Uncategorized

White supremacists encouraged by Trump’s “many sides” comments on #Charlottesville terror

Trump commenting on Charlottesville earlier today

By David Futrelle

Donald Trump will blithely threaten nuclear war in hair-raising off-the-cuff remarks. But his milquetoast statement on Charlottesville today — referring vaguely to violence “on many sides” — was clearly carefully scripted, seemingly to avoid offending the white supremacists who have been some of his most fervent supporters.

Whatever his intent, White supremacists are cheering his evasive non-response as a sign that “he loves us all.”

And to Richard Spencer, and “Baked Alaska,” and all the other Nazis and quasi-Nazis and “oh-no-I’m-not-a-Nazi”s who marched in Charlottesville.

The closest Trump came to condemning the terrorism was this bizarre tweet, posted late in the day.

BEST FUCKING REGARDS!?

Not that any of this should be a shock at this point, given that during his campaign Trump deliberately and repeatedly incited his supporters to attack those protesting him.

And he’s not the only one to encourage violence. One commenter reminded us that right-wing columnist and University of Tennessee law professor Glenn Reynolds literally urged drivers to plow into Black Lives Matter protesters in a tweet last year

None of this bodes well for the future.

Sadly, I think this is almost certainly true.

Pavlovs House
Pavlovs House

@Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie

“The ongoing temper tantrum that whites have been throwing since the civil war is/has come to a head. The militant white population has been stumping for a fight for years, ever since the civil rights, women’s rights, gay rights movements of the 50’sand 60’s.”

I think a key turning point that is often forgotten is Nixon giving the southern White Supremacists a new political party “home” in the Republican Party during the early 1970s.

Despite the persistence of white supremacist ideology in the late 1960s early 1970s, institutionally the South *had* changed by the early 1970s. John Dittmer discusses this in his Local People: The Struggle for Civil Rights in Mississippi (Champagne-Urbanna: University of Illinois Press, 1995) — for example the extremely high proportion of local government elected offices held by African-Americans by 1975 (I think it was a majority). Mass Black suffrage from the enforcement of the Voting Rights act, the results of mass local activism and the dismantling of the *outward* manifestations of Jim Crow like segregation did make for a “new” Mississippi, or a Mississippi that looked outwardly at LOT different from what it was just fifteen years before — but of course the white supremacist constituency was still there and angry, but after the reuninification of state Democratic parties in the early 1970s, they needed a place to go, institutionally, in terms of the two-party system.

Nixon gave them that with the Republican Party.

Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie
Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie

He tried to apply that to sixteenth-century Spain

I… well, … I see a (very short) treatise, “Capitalism in post-Moorish Spain”. yeah…

re: family. I was raised on Pete Seeger, “Rainbow Quest”, social conscience and pinko politics… communist, prolly, but in the squishy American Communist Party sense. My family is all gone, but my dad left me with a mandate… “Shoot Back!”

My ex partner is a Muslim, our son is biracial, and they both believe in antifascist ideals. I don’t have any advice for those whose family members are fascist apologists (or worse), I have hugs if you want them, tho! There are several trumpanzees at my workplace, but I’ve spoken up enough that they no longer include me in their rants. Best of luck to us all.

@Pavlov;

re: noxin and the new repubs party, absolutely! That gave the Strom Thurmond/Jesse Helms southern Dixiecrats their own home that they didn’t have to share with non-whites

Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie
Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie

John McCain had a good response to the attack:

In a statement, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., went so far as to address “neo-Nazis” along with white supremacists, saying that the groups “are, by definition, opposed to American patriotism and the ideals that define us as a people and make our nation special.”

pOTUS will probably reiterate his preference for people who weren’t captured….

the dumpster-fire-in-chief may get his “out”, with all the rebellion and animus, he may be able to “quit with honor”, saving his reputation with his base for upcoming “trumpTV” show

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

Why the fuck are we jumping McCain, Cruz, Hatch, or Navarro for half-assed self-serving statements in thr face of the rising fascism they’ve spent decades bringing to the US? Have any of them apologized for their part in it? Have they taken an steps to repudiate their erstwhile allies, or to repair the damage they’ve done? I already know the answer: of course they haven’t, because they’re still fascists, they just prefer uniformed racist murderers. When they apologize, resign repudiate the Republican party entirely, endorse the farthest left candidate running to replace them and devote the rest of their lives to Habitat for Humanity, then there would be grounds to praise them.

