grandiosity pandering traitor in chief trump

Trump celebrates July 4th by tweeting an atrocity of a song celebrating … himself

America’s Narcissist in Chief

By David Futrelle

Donald Trump has tweeted many horrifying things since becoming our Fake President, but none perhaps as horrifying as the … thing … he tweeted out early this morning as a Fourth of July greeting to his subjects: video of a Trump-branded ersatz national anthem sung by an (almost) all-white mega-church choir.

My fellow Americans, witness the musical and political atrocity that is the song “Make America Great Again.” (And see if you can spot the Asian woman amidst the sea of white performers.)

If Trump could figure out how to make this the new national anthem he almost certainly would. I guess this is what we get for electing an authoritarian meglomaniac to the highest office in the land.

While this song “feels like a dystopian anthem or a piece of explicit propaganda,” the Daily Dot notes,

[i]t’s actually an entirely real song performed by First Baptist Church in Dallas Saturday night.

The song was performed as part of an introduction to Trump’s speech during its Celebrate Freedom Rally and was written by the church’s former minister of music Gary Moore.

I can’t help but think of this clip from North Korean state television.

Enjoy your 4th of July, fellow Americans, as best you can given the circumstances.

Tanguy Pluchet
Tanguy Pluchet

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

Must be annoying with 44/50 state saying “no we aren’t going to give you the voters’ info.”

Then again Trump would have a reason to use that tweet to calm himself.

“The G20 agenda is set for some uncomfortable conversations,” Charles Kupchan, a Council on Foreign Relations senior fellow, told NBC News. “It will be dominated by climate change, by free trade, by immigration, and these are issues where Trump is — more or less — alone.”

/ tiniest orchestra for the man who keeps digging his hole with the best of shovels

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

^have a black woman say that shit, and it’s just about my feelings towards this administration today

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

comment image

Er…

(He could always sell Alaska back to Russia. Then it would be technically true.)

Steven Dutch
Steven Dutch

It hit me halfway through this thing. Hancock. The Will Smith movie where he’s a screw-up superhero who causes more harm than he prevents. Trump wants to make America great again so badly he doesn’t care how much havoc he creates, as long as he can gold plate it and put a monogram on it.

Real superhero opportunities don’t come along often. We had one in WWII, where we faced down real danger and evil. Iraq grabbing Kuwait was wrong, but dealing with it was akin to slapping a schoolyard bully upside the head (and I was in it). We had another one in the Civil Rights era, but it turns out a lot of people who applauded politely were closet villains.

Most of the time, you show you’re a hero by being civilized, keeping your hands off other people and their stuff, and doing your job. That’s tedious. Plus showing your heroism by making sure everyone is well treated costs money. A bombastic choral piece with absolutely zero character or melody is quicker and more fun.

Katie's Elderly Minion
Katie's Elderly Minion

He is the least Christian President ever. Yet they laud him. Ugh.

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

Pussy Riot’s lyrics to their song “Make America Great Again” is far closer to the reality of our US:

What do you want your world to look like?
What do you want it to be?
Do you know that a wall has two sides?
And nobody is free?
Did your mama come from Mexico
Papa come from Palestine
Sneaking all through Syria
Crossing all the border lines

Let other people in
Listen to your women
Stop killing black children
Make America Great Again

Could you imagine a politician
Calling a woman a dog?
Do you wanna stay in the kitchen?
Is that where you belong?
How do you picture the perfect leader
Who do you want him to be
Has he promoted the use of torture and killing families

Let other people in
Listen to your women
Stop killing black children
Make America Great Again

dreemr
dreemr

@Steven Dutch

This is something I try to teach my son, too. We rarely get the opportunity for a big, dramatic hero moment.

Being a hero is doing the little things, like being honest, reliable, and compassionate. It’s being there and supporting your loved ones, taking care of people when they’re sick, feeding someone who is hungry, listening to someone who feels alone.

Yeah, I’d like to be someone who pulls a child from a burning building or saves some in some other death-defying scenario. But mostly we just have to make do with the quieter, smaller stuff.

MrsObedMarsh
MrsObedMarsh

I’ve never made a serious study of music, but even I can tell that’s a crappy composition. It’s so cliched and pandering! How can anyone like it unironically?

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Steven Dutch:

I’ve always liked Fred Clark’s description of the ‘Anti-Kitten Burning Coalition’… those people who get absolutely incensed about some (usually) obvious moral issue, and somehow convince themselves that this makes them more righteous than everybody else who hasn’t said anything and therefore can be assumed to be okay with it.

