aggrieved entitlement baby men entitled babies masculinity men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny no girls allowed transphobia twitter

The best worst reactions to the news that the next Doctor Who will be a woman

Jodie Whittaker, the next Doctor Who

The Summer 2017 WHTM pledge drive is on! Donate generously to enable our continuing coverage of whiny baby-men! Thanks!

By David Futrelle

A tragic day for whiny baby-men — the BBC just announced that the next Doctor Who will be a lady. Naturally, these sensitive souls took at once to Twitter to make their displeasure known. And to make jokes about Doctor Who turning into Nurse Who amirite fellas high five!

Here are some of the best of the worst Tweets I’ve seen so far. I can’t decide which are my favorites — the ones lamenting the loss of a crucial male “role model” or those suggesting that a female Doctor Who makes as much sense as a male Mary Poppins (which would be perfectly fine to me, by the way).

No, I don’t understand what that last one means either.

Tosca; Chaos made Flesh, Servant of the Purring Jew
Tosca; Chaos made Flesh, Servant of the Purring Jew

I don’t have a dog in the Doctor Who discussion really, but I do think it’s a shame that a role-model has been taken away from young boys

Won’t someone think of the poor, poor young boys who will now have not a single positive male role model in the whole of popular entertainment! How can they do this to the young booooys????

Won’t somebody think of the children?????????

JS
JS

Bad things that have happened on Doctor Who (and spin offs)
Technological mind rape, Implied or visible orifice invasion, mind control, aliens eating body fat, pollution controls making things better for the incoming invasion, forced sacrifice of self for greater good, treachery, betrayal, gestalt organisms gone bad, fish vampires, sea monsters that eat people and shit rocket fuel, sentient graffiti that worked out how to eat people, genocide, homicide, hands cut off, machinery becoming human, humans becoming machinery, fascists getting their deserved punishment (again and again and again) …

and the one thing that made them stop watching is “Doctor Who is going to be a woman”. Talk about missing the point of a series entirely.

As a long time Doctor Who fan (starting with Tom Baker, and I’ve gone back to watch some of the earlier shows, too), I approve of this “change”.

Alex
Alex

They remind me of the story of Chicken Licken, all running around thinking the world is ending.

And I thought only SJWs were meant to get offended by irrelevant things? Someone should tell them the BBC are just trolling them and doing it for the Lolz, that will blow their tiny little minds.

And the BBC a Marxist, leftie bastion? Give me a break, the place is run by Tories.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

“I took Daily Mail comments from people angry about a possible Female Dr Who and turned them into episode titles for the new series”.

(My favorite is “NOBODY WANTS A TARDIS FULL OF BRAS”.)

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Hahahahaha!!!

I also saw some tired ass jokes on twitter about how a feeemale will be unable to drive the Tardis and how it’s unrealistic to expect feeemales to know how to use a screwdriver.

Okay. I’m a woman who admittedly doesn’t know shit about home repair and tools. But I’ve used a screwdriver before. Putting a metal thing into a metal hole and twisting is not some sort of amazing skill that you need PENIS POWER for. It’s kind of pathetic to hinge your masculinity on screwdriver use.

And off topic but tonight’s season premiere of Game of Thrones was fucking amazing and a lot of the kick assiest people were feeemaaaale. HAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry. I might be a bit drank off my Fire & Blood cocktail. Blood orange soda and Absolut Ruby Red grapefruit vodka. Yum.

KindaSortaHarmless
KindaSortaHarmless

I’m no Whovian, but I seem to recall something about a female Master, and seem to not recall a lot of outcry (although that was before my mammoth hunting days, so I probably just never noticed it).

History Nerd
History Nerd

@Surplus to Requirements

I think it’s like not everyone who works very hard and has opportunities available can make it into the upper middle class or “outer elite” anymore. It started out with increasing competition to get into private schools and elite public schools like UT Austin, UNC Chapel Hill, UCLA, and UC Berkeley. Then it got to the point where even people who did well at those schools couldn’t make it to the “outer elite” anymore. The economic system is also showing its weaknesses, which makes both far left and far right ideas more acceptable, so you get horrible stuff like white working class racism.

