Uncategorized

Info on #Charlottesville vigils tonight and tomorrow across the country

People gathering for a vigil on Boston Common tonight

A quick post to highlight vigils planned for tonight (Saturday) and tomorrow to honor the victims in Charlottesville and to stand against white supremacist violence.

Please post any additional info you have in the comments.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I want to know where to get the Punch More Nazis shirt.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Gijoel
Gijoel

@ weirwood me too
@Scildfreja. Thanks. Gotta punch ’em all.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

comment image

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Of course Wonder Woman has a proud history of this sort of thing.

numerobis
numerobis

Marco fucking Rubio is calling it a terrorist attack.

Reality seems to be seeping in.

D. D. Webb

I live in Missouri; there are no events anywhere near me, as usual. This is the proud state which just received the NAACP’s first ever travel advisory for black people to avoid for their own safety. Where it is still legal for employers to discriminate against LGBTQIA people, and the state legislature just passed laws making it nearly impossible to press a discrimination suit of any kind. Where people are suffering wildly disproportionate amounts of violent crime, drug use, and poverty for a place with this population density, because that is what conservative rule does to a society.

Sometimes I am perilously tempted to just give up.

kupo
kupo

There’s a white supremacist rally here in Seattle tomorrow. 🙁

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

I wish I could drive. Then I could crash shit I can’t walk to.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@numerobis
Maybe they can’t afford to lose the “minority voters who vote GOP” group.

@kupo
That’s, terrible. Stay safe friend.

kupo
kupo

@Oogly
I’m torn between staying safe and joining the counter-protest. (It’s a ways away from my home, so no danger there.) I’m still recovering from an auto-immune attack earlier this week and I probably need to take it easy. My joints are still sore and I have some brain fog and fatigue. At the same time, I hate that this is happening in my city and I want to fight back.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@kupo
It’d probably be best to rest for now. It won’t do anyone any good if you get really sick from attending the counter-protest, especially with the real possibility of physical harm.

Karalora

I’m planning to attend the anti-Nazi/anti-Trump/Pence rally in downtown L.A. tomorrow. Not sure if I should be ready for Nazis to start shit.

In the meantime, I have a real dilemma. I’ve been donating monthly to the ACLU since January, when they tackled the airport immigration issue. But my understanding is that they pushed for the white nationalists to be allowed to hold this event, and their response to the aftermath has seemed pretty milquetoast. I’m debating whether I should pull my donations going forward and send them to a different org. On the other hand, the ACLU still does a lot of good. Any thoughts?

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

Better to be ready for them to start shit, and they don’t, than to not be ready and they do …

Dreidl
Dreidl

(Very sporadic poster here)

Re: ACLU.

In the US, free speech, freedom of assembly and freedom of association are essential democratic and justice rights, no matter how offensive the speech or the speakers.
Defending rights is not the same as endorsing any point of view.

From their blog –
aclu DOT org/blog/speak-freely/how-could-you-represent-someone-milo-yiannopoulos

Makroth - wild west firecracker window-smashing soap-averse unionized cowboy Jacobin from Hell

This is what you’ve awoken, nazis.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@dreidl
We are all perfectly aware of their justifications. The question is whether they are valid. The answer is no, they are not. Nazi rallies are an active threat of violence against marginalized groups (which includes me, and based on your nym you as well), as we have just seen. Allowing Nazis to organise with impunity is a fundamental threat to democracy, and indeed t9 the civil liberties the ACLU claims to value.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Some images from the car attacker’s Facebook page. Draw your own conclusions.

comment image

Amavra
Amavra

In Denver today

Also an anti-war rally on 8/20 I didn’t find a good link that could be shared though.

Aunt Podger, Ketchup-Spewing Feminester
Aunt Podger, Ketchup-Spewing Feminester

D.D. Webb, I’m not really a part of this community, but several new vigils have popped up in Missouri over the course of the night. I am going to be at the one at the site of the (I understand former or about-to-be former) Confederate Memorial in 63112… if I can figure out a way to get there. My daughter has the car, and she is not answering my texts or e-mails, possibly because she feels political gatherings of this sort are actually counter-productive and hurt the causes people support. (She may be wiser than I, but it is my car, dammit, and I am free to make my own poor choices, the last time I looked, despite many sad MGTOW rants protesting this.)

You are not alone. They want you to think you are alone, but you’re not. (Even if you were alone, history will prove you right.)

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

In London, tomorrow (Monday) evening in front of the US Embassy.

D. D. Webb

@ Aunt Podger: Thank you for that; I’m glad I came by to check the comments again. Yep, some have come up, including one in the city where I work. That is a breath of fresh air I greatly needed.

Karalora

L.A. rally went well. No Neo-Nazis appeared. LAPD was very present but accommodating, even though the rhetoric on hand was semi-revolutionary.

kupo
kupo

There are reports that 4-5 thousand counter-protesters were blocked from reaching the Seattle white supremacist rally by the SPD.

SpukiKitty
SpukiKitty

Karalora
August 13, 2017 at 1:00 am

My understanding is that as long as violence isn’t allowed or explicit death threats made, hate speech is okay. However; Since there has been both this time around, I imagine that the ACLU will rethink their position. They likely didn’t know it would come to this and assumed it would be just more of “Tiny group of angry bigots yelling dumb things while everyone else counterprotests by laughing at them or ignoring them”. Even David initially laughed at them with those tiki torches.

I confess I haven’t read the ACLU’s milquetoasty response.

That said; If you have doubts, you can give to another group such as The SPLC or the NAACP or something.

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

The ACLU have historically defended the right of the KKK to march, even through Black neighbourhoods. They might be the wrong group to support in this case.

SpukiKitty
SpukiKitty

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)
August 14, 2017 at 11:12 am

Wow. I had no idea. They need to rethink their mindset on Hate Rallies. If the rally is more a means of harassment as opposed to protest then there should be exceptions. Harassment isn’t legal.

I heard that the candlelight vigil in Charlottesville was called off due to threats from the Nazi goons….
….I hope they’ll be able to hold it at another time. Peaceful protesters need some sort of group to defend them (like that motorcycle group and those folks in Angel costumes during Military Funerals/LGBTAQ gatherings against that Phelps/Drain Weirdo Hate Cult)…..
If the cops won’t due their job fully then it’s up to We The People.

On the upside; There’s THOUSANDS of protests elsewhere!

SpukiKitty
SpukiKitty

ARGH! I MEANT TO POST THIS AS THE SECOND LINK BUT THE TIMER RAN OUT!….comment image
….These comments need a longer timer. 8 minutes, tops.

I couldn’t find a good photo of that motorcycle bunch.

Well; Peaceful protesters need some sort of protectors as well as lookouts to watch out for violent goons and oncoming killer death cars.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

Thank you for the Grosvenor Square link, Weatherwax! Went to the anti-fascism/anti-racism rally there this evening – just a hundred or so people, but that was at short notice. Glad to have been able to make it, thanks to you!

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@spukikitty

This is indeed the point we’re trying to make. White supremacist marches are intrinsically harassment and indeed an open threat of violence.

SpukiKitty
SpukiKitty

FOR THE HALIBUT; I DECIDED TO TOSS IN SOME FUN GIFS FOR YOUR PERUSAL….comment imagecomment imagecomment image
….and LAST BUT NOT LEAST….comment image