open thread

Happy Thanksgiving and/or Thursday! Open Thread

Happy Thanksgiving, to everyone who celebrates it! And a very merry Thursday to everyone who doesn’t.

Because I haven’t provided a health update in a while (outside of the comments) I just wanted to reassure everyone that I am still here, and still trying to sort through a bunch of medical issues with the help of assorted doctors, some very competent and others not so much.

The issues I’m facing aren’t lifethreatening, but they are still debilitating enough to keep me from regular posting here. Sorry to be so vague; I’ll offer more details once some of these issues are sorted out a bit more. I’ll return to posting as soon as I am able but I cannot predict when that will be.

I appreciate everyone’s patience and continued support. Thanks!

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite
Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

I’ve known that I have self-worth issues. Fixing that in language is complicated. It makes social speaking difficult. I wonder if the cognitive effect of posting in an open public place is a useful thing to think about.

Nothing is Permanent But Woe
Nothing is Permanent But Woe

@epitome

If you like a bit of urban climbing then you might find this interesting:

Also, quite an interesting book is ‘The Wild Trees’ by Richard Preston, about climbing the outsides and insides of redwoods.

John Smith

Great post and more unique blog

Makroth - cowboy Jacobin from Hell
Makroth - cowboy Jacobin from Hell

Can we get the spammer banned?

mrex
mrex

Speaker at Moore event says he “accidentally” went with Moore to a brothel with child prostitutes.

“Accidentally”? *wink wink nudge nudge smiiiiiiiiirk*

I would like to say a big “fuck you” to my 2016 self, who thought that 2016 was the worst year in politics ever.

Shadowplay

Just gonna lay this out:

Merriam-Webster picks ‘feminism’ as word of the year

Lookups of the word have also been increasing recently as more women have come forward to allege sexual misconduct against multiple public figures.

Katamount (formerly Gussie Jives)
Katamount (formerly Gussie Jives)

@Nothing is Permanent But Woe

I’m not an urban explorer myself, but being the huge history nerd that I was, back when I was in university, I found myself captivated by the work of the late, great Ninjalicious, a Toronto-based urban explorer whose zine and website catalogued his exploits in exploring old abandoned Toronto locations, such as the unused Lower Bay subway station (often used as subway set in films shot in Toronto) or the old Canada Malt Plant, a towering set of crumbling concrete silos on Toronto’s Waterfront.

Give a read to Ninjalicious’ tale of exploring the Toronto subway tunnels. Not only is he a daring explorer, but he’s a captivating writer too: http://infiltration.org/transit-subway.html

I myself would finally see Lower Bay when it was opened to the public for Doors Open 2013. I gotta wonder if Ninja paved the way for some of these old sites to be opened to the public….

You wanna get ol’ Katamount a Christmas present? The back issues of Infiltration would make him a very happy kitty. 😀

mrex
mrex

Hmmmmm, just reread the end of the last thread concerning Moore, and it looks like with the Thanksgiving and holiday rush I blanked out on this;

@kupo
“What do you mean by this? I’m trying to parse it and having difficulty determining what you mean.”

“I don’t worry about whether or not they “have the equipment”

I had edited out a whole paragraph RE: “jail bait” that said that men who treat girls whom have boobs and periods as “adults” are treating them the same way that we treat cars. When we determine whether or not a car is “ready” to drive, we only worry about whether all the car’s equipment is there and working, and whether we “own” or have “permission” to drive it. We don’t consider what impact that driving will physically have on the car, and we certainly don’t consider whether driving the car will effect it emotionally. A car’s purpose is to be driven, so we mentally check off a. Equipment and b. Permission, hop in, and drive away.

When I originally wrote the paragraph it basically sounded like I was resaying what WWTH said in a splainy way, but with a second reading, the rest of what I said doesn’t make total sense without it. Basically what I said is that I can understand misreading someone’s age, but anyone that tries to initiate sexual contact with someone that’s not emotionally mature/the same emotional maturity as they are, is a ducking abusive creep. The excuses that these men give; “well, she looked older”, “well, I had permission from her parents”, “well, she’s technically legal”, show how these men actually view women as machines (like cars), instead of humans.

These men don’t have to wait for sex dolls, to them they’re already here.

Katamount (formerly Gussie Jives)
Katamount (formerly Gussie Jives)

Oh yeah, and President Dumbstupid said Dumbstupid things of the misogynistic variety towards a New York Senator. 2 guesses which one.

Shadowplay

Shirtless guy who protested the Charlotte police last year … now oversees them.

Activism level: Godlike.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Anyone seen any funny reactions to the word of the year pick yet? I checked the red pill subreddit and didn’t see anything on it and that was enough manosphere perusal for me for the time being.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@Shadowplay What an amazing story!

@Fishy Goat – Yeah. Still smiling over it. That’s how you do shit! 😀

@wwth – not seen anything as yet from redpillers or MRArseholes. Not bothered looking at the incel lot though – my spoons on going there seem to turn into knives.

