Uncategorized

Will pixie cuts turn women into Satantic MK Ultra mindcontrol slaves? The debate

The pixie cut: tool of Satan?

The Summer 2017 WHTM pledge drive is on! Donate generously to enable our continuing coverage of dangerous haircuts! Thanks!

By David Futrelle

My new favorite far-right Twitter weirdo is a fellow called @WesternIdentity, a self-described “right wing urban theologian” and “esoteric image cleric” who uses his Twitter account to promote “occult nationalism,” complain that “underground heretical judaism has pushed cuckoldry into our society,” express his love of skittles and post assorted gifs involving Trump getting the better of CNN.

I discovered @WesternIdentity earlier this week after he launched a tirade against the alleged diabolical evil that is short hair on women.

Yeah, that’s right, he’s getting all philosophical on our asses.

He then decided to “rebrand” the cute-sounding pixie cut.

As longtime readers of this blog know well, @WesternIdentity is hardly the first reactionary doofus to declare war on the pixie cut and short hairdos for women generally.

But he may be the first pixie-cut hater to also suggest that Chelsea Manning — currently sporting, yes, a pixie cut — is some kind of MK Ultra mind control slave, or something.

It turns out that @WesternIdentity has a lot of, well, interesting opinions about all sorts of stuff, including Satanic CNN pedophiles, which he apparently thinks are a real thing.

Oh, but this is just the tip of the iceberg.

And check out what is perhaps the world’s hottest take on robots:

I honestly have no idea if this one is a joke:

He does post some pretty dank gifs from time to time, though.

H/T — @spookperson

PreuxFox
PreuxFox

Manospherians: “We are the pinnacle of logic, unlike those women who are too emotional to have real thoughts.”

Also manospherians: “Some women make grooming and fashion choices that are unnattractive to me personally. This means they are empirically and scientifically unattractive to everyone, and also means society is coming to an end.”

(And yeah, this guy is a little more out there than usual, but is this the first time we’ve heard about how some poor man is being oppressed by short hair – or tattoos – or piercings – etc? Honestly sometimes it seems to be all they talk about)

Katie's Elderly Neo-Hippie Resurgent Minion
Katie's Elderly Neo-Hippie Resurgent Minion

I wore a pixie cut all through my teens and twenties. Now that I’m ancient, I’m rocking long hair (mostly because it finally has enough body since gray hair is thicker than my formerly baby-fine blonde hair was). I used to run into the occasional guy who’d mourn my hair choice, but that just meant it was easy to winnow them out.

Now it’s just my stylist, who thinks long hair on old ladies makes us look older. 😀 Like it matters!

Falconer
Falconer

I would definitely recommend Ronja even for very young children. It has very kid-friendly themes and the peril is mostly pretty mild; most of the episodes don’t have anything scary at all.

A Brief List of Things S Has Cried About in Movies:

A Totoro
Moana and Maui arguing
Dory’s parents swim out of frame at the end of the movie
Cinderella’s glass slipper shattering

On the other hand, both A and S love the heck out of Nella the Princess Knight, which routinely features mild peril.

dreemr
dreemr

@Falconer – awwww.

My son is a sensitive one, too. I rented ET: the Extraterrestial once and he sat on my lap shaking with anxiety until I turned it off about 10 minutes in. (4 yrs old)

An episode of the original Transformers cartoon where a robot character’s head is squished sent him to his room in tears and he couldn’t get over it for days. (9 yrs old)

An episode of Dark Matter (which had been his favorite show) that dealt with Soviet cosmonauts most likely dying in space. He turned it off and never wanted to see another episode. He was 12 then.

You just never know what’s going to bother them. The same kid can watch “Hellraiser” and “Apocalypse Now” and not be bothered.

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

Harpies? Yeah, they’re cool, but when it comes to female mythological creatures, nobody can lay a finger on the Penanggalan.

comment image

There are very few things as visually unsettling to me than a severed head with guts just hanging below. Especially if the guts are prehensile.

*shudders* … just looking at the google search images give me the heebie jeebies.

Wait, let’s corner the market of the Penanggalan-cut. It adds sentience to your summer do for all your multitasking and limb-grabbing needs!

Turan, Emissary of the Fly World
Turan, Emissary of the Fly World

Given this guy’s range of interests, I do have to wonder if his hatred of the pixie cut has its origin in the film ROSEMARY’S BABY (Mia Farrow gets her hair cut short during the course of the film*). In some muddle-headed manner, this may have led him to an association of “short hair for women” and “Satanic conspiracy” (never mind that Rosemary is the victim in that story–she was a woman, so she must have been the real villain).

