announcements pledge drive

Thanks!! And also sorry!

Owwwww my head

By David Futrelle

A quick little update post.

First off, GIANT THANKS to everyone who’s donated during this fund drive! I can’t do this blog without you, and I appreciate everything you all do to help, whether your donations are large or small or if you contribute to the blog in some other way.

If you can’t donated yet, please do! Pledges are running behind what I need to cover costs, and every little (or big) bit helps!

I’m going to extend the pledge drive for at least a few more days, and will have another update soon. THANKS!

Second, sorry that posts have been light over the past couple of days!

As some of you know, I have problems with chronic migraines that can interfere rather severely with my productivity. Right now I’m in a difficult spot, trying (on the advice of a neurologist) to break a vicious cycle of rebound headaches by more or less going cold turkey on my regular migraine meds and all other painkillers, which means I basically have to deal with my headaches raw for now in hopes of fewer headaches in the future. Hopefully this process won’t take more than  a few more days, but until it’s over posts will be light.

I’ve also fallen behind on emails, but please keep on sending tips!

Thanks for understanding. Thanks for everything!

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Does anyone here make flatbreads?

I make a lot of chappatis. Does that count?

Lysistrata
Lysistrata

Whoah, no new post yet. David, I am sorry you are having such a hard time. I am doing some serious wishing for your better health. Or whatever it is that atheists do instead of pray.

Pavlovs House
Pavlovs House

@Alan

Well, if the Wikipedia article is accurate then chappatis absolutely count because the term comes from a Hindi word for “flat”!

I’ve been wanted to try something like that.

Way back in ancient days of yore when I was an undergraduate at university I had a summer job working in an American Revolution museum. They had an outdoor exhibit of a recreated encampment for a company-sized unit of the Continental Army circa 1782. We used it do some living history activities, one of the more popular of which was cooking in a field kitchen. We actually dug one…it was really cool. We made god-awful corn-meal “fire-cake” (a rudimentary and foul but perfectly edible flatbread)…people liked seeing it. It was easy to document and provided a really related-able example for the visitors as to the soldier-level effects of the logistic straights of the late-war Continental Army. Sometimes we actually ate it with our lunch just for the hell of it. (The one corner that we cut in terms of historicity was that we used modern commercial cornmeal….the visitors never looked close enough to see the difference…and it was clean and not maggot-infested.)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Hindi word for “flat”

Well that’s today’s fascinating fact taken care of!

Chappatis are easy to make. Just buy a sack of chappati flour (which lasts about a year even at the rate I go through them) and a chappati pan. That’s like a sort of round flat shovel thing.

You can also make them by slapping them on to the inside of a tandoori oven; but obviously that’s a bit of investment. Especially as you’re not supposed to ever turn them off (but with modern ones you can).

(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer
(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer

Holy shit, Dave! That sounds rough! Migraines are a real, well, headache! Hope you feel better soon with help of the kitties.

Wicked Witch of Whatever

Hope the new treatment works and you feel better soon.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

Man, he’s still not back. Shit must be rough for him right now.

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

Random topic, but a post on GamerGhazi had me curious. I’ve been tuned into this whole realm of garbage people versus regular decent people for a number of years, at least since GamerGate itself, but the origins of the term “SJW” have eluded me. I’ve seen quoted that it came from a Tumblr blog that catalogued other feminist Tumblr users who made use of the language of social justice as either a cudgel to beat others with or somehow weren’t sincere in their beliefs and were just doing it to look good (I guess “virtue signalling” in the parlance of the garbage people would be closest.)

Now, I only use Tumblr for dirty things, so I have no context for this origin story. It just struck me that for a term that seems to get bandied about the circles I travel with ever increasing frequency, I don’t know who this was meant to be applied to. Who were these original “SJWs” and what did they do that was so bad? For that matter, where did this stereotype about “Tumblr feminists” originate? People just seem to accept that stereotype as a given, but I’ve never encountered it. Any Mammotheers travelling Tumblr around that time have any idea?