You get a breakdown in civility on the parts of the left and right that consciously aspire to run the country some day because there’s inner-movement competition (sleazy in-fighting over who gets leadership) and people trying to seize the opportunity while economic conditions are still shit. But I think the alt-right is much more dangerous than communists or the campus protesters who do less advisable stuff.

Ted Cruz tried to rig the primaries in his favor also. Pretty much every Republican except Bush and Kasich tried to rig the primaries, probably because Bush and Kasich are old school politicians. The Republican and Democratic primaries are both microcosms of what’s infecting pretty much every political movement nowadays.

JS
JS

(Spoilers for DW restart season 9/10)
They do seem to have missed “Missy” the female Master character, but she was played as being evil, they probably figured she was what they always thought women were. A nemesis of the Doctor becoming female was the way things “should be” for MRAs/etc. Most actual fans just took it as “The Master is a evil conniving trickster, so changing apparent sex to fool the Doctor is just what he might try”

Double standards, etc. etc.

History Nerd
History Nerd

But it’s amusing that right-wingers are supposedly against censorship and “political correctness,” but they whine whenever creators of a TV show or movie make a decision they find offensive.

JS
JS

It’s not amusing, it’s painful. If they weren’t so good at logical phallusies [:-)] and inconsistency, we might actually have a working political system.

They’ve gone all the way to, “More college-educated people support Democrats, so college education is bad for the country”

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

@JS

It all began when they took down the Fairness Doctrine and were pretty much allowed to air their hate on the radio under the guise of Free Speech. The problem only spiraled downward with the coming about of Fox News (1996) and the advent of Fake News. By trying to pin the blame for economic woes on African Americans and immigrants they’ve secured their rabidly racist base. A base which they will never lose btw. The problem is that the Democratic party is still delusional and does not understand that they lost because they failed to generate enthusiasm and appeal to the majority of Americans with good policies.

No, they’ve been maintaining the status quo for a while now, and they think more centrism will do the trick. That’s not how Obama won a landslide election in 2008. At this rate they’ll lose the 2018 and 2020 election.

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Agent of the FemiNest Collective; Keeper of a Hell Toupee, and all-around Intergalactic Meanie

Soooooo, does this new Doctor mean that the pretty-strongly-implied Doctor/Master romantic pairing might stop being subtext and become text?

Inquiring minds want to know.

ETA: Especially if they acknowledge that it’s been there through all of their respective incarnations….

Leah
Leah

Bill’s dead and converted into sentient oil so she could be with Heather. Did you not watch the finale?

Falconer
Falconer

@Gijoel:

Personally I’m disappointed. I would have preferred an older woman. It seems inevitable that they’ll jam some godawful love story, probably between her and Bill. Bill will be turned into a simpering idiot who will be constantly yearning for the doctor’s touch.

Without getting into spoilers, please believe me when I say, I am 100% confident that will not happen. (And no, Bill aten’t dead.)

@Skiriki: Whenever I see someone saying “Stephen Moffat ruined Doctor Who!” I wonder what show they’ve been watching thinking it’s Doctor Who, because his entire run is on the whole pretty damn excellent, IMO.

EDIT: And hey listen, I’ve sat through some real bad episodes, but my bar is a lot higher than “didn’t strangle the companion this time.”

Falconer
Falconer

@KindaSortaHarmless:

There was a lot of doubt that it actually was the Master. Even three series on, people were going “Maybe she’s the Rani! For some reason!” Buddy, listen, the Rani just wants to be left alone to perfect the Illudium Q-38 Explosive Space Modulator in peace, and thinks these irritating distractions ought to just get a room already, why is she going to impersonate the Master?

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

The thirteenth and final Doctor Who is going to be female? And people are acting like it’s unfair?

