trump twitter

AntiFa ate my baby: Today in Tweets

Damn those AntiFa!

By David Futrelle

Seems like only yesterday that everyone to the left of Donald Trump was mad at the Nazis. Now for some reasons a lot of these same people are yelling about AntiFa. Nancy Pelosi has officially denounced AntiFa, and a piece in the generally liberalish Washington Post today declared that AntiFa are the “moral equivalent” of the literal Nazis they oppose.

Now I’m not exactly the most militant dude in the world but WHAT IN HOLY CRAP IS GOING ON. We are up against LITERAL NAZIS. One of them LITERALLY MURDERED A WOMAN with a car, and then the rest of them LAUGHED ABOUT IT and SAID IT WAS JUSTIFIED. They go to every so-called “free speech” rally they organize with the intent of doing bodily harm to as many people as possible. and unless we stop them it’s only a matter of time before they kill more people. So fuck this shit. Hug an AntiFa today.

On to the tweets. First, the dumb shit.

Now, some rebuttals. First, a good short thread on how the discussion has shifted from ACTUAL FUCKING NAZIS to endless hand-wringing about antifas.

And here’s a response to the Washington Post thing by a Mother Jones journalist who was there at Berkeley.

Some historical perspective:

More AntiFa stuff:

I defended the honor of George Orwell against an Alex Jones employee.

Snopes also has a thing to say about the attempts to portray the fascists and AntiFa as somehow equivalent:

AntiFa may have dealt with a lot of undeserved shit today, but happily our dear leader Donald Trump was also dealing with some richly deserved shit.

Meanwhile, the creator of Pepe is taking the Pepe Nazis to court and winning:

And here are some animals!

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

How anyone can take Trump’s duplictious words seriously and defend him is beyond me.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

The Democratic party will just never learn, will it? They’re not going to increase voter turnout among young people and convince dissatisfied Americans that they’re the alternative that’ll turn shit around if they’re out there denouncing the resistance toTrump.

I just…

Just when it finally seemed like the Dems were starting to get it and were actually standing up to Trump, one of the party’s leaders just had to revert to wimpy milquetoast form.

D
D

A relevant (and, I think, very reasonable) Twitter thread I just came across:

“If you reflexively oppose antifa today, you probably would have opposed the lunch counter sit-ins in 1960.”

Dan Kasteray
Dan Kasteray

The problem with the whole Antifa thing is that it’s hard fighting Nazis and battling oppression. It’s easy to say both sides do it and be fine.

Say what you will about fighting hate with love, but at least Sailor Moon and her friends actually put their lives on the line to stop evil

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Dammit, Nancy! How do you fuck up ‘nazis like the other guy’? Why is this hard? Fuckin white people…

Michael Brew
Michael Brew

If love could blow people the hell up like it does in Mahou Shoujo, it’d probably be a lot more effective.

MexicanHotChocolate
MexicanHotChocolate

In conflicts involving Nazis, the other side would have to be ISIS before you could say both sides are equally bad.

bluecat
bluecat

March in favour of genocide, racism and oppression, waving flags of an ideology that would happily have butchered half the country and enslaved the other half; march armed; commit an act of terrorism that leaves one dead and 19 injured… but the people to condemn are those standing there and saying “You shouldn’t be doing that”.

Ohhhkay.

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa

Er… are antifa advocating genocide? I haven’t heard that.

Without that element it’s pretty hard to make any “they’re just as bad” accusation stick.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@D,

That is indeed a good thread – thanks for posting. This one is also excellent.

Slightly OT whinge: in some otherwise great defences of antifa, I’ve seen ppl arguing “America has a fine tradition of Nazi-punching” followed by either a Cap America meme or “we saved the world from Hitler” type assertion.
Obv not as important as the main issue here, but it annoys me. The US didn’t enter WWII because of a burning desire to fight Nazism and injustice. And Cap was not the original Nazi puncher.
Ahem. All done now.

