twitter Uncategorized

Otterdance, hedgehog cake, and Chris Christie’s nachos: Today in Tweets

Get in mah belly

By David Futrelle

Good news everyone! Today’s lil Twitter roundup is almost entirely Trump-free! Instead, it’s got dancing otters, a creepy hedgehog, and Chris Christie cradling nachos like a mama gorilla. Also, some angry gamers and a weird new conspiracy theory about Obama.

Let’s get ready to twumble!

Damn, I could really use some nachos right about now. Nachos are awesome.

Hedgehog cake, not so much.

I’m still thinking about those nachos.

Amnesia
Amnesia

Actually, maybe it was more like…

comment image

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@Amnesia – So, he’s resigning to spend less time with his family.

@Gussie Jives – I remember 7th Guest. That maze still haunts me. “Feeling…looooooooonely?” I’d love to see a Let’s Play, just for the nostalgia factor (and to hear your take on the silly dramatic creepiness).

Lumen8
Lumen8

@Gussie Jives:

Well, I don’t know how people usually move (safely) out of the comments here to other avenues where they can talk privately, but if someone can tell me the best way to do that, maybe I can get a hold of you via Discord or some other method, sometime later and chime in on a test run for you. 🙂 Getting started’s the hard part, but you can do it, either way!

Ooglyboggles

OT:
Psychiatrist visit.

I’ve just got done visiting him again. He upped my antidepressant dosage due to my meds not being as strong and the badthoughts keep coming out. I’ve also talked to him about my trans issues. He believes that the reason I’m thinking I’m a woman as an escape mechanism from due to my severe chronic depression, kind of like how when people are sad they wish they had different jobs/parents/lovers/lives/etc. He did admit that he is a complete rookie when it comes to trans diagnosis, so he recommended me to see a psychologist on the matter.

I want to believe him that’s it’s all due to my depression, but I’m not getting the nonchalant feeling I get when I get advice from people more experienced than me. I’ll have to set an appointment with a psychologist to get the answers I need.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

Sorry to have to talk about this, but I am feeling pretty depressed and upset about myself, and when I feel this way I always manage to find something dreadful online to make me feel worse. I hate being a woman because I feel so weak, and I was shamed a lot when I was a kid for being weak. I wanted to know how much weaker I am as a woman than I would be as a man so I googled it and found this body building forum talking about how weak women are.
Now I feel even more wretched.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

This is horrific and upsetting and just reinforces everything I already believe about myself. I think about getting testosterone and putting things right, but my mum thinks it will make things worse and I’ll get bullied.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

kupo
kupo

@Virgin Mary
You are a strong person, regardless of gender or hormone balance. *hugs*

Edit: @Oogly
Working with mental health professionals is hard and it sounds like you’re doing a fantastic job. I hope you find some answers that feel right wrt the trans feelings. *hugs* to you, too.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Lumen8
I set up a Discord channel for the Mammoth for pretty much that purpose; it’s not terribly active, but the link in my nym should go there and folks can exchange PMs.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@Virgin Mary

My condolences about life’s stick deciding to pile onto you.

I’m not completely sure what to say. I rarely am.

But I can say this.

Weakness has many forms; and everyone has it manifest somehow, in some way.

I believe that forum spoke of physical weakness; and even then, while I don’t dare touch it with a thirty-nine and a half foot pole, there’s the question of what their sources are. Somehow, I have doubts.

But the fact remains, VM, that you’re so much stronger than so many people–most notably, the sort of people we generally read of here on WHTM.

I don’t know everything about you, but from what I can glean:

You’re strong in that you have chosen to exist in the face of adversity and absurdity.

You’re strong in that you seek the truth when so many other people seek lip service to lies.

You’re strong in that you not only realize that the truth is unpleasant, but have a wish to change that.

And most notably, you’re strong in that you choose to say when you are weak in some way, instead of hiding behind walls of lies and outright bullshit.

And that’s important–so you can admit it to yourself that you are fallible, and so you can admit it to others so that they may help.

