aggrieved entitlement baby men entitled babies masculinity men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny no girls allowed transphobia twitter

The best worst reactions to the news that the next Doctor Who will be a woman

Jodie Whittaker, the next Doctor Who

The Summer 2017 WHTM pledge drive is on! Donate generously to enable our continuing coverage of whiny baby-men! Thanks!

By David Futrelle

A tragic day for whiny baby-men — the BBC just announced that the next Doctor Who will be a lady. Naturally, these sensitive souls took at once to Twitter to make their displeasure known. And to make jokes about Doctor Who turning into Nurse Who amirite fellas high five!

Here are some of the best of the worst Tweets I’ve seen so far. I can’t decide which are my favorites — the ones lamenting the loss of a crucial male “role model” or those suggesting that a female Doctor Who makes as much sense as a male Mary Poppins (which would be perfectly fine to me, by the way).

No, I don’t understand what that last one means either.

Swedish Sexual Bread
Swedish Sexual Bread

The numbering issue is simple: She’s the 13th Doctor, the 14th face of the time lord known as the Doctor, and the 15th regeneration. (my theory on the Mobius Faces is that they are versions of The Other, who seems to be strongly related to the Doctor)

Nathan Hevenstone

@Alan

I’m on Gallifrey Base, though I’m avoiding it right now because I’m just not interested in reading all the negativity and doomsaying and “that’s it, I’m not watching anymore” bullshit.

(Side note: I did read some of it for a bit, and a lot of the negative reactions to Jodie Whittaker on Gallifrey Base are coming from posters who identified as, or who I “know” [in the context of various selfie threads on the forum and such] as, women… a lot more of the men there seem to be excited… I’m perplexed by that. Why would that be?)

@Matchstick

Sorry! I should have been clearer! But Swedish Sex Bread said it better than me:

Jon Hurt’s incarnation technically wasn’t calling himself “The Doctor”, after all. Plus the marketing is calling her 13, so…

Also…

Ooh! Now that’s an idea! I like that…

Elizabeth Regina
Elizabeth Regina

I’m so excited about this.

And the fact that it’ll be a bit less…Moffaty.

Sorry, although I’m a fan of both Sherlock and Dr Who and sometimes his style is a bit overwrought.

The people who are complaining before they watched it are the exact people who say they want merit-based judgement, not judgement on gender.

You haven’t watched the show.

Therefore you are judging solely on gender.

Not merit.

You divvies.

Zephkiel
Zephkiel

I must say I love Doctor Who, but, like… not the TV show. If that makes any sense at all. I mean the show’s neat when it doesn’t try to take itself too seriously, but the short stories and comics and books are so much better. I read a Who novel by Michael Moorcock last year and it was the most fun I’ve had reading anything in AGES.

I do look forward to reading adventures starring the 13th Doctor and her companions though.

Kootiepatra

From WWTH: “I also saw some tired ass jokes on twitter about how a feeemale will be unable to drive the Tardis and how it’s unrealistic to expect feeemales to know how to use a screwdriver.”

Okay, I get that these dudes are trying to make har-dee-har “just a joke” sexist stereotype jokes, but… I mean, did they miss the whole River Song arc, or what?

Re: william parslow’s tweet, and others like it–there’s a major correlation/causation assumption here. “Feminists were calling for a female doctor, therefore the BBC gave it to them, therefore they won.”

True fact: Some feminists (and some non-feminists!) wanted to see a female Doctor.

Also true fact: The new Doctor will be female.

Unproven assumption: the latter is directly a result of the former.

Fandoms are filled with all kinds of people clamoring for all kinds of different fan service all the time. Yeah, creators will sometimes throw the fans a bone, but they also have to filter out an awful lot of petitions, suggestions, demands, and begging, because people are always asking for and hoping for things. Sometimes the things would make the show worse, sometimes the things just don’t fit the creator’s vision, sometimes the things are directly contradictory to what another segment of the fandom is also demanding, so the creators couldn’t unilaterally bow to fan pressure even if they wanted to.

