alt-lite alt-right evil SJWs misandry MRA twitter

Just William Shatner yelling about “misandry” on Twitter

William Shatner is shocked by some of the things you ladies say and do

By David Futrelle

It’s not exactly news that former space show actor William Shatner can be something of a dick. And in the year of our dark lord 2017 all dicks end up on Twitter, so it really shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone that Shatner has been acting like a dick on Twitter.

But I have to say I was a little bit taken aback to see Capt. Kirk adopting not only some of the opinions but the lingo of the terrible people who congregate in or around the Alt Right. In a series of recent tweets, Shatner has railed against so-called SJWs and castigated his opponents as “snowflakes,” a term that seems to have almost replaced what seems to have been his previous favorite patronizing putdown, “sunshine.”

He’s also picked up one of the favorite terms of the Men’s Rights movement: “misandry.” He started using it earlier this year, slipping it into his disquisitions on the evils of political correctness and feminism and whatnot.

Needless to say, his thoughts on the subject are not particularly enlightening, consisting mostly of assertions that “misandry exists.”

He is also keen for his Twitter followers to know that, yes, he in fact sometimes uses the word.

Tweets reiterating these two points pretty much make up the entirety of his commentary on the evils of misandry.

I look forward to his further contributions to misandry theory.

abars01
abars01

Would I be right to assume he’s not keen on the upcoming series?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

No wonder George Takei didn’t invite him to his wedding.

Ms Vanilla Rose

People say that the original series of “Star Trek” was a great leap forward for characters who weren’t white and male. And I’m sure they have a point, but it’s still mainly about white males, mainly Kirk. Non-white characters were liable to get turned into geometric shapes to stop them getting the way of white characters doing stuff, Kirk snogging alien women, etc.

Bina

Shatner: the drunk, snowflake uncle of Star Trek. And also, apparently, Twitter.

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

Whatta irrelevant doof.

That is all.

Freemage
Freemage

Ms. Vanilla Rose: This is probably one of the biggest lessons I’ve had to hold onto. The hard truth that I have to accept as a progressive is that someday, if the movements I support are successful, my current self will be considered fairly appalling. I can only hope that, at that time, I will have the wisdom to agree.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

George Takei

“It’s pronounced Takei, Bill. Rhymes with toupee.”

Ouch.

AliBoBali
AliBoBali

Seriously, Freemage, that’s like the deepest and sweetest human sentiment I’ve read in some time. πŸ™‚

History Nerd
History Nerd

George Takei always hated William Shatner, including back in the 1960’s.

Leonard Nimoy said in earlier interviews (the 1970’s to the 1980’s) that Shatner was very difficult to work with and thought he was smarter than everyone else (possibly because he had a bachelor’s degree from McGill University*). Nimoy said almost everyone else on the cast and crew couldn’t stand Shatner. They still resent having to appear with him at Trek conventions. Patrick Stewart or Kate Mulgrew would be much better.

*He ended up as an actor and his degree was in economics. Impressive, but not really relevant to his career.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

I never watched Star Trek but I’m familiar with the celebrities. I had no idea Shatner was such a dick, the more I google this man the more I dislike him. He seems like the Rush Limbaugh type of asshole. Straight up stealing lines from other co-stars because he was insecure and female fans liked Spock better??? What in the actual fuck?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Shatner must be so bitter that Nimoy and Takei are beloved and Shatner really isn’t. Everyone loves Patrick Stewart more as far as captains go.

Ray of Rays
Ray of Rays

Suddenly Tim Allen’s character in Galaxy Quest makes so much more sense.

Full disclosure: I started with Next Generation. Patrick Stewart ’til I die.

Scolar Visari
Scolar Visari

Further evidence that Picard was the best captain . . .

Right after Sheridan, of course.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

I had a friend request on facebook a couple of months back from another elderly actor called Derren Nesbitt. He was in a lot of cult TV shows including UFO, Space 1999, Danger Man and The Prisoner (which is the fandom I am associated with). I was actually really flattered that he sent me a friend request, and so was another one of my friends, and so I accepted it. However, it wasn’t long before he showed his true colours and started posting rants, alt right stuff and crazy conspiracy theories. Then just before the election he started on Jeremy Corbyn and cultural Marxism, so I had to block him. It was a weird thing to do, to block a celeb, but he really wasn’t a nice person πŸ™

Grogepi
Grogepi

You know what else was real Captain Kirk? Gene Roddenberrys funeral, you narcissistic waste of protein-strains.

Falconer
Falconer

I’m sorry to learn that Shatner has been saying all this terrible stuff. My fault for starting to think he was okay.

I’ll defend non-philanderer Jim Kirk till the day I die. The pop culture idea of him as a womanizer is an exaggeration … that was frustratingly included in the reboot movies.

There are 70+ episodes of TOS and in less than a quarter of them does Kirk have a love interest. By far the most of any of them.

History Nerd
History Nerd

TNG is generally regarded as more “leftist.” It’s made clear that the United Federation of Planets doesn’t have a currency, access to housing and food is universal, you get what you need based on what your job is, and the military’s purpose is scientific and defensive and the democratic government (usually) doesn’t engage in aggressive wars.

