announcements

I’m still here! Thanks for your support, and your patience

What this year has felt like for me (artist’s conception)

It’s been a while.

I’ve been taking time off from the blog for as I try to deal with an assortment of health issues that have been hitting me especially hard in recent weeks. This year has been a tough one for me, health-wise, as I’ve continued to deal with seemingly unending chronic migraines as well as worsening sleep problems that have seriously derailed my life and my work.

Progress in dealing with these issues — and several others I’d rather not go into right now — has been frustratingly slow, in part because my particular problems have proven rather resistant to treatment and in part because, well, let’s just say our healthcare system here in the US isn’t what you’d call perfect.

But things have been getting a little better in recent days and I’m hoping I can get back to regular posting shortly.

Thanks for your patience. I very much appreciate your support.

— David

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

@Numerobis

‘Dormouse’ has been my spouse’s nickname for me for decades now. I suppose it’s due to my small stature, and the fact that I’m a night person who struggles to get up for a workday beginning at 8:30 AM.

I guess it’s preferable to ‘Space Chipmunk’. When I was a teenager in the 80s, I was attempting to scrounge up some booze for my younger sister and her friends, trying to convince some over-21 buddies into making straw purchases of alcohol, and one girl happened to mention that I drove like a chipmunk on acid. Thanks, dumbass! I did pull through eventually, and I was the hero of the day:)

@PreuxFox

I’ve been studiously ignoring Sassy for a few days now.

Leftwingfox
Leftwingfox

Hope you feel better soon.

It’s been a rough summer here. Struggling with anxiety and depression through the spring, laid off end of June, found a new job around the second week of September, and just finished moving to Vancouver to start it tomorrow.

On the plus side, the shake-up seems to have dispelled my depression, at least temporarily.

Unfortunately, my cats are with my folks right now and have been stressing out. Hope they’ll be ok to join me at our new apartment next week.

Moggie
Moggie

Dormousing_it:

I’ve been studiously ignoring Sassy for a few days now.

Since I was reading the comments from latest to earliest, I thought for a moment you were referring to Sassy Trump, and I sympathised.

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

((David))

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope you take as much rest as you need to get better. Take care of yourself. We need your voice. I love your focus on exposing the garbage spewed by MRAs/MGTOWs in a thorough and hilarious fashion.

Sending positive vibes your way.

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi

I hope things resolve quickly for you David, managing chronic conditions is awful, and mine doesn’t even cause me significant pain… It sucks having to battle with the health system while feeling crap.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Quick question out of frustration: Why the fuck do printers never work? We’re on our third printer and I don’t think we’ve ever managed to print a single legible page of anything. Our first printer turned out to be not compatible with any ink cartridge sold anywhere in the world. Other than that, I always get just a blank page every time I try to print a normal page of black text on white background. And if I ever do get anything other than a blank page, it’s always barely visible text, white lines or bars running through all images and text. Fuck this, I’m going back to hand written everything.

tim gueguen

Beware. Canada’s New Democratic Party just chose Jagmeet Singh as its new leader, the first time a visible minority Canadian has led a major Canadian political party. But since he’s Sikh you can expect some clueless yahoos will be claiming Canada is about to be taken over by Sharia law.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Weird Eddie

ninja’d by Kat 10 hours ago…

Been there, done that.

Besides, the story about the creator of Hamilton saying that Trump is going straight to hell for ignoring the plight of Puerto Rico — a commonsense kind of theology — bears repeating.

@Ooglyboggles

Yesterday I had my second appointment with the lgbt therapist. Being able to talk to someone about my issues in to someone in person is so cathartic.

Yay for positive news!

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

Now is definitely the time to have a philosophical discussion with a Puerto Rican public official: What is life? What is death? It’s also the time to have a political discussion: What is the Popular Democratic Party of Puerto Rico?

Defending Trump, Geraldo Rivera debates the meaning of ‘dying’ with San Juan’s mayor

As in her past remarks, Cruz praised the federal government’s intentions, while criticizing its performance.

“Common sense has to prevail,” she said.

Rivera nodded.

“Are people dying?” he asked. “I’ve been traveling around. I don’t see people dying.”

“Well, dying is a continuum, right?” Cruz said. “If you don’t get fed for seven to eight days and you’re a child, you are dying. If you have 11 people like they took out of a nursing home, you are dying.”