Most major successful creative works aren’t driven by a “YOU decide what happens next!” model. But–in true-to-form projection–because the internet alt-right try to get their way by throwing noisy tantrums, they assume that the Doctor Who creators must be caving to a feminist tantrum instead of their own.

Dudes. DUDES. What if… and I know this is hard to imagine, but WHAT IF the show creators actually wanted a female Doctor *because they thought it was a legitimately cool thing to do*?

DAvid
DAvid

The hate game is pretty weak on this one. It’s almost as if their decreput hearts aren’t in it.

Makroth - wild west firecracker window-smashing soap-averse unionized cowboy Jacobin from Hell

All the whiners have been okay with an entirely different person being the Doctor, but only as long as that person was a man. And they have given no reason for that besides misogyny.

Andy Cooper
Andy Cooper

Honestly, I would have been absolutely jumping for joy if Phoebe Waller-Bridge had bagged the role (as predicted by many). Because she’s awesome in so many ways.

Jodie Whittaker, though? Brilliant actor. 🙂

I’m just glad it’s not another Matt Smith-type. No offense to any Smith fans out there, but his ‘timey-wimey’ Doctor was my least favourite (and I’ve been a fan of the show since the Tom Baker years). Way too childlike. The best Doctors have a thick layer of darkness running through their characters (thank you, Sylvester McCoy), and Capaldi certainly satisfied there.

As for berks on the internet bleating about a female Doctor? Meh.

Swedish Sexual Bread
Swedish Sexual Bread

@Andy Cooper
I think Smith could have been significantly better, but was hurt significantly with bad writing. I’m extremely glad that I’m not the only one who thinks that McCoy is best Doctor.

DES
DES

Oh boy.

– Male Mary Poppins? Go watch Four or Eleven and tell me there hasn’t been a male Mary Poppins.

– It’s already been established that River Song drives the TARDIS better than the Doctor ever did.

– James Bond got fired after one too many sexual harassment complaints and Miss Moneypenny’s nervous breakdown. /s

– Star Wars had strong female leads from day one. Just watch the original trilogy and take a shot of Tequila every time Leia pulls idiot Luke and Han’s idiot butts out of a fire. You won’t make it halfway through Episode V.

– Caitlin Jenner as Dr Spock? I would not take parenting advice from Caitlin Jenner. We all know how that turned out. Then again, I wouldn’t take parenting advice from Dr Spock either (on the plus side, he spoke out against circumcision; on the minus side, tens of thousands of preventable deaths).

– A gender-swapped Pretty Woman? Guys, Vivian is not the heroine, she is the victim. If you want a version of the Pygmalion myth where Galatea is a role model rather than the victim or the passive object of the protagonist’s desire, go read Shaw.

OBTW, the show’s first producer was a woman, as was the creator of its iconic main theme.

@Diego Duarte — Swinton released her side of the email exchange she had with Cho, and it paints a completely different picture: http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/12/tilda-swinton-margaret-cho-emails

@Nequam — Technically, Donna was the Doctor for a brief period of time. At least according to the Ood.

Lorcan Nagle
Lorcan Nagle

Liz
July 16, 2017 at 8:00 pm
Can I suggest another Tweet for the list?

Sorry if the embed doesn’t work. First time commenting!

I think this one deserves some context. Ian Levine is a record producer who came to some modest success in the late 70s through the 80s. He was one of the people who modernised the Northern Soul scene, he was the main DJ for Heaven during its early years, and was a major populariser of the Hi-NRG subgenre of dance music. He co-wrote and mixed songs for Take That, Bronski Beat, Erasure, and the Pet Shop Boys amongst other popular acts.

And he is a self-professed Doctor Who superfan. He ingratiated himself to the production team in the mid-80s, becoming a story and continuity consultant, most notably contributing plot points to the Colin Baker era serial Attack of the Cybermen. When Baker’s Who was put on hiatus, he put together a charity song called Doctor in Distress, which was woeful. In later years he’s found lost episodes of the show and returned them to the BBC, produced extras for various DVD releases, and paid for animation to be produced for a DVD release of the unfinished Tom Baker serial Shada, but it was rejected by the commissioning editor.

