aggrieved entitlement baby men entitled babies masculinity men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny no girls allowed transphobia twitter

The best worst reactions to the news that the next Doctor Who will be a woman

Jodie Whittaker, the next Doctor Who

The Summer 2017 WHTM pledge drive is on! Donate generously to enable our continuing coverage of whiny baby-men! Thanks!

By David Futrelle

A tragic day for whiny baby-men — the BBC just announced that the next Doctor Who will be a lady. Naturally, these sensitive souls took at once to Twitter to make their displeasure known. And to make jokes about Doctor Who turning into Nurse Who amirite fellas high five!

Here are some of the best of the worst Tweets I’ve seen so far. I can’t decide which are my favorites — the ones lamenting the loss of a crucial male “role model” or those suggesting that a female Doctor Who makes as much sense as a male Mary Poppins (which would be perfectly fine to me, by the way).

No, I don’t understand what that last one means either.

Chie Satonaka
Chie Satonaka

@Falconer

I may go ahead and just watch the ones I’ve skipped. I’ve really missed the show. I was just angry at Moffat after his sneering responses the last time around (the one comment I vividly remember is when he compared having a female Doctor to casting a man to play Queen Elizabeth – one being a fictional character who is specifically written to regenerate into anyone, and the other obviously being a real person). I was already annoyed with him because I could see a real difference in the way the companions were being written with him at the helm. So when the 12th doctor was announced and it was yet again a white guy, coupled with my already existing annoyance at Moffat’s writing and anger at his attitude toward his fans, I was done with him.

DannyBoy
DannyBoy

One more thing: that one guy who commented that we “dodged a bullet” with Hillary. Yeah, I mean, sure, Donald Drumpf is a racist, a liar, a tax cheat, a draft dodger, a Russian agent, and a rapist… BUT HER EMAILS!!1!!111!

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Chie

There are other things they’ve done with Elementary besides Lucy Liu as Watson but they are more spoilery

Only seen a few eps. Think I know what, or rather who, you’re talking about, and that was fun!

I always felt like the British Sherlock has this adversarial attitude toward its audience

Not adversarial enough, imo. Moffat thinks he knows what the audience wants and throws it at em at every, even inopportune, opportunity. Made even more the problem, cos, in retrospect, he seems to think his audience is mostly obnoxious bros and a few little girls who think Cumberbatch is dreamy. Resisting spoilers, but season 4 is basically fanservice gone maddeningly poisonous. That’s my reading of it anyway…

@Chie:

Wow. That is a big stinker.

He’s been pushing a woman Doctor for years now, though.

I may go ahead and just watch the ones I’ve skipped.

Unfortunately, Netflix dropped modern Who, all of it, because the BBC just launched its own streaming service. We’ve been buying them by the episode off of Amazon — still cheaper than cable! And I’m sure there’s ways to pirate episodes.

Britgeekgrrl
Britgeekgrrl

I usually try to refrain from indulging in schadenfreude, but as a lifelong Doctor Who fan who has been rooting for a female Doctor since, well, forever, I’m LOVING the broflakes’ collective temper tantrums. Keep crying while I make more popcorn, will ya?

Ratings failure? Yeah, right. I think the hate-watchers alone will give them a bump…

dreemr
dreemr

You know, I’m not super-thrilled about the stand-alone Young Han Solo movie they’re working on, but I’m not rending my garments online about it, either, nor does it somehow retroactively ruin all of Star Wars for me.

These people are so fragile.

I tried to get into Dr. Who but it just didn’t click with me. With the type of character it is, it seems to me to make perfect sense that the Dr could be a woman.

Regarding “Sherlock” I did enjoy the first two seasons but the 3rd and 4th were not even worth watching.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I was mildly peeved when Basil Brush changed his accent; but only because I did a pretty good impression of him as he used to speak.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

perhaps a bit under critical.

I have a public service announcement. It’s okay to like things! Don’t get me wrong, I like analysis and critique of pop culture, but there’s so much of it on the internet that it seems like no one is allowed to just enjoy their favorite TV shows.

Just on the topic of fandom, have any of the Mammotheers had a major break with any fandom of theirs?