*When I saw this film with my mother, she explained to me that Farrow had done this to spite her then-husband Frank Sinatra. I in turn explained that Rosemary’s haircut comes straight from the novel, of which the film is a very faithful adaptation**. She preferred her explanation.

**Ira Levin had a story about this. Note that events in ROSEMARY’S BABY can be dated with some precision, as the Pope’s visit to New York City on October 4, 1965 is a crucial event, and the course of Rosemary’s pregnancy is covered in some detail. There is a scene in the novel, meant to demonstrate Guy Woodhouse’s rising success, in which Guy sees an expensive shirt advertised in THE NEW YORKER and goes out and buys it. Roman Polanski, the writer/director of the film, called Levin with a question. He had located the issue of THE NEW YORKER for the week in which that scene occurred, and there was no shirt ad in it. What shirt, he asked, did Levin have in mind? Levin had to admit he had done no research on that and had nothing in particular in mind; he had just assumed that any issue of THE NEW YORKER would have an advertisement for a nice shirt. He decided that Polanski’s surprising attention to such details was due to this being his first Hollywood movie–he did not realize that he was allowed to change things.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

It always comes back to hierarchy with these guys. God > man, man > nature, men > women, whites > blacks, adults > children, and so on. There always has to be a ranking. And within those groups, there have to be sub-rankings. That’s especially true for women, and it’s why these guys are so endlessly whiney and nitpicky, and come across sounding like horse breeders. Long hair > short hair, fat > skinny, natural hair color > dyed hair, and on and on and on. No detail is too small to get worked up about.

They’re not content to simply have preferences, and leave it at that. No, their preferences have to be “scientifically” proven, so they can be used as the unquestioned basis for structuring society, so the less-thans can be properly controlled. His rants don’t have anything to do with searching for a realistic partner to share his life with (assuming he’s not exempt from his own assortative mating standards).

You can tell it drives these guys up the wall to see the less-thans finding love and wallowing in happiness. It’s such a violation of their just-world beliefs. If short-haired women with tattoos can get laid, and they can’t, it must mean they rank below short-haired women with tattoos. But that can’t be! They’re men! The hierarchy must be reasserted, by sharia law if necessary!

If they didn’t keep loudly, insistently drawing attention to these imaginary rankings, people would just be free to be attracted to whomever they please, and we can’t have that. Thank goodness we have these manic pixie scream churls to rescue us from the terrible fate of feeling good about ourselves.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@dreemr and Falconer – I had to turn off “Dora’s Birthday Party” halfway through and return it to the library because it was too scary for Twin B. There was a pink cupcake-stealing witch, or something.

Twin A, on the other hand, loves monsters, dragons, and horror. It’s just about impossible to get them to agree on a TV show.

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes

Ohmigosh.

If it didn’t go against my nickname esthete, I would rename myself to Scildfreja, Manic Pixie Scream Churl so darn fast.

TheKND
TheKND

@Gussie Jives Well… you can have long discussions and she can be really useful if you have to study for anatomy classes! Med school will be a breeze! 😀
And all she demands in exchange is to suck fetuses out of uteri (if I remember correctly)

PreuxFox
PreuxFox

@ Buttercup Q. Skullpants

This is a very astute evaluation. I think you’re entirely correct.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Or the closely-related manananggal, which looks slightly less gory (it splits at the waist rather than the neck) but has much worse habits (it eats pregnant women vagina-first). Mythology is weird, man.

History Nerd
History Nerd

The main complaints I’ve heard from assholish guys are against hair buns and sunglasses, presumably because they allegedly don’t require effort or the women are not “naturally” attractive.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Heh. Hair buns and sunglasses are terrible no-effort looks, women are such slobs.

But makeup and fashion are just lies to honey trap men, look at how much effort they put into deceiving innocent doods.

Also lol women take forever getting ready to go out how frivolous they are lol amirite guyse?

And ugh couldn’t you wear a nice skirt an blouse instead of that frumpy pull over and sweats? Don’t be so lazy.

boils from internal pressure

Lea
Lea

It is so difficult for cis men to understand that their boners just aren’t important to anyone but them.

The axis mundi is not Owen’s insignificant cock.

But, wow. He’s sure it is and spends way to much time and effort trying to prove it.