@GussieJives
I think there was something to the original use of SJW.

There is a tendency on the left and probably elsewhere to criticise the things that disappoint us more. So for example, when Girls came out it faced a lot of criticism for not featuring POC or disabled characters, even while it was recognised as ground breaking for showing women who were flawed, unsuccessful, struggling and not all conventionally beautiful. And a lot of that criticism may have been justified, but it wasn’t directed at more traditional male led or conventional shows with anything like the same heat. Progressive people were more disappointed with Girls’ flaws than they would have been with the flaws of an averagely male-centric show of that vintage.

Similarly, it was very common on tumblr and left wing blogs for people to bite each others head off on the comments for not-including a certain viewpoint, or using a term that someone disagreed with even when it was almost certainly used in good faith, or implications that an authors privilege in certain areas invalidated their experience in others. I used to read a now-defunct feminist blog called Shapely Prose where the comment sections would regularly erupt over accusations the main author was too pretty or too hourglass to experience sexism or fat prejudice like other women and therefore the blog must be a crock.

A lot of this reflexive infighting died down about the same time Trump started campaigning. The disappointment element will always be with us, but some of the pettiness was inexperience with new kinds of politics, some of it was inexperience with the new internet forms of discussion, and a lot of it was the left eating itself because the real enemy seemed to entrenched, subtle and difficult to deal with. Trump and the alt-right are cartoonishly evil, but that also makes them easier to unite and fight against.

“Virtue signalling” on the other hand is mostly the only way the far right can understand altruism, decency or basic empathy. They don’t believe those things really exist, therefore it must be some kind of hypocrisy.

Katz

I’m also curious about the origins of this term. It makes sense that it would be linked to call-out culture and the like, but I’ve seen plenty of infighting on the left and I’ve never heard this term used. Has anyone else?

Wicked Witch of Whatever

If we’re talking explicitly about the term itself (and not the concept its describing) I only heard it when it was already only used by the right. But the Washington Post had an article about it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/10/07/why-social-justice-warrior-a-gamergate-insult-is-now-a-dictionary-entry/?utm_term=.bff471efa87b

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

But was it common enough to dedicate multiple other blogs to it and spark a backlash? I realize a lot of the jargon and parlance that we use is relatively new to young people who may not be using it correctly, but the way it’s talked about among users of the phrase (which I will of course take with massive helpings of salt), the rise of the “SJW” epithet was some kind of inevitability because there was just so much of it that there had to be a short-form to describe the kind of foaming-at-the-mouth buzzword-spewing Tumblr users that ultimately would be (unfairly) embodied in Chanty Binx.

I doubt the folks unironically flinging the term about even use Tumblr, let alone encountered any to whom the original phrase could apply.

Ironically, the term “virtue signalling” actually was meant to criticize those on the left who just voted Labour and didn’t do anything else (at least according to Hbomberguy who tracked it back to the source). Now it’s used in the manner you indicated, which as you said, is the only way the deplorables can wrap their heads about altruism.

Scolar Visari
Scolar Visari

@Gussie Jives
RationalWiki (and Wikipedia, cough) attribute the use of, “social justice warrior” as a pejorative to the title of a blog by Will Shetterly entitled, “Social Justice Warriors: Do Not Engage” back in the 6th of November 2009.

In the case of Mr. Shetterly, it was used to criticize people who, among other things, liked to dox people they didn’t like. The irony that quite a bit of doxxing was later done by people attacking alleged SJWs now should not be lost on us.

Though, to be frank, the word’s long since become another one of those many useless, overused hostile terms like, “liberal”, “cultural Marxist” and, “Fermi’s Paradox”. What better way to shut down a discussion than to simply throw a school yard insult and pretend it’s like some sort of mic drop? For example:

“Why liberal Cultural Marxist clowns look for aliens? Fermi’s Paradox!”