There are many people that are not that strong.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Virgin Mary
There’s a strong pattern of encouraging physical activities for AMAB people from a young age, and discouraging AFAB people likewise. What exercises are ‘permissible’ for femme-designated people are all aerobic exercise, which is good for endurance, tone, and cardiovascular fitness, but crap for actually putting on muscle. AFAB people who engage in serious anaerobic weight training put on muscle and gain strength too. Most are starting from a lower baseline (because of previously noted patriarchy), but high weight, low reps=muscle and strength for everyone.

Ellesar
Ellesar

I don’t know if this is of any help at all, but I am a woman who goes to a gym (but not a bodybuilder, and I am 52), and I find that frequently I do NOT have to lower the weight on the machines I use. I am in some ways at least as strong as average sized men who are half my age. Also I have only been going for a month.

I have always had a strong build and I am pleased to see I can increase it even at my age, in such a short period.

Amnesia
Amnesia

Oh, dang, Virgin Mary, that sounds like absolute shit. *hugs if you want them*

I’ll just avoid trying to tell you my thoughts on the transgender possibility, cause it’d just be speculation at best and you sound like you need someone who really knows what they’re about right now.

As for that forum, ugh, that is an awful thread. Definitely wouldn’t take advice on how strong women are from any of them. Gross.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ virgin mary

In the words of Zaphod Beeblebrox I wouldn’t trust some of the ‘advice’ on that site as far as I could spit a rat.

I don’t want to fill up this thread with a polemic on the various types of strength training. But if you want to email me through David I can put you in touch with some (properly qualified) professionals who can give you some pointers. Short answer though, it’s bollocks that women are inherently weak. Dalillama has touched on some of the issues why there’s that perception, but it’s a myth that’s so very very wrong.

(General rule: if the default response to questions involving women is to immediately start suggesting rape, then they aren’t the people to be listening to)

Robert Walker-Smith
Robert Walker-Smith

Anyone who goes to a gym with someone who does not ‘work out’ and mocks them for not being strong is a blob of glup. Dalillama’s point is well taken; in our culture, women being physically strong is almost as stigmatized as women being assertively outspoken.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Virgin Mary

Going on T will definitely give you an initial boost as well; hormones aren’t totally irrelevant, and higher T correlates to faster muscle building and longer muscle retention. OTOH, anaerobic exercise (and to some extent all exercise ) causes the body to produce more testosterone from the adrenal glands, so there’s a nice recursive effect there. That’s totally separate from any external hormone therapies.

Sister Bat'leth of Rational Discussion
Sister Bat'leth of Rational Discussion

From Wikipedia:

In October 1927, the conductor Nikolai Malko challenged Dmitri Shostakovich to do an arrangement of [Tea for Two] after the two listened to it on record at Malko’s house. Malko bet 100 roubles that Shostakovich could not completely re-orchestrate it from memory in under an hour. Shostakovich took him up and won, completing it in around 45 minutes. His “Tea for Two” arrangement, Opus 16, was first performed on 25 November 1928. It was incorporated into Tahiti Trot from his ballet The Golden Age first performed in 1929.

So no, he didn’t write it, but that apparently was his arrangement of it.

Ellesar
Ellesar

Virgin Mary: had a look at the site and OMFG – so fucking toxic. Do not torment yourself.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Half of bodybuilding dot com seems to be ‘would you smash?’ threads and misogynist/homophobic/emasculating banter. If 4chan was swole and had a hobby. So, imma go ahead and doubt literally everything they say about women. And men. And all other aspects and facets of human life…

IgnoreSandra

@Ooglyboggles

I’m really happy you asked the question. You deserve truth, whatever that truth may be.

CN: Discussion of depression

Part of my issues with my life have included physical and emotional abuse, as well as depression. I’ve dealt with desperately running away from things in my head, and sometimes inventing elaborate fantasies so I could pretend that not everything is horrible right now. Like that my family cared about me, but w/e.