Never before has this been more appropriate:

Nequam
Nequam

I thought they manage to rescind the regeneration limit for the Doctor?

History Nerd
History Nerd

I try to stay amused if I can. There’s a lot you can’t control, so you need to keep going with what you can control and keep yourself safe and healthy. I’ve had to work at not catastrophizing.

lightcastle
lightcastle

Inquiring minds want to know.

Not more than it already has been, I think. They love each other in a fashion, they mean the world to each other. Series 9 made that clear, although Missy was quick to remind Clara that mere love was an inadequate description of their connection.

Found it: https://youtu.be/I9DXd5OZlcU

Gijoel
Gijoel

@Falconer Glob I hope so. I really like Bill the way she is. Being in a relationship with the Doctor would be like being in a relationship with a god. Not good for anyone, even if you are a nun.

I’ve only watched up to the third episode of this season.

Ichthyic
Ichthyic

…Said the robot actress to the Bishop.

AngryWarthogBreath
AngryWarthogBreath

The TARDIS can’t be full of bras. The moment it was full of bras it would grow a new room and it would be called the Additional Bra Annex. (Or, knowing the names of various TARDIS features, the Quotidian Fold Nexus.)

I too lament the lack of a role model for boys, given that since they have so few male role models, it would be condescending to tell them they could try emulating a woman. I mean, if they had a lot of male role models in every form of media, then perhaps they should bloody well try empathising with a non-male point of view, but since all they have is Bond, the Doctor, and Doctor Benjamin McLane Spock, this is a terrible blow to them.

Also: “So patronising to women to be chosen due to political correctness. No room for merit and talent if PC comes first.” The age-old lament of “if you people would just WAIT for this to happen NATURALLY, which it didn’t in this case because murmur murmur murmur cosmic rays, it would have been so much better and everyone would have accepted it!” Most recently despicably shown in the Roberts dissent to same sex marriage, in which he deplored how gay people had lost the chance to gently convince people of their cause rather than to employ the tyranny of the courts, this business was old when Dr. King wrote “For years now I have heard the word “Wait!” … This “Wait” has almost always meant “Never.”” (Excised a bit that was specific to Dr. King’s specific struggle.) Come to think of it, it was almost certainly old when the first lungfish gasped its way onto the beachfront.

Banananananana dakry: short-haired, fat and deranged
Banananananana dakry: short-haired, fat and deranged

@Kupo

*SNORT* XD

The sad part is it sounds exactly like the logical illogical extension of these whinging manbabies whinging on.

Dreadbeasts
Dreadbeasts

It’s DOCTOR, not Dr, Who, and MISTER Spock, not Dr. Spock.

Fekkin’ fake geek boys

the real cie

Witness the Manbaby Meltdown. I don’t know whether to laugh or puke.
I’m not sure what century some of these idiots are living in, but there have been female doctors and male nurses for many decades now.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

History Nerd,

I assume you’re referring to Jeb Bush? Because George W certainly did rig the primaries with the push polls in South Carolina asking about John McCain’s “illegitimate black daughter.”

For those who don’t know, McCain has an adopted daughter from Bangladesh. The push poll asked how respondents felt about her while referring her as an illegitimate black daughter in order to stoke racism and give the primary victory to Bush. It worked. But the GOP is totally not inherently racist. No siree.

History Nerd
History Nerd

Less than one quarter of people in the US who apply to any medical school get accepted and the curriculum is more rigorous than in the past. Nursing school and Doctor of Nursing practice programs are easier to get into and less rigorous*, so more men are going into nursing. More women are becoming medical doctors because women tend to do very well in school when you deal with discrimination and harassment seriously. The main disparity is that men are more likely to have their Ph.D. work recognized because that allows more bias and subjectivity. Men and women do equally well in STEM up through graduate courses.

* The programs are still rigorous, but it’s not quite the extreme rigor you’d get in medical school and the board exams.