Croquembouche, poorly-dressed vandal
Croquembouche, poorly-dressed vandal

@ Scolar Visari:
Oh fuck, you spoke his Name! Is it safe to do so? Has he turned off his Google alerts and defensiveness, or is this Comment section about to be sealioned while David is out of action?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

“virtue signalling”

Isn’t virtue signalling a valid concept in sociology? Something about how people signal common values to potential like minded folk? (using virtue in the sense of characteristics rather than necessarily positive attributes)

@Gussy Jives
It was common enough to be really really annoying and repetitive and depressing and silly although I think angry blogs about it would have been just more of the same behavior. I actually gave up on comment sections for a while. I still think they are only worth it when well modded ( which is not always the same as heavily).

I never heard SJW used to describe that behaviour, or any fixed jargon actually apart from concern trolling but maybe I had given up in the period when people started developing those labels. To contextualise, the period I’m talking about people were writing a lot of introductory essays on privilege and intersectionality and lots of people reading the blogs were pretty new to those terms. I think a lots changed really quickly.

Gah. Just looked it up. Shapely Prose closed down in 2010, so well over a decade ago.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

“virtue signalling” is a perfectly fine term in sociology, as a description of a type of signalling. It describes doing something kind or altruistic as a social signal, often to indicate group membership.

This doesn’t imply that the altruism is insincere. We’re humans, humans signal for all sorts of reasons, and the fact that action X signals something to people doesn’t mean we do action X only to make that signal. Usually it’s more about how observers are socially perceptive, and are aware that the action indicates status or membership in a group. The actor is usually unaware of the fact that they’re signalling.

Of course, that’s not at all how the manosphere/alt-right/wtf-they-are uses the term that way. They’re just using it to denigrate any act of altruism, as was said above by the talented and clever @Wicked Witch and @Gussie Jives. In other words, they’re committing a division fallacy. That one’s particularly popular with those peeps, really.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

So I think I may have finally perfected sauteed red cabbage. I made it again today and couldn’t stop eating it.

Sorry, no pics, it went into my tummy too quickly.

recipe:

Slice 1/2 head red cabbage into thin slices. Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan, medium-high heat.

Now you need to ask yourself, How much do I like garlic? because this recipe will handle anywhere from zero garlic to about three cloves. Decide how much you like garlic and add the appropriate amount of minced garlic to the oil, and cook until it just starts to turn golden.

Add the cabbage and saute until it starts to get soft, about 3 minutes. Add 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 teaspoon ground mustard, and some salt and pepper (maybe 1/4 teaspoon salt but I never measure).

Continue to saute over medium heat until the vinegar evaporates and it starts to get a little sticky, maybe 7 or 8 minutes. At this point, because I’m not vegetarian, I add a little pat of butter to give it a creamy finish. If you’re vegetarian, you can just omit the butter, and it will still be sufficiently delicious that you, too, won’t want to stop eating it until it’s completely gone.

This recipe makes 1 serving. 😀 Well, okay, if you make it as a side dish, you’ll regret sharing, but you could probably spread it around 4 people.

Total prep time: about 15 minutes. Total eating time: about 10 minutes.

JS
JS

“I believe X to be true, therefore everyone should believe that X is true” is probably the “anecdotal” fallacy. Why I wanted to know this, I’m not sure.

I think it’s one of the many problems with politics these days.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Now you need to ask yourself, How much do I like garlic?

maximum garlic

maximum ultra-garlic

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

anywhere from zero garlic to about three cloves

Five cloves it is!

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Five cloves it is!

Well, it is half a head of cabbage. I’m sure it would be great with 5 cloves.

The original recipe didn’t even call for garlic, but after I had made it a couple of times (and tweaked it already) I thought, y’know, garlic improves everything, so I started adding some. It is MUCH improved with garlic, and the more garlic the better, IMHO.

kupo
kupo

Mmmm, garlic. I also lovelovelove leeks sautéed with my greens, garlic and butter. Mmmmmmm.

eli
eli

Too bad, it’s really a shame, but I’ll let you know that there are quite good butter substitutes that are entirely plant-based.