Moreover, the TNG shows at least try to depict the Federation as a post-feminist society (i.e., there’s no longer a need for a “feminist movement” separate from people not regarded as antisocial).

Falconer
Falconer

At a quick count, there’s 23 episodes featuring Kirk and romantic entanglements, ranging from Gary Mitchell’s “blonde lab tech” comment to Edith Keeper, and including sincere kissing, seduction, being coerced, and on one occasion, sexual assault, and even counting Miri despite “ick.”

DMW
DMW

All I can picture is Shatner slamming his hands down on his desk, screaming “NOTICE ME! I AM STILL A RELEVANT CELEBRITY! NOTICE MEEEEE! WHY DON’T YOU LOVE ME LIKE YOU LOVE PATRICK STEWART?”

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
kupo
kupo

@DMW
This, plus I also picture him hung-over in his tighty-whities, thanks to Galaxy Quest. I might have to watch that tonight.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

So, the whole state is a sundown town, basically.

Dan Kasteray
Dan Kasteray

To make myself feel better I’m writing fanfiction where Bill gets drunk and challenges the real Captain Kirk to a fight; in which he ends up unconscious by a freeway in LA without his toupee

Still Fiqah
Still Fiqah

Ugh. Go somewhere and let Pine happen…

History Nerd
History Nerd

@PeeVee

Also OT, but many people are unaware of what “bathroom bills” really do. They do require that people use the bathroom assigned for their biological sex in government buildings, parks, and state universities, and that’s bad enough. But they also make it illegal for any county, city, or town to make anti-discrimination laws stronger than state anti-discrimination law based on race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression.

That means the bill in North Carolina voided city ordinances that increased accessibility requirements beyond what the NC implementation of the Americans with Disabilities Act requires (including stricter Web accessibility standards that are post-ADA) or ordinances that made it easier for people in any protected class to sue for discrimination.

But hopefully we can get the discussion back to a lighter topic. I have cyclical depression and I need to keep my rumination under control. πŸ˜›

Dreamer
Dreamer

I live near Shatner. 2 stories: first at a restaurant I eavesdropped on people talking about him, saying he showed up early (to something important) drunk already with a woman younger than his daughter who he pawed.

Second, at another restaurant he was eating and 2 elderly women approached, one using a walker, asking him for an autograph and praising his work in Star Trek. He announced loudly: “I prefer . . . to be left . . . ALONE!” Next time I see him I’ll ask if he can get me Sulu’s autograph. POS. We all know it here near his horse farm.

History Nerd
History Nerd

Does he have any standard reaction to requests for Sulu’s autograph?

Austin Loomis

I own (paperback) copies of Star Trek Memories and Star Trek Movie Memories. When he recounts George Takei and Nichelle Nichols airing their grievances, he seemed to have genuinely listened and learned. Clearly, either he’s forgotten the lessons, or he didn’t actually learn them and those bits were written by Chris Kreski.

@History Nerd: I imagine it’s a lot like Harlan Ellison’s reaction to being asked if auto manufacturer Geo put him in their ads to make their cars look bigger.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

Maybe part of it is that Shatner’s trying to seem young and hip. Not that it in any way excuses his offensiveness. He is in his 80s now, I think. He always seemed like a self-important, pompous ass, to me.

He used to narrate a TV program called, I think, “Rescue 911”. This program featured real-life clips of exactly what the title describes – the police and paramedics swooping down on all kinds of traffic accidents and clusterfucks. His narration was ridiculously over-the-top. A late-night comic did a funny impersonation of it, especially the way Shatner said, “RESCUE………………….9! – 9!! – 1.”

Viscaria the Cheese Hog
Viscaria the Cheese Hog

@Diego

I was watching the documentary that Adam Nimoy did about/in collaboration with his father called For The Love Of Spock. I haven’t seen the whole thing, but I did get as far as an interview with Shatner where he talks about Spock’s early popularity. He says he stormed into Roddenberry’s office, and R explained to him that Nimoy’s popularity was his popularity, since a popular character on the show would drive other people to watch and then they would experience the Wonder of Shatner. After that, he was (supposedly) okay with it.

What I thought was funny about this story is the way that Shatner presented it. It was like he thought it made him look really good, the magnanimous star who forgave another person for stealing what was rightfully his. Instead it was the story of a little baby man who threw a tantrum because somebody else was getting a little attention and only got over it when someone told him it was in his own self-interest.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Aight, imma just go for it. William Shitner. I said it, so y’all don’t need to

@PeeVee
Mizzurah? Racist hellscape? Not surprised…

LaterSpaceCowboy
LaterSpaceCowboy

God DAAAAAAMN, @weirwoodtreehugger

That’s one sick burn. Shat is still butt hurt years later over the Takei wedding XD

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

@Axe: all things considered, I think Shatner (past tense of Shitner) is the correct form.

dslucia
dslucia

You know, as much as I do like TOS, I’ve always enjoyed TNG and DS9 more, not least of all because of Patrick Stewart and Avery Brooks.

