the prosecutor, in her summation, used what a police investigator would have testified to if the judge had not ruled that testimony inadmissable, and later, claimed that “reasonable doubt” was pretty much meaningless.
It seems clear that the trial judge would have thrown out any convictions that might have been returned by the jury, but that does not excuse the government’s behavior.

I will note that a number of posters here expressed some support for violent Antifa actions in the past. I have some sympathy for that point of view in the abstract, but people need to understand that such violence can be used by a government which would clearly like to establish a police state as a justification for incarcerating peaceful protesters who are merely at the scene of such violence.
Some people above have mentioned that they fear that the US experiment in Democracy is coming to an end. I share their fear. I think that there are a number of oligarchs who would like to establish a system similar to Putin’s Russian template and are willing to invest barrels of money in making it happen. (The entire Republican’t Party seems to be willing to — at the very least — maintain denial of the process.) I hope I am wrong about this, but I am mentally preparing for the idea that I might have to live out my last years in prison in a futile effort to oppose such an outcome. (Having served a prison term as a protester in the Vietnam era, I don’t enjoy the idea of being in prison but I don’t fear it.) I hope that events will prove that I’m hysterically overwrought about this, but people in Germany and Italy in the 1930s were probably also told that such fears were hysterically overwrought.

JoeB

We’re fine if it’s not a threat tho right? Like, “I hope O’Keefe slips and falls and somehow ends up dangling from a balcony by his ballsack.”

Don’t have morals. I have standards. Different thing. 😛

Shadowplay

Apparently, Cory Lewandowski got inappropriately handsy with Joy Villa (the MAGA dress singer).

Unusually for him, he didn’t use his fist.

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

@Grumpy

Thanks for this perspective. That’s the difficult thing about violent or even just palpably angry protests: it might pressure the government harder than a peaceful march, but it has equal chances of giving them ammunition to shut down all debate and opponents. All they need is a “are you siding with the terrorists?”* excuse.

*the “terrorists” in this case being antifa and all “guilty by association” liberals of any stripe, no matter how peaceful.

I feel that protests and marches work best when a) they’re huge enough to make the govt think twice about how much support they have and/or b) they act as a final tipping point.

To use an example close to home: Brexit. Absolute clusterfuck. I don’t want it, millions others don’t want it, but to the government its like we don’t exist. There have been marches in London, the one I was part of had 100-120 thousand attendees. But nothing came out of it. BBC barely acknowledged it happened, Daily Mail said “25 thousand sore losers try to fight democracy” and Vote Leave groups sent round a fake video that tried to claim we had “desecrated” the memorial of a fallen police officer. (The march took place a few days after the Westminster Bridge attack earlier this year).

There’s another march planned for next year and there have been other smaller ones around the country. But sweet fuck all is happening in response. Mainland Europeans ask “why don’t you guys do something more drastic?” but I’m honestly afraid that the dicToryship in the Cabinet will use it to silence pro Europeans once and for all and ram through an even worse form of Brexit. If May suddenly did something authoritarian in response to an uprising I don’t think anyone would be surprised. She still clings to the idea that “majority of British people” want what she wants. She, like Trump, live in a bubble of sycophants and will deliberately shut out anything that breaks the fantasy. It also doesn’t help that she is being pulled around by party extremists and media barons.

I’m honestly not sure what we can do at this point except perhaps wait for the strain of such an unplanned bullshit venture to all-but-collapse on its own and then provide the Ultimate (peaceful) Protest to act as the last straw.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@GrumpyOldSocialJusticeMangina

Lovely to hear from you as always 🙂

It’s so, so tempting sometimes! And I try to be aware of how easy it is to mock things about one person, when you’d overlook the same thing in another because you like them, ethically or politically speaking.
And then there’s the situation where it seems legit to mock, say, someone’s appearance, because that person has been complaining about “ugly feminists” or similar. Seen it done on Twitter countless times; often have moral dilemmas about it.

As to your other post about violence etc., and sunnysombrera’s excellent response, this is something I’m still wrestling with. Off to bed for now, but thanks both of you for the brain-food.

Kevin
Kevin

@Shadowplay

Re: Morals and standards. A bit too close to Lord Downey’s mindset for me to be entirely comfortable…

Happy Hogswatch everyone !

@Kevin

It’s a military saying. Had to look up Lord Downey’ – I’ve never read Pratchet. 😛

Moggie
Moggie

sunnysombrera:

I’ve taken part in peaceful protest marches since the 1980s, including the huge “stop the war” march in London in 2003, easily the largest political protest in mainland British history. I don’t think any of them achieved a damn thing.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

@GrumpyOldSocialJusticeMangina:

I share your fears. Wasn’t one of the reasons why protesting was often effective in the late 1960’s, was because the sheer numbers of protesters made it impossible for the powers-that-be to contain them all? I apologize if this is a naive or stupid question.

My late father witnessed a protest (I don’t remember what Dad said the protest was about) at the University of Connecticut in the late 1960s. I was a baby at the time. He said there was a rather small group of protesters, a small group of people who were enraged at the protesters, and a much larger group of observers just rubbernecking at the whole thing. Plus a media presence.

My father was delighted about the Occupy protests. He said that New Yorkers (he was one of them) simply don’t get to the streets to protest, as a rule, and it was a meaningful thing, for them to come out for the Occupy protest.

I’m relieved my father wasn’t alive to see the Cheeto elected.

Dimmy
Dimmy

@ Moggie, Dormousing, sunnysombrera, et. al.

Everyone seems to think that protests, by themselves, constitute effective activism. They don’t. They have to be combined with voter registration; with boycotts; with strikes; with campaigns for political office. Measures that will actually spook the people with money and power.

Protests that accomplish this — like the Civil Rights marches in the US, and Gandhi’s salt march in India — can succeed. Those that don’t — like the marches against the War on Terror, and the Vietnam War, and Brexit, and the Occupy X movements — will always fail. It’s as simple as that. We’re talking about THE PRIMAL FORCES OF NATURRRRRRRE (to borrow from Network ) so why on Earth would you think a few thousand “peasants” roaming the streets would turn those forces aside?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Anyone else starting to think that Dimmy is a troll pretending to be on the left in order to try and make progressives feel hopeless?

The whole only joining the conversation to condescendingly snipe at anyone who even comes close to expressing an optimistic or hopeful thought thing is starting to smell fishy.

Lea
Lea

I’ll eat brussel sprouts like candy.

I hated them as a kid. Then when way back when I was pregnant somebody offered me some and I tried them and loved them.

I like that funky sweetness when they carmelize a little on the outside. They’re good with an equally funky cheese or with butternut squash and maybe a little bacon.

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

WWTH,

There’s a few Eeyore posters I’ve been side-eyeing lately, lol.

kupo
kupo

Fuck off, Dimmy.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

I’ll go on that limb and agree (sorta) with @Dimmy. Protests are only so effective if people just go home after, thinking they’ve solved everything. Protests are a starting point tho. They’re a signal, a spark as it were (Just saw Ep VIII, no spoilers, I promise :D). I will disagree that the Vietnam and WoT protests did nothing. They just took a while. The next Presidents, in both cases, explicitly ran on ending the wars (and we no longer really have a draft due to Vietnam). That’s something. And we see, in Murica at least, that political power already manifesting (VA, AL, KS, GA, etc. Even the Dem losses showed pretty massive swings)

That said

Fuck off, Dimmy

Shadowplay

Tennesee has just opened it’s new legislature building. You can still carry guns in, but signs, both hand carried and on sticks, are a complete no-no.

So for those casting doubt on the relative effectiveness of peaceful protesting, you may want to think again.