a near for men a voice for men aggrieved entitlement alt-lite alt-right crank magnetism entitled babies irony alert literal nazis men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA oppressed white men paul elam post contains sarcasm racism rape culture rape jokes

MRA grandaddy Paul Elam: Dogwhistling his way into the Alt Right?

Make Paul Elam’s Hair Combed Again

By David Futrelle

I thought I’d ease myself back into posting with a little note on a fellow we haven’t heard from in some time: Paul Elam, the celebrated founder of hate site A Voice for Men.

Elam, who announced his official “retirement” as a Men’s Rights Activist last year (it didn’t take), now presents himself as a men’s therapist of sorts, and an advocate for men’s mental health, despite having no professional training as a therapist and despite his support for Republican efforts to destroy Obamacare, which would of course deprive tens of millions of Americans (half of them, you know, men) of mental health coverage.

But the reason for this post today is the Tweet below, which was brought to my attention by the excellent @TakeDownMRAs on Twitter.

So is Elam trying, somewhat belatedly, to glom onto the Alt Right, the reactionary movement that has largely left Elam’s favorite reactionary movement, the Men’s Rights movement, in the dust? I mean, he doesn’t explicitly say he’s a white nationalist here, but he’s dogwhistling so loudly that you don’t have to be a dog to hear which way the whistle blows.

Elam has recently offered other, well, hints that he is broadly sympathetic to the Alt Right. He’s retweeted promo materials for an upcoming “Make Men Great Again” event headlined by prominent “Alt Lite” dudes Joe Biggs and Kyle “Based Stickman” Chapman. Biggs, a former InfoWars “reporter” and Pizzagate conspiracy theorist, regularly jokes about date rape and punching “trannys.” The Based Stickman, meanwhile, won fame in Alt Lite and Alt Right circles for, well, hitting leftists with a stick.

And Elam continues to retweet Indian “Men’s Rights” activist Amartya Talukdar, a Holocaust denier and literal Hitler fan (who also happens to be a plagiarist and marital rape apologist). (See here for my posts on this lovely fellow, who used to be a regular contributor to AVFM,  and Elam’s unwillingness to break with him.)

He also recently posted this weirdly racialized, or perhaps simply racist, meme:

I feel so bad for all those poor white boys whose dreams are being destroyed by black women! Or I would, were I a white supremacist.

Still, despite Elam’s earnestly expressed White Pride. he does continue to show some sympathy for individual black men:

And despite the Alt Right dogwhistling, Elam’s central focus remains the steadfast advocacy for men he’s long been known for:

Good old Paul Elam, forever and always a huge piece of shit!

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

I had almost forgotten about Elam until I saw his tweet today. Oh well. @TakeDownMRAs really is excellent, though :v

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

Elam can kiss my Hungarian-Polish-Russian ass.

That is all.

Aulma Frendzar Dèdd
Aulma Frendzar Dèdd

Many manospherians sympathise with the Alt-right. I’m not surprised at all.

LindsayIrene, Rioting Werebonobo

He’s trying so hard.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

That anti-marriage meme implies that no male astronauts, athletes, inventors or adventurers (whatever that means) are married. That’s a rather bizarre and easily falsified claim. There’s no evidence whatsoever that marriage has a negative affect on men’s careers. If anything, I think I’ve seen studies that show it has a positive effect.

Why don’t MRA memes ever make any damn sense.

Also, was Elam trying to incite his followers to murder Cosby’s victims? Cause that’s kind of what it sounds like. Given that many of the victims are younger than him and unlikely to all die before him naturally, I don’t know what else it could be.

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

“I am white. I am male. I am an American nationalist. Anyone doesn’t like it can….”

Yeah, whatever. What about those of us who don’t give a shit?

Anne
Anne

Lame Paul and the Dumpster deserve eachother…..

Ray of Rays
Ray of Rays

That dog-whistling is so inept, he’s basically forgoing the whistle entirely and just shouting “DOG WHISTLE” at the top of his lungs.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

Elam is expressing himself with his usual subtlety and class, it seems, which means none whatsoever.

