open thread trump

Trumpcare dead!? GOP has lost two more votes! Open Thread

Mitch McConnell has a sad

The Summer 2017 WHTM pledge drive is on! Donate generously to enable our continuing coverage of GOP ratf*ckery! Thanks!

By David Futrelle

BAM! Two more Republicans have announced they’ll be voting no on moving forward on Trumpcare, for a total of four. So it looks like the bill is DONE.

DISCUSS! Celebrate! No trolls,  Trump fans allowed!

UPDATE: McConnell is now pushing REPEAL ONLY. Seems like a desperate move, but we need to keep calling and protesting!

Myriad
Myriad

Ah, thank the old Gods and the new. That is a load off my mind.

Patty Thinkerer
Patty Thinkerer

Good news, so scarce nowadays! Here’s hoping for 2018, since people realize their voices do matter!

Aussiesmurf

Mad props to the team at Talking Points Memo (completely unaffiliated with me) for their reporting which literally got Ron Johnson to change his vote.

joekster (bearded beta)
joekster (bearded beta)

Hey, Moran is one of my senators. Does that mean I have to vote for him next time around?

I did send him emails.

And posted an op-ed in the local paper.

Maybe it made a difference.

numerobis
numerobis

Don’t let your guard down. You have to cut off its head just to be sure.

dreemr
dreemr

I’m cautiously pleased.

I would feel a lot better if there were more than 2.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Cynical take: People are excited because four Republicans are against genocide. In any other circumstance, that’d be worded as “Only four, what the holy flying fuck.”

Ichthyic
Ichthyic

Don’t let your guard down. You have to cut off its head just to be sure.

exactly.

remember how it “failed” in the house.. then a month later, after the proper bribes were given, lo and behold it was on its way to the senate.

Tosca; Chaos made Flesh, Servant of the Purring Jew
Tosca; Chaos made Flesh, Servant of the Purring Jew

@Joekstar: I don’t think you need to go so far as to vote for him, but send him an email thanking him for protecting the interests of his constituents. Reward them when they do…can’t say well, let’s go with not terribly.

I’m in Australia, but I’m feeling particularly bad for you Americans because I’m chewing into my country’s Dreaded Socialised Healthcare as we speak. In late May I discovered I had a very unusual kind of malignant melanoma.

So far, The Lump has resulted in the following medical treatment:
– original consultation with GP to peruse The Lump
– removal of The Lump in the GP’s surgery
– removal of stitches and wound check by nurse/GP
– histology examination which showed The Lump to be malignant
– GP consultation to discuss histology report and arrange further treatment
– consultation with plastic surgeon
– consultation with anaesthetist
– surgical removal of Lump under general anaesthetic by plastic surgeon, including split skin graft and removal of separate lump
– overnight stay in hospital
– 4-week course of prophylactic antibiotics
– histology examination of excised tissue x 2
– 3x dressing changes by nurse with GP examination

So far I’m out of pocket a grand total of…around $130. I’m trying to imagine a world where I would have had to pay for this myself, and it’s terrifying. You have ALL my sympathy and support.

If your representative looks like supporting this shitshow, contact them – yours just may be the one letter that breaks the camel’s back. If your representative is against this stitshow, contact them with your thanks.

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

I want to hear ot from that asshole McConnell’s mouth before I get overly optimistic.

And may I say, Ted Cruz, bite me.

Aussiesmurf

Don’t forget that 3 of the 4 Republicans who are opposing the bill are opposing it because it ISN’T HARSH ENOUGH.

BritterSweet

Don’t let your guard down. You have to cut off its head just to be sure.

Thirded. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease!

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

I want this to be true, but they’re Republicans. They’ll fall into line; it’s what they do.

Eh, maybe I’m wrong. I’d be so happy to be wrong about this.

Strawberry Wizard
Strawberry Wizard

@numerobis

And afterwards nuke it from orbit.
It’s the only way to be sure.

Tov01
Tov01

To quote someone from twitter, this reminds me of the part of the horror movie where you’re shouting at the protagonist that the monster isn’t actually dead.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@joekster
No, he’s still human garbage.

