open thread trump

Trumpcare dead!? GOP has lost two more votes! Open Thread

Mitch McConnell has a sad

The Summer 2017 WHTM pledge drive is on! Donate generously to enable our continuing coverage of GOP ratf*ckery! Thanks!

By David Futrelle

BAM! Two more Republicans have announced they’ll be voting no on moving forward on Trumpcare, for a total of four. So it looks like the bill is DONE.

DISCUSS! Celebrate! No trolls,  Trump fans allowed!

UPDATE: McConnell is now pushing REPEAL ONLY. Seems like a desperate move, but we need to keep calling and protesting!

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

OT:

I just got done with my first interview in months for a job. The interviewer seemed happy with me and will give me the news tomorrow morning. Hopefully that results in something good.

@Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Agent of the FemiNest Collective; Keeper of a Hell Toupee, and all-around Intergalactic Meanie
Oh kittens, you help remind the beleaguered citizens of the US that not everything is terrible.

@katz
It would almost be worth losing healthcare to see them go down with the people they’re trying to kill, almost.

Paradoxical Intention - Leader of the Deathclaw Damsels

So, the lead singer of Linkin Park committed suicide today, on what would have been one of his close friend’s, Chris Cornell’s, 53rd birthday. He committed suicide in May of this year too…

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

[TW: Suicide.]

This one’s hit me hard. I know Linkin Park’s become something of a meme these days, but as a horribly depressed kid in the early ’00s, they saved my ass more than once. RIP.

kupo
kupo

@Oogly
Good luck! I hope it goes well.

@Paradoxy & SFHC
I don’t care if the Internet thinks they’re a joke; I like some of their music and am sad about the news.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Oogly
Ganbare!

@Paradoxy
Well, shit. Breaking the Habit, What I’ve Done, and Shadow of the Day were my fuckin jams back in the last days MTV played music. I had a conversation not too long ago about how bands seem to stay together a longer time these days than previously. Like Coldplay, Green Day, and Linkin Park… This sucks 🙁

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

I never really listened to Linkin Park but I loved everything Cornell did and it got me through some bad times.

Music’s one of my causes for anger these days. I’ve finally lost what little patience and tolerance I still had for some French rappers’ bullshit, aka homophobic-transphobic-misogynistic shit that is at the very best just some throw-away insult without too much thought into it (and we can probably agree that doesn’t excuse much anyway), and at worst just openly fucking bigoted.

I know every genre suffers from the same shit, but this isn’t about a racist bias against hip-hop. The problem is that the guilty parties are people I’m expected to call allies, because they’ve set very clear lines on the matters of racism and poverty, and I stand on the same side of those lines they do. There’s a very strong tradition of activist rap here, and they’re at the center of it. They genuinely are among the most talented with pen and mic and they’re all about not wasting ink or spit on anything that doesn’t advance their cause. All in all, they’re of the same species I am, and are the people I’m supposed to belong with. Yet they tell me about one form of oppression before proceeding to commit another one in the same fucking verse.

And most of them don’t seem like they’re ever going to grow the fuck out of it. I’m currently slowly coming out on my own gender queerness and it’s starting to show in my own lyrics, and just can’t fucking abide anymore. Used to be I would’ve been thrilled to be able to call them peers, but I guess that ship has sailed. Right into a motherfucking cliff.

So yeah, here‘s one of the few I can still stand, mainly because of his “it’s all of us or gtfo, motherfucker” stance. Also one of the very few with anything interesting to say about mentall illness and suicide. This is a new song, album comes out in October, and it’s probably the only one I’ll buy this year.

*rant mode over*

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
That’s understandable, I don’t think anyone should tolerate having people who are selective of what oppression they are opposing.

@Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
They said yes, I’m hired! FUCKING FINALLYcomment imagecomment image

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Ooglycomment image

Get yo paper, muffuga!!!

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

Congratulations Oogly, that’s fantastic!!!!! *\o/* *\o/* *\o/* *\o/* !!!!!!

and Sinkable John, ugh. It takes something out of you when something that should/could/would have been a source of energy gets, well, taken away 🙁 and I’m sorry.

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

@M:

Yeah, me too. There’s a period of my life that I will forever associate with Bennington’s music. Even though I haven’t felt that way for a long time, it’s still something that helped me get where I am today.

RIP.

On an entirely different note, @Ooglyboggles:

Yay! That is awesome news and I’m really glad for you. Happy tiny frog high five!

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

Ooglyboggles,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉💃🕺💃🕺💃🕺

Falconer
Falconer

Congrats, Ooglyboggles!