Swedish Sexual Bread
Swedish Sexual Bread

Honestly, I’m unfamiliar with Jodie Whittaker, but As always, I’m cautiously optimistic, but reserving judgment until she actually gets some decent amount of screen time. I’d say it’s already worth it just because of the number of misogynists saying they’ll stop watching, because they can fuck right off out of the fandom. What is encouraging as well is the support Whittaker has recieved from various other people who were significant to the series, including Colin Baker, Freema Agyeman, Alex Kingston and Peter Capaldi.
I should note at this point that I’m quite a fan of Doctor Who, both classic and modern.

Coquette St. Jacques
Coquette St. Jacques

“Feminists demand change but won’t watch” except last time I checked the Whovian community has quite a lot of women in it.

latsot
latsot

@C Williams:

I was going to make a point but then I remembered that Martha Jones was just a medical student.

I think she was a qualified MD in later episodes.

@Roadkill_Rabbit:

he’s Mr Spock. Get your geek info right.

Well, technically he’s just Spock. He just gets called “Mr” a lot by racist Starfleet people. What would that title even mean to an alien?

OK, no more geek pedantry 😉

@Fujimoto:

If no one’s seen it yet, here are angry Daily Mail comments turned into Doctor Who episode titles.

I was going to link to the Daily Mail comments but couldn’t bear to.

As usual, the main thing we can learn from all this is that:

a) We should never read the Daily Mail comments and
b) We inevitably will.

Twitter is surely worse but the DM comments are triple distilled.

Swedish Sexual Bread
Swedish Sexual Bread

@Iatsot

Well, technically he’s just Spock.

@Coquette St. Jacques
Yep, agreed. Since I watch the show and did support the idea of a female Doctor (still do), that theory is disproven.
@Falconer
I am one of the people who didn’t like what Moffat did to the series. My main area of complaint is that the plot arcs always left a niggling little piece missing, that rarely ever got resolved. I mean, let’s look at 11’s tenure. Season 5: There are cracks in the universe, what caused them? Answer: The TARDIS blew up. Why did it blow up? tune in next season to find out? Okay, so apparently it was some wierd religious order. why would they want to blow up the TARDIS? because of some prophecy. I think you get the idea at this point.

Wondering
Wondering

A male Mary Poppins? Go for it. That would also be an example of Time Lord gender changes because everyone already knows that Mary Poppins is a Time Lord.

latsot
latsot

@Swedish Sexual Bread

Only in Only in Starfleet-related situations, presumably. But hardly anyone was referred to by rank in TOS, for some reason, presumably a Roddenberry thing.

Except, for some reason, for Yeoman Rand, although Yeoman is a job more than a rank. And sometimes when Kirk was telling people off.

OK, I lied about there being no more geek pedantry.

Mels
Mels

I love how these manbabies refuse to see a female Doctor as a role model. As if girls don’t have to grow up viewing male pop culture heroes as role models because there’s such a comparative dearth of women.

Human empathy: too much work, apparently.

Then again, if you don’t view women as fully human in the first place, I guess it would be quite the challenge, now wouldn’t it.

Matchstick
Matchstick

Can I just outline my strongly held objection to the news that Jodie Whittaker is to be the 13th Doctor.

She’s not the 13th, she’s the 14th Doctor (and that’s without including the Dalek movies or the Curse of the Fatal Death)

Apart from that looks a good piece of casting and looking forward to seeing where they go with it.

Swedish Sexual Bread
Swedish Sexual Bread

@Matchstick
If we’re going that route, there have been, according to Doctor Who Magazine (issue 462), 67 Doctors. This includes the Fatal Death Doctors, but also various ‘Doctors’ in other comedy sketches, Scream of the Shalka and, obviously, the Dalek movies.

DanHolme
DanHolme

I was caving yesterday afternoon and didn’t find out about Jodie Whittaker until last night; absolutely delighted. I always said ‘Attack The Block’ felt like a Doctor Who story in which the Doctor never turned up; I guess I was wrong.