Since the 90s, he’s become increasingly a polarising figure in Who fandom, throwing around his links to the production office, while also loudly quitting fandom and returning repeatedly. He’s frequently held up as an example of how toxic fandom can be, especially when the writers of a show start listening to the kind of people who are more obsessed with ensuring consistency than storytelling.

(Not that consistency is a bad thing, but slavishly holding to continuity, especially in a show that has never really cared about it before is just… no)

Andy Cooper
Andy Cooper

@Swedish:

McCoy is second best in my opinion.

I started watching Who during the 70s (when I was 4 or 5), so Tom Baker IS the Doctor for me. Always has been. And he was brilliantly nutty.

But Sylvester McCoy? Incredible. He really explored the potential darkness of the character. The writing was excellent, and I remember really enjoying the hints throughout his tenure that the Doctor is actually a being far more powerful, mysterious and dangerous than the average Timelord.

I’d agree with you that Matt Smith was snookered by the writing. But the childlike characterisation of his Doctor was a turnoff for me as well…

Jimbtho
Jimbtho

I am a mental health nurse, and a man. People who make jokes that imply ‘doctors are male, nurses are female’ don’t offend me; I just pity them.

Roadkill_Rabbit
Roadkill_Rabbit

@latsot
“Well, technically he’s just Spock. He just gets called “Mr” a lot by racist Starfleet people. What would that title even mean to an alien?”

A can of worms has been opened! 😀 In all fun; I would assume that the universal translator would ensure the title’s meaning is put across. And of course Spock is half human, I’m rather sure his mother taught him enough about human aspects that he would know such a title. Nor is it racist to use an honorific, we are never shown Spock having an alternate honorific that he prefers.

I… may have done my honours on Star Trek >.>

latsot
latsot

@Roadkill:

Maybe I should seal the can back up, but….

My comment about Starfleet being racist is largely due to the treatment of Vulcans in general. Spock is routinely and universally ridiculed for his logical approach, Tuvok is forced to put up with Neelix’ (OK, technically not Starfleet) constant abuse etc.

In one episode, Tuvok even complains about Starfleet’s institutional racism, which caused him to quit Starfleet (he rejoined later).

The deliberate use of an inappropriate honorific seems to me like an extension of that racism. On the other hand, as people here have noted, “Mr” – in the movies at least – is applied to people regardless of gender. Again, I believe this is a Roddenberry thing. I think he wanted Starfleet to be gender-blind, so everyone got the same title. Granted, it was a blithering idea to make this “Mr” but perhaps his heart was in the right place. It didn’t extend to pronouns either, making it especially ill-conceived.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Starfleet’s rank structure seems to be a mixture of US Navy, USAF, and US Coastguard.

The ‘Mister’ honorific was used by the Navy until 1972. They then abandoned it in favour of just saying the rank. But presumably some time in the next few hundred years it comes back into fashion.

bluecat
bluecat

From facebook “[UK] Chancellor Philip Hammond points out that driving a Tardis is so easy even a woman can do it.”

I secretly hoped for Cathy Tyson. Not that she was in the running as far as I know.

She’d have been good but she’d also have made the manospherians’ heads explode.

Nanny Ogg's Bosom
Nanny Ogg's Bosom

I was frightened by the Daleks as a child; it left scars I tells ya!

I watched some of the earlier series as a kid, everyone did I think and my Who watching has been sporadic since the first Christopher Eccleston episodes. I’m a casual fan, in that if it’s on the telly I won’t turn it off or over, but I don’t generally go out of my way to watch an episode. I missed the whole of the Capaldi incarnation because of telly issues. It’s not a big deal, I’ll catch up eventually. I’ll probably watch a few episodes of the new series and the Christmas Special to see if I want to keep watching.

