aggrieved entitlement baby men entitled babies masculinity men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny no girls allowed transphobia twitter

The best worst reactions to the news that the next Doctor Who will be a woman

Jodie Whittaker, the next Doctor Who

The Summer 2017 WHTM pledge drive is on! Donate generously to enable our continuing coverage of whiny baby-men! Thanks!

By David Futrelle

A tragic day for whiny baby-men — the BBC just announced that the next Doctor Who will be a lady. Naturally, these sensitive souls took at once to Twitter to make their displeasure known. And to make jokes about Doctor Who turning into Nurse Who amirite fellas high five!

Here are some of the best of the worst Tweets I’ve seen so far. I can’t decide which are my favorites — the ones lamenting the loss of a crucial male “role model” or those suggesting that a female Doctor Who makes as much sense as a male Mary Poppins (which would be perfectly fine to me, by the way).

No, I don’t understand what that last one means either.

C Williams
C Williams

I was going to make a point but then I remembered that Martha Jones was just a medical student.
*grumbles*
still, what a bunch of whiners.

Ktoryx -- Now with vitamin G!
Ktoryx -- Now with vitamin G!

“A loss for reason”

Yes, all reasonable people know that two-hearted, regenerating time travellers are invariably male. It’s science.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

I have half an impulse to jump into their whining with ‘But she’s not ginger!! Won’t someone think of the gingers?!?

And, yeah, after looking at an image from the show on another thread, it looks like a time lord’s regeneration can normally change genders. Sheesh.

barkeeperin
barkeeperin

Apparently, the creator of Doctor Who thought that the Doctor should regenerate as a Time Lady at one point. Poor man-babies.

Roadkill_Rabbit
Roadkill_Rabbit

My favourite comment is the Fake Geek Boy who wrote *Dr Spock*; he’s Mr Spock. Get your geek info right.

BGHilton

Knew this would be the topic of today’s post!

The weird thing is that this has been coming forever. People have been talking about the possibility of a female Doctor since the 1970s at least. And not just random fans either — I’m talking about people who were deeply embedded in the production of the show, like Tom Baker, Louise Jameson and Sydney motherflippin’ Newman. There’s nothing at all radical about a female Doctor in 2017, if anything it happened 30-odd years later than it should have.

Violeta Chinaski
Violeta Chinaski

Thank you for writing this & making a selection of the most idiotic, ignorant, misogynistic Tweets. I’m a huge Doctor Who fan & if I learned one thing from watching the show, this is it: Doctor Who has always been, since the beginning, the show that teaches us about kindness, tolerance & diversity. If you are pissed off by the first female Doctor, don’t you dare call yourself a fan. Girls need more strong, brilliant, independent role models. Girls need to know that a girl or a woman, too, can be that wonderful, brilliant, kind, regenerating alien who travels through time & space in a blue police box & saves the day. Not only do the girls need that, they bloody well deserve that.

Nequam
Nequam

And people wonder why I look at the rusty (but still sharp) screwdriver in my car and start thinking of uses for it.

Okay, some of it is probably misplaced anger and sorrow over the fact that my dad is probably planning physician-assisted suicide, my father-in-law was just hospitalized, and my mother-in-law’s dementia may be gradually getting worse, but still…

Ellesar
Ellesar

They aren’t as bad as I was expecting, but I expect there is much worse to come.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

“Next they will want a transgender to take the role as The Doctor.”

That doesn’t sound like a bad idea. Any suggestions?

LindsayIrene, Rioting Werebonobo

A female Doctor Who would be the same as making a male Mary Poppins.

Like, half the internet right now is all, “MICHAEL ROOKER BETTER BE IN THE NEW MARY POPPINS.” Try to keep up, Sparky.

Time Lords being women not an issue, 50 years of tradition out the window is

Because we all know how consistent Dr. Who has been over the years! No retrofitting at all, nuh uh!

BGHilton

@Ellesar — I think it’s actually that the worst has passed. The writing has been on the wall for a while now that a female Doctor was in the offing, and I think that the manbabies have had plenty of opportunity to get it out of their systems.

