alt-lite alt-right andrew anglin anti-Semitism daily stormer fake news harassment literal nazis memes men who should not ever be with women ever racism threats trump

Daily Stormer threatens to “track down” children of CNN staffers in wake of so-called #CNNBlackmail

Andrew Anglin of the Daily Stormer

By David Futrelle

See correction at end of post.

The neo-Nazi internet tip sheet The Daily Stormer is warning CNN employees that itstroll army will “track down” their parents, siblings, spouses and children in an act of revenge against the network for its reporting on the racist and anti-Semitic Reddit memester who made a gif depicting Donald Trump body-slamming a man with a CNN logo for a head that achieved internet infamy after Trump himself retweeted it a few days ago.

What’s pissing off the Stormers, and the all-too-familiar assortment of internet deplorables (and bots) behind the #CNNBlackmail hashtag, is that CNN, which hasn’t publicly named the memester, says that as a news organization it retains the right to publicly identify him in the future.

Yep, that’s right: a bunch of dudes who have no problem doxxing or threatening to dox people they don’t like is mad at CNN for not actually doxxing someone. And neo-Nazi hacker Andrew Auernheimer, aka weev, seems to be the angriest of the bunch, his fury initially driven in part by false reports that the memester was 15 years old. (He is in fact an adult.) And so in a post on the Daily Stormer he rallied the troops for what he sees as a righteous campaign to force CNN “to taste their own medicine.” Although it isn’t the “same medicine” at all.

After presenting CNN with a list of ridiculous demands that no real news organization would ever meet — including firing all the journalists vaguely connected to the CNN story and setting up a $50,000 college scholarship for the racist memester — weev declares

If you do not do this, we are going to be tracking you down just like you tracked him down.

You are fake news, and we are the real media. As journalists, we have the right to track people down and seek comment on your criminal associations. We now have jackboots on the ground in every major metro area in the world.

We are going to track down your parents.
We are going to track down your siblings.
We are going to track down your spouses.
We are going to track down your children. Because hey, that’s what you guys get to do, right? We’re going to see how you like it when our reporters are hunting down your children.

We are going to seek comment from them all, because you are fake news terrorists engaged in a seditious plot to undermine our President and the 63 million people who voted for him. HanAssholeSolo was a private citizen, but none of you are. We are going to see you brought to account for this, because that’s what real media does: expose criminals.

The difference being that when real real reporters “seek comment” from someone, they literally seek comment from them. When Stormers and their alt-right pals “seek comment” from people it usually means the targets of their “questioning” get sent a lot of death threats and oven memes, an impression Daily Stormer publisher Andrew Anglin doesn’t exactly dispel with his own post filled with an assortment of violent anti-CNN memes, including one featuring the heads of assorted CNN journalists pasted onto photos of Jews in a concentration camp and another one of CNN’s Andrew Kaczynski, the author of the offending story, warning him to “sleep with one eye open.”

Weev goes on to inform

Any CNN employee that does not want to be tracked down alongside their families will have one additional week to quit CNN and denounce their act of blackmail against a private citizen. After that, it is game on.

Do you understand what is coming? This is going to be ironic punishment. You are going to have the exact thing done to you that you’ve been doing to us for ages. You have an easy chance to stop this, so don’t say that we don’t play fair, and don’t pretend you didn’t have it coming.

We didn’t make these rules – you did – and now we’re going to force you to play by them. Hope you enjoy what is coming, you filthy rat kike bastards.

Kill yourselves, kike news fakers. You deserve every single bit of what you are about to get.

Lovely.

CORRECTION: This story originally attributed a Daily Stormer post to the site’s publisher Andrew Anglin; it was actually written for the Daily Stormer by neo-Nazi hacker Andrew Auernheimer, aka weev. Anglin posted his own threatening post later.

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

Rhuu: apologies!! Forgive me.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I haven’t actually seen the meme itself.

PreuxFox
PreuxFox

@JS I’ve had a look, I’m afraid I still don’t get it. I’m not seeing a huge difference between this and any other meme in the genre of ‘pasting logos over heads’. There seems to be a feeling that it’s promoting violence against reporters, but I don’t think that type of meme is meant to be taken literally. I think I would interpret it differently if the face of a specific reporter was used instead of the logo. Obviously it isn’t meant to be friendly, but it doesn’t look like a threat to me, any more than the memes in that genre that come out after every E3. I don’t look at one of those and think that people are advocating for Nintendo to literally beat up the employees or owners of the other console companies, etc. they’re offering commentary on what they think happened.