Pavlovs House
Pavlovs House

@Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie

Yeah, it kind of went like this.

Me: “Well, sixteenth-century Spain wasn’t really capitalist. Nobody was in Europe yet, although there was the beginnings of a much more expanded commercial economy. But this is really the period in which government economic policy is dominated by mercantilist (or what we’d later call “mercantilist”) ideas.”

Him: “I have my own definition of capitalism that I’m using. I see capitalism as something where respect for private property is at work.” [additional screed on Obama the evil socialist today, blah bah.]

Me: “The doesn’t make sense. Also, this is a history class so you need to stick to the course material in your discussion contributions.”

Him: “But private property is at the heart of capitalism.”

Me: “No. Capital is at the heart of capitalism. Nobody is Spain really amassed capital. Yes, they got a bunch of precious metal from the New World. That was like money. But they didn’t spend it on producing new things in Spain. It mostly didn’t stay in Spain. They just pumped it on up the Spanish road to pay their armies fighting in the Netherlands, continually, for decades.”

Him: “I see capitalism as something where respect for private property is at work.”

Me: “You aren’t doing the reading. You also need to go back and get a basic European History undergraduate survey textbook and read it. [not out loud: “how to did you get admitted to this program?]”

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Yeah, I’m all for positive reinforcement to get people to change their behavior. It’s what works best. But we should only be praising them for taking actual real steps to change their ways and change the party. Condemning a Nazi terrorist is setting the bar so low that the bar is a mile under the earth’s crust. No one gets praise from me for clearing the bar because it is the bare minimum of what we should expect.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

…Hey, guys.

If I were to hypothetically attend a rally (I can’t get to many places on my own, being 17 and having no permit, but there might be something on-campus), what should I keep on my person and in my mind in regards to self-defense?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Don’t bring any ID. If you get arrested for some bullshit reason, they won’t be able to put anything on your record and they’ll have to let you go.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Troubelle

Generally speaking, you’ll want a mask or some way of concealing your identity (being doxxed by Nazis is bad), a leather jacket or coat, preferably with somehthing thick underneath it (helps some if you’re being clubbed). Bring a bottle of water to stay hydrated. Some bandages, antiseptic cream, gauze pads, and medical tape might come in handy if it turns violent. Mount a sign on the sturdiest rod you can access, it’s a handy self defence implement.

If it’s uniformed fascists you’re worried about, they always start with tear gas. Get some swimming or lab goggles and a filter mask of some kind; hardware stores usually have some, or a surgical mask or even a handkerchief over mouth and nose (in the latter cases it helps to soak in in vinegar). Carry Maalox or another liquid antacid to irrigate the eyes of less prepared victims.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

So that means leave state ID and campus ID at home. This could be an issue, as I need my campus ID to access my dorm. That’s a little bullshit…

Jesalin
Jesalin

@ troubelle

(This is based on animal rights stuff, but it should be applicable)

what should I keep on my person and in my mind in regards to self-defense?

Running shoes. Seriously. If it kicks off just get out of there. Unless you know what you’re doing in a violent confrontation you’re just going to get yourself hurt and hinder the people who do.

Some form of recording device can be useful in case you get into confrontations with the police. But not your regular phone. It can be temporarily confiscated and then they have all your details and those of your contacts. Checking social media is a common tactic and that can be used against you (“We see you’re a regular on that site that promotes punching Nazis” etc)

Take some money hidden in your waistband or somewhere. That way if you’re released from a police station at four in the morning you can use a payphone or flag down a taxi.

Have the contact details of a sympathetic lawyer handy. Ideally memorise them. Have a few alternatives for when the police claim they’re not answering.

As for ID, it’s complicated (see below). Best comprise is to not take any with you, but have a mechanism for proving your identity quickly should the need arise. For example, someone who can email a scan of the relevant documents if you call them (ideally from a burner phone and email)

As to the self defence thing, as mentioned above, unless you know what you’re doing you’re better off without. But if you do feel the need, don’t take anything that’s obviously a weapon. You can do a lot of damage with improvised weapons if you know how. Pens can be as lethal as knives if used correctly. Rucksacks are good shields against both thrown objects and in a melee situation.