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

I never really connected with Linkin Park, but I know what it’s like to connect with an artist and their work on a very deep level. <3 all of you.

@Ogglyboggles, congratulations! That's so great! I hope it's work that you love doing. Either way, you deserve it!

@John, I love listening to Khaled Freak. I'm sure you know them, but they are sort of a guilty pleasure of mine.

(There are good english subtitles for those who want to follow but can't speak the language)

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

Welp, Spicer resigned.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Congrats Ooglyboggles!

comment image

Katz

Way to go, Oogly!

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

Congrats, Oogly!

I also never really connected with Linkin Park, but I know they were important to a lot of people. When my room mate turned on the radio yesterday, it was one of their songs. After the DJ repeated the news, he ended with the suicide hotline number. I thought that was really good.

@John: I’m sorry that the rappers who sound like they should know better don’t. Good luck figuring out your own gender queerness, and good luck with your lyrics.

Falconer
Falconer

So I uh

just want to go home and curl up in bed under the covers

and maybe I’ll cry, maybe I’ll just be quiet

the US government’s all going to shit and we’re losing momentum for 2018

and Trump’s going to fire Bob Mueller and pardon everybody and himself

and someone who used to be on Doctor Who died

and I’m not going to hurt myself I just want to check out for a while.

kupo
kupo

@Oogly
Congrats! They’re lucky to have you!

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

<3 Falconer.

You are allowed to go have a nice cry for a bit. It will help you feel a bit better. In the meantime, let me shine some sunlight on your misery. It isn't all terrible.

The government's going to the toilet, and everything is gerrymandered to heck and back, but there's also incredible energy from the general public. People are getting engaged in ways they haven't for a very long time. They're getting weary, but that's because there's nothing they can do right now. As soon as there's something they can work towards, they'll get right to it.

Trump might fire Mueller, but the replacement won't be generous. The FBI can see it's being threatened by Trump, and if you can trust an Old Boys Club like that to do anything, it's to protect their own.

Trump might pardon himself and his family/friends, but to do that you have to admit guilt. You also have to absolve yourself from the 5th amendment, meaning he would have to speak if called upon, and lying would be a criminal offense.

Also, presidents can be Indited and removed from office for a large number of reasons. He doesn’t have to be found guilty of a criminal offense.

The Doctor Who thing i don’t have anything sunny to say about, i’m sorry :C

Go take a break, watch something you like, have some ice cream and rest. You will feel better later, I promise.

Falconer
Falconer

@Scildfreja:

Thanks for the pep talk. I’ve got Mystery Science Theater the Return on in the background and I’m feeling better. Love you!

The Doctor Who thing i don’t have anything sunny to say about, i’m sorry :C

Yeah, there’s nothing really to say, except: Fuck cancer.

In my wildest dreams, this is the point where John McCain would take the reins in his teeth, draw both his pistols, and charge at Trump. Legislatively speaking, of course. What are they gonna do. Primary him??

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
@opposablethumbs
@EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)
@PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
@Falconer
@Scildfreja Unnyðnes
@Alan Robertshaw
@Katz
@Rhuu – apparently an illiterati
@kupo

Thank you kindly 😀 It’s honestly a relief to be done with job hunting, Andromeda knows how soul crushing it can be.

@PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
One by one the rats jump off the sinking ship.

@Falconer

Even if right now the dems keep acting like they want to lose:

The people are still on our side, just got to get an opportunity to turn that enthusiasm into action.

Take as much time as you need friend, you’ll get through this.

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

<3! MST3k is always good for making me feel better, too! It's one off the few things I and my friends agree on these days.

(I dread asking to watch the new MST3K season with them, though, because of the choice of Felicia Day as the new Dr. Forrester. Pretty sure I'd never hear the end of how the SJWs have taken over everything. Sigh. I need new friends.)

I haven't actually seen the new MST3K yet, though, and I really want to! No Netflix is the problem :C I wants it, my pretties.

And, yeah, dear lord, cancer can go to heck. My dad's still recovering from his surgery, and will probably never entirely recover. I hope that McCain decides to let loose too, but chances are good that he's just going to focus on his family. Which is a good thing for him to do, too. And besides, either way he's not voting for the horrible Republican agenda.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Yo so I went outside and naturally I am now wasted as fuck and full of the kind of energy that comes with a drive to burn expensive cars and/or eat a shitton of pizza, and… well. I’m all out of expensive cars.

@Oogly

Congratz !! ! ! !!!

