racism scott adams trump twitter

Trump Dreams of Firetrucks: Today in Tweets

Only white dudes (and dogs) are allowed on the Trump Truck!

By David Futrelle

In today’s Tweetpile: Stephen Miller takes on the tired and poor, Trump tries to pay attention in meetings, white people convince themselves that black people get to go to college for free, and some record-breaking polls for the Trumpster!

This tweet is the start of a pretty amazing thread:

And now the Philosophical Stumper of the Day:

Alan Robertshaw

Must confess, this got me scratching my head too.
comment image

dreemr
dreemr

I think Drumpf is going for the record on lowest-approval ratings. He saw Chris Christie only had 15% and got on the Tee Vee and went viral at a baseball game and EV’RYTHING!

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

Do you know how many white people truly and genuinely believe that black people get to go to college for free?

Even if that was true, wouldn’t the solution be making college available to everyone?

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

That Twitter thread was really astonishing and sad.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Re Stephen Miller dismissing Emma Lazarus’ poem … does the doofushead not know that the Bill of Rights was “added later”? Does he even realize that the Constitution was a replacement for the Articles of Confederation? What about the 19th Amendment? Should women lose the right to vote because the 19th was “added later”?

We’re ALWAYS a nation in progress, ya doofushead. Otherwise we stagnate and die. Feel free to do that on Snake Island.

dreemr
dreemr

Shhhhh, not too loud! I’m sure Stephen would be in favor of rolling the right to vote back to white male property owners.

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

When in the hell is someone going to stand up to this lying sack of shit? My God, how these people can sleep at night is beyond me.

Every day is a shit storm, and nobody is doing a fucking thing about it!

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@ dreemr

Oh, I wouldn’t doubt it!

@Alan
I had this coworker who liked to dress well, which stands out quite a bit in the tech sector. Most of us wear jeans and a t-shirt every day, but he would dress in suits. He liked to look nice. One day we’re sitting in a meeting and he leans back and crosses his legs so that one of his feet is visible. He’s wearing those “barefoot” toe shoes with his suit. My officemate starts cracking up and cannot stop laughing through the entire meeting. Every time she sees him for the rest of the day she cracks up again.

There’s no point to this story; I just think of it every time I see those shoes.

@ kupo

There’s no point to this story

That’s my favourite genre of story.

I got thoroughly confused with this barefoot running thing because I assumed…well, the obvious. But then someone told me you actually wore ‘special’ shoes for it. But I can’t see what’s special about shoes you wear over your bare feet. Surely that’s just, you know, ‘shoes‘?

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

” in favor of rolling the right to vote back to white male property owners”

You left out “Christian”.

@Alan
They’re shoes that allow you to feel the flow of the Earth beneath you or some B.S. like that. I have flat feet, so I don’t want it to feel like I’m barefoot when walking (because ouch!), so I don’t understand the appeal.

Falconer
Falconer

It’s just a way to be snobbish and consumerist about exercise.

PaganReader - Misandrist Spinster

Like every single rock, twig, pebble, and all other detrius?

Pavlovs House
Pavlovs House

forgive the off-topic-ness fellow Mammothteers, but is there a thread active right now where the commentary has veered off into bread-making exploits? (I mean it’s not like a WHTM thread that does that is unique….)

Ms. Pavlov’s House is off working wonders of modern nursing and compassion on her patients while I am working on class preparation *but* a flatbread experiment is afoot….

@ kupo

Ouch, my sympathies.

I must confess I am quite a fan of barefoot. But the whole point is that you’re barefoot, and you get to scrunch sand between your toes or feel grass underfoot, it’s the airiness and the tactile feeling (although paganreader does rather elegantly illustrate how daft that is).

Wearing the special footwear though just seems to defeat the object. It’s like the worst of both worlds. I’ll wear footwear when necessary, whether that’s because it’s required socially or for safety. But the special shoes don’t even seem to supply that. If you want to avoid all the pointy stuff then why not just wear regular trainers?

@Pavlov’s House
I don’t think there’s one currently active like that, but I think these tweet of the day threads veer off-topic rather quickly so I wouldn’t object to bringing it up here. Others may have different preferences.

@Everyone re: “barefoot” shoes
I can kind of see the appeal after spending many summers wandering around barefoot through long-needled pine forests as a child. To be able to feel the ground without cushioning to dampen it, but not get poked might be nice. But then I still feel like that’s half the experience of going barefoot. Though the people who wear them run, and I cannot due to my knee, so maybe there’s a difference in running with these vs. trainers.

@ kupo

But then I still feel like that’s half the experience of going barefoot

Yup, and don’t forget tetanus jabs are free here. 🙂

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Banned

Of course not. Black people would still be going to college in that scenario.

