announcements pledge drive

Thanks!! And also sorry!

Owwwww my head

By David Futrelle

A quick little update post.

First off, GIANT THANKS to everyone who’s donated during this fund drive! I can’t do this blog without you, and I appreciate everything you all do to help, whether your donations are large or small or if you contribute to the blog in some other way.

If you can’t donated yet, please do! Pledges are running behind what I need to cover costs, and every little (or big) bit helps!

I’m going to extend the pledge drive for at least a few more days, and will have another update soon. THANKS!

Second, sorry that posts have been light over the past couple of days!

As some of you know, I have problems with chronic migraines that can interfere rather severely with my productivity. Right now I’m in a difficult spot, trying (on the advice of a neurologist) to break a vicious cycle of rebound headaches by more or less going cold turkey on my regular migraine meds and all other painkillers, which means I basically have to deal with my headaches raw for now in hopes of fewer headaches in the future. Hopefully this process won’t take more than  a few more days, but until it’s over posts will be light.

I’ve also fallen behind on emails, but please keep on sending tips!

Thanks for understanding. Thanks for everything!

Nequam
Nequam

Uuf! I for one don’t have a problem with you slowposting if you’re dealing with that. Hope you don’t suffer too much!

dreemr
dreemr

Feel better soon, David.

kupo
kupo

Oh god that sounds beyond awful. My sympathies.

Viscaria the Cheese Hog
Viscaria the Cheese Hog

That sounds like the worst thing ever??? I hope it works and you have less pain in the future. In the meantime, no one will begrudge you for taking some time off as you live through the pain like a badass.

Jesalin
Jesalin

I hope you feel better soon (even though I’m sure it’ll feel like it’s taking forever).

Katz

You take it easy. Migraines are rough!

Falconer
Falconer

Aw jeez, it sounds like you’re having an awful time. We’ll keep the site warmed up for you, David!

Myriad
Myriad

Take care, David. I hope you feel better soon and that neurologist finds a solution quickly.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

Sorry to hear what you’re going through. I get chronic migraines so I can sympathize. My doctor told me to cut down the caffeine. That helped reduce the amount of migraines I was getting. Not sure if it would help in your case.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Ouch, that sounds awful. Hope the suggestion pays off. Get well soon.

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

Awww, I hope you feel better very soon!

Cait
Cait

Ug migraines are evil. Both my parents had had to deal with them throughout their lives. My mom is still on massive meds for them. I hope all the best for you!

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

I hope this works out for you, David!

Otrame
Otrame

If I wasn’t broke ass poor this summer, it would have been more. Maybe next quarter I can do better. You deserve to be paid for the service you provide here.

dreemr
dreemr

Re: quitting caffeine

Speaking as a person who (very gratefully) does not suffer from migraines, do be careful in quitting caffeine, particularly cold turkey.

I was a many-cups-of-coffee per day caffeine addict about 12 years ago, and I would occasionally drink caffeinated sodas.

I quit cold turkey and I had the worst headache I’ve ever had in my life for 2 days with no let-up. It was so severe that to this day, I do not ever let my caffeine consumption go over a cup or two of coffee per day, for fear of ever living through that again.

Quitting smoking was not as painful. I don’t even suffer from headaches often, let alone migraines, and I would hate for anyone to suffer even more.

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

I hope you feel better soon, David. Take care of yourself.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

@David Futrelle

Yeah I know the struggle. Not saying lay it off completely but do watch your intake. Not everybody has the luxury of being able to function without coffee.

Best of luck!