I’m just glad that Mark Hamill is a pretty cool guy from everything I’ve seen and heard.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

Complain all you want about misandry, Captain Kirk, but when a love interest shows up for you, the viewer knows that she’ll be dead within the hour.

Lumen8
Lumen8

I have always violently disliked Shatner. Just…. you know? He gave me that vibe. He has always thought he was the hottest shit. I’ve seen through that my whole life.

I don’t think it’s just because Picard was my generation’s captain that I think he’s amazing and Shatner pisses me off. (There are tons of reasons, but I don’t think I’m being that closed-minded.)

Shatner sux. Full stop.
What a jerk.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

Waitwaitwait.

Alll of this time… Could it be that Zapp Brannigan from Futurama is a not so subtle jab at William Shatner? Holy hell… I hadn’t realized the guy might be inspired on Shatner.

JS
JS

I’d like .. to talk to you … about Priceline!

Bina

@Grumpy:

Shatner (past tense of Shitner) is the correct form.

Please accept today’s prize of one gold-plated Internet. Or, in lieu of that, kitties:

Robert Walker-Smith
Robert Walker-Smith

It’s like I feel when I’m listening to the jazz station and Sinatra comes on.

Based on everything I’ve read, Sinatra was a flaming garbage person, but I can enjoy his singing. Doesn’t mean I’ll claim that he’s not a f.g.p. Shatner is an entertainer, and seems to have made peace with the fact that he is not regarded as an artist. When he pops off about things outside his wheelhouse, I dismiss it as easily as I do the perfervid prorations of Scott Adams.

Strangely, though, I feel badly about not enjoying Louis Armstrong’s singing, because he seems to have been a decent human being. I love his playing, but hearing him sing is like licking mint flavored velvet.

kupo
kupo

@Diego
I understand he’s a cross between Kirk and Shatner. The Lee-ee-ee-la song really made it obvious that there’s at least some Shatner in that character.

If you don’t know the reference, you’re in for a treat.

personalpest
personalpest

Doesn’t Shatner realize that the crew of the Enterprise were “SJWs” on a cosmic scale?

latsot
latsot

Patrick Stewart or Kate Mulgrew would be much better.

Everyone forgets about Avery Brooks. There were plenty of dodgy episodes of DS9 but toward the end it was great. And Sisko was a great character. He was the most complicated and interesting lead in any Star Trek series. And the less said about Voyager and Janeway the better.

kupo
kupo

@latsot
Heck, even Scott Bakula! Sure Enterprise sucked in some ways, but it was great in some ways, too.

AtlasSulked
AtlasSulked

Really. Shatner too? Fuck.

Guess it’s true what they say – never tweet your heroes…

Scifimaster92
Scifimaster92

Unfortunately, Shatner is not alone in this regard. Many male leftists still cling to the regressive notion that radfems and MRAs are two sides of the same coin, often using the same sort of language as the alt-righters. This is especially true in the rational/skeptic community, hence you’ll often see male individuals who are considered major figures in the movement dismissing radfems as little more than a bunch of irrational, stubborn, pigheaded man-haters.

JS
JS

I’d like to register my protest about the Rocket Man video… the quality actually got worse, contrary to the claims at the top of the video.

“I will be high [DRAMATIC PAUSE] [DRAMATIC PAUSE] [DRAMATIC PAUSE] as a kite by then”

Shatner admitted after ST:Generations he didn’t quite understand why ST was so popular. Then claimed that he had finally started understanding what it was about the community that encouraged people to join it. If he ever did understand it, he’s forgotten.

A lot of older white people don’t believe that racism is really “that much” of a problem any more, or are secretly in favor of keeping the PoC away.

In a lot of TOS eps it was gunboat diplomacy on a grand scale. The ones where an alien was saved by talking instead of shooting? Not many. Looked like post-scarcity meant no one in the Federation was oppressed, but look out if you were in any other star nation. Klingons: killed. Romulans: killed. GM Humans: abandoned, killed later. Andorians: killed. Tribbles: poisoned, beamed over to Klingons, probably killed. Harvey Mudd: Imprisoned on a planet full of his ex-wives.

Really not as SJW as it might look at first glance. Roddenberry? Yeah, in favor of inclusion and diversity. First white-black kiss on TV, yes. But TOS as a whole? I’m not so sure.

Robert Walker-Smith
Robert Walker-Smith

I just realized that Shatner is older than Jeff Sessions andDonald Trump.

For some reason, I wasn’t expecting that.

History Nerd
History Nerd

I believe someone who worked on Futurama said that Zapp Brannigan is a combination of a parody of Kirk and (real-life) William Shatner’s worst personality traits.

Shatner is 86. Very few celebrities stay relevant at that age. Most people are retired by then.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

Yet another reason to like Avery Brooks over Shatner.

@Robert Walker-Smith
Well we do tend to deal with younger bigots rather than the really older bigots like the members of FreeRepublic.com

1 2 3 4