I tend not to get too deep into fandoms. But I did stop posting on the westeros.org A Song of Ice and Fire forums because the hate for Game of Thrones is so over the top. It seems like a lot of them never gave the show a fair chance and hate it just to be contrarian. I saw this because although there was hate for it from the start, it increased by a lot around season 3 when the show started to get massively popular. There’s a lot of childish and petty whining over nitpicky little things. “Roose Bolton said ‘the Lannisters send their regards’ in the show! It’s supposed to be ‘Jaime Lannister sends his regards!’ Why are they ruining the books!? Waaaaahhhh!!!!!” Not saying the adaptation can never be criticized, but come on!

a lot more of the men there seem to be excited… I’m perplexed by that. Why would that be?)

A lot of women go out of their way to be that cool, chill girl who likes to hang out with the guys because women are such drama queens. Could be an attempt to win brownie points with the guys there.

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

@Diego Duarte:

How did people get started on Dr. Who?

The 2005 revival with Christopher Eccleston, which I’m still quite partial due – never really liked Tennant or Smith in the role and I quit before seeing any of the Peter Carapaldi episodes. I watched some of the older episodes and tended to enjoys the ones with Jon Pertwee as the Third Doctor the most. Makes me wish his son Sean Pertwee (whose probably my favorite version of Alfred Pennyworth, despite how awful Gotham often is as a TV show) would make a guest appearance as the Third Doctor in one of those crossover specials…

@Chie:

I was already so happy when I heard Moffat was finally leaving as showrunner. I’ve been waiting for this.

I remember, back when Russel T. Davies was the showrunner, I really liked a lot of the episodes he wrote then and wished he’d take over. I soon came to regret that when it actually happened.

As terrible as some of the episodes were during his run – I ended up missing the Davies years after a while.

@Gussie Jives:

I honestly don’t like to consider myself a fan of anything anymore, mostly because – as much as I still like certain works and the mediums they’re in – I’ve had to deal with so many comicbook fans and hardcore gamers that’ve made me embarrassed to associate with them even by that label. Part of it is the dedication of “preserving” the state of certain material ends up becoming obsessive (whether it’s a superheroine’s revealing costume or claiming videogames should only be “fun”) to an irrational degree.

For one example: a friend of mine on Facebook literally spent three paragraphs or so complaining about how, in live-action adaptations of superhero comics, they don’t refer to characters by their superhero name when bringing up Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. There’re other times I’ve had to deal with people who seem to think race- or gender-swapping fictional characters is the worst thing imaginable – while sometimes arguing that white, straight male characters can (somehow) represent non-white, LGBT, female individuals. It’s also come to the point where I almost become angry when people complain about the costumes being changed, because having to hear why Superman’s outside underpants are so goddamn integral to his character just ended up making my blood boil.

The last point because, at least to me, how the costume looks is the least consequential thing to as I care about the narrative and characterization far more than that. I’m not saying it isn’t important on some level but, well, there’s nothing that make one’s tolerance wane like reading defenses of why Power Girl needs to have a boob window so much and how it’s a “classic design” that should never be changed ever

I can’t help but see this as being akin to people, back when cinema was just a “moving pictures” novelty, complaining about how The Great Train Robbery and A Trip to the Moon were ruining the medium by actually being about things instead of just showing random objects or people in motion.

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

Thiiiiisssssss

So many people are raised to think that they’re ‘special’ in some way, and that they have to “cut their own path’. While it’s not terrible advice, in most people it just turns into “oppose everything on principle” as they get older, because of how smartie-smart they are. I’m lookin’ at you, internet-smart-guys.

Someone on the last page was pointing out the tweet that called out Hillary; I can’t help but read it as “Oh my god, can you imagine how insufferable tha womz would be if Hillary had won? I mean, based on how insufferable I’m being right now, they’d be, like, ten times worse!”

I’ve never watched Dr Who, but it looks cool, and if I watched much TV it’d be near the top of my list. I’d like to be a who down in whoville.

You know, I’m beginning to think Sherlock was never actually good–it felt like the setup for something really good, and we were all excited about it in the hopes that it would turn out really satisfying.

So we were willing to overlook that Sherlock is an unrepentant raging jackoff who never suffers any consequences on the assumption that it’s the beginning of an arc. We were willing to overlook that none of the mysteries make any goddamn sense in the hopes that it would all come together later.