JS
JS

The “March Armed” bit is what gets me the most about CVille. Even if the “armed militia” wasn’t officially part of the “march”, it should have stayed home.

To me, “right to peaceful assembly” should never include “carry assault weapon-style firearms”.

kupo
kupo

@Mish
The meme that says, “you can’t be a patriotic American and a Nazi; we literally had a war about this” bothers me so much. I just want to scream at those people about how we never got involved until Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. Do they seriously not know even a little history?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Never forget

comment image

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Michael Brew
Wouldn’t that be a grand thing?

Washington Post, democrats in power in general, just why? Why do you see the literal nazis, and think “maybe we should take the middle road. We remember the old days of bipartisanship, maybe if we condemn both side we’ll get all the peoples and finally go back to a bipartisan political culture”? Homo sapiens y do dis?

@Dan Kasteray
At least Sailor Moon at least tried basic compassion and was smart enough to know that defending people from harm was more important than maintain some parody of “moral purity”

@weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
When we have literal nazis on the loose and a president who endorses them, the dems still fail on getting people to their side. Do they like losing?

Still Fiqah
Still Fiqah

Echoing (kind of) @Dan Kasteray and @Michael Brew, the idea of fighting hate with “love” just burns my biscuits. I’ve said before that “fighting hate with love” makes about as much sense as fighting fire with salad dressing. So, until the day fire hydrants are stocked with buttermilk ranch, let’s fight hate with legislation.

SpukiKitty
SpukiKitty

Somebody needs to educate Nancy Pelosi. WHAT T’HELL, GIRL?!

As for Matt Furie: That’s how you take Pepe back! Now he needs to sue anyone who uses his frog to spread hate rather than love!

I’d love to see Pepe reclaimed and turned into an icon of the LEFT! He’s a peacenik stoner frog! He’s pure “Hippie” material! IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES! He’s a funky psychedelic LOVE FROGGIE!

FUCK, YEAH; HE SHOULD BE RECLAIMED!

MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)
MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)

The Antifa is just as bad as Nazi’s thing reminds me of what abusers and their enablers do to remove accountability from themselves and to invalidate their victim’s experiences. The whole ‘it takes two to tango’ crap. It also stinks of projection. Is anyone else getting that impression?

bluecat
bluecat

@ MissEB47

From some of them, certainly.

Having said that, it’s taken Pelosi how many days to panic?

Violet the Vile, Wielder of an Ideologically Weaponized Vagina
Violet the Vile, Wielder of an Ideologically Weaponized Vagina

So are we all meant to just politely watch the Nazis as they commit murder and advocate genocide? Maybe write a few sternly worded letters? Or what?

I do agree, in principle, that violence is not the answer. At all. Ever. But what do you do, when you are dealing with people who literally want to kill you and won’t get round a table about it because they aren’t interested in logic?

I’m not going to punch a Nazi first, but if one punches me I am damn well hitting back.

Knitting Cat Lady
Knitting Cat Lady

Gah.

There was the G20 summit in Hamburg in July this year.

Things got out of hand. To put it very mildly.

People immediately started blaming the left. And AntiFa. Of course.

The thing is this. The black bloc is where those on the left with a liking for violence and rioting go. I liken them to football hooligans. Which are a bit of a problem where I live. (They’re usually called ultras)

I tend to watch out for them and stay the hell away from them when on a protest march.

But they are a very small part of the left. And mostly stick to property damage. The last I checked they still didn’t call for genocide.

And AntiFa does occasionally overlap with the black bloc.

The vast majority of the far-left is non-violent.

The far-right is all violent.

The far-left is fighting for equality and against genocide.

Propagating inequality and genocide is the whole raison d’etre of the far-right.

Even if the whole left would take up the methods of the black bloc, they still wouldn’t be ‘just as bad’ as the fucking NAZIS!