*wants to try now*

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

re: garlic

I personally adore garlic, but my mom’s slightly allergic–it doesn’t cause her any ill effects, but it does numb her tongue and taste bad to her (similar to me with black walnuts).

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

You should definitely try one then! But I’ll let you know that the butter was a late addition to the recipe and it works fine without it.

Tov01
Tov01

So apparently Trump turned the Boy Scouts Jamboree into a goddamn Hitler Youth Rally.

As a former Boy Scout, I find this down right infuriating.

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

So in fact sauteed red cabbage can be treated as a garlic delivery vehicle.Not a bad idea. The world does not have enough garlic delivery vehicles.

epitome of incomprehensibility

@kupo – ugh, that is so unsympathetic and petty. He does sound like the “ew, icky girls” type. “Uncomfortable” indeed! Cramps are not fun. A few weeks ago I couldn’t work one morning because I couldn’t stand up without stabbing pains (the cramps subsided, but I was sore for three days after). Now, this was my fault for eating a bunch of milk chocolate the day before; luckily I don’t have that bad period pains. But a lot of people do.

Note: according to some “Milk Nazis” this blog discussed, white people aren’t supposed to be lactose intolerant. I showed them, I guess? (Tolerance… intolerance… there’s a joke there somewhere.)

@PoM – Ooh, thanks. I love pan-frying things like onions in olive oil, and I like red cabbage, so this sounds excellent. 🙂

Also, hi everybody! I was very busy with work for a while, and am now a bit less so.

Pavlovs House
Pavlovs House

The culinary skills of the community here are amazing.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@Pavlovs House

Eh…I just made chili from ingredients in tins/packets. I mean, it was good chili, but not Pro.

(The family liked it, though.)

Ray of Rays
Ray of Rays

Speaking of, anyone have any advice on making broth?

I’ve been experimenting with boiling mushrooms (which I’m assuming is at least broth-adjacent) and mixing the water with instant chicken soup. But I’m also mildly lost about when to add other spices (pre- or post-), other vegetables I could use, or what else I can do with the near-broth afterward; currently on a program limiting me to veggies 40cal or less per cup, plus onions or garlic (limitation to be removed in a few weeks).

@ eli

Ooh! Such as?

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Ray of Rays

The plant based “butter” I use and am most familiar with, is made of oils (mix of palm oil, coconut oil and canola oil). If you’re in the US, look for “dairy free margarine” and you’ll probably find a few different options. I know that Earth Balance is one.

@Policy of Madness
Mmm, red cabbage. Will try your recipe out, with lots of garlic.

@Ray of Rays
Not sure if this meets your restrictions, but my broth base is French style – finely diced leek, carrot and celeriac (celery will do but is a bit stronger with the aniseed notes) gently sautéed in a little bit of butter or olive oil for a long time. When everything is soft and starting to brown add garlic and chopped parsley, stir a few more minutes and add water. You can tie a little bundle of woody French herbs up with string at this point and steep it like a teabag, things like rosemary and thyme, or just chop in in softer herbs like tarragon or sage. Grind in salt, pepper, other spices like nutmeg to taste. And then you have a base for practically any soup from whatever leftover vegetables (and presumably meats) you have, though I would also gently fry some soup ingredients like mushrooms before adding. I don’t eat meat but I’ve heard it’s good with leftover shredded chicken.

You can always just use a stock cube also. Not quite as nice but much quicker.

@Scildfreja. Interesting that it’s virtue signalling that was the useful now co-opted term! Thanks.

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

@PoM:
That sounds like deliciousness itself. I’m a low-garlic person but it sounds like it supports a sliding scale of garlic all the way from zero to Scildfreja.

I’m going to try making it with sultanas in place of some of the sugar. Sultanas in red cabbage are something I grew up eating and I’m very fond of.

