advocacy of violence

The Daily Caller posted a video encouraging people to ram protesters with cars and trucks

Screenshot of Daily Caller video

By David Futrelle

In January, the folks at the Daily Caller found the idea of running protesters down with cars and trucks so hilarious that they made and posted a video compilation of people doing just that — set to an acoustic version of Ludacris’ “Move, Bitch.” (“Move bitch, get out the way/ Get out the way bitch, get out the way.”)

“Study the technique,” Daily Caller video editor Mike Raust wrote in a brief introduction to the video, “it may prove useful in the next four years.”

He added: “None of these clips are new, but that doesn’t mean they’re not still fresh.”

Here’s a screenshot of the page:

Click for full-sized version

If The Daily Caller removes the article, you can find it archived here.

In related news: Yesterday, MediaMatters reported that Jason Kessler, the white supremacist organizer of the #UniteTheRight march, had written several articles for The Daily Caller only a few months ago.

The Daily Caller, founded by (current) Fox News personality Tucker Carlson, is generally considered a mainstream conservative site. Which tells you something about the state of conservatism today.

H/T — Greg Greene (@ggreeneva) on Twitter

Serebrianyi Golub
Serebrianyi Golub

Also Glenn Reynolds, aka @instapundit, a law professor and “respectable” conservative commentator, was suspended from Twitter last year for “jokingly” advocating driving over demonstrators. This is some kind of running joke with them.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

Speaking of peope obsessed with murdering protestors, Trump’s at a QnA, and the reporters are out for blood.

He’s having a temper tantrum over his refusal to condemn Nazis. This is our timeline.

Oh great now he’s comparing taking down statues of traitors to people wanting to tear down statues of George Washington. Alt left, he said Alt Left. Both sides he says? He’s fucking attacking anti nazi protesters.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Since the Republican party tends to let itself be completely led by the conservative media, it’s only a matter of time before the party starts openly endorsing terrorism, just like the conservative media is. If they haven’t started doing so already.

This is why building bridges with Republicans is bullshit. I’d be willing to do it with a rational opposition. I’m not willing to do it with terrorists, white nationalists and theocrats.

In related news, here’s a funny. I

Apparently Baked Alaska used his mom’s credit card to take Uber to his little Nazi rally, got kicked out of the car, claims it was because he is white.

It never fails does it? All these supposed superior alpha males who built civilization and hunted the mammoth for us all live off of female relatives or partners.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

Trump: “George Washington was a slave owner too.”

“Press is treating the nazis unfairly.”

Like seriously, he is right now doubling, tripling, and quadrupling down. Blaming John McCain for his failures. He is trying so hard to get away from Charlottesville. He straight up defended the Nazis.

0_o Just o_0

Tov01
Tov01

@WWTH
There are at least five states trying to pass laws to make it legal to run over protestors. They’re definitely already openly supporting terrorism.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

There’s a reason people gather where they’ll be in the way
It’s a means of forcing everydays to hear what they’ve to say
They need someone to listen, they need an overhaul
So listen to their call

It’s kind of the point of a protest, in the end
When “Wait!”‘s always “Never,” why even pretend
That there’s a teeny-weeny chance that the law gives a fuck?
No-one left to pass the buck

Is this so hard to understand?
We sure as hell don’t live in the greatest land
They’re trying to make things better, create a rising tide
And it’s sorta hard to do that while stayin’ inside
They get out and shout so that people will hear
And put pressure on those above their peers
So maybe they’ll have a shot at a better life for all
Alone it’s no use, but a group stands so tall

And here’s the point that people are seeming to forget
It’s a point that no-one should fail to get
A protestor is a person, just trying to make the way
For themselves and those they love to be okay

They’re brave enough to stand up in a land that hates
And I’m sure they’ll wind up though the Pearly Gates
But it’s not their time just yet, and there’s a commandment somewhere
That is, if some people even care…

A life is a life no matter how hard they yell
And those who take the innocent oughta head to Hell
That said, I’m sure that Michigan really don’t need no more
Of people who claim other people are some sorta eyesore
For trying to affirm their rights as they’re allowed to do
And if you think that this song is an offense towards you
Go ahead, take a nice long walk off the shortest pier you find
As I get the strangest feeling it’s a chore to change your mind

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Your songs help give me peace, thank you. Especially since right now my mind is in uber panic mode.