Nequam
Nequam

@Diego: at one point, someone was saying they would have liked to see Tilda Swinton as the new Doctor, which led me to this idea: given that she has done quite a lot of androgynously/cross-gender cast roles, what if she starts out as a Doctor who spends an episode or two trying to decide what gender they ultimately are?

Subtract Hominem, the Renegade Misandroid
Subtract Hominem, the Renegade Misandroid

Dang these new Cybermen are so whiny.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

@Nequam

Hmm not sure how to feel about Swinton after the whole fiasco with Margaret Cho.

calmdown
calmdown

Very much this. At the risk of being a gatekeeper, I really doubt most of these people watch the show. It’s been far too liberal for years now for mosts far rights to enjoy, and I’m proud of it. I didn’t watch the past season but I may start again now with the new Doctor. 🙂

Austin G Loomis

The wifi in our vacation cottage was reset just as I tapped the “Submit Comment” button, so I’ll try again: is there any reason to look at Don Vibes’ “Doctor Who in 2027” image? For someone who doesn’t currently want to destroy all life with a mechanical horror, and who would like to go on not wanting that?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ bghilton

I was intending to make those very same points. That’s what’s so daft about this. I remember as a kid, Joanna Lumley being seriously touted for the role. And if her performance in Curse of the Fatal Death is anything to go by she’d have been brilliant.

Bina

Birds aren’t smart enough to be doctors

Tell that to the “bird” who did my first pelvic exam (she was a BROWN bird, no less). For that matter, tell it to Dr. Emily Stowe. Here in Canada, women have been doctors since 100 years before I was born. Which is also about 100 years before Doctor Who.

Fuck you BBC. Fuck you lefties. You are in the minority. The BBC has been taken over by leftists. Can’t wait for the show to fail.

Hope you’re not holding your breath there, “mate”.

Doctor Who is now a woman. Must have had genital reassignment surgery. BBC continuing it’s cultural Marxism.

I see an apostrophe needing amputation there. Also, Marx never wrote a word about culture. He confined himself to politics and economics.

But whatever. I’m sure you’re just another unsung hero of undiscovered intellect, sadly rotting on a barstool in a hole-in-the-wall pub in some disreputable district or other.

“Doctor Who” what’s the deal? Pushing the “gender fluidity” narrative now? Remember when entertainment wasn’t social engineering propaganda

Hate to break it to you, son, but “only men can be doctors, women have to be housewives or nurses”, a common old TV trope, IS social engineering propaganda. From the 1950s, when women “had” to be shoved out of well-paying jobs so men could follow the social engineering propaganda to be breadwinners again.

This is why I gave up watching libt*rd movies and TV shows. A female Doctor? What a joke. You just killed a classic TV show.

I’m sure they’ll miss you terribly. In fact, they’ll miss you so much they’ll never even notice you slamming your little dollhouse door and stamping your tiny feet.

This woman Doctor Who thing feels like another loss for reason and another win for the regressive left tbh

Snurk. I’m trying to parse the “reason” of someone with a feminine name who signs herself “I am Ian Malcolm” (I’m sorry, who the hell is that?)

Also, there is no “regressive left”. If you are regressive, you are on the right. Full stop. But please, try to convince us of your superior reason a little harder.

Doctor Who officially ruined. Time Lords being women not an issue, 50 years of tradition out the window is. What next 007 being Janette Bond

Now THERE’s an idea. The franchise might actually become interesting if that happens. Could we also have a Mr. Moneypenny, please?

A female Doctor Who would be the same as making a male Mary Poppins.

A manny nanny? Oh myyyy. That would be interesting, too!

Let’s replace Julia Roberts pretty woman for pretty bloke

Yes, let’s! I’m so sick of this tired old “prince rescues Cinderella” trope anyway.

(Has anyone yet suggested a gender-swapped Pygmaliana, or perhaps a My Fair Laddie? If not — DIBS!)

Liz
Liz

Can I suggest another Tweet for the list?

Sorry if the embed doesn’t work. First time commenting!

Fujimoto
Fujimoto

If no one’s seen it yet, here are angry Daily Mail comments turned into Doctor Who episode titles.