@Ray of Rays:
I’ve had some success using leeks and celery in vegetable broth. Also, have you tried using a heavier soup base than chicken? I’ve had good results with lamb. It might not fit your current diet though.

kupo
kupo

Speaking of, anyone have any advice on making broth?

For a mushroom base I usually just take the liquid left from rehydrating dried mushrooms.

For a nice bone broth I do this:

1) In the evening of the night before I want the broth, put some soup bones in a crock pot and cover with water. Set on low.

2) The following morning, add oxtail and desired flavor veggies, plus any spices. I’m usually making a nice pho when I do this, so I use onions, lemongrass, star anise, peppercorns, cinnamon, maybe some daikon. If using strong herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage, etc. add at this point. Add more water if needed to cover the veggies and/or fill the pot and continue to cook on low.

3) If I’m using delicate hebs like fresh parsley I’ll add them 30 mins to an hour before serving. When ready to eat, remove solids using a slotted spoon and remove the fat using a fat separator. You may also want to strain through a cheesecloth to remove any solids. You can save the oxtail meat and add it into your soup or use for another purpose as well.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

O/T but you might find this nicely surreal. Remember a while back some people here helped choose the name for a new building development? In the end we went with Merlin Court.

Anyway, we ordered the relevant street signs; but they didn’t turn up. Just chased the sign makers. They’ve delivered them to the wrong address.

Yup, they got confused about the address, of a place they have literally made the street signs for.

That’s really tickled me. 🙂

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

As we’re on the topic of cooking, last night I made a weird, 75% improvised Italian/Japanese dinner. Basically, it was sliced (vegan) chorizo fried with chili paste and sesame oil, mixed with various leafy greens, alfalfa sprouts and pea shoots, fried until wilted, plus Japanese soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, shallots, and finally stirred into glass noodles. It came out fine, but could use some tweaking.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

Take whole cloves of garlic (only caveat – they need to be all the same size (ish) ), peel.
Immerse in olive oil in your smallest saucepan (trick: find something stable to wedge under the handle so it sits on your hob in a tipped-up position, to make the pool of oil even smaller. Unless you have the world’s tiniest saucepan, I suppose) and deep-fry as gently as possible, until the cloves are darkish golden-brown; they will be just getting crispy on the outside and will be smooth creamy mush on the inside.
Remove and allow to cool, and mince up fine.
Add to everything.
This makes mashed potatoes into heaven. It makes pasta sauce into heaven. It makes all savoury foods into heaven (especially with chilli flakes).
Also, it leaves you with a little garlic-flavoured oil to cook with, which is obviously a Good Thing.

Seriously, mashed potatoes. The first time, I couldn’t stop eating them.

Ellesar
Ellesar

‘Shapely Prose closed down in 2010, so well over a decade ago.’

Are you from the future?

numerobis
numerobis

Deep fried garlic — yum!

Costco has these giant jars of pre-diced garlic in oil. They really help increase the garlicification levels of our household.

In other news: my stuff is about to arrive! It’s really neat watching the barges creep in to the beach (we have no port, so the container ship stays offshore and unloads into a barge), then get unloaded by a forklift. It’s charmingly inefficient, particularly with how they can only do it around high tide.

Wicked Witch of Whatever

@Ellesar – no, bad phrasing on my part. The years I was discussing , when I was reading it and similar blogs, were well before it shut down – it was pretty defunct long before it was formally archived. Which doesn’t make me feel like a frisky young thing from the future at all. I think the pre-financial crisis culture gap is much bigger than I would have predicted, looking back at internet politics before 2008.

dreemr
dreemr

@Policy of Madness

I just wanted to say that I love the way you said this for your recipe:

That’s exactly how to describe it!