Good eye protection is very handy. You can pick up ballistic sunglasses on eBay for a few tens of dollars.

The best advice though is just to be aware of your surroundings. The alt-right lot are, unfortunately, quite good at close quarter tactics so it’s advisable to learn that too so you can anticipate how things are developing and move to a safer position if necessary. You don’t want to get trapped.

Hope this helps a bit.

kupo
kupo

You may also want to bring something like baby shampoo and water in case pepper spray gets involved. You need something that will break down oils. Baby shampoo isn’t truly “no tears” but it’s more gentle. You could use dawn if you don’t have baby shampoo. Here’s more pepper spray info:

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

May this spate of new, Republican denouncers of Trump and the racism and fascism he bolsters change their party affiliation and vote to impeach now or forever hold their peace

Dreidl
Dreidl

Seattle area events today:

Seattle: Denny Park 1pm (Corner of Denny Ave & Dexter St)
Tacoma: Chinese Expulsion Memorial Park Time TBA

There is also a Kitsap County event, I don’t have details.

Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie
Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie

Have any of them apologized for their part in it?

No, and they aren’t going to. Even if they do see their part in it (debatable, I doubt if most of them even see that it exists), they’re not going to punt their privileged position in order to take a stand against it. No one in power is.

You cannot make basic changes in the distribution of power in a society by using the tools of change which the power structure has put in place. Whites are not going to vote themselves out of their privileges and they’re not going to allow anyone else to.

What we saw Friday is more than bigots attacking their chosen targets, even tho I doubt the bigots understand it. This is bigotry attacking a perceived effort to change the hierarchy of social acceptability.

There has been a lot of effort to make fundamental changes in this society in the last 150 years, and I don’t want to discount the successes we have had, e.g. voting rights, anti-discrimination laws, civil rights laws and more. However, I see these as changes of QUANTITY, not of QUALITY. The power dynamic has not changed, white, xian, hetero males are still front and center in every debate, and enforcement of ALL of those gains goes through those men, or (more often) does not happen at all.

McCain, Cruz, et. al. are not going to make common cause with Black Lives Matter in order to “save the republic” they so dearly love. When push comes to shove, they, along with everyone else who values their privilege, will make common cause with Andrew Anglin (and Steve Bannon) first.

I do not have a positive outlook.

This is an ancient article from not long after WW2 started… give it a quick read… and look at your coworkers, neighbors, the person who sacks groceries at the market….

Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie
Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie

@ Troubelle;

Respect. You are a good person. From one who is from another era, when we marched, we sang! Take a song with you, too.

@ weird eddie

I enjoyed (if that’s the right word) that article. On that note I wonder if any Mammotheers can help me with something?

I’m trying to track down a quote about how fascists don’t always look like the stereotypical depiction. It’s something along the lines of “they may even have a comical moustache”.

I’m sure I haven’t imagined it, so does anyone have any clues?

Alan Robertshaw

Hey Axe, I seem to recall you’re less than enamoured with Glenn Greenwald. You might want to take some deep breaths before clicking on this.

FrickleFrackle
FrickleFrackle

How does one change the systems in place? I myself am cis and white and male but at the same time I don’t want to be a bad person. I just also don’t want to use violence or even self-defense (not saying you can’t but I don’t want to). To me the worst part about violence is that it works, and I really feel like it shouldn’t. I refuse to take part in anything violent and if I might have to to make things better I’d rather just die, instead. I’ve always believed that people have the power to change things via the system. If that’s not the case, then well I just don’t know what to do. Perhaps I could move to another country?

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

Cruz in particular is a totally cynical doucheweasel — he’s trying to stake a position on the far right but anti-Nazi, because people will go for White Supremacist ideas as long as nobody points out that they are basically Nazi beliefs. Nazis still have a bad enough odor that a lot of White Nationalists recoil from them.

He seems to feel like all those people who aren´t just like him are taking the world away from him, instead of wondering why he thought the world was his in the first place.

This is an excellent statement of the fundamental belief that the right-wing propaganda machine has been working for decades to nurture. Change is inevitable, and change can require some degree of not painless adaptation, and nostalgia for the (mostly imaginary) simpler past — where minorities and women “knew their place” — can be strong. The genius of the Right-Wing propaganda machine is to blame all the unsettling change on Those People.