JS
JS

@Tosca, sorry about the cancer, but thank you so much for a view into the world of Socialized Medicine that’s working. That would cost probably at least $5000 out of pocket unless you have expensive medical insurance in the US.

I went to the ER for a kidney stone blockage (couldn’t pee very much for 5 hours or so), treatment was “Have patient wait about 5 minutes, put patient on bed, start IV, hand him urinal, let him pass the stone in 5 minutes, then give narcotic pain meds, watch for an hour or so.” Charge? Would have been $6000 out of pocket. Though I did manage to get the Hospital’s own charity to cover $5000 or so after I sent them a copy of my TAX RETURN to prove need and ability to pay. Wound up costing me $1000 for an IV and pain meds.

And yes, they gave the pain medication after the stone was gone. Fucking great timing.

JS
JS

Oh, I missed the part were surgery and anesthesia was involved. Make that at least $15000 “sticker price”. Which supposedly no one really pays unless they use a credit card to pay the bill. US Medicine is what happens when capitalism is crossed with insurance and “I have to have this done or I die”.

Keep calling your Senators and Reps, this isn’t over yet.

Micharion
Micharion

It’s not over yet. Mitch McConnell is planning for straight up repeal no replace. Even though McConnell tried to use compromise as a scare tactic that didn’t work he is now going for the nuclear option just like the little bastard did with Gorsuch a dumbass. This turtle should have been put to pasture long ago.

Tov01
Tov01

@Micharion
I see the monster has shuffled to it’s feet already. What a mess.

Jules
Jules

Ding dong – the bill is dead! Of course, now they’re saying they’re going to try “Repeal and Delay,” as in, just repeal ACA, but have the full effects delayed over 2 years when they will supposedly have something to replace it with (yeah, I doubt that very much).

Aussiesmurf

*clicks link* Wow, I didn’t know that. They did that. LOL. That’s a thing that just happened. Please excuse my cackle:

*cackles riotously*comment image

@Tosca:
I’m sorry to hear that and am glad you have access to care. I’m frankly dumbfounded you’ve paid $130 for something so major… I’d expect to add more zeros to that number. I wish you good and better health.

My situation isn’t serious, just embarrassing and sad. $120/yr is how much the dental discount plan (not insurance) I’m considering costs. Between the expensive needs of my teeth (almost a thousand and a half dollars for a few cavities) and my eyes (can’t see well through my old prescription, scratched up glasses–I’ve taken to tilting my head to see through the one sorta clear spot sometimes) and now being blacklisted from medical insurance for the rest of the year thanks to the GOP’s insistence on that evil little addendum to the ACA, my healthcare is…nonexistent.

I’m angry about the insurance thing for so many reasons (I want those jerfaces to tell me I’m unworthy to my face), but I found a new one today: that tactics helps cut down the number of insured, making ACA look less effective, and they get to use me as part of the statistics on people who’ve “dropped out” of Obamacare. I didn’t drop out. I missed my payment and now they won’t let me get it back or give me a viable alternative.

Imagine if you had your car insurance cancelled but weren’t allowed to get car insurance again, from anyone, for the rest of the year, but could still be ticketed for driving without insurance. Supposedly this will “teach you a lesson.” More likely it’s to make sure the insurance plan fails politically. …This is our government.

Catherwood
Catherwood

I’m reading that the straight repeal thing is even deader: it’s a much easier “no” for the R’s. It’s also already been rated by the CBO as not just horrible, but grinning, mad-eyed horror, slowly twisting sickly green eyeball lights horrible.

Sure, that attracts yes votes from the dark forces. But enough R’s are aware that they will face voting-booth retribution on this if they vote for it that excretion will be the better part of valor (i.e. they’ll wet themselves).

I think. Who can tell any more what’s real and what’s fever dream?

And yeah, @Tosca, thinking positive thoughts, mate. Sounds like it was caught pretty early, so fight on!

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

Of course, now they’re saying they’re going to try “Repeal and Delay,” as in, just repeal ACA, but have the full effects delayed over 2 years when they will supposedly have something to replace it with until after the 2018 midterm elections.

FTFY 🙂

Wondering
Wondering

This celebration is premature. The bill is not dead in the water. These senators will be bribed until they agree to vote for it, like what the revised bill is doing with Alaska and its senator who’s voiced her opposition.