I heard the BBC higher-ups are pretty much all Tories now. Looks like the whiners won’t be happy until the BBC is run by members of the BNP or something.

personalpest
personalpest

Neither do I, calmdown, and here’s why: none of these posts are well-written or imaginative, which is what you would expect from sci-fi fans. They just rehash cliched manospherian talking points in such a boring, witless manner that it hurts to read them. Or maybe they’re just resigned because even they realize that (as BGHilton pointed out) a female Doctor was inevitable.

@ Bina: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Malcolm . Not sujre which one they mean.

MexicanHotChocolate
MexicanHotChocolate

They’re griping about the gender of an alien time traveler who is more than a 1000 years old and the central character of a show that has featured both a lesbian lizard person married to a human and a semi-immortal, omnisexual soldier who evolved into a giant face in a jar after a million years. The show where the semi-sentient spaceship/time machine takes the hero not where they want to go but where they need to go and the most iconic villains are fascist squids locked inside giant pepper pots and brains encased in genderless robot bodies. Somehow casting a single woman as the lead role of a show over 50-years old is where the fanboys draw the line.

Cleverforagirl
Cleverforagirl

Women don’t buy the merch? Women don’t buy the fucking merch?! *tears off shirt to reveal who shirt underneath*

They actually lost me at moffitt, but I’ll give who another chance if she’s a time lady.

Nequam
Nequam

Oh, my sweet child of summer.

Nathan Hevenstone

Personally, this is some of the most exciting news I’ve had in a long time. Peter Capaldi is my Doctor, to be honest, and I will miss him terribly. But Jodie Whittaker taking over soothes the sting quite a bit. I’ll be surprised if she doesn’t end up also being my Doctor.

I’m beyond ecstatic, and cannot wait to see what she does with the role!

Nym
Nym

I really liked nequams idea about a Dr spending a few episodes figuring out their gender. I bet you could shoehorn in a lot of really funny social commentary about gender expectations

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

Wasn’t that the name of the mathematician in Jurassic Park?

Which does not make it any less confusing, in context …

This Handle is a Test
This Handle is a Test

Fishy Goat:. This discussion actually came up with one ofy cousins today and she actually said “But is she a ginger?” on being told a woman was the new doctor…

Gijoel
Gijoel

Personally I’m disappointed. I would have preferred an older woman. It seems inevitable that they’ll jam some godawful love story, probably between her and Bill. Bill will be turned into a simpering idiot who will be constantly yearning for the doctor’s touch.

Jesalin
Jesalin

Even though I stopped watching way back when a set of stairs was the best defense against a dalek, I still think it’s great they have a female time lord. I’m only wondering why it took so long.

This Handle is a Test
This Handle is a Test

On a slightly separate note:. I do hope it works out, the Ghost busters reboots failure didn’t do any favors for projects with women as the leads and I’d hate to see a second failure so close…

Tabby Lavalamp
Tabby Lavalamp

Next is Caitlyn Jenner as Dr. Spock

She’s going to become a famous pediatrician?

BGHilton

Isn’t male Mary Poppins basically Mr Belvedere?

@Alan Robertshaw — Yes, Joanna Lumley would have been perfect.

Nequam
Nequam

@THiaT: I was rather hoping the first female Doctor would be Catherine Tate for those reasons…

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

Let’s replace Julia Roberts pretty woman for pretty bloke

Wasn’t that a movie called American Gigolo? *snerk*

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Doctor Who is now a woman. Must have had genital reassignment surgery.

“Doctor Who” what’s the deal? Pushing the “gender fluidity” narrative now?

Putting aside the transphobia… Do these people even know what Dr Who is?

Skiriki
Skiriki

Welp, this is my favorite “oh snap” moment:

Mike Smith
Mike Smith

A few people brought this up already but umm Michael Rooker in essence played a male Mary Poppins in GotG Vol. 2.

LindsayIrene, Rioting Werebonobo

Like, does the Doctor even have genitalia? Or even nipples and a belly-button? The Doctor tends to wear a lot of clothes. There could be anything under there.

@ Axecaliber

IKR?!

comment image

(I’m biased. I think Rooker should be in everything.)

kupo
kupo

Ok, now I want a movie called Pretty Bloke and I want it to star the gigolo character from AI set before he met the kid. A handsome, wealthy woman can “rescue” him from his life for a time, at which point some antics occur and he’s on his own again to lead into the movie AI.