Nancy Pelosi, go fuck yourself!

galanx
galanx

The old Time Man/Woman of the Year went to the most influential newsmaker, not the one Time approved of. Hitler was it once; Stalin twice. It was not till they put the Ayatollah Khomenei on the front in 1979 and saw a serious decrease in newsstand sales that they decided to not put on anyone, no matter how newsworthy, that the American public didn’t have warm fuzzy feelings for. That was why they chose Giuliani over Osama bin Laden after 9/11, and Bush the Elder over Saddam Hussein after Saddam’s invasion of Kuwait (but before Bush took it back the next year).

MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)
MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)

Bluecat-“From others it seems like a knee-jerk “yikes, they might make me look baaaad! Fox News criticised us!” panic reaction.”

That’s true, as well. Bigots can not take any criticism and don’t like being called out on their bigotry, hence this reaction. Which is why calling a racist ‘racist’ is the most hurtful thing ever!! It’s ridiculous! Why don’t they just not be bigots if they don’t like being called out on their behaviour? If they weren’t bigots, there wouldn’t be bigotry to call them out on.

Alan Robertshaw

The Crying Nazi is having another whinge.

Warning: Any Trans peeps or Jewish folk who read this are going to want to punch him (Jewish trans people will probably need to punch him twice).

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Alan
I don’t actually want to punch him any more than I already did.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

Same here. Plus, I think physic laws prevent me from punching him enough time to sate my desire.

@ Dalillama & Ohlmann

Yeah, if anyone asks me I can honestly say: “That article did not make me want to punch him.”

(Put a little bit about punching on the Discord thing you kindly set up)

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi

I gotta admit, the original antifa stuff wasn’t really my scene and there really was a property damage, street fighting reputation that wasn’t entirely unearned. Hence, I would never declare myself antifa, but I AM ANTI-FASCIST and pro-democracy. I have dedicated my entire career to being pro-democracy, so there is that…

For now, I will continue to encourage peaceful, non-violent protest and working within the system, so long as the system is somewhat functional.

I’m not a pacifist. There is a time and a place. I hope we’re not there yet.

@ Dalillama & Ohlmann

(Put a little bit about punching on the Discord thing you kindly set up)

@ Dalillama & Ohlmann

(Put a little bit about punching on the Discord thing you kindly set up)

nparker
nparker

@ Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

Oh God, that kind of ‘Murica won the war!’ stuff always really pisses me off. No, America did not win the war, America was barely in it.

A lot of it is people assuming Hollywood is real life. Its downright insulting to all the other countries, such as my native Britain (which, of course, stood up against the full force of the Blitz), that so many Americans like to pontificate about how they won the war, when it was a team effort. A lot of people need to start realising that America is not unique.

A. Noyd
A. Noyd

MissEB47 says:

Well, the current crop of Nazis are advocating for a lot of things the government hasn’t stopped actually carrying out since before the US was even a country, sooooo…

TheKND
TheKND

@Alan
Even if we combine all protein on the planet, we couldn’t make a fist big enough to give him the punch he deserves.

@ nparker

America might have been late for the first two World Wars, but it does appear to be trying to make up for that in relation to the third one.

@ theKND

Even if we combine all protein on the planet

Ooh, that’s the sort of thing that really gets you thinking. Anyone know what is the total biomass on Earth? And what’s that as a percentage of the overall mass of the planet? I seem to recall some bit of trivia about most of the biomass is subsurface.

Nanny Oggs Bosom
Nanny Oggs Bosom

Homage To Catalonia was the book George Orwell wrote about his experiences of fighting fascist in Spain. The BBC produced an abridged dramatised version that I heard on iPlayer last year or earlier this year. Pretty certain anti-fascists weren’t then, and aren’t now, the moral equivalent of Nazis.