Some of those fantasies featured me as a kickass take-no-nonsense chick in some alternate world. The takeaway here is even if you’re being driven to this place by the severity of your depression, that doesn’t make this not the truth. It’s a bit of a recursive loop for some folks: Not presenting as themselves makes them depressed, depression drives them to imagine better lives where they are themselves, and the disconnect between how they see themselves and how the world forces them to act makes them depressed.

You’re strong for seeking the truth, and I hope you find it.

@Virgin Mary

Honestly, you’re willing to confront what’s bothering you and ask for help. That makes you the strongest person in the room right now.

Amnesia
Amnesia

Also, in my last job, apparently there were concerns from some of the teachers on how much physical labor I was doing to the point that I had to reassure my male coworkers that I would in fact tell them if something was too much for me, because I know my pride in being a strong independent woman isn’t worth getting injured over.

Also, my big strong male coworkers hated going up on ladders/roofs/the cherry-picker, but that was totally my jam, so, you know, strengths are relative.

Paradoxical Intention - Leader of the Deathclaw Damsels

@Mary: Don’t worry about those jackasses. They’re just insecure as shit and have to reassure themselves that the one thing they’ve built up for themselves is the thing that they’re the best at by tearing down other people who might be better than them.

@Dalilama: Hey, the link to the Discord chat isn’t working. It says it’s expired. :/

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Virgin Mary,

Bodybuilding forums tend to be an extension of the manosphere. A lot of incels frequent them. I know it’s easier said than done, but try not to take anything you see on them to heart.

Are you in a position to get a gym membership and have sessions at least once in a while with a personal trainer? If you are financially and physically able to it, a trainer can tell you what to do to build up muscle mass and get stronger.

Ooglyboggles

@Kupo
Thank you, I just hate this feeling of uncertainty, I hope that psychologist can give me an answer and calm me down. I already have enough of my mom not getting the fact that my meds = I stop getting thoughts of driving into the nearest semi, something like this is not something I look forward to explaining. Like for fuck’s sake she said “natural” was better than medicine and I could become dependent on my meds. No shit I am dependent on them, when I didn’t have them I couldn’t even get out of hed.

@Virgin Mary
Strength is you being able to overcome your fear of looking weak and ask for help. Weak is them belittling others to feel better about themselves.

@IgnoreSandra
Thank you for telling me I did the right thing. The problem I had with my visit was the fact that when I discussed my episodes of suicidal thoughts and how I acted, fantasies did not enter the picture. I act robotic, expressionless and over conscious of time when I’m really down, I can’t even fantasize even if I wanted to if I’m at the point where I got to call a hotline for my safety.

EDIT: “You have reach your insurance after business hours. We apologize for your visit taking so long by the time you could call we were closed.”

dslucia
dslucia

I went into the thread for that one where the woman mocked the transphobe and made them go off on a gamerbro rant, and holy wow, the number of OTHER gamerbros ranting in there… it really is amazing how easy it is to set them off.

Jesalin
Jesalin

@Oogly

I would agree with him there, because what he said was pure bullshit.

I don’t like to speak in absolutes but I seriously doubt that anyone tries to escape depression by being trans. On the other hand, being trans is a huge cause of depression.

Like for fuck’s sake she said “natural” was better than medicine

Oh dear…

If nothing else, if you can afford it or have coverage, you could go the Informed Consent route for HRT. If it doesn’t make a dent in your depression within about a week, it’s a hint that you may not be trans. Always a good idea though to be assessed by someone qualified to diagnose gender dysphoria.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Paradoxy
Dammit, I swear I set that to not expire.

Here’s a new one, I’ll update the link in my nym later so this post doesn’t get caught in moderation.

@Oogly
I’m terribly sorry, I missed your post when I was commenting earlier. (I’ve not had a great day for reasons relating to being trans either, I’m still pretty pissed off and not focusing right)

comment image
[Image: Madeline Kahn saying ” it-it- the f – it -flam – flames. Flames, on the side of my face, breathing-breathl- heaving breaths. Heaving breaths… Heathing… “]
Seriously, do not take this quack’s word on fucking anything. And I don’t just mean not anything related to trans stuff.