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

@TheKND I think I smell a new medical drama coming soon from CBS!

Dr. Penanggalan, M.D.
She’s just a regular Malaysian folk spirit just trying to make it in tough Chicago emergency room.

Nurse: “We got a single gunshot wound to the torso who needs emergency surgery!”

Dr. P: “Get 3 units of AB blood stat! And sterilize my colon! This surgery’s gonna take a while!”

Nurse: “Dammit, Doctor, we don’t even know his blood type!”

Dr. P: “Oh, I didn’t have lunch.”

It’s not easy being a creepy floating head-viscera in the big city…

Hospital Administrator: “You’ve gone too far, Dr. Penanggalan! You can’t order a preventative head removal without the patient’s consent!”

Dr. P: “If you’ve got a better way of saving a Leyak, I’d like to hear it!”

…but she still finds a way to make it work.

Dr. P: “I… don’t find the time to go out on many dates.”

Craig: “That’s okay, neither do I. It’s just when I saw your picture… I was taken by your beautiful duodenum….”

Dr. P: “Oh Craig… let’s go back to my place… I can show you my… esophageal sphincter….”

Craig: “Oh my! Our relationship is moving so fast!”

Dr. Penanggalan, M.D. Season premiere Sunday at 8, 7 Central on CBS!

Hospital Administrator: “Didn’t I tell you guys to keep her away from the maternity ward?!”

Dr. P: *burp* 😉

Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie
Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie

Why are Iraqi Christians facing deportation from US?

From BBC (sorry no link I’m on my iPhone), Michigan Iraqi Christians who voted for trump facing deportation… yeah, they actually DID say they didn’t think the INS would “come for us”…

dreemr
dreemr

I wonder this myself. Not so much anymore, because I don’t have as much contact with cis men in the “potential intimacy” department anymore, but the love affair they have with their penises is just breathtaking.

I’m thinking mostly of the scores of unsolicited penis pics that even I, a middle-aged, obese woman, have received from men I do not know. Why?? WHY???

D
D

@ dreemr

I am a cis man, and other cis men’s obsession with penises baffles me, too.

Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie
Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie

I am a cis man, and other cis men’s obsession with penises baffles me, too.

Me, three….

Cynical Optimist, Vapid Dreck Aggregator
Cynical Optimist, Vapid Dreck Aggregator

Is that you Mack Major?

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Eddie

they actually DID say they didn’t think the INS would “come for us”

We tried to fuckin learn em. Bye, assholes! Hey, can we trade them for some dreamers’ parents?

@dreemr

the love affair they have with their penises is just breathtaking

Well, less love and more obsession. Which, seeing as so many cis dudes literally can’t tell the difference interpersonally, it makes sense that the same applies intrapersonally…

Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie
Weird (thumper of trumpanzees) Eddie

@ Axe

More trumpanzee-learnin’, from CNN some trump voters scared of what the repugnican (un)health care bill will do to them….

It’s CALLED the “Leopards Eating People’s Faces” party, idiots… WHAT DID YOU THINK THEY WERE GONNA DO?!?!?!?!?

TheKND
TheKND

Hey, I keep telling that to people but I still get chased out of that children’s playground all the time!
(I am so going to hell for this comment)

@Gussie Jives You are my best friend now!

Laserqueen
Laserqueen

I was talking to a friend (55 year old cis male) and I was floored that he still thought that whatever his peen preferred was the only preference possible for everyone’s peen. It was actually kind of fun to point out to him that just because he didn’t find tight jeans on a large bum to be attractive, didn’t mean that all others felt the same way! And wouldn’t it be just boring if everyone shared the same preferences? He’s actually a sport about this stuff being pointed out and is open about changing his speech habits and thought processes.

He had hand surgery on both hands and was telling everyone he had the strength of a 6 year old girl. I pointed out that it wasn’t necessary to mention a specific gender as all 6 year old humans are pretty weak compared to a 6′ tall dude. He cheerfully acknowledged that and now just stops his story at “the strength of a six year old”

And- since both of his hands were out of commission, I was able to recommend the use of a fleshlight- about which I learned here at WHTM. He’s very happy with it. 🙂

dreemr
dreemr

@Laserqueen – that is a close friendship!