Pavlovs House
Pavlovs House

@Victorious Parasol

Wow, does the Schoolhouse Rock thing bring back memories…that is so cool that you posted that. But listening to it again I noticed something I sure didn’t as a kid: in the beginning the song lyrics don’t exactly quote the first words of the preamble. Instead of “We the People of the United States, in order to….” they just have “We the People, in order to….” Maybe that makes the song work better? But having that “…of the United States…” in there has been something that, over the years, commentators [I thought for ex. Lincoln in the First Inaugural, but I don’t think that’s correct] have thrown back in the face of Secessionists and Confederate apologists, who (like Davis) tried to justify what they did by saying the Constitution was a compact between states (implying you could withdraw from it) but *nope* the Constitution doesn’t come from the states, it comes from the people of the United States so (especially with the Supremacy Clause in there too) the Union is indissolvable. (Did I spell that last word correctly? Doesn’t seem like it. Is that the wrong word?)

Pavlovs House
Pavlovs House

@kupo

Thanks. I’m trying to do this really simple thing I found where you take oatmeal and a baked sweet potato and a little salt and smash it all up with some liquid and then make a flatbread from that. I’m not sure I understand how that’s not some kind of potato cake (?) but I’m going to see what happens. I don’t usually do this but I figured what the hell. I’m working on my War of the Spanish Succession class. (yes, that is a non-sequitur, I know.)

As for the whole barefoot shoes thing, I don’t get that either.

I do heavy squats, power cleans, and snatches in just my socks because I don’t have any weightlifting shoes and my running shoes are too padded for to be able to ground my heels enough to squat heavy without my upper body bending forward too much (which it does if I don’t ground my heels). So maybe I ought to get some flat-soled shoes but I don’t think it’ll be “barefoot shoes”!

@ dalillama

You’ve just reminded me that I meant to send you details about this programme if you can view it. Some great music, but also the history and context. The bit that springs to mind was Rick Hall talking about recording with Aretha Franklin whilst Governor Wallace was literally across the street giving his speech on the courthouse steps.

@Pavlovs House
Interesting! I’d love to hear the results. I’ve seen sweet potato flour but I haven’t purchased it yet as I’m not sure what I would make with it. I’ve heard sweet potato rolls are delicious, though.

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

Pavlov: I think you’re going for indivisible or undissolvable, but the dictionary police are off trying to work with Trump this week, trying to reduce his violence to imprisoned words.

Pavlovs House
Pavlovs House

@GrumpyOldSocialJusticeMangina

Yes, undissolvable — that’s what I meant. The secessionists thought they were dissolving the union between their states and the other states but the Constitution does not comprehend the legality of that at all, seeing as it’s not a compact between the states in the first place but rather an instrument of the people of the United States. That’s what I meant.

@kupo

Well, the first two are out of the oven. One of them was more like a cracker, I guess because I timed it just right to be like that based on how thin it was. (It was spread thinner in the pan than I wanted — I was just making sure it wasn’t too thick). But I managed to watch it just right so that it was cracker-like without being burned. It was actually pretty tasty that way even though it’s not exactly what I intended. Not sure if I can replicate it. The other one is very slightly thicker and is cooling now and hopefully will be more flat-bread-y but not doughy inside. (Meanwhile the broiled steak came out just fine though!) We have to push one of those big weight sled and do 8 zillion pushups in my gym class tomorrow so a little more carbohydrate calories beforehand and lots of protein afterwards will be a good thing. I figured why not make the daily carbohydrate opportunity a fun one.

Pavlovs House
Pavlovs House

@kupo

Yeah, if you try something with the sweet potato flour definitely post a report next time the WHTM commentariat goes full-on breadmaking

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Now I want sweet potato fries.

@Pavlovs House
The pita bread I used to make before I couldn’t have wheat anymore was just Lavash dough rolled out a little thicker, so that makes sense that your flatbread would turn cracker-like. Sounds interesting. 🙂

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

@Kupo: just read the Seattle forecast (my father-in-law lives a bit north, Lummi Island) — you have my sympathy

Jesalin
Jesalin

This is why I always roll my eyes* when certain types of people bitch and rant about ‘progressives’.

*I usually end up rolling snake-eyes, especially when I need sixes.

Viscaria the Cheese Hog
Viscaria the Cheese Hog

Jessalin, this has nothing to do with anything, but I just have to say how pretty your kitty is. What a pretty kitty!

@GOM
Did you see in the forecast that the current weather is “smoke?” Everyone’s found that odd for a weather forecast. The wildfires in BC are producing a haze thick enough to cool us off a few degrees from what was forecasted. It’s still way too hot, but it will improve in a few days, so I’m not too worried.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

RE: Barefoot shoes

Sounds like exactly what Falconer said.

I do understand the appeal of walking on fairly soft surfaces like sand or grass, but has anyone here ever stepped on a bee?

Also, there are reasons for the support athletic footwear is designed to provide. I had bunion (they’re hereditary, thanks Mom) surgery on my feet, some seven years ago. My feet have metal pins in them, post-surgery. The areas around where my bones were realigned, now swell up after exercise, and walking is a big part of my routine. My feet also aren’t as flexible as they used to be, probably due to aging as much as the surgery. I would be in a little pain after a long walk, without the support of a good pair of sneakers.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

EDIT: I meant “walking BAREFOOT on soft surfaces”

Robert Walker-Smith
Robert Walker-Smith

I’ve been wearing Birkenstocks sandals for over twenty years now. One of the things that amuses me is how my husband’s feet are long and narrow with pointy toes all smushed together, while mine are so broad they’re almost square, with toes so widespread my big toes are almost thumbs. I can easily pick things up from the floor with my feet.