McConnell will not stop until he gets what he wants.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

Thank goodness, for now. Stake it in the heart, sever the head and incinerate the corpse until not even ashes remain. Is it too much to ask for the politicians that be to stop trying to fucking murder my aunt and I? Just because she has a physical ailment and I a mental ailment doesn’t mean we don’t deserve to live.

@Tosca; Chaos made Flesh, Servant of the Purring Jew
I wish you the best of wishes to your heath.

Micharion
Micharion

Honestly I don’t trust republicans enough to not completely screw this up. People thought that House bill was dead and then it suddenly was passed. I get the odd feeling McConnell is trying to repeat that. But you can practically smell the desperation form Mcturtle at this point because his time for screwing America over is almost at it’s end. I just hope that the Koch’s can’t do that constitutional amendment stuff they are doing. Hopefully with the repeal going down the tax stuff they had planned goes with it thus showing the Kochs have less power than they thought.

While I have next to no real information about this the republicans could face their biggest challenge yet. Reince Preibus was possibly at Dumbass Jr.’s little treason meeting. If there is concrete proof he was there the republican party is in much more serious danger.

kupo
kupo

Holy crap. I thought loss of coverage was a valid reason to get an exception and be able to sign up for new insurance outside the yearly window (which, wtf even is the purpose of locking you in for a year? I thought we loved capitalism and celebrated competition or whatever?). Maybe that’s only if you lose coverage for certain approved reasons? I know when I was in college I opted to use their plan but they dropped it mid-year and I had to fill out some paperwork to get coverage through the market.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

Resident Infestation On the Country Trump tweeted:

Republicans should just REPEAL failing ObamaCare now & work on a new Healthcare Plan that will start from a clean slate. Dems will join in!

…ha
ha ha
ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
HA HA HA HA HA HA H
AHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

AngryWarthogBreath
AngryWarthogBreath

Every statement Trump makes on how things will totally work in politics just brings Abridged Yami Yugi to mind. “Kaiba, I’m sure on some planet your strategy is considered powerful. Your mistake was, this is Earth.

JS
JS

If it’s been more than 60 days since last coverage, and no “qualifying exceptions”, you’ll have to contact the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596. There are exceptions for complicated issues that might include what happened to you.

I apologize if this is something you’ve tried already. The online system for working out “when you can get a special enrollment period” can be wrong.

I hate the “you couldn’t afford the insurance, so we take it away until next year” issue. These things are mostly going to be for low-income people, who may not have enough money to easily be “good at finances”, and punishing them with having to deal with insurable illness at the full price is just adding insult to injury.

abars01
abars01

As far as I’m concerned, it ain’t dead until the Dems retake control of either the House, Senate and/or presidency.

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

I’m optimistic.

Part of what made it possible for the House to pass the bill at all is that they published a total mess under the assumption that the Senate could fix it. This means that the Senate now has a much harder job to do, because they need to do someone else’s homework as well as their own.

If they were competent and evil, the Senate Republicans could do this. If they were greedy and evil they could be bribed into doing it. However, they’re a particular form of clownish pants-on-head evil, which makes it unlikely that they could do their own homework, let alone someone else’s.

I don’t want to jinx it, but I think this one may be that sweetest form of victory: the one your opponent handed you through their own incompetence.

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

Four Republicans isn’t a lot but, well, it’s enough and that’s a good thing…for the time being.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

*crawls out of hole*

Hell yeah !

This is a fuckin’ relief.

Also, Scildfreja and her Fluttershy gifs are back 😀

My day is made, and it’s barely noon. I’d celebrate right now but I’m trying to pass as civilized these days, so I just hope nothing bad will happen between now and 4:20.

Antoinette Hines
Antoinette Hines

I have this bump near my vagina, and it hurts!

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

Sinkable John, it’s good to see you. Any day you’re around is a civilised day.

Nanny Oggs Bosom
Nanny Oggs Bosom

@Aussiesmurf

Condolences on The Lump. I hope it’s all clear now?