Elam’s photo at the top of this blog entry…c’mon, surely he knows what a comb is? Maybe this is a superficial observation, on my part, but I KNOW what he’d have to say if he came across an equally unkempt photo of a woman. It wouldn’t be flattering.

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Agent of the FemiNest Collective; Keeper of a Hell Toupee, and all-around Intergalactic Meanie

Uhm, why would the black girl’s dream of marrying a rich dude mean that the white boy’s dream of adventure has to be denied? What does one have to do with the other?

personalpest
personalpest

Paul, it’s not peanuts that get embedded in your poop, it’s corn. (sigh) As if his insults weren’t stupid and juvenile enough already…

epitome of incomprehensibility

Paul Elam wrote:

I am white. I am male. I am an American nationalist. Anyone doesn’t like it can eat the peanuts out of my poop.

I’ve never heard that expression before. Though peanuts do tend to pass through undigested if you don’t chew them well. Perhaps we should tell Elam to spend more time chewing his food? Or anything that’d occupy his time besides tweeting?

On a more serious note, a few years ago I wouldn’t have imagined American nationalism would align itself so closely with racism. Guns and flag-waving, yeah, but not “white pride”, because after all, the idea of America isn’t about a particular “race” – right? Right?? 🙁 (I don’t know if things have gotten worse or I’m just more aware of them.)

OT, but I just heard on the news that Trump’s banning trans people from the US military. WTF. Why is this happening.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

@Imaginary Petal

I saw your comment on the blog entry, “The senate is about to vote! Call NOW to defend Obamacare!”. I take it to mean, you’re going to refrain from actively commenting for awhile. Too bad. I’ve always enjoyed your comments, and felt that you were able to offer a unique perspective on Trump, and Trumpism. I just wants you to know, your comments weren’t made in vain.

I’m not affected by the Obamacare vs. Trumpcare disaster, at least not directly, but I understand what a disaster it will be for all those millions of people if they get the rug pulled out from under them. I don’t really have anything new to add to the discourse.

Haise, the husky puppy
Haise, the husky puppy

Many in the manosphere sympathize with those in the alt-right and white nationalists because they hate the same things: poc, refugees coming, anything involving women, lgbtqa+, liberal-leaning folk etc. They spilt hairs on certain topics that differentiate them but in the end, they all hate the same.

Never surprised either when some mra (or mgtow) starts to talk about being pro-white, pro-“western civilization” anti-everything&everyone else

Waiting for the day for when these guys tire out but I’m afraid that day is still very far away. :/

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

I’m not the only one who read this:

He’s retweeted promo materials for an upcoming “Make Men Great Again” event

a little weird, am I?

Cleon
Cleon

Okay this has bugged me for a while: What in the world does ‘Based’ mean?

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

Every time I see Elam now, I am reminded of this wonderful rageguy meme a Mammotheer named Xardox did of Elam channeling Hunter S Thompson:

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Cleon,

It seems to mean super cool and bad ass. I’m not sure anymore what the origin of the term is though. I’m pretty sure it’s a 4chan thing.

BGHilton

Thing is, Paul, there has been massive inflation in the ‘outrageous statement’ market lately. It’s a buyer’s market, you know? And with your president basically trying to nationalise the industry, simply dishing out high-grade awfulness at the public expense… maybe you should move into a different business, is all in saying.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

The term “based” originates with the rapper Lil B. It was a term applied to him negatively – “debased” essentially. He applied it to himself positively, saying that it meant being true to yourself and being good to others.

As usual, 4chan distorted the positive meaning to apply it to anyone they especially like, regardless of whether that person displays the traits Lil B ascribed to it originally.

Nequam
Nequam

@LindsayIrene: Yes, he’s trying. Very trying.

Scolar Visari
Scolar Visari

@personalpest
I just assumed Elan had forgotten how to eat and simply swallowed peanuts whole, which would be a tremendous inconvenience on the way out butt just desserts.

Valentine
Valentine

What is ‘based’? I saw it before with cristina hoff summers – but before i dont care. But now i see it everywhere and it makes me angry 😁

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

Aw, little Paul Elam is super adorbs when he tries to act all badass.