Sweet potato and oatmeal flatbread sounds great, especially since we are currently well stocked on both. The current campaign to increase vegetable and whole grain consumption at home is going well. I’ll be looking out for recipes.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Robert,

I have fingertoes too! I think they’re pretty fugly, but it is handy to be able to grab things with them. I have a light fixture/ceiling fan over my bed that has chains dangling from them to turn the lights and the fan on and off. Sometimes when I’m lying in bed and want to turn off the light, I just stick my leg up in the air, grab the chain with my toes and turn it off.

Lucrece
Lucrece

Re: going barefoot, ‘barefoot’ shoes, and shoes in general, if you want to get a different perspective (and even get fired up over the number of women asking to have their feet surgically modified to fit into fashionable shoes better), try this episode of Freakonomics

(I would add that as a fat woman with a dodgy right knee, I very much like my highly supportive shoes!)

Banananana dakry: Fat, Short-Haired, and Deranged
Banananana dakry: Fat, Short-Haired, and Deranged

I bought a pair of New Balance Fresh Foam running shoes on clearance a few weeks ago for work and they… are awesome, especially with silicone heel cups in them. They’re light, they breathe well, they’re very flexible, the sole is not super high, and they have a bit of an arch and most of the padding is in the ball of the foot. I can feel the ground better and my feet can compensate for any irregularities in it with the flexible sole. I stand on concrete for hours and these damn things allow me to spread my toes out for more balance which is great for small feet. I’m also not constantly fighting the soles’ and my ankles’ ongoing campaign to roll under and kill me, which is something they’ve been trying to do since I’ve been single digits. Putting the heel cups in there makes living with heel spurs liveable. So I don’t know about barefoot shoes, but low profile shoes with toe room are a godsend for at least some people.

I dunno why I posted this other than to rave about the first pair of shoes in years that hasn’t actively tried conspire with my weak ankles and et tu Brute me.

Girl who runs with scissors
Girl who runs with scissors

I do Tai Chi barefoot – but it can be tough on unheated floors through the winter months, so I have thought about getting a pair of “barefoot” shoes to get me through Jan and Feb next year.

Also, it would be nice to do Tai Chi in the park without worrying about dog faeces and broken glass, seperately or [gulp] together.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

As a kid I spent much of my summers barefoot, generally on lawns, in a quiet suburban community. I had like, one local friend and nothing much to do. Sometimes we ran a short length of gravel road and shouted out just for the sensation.

@ arctic ape

we ran a short length of gravel road and shouted out just for the sensation

I love that feeling. I’ve got some sandals with like spikes that replicates it. It does get almost addictive. Presumably it’s some sort of nerve stimulation or endorphin thing.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

I, um, may have accidentally done a handstand on a bee once (well you wouldn’t do it on purpose). Does that count?

occasional reader
occasional reader

Hello.

Hmm, Scott Adams speaks about himself with the third person singular ? He thinks himself as Cesar or Alain Delon ? And what with the pope miter ? Holier than thou ? Or playing the Bishop on the so-called Trump 4D chessboard ?

Have a nice day.

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

Have a nice day.

One of Dogbert’s running gags was being the Patron Saint of Technology, complete with a little miter and a scepter he used to beat out “the demons of stupidity.”

comment image

It was funny in 1997.

bluecat
bluecat

Re: “added later” – like the, um, USA itself – not to mention the vast majority of its citizens.

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

Yeah, as far as sneakers go, for me it’s New Balance or nothing. I have wide flat feet that most shoe companies don’t design for. I bought a new pair of NBs before my Washington trip last month and they were a godsend. Funnily enough, when I was at the Annapolis Naval Academy, a group of midshipmen were marching past the museum and they were wearing white New Balance sneakers too.

If it’s good enough for the US Navy, it’s good enough for you. 😛

Dressier shoes, I go Rockports or Clarks. Either are solid choices for the flatfooted.

PreuxFox
PreuxFox

Regarding barefoot running, my understanding is that it’s actually a lot better for you. When I told my doctor that I mostly exercise by taking walks/jogs, she wanted me to spend at least half an hour every weekend running or jogging barefoot (actually barefoot) on a treadmill. She said it would correct my posture and help my back.

I don’t have a treadmill at home so that’s not happening. I hear these ‘barefoot shoes’ are supposed to have the same effect.

K.
K.

I just discovered a recipe for yam/sweet potato cakes with black beans and ginger that I need to try out actually…

Helix_luco
Helix_luco

People running with conventional running shoes on generally tend to have a slightly different gait than they would if they were running barefoot.

They tend to have their foot strike the ground at the end of a step by having their weight come down more on their heel, where a barefoot runner has their foot strike come down more towards the ball of the foot. There’s some evidence that the latter method is less prone to injury. These barefoot shoes probably do away with a lot of padding so that the rough heel strike feels less natural.

(A person can train themselves to use the barefooted gait regardless of shoes, but ease into it if you aren’t used to it, or you can really mess yourself up)