“Don’t you wish you had characterized that a little more?” Rivera asked, but the mayor cut him off.

Since she first criticized Trump’s government on Friday, the president has called Cruz a weak leader and complained of “politically motivated ingrates” on the island. The mayor has mocked the president’s ire, but otherwise argued that politics have no role in the relief effort.

“I don’t have to characterize anything in any way that’s not reality,” she told Rivera. “He who has eyes will be able to see it. He who has an open heart will be able to feel it.”

Next question: “How much of that is politics, the fact that you and the president are different parties?” Rivera asked. And she corrected him.

Trump had accused Cruz of being controlled by the Democratic Party, and Rivera had erroneously said she belonged to it.

In fact, as The Post reported, the island’s party system is different from the mainland United States. Republicans and Democrats have little bearing on Puerto Rican politics. While Cruz has been friendly with some mainland Democrats, her Popular Democratic Party is defined largely by its stance in Puerto Rico’s independence from the United States.

“I’m not a member of the Democratic Party,” she told Rivera, who did not ask another question in the clip.

“I could find no one dying,” the host summarized after the segment, the second half of which will air on Fox on Sunday night.

Still intent on forging a truce between the mayor and the president, Rivera chided Trump for tweeting about Cruz and ingrates and such.

“Unnecessary,” he said.

But that mayor. “She’s very partisan,” Rivera said. “I think she has a loathing for Donald Trump.”

If she didn’t loathe him before, she does now!

Bananananana dakry: Short-Haired, Fat, and Deranged
Bananananana dakry: Short-Haired, Fat, and Deranged

Anybody with a sense of morality and empathy loathes Donald Trump, you putz. (IRT Geraldo Riviera)

kupo
kupo

@Petal
Does your printer have a cleaning cycle you can run? That can help.

There are a couple of reasons printers do this: less frequent use, which is common in home printers, causes the ink to dry, which can clog the head, and if your cats like to sleep on it the hair and skin cells can clog it up.

The other reason is, of course, cheaply made crap designed to maximize cost at the expense of reliability.

Might be better off going to a print shop.

PaganReader - Misandrist Spinster

Random question, but if an anthropomorphic lioness was a hijabi, what would she do with her tail? It’s for a drawing.

MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)
MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)

Kupo-

What is it with cats and printers? Our cat likes to sleep on our printer all the time. 😄

Hu's On First
Hu's On First

The terrible Tumblr troll known as “cantfightnature” has hit a new low:

When you’re feeling better, maybe you should do a post about him.

kupo
kupo

@MissEB47
I don’t know, but I select my printers now based on whether cats will fit on them, and, if they can, whether there’s a way for the hair to get inside.

Acadia
Acadia

I don’t know. What’s she doing with the rest of her body? I can see the tail trailing over the woman’s shoulder or maybe wrapped with the lower body around the woman’s neck.

Jules
Jules

@Pagan: Well, the usual tradition is a head covering, not a “any hair, anywhere” covering, so I’m gonna say probably nothing.

I’m so stressed out. I can’t keep current with my class work to save my life and it’s eating up my sleep which makes it harder to work which makes it harder to sleep which makes me despair of doing anything else important (like, really important deadline things) besides trying not to drown in my work and anxiety. And the grad student counselor’s been…of the expected level of help, which is to say, almost no help whatsoever. I resent the fact that I’m going to waste an hour in her office not getting any immediate help (plus another half hour getting my stuff, walking, and settling in at the library) rather than trying to work on my projects. /rant

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@PaganReader
Whatever any other anthropomorphic lion does with it. A hijab is a head garment and unrelated to the lower body.
I suppose that pants would probably have a hole for it, as would closer fitted skirts, robes or dresses. Looser ones wouldn’t need one.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@tim gueguen Someone already did. 😛

@Dave Best wishes and healing for you! Take all the time you need. <3

Nothing is Permanent But Woe
Nothing is Permanent But Woe

Glad to see you back, David. Take it easy though!