And the hair! In their prime, the Beatles (the four mop tops) would’ve been jealous of the stuff on Elam’s head. Including Paul McCartney, the cute one.

Valentine
Valentine

Oh i just seen that cleon asked same question like me 😁 and Wwth answer! This is fucking stupid word to mean cool or badass. Why use this one? I dont understand why they selected this one.

JS
JS

High class tweet Eram!

Whoops, l and r got swapped on my keyboald, you know what I mean.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Look, I for one am of the opinion that the very best thing about Elam is that pic and his hair on it.

Of course that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he obviously stole the whole “look puzzled at the drunk friend taking your picture on a windy beach” shtick from me.

Bina

No thanks, Paulie. But since you’re so obsessed with coprophagia, and you obviously got no nutriment out of the nuts the first time ’round, I suggest YOU do it.

Podkayne Lives
Podkayne Lives

I assumed at first glance that both the children were girls, so it took me a second to understand the point. Upon understanding it, there is still so terribly much wrong with it:

Girls have no higher ambition than marrying rich and having children? I teach school. It is a very rare young woman these days who doesn’t dream of other things instead of, or in addition to, those.

Boys would achieve their dreams, except they get married instead? BS. Men don’t not become astronauts because they crumble and marry. Most astronauts are married men. (There was a cute picture of a NASA guy going around social media recently, cleaning his living room. He’d told his wife he missed vacuum, and she handed him the vacuum cleaner. The MRAs would die.)

Most boys don’t become astronauts or inventors or sports stars because most people don’t make it to rarified heights in different high-profile fields. That’s why they are, you know, rarified. Most children dream big, and most adults are a bit ordinary. That may be awful to think of, but them’s the facts.

And the race thing, I dunno.

Bina

Also, Paulie sure has aligned himself with some choice specimens. Based Shitman, for example, has a petty criminal record a mile long. Is this the kind of Big Dreamer that Paulie has in mind when he’s so busy slamming girls for dreaming of maybe one day getting married?

PS: Based Shitman is apparently married. I feel sorry for his wife.

Podkayne Lives
Podkayne Lives

Also, the number of young men I have taught who dream of someday marrying Beyonce suggests that dreams of rich hot people changing your life is not exactly limited to the female sex.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Things the girls I grew up with dreamed of :

Being a musician. (she’s in some rather prestigious orchestra now and is absolutely friggin stellar at it, but she’s married to a woman who undoubtedly held her back and prevented her from achiev… oh, wait.)
Rugby. (she’s a trainer now)
Writing. (that’s two novels published so far)
Sailing on a big boat. (I haven’t heard from her in a decade, so I dunno – probably just means she’s on said boat though ?)
Advocating for LGBT rights. (she’s achieved that as well as my undying platonic love)
Martial arts. (Alan, I wish I could introduce you, she could do things which I’m pretty sure defy earthly physics – and devised a system specifically meant for women’s defense when she was fourteen)

Folks, don’t look now, but I think Elam’s full of shit.

Jules
Jules

If civilization had been left in female hands, we would have no civilization. We would not even have the human species.

Um, should someone tell him…?

@Podkayne Lives,

(See if I got this to embed correctly.)

ETA: one of those links should work.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

To me, Elam’s hair doesn’t look “unkempt” so much as “carefully cultivated old man fluff”. That’s basically how Albert Einstein created the “scientist hair” meme.

Aside from the hair style, Elam looks disturbingly like my father, a great person.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Also, LOL at Elam trying to court respect from alt-right by defending white nationalism with grade school level word games.

I’m white. I’m Finnish. Therefore I can’t help being a White Finn*.

*Old political term for the rightwing side of Finland’s 1918 civil war.

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

I am white. I am male. I am an American nationalist.

“…but don’t you dare suggest that I’m calling myself a white nationalist.”

On the plausible deniability scale, this rates barely above Davis Aurini. Elam needs to work on his dog whistles.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@EJ

No wait, he used two sentences to get that message across. Like, two different sentences, even including proper punctuation ! No way those pesky libruls will see through it.