Otrame
Otrame

I’m lucky in the migraine department. I have only had thee classic migraines–to me it felt like I was being hit in the right temple with a ball peen hammer in time with my heartbeat. But most of mine have been mostly visual effects. Once I got a bad case of double vision and since that is a symptom of a stroke and I was well into my 60s, I went to the hospital, where I realized it was just another type of migraine. Usually, for me, spot in the center of my vision gets all squiggly and blurred. The spot grows until I can only see the very edges. Then the center clears out and the ring of squiggly continues to expand, becoming thinner and thinner until the entire visual field is clear again. The whole thing takes roughy 30-45 minutes. At the same time I get some mild photophobia and a sort of sick feeling in my head that isn’t quite pain but is not pleasant. While that isn’t fun, it is nothing like what classic migraine sufferers have to deal with. You all h ave my deepest sympathies.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

Our National Security Disaster In Chief is screwing up again:

Naturally, this now means the credit cards of many federal employees, Cabinet members, and Russian oligarchs will have been compromised, probably winding up in the hands of more Russian oligarchs, given who’s financing most cybercrime these days. Anyone want to lay odds that the malware was planted by someone who was there to meet Trump in connection with the campaign last year?

personalpest
personalpest

I had a migraine once, and it was pretty bad. I can’t imagine what it must be like to endure them on a regular basis. My best to David, and anyone else who has to deal with this problem.

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

Feel better, David!

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@Otrame – I’ve had optical migraines too. They’re scary. The first time I had one, I was convinced I was having a stroke and nearly called 911. It started as a bright blind spot in the center of my vision that gradually expanded, till it was like looking at the world through shattered glass. Then the center spot cleared, but the shimmery ring persisted for about 45 minutes. Luckily they’re painless, but they’re really freaky. And annoying – you can’t do anything until they pass.

David, sorry to hear you’re going through this. Hope you feel better soon. You deserve the best.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

I’ve had the optical variety twice. A zigzag arc that starts small and expands left, up, and down. It doesn’t interfere much with anything — slightly when it’s still small and centered in the visual field, and then not at all once the center clears. No other symptoms, and not correlated so far as I can tell with any circumstance except, maybe, sleep deprivation. The two occurrences were nearly a decade apart, so for me, it seems, it’s super-rare and might manage to ever happen five or six more times.

Tov01
Tov01

God, that sounds awful. Hope you get better soon.

In the mean time, have some preemptive brain bleach in the form of a kitten cam:

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

@Buttercup

OMG! This is what I get! It might get triggered by bright lights or start on its own. It starts as a small little sliver that keeps on expanding like shattered glass across my eyes, with the added effect that it’s perpetually shifting rainbow colors. By the time it overtakes my vision I’m temporarily blinded. Then, all of a sudden, my vision returns and the pain begins.

By now I know to take my aspirins as soon as the sliver appears.

dreemr
dreemr

Omigaw baby kitties!!!!!

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Feel better, David!

MrsObedMarsh
MrsObedMarsh

No! You’re ours now, you take your breaks when we say you can! Now dance, monkey, dance!

Nah, just kidding. You take all the time you need, David.

ErinV78
ErinV78

Ugh, I know the struggle well. I rarely get migraines myself these days (thanks, hysterectomy!) but my 10 year old son gets frequent, brutal migraines. He’s also currently caught in a rebound headache cycle. It’s so hard not to treat a migraine (or not treat your kid), but what else can you do? Sending good thoughts your way, David,

Z&T
Z&T

Speedy recovery wishes from us too! 🙂

We do hope to donate soon. You can at any time, right?
If the shit doesn’t hit the fan again I might actually have some spare money for once.

Fellow Chicagoans here, watching storm reports and hoping we don’t get flooded. Again.

I myself do blow a lot of $ on these things, it’s one of my frivolous girly hobbies.

Because as we all know – when men do it – it’s taking care of the home! So Manly! And such HARD WORK! too! And making the home safe for delicate wifey and helpless children.

But when women do it, which does include buying pumps and generators, setting those up and related work, DIY gutter cleaning, roof work, and yard work regarding drainage – well if you are a female doing these things that means you’re just pining for a Barbie Dream Home!
A woman did it? That’s Ladies Decorating or some such.

So, blew my $ on frivolity, silly, girly me.

On a serious note, again, best wishes on the health 🙂

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

So this was recently posted in the incel subreddit:

Apparently incels want to clone young women and replace their brains with dog brains, because they’re more loving that women.

The screenshot was taken from “Men Yelling Indistinctly”. Any thoughts on this? I couldn’t make it through the entire post. The suggestion was revolting enough.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

And I thought after the necro thing that they couldn’t get any more awful.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

Er, pardon me. Any more … something, anyway. Out of touch with decency. Ludicrous. Inhuman. Abhorrent. Something like that.