That being said, even as a casual Watcher of The Doctor I seem to know more about the programme than most of the twits complaining about having a woman as Time Lord. I picked most of it up from my friends who are more into it and watching a few episode. Boggles my mind that they don’t know the Doctor can regenerate into any form, and that there was always going to be a woman playing the Doctor because the original writer thought there should be, sometime in the 80’s (a couple of other people have already mentioned this).

I’m bored of all the wailing and whining about how terrible it is that a woman has finally got the role, and hope that the writing for her will be as good as she deserves. I’m sick of all the complaints that the BBC is run by a bunch of lefties. Hahaha, the BBC has consistently shown a right wing bias for decades. There was a recent Oxford study showing that whichever party was in power the Tories always had more representation, and the political editor, Laura Keunsberg (I know I’ve spelt her name wrong but I can’t be bothered to look it up) has been reprimanded for her bias and outright lies during the last year. My social media for the last couple of days has been full of people complaining, and other people taking the mick out of the ignorance of the people complaining. Can’t wait for the noise to die down.

P.S.

I am still in moderation. I have emailed David and am waiting for a reply. Hopefully, soon I’ll be able to have conversations with you all properly.

P.P.S

From what I’ve seen of their characters I love River Song, and also the Lizard Lady and her potato-shaped butler.

IgnoreSandra

My thoughts on The Doctor are complicated.

On the one hand, this is long overdue and gets no points from me because the 2nd Doctor should have been a woman.

And on the other hand, this is still a 13-card streak of only white Doctors. Plus, Jodie Whittaker is like blonde and cis and conventionally attractive. So there’s very little actually progressive there.

Doctor Who should have had women Doctors back when that actually would have been progressive. Right now, it just doesn’t come across as genuine.

But on the third hand, representation matters. And it is important to break a ridiculous streak of only men playing The Doctor.

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

I was really into Doctor Who at one point, but not much these days. I do keep some related art prints up on my wall, but that’s because they’re Art Nouveau in style and reference Gustav Klimt pieces.

All that said: its rather absurd that – with a two-hearted time-traveler who becomes a different person with every death, uses a gadget that is whatever the plot needs it to be at that point, and has a rogues gallery who have all supposedly killed off many times and come back anyway – The Doctor being female makes them lose their collective shit.

Reminds me of how people try to excuse a lack of prominent women or people of color in high fantasy by saying the completely fictitious (thus, made-up) setting is suppose to represent feudal Europe and blah, blah, fucking blah. I’d get not liking some aspect of the narrative, how someone is characterized, or the dialogue – but it’s incredibly odd to argue that women and non-white individuals being more present are the most unbelievable thing in a world with magic, dragons, orcs, and whatnot.

Lindsey Ellis observed this with The Transformers films recently too…

One last thing: Dave Cullen is so goddamn annoying.

reggie, the neighbour's cat
reggie, the neighbour's cat

Hi again, frequent lurker and infrequent poster coming out of the woodwork because I have a few questions about the genital reassignment tweet. Does the tweeter not understand the concept of regeneration at all? Do they think the Doctor gets surgery to change from one to the next? Or do they – and forgive me for being a bit explicit here, but I’m not sure what other option there is – do they think that when the Doctor’s body changes each time his penis stays the same? The magical one penis fits all for the Doctor? So much to think about.

dashapants
dashapants

What always irks me about this is the “role model” objection.

Girls have absolutely no trouble with male characters for role models (and not necessarily from dearth of female role models, but because children don’t limit their aspirations and pretend games by gender or species or whatever), so why would boys be unable to cope with having opposite gender role models? I am not even going to say that boys are socialized away from it. Maybe that’s true somewhere, but in my own childhood experience they were not. Boys I knew and played with had no problem whatsoever with having female role models in fiction as in real life. So, uh, sorry angry twitter dudes, the problem you allude to is not a problem for the developing male psyche. Boys cope with it just fine.