That’s about twice as much subtlety as his usual stuff.

Elam’s making progress. Give it another decade, and he might start sounding even smarter than Alex Jones.

misophistry
misophistry

Nice set of pubes he has there.

O/T – does anyone remember the first punitive law Hitler created to oppress the jews? I think it was to ban them from the military wasn’t it?

It really gets me in the Godwins that does.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ misophistry

does anyone remember the first punitive law Hitler created to oppress the jews?

Not quite the first, but one of the early ones.

Anarchonist

*Peeks in to see how the manosphere is doing*

Ah, Paul Elam. Still irrelevant, still as desperate to be seen as relevant as before. Oh, Paul. Fuck you.

Btw, I’m kinda disappointed that my browser spellcheck still doesn’t recognize “manosphere”.

Anne
Anne

I saw a post on AWfM a while ago about how awesome Trump is, written by Lame Paul.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

Don’t worry about Godwin’s Law. The clause that says you’ve automatically lost the argument is null and void until the impeachment or resignation, whichever comes first.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

I find that meme actually very upsetting. My mum was of the generation which believed that a woman’s place was in the home, and that she wasn’t expected to do anything other than marry well and keep house. She excelled at English at school, and went to grammar school, where she was picked out by a teacher to do secretarial training for a posh company. She did the first few levels, but when she has to go on an advanced course, it got expensive, and her father went ballistic and refused to pay for her to go. After that, she just did some temping and eventually married my father who was a company director, twenty years her senior. She was encouraged by her family to marry him, and it looked “ok”, she’d married up, but he really only wanted her as a housewife and skivvy, he had other women (and a man!) and treated her worse than a dog. He died in 1998, but Mum suffers from anxiety and depression, and now has Parkinson’s disease as well.
I’ve seen someone’s dreams trampled on, and it’s the women who get it worse because they are socially and historically conditioned to accept it.

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

I’m sorry to hear about your mum, Virgin Mary. That’s awful.

numerobis
numerobis

This is the only person I’ve ever met who really wanted to be an astronaut:

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Re: Astronauts

This is sort of appropriate for a blog about feminism.

When Tim Peake went into space he was acclaimed as the UK’s first astronaut. But the thing is he wasn’t. That was actually Helen Sharman.

The most bizarre thing was one of the TV news companies actually sent Helen to interview him.

“Now Helen, you’re with Britain’s first astronaut…”

The look on her face.

(Not just using that link because it points out she’s from Yorkshire, honest)

Aulma Frendzar Dèdd
Aulma Frendzar Dèdd

@Virgin Mary that’s horrible, I’m sorry to hear that. I hope your mom gets the proper care that she needs.

My mom went through some hardships as well. She used to play handball in highschool and was pretty good at it. The national handball team’s coach noticed her during a visit to the local handball matches and wanted to recruit her to play for the team. My grandparents didn’t let her though so her sports career was thrown into the trashcan.
She then tried to become a veterinarian, her second dreamjob, but she didn’t have enough money to continue the studies and my grandparents weren’t willing to give her money so that dream also got crushed. The money that she earned by working part time was barely enough to pay for her rent and food so she had no other option than to end the studies, student loans didn’t exist at the time.
My grandparents then pushed her to marry since she was getting closer to her thirties but the marriage only lasted for 4/5 years. She divorced my father because he took all of their savings, wasted them on illegal gambling and wasted his salary as well. He also loaned money from plenty of other people and stole from our neighbours. Eventually he got caught and ended up in jail. That’s when my mom decided to divorce him, realizing he was only putting her in trouble.
Me and her had to live in poverty for many years after that. Things are better now though, she is a successful chef and her clients love her. 😊

Lea
Lea

He’s telling white men who never realized their boyhood dreams to blame women and black people.

That is a strategy that usually works If you want to separate bitter white dudes from their money. I’ll give Paul this much, he’s dedicated to chasing that dollar. There’s no low he won’t sink to to get his hands on other people’s cash. He’ll happily kiss Nazi ass if he thinks it will get him paid.

1 2 3