But nope. Anything annoying about the show only gets more so as it goes on.

Nanny Oggs Bosom
Nanny Oggs Bosom

Testing, testing, does this work now?

David thinks it’s the apostrophe, so I’ve taken it out.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I tried watching Sherlock after hearing that it emphasises the obvious autistic traits of the character… Only to see that it was done in the most offensively ableist way possible. Ugh.

Feel free to enjoy the show yourself, but I’ll take RDJ’s Sherlock any day.

Robert Walker-Smith
Robert Walker-Smith

Chie Satonako – it’s curious that Moffat would have commented that about casting a man to play Queen Elizabeth. It happened in “Orlando”, back in 1992. Quentin Crisp was the actor.

My husband and son are much bigger Doctor fans than me, at least for the last three Doctors. My first was Jon Pertwee, and you never forget your first Doctor. I’ve joked that I stopped reading “X-Men” before Wolverine was introduced, and stopped watching the Doctor before the sonic screwdriver.

JS
JS

Emphasizes autistic traits to the point of making Sherlock a “high-functioning sociopath” (Sherlock’s own diagnosis at the end of Season 3 I think). I don’t think that’s where autism naturally leads, Moffatt.

It’s certainly a wierd take on Sherlock, I don’t think Doyle had anything quite like that in mind. Savant, yes, eccentric as heck, yes, addicted to cocaine, a little, but sociopath? Never in the books that I read.

WTF source material was he using.

Odd though, I still like the show.

numerobis
numerobis

Doctor Who in 2027: I’d watch that! Well… maybe. I rarely watch anything.

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

HBomberguy had a lengthy video on YouTube explaining exactly that. I actually gave it three seasons worth of attention hoping for more Blind Bankers and less Reichenbach Fall, but it never really settled into a comfortable mode where the case was what took centre stage.

I could be biased because I grew up watching them, but Jeremy Brett is the definitive Holmes for me. He was quirky, overly dramatic for sure, but with a flair of performance for his audience (be it Watson or Lestrade or the guilty party). But (and this is where House MD fell off the rails as well) whatever was happening with Holmes, his client always came first. Indulging too much in the “asshole” Holmes just totally assassinates the character.

If my fellow Mammotheers are interested in a solid mystery franchise free of any Steven Moffat shenanigans, check out the David Suchet Poirot series. The guy adapted every Poirot story between 1989 and 2013. Even I haven’t seen every episode. Some are adapted better than others and some of Christie’s stories weren’t the strongest, but when Christie was on her game, Suchet knocks them out of the park.

I actually found the last 5 series on Netflix, so check ’em out.

Falconer

I mean, I haven’t watched Sherlock in ages, but I’m not sure I’d trust Mr. Extra to self-diagnose. But then I still think Irene was playing him all through her episode.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ JS

I don’t think Doyle had anything quite like that in mind.

Holmes’ characterisation is all over the place in the originals*; but of course Doyle wasn’t even slightly concerned about continuity, just writing good stories. Part of the fun of Holmes is coming up with theories to reconcile all the inconsistencies. Some people suggest Holmes demonstrates symptoms of manic depression at times; but it’s equally arguable he just gets bored easily.

(*For example, as I’m sure you know, in one story he doesn’t know the Earth goes around the Sun. In another he’s just had a paper published on his theory explaining changes in the ecliptic.)

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

Sweeties

Honies

Darlings

Sherlock

Is not a television show. No no no. If you want to swim in the Victorian sea of mystery, if you want to breathe in the London fog and pipe smoke. If you want to immerse yourselves. Turn off your TV and throw the remote out of the window. And go get this

comment image

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective

This glorious board game was written by historians and authors, experts on the time and on the Sherlock mythos. It turns you into Victorian detective, solving mysteries and trying to follow in Sherlock’s footsteps. And did I say board game? This thing’s packed with a book so thick it could be confused for a physics textbook, filled with lush prose. Make no mistake, this thing is a story game that will give you numerous evenings of absolute joy.