History Nerd
History Nerd

Marx didn’t write much about feminism. Marxism became much more popular among the left after Louis Napoleon’s coup, partly because Marx claimed his theories explained why both Napoleons took power after a revolution. The main idea is that revolutionaries need to “smash” the organs of the state that protect the bourgeoisie (needless to say, that has never worked well).

Mao Zedong took that a step further by claiming that a new bourgeoisie could emerge within the ruling Communist Party, so you need a continual cultural struggle against it. Maybe you could call Maoism uber-political correctness in a sense. You also have Cultural Hegemony from Antonio Gramsci and the Ideological State Apparatus (ISA) from Louis Althusser, which are both very complicated modifications of Marx’s theory that (sarcasm) even a really smart person like Jordan Peterson can’t understand very well (end sarcasm).

I sort of doubt the people who originally wanted the Doctor to have a female regeneration in the 1970’s were reading a lot of Gramsci and Althusser. (sarcasm) But they were to the left of the people who want AI gods to involuntarily sterilize all the genetically inferior people, so who knows? (end sarcasm)

History Nerd
History Nerd

Yes. Ian Malcolm is the mathematician in Jurassic Park and The Lost World (both the books and the movies).

Luxbelitx

I just came to cast my vote for Doctor Who 2027 – Cultural Marxism Edition.

kupo
kupo
JS
JS

Dr Who has always been against the ultra right-wing (and ultra left-wing, too). Multiple stories about how Daleks (who have an emperor), and Cybermen (who have a strict hierarchy) always lose in the end. How long has it taken these idiots to realize that? Apparently 50+ years, and an announcement that the main character is changing apparent sex.

Strong female leads since at least Sarah Jane Smith and Romana, and others I haven’t seen since I didn’t watch much past Tom Baker until recently. Social commentary from day one, even in the early years in “historical tourism” style. SciFi has always had social commentary.

I’ll also never look around a plumbing supply store the same way ever again. Wait, that’s the arms of the Dominators’ robots! That’s part of a Dalek! There’s part of the ray gun from, well, almost every early episode that had a ray gun.

abars01
abars01

*yawn*. This kinda stuff no longer engages me. It’s become far too routine. A reboot of a popular movie or television show with a female or POC protagonist is announced, MRAs and alt-righters on the internet argbargle about it and vow to boycott it. Lather, rinse, repeat. It’s happened 100 times before, it’ll happen 100 times more in the future. Most people – including the producers of the media itself and most of the general public – aren’t even aware of their objections, and they sure as hell don’t actually care about them. So it’s not as if it has an actual effect on anything. All it does is provide passing amusement to internet feminists like us, but because they say the same things each time, it no longer yields even that to me.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

There’s a scientist who claims to have figured out why Napoleon’s revolution happened … and also why Trump happened.

The short of it is, most civilizations periodically produce a surfeit of ambitious ladder-climbers, more than the upper levels of the socioeconomic pyramid can absorb. This intensifies competition in the upper echelons of society, until norms of fairness and civility break down.

One first gets “let them eat cake”ism (present-day form being neoliberalism) as these “elites” try to maintain their lifestyles, despite their increased numbers, by squeezing the working classes. It escalates to uncouthness in the upper ranks (alt-right and Trump indicate we’ve reached that point now) along with increasingly cutthroat competition at the top (the sabotage of the Sanders primary campaign was bad; the various dead Russians turning up peripheral to the Trump campaign indicate that the level of viciousness to the competition on the Republican side may have been a lot worse).

Usually there is eventually serious violence (last time it happened in the US it culminated in the Civil War). There seems to be actual empirical data backing this theory up, and peer reviewed articles.

On the other hand, the author also likes to use his blog to push paleo as a “one size fits all” diet, which sort of problematic behavior was recently being discussed on this site. Also, notorious racists JayMan and hbd_chick have occasionally commented there, mostly pushing the former’s blog, though I’m not aware that Turchin has done anything to encourage them or expressed any kind of approval of their views. Needless to say, seeing them turn up there raised my eyebrows.

So you may want to take everything there that’s not backed by empirical data with a grain of salt, though, AFAICT his own politics are mildly progressive if anything.

1 2 3 11