I don’t know. All the articles I’m finding seem to focus on the fact that the poster is a bigot (obviously) and aren’t helping me very much with what was so threatening about the existence of the meme itself that CNN felt they had to respond that way.

There’s probably still something I’m not getting here. That’s alright. I don’t think I’ll be criticizing any companies in the near future, anyway (at least not off anon – maybe this strikes me differently because I already have to be careful what I say – a very large American company has threatened my family in the past for speaking out about their crimes). Thank you for trying to help me understand.

Edit @scented f*cking hard chairs – well that’s not very nice. I remember why I don’t ask questions around here any more. I’ll take my learning disabled butt elsewhere, don’t worry.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Friendly reminder since no one has brought it up yet. Republican voters are generally wealthier than Democratic voters.

I’ve yet to see any convincing evidence that economic anxiety and/or Democratic elitism have anything to do with why Trump’s voters voted for him. In my experience, poor Republicans are motivated by hatred of reproductive freedom, racism, homophobia and Islamophobia. It is only the wealthier conservatives that have “economic anxiety” because they don’t want to pay taxes.

This narrative that Democrats are detached from “real” Americans and their priorities is a diversionary tactic the Republicans engage in to distract from their own classism. If Mrex isn’t a troll, than she’s a useful idiot. That’s not much better.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

For the past several months, Trump has been egging on his slobbering fanboys to physically assault reporters. A couple of weeks ago, one of his lackeys physically assaulted a reporter. This week, he posted a meme of himself physically assaulting an entire network of reporters. Do you get it now?

Oh, so you do agree that memes can be insulting! Good to know.

I’ll take my learning disabled butt elsewhere, don’t worry.

Don’t even fucking try this. Just don’t.

Gr8Dane
Gr8Dane

@Axe and @Rhu
I was a little upset that people would think my comment would be directed at his genitals because I would not make a comment like that. Then I read your comments after I left my comment in response regarding his height. Now I feel like shit and even though it was not about his genitals it was about his height and you’re absolutely right, it is still body shaming. It’s wrong and I am sorry. I just find him so disgusting and I said something that was offensive. Deeply sorry

Robert Walker-Smith
Robert Walker-Smith

My take on it:
CNN: “We know you did this thing, and we would like you to apologise, not do it again, and ask your cohort to not imitate it. We won’t tell anyone who you are if you do these things, but reserve the right to reconsider if you don’t.”
Shiptoaster: “I’d rather nobody find out that I was the one who did that thing, so I agree.”

Damn, that might as well be Room 101!

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Preux Fox,

It’s the context that’s disturbing. Trump has been doing everything he can to undermine the freedom of press. One of the several things he has done is rile up his base and imply that the media are lying traitors who should be violently dealt with. Trump retweeting the meme approvingly is part of that.

CNN and every other media outlet that doesn’t solely publish pro-Trump propaganda has* every reason to be concerned that someone will be inspired enough by Trump’s rhetoric to actually commit acts of violence against members of the press.

* Or should it be have? I’m not much of a grammarian and couldn’t decide.

History Nerd
History Nerd

Part of the problem, I think, is that some historians (like Howard Zinn) incorrectly labeled populists as a left-wing movement because they were anti-establishment and opposed World War I. Many were racist and far right and didn’t do much to improve education, wages, or working conditions.

BTW, Zinn also underestimates the degree to which parts of the Republican Party were anti-slavery or left-wing in the 1850’s and 1860’s.

This Handle is a Test
This Handle is a Test

Re: economic anxiety:. Part of why Trump won Michigan was a decline in the D vote in Dem working class areas that voted Dem down ballot (including for minorities). Trump picked up a small portion of this vote, but a lot of it voted Stein or Johnson. Now, economic anxiety played a part (a lot of these communities have really been through the wringer) and they didn’t necessarily vote Trump but they did play a part in him winning the state.

mrex
mrex

@Grumpy

Yup. 🙂

For a long time manufacturing jobs were the easiest way for the working class to gain benefits such as health insurance and retirement/pension. Increasingly we’re just doing without.

Cyberwulf
Cyberwulf

imagine if weev was swiftly arrested for publicly threatening blackmail

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Yeah, that was my take too. I’ve got to say that internet shitposters can not exactly proclaim themselves to be crusaders for free speech if they’ll only do their “activism” under the cloak of internet anonymity. Real social justice movements are full of people who risked ostracization, jail, even death for their cause. Can’t imagine internet trolls doing anything like that.