He had another call back to it yesterday:

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I just had a flashback to Ashcroft’s “Let the Eagle Soar.” Brrr.

Hambeast, disorderly she-tornado and breaker of windows
Hambeast, disorderly she-tornado and breaker of windows

I failed to spot any people who weren’t white. Not watching again because the song was schlocky bad. I think we’ll be seeing it again, though, probably at a pointless rally.

Am I the only one who feels like wearing black today? Not that I’m going to because, too damn hot.

Husbeast and I are going to a barbecue later. I’ll be wearing khaki cargo pants and maybe a red tank unless I decide on another color like light aqua.

Patty Thinkerer
Patty Thinkerer

Oh, that’s… exactly what I expected. And I couldn’t find the asian lady in that sea of vanilla.

JS
JS

If you should wish to contact First Baptist Church of Dallas, who provided the choir, and the friendly platform for Trump:
This is their contact us page.

That “Song for America” by Hugh Laurie had better melodic composition. Lyics were better, too.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Here’s a better US president talking on the 4th:

Wwaxwork
Wwaxwork

A song so over the top even Kim Jong Un would be embarrassed about having something similar sung to him.

eli
eli

I’m in bed for the fourth day straight with an atrocious summer cold. I refuse to inflict that piece of music on my poor aching head!

Hope everyone can find what enjoyment they can find today

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

A better song for today:

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@SCROTUS: Ugh.

LindsayIrene, Rioting Werebonobo

Do they have no concept of musical dynamics? The song is just one long crescendo. And what the hell was that ‘tinkle tinkle tinkle’ noise? How do you even get a triangle that loud?

annoyediowan
annoyediowan

Off-topic (from a lurker, so extra apologies):

How do I report a person pretending to be a business somehow located in a park (how did Facebook allow that in the first place??) with a misleadingly named Facebook place page?

Add to that they use it to post right wing propaganda comments you can’t actually block in any meaningful way on almost every single Des Moines Register Facebook post. The DMR page already has several regular trolls, but blocks actually work to hide their comments.

Oh, and the cherry on top is the page itself is full of anti-environmental pseudoscience posts.

I’ve tried [page menu] > Report > Not a Public Place a while ago but that didn’t work. I’m hoping flagging everything he posts as spam (which it is coming from a “business”) eventually works, but I’m not very hopeful.

It aggravates me to no end that this guy has been able to do this for months with no action so far (and there isn’t an obvious way to report this specific kind of abuse), but people legitimately using non-legal names so easily get the boot.

Mea
Mea

Needs more cowbell?

Owen
Owen

“Peter Piper claimed he picked them/ he just underpaid Pablo” ouuuuuch

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

What a garbage song; I’m not wasting my time contacting them, though.

Tosca, Chaos made Flesh, Servant of the Purring Jew
Tosca, Chaos made Flesh, Servant of the Purring Jew

Wow, that was unpleasant. Repetitive, cliched, unimaginative, bombastic and trite. Trump must have loved it.

Paradoxical Intention - Leader of the Deathclaw Damsels

Not necessarily an anthem suggestion, but it’s an earworm that’s been stuck in my head for the past few days:

Buffalo Headroom (it doesn't have to make sense)

‘Eccentric’ is a trait that many dictators seem to have for some odd reason.

Katz

I just had a flashback to Ashcroft’s “Let the Eagle Soar.” Brrr.

Dammit, I’d forgotten about that.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

At least I got blondies from a family friend.

Also, I have tinnitus in the left ear, so I can’t…enjoy this song to the fullest. (Though if anyone has any advice as to how to deal with this, please, do tell.)

Nequam
Nequam

Anybody seen the responses to NPR’s tweeting the Declaration of Independence?

PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Perpetually Ignored, Invisible but Noice) Sarcastic

Nequam, I cannot believe how dumb some people are. One woman suggested npr’s account was hacked. Eyeroll.

JS
JS

Re: Trump being the least Christian President. Trump claims to be Presbyterian. According to wikipedia, the church he claimed membership in (Marble Collegiate Church, which is not Presbyterian), says he is not an active member.

Re: Song of Make America Gate Again.
First, he didn’t even tweet a video of the whole song. It just starts in the middle of blaring trumpets.

This is an example of Baptist Mega-Church Christianity (12000+ claimed members). I strongly suspect they preach the Prosperity Gospel (which is essentially, give us plenty of money, and you will be saved!) They clearly love praise music as well, which is “praise the lord, for he is great”, repeat ad nauseaum. Ad Trumplican slogan in this case.