Then he should have said that up front, and not the rest of it.

He’s so full of shit it’s leaking out his fucking ears. Seriously, that’s some fucking Ray Blanchard level bullshit.

Yes, that’s how chronic illnesses fucking work, innit?

@Jesalin

I honestly have to disagree, mostly on account of what supposedly counts as ‘qualified’.

Haise, the husky puppy
Haise, the husky puppy

@Mary

*BIG Hug*!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto’ing everyone else’s opinion on body building forums like those. They’re mostly toxic, always thinly veiled behind “lolol trolling u guys im so funny lets trigger more ppl” after posting a thread like ‘rape women bc they’re all weak and the pathetic gender’ (Tired of the ‘troll’ excuse to spit their bigotry tbh) I know I’m weak as shit and should start lifting at least.. But it’s those types of guys who are probably at the gym alot & I want to stay away from all of them at all costs. Preferably forever.

Also.. Never, ever read the comments on any game of thrones clip on youtube. Had the misfortune of falling down the rabbit hole today on watching a clip of S7 when Euron fought Yara’s crew and the Sand Snakes. And everyone is cheering on Euron for *sexist&homophobic spoiler reasons.. It’s sickening. Didn’t like the Sand Snakes in the show than in books. But being in the show fandom for so long.. I’m not surprised at the ugly reactions, I’m just tired of it. (After reading the books, I know not to cheer on Euron because he’s terrible in every, single, terrible way.)

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I get sick of the fandom praising Euron because he’s got funny one liners and rooting for him even though he’s a rapist, molester and gleeful murderer and then turning around and acting like Sansa is the most horrible person ever because she doesn’t respect Jon’s authority enough.

JS
JS

Just don’t be scientifically minded, and then go read the comments on any “climate change is real” posting. Or anything posted by the Republican @HouseScience Committee twitter account.

Posts WSJ opinion pieces with commentary showing less awareness of science than the originals on the WSJ.

(Generally controlled by Rep. Lamar Smith (R) who has provided a poor example to Texans since taking office.)

Especially don’t bother reading “State of Fear” by Michael “Everyone has an agenda, except me” Crichton. As an adventure yarn it’s interrupted every few pages by bar graphs of cherry-picked data. Reading that book, I experienced an extremely unusual desire to throw it away before I finished it.

Haise, the husky puppy
Haise, the husky puppy

@WWTH

People root for him too because he’s perceived as the one who is bringing back masculinity for the show. Because he enthusically kills, rapes and makes quick one-liners. That’s what impressing them. Ugh.

MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)
MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)

Moggie-He was fired 16 days before he even started?!?! I thought I was bad at holding down a job and I was let go after 2 days from my last one. And that was only because it was a VERY short term contract through Hays and I was simply an extra pair of hands who was not needed after that. But to be fired 16 days BEFORE starting work takes very special skills. Man, I am smirking so hard right now. 😁

e maguire

I turned 21 in just over a month. Guess what cake I’m going to have.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Just woke up and my brain hasn’t fully turned on yet, but for what it’s worth…

@Oogly

Yeaaaah I’m pretty sure you should stop listening to that psychiatrist right now. I mean, save for the “go see someone else” part.

I may have mentioned how an idiot psychiatrist who thought he knew my issues better than me ended up making them worse with seriously inappropriate medication. As a general rule, any asshole who dismisses your concerns as “just your depression talking” has no idea what your concerns are and what depression is, and doesn’t give a flying fuck about either. And I’m gonna repeat what I said the other day : much more likely your depression is caused at least in part by gender issues rather than the other way around.

Have a hug and please go see someone else.

@Virgin Mary

I don’t really know what to tell you except for what’s been said already : don’t listen to any of that bullshit.