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

Thanks @Scolar! I’ll see if I can find the original article. I suppose what I’m really fishing for are some tangible examples of quote-unquote “objectionable” behaviour on the part of those termed SJWs before the label became corrupted. Because I’ve noticed that the half-remembered “just so” stories that become de rigueur on the right rely on the actual case to have become lost in the memory hole. Like hippies spitting on Vietnam veterans or the mysterious fate of Erin Pizzey’s dog. Wherever video evidence is presented, it’s always context-free, but it’s just enough to become a meme amongst those just itching for an enemy. Chanty Binx then becomes “Big Red” not because of anything she actually said, but just because she was upset, wore glasses and had dyed red hair and once or twice shouted “patriarchy” over a guy interrupting her. At that point, she’s an avatar for every “Tumblrina” that the garbage people have heard about, but never actually encountered and raked over the coals for wholly imagined slights.

That’s why what Dave does here is so critical. And he does it right. Plenty of online doofuses lazily regurgitate a dropped name like “Big Red” or “Trigglypuff” (in a very virtue-signally way, I might add) fully cognizant that a bunch of other doofuses are going to know exactly what that means. But finding specific examples of terrible behaviour with context completely intact and cataloguing them so carefully is key to holding their feet to the fire. Because make no mistake, this little cottage industry of memes and kekistan and Pepes that opportunists have been feeding on will eventually collapse in on itself the same way GamerGate did and they’ll be scrambling for escape hatches in the form of “Wha? Me? Alt-right? No, no, I was a liberal this whole time! A totally principled classical liberal!” Don’t let ’em rebrand themselves; remind ’em just who their audience was with a WHTM post. 😉

History Nerd
History Nerd

I was under the impression that terms like “SJW” were used jokingly within the left for a long time. Usually, “SJW” (or similar terms) could mean that someone is overly and unnecessarily (and often hypocritically) critical of others on the left for their lifestyle choices, usually without really understanding the underlying issues. It could also mean identifying much more with an identity group than warranted, like assuming having 1/16th Native American ancestry makes you culturally Native American.

Off topic, but one issue I’m particularly concerned about is that Betsy DeVos will not enforce the Obama-era regulations on for-profit online universities (one of the few issues I’m 100% with Obama on). The Obama administration required all schools offering degrees focused on job and vocational training to have “gainful employment” disclosures and started enforcing strict regulations. Some of the worst for-profit schools started eliminating admissions screening (they didn’t even care if you got disqualified from community college) and emphasizing “easy” vocational majors with poor employment prospects like criminal justice rather than stuff IT or computer programming (which have better employment prospects for someone with a vocational associate’s degree and no bachelor’s degree).

There’s usually some community college or state university in your area that has an online or night class degree program. You can get federal aid at a community college if you need it and your education will probably be much cheaper and higher quality. The problem is that community colleges and state universities usually don’t aggressively market their programs like for-profits.

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

@History Nerd, far as I know, Betsy DeVos is interested in dismantling all regulations on private schools, and dismantling the quality of public schooling. She positively encourages schools as for-profit enterprises, and would no doubt privatize the whole lot and disband the department of education if she could.

Sorry that isn’t an encouraging statement to make, but hopefully it lights a fire in you to oppose her every gosh-darn step. She scares me almost more than any other in the Trump Menagerie.

dslucia
dslucia

Re: Pre-alt-right “SJWs” –

They existed, mostly as an example of people shouting over other people in order to show how progressive they were. Thing is, they were never nearly as common as the alt-right wanted to make them sound once the term SJW started flying around with wild abandon. It wasn’t used very often prior to the alt-right getting their hands on it, but I did see it occasionally, and it was something said by progressives, albeit rarely.

Also, people who identify with GamerGate have always tried the “But I’m ACTUALLY liberal, totes for reals” tactic. It’s one of the reasons I haven’t been making many friends in the gaming community lately. Even the ones who aren’t alt-right are just brogressives who start ranting and raging about how terrible feminists are at the mere mention of Anita Sarkeesian.

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

This is apparently my entire circle of friends. I need to go live in a hole or something.

kupo
kupo

I used the term SJW jokingly to refer to a guy in a class I was taking who would talk over women and POC to explain the experiences of women and POC. He was usually about half wrong with his assertions and always really angry/offended on behalf of the people he was talking about.