This Handle is a Test
This Handle is a Test

Re: Populism:. As it was conceived in the 1890s version (People’s party, to an extent in the William Jennings Bryan campaigns) the aim was vaguely left wing with some nationalization, reform to the money system, reform with how big companies were dealt with. However, even then it was confused at best on racial issues (the People’s party itself tried to avoid the issue and Jennings Bryan was a racist).

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Anyone who thought a libertarian president like Gary Johnson would do anything for working class people honestly deserves any shit that will happen to them during the Trump administration.

PreuxFox
PreuxFox

@Scented F*cking Hardchairs

Insulting, yes. Threatening? Was I supposed to think that you are threatening to drive a car through my house? My interpretation is that you were making fun of me for having trouble finding the meme, not that you were threatening to do property damage. I certainly don’t hope CNN came after someone just for saying something they thought was rude.

I’m not sure what you think I was ‘trying’. You seem to be frustrated with me for not being able to navigate the internet; so I acknowledged that I am stupid, which seems to be what you’re frustrated by, and that I’ll go ask somewhere else more appropriate.

And no, I still don’t really see the connection, but I think you are frustrated with me so that’s alright. Again, I will go ask somewhere else.

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

@Gr8Dane: You know what, I hadn’t even thought about the height thing, so I’ve definitely learned something here too. It’s just… so hard to express anger in a way that doesn’t shame someone in some way. Our culture and language just aren’t very good at it.

I keep finding myself making assumptions or using turns of phrase and then either being called out on it, or catching myself and thinking “Oh noooo, why did I say that? Not again!”

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

It’s been explained several times in this thread why it can be interpreted as threatening and not just “rude.”

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Let’s not talk about what states who won without mentioning voter supression in those states. Cos that shit is always left outta the convo

@SFHC
Lay off Preux, will ya? Seriously jerk move, and that’s me saying it. Nothing wrong with what they asked, their concerns, or any past actions, afaict. Save the bile for @mrex, ain’t like she’s ever going away…

@Gr8Dane

Eh, fuck ups happen. I said “fuck that”, not “fuck you”. It’s all cool!

🙂

Preux Fox,

For months, months, Trump has called CNN fake news, and has stated openly he would like to see them go down as a news org.

Then, he Tweets this meme, taken from a known racist, anti-semitic, xenophobic web site of him “taking down CNN.”

And he does so, knowing that his Tweets are considered official White House positions.

Also knowing his fucking sychophants would gobble up every word, and would turn their ire onto CNN, because he has ‘conditioned’ them to believe that CNN, and the press in general, are evil, fake news orgs “out to get him.”

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@GOSJM

, in that it was forced to compromise its traditional values in order to survive the Reagan-Gingrich onslaught and the Right-Wing Fox/Drudge/Limbaugh/Breitbart propaganda operation, and now seems very unsure of how vigorously to express its core values.

Wrong. The DLC wasn’t forced to do jack shit, they picked that third way bullshit all on their own. They could’ve fucking well fought back instead, if they actually had the core values you attribute to them. They don’t, though.

One of the big problems is that working for the working class is very much in the Democrats’ DNA,

Say what? Which incarnation of the Democrats is this? Cos it isn’t one that’s existed in my lifetime.

but they are losing those votes because they haven’t been able to appeal to them the way the Republicans have.

Because they took any pretense of economic progressiveness and buried it at a fucking crossroads with a stake through its heart, and have never given more than lukewarm support at best to social progress (look how many forced-birther democrats there are, just as a for instance).

It seems like the white working class is more susceptible to appeals based on cultural/religious issues, not economic issues

1)The ‘white working class’ didn’t elect Trump, as has been discussed many, many, many many times here since the election.

2)The Democrats need to stop trying to appeal to the quislings of the ‘white working class’, and start fighting for the working class and the poor. And the non-white, female, and queer, while they’re at it. Because that’s how a leftist (ostensibly) party gets votes, not by being a little less conservative than the fascists. They need to be fighting gerrymandering, voter ID laws, restricting voting rights of current and former convicts, etc. not kissing up to people who are never going to support a progressive platform regardless.

“— in fact, they seem to be convinced that the “elitists” who are “shipping their jobs overseas” are Democrats. The dilemma is how to get those votes back without appealing to racial and religious antipathies.”
The Democrats can’t ‘get those votes back’ because they never fucking had them.

History Nerd
History Nerd

William Jennings Bryan was arguably left-wing, but his policies would’ve increased the price of food in cities. He was also a fundamentalist (albeit less extreme than some) and was pretty confused on social issues in general.

PreuxFox
PreuxFox

@wierdwoodtreehugger

Yes, I know, that’s why I am confused that the other commenter seems to think I didn’t think memes can be insulting. I didn’t think that was what we were talking about, I thought we were talking about it being threatening.