I’m making inroads into the NHS at the moment, with antidepressant/antianxiety medication and treatment with a clinical psychiatrist, as well as assessment for autism. In the last two years I’ve had physio for a back injury, a constant supply of a variety of painkillers and antidepressants for free, and counselling. I’ve also had two eye tests and new glasses. I can’t imagine how much this would cost if I lived in the US. It hasn’t cost me anything, because of the benefits I’m on I get my prescriptions and eye tests free, the two pairs of glasses I’ve had to buy have come to a total of £30. My current pair cost a tenner. When I was working I struggled to pay for my medication, optician’s appointments and glasses, because I was on a low income. Now I can’t work at all, I’m in a marginally better situation in terms of being able to get medication free, and my optician’s appointments.

I’m poor, and I’d be dead without the free healthcare I get. I couldn’t afford health insurance unless I stopped eating. I know that I’m not the only person in this situation, it’s a common enough situation unfortunately. Those of us fortunate to live in countries where healthcare is free or low cost should be fighting to protect these services.

I hope that one day the US government sees sense and provides universal free healthcare so that people don’t die because they can’t afford treatment and care. I hope this is the start to the turn around. I know that’s optimistic, but I am a naturally optimistic person and hope fore the best for everyone.

Myriad
Myriad

@Tosca
I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Ledasmom
Ledasmom

Tosca: Sorry about the Lump, glad treatment is going well.
JS: Sorry about the kidney stone. Husband’s second stone, this year, resulted in two ER visits and hospitalization to have the stone shot with a laser. On the second ER visit, the triage guy put him down as ten out of ten pain without husband having to say anything. Husband then saw a doctor who looked at husband’s xray and said “Three millimeters! Not so bad, huh?” As it happened, the stone was so wodged in there that it wouldn’t have passed on its own. Luckily we live in Massachusetts (thanks, Mitt!). Nobody should have to put up with that pain and possible damage through worrying about paying for medical care.
For those who are not familiar with kidney stones, the aftereffects of having one shot with a laser include peeing blood for days, and that is far, far preferable to the stone. My poor husband has gout as well. Seems unfair.

JoeB
JoeB

numerobis
Don’t let your guard down. You have to cut off its head just to be sure.

Always double tap

dreemr
dreemr

@abars01

This is my stance as well.

Remain ever-vigilant.

JoeB
JoeB

Trump frustrated so he’s changing positions faster than usual.

Last night: Full Repeal, do a replacement later
Early this Morning: Let (make) ObamaCare fail then repeal/replace
Just now:

The Senate must go to a 51 vote majority instead of current 60 votes. Even parts of full Repeal need 60. 8 Dems control Senate. Crazy!

Claire
Claire

Holy shit.

I just spent nine days in hospital for colitis and my shitty medical aid covered everything but 9000 South African Rand (which is about USD700). And I thought I had it bad.

Lysistrata
Lysistrata

In Canada: I had a total knee replacement. I think my total cost was about $200 for odds and ends (uninsured medication, mobility aids).

So okay, there was a wait, and yes, it was too long. I looked at having it done in the US for money, but… wow, that would have a been a big chunk of my retirement savings.

Socialized medicine here is far from perfect. But what USAians have to deal with… sheesh. I ache for you guys.

dreemr
dreemr

That “Go to 51 votes” tweet by Drumpf was…not surprising, of course, but so unsettling.

Because why worry about representing all of the US?

Why uphold the Constitution, I mean, it’s just getting in the way of Drumpf’s perception of himself as “winning bigly”.

SIGH.

AngryWarthogBreath
AngryWarthogBreath

No one ever wants to have a doctor impressed by one’s X-ray. “Wow, that is completely boringly unsurprising to me, any issues I can see here are ones with which I am totally familiar” is more enjoyable.

Hashtag Ravenclaw
Hashtag Ravenclaw

How can McConnell hope that pushing for a simple repeal will succeed where Trumpcare failed?

Why is McConnell still doggedly going forward with an unpopular course of action, when he KNOWS just how low Trump’s approval rating is and how easily he could lose his razor-thin Senate majority in 2018?

I know he’s a cynical, amoral piece of shit, but I thought he was smart.

Well, I won’t complain if he leads the GOP to self-destruction.

1 2 3 7