Timestamp at 46:50 to see the meltdown of him defending nazis and being against anti nazi protestors.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

A link for those who are having the misfortune to deal with people supporting the new ‘accidental running over of protesters’ laws (as in, “No, that’s not what the law says!!”):

personalpest
personalpest

It’s not just Tucker Carlson’s site that spreads alt right idiocy. Last month on Tucker Carlson Tonight, he hosted a racist segment demonizing Romani immigrants in Pennsylvania that resembled Nazi propaganda.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

True. But I guess I should clarify what I meant by openly. They’re pretending that law is protecting drivers who accidentally hit protesters. They’re pretending that racially motivated murders are “standing your ground” or “self defense.” They do call for terrorism, but they use dogwhistles. We know better, but they have plausible deniability. I was more thinking that it was only a matter of time before they blatantly ask their base to commit violence against whose politics, religion, skin color, sexual orientation or gender identity they disapprove of. They’re a hair’s breadth from not even trying to hide it anymore. Really, I think the press being hard on Trump for not condemning the Nazis in Charlottesville is about the only reason the other prominent Republicans are putting on their moderate face for now.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

So this happened:

Update, 4:47 p.m.: Fox News released this statement from Noah Kotch, the editor-in-chief of Fox News Digital: “The item was inappropriate and we’ve taken it down. We regret posting it in January.”

“We regret that we didn’t figure out that we’d get so much blow back for this!”

IgnoreSandra

I kind of believe at this point that there’s no difference between anyone on the American right-wing and literal Nazis. They certainly don’t act in different ways at all.

Ugh. I’m so afraid here. I want to get out.

dreemr
dreemr

I am fucking FURIOUS and fucking TERRIFIED and fucking DISMAYED BEYOND ALL RECKONING.

Huggbees
Huggbees

Holy shit that Press Conference. So are we calling our boys that stormed the beaches at Normandy “the alt-left” now? I’ve never been so disgusted at a President in my life he needs to be out of here like yesterday.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Huggbees
Pretty much me rite now

@IgnoreSandra
On a completely unrelated note, last night I made peace with the fact that I’m a trans woman. This morning’s news, kind of destroyed that peace. We can get through this. Trump literally made the worst possible decision. This is an unprecedented media disaster by every possible measure other than the nazi’s own. It’s not even a joke to consider the idea that GOP members are gonna start eyeing arm bands because their POTUS already stated where he stands.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

Love and virtual hugs to all in the States.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Huggbees,

If somebody told me ten years that I would miss the George W Bush administration, I’d have asked what they were smoking. I thought Dubya was as bad as it gets.

dreemr
dreemr

@wwth – I’ve said that very thing more than once in the last 6 months.

In other news, I’m temporarily banned from Twitter for swearing too much. Sorry to everyone here for doing the same thing.

ETA: sorry also for my incredible selfishness – hugs to IgnoreSandra and Ooglyboggles and anyone else much more severely impacted by this hideous monstrosity than a nice white mom like me (if hugs are wanted. Fistbumps/nods of respect are also available).

I am so sorry, this all falls on my shoulders, and the shoulders of other complacent white people like me. I’m trying to rectify that, it took me far too long to see it.

IgnoreSandra

I…this does fall on my shoulders too as a white person, but truthfully I’ve done everything I could legally in my life, given the way I was raised and the opportunities I had, to strive for political justice. That doesn’t mean it was anywhere near enough, but I’m only 24. I’ve only voted in two national elections, and every local and state one.

I’m just so angry and scared and I don’t think I can convince my parents to move to australia or something. I’m so worried a half dozen brownshirts are going to break my door down and end me while my parents are away on business. Or that the next time I go out in town, I will be the next disappeared transgender woman.

Of course I know the latter is unlikely cause of my skin color, but I’m still afraid. Fear isn’t always rational.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@Oogly

I’m glad my song helped you…and that you came to a conclusion.

Still, to say that I’m fairly fucking concerned about how things are is an understatement, to say the least.

I can claim a small amount of good, at the very least: my history professor is a black man who specializes in black history, as I found out today. I was afraid it was going to be, well…racist white guy.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@IgnoreSandra

There never was a substantive difference.