See that big board? That’s London of the era. You can go practically anywhere – no dice, no stilted rules. Just a mystery to solve and not enough time to solve it in. See those white papers up there? Those are newspapers for you to trawl through for clues. See that sheaf of red booklets? Each one a new mystery to wrap yourself up in for an evening.

One to eight players. One to eight. You can play this game yourself, on your own, just you trying to dig through the mystery like a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book that’s so lush it fills your coffee table. Or you and your loved one can cuddle up on the couch and talk and agonize and share these mysteries together. Or invite over your friends and have the most amazing get-together ever – every week – for three months. Or take it down to the pub and sit with your mates with some pints as you puzzle and think and laugh and talk together.

Watch Sherlock? Watch? No no, lovelies, come be Sherlock. This thing until recently was out of print, and could only be bought for robbery prices on eBay. It would regularly fetch $200 USD for a used copy – and people would buy it for that. Now there’s a new edition just released, with an expansion! You get:

* The Strange Case of Dr. Goldfire
* The Murder of Sherlock Holmes
* A Case of Identity
* The Death of a Transylvanian Count
* A Royal Huggermugger at the Savage Club
* A Simple Case of Murder

And you get the Jack the Ripper Cases

* Mary Ann Nichols
* Annie Chapman
* Elizabeth Stride, Catherine Eddowes
* Mary Jane Kelly

Jack the Ripper cases! That’s almost a full season of mysteries, right there. I just bought this box for $80 CDN. Eight bucks an episode, cheaper than a movie and I can guarantee I’ll get way more enjoyment out of it.

Treat yourselves, friends. Go buy this box. Buy it, and arrange a dinner party. Make a nice beef wellington with horseradish sauce and yorkshire pud and nips and tatties and mushy peas. Buy some bitter ale. Invite some close friends for a dinner party that no one’ll ever forget. If you like the mythos of Sherlock Holmes, even if you’re terrible at puzzles and deduction, you – will – love – this – game.

Watch Sherlock. pcchhhh.

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

@Gussie Jives:

Yes. The Warhammer 40,000 fandom.

(Warning: the very tealest of dears.)

Maybe it was always bad and I didn’t notice, maybe I was just a different person then, but when I was a teenager I remember it being a really welcoming space. The fact that it was based around a social activity lent it structure and meant that teaching others and supporting others was prioritised. Most importantly, people were encourage to be creative: people painted and wrote, and they shared this creativity with one another. I was an awful model painter and still am, but if I showed my models to people then they would respond positively and show me theirs.

(I’ve said before that I think the experience of mutual creativity is one of the most powerful things that a community can do to make a positive space.)

Yes, the subject matter was bleak, but even that felt like a good thing. When you’re a depressed teenager, it’s often easier to participate in things which have a veneer of melancholia. Beneath that veneer, it was a way of getting depressed teenagers to feel creative and to entertain one another whilst doing so; or at least that’s the experience I got from it.

I started to drift out of the community when I got into RPGs in university, but even then it was a common touchstone with so many people. We might not play a game from one year to the next, but if someone made a Nurgle joke then everyone would get it and laugh. It was almost a nerd lingua franca.

Sometime in that period, though, the community became far less healthy. Maybe it’s just my experience, but I noticed that there was less sharing of one’s own artistic creation and more obsession with rote memorisation of a fixed body of text. At the same time, people’s armies stopped being a form of self-expression and started being determined by whatever the internet forums had decided was the optimal choice. People started using terms like viable and fluffy. Some people even started representing games as a show of dominance rather than a good time between friends.

I don’t know whether it’s a coincidence, but this is also the time (2008-2012) at which I started noticing that people had lost their sense of humour. The ridiculous over-the-top-grimdark was no longer being played as a terrible joke, and the veneer of melancholia had stopped being just a veneer. The community was becoming pretty dogmatic about it, too; whenever people wrote fluff with a hopeful or humanistic tone, it ended up buried under a torrent of Actuallys.

Maybe it was this or maybe it was the way that the community had stopped experiencing the world as a game and started experiencing it as a series of books and video games, but it seemed to me that there was just less creativity all around. People weren’t treating the official text as a starting-point for their own creations so much as a complete and unextendable canon.

Then there were the Nazis, but I remember them as being mostly after that point.