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

Actually, a female James Bond (Jane Bond?) sounds pretty badass. Globetrotting, getting wasted on vodka martinis, bedding dudes half her age in time to save Queen and Country from a camp 60s villain.

Somebody make this happen! And make her boss Helen Mirren.

But sheesh, the fragility of these people’s fandom is just priceless. I mean, is this really all that it took to go from “I love Doctor Who” to “I hope Doctor Who fails” is that the Doctor’s regenerated appearance now resembles a human lacking a Y chromosome. I’m not a Whovian so I don’t know much about Gallifreyans (are they even gendered?) but I’m willing to bet dollars to donuts that there have been other Time Lords portrayed that confirm to the humanoid female appearance.

Might as well break out a new hashtag: #FandomSoFragile.

Falconer
Falconer

@banned@4chan:

The thirteenth and final Doctor Who is going to be female? And people are acting like it’s unfair?

Nequam:

I thought they manage to rescind the regeneration limit for the Doctor?

That’s right! How could they not? And it’s not like the show broke its own rules — the Time Lords offered the Master a new regeneration cycle in “The Five Doctors.”

@Swedish Sexual Bread:

I am one of the people who didn’t like what Moffat did to the series. My main area of complaint is that the plot arcs always left a niggling little piece missing, that rarely ever got resolved.

It’s been a lot less massively arc-y like that, though. Lot more character-driven arcs.

History Nerd
History Nerd

@Alan

There’s a tradition of using “sir” to address a woman in the Navy who has a higher rank than you.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

(Not my work, appeared on Facebook)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Falconer

The same story that introduced the 12 regenerations limit (“The Deadly Assassin”) also explicitly stated that Gallifreyan technology allowed a way of granting a new cycle. Getting an extra 12 regenerations was the whole point of the Master’s plan. So it’s hardly regeneration ex machina.

(Well, technically it’s exactly that, but you get my drift)

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

@DES

Her side? That article seems very skewed in its portrayal of the conversation. It chooses to ommit Cho’s words and focuses on the more positive aspects of Swinton’s replies.

Even the whole going to Cho to ask why Asians were upset by her casting as The Ancient One seems awfully akin to Donald Trump telling April Ryan to set up a meeting with the Black congressional caucus (because Black people all know each other, and pressumably so do Asians right? And it’s apparently the job of an Asian person to educate her as if she couldn’t google a controversy that has been going on for years).

@Pretty much everyone else

How did people get started on Dr. Who? I confess I’ve been aware of the fandom for a long time but, just as with Star Trek, I find that the series has run for such a long time that the prospect of binging it seems very tedious. Will I still understand what’s going on if I skip on every previous season?

History Nerd
History Nerd

I know Trump supporters who like the knew Star Wars movies, so I’m guessing the people complaining about them are the really consciously ideologically committed white supremacists.

Gipsz Jakab
Gipsz Jakab

@Diego Duarte:

Watching it from the 2005 revival is a decent middle ground if you feel intimidated by binging literally decades’ worth of episodes but don’t want to miss out on recent plot points. (That’s ten seasons, with about thirteen episodes each on average, so it’s not unmanageable.)

Be warned that the show has its ups and downs. There are a few infamously terrible episodes (such as “Love & Monsters”), but also a good amount of solid, enjoyable ones and some true, memorable gems.

Falconer
Falconer

@Diego Duarte, this next season is a whole new start. New showrunner, new Doctor, new Companion. 54 years of history, but it’s not Deep Space 9. Lately I’ve been thinking about it as a sort of anthology series. Most of the modern episodes stand on their own, or are part of a two-parter. You don’t need to know exactly what went down on Telos, or the Wheel in Space, or the Moonbase, or on the freighter, to “get” an episode with the Cybermen, for instance. In fact, the show is downright allergic to the notion of canon.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

How did people get started on Dr. Who?

In the 70s there were like four television programmes and no other forms of indoor entertainment, so it was pretty much all there was to do if it was raining.

Will I still understand what’s going on if I skip on every previous season?