Ugh. I’m so afraid here. I want to get out.

*hugs* Same.

ETA:

I know that feel. *hugs* And I’m constantly worried about my partners too, cos they’re on the list too.

@Oogly

*hugs* And congratulations. Feel free to message me anytime you want to chat, there’s also a (not very active yet) discussion channel on the discord I set up.

This morning’s news, kind of destroyed that peace.

*moar hugs*

Yeah, if they’d just stuck with the confederate symbols they’d be doing way better in the public eye. *sigh* I hate this country so fucking much.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

All the swearing I can manage right now. Again.

To top it all off, on a purely selfish/personal level, this week is the 1-year anniversary of Mr. Parasol rushing me to the ER because I was having a hemorrhagic stroke. My stress level is ridiculous because of that plus seeing my country slide deeper into this mess.

Talonknife
Talonknife

I get the very unpleasant feeling that things are coming to a boiling point, and I don’t want to be here when they do.

Roberta Loblaw
Roberta Loblaw

I dunno why, but the headline about an elephant ‘murdering’ people jumps out at me. What the fuck is that, even?

JS
JS

Friendly virtual hugs to all who desire them. Except Nazis.

dreemr
dreemr

Yes, no hugs for Nazis.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ roberta

What the fuck is that, even?

It’s a sad case. An elephant was separated from his herd, became distressed, and had a number of encounters with humans. Scared elephants and people are a bad mix. This is becoming more of a problem as development encroaches into the natural habitat.

He was shot by this person.

Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie
Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie

fuck… fuck… fuuuuuuckkkk….

@ Troubelle;

Damn, that’s really good!!! Can I send that to my friends (no citation, ‘course)?

Also, I’m wondering if it would be possible/practical/wise to start calling senators and representatives and ask them point-blank when NOT “IF”, WHEN they’re going to call for his removal??

ETA; if not the removal of the cheeto stain, then definitely the removal of Bannon, Miller and Gorka

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite
Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

Hopefully the worst that happens is that people get better at seperating metaphor from language in politics. Right, left, D, R, political party just does not matter to things like functionally dealing with bigots and bigotry. I believe I see a lot of anti-nazi momentum that has to be recognised. Congress people will simply have to react, how they react can be planned for. Trump wants praise. Can it be given to him in useful ways?

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Brony

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

Oogly

It’s near unbelievable. He just barely, narrowly, managed to step carefully back from the cliff edge on Monday.

Now he’s gone full Wile E Coyote over the edge – and he didn’t even need a little push from Road Runner. He did it all himself. I think he’s still at the flailing-in-mid-air phase for the time being. Buuuuuuut, gravity always wins in the end.

IgnoreSandra

Also, I didn’t see this earlier!

@Ooglyboggles

I’m glad you’re certain who you are, and you’ve come to terms with it.

This morning’s news, kind of destroyed that peace.

My peace is shattered every few hours by the nazis. And the nazi administration. And everything that happens in business.

So, I used to work recently in a warehouse for a major online retailer. Last week, I quit because my psychological problems and stress were coming up and I was spending the majority of my shifts crying. And somebody was gonna notice sooner or later.

Literally the DAY I quit, I read an article where a trans woman who looks awfully much like me was suing them because her coworkers attempted to murder her in 2015 and the company did absolutely nothing, despite claiming to support LGBT people.

So I’m basically…resigned, at this point, to pretending to be a man for the foreseeable future. And I don’t wanna face that, so I’ve lied to my parents about whether I’ve submitted job applications over the past few days. I can’t just not face things, though. I’m not allowed to.

So yeah. It’s not going to get easier dealing with the outside. But for me at least, finally the inside is connected together in a holistic, cohesive way. And I have to value that.

I also chose my two names – first and middle. I won’t say them here, but it was great getting to pick names that had meaning to me. I actually got my mom talking about how she hated her legal first name and wondering if she wanted to change it. She’s also kind of insisting I go clothes shopping soon to update my outfit to be more androgynous/feminine instead of the weird mix of masculine/feminine I currently have. That’s sort of progress, I think.