What makes massed choirs with orchestra so fun, is the very large dynamic range you can get with 100+ people. That and the close harmony you can get with more than the standard 4 SATB setup. This was just “sing as loud as you want” for about 2 minutes, SATB standard harmony. In only a few spots were they singing anything other than the same thing the whole choir was singing. (No counterpoint, descant in just 1 or 2 obvious places, this is “choral music for dummies”.)

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

What worked for me was just tuning it out and not listening with headphones for long periods of time. There’s also having white noise in the background like a fan or air conditioning to drown it out so you can listen to music in comfort.

I got tinnitus in both ears as long as I can remember, and nonstop independence day fireworks combined with being within driving distance to Disneyland is kind of making the ringing really unpleasant. Especially when they’re so loud it makes all the cars go bleeping in panic.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Nequam
Yep! Hey, deplorables, ya do realize that we’re the ones who’re meant to be equating Trump and George III, right? The owngoaling, it’s superb 😁

@PeeVee

One woman suggested npr’s account was hacked

I mean, even if I didn’t know it was the Declaration, 18th century political prose seems to me exactly the sorta thing NPR would tweet chain on Independence Day…

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Troubelle
A computer search for “tinnitus remedy” yields many results.

I wish you luck.

Dan Kasteray
Dan Kasteray

Speaking as a security guard, the really heroic moments are when nothing happens. People take your picture and you go viral when you take down a felon, but just talking someone down without violence and resulting in nobody getting hurt gets you no fame. But you did right.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

So . . . every woman in that choir had to go out and buy a string of pearls (real or simulated)? Okay.

Echoing the mega-church minister in the video, I”m grateful tonight that the video stopped at 2 minutes, 15 seconds.

Check out Neil Young’s patriotic “Children of Destiny,” which dropped today. Yeah, the guy’s Canadian. I’m gonna let that slide.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RKBUG9VLFU&w=560&h=315%5D

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Dan Kasteray

Just talking someone down without violence and resulting in nobody getting hurt gets you no fame. But you did right.

A reward in and of itself.

This Handle is a Test
This Handle is a Test

Not all Christians like Trump, the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, there are about 3 million of us) and most Methodist groups are not friends of trump and opposed his refugee ban and his immigration nonsense.

To quote my grandmother (who’s still with us and one of her last acts before her health went to hell was to cast an absentee ballot for Hillary): “He’s no Christian” (when she said it, it was about GWB but the statement is more true now)

JS
JS

CW: Trump sex harrassment

Lesser-known second verse:

Make America Great Again
Make America Great Again
Lift the skirts of women all across the land
Grab them by the pussy, with my tiny hand
Make America Great Again, ad nauseam.

(Not my lyrics, but they seem appropriate to this man and his hands)

Moggie
Moggie

JS:

Just a few months ago, Trump was unsure whether Presbyterians are Christian. Which would be jaw-dropping from anyone else in his position, but it’s consistent with his cluelessness about, well, pretty much everything. Cognitive decline is a terrible thing.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Oh, Ashcroft. Remember that rumor that he’s afraid of calico cats because they’re satanic? Makes me proud to be the human servant of a calico!

Sheila Crosby

I lasted 38 seconds into the song.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Reporter: What church are you member of?

Trump: Uh…United Presbylutheran. They have the best church. Lots of gold’n stuff. Tremendous.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

In better music news, I just found there’s a Tahitian language version of Disney’s Moana. Here’s “How far I’ll go” with lyrics:

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

Happy birthday, America. Don’t despair: the bad times will end if you all pull together, which you are doing admirably. We in the rest of the world have got your back.

(Also, I am totally sniggering over that NPR twitter thread. Thanks for that, Nequam.)

bluecat
bluecat

Oh my.

Happy Fourth of July, everyone else!

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Trump should listen to this instead:

RosieLa
RosieLa

I wonder what the NPR trolls would think of this editorial. The editorial in question comes from Canada’s right-wing newspaper.

Weird (Encouraged by the RESISTANCE!!!!) Eddie
Weird (Encouraged by the RESISTANCE!!!!) Eddie

He is the least Christian President ever. Yet they laud him

They laid him as “the lord useth a flawed vessel…”

This fucker is NOT a “flawed vessel”… Judas Iscariot was a “flawed vessel”, trumplethinskin is the living embodiment of the Seven Deadly Sins