I don’t read any of the forums any more. The last game I played was an old-school Necromunda campaign, which was a blast but was almost eighteen months ago. The community is a really toxic place now. I don’t think they miss me.

Maybe it was always like that. Certainly, it was always white and male. Maybe I never noticed how bad it was. Maybe I was like that too at the time and just became a better person. I think, however, that it got a lot worse.

Katz

Sherlock feels more like an adaptation of the mythos rather than the original stories in some ways. So their Sherlock seems to draw a ton of influence from Sherlock-type characters like House. Consequently, he feels like a distillation of a distillation; every Sherlockian trait is magnified and exaggerated, whereas any traits outside the archetype are stripped away.

It makes sense that people like Sherlock because archetypes go straight to the heart of what we as a culture like (canonically straight white men teasing a m/m relationship!), but ultimately I think the beekeeper in AA builds more attachment because he feels like a real person, not a conglomeration of traits audiences like.

@Scildfreja Unnyðnes: Sweeeeet.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Gussie
Seconding praise for Brett and Suchet as Holmes and Poirot

Citizen Rat
Citizen Rat

Put me up as someone else who is over the moon over the fact that Moffat is no longer head writer of the Whoniverse. I was afraid what he’d do with the first woman Doctor.

I am really looking forward to watching Dr Who again!

Katz

Linky?

The Blind Banker had its issues, but it was one of the few episodes that had a beginning, a middle, and an end, and the solution wasn’t “it didn’t really happen” or “a mastermind was orchestrating everything.”

kupo
kupo

Is that BritBox? Because they don’t have any modern Who right now, just classic. :'(

I looked on BBC America’s website and it’s apparently exclusive to Amazon Prime streaming, which, unless I’m missing something, requires a season pass rather than being included. I’m really starting to dislike this trend on Prime. I can’t watch the new Twin Peaks without a subscription to the channel it’s on, either.

@Citizen Rat:

I am really looking forward to watching Dr Who again!

Welcome back! We’re settling in to wait out the long hiatus. The hope and plan is we get a series in 2018, but everything’s switching over to Chris Chibnall so there might be a few delays.

Chie Satonaka
Chie Satonaka

I love that movie! It’s where I first saw Tilda Swinton. She’s amazing in everything she does.

JS
JS

Most recent DW episode I watched was the new series ones involving the Corpse Monks.

The ending felt wrong. I mean, sure, it should have worked based on the story, but… there was just something weird about it. “Your mom just went viral” made me laugh, and then cringe at it being the Doctor saying it.

@kupo:

Yeah, BritBox is what I was thinking of. I guess I remembered wrong!

That’s weird. We buy it on Amazon Video without a Prime membership, it’s like $3 an episode in HD. But then we are in the States.

dreemr
dreemr

I watched the hbomberguy dissection of “Sherlock” and he makes a lot of very good points.

However, I still like the first two seasons. For me it didn’t really fall apart until season 3, when they couldn’t come up with a good solution to the cliffhanger at the end of season 2 (where Sherlock fakes his death, kind of, apparently). Its just all downhill from there.

hbomberguy also really likes the character of Mary, and I could not stand that character. Like the actor a lot, just really disliked her character for some reason. And seasons 2 & 3 seem nearly all about her.

kupo
kupo

@Falconer
I’m also in the states. I think the streaming service is branded with the Prime name even if you’re not a Prime member. Wouldn’t be the first confusing naming scheme I’ve seen. 😉

Falconer

@JS — yes, the first two eps in that arc were great, but then the lottery or whatever landed on Toby Whithouse, who proceeded to be Toby Whithouse and let us all down.

Gipsz Jakab
Gipsz Jakab

OK, correct me if I’m wrong… Sherlock is admittedly not a perfect show, but wasn’t a major point of this version of Sherlock Holmes’ character arc that he talks big about how he’s a “sociopath” who’s all logic with no human attachments, but when push comes to shove, he really does have people he genuinely cares about and considers friends (despite acting superficially abrasive)? John and Mary Watson most of all, but Mrs. Hudson, Molly Hooper and Greg Lestrade also come to mind.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@Scildfreja

Sign me the fuck up.

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

This brings up a question I’ve had that maybe my fellow Brits can help with.