I always assumed that Mary Poppins was a regeneration of Iris Wildthyme, at least in my own personal universe.

Moggie
Moggie

I think I’ve got it. These people are time-travellers. One of the Doctor’s enemies has transported a load of people from the past, from a time when “birds aren’t smart enough to be doctors” wasn’t immediately refuted by everyday experience, a time when jokes about lady drivers weren’t tired as hell, times when references to Pretty Woman and Mary Poppins seemed up to date.

The trouble with this theory is that the Daily Mail has always been a wormhole into the past.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ matchstick & swedish

the Dalek movies

The movies are meant to exist within the world of the TV series. Supposedly Ian and Barbara sold the film rights to their adventures and the movies were the result.

It was intended to make this explicit in the 50th anniversary story; but the BBC couldn’t get the relevant IP rights sorted in time.

Swedish Sexual Bread
Swedish Sexual Bread

@Alan Robertshaw
Yeah, I’d heard about that. It seems like an interesting way to link it in.

Nathan Hevenstone

@Matchstick

Technically, in terms of the TV show’s specific canon, she’s the 15th Doctor… or the 2nd Doctor, depending on how you look at it. Remember… David Tennant regenerated twice. He just kept his face the first time.

So…

Jon Hurt – 9
Christopher Eccleston – 10
David Tennant – 11 and 12
Matt Smith – 13
Peter Capaldi – 14 or 1B
Jodie Whittaker – 15 or 2B

Peter Capaldi’s regeneration into Jodie Whittaker will be the Doctor’s 14th regeneration, however, and she is the 13th actor to play the character (not counting the comedy sketches and such). So you aren’t really wrong…

It’s pretty much convoluted at this point… heh…

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Nathan

You’re forgetting the Morbius Doctors. 🙂

Nathan Hevenstone

@Alan Robertshaw

I don’t think official canon counts that? But that starts the inevitable argument over just what is “official Doctor Who canon”, and if there’s even any such thing.

I’ve seen theories that those faces weren’t the Doctor at all, but Mobius (who was a Time Lord himself). That’s how I think of them… 😀

Katz

“Actually, in TOS at the very least, he holds the rank of Lieutenant Commander, and thus should in formal circumstances be referred to accordingly.”

And then there’s the terribly misandrist fact that Starfleet refers (or referred) to female officers as “Mr.” (eg, “Mr. Saavik”). Are men of the future not allowed EVEN ONE title that doesn’t have cooties all over it?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Nathan

Heh, yeah. This is one of those constant debates over on Gallifrey Base (or Gallifrey One, I can never remember which one it is I use).

I’m very much in the Morbius Doctors camp. That’s probably nostalgia though. It was so exciting as a kid to suddenly find out there were a whole load of Doctors we never knew about.

[And I’d argue the dialogue in that story makes it clear they are previous incarnations of our eponymous hero, but then we’re back to my first paragraph :-)]

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

@Moggie:
If I understand correctly, what you’re saying is that:
– a time portal to the past has opened;
– the people coming through have taken over the country;
– they’re doing it in a genteel way;
– they’re terrified of the Doctor.

This isn’t exactly evidence against us living in a Doctor Who episode.

Michael Lindsay
Michael Lindsay

Why are all these right wingers losing their shit over a TV show about a travelling, foreign intellectual who outsmarts tough guys with his wits and meddles in the affairs of sovereign governments that was produced by a socialized T.V. station?

Matchstick
Matchstick

@Nathan

she is the 13th actor to play the character

Except there are 14 different people in the list you posted.

I definitely agree that depending how you want to count it you can get radically different numbers (should we include the Valeyard ?) but I can’t see any way to get 13 unless John Hurt doesn’t count, in which case why does Paul McGann ? 🙂

But back at the plot, personally I suspect that almost everyone complaining about the new casting have never watched the show because they consider it “SJW Propaganda” (which it undoubtedly is in the best way 🙂 )