In the “unnecessary mentions of gender” category, we have my boss, ordering parts for a farmer in the area. He goes to great pains to tell our vendor “I’m ordering this for a woman farmer here” since, to him, it isn’t enough that she’s a farmer (and has been all her life, is successful, and works as hard or harder than any other farmer we’ve known). He just HAS to distinguish (to a person on the phone who will never meet her) that she’s a WOMAN farmer.

I did call him out on that after his call, “Why on earth would you tell him it’s for a WOMAN farmer? What does he care who it’s for?? Do you tell vendors when you’re ordering parts for Mr. X that he’s a ONE-ARMED FARMER??”

Laserqueen
Laserqueen

@dreemr

It is a close friendship- but not so close that I got to see a real fleshlight! He was supposed to leave it in the package until I could get over for a visit, but he couldn’t resist (it had been days apparently!) and neither one of us wanted to share after it had been “personalized”. I just saw the empty box. 🙁

History Nerd
History Nerd

Like “There’s a woman with a bun hairstyle wearing sunglasses! Ew! How gross!” (said with no sense of irony)

Paradoxical Intention - Leader of the Deathclaw Damsels

Falconer | July 13, 2017 at 8:59 pm
My brother and I … we maybe watched The Last Unicorn just a bit too young.

BRB, you just gave me an excuse to post my favorite cap:

comment image

Katz

Izabel, no!

Banananananana dakry
Banananananana dakry

Regarding cis men and their obsession with their wangs, I suspect that having one is the only thing that allows some of them to feel superior to everybody else and that society at large says makes them superior to everybody else, so the Almighty Cock must be bowed down to and made happy at all costs lest you lose Superiority Points and become one of those unspeakable dickless not-quite-humans.

Well, unless you’re a transwoman, then according to a lot of these jokers having a dick is an unnatural abomination and travesty instead of Superiority Points. I guess cis dudebros think that having peens is copyrighted or something.

AsAboveSoBelow
AsAboveSoBelow

I have super-long hair and am looking forward to having super-long white hair as an old woman. Barring illness, it’s never going to be cut short. That’s my rebellion: closing in on a certain age and keeping my fairy princess waves.

Whatever women do, someone thinks it’s wrong, so we might as well please ourselves.

tim gueguen

I imagine you could find all sorts of dumb and/or disturbing reasons why some guys dislike short hair on women. I think some guys dislike it because they associate long hair with young women. I was watching a clip from a film on YouTube a few weeks back that featured one of the characters cutting her long hair into a bob. One viewer was upset about that, claiming that it made her look a lot older.

Long hair looks good. Short hair looks good. In between hair looks good. It all depends on the person and the style.

I bet this guy would freak out if he saw the following Ford commercial that aired in June in Canada. The hairdo the women in the ad has is no doubt part of the plot to destroy Western civilisation and stuff.

Katz

You know, the dudes who hate short hair because of their sad boners don’t but me nearly as much as the women who flip out at short-haired women because they prefer long hair and take any other style as a personal attack.

bluecat
bluecat

OK, the new band name is Pixie Cut and the Sombrero Golems.

Hope to see them one day on the same bill as Sad Boner Sharia.

And can I get an Empirical Scientific Reality Pizza, please, or should that be the first album?

AsAboveSoBelow
AsAboveSoBelow

Colored vinyl special edition. Can they print pepperoni on a record?

Aulma Frendzar Dèdd
Aulma Frendzar Dèdd

@Gussie Jives you made me crack up. I’d seriously fund that show.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ asabovesobelow

Colored vinyl special edition.

Ah, I feel so sorry for kids today with their downloads and online streaming; they miss out on stuff like that.

On a related note, one of my dearest and much missed friends (who was quite a character) ended up having his ashes pressed into his last single release.

(He had his wake whilst he was still alive “I’m not paying for a free bar for you buggers if I can’t come”)

AsAboveSoBelow
AsAboveSoBelow

@Alan: Wow, that’s impressive. Three hundred were issued, eh? That’s really cool. He sounds like quite a character, indeed.

(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer
(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer

I’m not fat, I have long hair (100% by choice) and my hair is naturally red. Maybe I should get an airbrush kit or something (I don’t have anything I want as a tattoo bad enough to keep it on me forever, but I do like temporary tattoos and the fact that it pisses off entitled manbabies gives me an even better reason to temporarily ink myself up) and wear my clip-on septum ring–and get some other faux piercings (I don’t want real ones because of my sensitive skin).

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Something here ain’t right, because if they are citizens they don’t face deportation, and if they aren’t citizens they can’t legally vote in a federal election.