In my dad’s eyes, nothing is worse than being “left” and his opinion of “left” now includes anyone who is opposed to literal fascists.

This is the belief that was promoted by the Right during the Cold War. The Right has always claimed that they were the true patriots — and believed it. The Left has often been unwilling to subscribe to “My Country Right or Wrong” — we’d like it to stop being wrong. The Right has tried to delegitimize the Left by characterizing any criticism of the US as disloyal (except, of course, when a certain black man and a certain woman were in charge).

This Handle is a Test
This Handle is a Test

Between Portland and this I’m going to arm myself. We are fighting a group that doesn’t see us as human and is absolute evil incarnate. Nonviolent resistance will not work with them (see also white rose). So I’m seriously on the verge of going to pick up some firearms and going through the process to get a cpl. Debating what tactic to use when the assailant doesn’t have a firearm but there are a number of nongun options.

I worry that a civil war is all but inevitable for this count ry (my extensive reading on Poli sci and history tells me that when two or more groups cannot agree on the nature of reality, war always ensues), and worse it’s likely to be a guerrilla war (or even when it’s over, it’s not over).

Damn 79,000 in 3 states caused this, a different result wouldnt have been good but it would’ve depowered the death cult.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Alan

Hey Axe, I seem to recall you’re less than enamoured with Glenn Greenwald

Into fuckin space!

You might want to take some deep breaths before clicking on this

Breathing after, rage now!!!

Got thru a few paragraphs before I had to eject. The condescending whitedudery was causing me pain. 2800 words, and I guarantee at least 800 of em are just him being smarmy. Also, fuck him, he’s wrong

Look, I’ve given some money to the ACLU. I don’t regret doing so in the slightest. Their work on the Muslim ban, frex, has been invaluable. But they can choose their fuckin cases. And they’ve chosen wrong sometimes. Most recently to murderous results. And that deserves all the criticism, and loss of donations, they’re getting. And for Glenn fuckin Greenwald to say otherwise with an article practically written in the font of ‘leftist superiority complex’ is hideous

Also wanna point out to anyone who’d argue they can’t choose their cases or else muh civil liberties that the SCLC rejected plenty of bus protesters before settling on Rosa Parks. And the civil rights movement was better for it. Own your shit ACLU

😠

@ David F

I’m not sure if this is in line with the comments policy, so if not please delete. But someone’s set up a twitter thing to ID the Nazis at Charlottesville so people can let their employers, schools etc know.

bekabot
bekabot

He said he loves us all.

“He likes us; he really, really likes us!!”

Sad!!

mywall
mywall

@Alan

That listcould cause some very bad things to happen to the people named. It could literally wreck their lives. How can I fund this, please?

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

Sorry about missing you, Dali–and Alan as well!

I condensed your (and Eddie’s) advice:

*LEAVE IDS AT HOME. but have a means of getting them to cops

EVERYDAY FASCISTS:
-Mask of some sort
-Leather jacket/coat with something heavy beneath
-Water bottle
-First aid shit (bandages, antiseptic, gauze, medical tape)
-Mount a sign on a sturdy rod
-Running shoes (don’t fight if it’s not immediately you in danger until you know what you’re doing)
-NO OBVIOUS WEAPONS, but pens and backpacks good
-Non-phone recording device
-Hidden money
-Get some sympathetic lawyer’s numbers
-A good song!

COPS OR WORSE:
-Swimming/lab goggles
-Filter masks (check Lowes or Home Depot), or a surgical mask(last-ditch: handkerchief over mouth and nose, soaked in vinegar if possible)
-Maalox or other liquid antiacid (for those less prepared)
-Baby shampoo and water (pepper spray/gel)

This sound good?

(Also, would it ding me to have my own pepper gel? I carry it every day on-campus, but would it be appropriate here?)

kupo
kupo

Regarding both-sidesism, I need to take some time right now to breathe and calm down, as not one but two of my friends have posted B.S. about how antifa are just as bad as literal fucking nazis. I’m about to unfriend them both. One I’ve been kind of cautious of already, as he’s very pro-gun and pro-hate-speech-as-free-speech. Otherwise he’s a pretty good guy, but really we’ve never been close, so unfriending him wouldn’t be a huge deal.