Thank you to everyone who has tried to explain. I don’t think I am in a good place to understand right now so I think I will come back later when I am feeling better, and maybe when one of my partners is awake and can help me understand what you all are explaining. I am sorry if my questions or other things I said were not appropriate, it’s that my understanding of what happened is scaring me, and I thought I must be wrong since so many of you thought it was okay and you usually know what’s going on better than I do. But I think maybe I interrupted a more important conversation or I was rude somehow. I’m sorry.

This Handle is a Test
This Handle is a Test

History nerd:. True, though a better example of a left-wing populist was James B. Weaver (who was slightly less fundamentalist, but still awkward on social issues).

And in Michigan it had less to do with Johnson than with the idea that “ex-serviceman” made a more respected version for a protest vote than Stein. And I could give you chapter and verse, but there is a long history between the Clinton’s and the rank and file non+Detroit Dem voters in Michigan (which was also reflected in the primary with Sanders). Generally, even the people I know that voted (and it was a lot) for her almost always did so with the enthusiasm one would do with keeping a dental appointment (and bear inind they still did it).

JS
JS

I just… let’s consider how the alt-righties would have gone ridiculous if Obama or Clinton had tweeted a similar thing, and CNN reacted in exactly the same way to trace down, and not expose, the original shiptoaster.

There would have been multiple calls for impeachment, praise for CNN being brave enough to stand up to the bullying left-wing, doxxing of the offender even though CNN didn’t. No threats of doxxing CNN’s journos and familes.

There might be some ultra left-wing that threatened such, but they’d be a lot quieter about it.

mrex
mrex

@JS

“Do you people who don’t like CNN’s reaction see the alt-right double standard yet?”

Yes. I’ve always seen it. BUT, if I think that threatening someone with the release of their name to the internet hoards is wrong, then it doesn’t matter to me who does it. It doesn’t matter that the neo-nazis are worse, or that the person being threatened is scum.

Fuck this year, and that we are now using “better than LITERAL neo-Nazis” as an actual standard of behavior.

@WWTH

Yes, the story of the “elistist” Democrat is used by Republicans as a diversion from their classism. Why do you think I get so pissed by jokes about “economic anxiety” and the like?

Who’s useful idiot am I? All I want is for the Democrats to STFU and be actually progressive. And win elections.

Let me ask you this; what do you guys lose by considering my POV? You’ll cinsider fighting to save low class jobs? Bolster the safety net? Stop offshoring pollution?

How unDemocratic.

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

Andrew Kacynzki’s family are getting constantly harrased already by phone calls and these assholes are planning protests in front of his house.

Cernovich, typically, is spreading around that KFILE is a pedophile.

WHO ARE THE ACTUAL BAD GUYS HERE?!??

Fuck these assholes. Goddamned hypocritical cretins.

Mrex, are you kidding me?!?
Do you honestly think this fucking bullshit is going to go away if democrats win elections?!?

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

You really don’t see a problem with somebody writing a mini dissertation on why they see nothing wrong with a meme they admit they hadn’t actually bothered to look at? But sure, I’ll let JS, WWTH and PeeVee take over from here, since apparently they can say the very same thing in the very same tone without you calling them out. ¬_¬

mrex
mrex

[Edit]

Yes that sarcasm is because those things are exactly Democratic. The Democraric party always was the party of unions and the working class. Now I have to deal with people who put “Trump” stickers next to their “Unions build America” stickers, and I wish for the ground to come swallow me up.

[Edit edit]

@PV

Yes, if the Democrats win elections, they’ll gain power, and the neo-Nazis will lose power.

Will there still be internet assholes? Yes. But they won’t have the backing of the white house, like they do now.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I’m still trying to figure out how shutting the fuck up will win elections in the first place.

JS
JS

Let me be clear… I’m not using “better than literal Neo-Nazis” as my standard. My standard is “would I be OK with my name not being revealed along with what could be interpreted to be a veiled threat to reveal it, if I posted such crap”. And I would. I’m surprised that CNN went along with his request for anonymity, but considering his apology and removal of account BEFORE he talked with CNN, I see why they said “OK, but..”.

You still don’t see the double standard. You are willfully ignoring it.

Still Fiqah
Still Fiqah

@Mish Future Empress of the Catladies: My pleasure! Finding out how trash humans who didn’t start life as trash humans became trash humans is a bit of a hobby of mine.