Doctor Who has a proud and longstanding tradition of ensuring you won’t understand what’s going on even if you have seen every previous season.

(I’m looking at you, “Warrior’s Gate”)

DES
DES

@Diego Duarte

Of course it omitted (or rather, paraphrased) Cho’s side of the conversation. That’s basic netiquette. Unless you have explicit permission, you do not publicly quote a private conversation. But my point is that Cho grossly misrepresented Swinton’s emails.

Lorcan Nagle
Lorcan Nagle
Reply to  Diego Duarte

Diego Duarte
July 17, 2017 at 9:18 am

Doctor Who is much lighter on continuity than other SF series, starting with the new series will probably be fine. All you need to know is that the Doctor is an alien who travels through time and space with one or more companions, usually at least one of them is a human woman.

During those travels The Doctor encounters a number of recurring foes – The Daleks, a race of mutants who’ve ensconsed themselves inside tank-like machines and hate all other life; The Cybermen, cybrorgs who forcibly ‘upgrade’ other life to be like them (they were a big influence on Star Trek’s Borg) and The Master, a rogue member of the Doctor’s own race (The Master’s most recent incarnation was female, calling herself Missy) are the three main ones.

If you want to go back a bit further, the first series of the new run, with Russell T. Davies as the head writer, Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor and Billie Piper as his companion Rose is a good start. The other best option is series 5, when Stephen Moffat takes over as head writer, Matt Smith starts as The Doctor, and Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill play his companions, Amy and Rory. The upcoming Christmas episode (there’s been an episode on Christmas Day every year since the show came back) is Moffat’s last one as head writer, and Peter Capaldi’s last as The Doctor.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ gipsz

such as “Love & Monsters”

I really liked L&M. I can see why people don’t; but I loved everything about it from the ‘lower decks’ vibe to the unreliable narrator aspect. I think it’s a nice illustration as to how flexible the show’s format is and it’s fun to see a bit of experimentation.

(I am a bit of a Who-positivist though. To me even ‘Fear Her’ is “that episode with the brilliant door joke” so I’m perhaps a bit under critical. It’s the only show I watch though so I have to get the most out of it.)

DannyBoy
DannyBoy

So, to recap, reactions were one of the following:
1: WAAAAH BEEBEESEE JUST RUINED MY CHILDHOOD/TOOK AWAY MY PERSONAL HERO
2: What next, a trans Doctor Who/Female James Bond/[insert other slippery slope here]?
3: GURLZ ALREADY HAVE ROLE MODELZ DEY DONT NEED 2 STEEL OURS!
4: I’m not sexist, but feminism ruined everything!
5: I’m not a Nazi, but Cultural Marxism ruined everything!
6: lol moar liek Nurse Who lol
7: DIS WUZ MAH FAYVRIT SHOW NOW I HATE IT CUZ PULITIKAL KUREKNIZ RUINED IT!!!

To quote the Cyberman, “There is… logic in what he says?”

Weird (Encouraged by the RESISTANCE!!!!) Eddie
Weird (Encouraged by the RESISTANCE!!!!) Eddie

Melt, MRAs… MELLLLTTTTTT!!!!!

Chie Satonaka
Chie Satonaka

I was already so happy when I heard Moffat was finally leaving as showrunner. I’ve been waiting for this. His sexism infects all of his shows, and both Doctor Who and Sherlock wore thin on me really fast. I stopped watching both and refused to come back until he left. So excited to finally have a female doctor. Would love to see a person of color as well.

The American show “Elementary” is so much better than the British Sherlock, IMHO. Lucy Liu is an awesome Watson, and the rapport she and Miller have is great. And I love finding all the little Sherlock Easter eggs they put in there.

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

Just on the topic of fandom, have any of the Mammotheers had a major break with any fandom of theirs? I only ask because this topic had me thinking of my Star Trek fandom and how it began to erode basically starting with Insurrection and carrying through first season of Enterprise when I basically gave up on it. Sure, I saw Nemesis and the first Abrams movie (to which I gave both a hearty “meh”), but the moment I saw them doing another Khan movie, I threw up my hands and gave up. I might given Discovery a chance, but it’d better get back to some good ol’ fashioned human condition exploring.