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

@surplus – thanks for fixing that! <3

eli
eli

I just assume if we don’t hear from David for a few days that there is a migrane being suffered and begin to send well wishes his way.

Be well David!

I myself am dealing with lingering after effects of a summer cold that started July 1. If my ears don’t unblock soon, I may need tubes 🙁

JS
JS

Let’s hope the Doctor’s new idea works out for you, David. Best of luck, eh?

kupo
kupo

@eli
I had tubes put in as a kid and have a hard time flying because my ears don’t pop well (we’re talking 10 on the pain scale, convinced my eardrums are going to explode), so I understand how much ear problems suck. 🙁 My ENT gave me a list of things to do to help my ears pop; maybe you could try talking to one if you haven’t already about how to clear them up? I don’t want to give you the advice I was given because I don’t know that it’s right for your situation, but if you’ve only talked to a GP, an ENT might be helpful here.

personalpest
personalpest

@ Diego Duarte: I did read the entire post, because I’m a glutton for punishment. It included this gem, in which the writer made his opinion of women very clear.

Right now they mostly only cause problems and suffering, due to their pitiful brains and lack of humanity.

“And the award for the Best Example of Projection and Lack of Self-Awareness EVER goes to…”

eli
eli

@kupo

Honestly, I’m frustrated because they were almost clear yesterday, but I didn’t even think and got on an elevator, so, yeah. The elevator is super speedy and I really just forgot, but walking to the 5th floor I can do on a good day. Next week, stairs, good day or not.

But I’ll try to see if I can see an ENT before tubes. Thanks.

Katz

Take away his copy of The Island of Doctor Moreau at once!

PaganReader - Misandrist Spinster

THERE IS A CAT PURR GENERATOR you can decide how loud the purr is, how close the kitty is, whether the kitty meows, whether kitty is sleepy, and how much variation there is in the purr.

Banananana dakry: Fat, Short-Haired, and Deranged
Banananana dakry: Fat, Short-Haired, and Deranged

Ugh, David. Feel better. Migraines suck void.

Husbot is pretty photosensitive eyewise, and either that or a blood sugar imbalance can help to trigger a migraine. When the shimmers and the stained glass images start. he knows he has only so much time to get into a dark, quiet room before the piano drops on his head. :/

I get the ballpeen over the right eye along with angry gnomes on the back right side of my head variety, but the spouse gets the classical symptoms.

Tov01
Tov01

@Diego Duarte

Fucking hell, these incels. They’re just in a continual race to the bottom.

Good thing I posted preemptive brain bleach. (And to think I thought we wouldn’t need it for this thread)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ buttercup

I’ve had optical migraines too. They’re scary.

Ain’t they just? I had one a few years back and had no idea what was happening. Luckily the cause was soon found. Rang NHS Direct (that’s like our medical helpline here). They got some suitable expert to call back and his first question was about caffeine. As it happened I had literally just been drinking rather excellent coffee some Kurdish friends had got me (the sort you make in a pan). It was glorious so I’d necked quite a lot of it. Turns out it’s pretty strong anyway.

Being both reassured and nerdy I got chatting to the doctor about what was going on. That zig zag sparkly aura thing is caused by a chemical reaction traveling across the surface of your brain and affecting the bits that deal with vision. That’s why they tend to last about 45 minutes. That’s how long it takes for the wave to travel. So in a way you’re seeing your own brain being mapped. Cool.

kupo
kupo

@PaganReader
Pepper rates the cat purr generator 12/10, would snuggle again.

@Nequam
Wtf is wrong with people?!

kiki
kiki

David, have you tried pizotifen? It’s relatively new, and I think it’s the first migraine medication that’s not also a hardcore antidepressant/ant-epileptic, so the list of side effects is reassuringly short and free of terrifying warnings about seizures and hallucinations and suicidal thoughts. I was suffering from migraine-associated vertigo (migraines with dizziness and nausea but little or no pain) for five months, and it absolutely saved my ass. Might be worth a look if you hadn’t heard of it.

1 2 3 5