So I’m going to have to see a link before I wind up the schadenfreude machine.

(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer
(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer

@Scildfreja: I know right? Those fuckers are like the townspeople in The Farmer And The Donkey…we can’t win no matter what we do! Thank Katie I don’t give a shit WHAT they “think” anymore (at least after I get past the first two stages of encountered hate)

My stages of Encountered Hate (CW: brief suicidal ideation mention)
1. I feel hurt and take it personally.
2. I try to change it if I can and entertain suicidal thoughts (it never goes beyond that though) if I can’t
3. I somehow snap myself out of my slump and consider who is saying the horribad things in the first place and ask myself “Just who are THEY to dictate how anyone should live and should feel about themselves?!”
4. I realize how hollow and pathetic those people are and simultaneously laugh at them and feel bad for them (what kind of a sorry life must they have for them to derive satisfaction by shitting all over other people).
5. I continue doing what *I* want to do, regardless of whether or not sad little people online approve.

The pace at which I go through the stages depends on my emotional state and how bad the screed is. It can be anywhere from minutes to weeks.

Saint
Saint

I bet these guys masturbate to Rapunzel – though they probably got mad when her hair was cut short at the end of Tangled.
In all seriousness, I have really thick hair – have since birth – and if it gets too long I literally cannot brush it – my hairbrush can’t reach deep enough, resulting in it getting tangled and messy. I have to keep it shoulder length at the longest for it to be manageable. But these guys would probably still be pissed if they met me.

Biot (yet again!)
Biot (yet again!)

Sombrero golems? Oh my gosh, those have to be the cutest things in the world. The only question is, what would they look like?

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Agent of the FemiNest Collective; Keeper of a Hell Toupee, and all-around Intergalactic Meanie

@Alan,

Your musician buddy is in good company about the ashes thing:

Putting yourself into your work, indeed.

DL
DL

As much as I like the name pixie cut I’d totally be up for a harpy cut, though I’ve always seen them portrayed with long hair. But hell yeah, let me transform into a bird and poke the eyes of misogynist dishrags with my talons.

Katz

Today in gender policing: The scourge of girls wearing T-shirts and jeans! And some of them also have VERY LITTLE MAKEUP!! VERY LITTLE, you guys!

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

@Katz: Reading that thread, it sounded more like the person was annoyed at how most girls in YA are described as ‘not like other girls’, and that the ones who wear makeup/display things that are traditionally considered feminine are usually the rivals.

Which checks out, from the YA I both remember and have read kind of recently. Usually the girls are the nerd, non-girly girls… Until they find a boyfriend, and then they clean up for a dance or whatever.

It read to me like the person was against gender policing, and wanted more variety to represent more ways to be.

I would be interested in having more variety in the types of heroes in YA, and it would be cool to have someone who is owning their femininity, however that is actually played out. Or someone who isn’t waiting to be noticed by the dude and then asked to the dance, where they can take off their glasses and put on some makeup and suddenly be gorgeous.

Unfortunately, caring about appearance in any way is usually a shorthand for someone who is going to be the MC’s rival, which is kind of not great. Liking to wear makeup, or co-ordinating your outfit, or just making sure that you feel that you look nice =/= evil, and it seems like it usually does.

If I’ve misinterpreted what you were saying, I’m sorry! Like I said, I just read this twitter thread, not the one it was spawning off from. I’m also not sure if there’s been a sweeping change in YA books in the past years, it has admittedly been a while since I was in that target demographic, or read any of the really popular ones.

kupo
kupo

When I read a book and the main character is really femme and wears dresses and heels and makeup I get this weird sense of not being femme enough myself, so I notice it. There are plenty of books like this. I don’t read a whole lot of YA but the one I read most recently had two female protagonists who were femme. Plus any romance novel I’ve ever read (admittedly, not many, as it’s not a genre I’ve ever gotten into much). So I disagree with the person quoted here that all the characters suffer from not being femme enough.

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

It could be that I just read books that had characters who were similar to me* then! That is also very possible, since you do read the backs of the books to decide if you want to actually read it. And I was definitely a nerdy, not-girly child.

Romance is a different beast entirely, I’d argue. I don’t read a lot of it, and… oh my god I’m not admitting the last one I read that is considered part of the genre for marketing purposes, but it was awful. And had a lead who didn’t care about her appearance at all. Maaaybe I should read something not awful in that category.

(*minus the hoping to be taken to the dance 9__9)