History Nerd
History Nerd

There’s some evidence indicating that there’s been an uptick in explicitly fascist and racist beliefs among some people in younger generations, besides older people with those views. Conservative news sites are trying to “wink wink nudge nudge” those people as a strategy to try to get those votes for 2018. It might be enough if that gives you a few hundred extra votes in swing districts.

Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie
Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie

Trump wants praise. Can it be given to him in useful ways?

I would suggest “Goodbye, trump, glad to see you GO, fucker”

JS
JS

Trump needs none of our praise. He gets it from his base of white nationalists every time he dogwhistles “both sides”, “alt-left”, “define alt-right”, and others I’m sure I missed.

Sheila Crosby

Hugs to everyone who wants them (except Nazis of course). I wish I had more comfort to offer.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@dreemr
Thank you dreemr.

@Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer
Thank you Dalil, I’ll keep the offer in mind. I’m probably being irrational due to the fact I’m Asian and the GOP is still interested in keeping Asians as the Model Minority for now. I just hope this conference doesn’t give a few bitter nazis in CA the greenlight to stop pretending to treat me like a person.

The fucking terrible thing isn’t that he was being nazi sympathizer, it was that if he was less openly racist this entire event would have gone without a hitch.

@mildlymagnificent
Gravity hurts indeed.

@IgnoreSandra

Same here. I can’t speak about this to anyone in my family. Until I can safely say that I can just be me in this country, I’ll have to keep presenting as a man.

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

Him and his goddamned “define alt-right”.

Ask Bannon, you stupid morally bereft hairpiece.

Ooglyboggles,

Strength, my friend. <3

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Literally the only thing Trump had to do to appear to be a normal human was say that Nazis are bad on Saturday.

This vortex of bad press is entirely self-inflicted.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@Weird Eddie

Feel free to share it. Just say a mime in a dapper suit wrote it.

Aulma Frendzar Dèdd
Aulma Frendzar Dèdd

@Ooglyboggles plenty of hugs! I hope you find strength and peace to go through this.
Also, love the Vincent/Catherine pic!

numerobis
numerobis

This vortex of bad press is entirely self-inflicted.

This time, the bad press wil sink him. Right? Right?

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite
Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

@Dalillama
That is what I plan for just in case. I guess I just want think about possibilities going forward. What positive reinforments for good behavior look like. I guess it is premature.

Makroth - wild west firecracker window-smashing soap-averse unionized cowboy Jacobin from Hell

@Brony

What kind of praise?

” I like how well you fail, Mr. President. You should do it more often. You’re very graceful at it.”

” I like how well you’re taking care of yourself, Mr. President. All those trips to Mar-a-Lago. You should consider taking a permanent vacation.”

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Sandra

All sympathies on the work situation.

Yay!

Definitely, and I’m glad to hear it.

@oogly

No, you’re not being irrational at all. It’s an incredibly dangerous time to be a trans woman of colour right now, (Speaking of which I hope Fran’s doing ok. I miss her) and it’s not a situation where Model Minority status will help even a teensy bit; see all the manosphere posts about Asian women being more docile,/feminine/sex toyish than ‘Western’ women. Asian trans women get that shit quadruple.

That’s the thing; I don’t think that any amount of racism would’ve caused this amount of backlash by itself. Nazi is still a swear word in this country, though. If they’d been just the same but not flying swastikas and heiling Hitler, white liberals would be excusing it even harder and no Republican politicians would be trying to distance themselves.
@Brony
That presupposes a possibility of good behaviour. You need better axioms.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@Dali

I miss Fran, too…

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Recently relistened to Move. Really doesn’t hold up…

@Oogly
Mix of yays and *hugs*. Since I waited way too long with John, might I ask your pronouns?

These people aren’t rational in their hate, so you shouldn’t feel obligated to be rational in your worry. You are, but, in this timeline, fuck it, ya know? Hey, least we’re all scared together, right?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Oogly,

Would you like us to use feminine pronouns for you from now on?

ETA: ninja’d!

IgnoreSandra

@Dali and Troubelle

I miss Fran too. It was never boring around her.

@Oogly

You’re not being irrational. In 48 states, a man can kill any given trans woman and get off by basically confessing to the murder. This is the reason my latent bisexuality STAYS latent. Lesbian for life.

I’ll be listening to your response on the pronouns.