Hope the job works well for ya (shouldn’t have to be the other way around).

@Scildfreja

I actually hadn’t ever heard that :p

But lemme stop you right there ! Well… Okay, Macron is almost like Trudeau in the hot president field. Also he’s raising the government aid for the handicapped that I’m gonna be living off come next year.

… I still hate his guts. Can’t blame you for not knowing about that though, that part of the story kinda snuck out of the room while everyone was staring in disbelief at Trump. He was part of the former government, and he’s guilty of last year’s major shitshow which ended with people I hold dear getting seriously fucking wounded for protesting his bullshit. And in that same debate which is quoted in the song, he made some pretty damn bold statements about how he’s always defended queer folks and Jews whereas she keeps hating. Spoiler : yeah, he hasn’t. Citation fucking needed, dude. Meanwhile, he’s already started doing some damage of his own, and has basically declared a now permanent state of emergency of the kind that has been used to justify every oppression since the November attacks (and hasn’t given any fucking result). Not to mention the very same things we were protesting last year, a path he’s gleefully walking now.

Okay so of course I am glad he won the election and Le Pen didn’t. But to me it still feels like being pushed from the 30th floor instead of the 60th. (okay, to be fair I was already freefalling the fuck out of the town hall anyway)

Shit he even started backing down against Trump, just when I was almost starting to reconsider my feelings about him.

… okay that song is pretty fun though, I’ll concede. *grump*

@Falconer

I can’t tell you it gets better. But I hope it does.

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

I didn’t know that about him! I’m sorry it’s so miserable. I guess that election was just a heapin’ helpin’ of terrible for you. Keep him in line!

JS
JS

@scildfreja
I listened to some other Khaled Freak vids.
“What is yellow and awaits?”
“Jonathan”

I didn’t get that one. Any hints?

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

is Pun!

Jon- == jaune/yellow
-athan == attendre/await

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I must correct you on something Scildfreja. I’m sorry.

Incorrect. You don’t even have to have committed a crime.

It’s unclear if he can pardon himself. That’s a SCOTUS question. The clear meaning of the word “pardon” is that it is something that one person grants to another person, so whether he can pardon himself is Constitutionally unclear.

But what is not unclear is the guilt thing. You don’t have to admit guilt first to get one. You are correct, however, that anyone who receives a pardon can no longer claim 5th Amendment protections, which is probably why no pardon has been granted to Flynn.

ChimericMind
ChimericMind

Congratulations Oogly! And condolences to Sinkable John and Falconer.

JS
JS

He can pardon himself if he’s SURE the Supreme Court won’t laugh it out of the building. I don’t think the current Court would do anything quite so dumb as accepting it as a real pardon. And if they does, the Fifth Amendment doesn’t apply any more to that crime, or any other crimes he pardoned himself for. Too many downsides for Trump to even try that.

I could still see it happening, Trump is the “One Weird Presidential Trick” guy.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

*cough*Gorsuch*cough*Thomas*cough*

In other news, Spicer out-SNL’d SNL. The hell?

Myriad
Myriad

@Ooglyboggles

That is wonderful! Congratulations on your new job. I wish you great success.

@Falconer and @Sinkable John

I hope you two feel better.

Myriad
Myriad

Incorrect. You don’t even have to have committed a crime.

@POM

I was under the impression that Presidential pardon powers were limited to after a crime was committed but could be given before being charged or convicted. Or am I wrong here or misunderstanding what you’re saying?

That would be a rather horrendous legal conundrum.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

The Presidential pardon power is written in the Constitution. It has some defined limits, but within those limits it is incredibly broad. Behold:

The President … shall have Power to Grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

That’s really broad. There’s nothing here that says that a crime has to be committed, which is why some people were urging Obama to pardon Hillary Clinton despite the fact that she committed no crimes. It would have ended all of the nonsense of pursuing this non-crime.

Like, I’m President, and I say to you, “Myriad, I pardon you for murdering the Pope.” Now you can’t be prosecuted for murdering the Pope, and any investigation into your potential murder of the Pope is moot because no prosecution can come of it. But I can say that even if I know you didn’t do it, an I can say it even if the Pope is still alive. It still serves the purpose of ending any prosecutorial mischief against you.

I can’t, however, issue you a forward-looking pardon and give you a license to kill the Pope in the future. Maybe that’s what you’re thinking about?

eta: One of the uses of the pardon system is to eliminate wrongful convictions. If we require that someone have committed a crime, then we must require not only that someone be legally guilty (convicted) but that they also have factually committed the crime. It creates a paradox in the case of wrongful convictions where the person did no crime but the justice system won’t do anything about it. The paradox is resolved if we eliminate the requirement that the person have done the crime for which the pardon is being offered.