And have a feeble hug from my weak-ass self.

For what it’s worth, you come across as strong to me, muscle or not.

Tosca; Chaos made Flesh, Servant of the Purring Jew
Tosca; Chaos made Flesh, Servant of the Purring Jew

This morning I’ve learned that the Otters See a Butterfly video is significantly improved by the addition of some Shostakovich.

ACCURATE!

MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)
MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)

Virgin Mary-I agree with the others. Just stay away from such forums, they are very toxic places. They are very much part of the manosphere and the people who frequent them have very distorted view on women. Also, people on those sites (and society in general) tend to have very sexist attitudes regarding the physical capabilities of women and how they compare to the physical capabilities of men. Sure, men are bit bigger and a bit stronger than women, but not by much. We are a sexually dimorphic species, but we are hardly sexually dimorphic at all. These men like to think that they are big strong, terminators, while women are weak little mice. Nothing can be further from the truth. Men are on average are only about 15% bigger than women. Compare this to other great apes, orangutans and gorillas for example. The average male is twice the size as the average female. Also, even with a lot of testosterone, pound for pound, a man’s muscles are only 5% stronger than a women’s muscles. Men have more upper body strength, but not that much more than an equally trained woman. Most studies that compare male and female strength differences do not ensure that their participants are equally trained. Another interesting tit bit, is that testosterone limits muscle endurance. They simply tire out faster. They can lift more than women, but they can’t do as many repetitions as women. Sorry for being so long. This has been a sore topic for me since I made the mistake of reading the comments on the Like a Girl ad campaign by Always. So much toxicity! TL:DR-men are a bit bigger and stronger than women, but not by very much and women have more endurance to make up for it.

REFS:

AngryWarthogBreath
AngryWarthogBreath

I shouldn’t be posting because I’m at my Star Wars Edge of the Empire game, but speaking as a Youtuber-to-be I’m interested in all the YouTube being mentioned here, and speaking as a human being I agree that Oogly and Mary have been given very bad advice by very bad people. Depression, as Wheaton says, lies.

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

Wow, that bodybuilding forum is misandric.

That’s not to say that it isn’t misogynistic as well, the two usually coexist, but… wow. It’s rare to see that much misandry, that naked, all in one place.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Speaking of tweets, and related to the discussion we had a while back about black Romans in Britain, Internet spat on the same topic. Don’t really know who’s who but it’s quite funny.
comment image

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

OK, so who gets to have the fun of telling them that (spoiler warning) the original Terminator was killed by a woman, and the baddest, most dangerous Terminator thus far seen was portrayed by someone named Kristanna, rather than by someone named Arnold?

kupo
kupo

@e maguire
Happy almost birthday! Is it hedgehog cake? Because hedgehog cake looks pretty amazing to me.

Jesalin
Jesalin

Re:Psychiatrists

As far as I’m concerned the vast majority aren’t worth bothering with. They seem to have a habit of thinking they know everything. The amusing thing is that I wanted to get into that field (though as a psychologist). If I had have figured out my issue(s) sooner, I might have been able to.

@Dali

I’m sorry to hear it 🙁

I can understand that. In this case by qualified I mean my version of qualified rather than what tends to pass as qualified, if that makes any sense.

Jesalin
Jesalin

OMG I just remembered that now that I have my Imgur account dusted off I can post some pictures of my lovely Aurora!

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Interesting article about lefty self defence. Features Suffragettes and Panthers (both Black and Pink).

Falconer
Falconer

Man, I wish the worst thing David had to report on this site was “Some men denigrate the physical strength of all women in order to shore up their fragile egos!”

@Virgin Mary, I am sending you so much love and support right now. I don’t know why some men rely on tearing others down so much, but it’s a terrible thing to do and I am trying to teach my son better.

Jesalin
Jesalin

Aaaand..it looks like it didn’t work 🙁

It showed on the preview/edit.. :/

Lumen8
Lumen8

@Alan:

Paul Joseph Watson makes my teeth itch. Ugh.