I don’t plan to have a TV in the near future. There is almost nothing I want to watch. But the laws on TV licencing are damn strict, to the point where you might need to buy one just to own a laptop?

I get mixed messages on it. My question is: do I have to have one even if I only ever use Amazon to buy TV series?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ sunnysombrera

If you just buy programmes/series to download and watch at your leisure, no.

If you watch any sort of real-time broadcast (ie, you don’t choose the time, it starts at the same time for everyone) then, yes.

ETA:

Moggie
Moggie

I’ll nth the recommendation to watch hbomberguy’s “Sherlock is garbage” video. It’s nearly two hours long, and I watched it all, despite never having watched Sherlock (and not intending to in future). Hbomberguy is one of the few youtubers I know who can make long videos which are worth watching.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I watch stuff on Amazon on my computer all the time. I don’t see why you’d have one. I do think it’s worthwhile to get one and hook up a Fire stick of Apple TV or other similar devices. The sound and picture or so much better on a TV and you can’t really host any kind of movie night without one.

Miss Edgy Nation
Miss Edgy Nation

Let’s replace Julia Roberts pretty woman for pretty bloke

I would totally watch that.

Moggie
Moggie

reggie, the neighbour’s cat:

Hi again, frequent lurker and infrequent poster coming out of the woodwork because I have a few questions about the genital reassignment tweet. Does the tweeter not understand the concept of regeneration at all? Do they think the Doctor gets surgery to change from one to the next? Or do they – and forgive me for being a bit explicit here, but I’m not sure what other option there is – do they think that when the Doctor’s body changes each time his penis stays the same? The magical one penis fits all for the Doctor? So much to think about.

That’s… actually an interesting premise for a show. An eternal peen, travelling through time and space, righting wrongs, while its owner changes, and everyone misses the point about the source of the hero’s power. No, on second thoughts, that sounds more porny than Moffaty. Let’s not.

Suggested title: A Winkle in Time.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

If Pretty Woman was remade with the genders flipped, wouldn’t misogynists just complain about how Hollywood was trying to make it socially acceptable for older women to be with hot young Chad types?

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Unrelated: Okay, how the hell are so many people surprised that R Kelly, who’s been more famous for being a monstrous child rapist who keeps getting away with it than for being a rapper for well over a decade, is in fact a monstrous child rapist who keeps getting away with it? What bloody colour do they think the sky is? O_o

Katz

To me, that’s where it seemed like it was planning to go, or have some kind of arc where his friendship with John helps him learn to relate to people.

But it just…didn’t. He locks John in a lab to use him as an unwitting guinea pig in an experiment. That’s not what you do to someone you genuinely care about.

Citizen Rat
Citizen Rat

hbomberguy’s hilariously good at dissecting why Sherlock isn’t very good and why Moffat should not be given free rein when writing.

If you want more SJW-y related stuff from him, I recommend his reply to The Golden One and “Why it’s actually EMPOWERING to be a titninja”.

@Moggie: Slow. Clap.

varalys the dark

I haven’t had a TV service since 2006 in the UK and as long as you don’t use iPlayer and don’t subscribe to a broadcast TV package that includes Freeview channels, you’re good. I actually “renewed” my lack of TV licence at the weekend. Quick phonecall to TV Licencing and they’ll sign you off for another couple of years and it means they won’t spam your address with demands either.

Chie Satonaka
Chie Satonaka

Thank you guys so much for introducing me to hbomberguy! Listening to his PUA response video right now.

BS and his four fluffy kitties
BS and his four fluffy kitties

The Master (the Doctor’s archrival/friend/fellow Time Lord/it’s complicated) regenerated as a woman two or 3 years ago, and my understanding is that in the classic show (I really only know the resurrected show from the 9th Doctor on) the possibility of regenderation was raised.

I’d been very frustrated with Moffat, basically ever since Jenna Coleman came on as the companion, just because the show seemed to have more and more continuity mistakes, even for a time travel show. And Even though I think Matt Smith was a good doctor, I thought his natural comedic ability let them play the doctor off as goofy a little too often. I enjoyed that Capaldi brought some of the darkness back to the character, and I think this most recent season was very good, with a lot of good liberal themes and anti-fascist rants by the doctor.

Anyway, I hope the next Doctor is non-white.