But that’s probably the only heavy-duty fandom I fell off of. Comics I tended to be more a casual fan of and Star Wars I weathered the bad prequels and questionable special editions… some video games devolved into bad storytelling (looking your way Blizzard) but I’m the kind of guy that once he gets really into something goes all in and it takes a lot for me to break with it.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

Thanks for the replies. I guess since the show constantly goes against canon I might pick it up this time around.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Gussie

Not quite that, but Atomic Blonde comes out next week. James Bond meets John Wick but feeemale, and I’m so hype!!!

@Chie

Up til I saw season 4 of the latter, I mighta disagreed with this point. But, nah, you got it. Moffat, I am disappoint…

Ellesar
Ellesar

I don’t have a dog in the Doctor Who discussion really, but I do think it’s a shame that a role-model has been taken away from young boys

I have 2 sons and they loved Dr Who (9 and 6 when it returned) – NEVER saw the Doctor as a male role model, my son just said when I asked him ‘no, he’s fictional’!

Chie Satonaka
Chie Satonaka

@Gussie Jives

I tend to stubbornly stick it out to the bitter end. I continue to watch The Waking Dead even though it sometimes pains me at this point. They’ll just keep throwing in these moments that are so awesome. Unfortunately those moments are getting fewer and fewer as the show goes on, but I still watch.

It was easy for me to say I was done with Doctor Who until Moffat left because the show’s had such a long history that I knew it would outlast him and I could start up again once he was gone.

@Ellesar

There are other things they’ve done with Elementary besides Lucy Liu as Watson but they are more spoilery. They clearly love the source material and everyone has great chemistry. I always felt like the British Sherlock has this adversarial attitude toward its audience but of course by that point I was already disgusted by Moffat so I totally could’ve just had my own tainted view of the whole situation.

varalys the dark

This is good news for this female fan who has mostly been watching Who since 1979. I say mostly because I bailed on Moffat’s run after the Nixon two-parter I simply could not stand his style of writing and showrunning anymore which made me a bit sad because Peter Capaldi was like one of my ideal Who candidates. Anyway now the show has been de-Moffated, I shall be returning and this news does excite me. I was hadn’t believed a woman Doctor would ever be dared, I was hoping for a PoC instead. But, this is just as cool, so I am genuinely excited about Who again for the first time in years.

Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie
Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie

… oops, forgot to update nym on this terminal… so many computers, so little memory… O_o

Ellesar
Ellesar

How did people get started on Dr. Who?

In the mid 70s we used to talk about Saturday’s episode of Dr Who at school on a Monday morning. It was essential watching if you were a kid. I stopped watching in 1979, when I was 13 – it was pretty much only aimed at kids (from my perspective).

But when it came back in 2005 I was delighted because my kids were the perfect age, and I could see that it was going to be much better.

Chie Satonaka
Chie Satonaka

And of course this latest season of Elementary featured the late Nelsan Ellis, who I also love. Okay, that’s it for me going so far off-tangent. 🙂

Falconer
Falconer

@Chie:

Pearl Mackie was in this past season, and probably in the Christmas special, too, although that hasn’t been officially confirmed yet.

Can’t say more about these last few seasons without getting into major spoilers, but I do think Moffat has exhibited a tremendous amount of growth. Rachel Talalay has directed the season finale two-parters for the last three seasons. Hettie McDonald directed the two-part starter for series 9. Catherine Tregenna and Sarah Dollard wrote for series 9, and Sarah Dollard and Rona Munro returned to write for series 10.

Moffat’s said that when he started, he assumed that talented women would rise to the top, but he discovered after series 6 that he was going to have to go looking for them, because of industry forces that held them down.

OLE IVAN

Hey, just a legit alt righter here to tell you got a shoutout on the latest episode of the Daily Shoah, on TRS.

Good work!