Shadowplay

Now we got a chef getting in on the sexual harrassment act:

Mario Batali steps away from restaurant empire following sexual misconduct allegations

The fuck?

mrex
mrex

Entered my email wrong, and now this is caught up in some kind of filter;

From fing Fox News;

Anti-gay supporters rally for Moore, worrying LGBT community.

“Flanked by a huge sign for Moore’s Senate campaign, one supporter railed against the “LGBT mafia” and “homosexualist gay terrorism.” Another warned that “homosexual sodomy” destroys those who participate in it and the nations that allow it. And still another described same-sex marriage as “a mirage” because “it’s phony and fake.”

Ok, who told him about the gay mafia? Damn it people!

It should be noted that if you read the article what he actually said was;

“Rabbi Noson Leiter, who once called Hurricane Sandy’s destruction “divine justice” for same-sex marriage, lashed out at “homosexualist gay terrorism.”

“We need Judge Moore to stand up to the LGBT transgender mafia,” Leiter said. He added, “We need someone with a proven record of facing off against the gay terrorists.”

It’s LGBT transgender mafia, get it right!

A little less dramatic, but not to be outdone, is Moore himself.

“Moore first caught the attention of many in the LGBT community after describing homosexual conduct as “an inherent evil against which children must be protected” in a 2002 child custody case involving a lesbian mother. In a 2005 television interview, Moore said “homosexual conduct should be illegal.” He also said there’s no difference between gay sex and sex with a cow, horse or dog.”

“Earlier this month, Moore said, “The transgenders don’t have rights,” during a news conference, according to the Montgomery Advertiser.”

What a fucking PEACH.

But wait, there’s more!

Newspaper apologizes for calling Moore supporters “homophobic”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*gasp*HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAJAJAJAJAJANAJAJAJAAJAJAAJAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHABABABABABBAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA!

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

This breakdown of cultural appropriation and racial stereeotyping

The comments (why, oh, why don’t I skip the comments…???) lead off with a Clueless White Person whining about how everyone’s so sensitive about, well, about every fucking thing about white portrayal of people of color….

If everything the broflakes know and love is THAT obviously problematic, what does that say about white American culture? They cry endlessly about those who cannot “take a joke”… yet, it seems, white Americans seem unable to make a joke that’s NOT AT SOMEOTHER GROUP’S EXPENSE!?!?!

Moggie
Moggie

Why Melania, Ivanka and Jared’s mayoral election votes didn’t count

There’s some amusement to be had there about how useless this family is at doing even simple things, but the most interesting detail is this: Donald Trump got his own birthday wrong on the form. Who forgets their own birthday? I hesitate to medicalise this, but if an elderly member of my family made that kind of mistake, I’d be concerned.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

Newspaper apologizes for calling Moore supporters “homophobic”

… what…. “I’m sorry you’re homophobic”…???

Shadowplay

Tomi Lahren’s been flapping her gums over Roy Moore.

Before clicking, have a guess. Did she:

a/ Rip Moore a new one,
b/ Deny everything,
c/ Emerge from her skinsuit briefly to reveal her true form,
d/ Claim the victims are probably lying.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

There was a Will & Grace episode about the gay mafia. It was led by Elton John. Either it’s an old myth in homophobic circles, or they saw the episode in reruns and thought it was a documentary.

Moggie
Moggie

What is “homosexualist gay terrorism”, anyway? Usually, terrorism involves bombs or guns, but I suspect the gay version involves cakes. Terrifying.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Moggie

Who forgets their own birthday?

Me, for one.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

Here’s an old Salon piece by Arthur Chu, who postulates an interesting bit of reflection the “[name your]-phobes” could consider….: Particularly the “don’t call MEEEEE a homophobe” in the above cited Alabama newspaper….

stand up for your free speech because you think your offensive jokes and comments are no big deal, fine, but don’t complain when you end up disgusted by who you find yourself standing next to.

Me, for one.

Salud 🙂

Same, for the year at least. Always have to look it up.

Tovius
Tovius

@Dali @Shadowplay
Sometimes I forget how old I am and have to calculate it from my birth year.

epitome of incomprehensibility

LGBT transgender mafia

That’s like saying “ATM machine” or “PIN number” but with something crime-related at the end. New imaginary band name: PIN Number Killers.

homosexualist gay terrorism

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad, Homosexualist Gay Terrorism.

@Nothing is Permanent – cool, thanks! The name “Whipplesnaith” made me smile, not to mention the photo exhibit with the climbing walls.

Edited to add: I’ve written today’s date in the place of my birth date on forms before. Twice, I think. At least I wasn’t born yesterday, right? 🙂

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Agent of the FemiNest Collective; Keeper of a Hell Toupee, and all-around Intergalactic Meanie

@Valentin,

Maybe the body was dressed in the local ‘young woman’ fashions? Or maybe there was some sort of ID on her (school ID maybe?). Or maybe everyone just made ASSumptions about the body they found?

Regardless, that story does make a good basis for a horror story. Teens go into forbidden tunnels to party, things get out of hand, one girl is assaulted and runs away into the tunnels, her ‘friends’ choose not to go after her or tell anyone what happened, she dies alone and lost. Years later, her vengeful ghost goes after her former classmates to punish them for their crimes against her….