Also see As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee. The book that made me a socialist at the tender age of 12. Thanks Gramps for giving me CIder With Rosie to read. I also read Animal Farm at the age of 12 (my sister’s English Lit. class was reading it, so I read it in our family George Orwell anthology so I could show off about having read it already when my class did it. We didn’t end up reading it as a class, but I still learnt something), so I’m quite capable of distinguishing between State Communism and Socialism too. I see that argument come up a few times, that socialist are as bad a fascist because USSR and China and North Korea.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@everyone re WWII & the US

Yes, yes, and yes. These stories offend my inner historian, my inner pedant, and my inner crusty old socialist (who’s still kicking around in there, somewhere).
It’s just as ridiculous here with the whole “Australians fought and died for freedom” shtick. Sure, we were actually under some threat of Japanese invasion, but overall the reason we were involved was ’cause Britain told us to be. It also sickens me how Gallipoli is held up as the “making of a nation” – it’s uber-exclusionary and celebrates a mass slaughter that didn’t even achieve its objective. Yay, nation! /s

TheKND
TheKND

@Alan
Ever since we discovered certain extremophiles we literally don’t know anymore. We have fungi that survive and prosper on the outside of space stations for god’s sake! For all we know, there are thriving bacteria colonies inside of volcanoes (Oh wait, there are O_O )

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi

@nparker

And the “America was barely in it” thing really annoys me. I live in the UK now and I’m fully aware of the “Johnny come lately”, “overpaid, oversexed and over here” attitude. Every man of fighting age in WWII that I knew, men of my grandfather’s age, did fight in the European or Asian theatre or occasionally were in the armed forces but were stationed in the US as part of the war effort. Both my grandfathers were in the army. Yes, civilian casualties were few and civilian America was in no way “in the war” in the same way the UK was, but the United States suffered over 400,000 military casualties in the war, actually more than the UK. That’s not really ‘barely in it’.

Nanny Oggs Bosom
Nanny Oggs Bosom

@ Mish

We learnt at school in the UK about the slaughter/disaster that was Gallipoli. It made me cry. And hate Churchill.

My inner historian/pedant/socialist is also offended by the ‘Hollywood’/’hero worship’/downright inaccurate portrayals of WW1 and WW2. Can it stop? Because the reality was much more complex and people need to know that complexity. Governments use the simple narrative to build/maintain patriotism and control the people by harking back to ‘fighting for freedom’ etc. (see Brexit 2016 campaigns for an example, or any Daily Hate Mail issue). The arguments I’ve got into with people who only know the nuance free ‘them bad, us good’ story have been monumental, and people struggle to understand it isn’t as simple as they’ve been taught. It’s so frustrating.

@ mish

Are you familiar with all the “Rainbow 5” & “Plan Orange” stuff?

To massively oversimplify, the US was originally considering a plan to let Japan pretty much do what it pleased in regard to British and Dutch territories in the Pacific and SE Asia. That included letting them have Australia if they wanted it. Pearl Harbour obviously changed all that.

The irony is that the original Japanese war planning didn’t include the Pearl Harbour attack. Japanese priorities were places like Singapore. In the end the attack on Pearl Harbour was only authorised “if it does not detract from primary objectives”.

Counterfactuals are by definition speculative; but it’s interesting to consider what would have happened if the ‘don’t awake a sleeping giant’ view had prevailed in the Japanese war cabinet.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@ Nanny Oggs Bosom

Yes, beautifully put. Couldn’t agree more!

@Alan,

I knew about stuff like the Brisbane line, which seems to be related to what you’re referring to? That was ‘charming’, and I’ve often wondered how exactly it was supposed to work in practice 🙂

@ rugbyyogi

civilian America was in no way “in the war”

Is this something that’s well known about in the US? At the time the Fu-Go attacks (Japanese balloons with auto released bombs) were hushed up because the US didn’t want the Japanese to learn that they were successful, or provide targeting feedback.