The other hurts a lot. He’s the type of person I generally look up to and aspire to be like. Not in all respects, but many. Now his stance is a little different; he feels that a handful of assholes have poisoned the antifa movement, but he still feels like Nazis are worse beyond comparison, and that people who say “but antifa…” are supporting Nazis. But he compared current day antifa to the wonton destruction that took place during the WTO protests in 99. He later clarified that he feels the term antifa has been coopted, but I feel like he’s blowing things way out of proportions.

JS
JS

Re: Cruz
I’ll still let him know when he does what I think are the right things, but no way will I ever vote for him without a serious rework of his political ideology.

@Gipsz Jakab
The alt-right, nearly all of them, are literally Nazis. They elected their fascist President, they’ve got their armies of asshole post-fact “afraid of the radical left” thugs, they love that the President doesn’t actually say “Naziism is bad”.

There may be a few, on the fringes, that aren’t actually in favor of white supremacy, but almost all of them are.

I haven’t seen any redeeming qualities from any of the alt-Reich for 12 months now. None of them condemn any violence, unless it’s the “evil antifa”, those they’ll condemn.

@Troubelle
Carrying pepper spray on your person can add a weapon charge if you’re arrested for anything else at the protest. It may or may not be legal to carry pepper spray, depending on where you are, and what you are perceived to be planning to do with it.

It’s like how carrying a multitool with you is normally just fine, but if you’re caught attempting to get into a house with it, that’s “carrying burglary tools”.

It’s best to keep escape routes in mind at all times.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

@ Alan
Re quote about what fascists look like

Were you thinking of this?

I sometimes fear that
people think that fascism arrives in fancy dress
worn by grotesques and monsters
as played out in endless re-runs of the Nazis.

Fascism arrives as your friend.
It will restore your honour,
make you feel proud,
protect your house,
give you a job,
clean up the neighbourhood,
remind you of how great you once were,
clear out the venal and the corrupt,
remove anything you feel is unlike you…

It doesn’t walk in saying,
“Our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution.”

@ weatherwax

Ooh no, but that’s so apposite to the point I wanted to illustrate I think it bears quoting anyway. Good old Michael Rosen.

I sometimes fear that
people think that fascism arrives in fancy dress
worn by grotesques and monsters
as played out in endless re-runs of the Nazis.

Fascism arrives as your friend.
It will restore your honour,
make you feel proud,
protect your house,
give you a job,
clean up the neighbourhood,
remind you of how great you once were,
clear out the venal and the corrupt,
remove anything you feel is unlike you…

It doesn’t walk in saying,

ETA: ha, sort of ninja’d by the edit monster, still, worth saying twice.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

@Alan

Well now I REALLY want to see the thing you were thinking of.

@ weatherwax

It’s the same sort of idea. Like how fascism doesn’t always announce itself with stormtroopers marching down the streets. How sometimes fascists can appear innocuous or even ridiculous. And there’s a line about ‘may even have a silly haircut and a comic moustache’. I keep thinking Orwell but it doesn’t appear to be one of his. Same sort of era though. Maybe Russell or someone like that.

It’s probably irrelevant now anyway. I just wanted to respond to David editing that original post (whilst of course understanding why he did so). It’s the point (which I’m sure everyone here understands anyway) that just because a lot of the alt-right look like pathetic dweebs running around with barbecue accessories from Homebase or whatever, doesn’t mean they’re not just as dangerous as the more obvious candidates (and how really they’re the same thing).

Just look at the car killer’s Facebook. Stupid memes and cartoon frogs.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

Michael Rosen is brilliant, as in this poem. (And he was very, very funny when he did a spot for a Corbyn rally) and he’s good arguing on TV and as an educator working with students (which is how come I met him once (for about 2 minutes) and he seemed really nice in person too).

Roberta Loblaw
Roberta Loblaw

The Nazis are thrilled.

dreemr
dreemr

So my local Resistance group posts a message on FB saying, if you’re meeting up today in solidarity with Charlottesville, remember that we are standing up mainly for People of Color who have been the targets of this kind of hate for centuries.

Most of the comments on this post? “Waaah, what about us white people?”

Sigh. A post LITERALLY tells us (its a mostly white group) to remember that it isn’t all about US, and immediately my white liberal women counterparts begin to whine that they aren’t getting their cookies and are being persecuted.