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@kupo

I have no clue about the cleaning cycle. Maybe I should try to look into it. It’s definitely not dried ink. The printer is placed in a high up spot where cats normally understand they shouldn’t be able to reach it. Even if it were har and dust, I still doubt it would print entirely blank pages. 🙁

Sheila Crosby

@Jules I sympathise. I’ve usually been good with academic stuff, but at the moment I’m really struggling with a short online course in accounting for small businesses. I really need it for my tiny, tiny publishing house to make sure I stay legal, but it’s so amazingly boring that my brain freezes at the sight of it. Plus it’s in Spanish so I have to learn all the specialist vocabulary instead of about half of it. (And what the hell is passive about debts? I really don’t think the tax office will be passive if I don’t pay up!) And I only have to keep going for 9 weeks. All I can suggest is that you remember self care, and I think you knew that.

@Pagan I think you could plausibly say that it depends on local custom. Someone once told me that Turkish girls nearly always have a little hair peeping out of the hijab, which is considered “fast” in other countries. So it seems quite plausible to me that some hijab-wearing lionesses would cover their tails and some wouldn’t, but I suspect tails would be considered sexy.
She could also tuck her tail down one leg of her harem pants.
Does she need to hunt in that hijab? Or does she have an office job?

Tashilicious
Tashilicious

Mass shooting situation in Las Vegas. Gunman opened fire with a fully automatic weapon with at least 60 odd rounds per drum/mag, into a crowded plaza.

Hundred plus injured, twenty dead at last count. I don’t know if we have any vegas members, but stay safe.

Tashilicious
Tashilicious

This has now changed to be over 50 dead, 200 wounded.

Deadliest mass shooting in US history. The last time that record was broken was almost exactly a year ago.

Moggie
Moggie

Has anyone said “now is not the right time to talk about gun control” yet?

Tashilicious
Tashilicious

Well Trump has said “God bless them” to the victims so I guess we’re on point.

numerobis
numerobis

Imaginary Peta: I recommend getting a laser printer for your next one. Slightly more expensive, but far more reliable. Especially for black and white printing.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

@ Tashilicious

Well Trump has said “God bless them” to the victims so I guess we’re on point.

that mostly just means he thinks they’re all white…

Ellesar
Ellesar

Turkish girls nearly always have a little hair peeping out of the hijab

In Iran this is very common – I think it is because it is law to wear it from 9yo so it is a tiny rebellion.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

RE: Las Vegas shooting

Here we go again. What will it take for Americans to FINALLY put some sensible gun control measures in place? I’m pushing 50 years old now, and I’m not feeling particularly positive about it happening in my lifetime.

Austin Loomis

Dormousing_it asks:

Over on Esquire‘s politics blog, Brother Charles Pierce has a brutal but (IMO) all-too-reasonable answer to that.

If Newtown wasn’t enough, how can Las Vegas be enough? And if Las Vegas isn’t enough, how can anything be enough?

(If I quoted everything good in the article, I’d end up just quoting the article.)

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

IP: For over 20 years we’ve been using HP Laserjet 4 printers. It’s ancient technology, of course, and no longer being manufactured, but it’s a workhorse, and you can get a refurbished unit on eBay (and probably other places) at a reasonable price. Big and clunky-looking, but it works.

My wife used to work for Digital Equipment Co. and was given a company printer for use at home — which turned out to be an HP 4 with a DEC label pasted on. When that one went off to the happy printing ground, we got another on eBay and it has been chugging along ever since.

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Agent of the FemiNest Collective; Keeper of a Hell Toupee, and all-around Intergalactic Meanie

@Dormousing_it,

I’ve said it before here, and I’ll say it again. The national political class will ‘do something’ about gun violence when – and only when – a mass shooter targets THEM and THEIR families en mass. At which point they’ll wail and gnash their teeth and want to know why no-one ever told them that gun violence was a problem in the US before now….

Or else when a significant chunk of Black men start applying for legal conceal and carry gun permits. Whichever comes first.

mrex
mrex

@David

Since you were taking suggestions for migraines in a past thread; have you ever tried any of those apps that are out for pain relief? Even if they don’t fix the underlying problem, they are relaxing to listen to, and they do seem to offer some placebo effect, and if anything they can’t hurt.

The one I used is from Surf City Apps. The free version is a basic hypnosis app, and if you buy the pro version (think it’s only a few dollars) you can do things like stop the app from waking you up at the end so you’ll drift off to sleep. (I’ve just been using the free version, so I haven’t personally tried that out.)

Apologies if you’ve already tried this, or if someone else has already suggested it. I hope your migraines work out. Those things just make everything worse.