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

The recent “Antifa are as bad as Nazis!” is incredibly frustrating. The right wing realized that the literal fascists amongst them had been spotted and needed a distraction, to avoid the stink of Nazis from sticking to them, so – hey, look at those people over there in the black hoodies, don’t they look scary! Nazis are bad, but at least they’re white and carrying good ole all-american assault rifles! Those guys with the hoodies and the spray cans and the red flags, they sure look like thugs, whistle whistle. They look like commie thugs, whistle whistle. None of this woulda happened if those commie thugs hadn’t’ve stirred things up you know, they made those honest hard workin’ KKK folks turn all fascist.

America doesn’t have a left and a right in its politics. It’s got a plutocrat party, and a plutocrat-but-let’s-keep-the-drones-sedated party.

Grumble grumble!

SpukiKitty
SpukiKitty

There needs to be a big letter-writing and petition campaign by Progressives to the Democratic Party to tell the later what we want, what we want in a candidate and to stop being a bunch of milquetoasts and out-of-touch boobs.

I think Pelosi has been greatly misinformed and someone needs to educate her. It seems folks like her are still in a moderate, Pre-Trump/Pre-Alt-Reich/”‘Godwin’s Law’ is still valid”/”BiPartisanship is great”/”It can never happen here”- mindset. She likely doesn’t understand the severity of the threat and is misinformed about this AntiFa stuff.

I don’t believe in voting a Third Party at this point. As much as I would like to see it someday, it shouldn’t be now. It’s important to be pragmatic and work on getting the Far-Right out of power COMPLETELY, first.

At this point; The majority of Americans don’t see Third Party voting as feasible and the GOP has done a lot of stuff like gerrymandering. Many GOPers have been elected because a few Progressives voted for a genuinely Progressive but very small and niche Third Party.

We need to reform the Democratic Party from within. If Far-Righties can turn the “Party of Lincoln” into the “Party of Davis” then a bunch of Greens, Democratic-Socialists, etc. can become and run as Democrats.

Also; WE THE PEOPLE need to hold the Dems’ feet to the fire and TELL THEM EXPLICITLY what we want if they expect to be elected or get anything done! The Democratic Party needs to unite and get it’s act together if it is to usurp the Far-Right menace!

That said: I JUST HAD A THOUGHT….What if Pelosi’s statement is “Fake News” and rumor-mongering meant to divide and conquer The Resistance? WE NEED TO KEEP THAT IN MIND!

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Galanx,

Yeah, I’m aware that’s the excuse, but the wording of the title still makes it seem like an honor. It’s the 20th century version of clickbait and had the effect of legitimizing horrible people with the power to hurt a whole lot of others. It’s even worse now because they’ve claimed to stop giving it to horrible people, but they still do.

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

Something to keep in mind – the federal level Democrats and Republicans have been under sieges of communication from their constituents over the last several months. Republicans have had their ears scorched off. Democrats have as well. These jerks know where their constituents stand, they just don’t care.The only way you’ll change their minds on something is a massive coordinated phone/mail effort, and with the media crying “Both Sides!”, that’ll be hard to get the numbers on.

I really don’t know what to do about it, guys. They’re legitimizing fascists with this “both sides” nonsense. That can’t stand. But I don’t know what to do about it.

BlackBloc
BlackBloc

So, I hope to make this a discussion and not a shouting match, and if I don’t succeed at that then I take responsibility for it.

We’ve had this discussion before, months back, about Bash Back. To be clear, IMO in the Venn diagram of the sets “antifa” and “queer activists”, Bash Back and sympathizers is almost a perfect 100% overlap with the intersection of those sets. I remember David and a lot of the commenters here taking a dim view of Bash Back as a group, especially their tactics of confronting MRAs in a manner similar to how antifa is confronting fascists today. I used the term “Red baiting” to point at what I felt is a similar dynamic to what is currently used against antifa, that is the pointing out of the fact that many active Marxists and anarchists are either the core members or thought leaders within that tendency to tar the whole group as illiberal.