As to the onion discussion, be warned that onion allergies do exist, and that they can be as bad in their was as peanut allergies. There was a lady I waited on in McDonalds once whose onion allergy was so bad she had to request the folks assembling her sandwich change their gloves before making hers because even the residue from another sandwich could land her in the hospital for hours.

kupo
kupo

Re: onion allergies
I feel terrible for people with them and even worse for those allergic to alliums in general (onion, garlic, leeks, etc). They’re in everything.

Haise, the husky puppy
Haise, the husky puppy

@mrex

This is a headline. This. How many more times does my stomach have to be sick reading this shit? Is this even real anymore?? Fuck. I hate this..

The bar is so low that to be a ‘very honorable’, a ‘very disciplined’ man like Moore, you must refuse child prostitutes in Vietnam.

Ooglyboggles

The Alabama Senate Race is currently underway. In a matter of hours we’ll see if Alabama voters have the integrity to not vote for a pedophile.

Shadowplay

It looks like they don’t. 🙁

Moore is ahead 50:48 with 16% precincts reporting.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Mostly rural, white precincts. Montgomery and Mobile are barely reporting. Not getting too excited, but it’s looking kinda close

PeeVee the (Tired of the Militant Plasticfaced) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Tired of the Militant Plasticfaced) Sarcastic

I’m not going to watch or read about the returns on the AL race. If I learned anything about the 2016 election, it’s that people are fucking awful, and too many like to revel in reminding others of that pain, especially if their candidate is ahead.

So I guess I’ll just get off of the net (or at least sites that are talking about the returns) until tomorrow.

tim gueguen

Apparently only 25 percent of eligible voters were expected to vote. 25 percent. Now, whatever happens, watch a large percentage of those who didn’t vote without good reason whine about the results.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Grown men preying on teenage girls is one of my major rage points along with animal abuse and picking on disabled people. I mean, lots of other issues are important to me, but those are the things that send me into Hulk smash mode.

What I’m trying to say is that I am also avoiding the results for a couple of more hours and I’m fortifying myself with wine because I’m not expecting a good outcome.

Hope is a lie.
comment image

PeeVee the (Tired of the Militant Plasticfaced) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Tired of the Militant Plasticfaced) Sarcastic

Tim, turnout has been over 50%, and is expected to reach 1 million votes.

Far higher than they anticipated.

And, I am now actually going to leave WHTM for now.

holy holy sholy

JONES IS CURRENTLY AHEAD AND THE VOTE IS NEAR DONE

9000. Vote. Lead.

HOPE IS REAL
comment image

Ooglyboggles

Doug Jones. Won the election.

HA. HA. HA. HA HA. HA HA HA. HA HAHAHAHAH A
FUCK YOU STEVE BANNON

FUCK YOU SEAN HANNITY

FUCK YOU DONALD TRUMP

FUCK YOU ROY MOORE

SUCK ALL OF THE DIRTS

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Jones! Jones! Jones! Jones! Jones! Jones!

PeeVee the (Tired of the Militant Plasticfaced) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Tired of the Militant Plasticfaced) Sarcastic

HE WON!!! HE FUCKING WON!!! I AM CRYING RIGHT NOW!!! FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

FUCK YOU ROY MOORE

And the horse you rode in on.

(Not really…Sassy deserves a nice long vacation)

He did it! He did it! Doug Jones won! WOOOOO HOO!!

For the first time in a long time, I feel a small sliver of hope. This was a huge, huge victory, both morally and politically. One less stain on America’s national soul.

Ooglyboggles

Someone pls edit to to reflect the election. Left Jones, Right Moore, and votes as the deathblow.

comment imagev

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

Whoo hoo Alabama!!!!!!
It feels odd to be so invested in this on one level, but it’s so much more than a regular state election.
Omigosh what’s Trump going to say??????????????

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

Yaaaaay!

Also, ninjaed by pretty much everyone.

Doug Jones’s win just vastly improved Democrats’ chances of retaking the Senate in 2018

The upset in Alabama gives the party a plausible path to a takeover for the first time.

Omigosh what’s Trump going to say??????????????

Mish, what an excellent question!

He’s certain to (as two former colleagues of mine would put it) “go bashitska.” In private only? On Twitter? On TV? Ha, ha, can’t wait to find out.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

WIINNNEEEERRRRR!!!!!!
Special shout out to black women, ONCE AGAIN, riding in to do the hard work of defending the republic like
comment image

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Best paragraph in the Guardian article about it

Bannon and his allies have been planning a series of primary challenges against establishment Republicans in 2018. Moore’s defeat significantly reduces their leverage as the joint efforts of Bannon and his website Breitbart could not elect their preferred candidate in a state that Donald Trump won in a landslide in 2016.

comment image

comment image

It’s beautiful.comment image

abars01
abars01

Welp, guess I shouldn’t have gloated so hard before. Perhaps the US isn’t too far gone.