Myriad
Myriad

Thanks, POM, for making that more clear. A forward-looking pardon was exactly what I was thinking.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

@Pom

I was also under the impression that you had to be pardoned by someone else. Wasn’t that the move Nixon pulled? Resign and then have his VP pardon him? If so we could be looking at a Nixon part II.

Sort of unrelated, but aging is not fucking fun in any way whatsoever. I just got a bit of a temporary double vision and wasn’t too concerned until I googled it:

The neurologist won’t be in until tomorrow. Hopefully it wasn’t a mini stroke as the site suggests.

Jesalin
Jesalin

@Oogly

That’s awesome! Congrats!!

JS
JS

I just know that oogly took MY job, and will now complain lengthily about that and also women in general, disregarding everything outside my worldview, and also contradicting myself at least once.

Nah, I won’t. Gratz Ooglyboogles, good luck!

Anyone willing to send job search encouragement my way would be welcomed. I’m terrible at it.

Schnookums Von Fancypants, GloboThermoNuclearHomo
Schnookums Von Fancypants, GloboThermoNuclearHomo

@Sinkable John

I don’t have much to add besides support for hard times, but…that song you linked to was really good. I don’t typically listen to rap (and I don’t speak french) but I’m definitely going to give that artist a try.

kupo
kupo

@JS
Job searches are awful, I know, but you got this!

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@Scildfreja

Keep him in line!

Weeeell… protesting is basically illegal now. And a bunch of fuckers have decided whoever doesn’t like Macron is a Le Pen fan, so now we’re deemed open fascists for resisting a sneaky authoritarian.

… I also don’t know who’s gonna pay for the raise I’m getting. Or, alternatively, what new criteria will be required to get said aid – I might not qualify anymore after he’s done with it. My handicap is mental, and I believe the jargon for people like me is “lazy” and “parasites” – he is and remains a banker.

@Schnookums

You have been converted ! Muhahahahaaahh !

More seriously, I would stick to the Eloge de l’Ombre album (and Les Matins Sous La Lune, from which that song came, and which comes out in October). The earlier ones have… ehh, darker stuff. That was one of his old schticks, like writing a song in the first person about some serial killer picked at random, for example. I can’t always stomach those songs, to be honest. They make up a good third of his older stuff, so that’s worth bearing in mind, especially since you don’t speak French.

Of course you might end up actually loving that stuff, in which case, good ! But otherwise, there’s nothing wrong with say, making a playlist and filtering it out (which is what I do). I’m pretty sure there’s a reason he stopped writing that stuff, and it’s plausible he did because of the risk of triggering PTSD. Given that he writes a lot about his own mental illness, I’m kind of expecting a reason like that.

Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie
Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie

If you haven’t seen it department:

Slate has a piece roughly titled “Maybe what trump wants from the Russians is to launder their dirty money”. Intriguing and frightening. I’d link to it but I’m on my fone n I’m just plain technologically incompetent! O_o

JS
JS

Donald J. Trump‏ Verified account @realDonaldTrump 6 hours ago

So many people are asking why isn’t the A.G. or Special Council looking at the many Hillary Clinton or Comey crimes. 33,000 e-mails deleted?

“But her emails!!!”

@Weird Eddie Yes, sort of. It links through a google redirector URL, but does get to slate eventually.

Here’s a link that doesn’t go through google first.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

But how dare we call it a dictatorship or a cult.

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

SFHC, yeah, right. “Evolved”.

Hypocrite.

Good thing he dislosed that, because people can preserve his old tweets that way to show his “evolution.”

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Seems to me like deleting tweets is the opposite of transparency. Could just be me!

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Hold on, who is Scaramucci again ? With all the ratfuckery going on these days, I can’t keep track anymore ._.

Myriad
Myriad

@JS

Best wishes on your job search. You are going to nail it in the interview.

Re: Deleting Tweets

I wonder why he is using his personal Twitter account and not one with his government position if he is going to be tweeting in an official capacity.

I could hazard to guess what the tweets in question say. Well, you know what they say-what is on the Internet stays on the Internet. They will probably turn up soon enough.

@Sinkable John

He is the new head of communications for Trump.

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

And now everyone is asking the question of the day:

“Scaramucc’, Scaramucc’, do you do the Don-fang-o?”

It’s become the Meme of the Day.