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

@Virgin Mary, I hope that you will find some calm soon, to help you think on how to go forward! I wont’ tell you that your physical strength is irrelevant – relevance is decided by you, not by someone else, so if that’s something that bothers you, it’s worth your attention.

You don’t get to choose who you are, but you do choose what path you take and how you navigate into the future. The person you will be tomorrow is under your control. Start small. Take little nibbles of the problem. Start doing pushups – perhaps that would be a good experiment for you. XX or XY, your body can and does produce testosterone. Get it making some and see how it feels?

You could stack on that by doing things that are socially male-coded. Like, instead of buying agendered clothes, go find something specifically male coded and try it on. Get a button down shirt and tie and wear it around in private for awhile. See if it gives you any relief or comfort.

My advice is bad and uninformed, but I’m sure whatever path you choose will be just fine. Don’t stress over the way things are today. Get excited about how things will be in the future.

That said, even though I don’t think much of my advice, I’ll stand by it for a year and a day overtop of whatever those d-bags said in that bodybuilding forum. There are some very sweet, kind, thoughtful bodybuilders and martial artists out there, no doubt about it – I’m friends with one. But the culture-at-large is horribly toxic.

Instead of me railing at them, though, watch HBomb take down a prominent one, and laugh at them!

(depression talk content warning! womp womp)

@Ooglyboggles, oh goodness, I am familiar with that feeling! I spent years as a nervous wreck because of my depression – still feel it sometime. I spent a lot of time driving, and every time I crossed this one bridge, there – well, there was a slope down to the riverbed that didn’t have a guard rail. More a cliff, really. Every time I crossed that spot it was like I had to fight to keep myself on the road. Light standards and power poles were similarly magnetic at times. It was not fun at all. More than anything else, that was a sign to me that I had to get out of there.

You can get out of there too, my duck, no matter what “there” is for you! Your situation will improve, I promise.

(that’s all of the depression talk!)

Your psychiatrist didn’t really give you good advice – and he admitted that to you flat-out. So you can smile and ignore it. One thing that psychologists and psychiatrists don’t often admit is that their fields are mostly guesswork. They’re trying to predict the state of an incredibly complicated system based on a tiny amount of investigation, and from that guess a way to poke that system to get a desired change. The models are extremely abstract and, beyond a few fundamental rules, very specific to the individual.

So don’t sweat what he said! You’re your best investigator here. You know the subject better than anyone else after all. Don’t be worried about not having an objective view on the problem, either. Your psychologist isn’t objective either. Human beings aren’t objective. Be patient with yourself.

Perhaps try something similar to what I suggested to Mary? Take some actions that naturally increase your estrogen levels, and do some things that are socially female-coded? There are foods that provide estrogen-like effects (soy/soybean, broccoli, cranberry, peas), and you could get a blouse to wear in private. Just to see if it gives you some relief from stress and makes you feel better.

Again: My advice is terrible and bad; you’re a clever duck, you’ll do what’s right. I think that’s the important thing here, really. Tomorrow’s unmade, Oogly. You won’t be the same you tomorrow, and your actions today will affect who you’re going to be. You’ve got complete freedom to push that in any direction you like. The depression is temporary and the depression is not a part of who you are. It’s just a temporary hitchhiker. Its stop is coming soon.

You’re both gonna be just fine, promise!

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

@Jesalin, when you’re linking stuff, try trimming the URL a bit before pasting it in! Look for the “.jpg” or “.gif” or whatever extension it is you’re working with, and then cut off everything that comes afterwards. Double check that it works when it’s trimmed before pasting obviously, but the wordpress stuff here doesn’t recognize trailing greebles on image addresses.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ lumen8

Paul Joseph Watson makes my teeth itch. Ugh.

Must confess I’d never heard of him until this brouhaha. (I know a Paul Watson, but he’s more into whales).

It’s a subject I have a bit of an interest in though; and I just thought it was such a nice little dig. 🙂