This shit goes so fucking deep.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

So… I’m just gonna drop this here. [CW for pretty much everything, it’s the Daily Stormer.]

It’s about the Charlottesville victim, and why she totally deserved it.

Also if anyone asks I’ll be in the woods punching trees.

@ opposablethumbs

I met him once (for about 2 minutes) and he seemed really nice in person too).

Anecdote warning. When I was at law school I still did a bit of roadie-ing. One nice regular gig was taking care of the music side of things for ‘The Late Show’. It was really easy cos it often just involved putting up a clarinet stand or something. But the people on the show, including Michael Ronson, were all really nice.

The show was unfortunately cancelled because of viewing figures. On the last episode asked if I could have that wolf picture they used. The director asked why and I told him I really liked the show.

“I wish you’d stayed at home to watch, then we might have had an audience.”

They let me have the picture though.

FrickleFrackle
FrickleFrackle

All these Nazis got me depressed. Why do they find it hard to not hurt people? Are they just evil? I don’t believe in evil, just misguided people, but I know that doesn’t explain someone driving through other people. Do they see it as self-defense or something? Or do they really think that someone having punched Richard Spencer is the same as murder, and this is their revenge? I’m just having a hard time understanding it.

Robert Walker-Smith
Robert Walker-Smith

I posted a comment to my FB page, saying that this was the first time in a long time that I’ve been glad to be white.

Because I can go on a thread where some yowling hammerhead is going on about his* warped, evil worldview, and I can reply, “Hey, I’m a white American man and I think your worldview is warped and evil.” People like that like to believe that people like me secretly agree with them; it’s not much, but I can destroy that fantasy of theirs. Bonus: it usually enrages them.

*Nineteen times out of twenty.

Follow up: my neighborhood street fair here in Oakland California was yesterday. Beautiful day, big friendly crowd of most races, ages and genders, completely peaceful. Proud of my town.

dr. ej
dr. ej

@Sinkable John

Nope. Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.

I read the URL. That’s more than enough.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@JS

It’s legal to have, though not in excess quantities. I have a small canister that hangs around my neck, as I am a young, visibly AFAB person on a uni campus. I wear it everywhere outside of my dorm.

Still, I can see the concern.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

@FrickleFrackle : Thoses nazis is what happen when you demonize and alienize the other side. If they aren’t human, but just obstacles and trials, then they don’t really have right, amirite ? The huy who drove in the crowd likely see them not as humans with aspirations and goals, but just as evil orcs of mordor.

Which is, by the way, one of the reason for which it’s dangerous to hate or stop see them as human. Because regardless of how noble your intention are, nothing good come from not seeing people as humans.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@dr. ej

Yeah I noped out of it pretty quickly, never finished reading. There might be something to mock at the bottom but I stopped caring about that before I could reach it.

Vanir85
Vanir85

On a brighter note.

For your viewing pleasure.

Jason Kessler, the organizer of UniteTheRight and all around big bad Nazi.

Tackled to the ground by one of those “inferior feeemaales”.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

In other news, I joined a D&D thing today! I just walked up to a table where people were making character sheets and asked to join.

Wound up with a gnomish bard with an affinity for berries. Her/Their name is Andyll “Tambly” Challhar. (The book said they chose ’em based on how fun they are to say.)

We play tomorrow.

numerobis
numerobis

Troubelle: another couple of things to look at:
– are there middle-aged people and kids around? Indicates low likelihood of trouble.
– is the march over? Indicates fast-rising risk of trouble.
– is it daytime out? Indicates low likelihood of trouble. Did night just fall? Danger!

These aren’t ironclad rules of course — just likelihoods. Shit can happen anytime.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

@Alan

And now I’m thinking you’ve gone to the (almost) source and are thinking of The Great Dictator, starring the visionary Chaplin.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

The alt-reich rally made Amy Siskind’s list for this week, but not the vehicular homicide:

The rate at which things are deteriorating is alarming. Every datum points to Civil War II starting sometime between now and the early 2020s, if not World War III.

I’m located close enough to a significant military base that there’s a non-negligible chance I’ll be vaporized if the latter happens, even if it’s a “limited exchange” without large population centers being targeted.

I trained myself from an early age to be able to take control of, or force myself awake from, nightmares, oddly since November it doesn’t seem to work anymore. And I never had one drag out for months before…