David has also written a lot about the conversion belt process that has been moving MRAs towards far right extremism and white nationalism. So at the very least I have to think that the fact that seemed obvious to me at the time, that the MRAs are actually a clear and present danger and one tip of the iceberg of extreme far right organizing in the United States, is now somewhat accepted by David and other commenters here.

I’m just curious about whether this represents a change in perspective or if David or other people here genuinely think there’s a distinction between the legitimacy of antifa vs that of Bash Back, as far as organization and/or tactics are concerned.

LaurelG
LaurelG

Thank you so much for this, Dave. I was all worried yesterday seeing the WaPo and Vox pieces that I would wake up as an “enemy combatant terrorist” in Trump’s America today because I’ve marched with our local antifa.

I would like to say for the record, the antifa groups we have here in Minneapolis are excellent, level-headed people who are not afraid to put their bodies on the line, but also very willing to talk and try diplomacy. When alt-righters tried to piggyback on a pro-Trump rally in early May, the GDC (antifa) talked to them, got them on their side and actually ended up sort of protecting the Trump rally from the fascists. The non-fascist pro-Trump organizers ended up using our megaphones to denounce the white supremacists. It was a good day. Unicorn Riot documented it all.

Moggie
Moggie

TheKND:

Even if we combine all protein on the planet

Na naaa, na na na na, Katamari Damashii!

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

These jerks know where their constituents stand, they just don’t care.

This. I oppose violence that isn’t in self defense. The vast majority of progressives are the same way in my experience.

It’s not true that antifa are just as violent as the right. They only use these tactics to intimidate organized groups of white supremacists. Not the population as a whole. Not the white population as a whole. But I do fear that there will be actual violent political unrest in the future and if there is, it will be because when there is no way to obtain justice through proper channels, vigilantism starts to look attractive. Even the only acceptable to white people civil rights activist, Martin Luther King Jr. knew this and said so. The fact that the media and political establishment have done nothing to stop the comeback of fascism is the reason that the left is starting to become more radical.

I think the seeds for this were planted in the US with the acquittal of George Zimmerman. They sprouted with Ferguson and are blossoming under the administration of Trump.

The establishment doesn’t believe that the left is ready for violent revolution but they’re scared we will be and that is why we’re seeing this false equivalency narrative being pushed. But that’s the exact wrong strategy for them to take. We’re here because they’ve done nothing about police gunning down marginalized citizens with impunity. We’re here because sovereign citizens/white supremacists put on armed takeover of first a town in Nevada and then a federal building in Oregon and the government did nothing. We’re here because there were waves of hate crimes following the election of Trump and this was handwaved away. When Pelosi, CNN, whoever say the left is just as bad, it’s only going to add fuel to the far because it does nothing but confirm the fears that the only justice left available is vigilante justice. Progressives inherently want peace and justice, but everyone has a self preservation instinct and will defend themselves. I’m not sure why so many people don’t understand this or pretend not to.

History Nerd
History Nerd

AntiFa and the black bloc folks use bad tactics and violence is not the solution, yes, but they’re not the moral equivalents of the alt-right. I’ve seen very few people actually give a critique beyond fear mongering anti-communist dog whistles (they want to take your business away and send you to the gulag, etc.). I’d go with AntiFa over Nazis if I was forced to choose.

Anti-communism is a good thing in the abstract. Stalin and Mao were terrible genocidal monsters. But anti-communism as a movement has historically been run by fascists promoting the message that more democracy and more progressive social movements will lead to a Stalinist nightmare. From time to time, being a strong anti-communist is “cool,” so people feel empowered to flush all their pretenses of social progressiveness down the drain.

The Democrats at the federal level only care about getting votes. They’ll abandon a social movement if they think abandoning it suits them at the polls. Disclaimer: I’m not a Bernie bro. 🙂

1 2 3 9