@Weird EBTR: You nailed it. Someone working with SPLC did a psych profile of Anglin not long ago, and that’s basically it (with some possibly accurate and disturbing hypotheses about his childhood and early adolescence) in a nutshell.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Also, “ignore me” means that my behavior is hella compulsive. All arguments have to be out. Arguing with me just keeps the engagement going. I probably should just ask to be banned.

That sounds like a personal problem that any reasonable and halfway considerate person would work out on their own time and not expect an entire commentariat to work out for you.

But I reckon it’s way easier to outsource that work to other folks rather than do it yourself, so … carry on being a lazy fuck?

Mrex,

This BULLSHIT started under Obama.

Give me a goddamned break.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

wrt to CNN’s “blackmail”:

This dude did a thing that is newsworthy. That makes him news. CNN tracking him down is just a news outlet doing its job. I would have had no problem with CNN just publishing his name in a story, but they elected not to do it, probably because he accidented his way into fame rather than putting himself out there purposefully. However, they aren’t going to swear not to publish his name ever, no exceptions, because he might push himself back into the spotlight at some point. CNN hasn’t done anything worth criticizing here, except for wording their announcement poorly.

The dude wasn’t very fussed about having his meme tweeted by Shinra until it turned out there might be real-world consequences. Then suddenly he became the very picture of contriteness. Obviously his apology is under duress, and he probably views CNN’s promise not to publish his name as long as he stays on the down-low from now on as a threat. Most people who are anonymous on the internet would view it as a threat. It’s not a threat, though, for a news outlet to reserve the right to publish future potential news. If you’re news, news outlets will investigate you, and may publish your name. That’s just reality.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@SFHC
Ya know what? Nevermind me, don’t stop on my account…

mrex
mrex

@WWTH

I think shutting up about how “rich” working class Republicans are, will win elections. I didn’t mean to shut up about policy duh.

@JS

Ok, I got you.

I don’t think I would be fine with what CNN did even if I had posted such crap. To me, CNN is the powerful entity in that equation. But maybe that’s just me.

@POM

It’s not laziness. I just don’t know how to stop it, without replacing it with something worse.

But you’re right, it’s not on anyone else to fix.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I didn’t say working class Republicans are rich and haven’t seen anyone else say that. I said Republicans are generally richer than Democrats.

If you’re going to constantly come here to pick fights, fine. But at least argue with things that people are saying and not shit that you just made up.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

Guys, I get the feeling that this current discourse is not going to be very productive. Maybe y’all should lay off.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

It is laziness, because I called it “work” for a reason. If it were effortless, I would have called it something other than work.

History Nerd
History Nerd

This is a good video about journalists and mathematical illiteracy. She also covers some feminist issues.

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

I’m gonna post this again, for those who aren’t getting it.

Andrew Kacynzki’s family are getting constantly harrased already by phone calls and these assholes are planning protests in front of his house.

Other reporters are already getting their addresses published online.

Cernovich, typically, is spreading around that KFILE is a pedophile.

WHO ARE THE ACTUAL BAD GUYS HERE?!

FOR THOSE THAT AREN’T PAYING ATTENTION, IT’S NOT CNN!!!

And this shit started happening far, far before Trump took the WH. DUH.

ColeYote
ColeYote

This is literal fucking terrorism. Jesus Christ, I hate the internet.

PaganReader - Misandrist Spinster

But I’m done here.

Good. Hopefully this time you’ll stay away.

LindsayIrene, Rioting Werebonobo

they’re entitled to a good job like that without having to go to college

The horror. The horror.

Robert Walker-Smith
Robert Walker-Smith

This Handle is a Test – comparing voting for Clinton to a dental appointment works for me. My dad used to say that the only thing worse than going to the dentist was *not* going to the dentist.

Part of me is starting to think that we’d be better off now if Sanders had gotten the nomination. We’d still have Trump, but nobody would be blaming her and the Sandersnistas would be a lot quieter.

Mrex, would it be more agreeable to you if Democrats focused more on how wealthy Republicans manipulate working class Republicans into voting *against* their own interests, while wealthy Democrats try to manipulate them into voting *for* their own interests – or would that also seem excessively confrontational?

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@History Nerd
Forgive me for asking but why does your avatar keep changing from blue to red? And why does the red one always acts like a jerk.

PaganReader - Misandrist Spinster

Today I learned that it’s unethical to say “if you leave us alone, we’ll leave you alone.”

Only if it’s some mrex doesn’t like saying it.

I probably should just ask to be banned.

Wish you would, know full well that you won’t.

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

Hmmm, OogglyBoggles…since WP avatars are assigned by email (mine stays the same no matter what device I use) why use 2 email addys?

Questions, questions.