alpha asshole cock carousel antifeminism empathy deficit entitled babies men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW MGTOW of the Day misogyny reddit women's jobs aren't real women's suffrage

MGTOWs reinvent the Handmaid’s Tale, with bonus creepy incest overtones

Happily, there’s a place for women in the coming MGTOW utopia

By David Futrelle

So over in the Men Going Their Way subreddit, the fellas are talking about what to do with “leftover” — i.e. unmarried — women after men finally step up and take the vote away from women, who are always voting for the wrong things anyway.

Apparently unable to understand that most women have jobs, the MGTOWs naturally conclude that in their version of utopia the single ladies — deprived not only of husbands and their resources but of Big Daddy government as well — won’t be able to support themselves. But the MGTOWs, kind ghouls souls all, don’t want to let them starve!

One brave MGTOW has a solution:

BCPrepper 2 points 5 hours ago* All the unmarried women are going to be a serious drain on the system. Rather than using socialism to take care of them like the globalists are hoping for, and since no man wants to be a tradcuck for some CC rider --- I think a better solution is for men to "adopt" one of these leftover women, not as a wife, but as an incubator for a wife. Essentially she'll be impregnated by someone else, and any daughters will be raised to become the man's wives. In return all the women receive shelter, security, and provisioning. Not this perverted materialist provisioning they receive today, which consists of handbags, shoes, McMansions etc. We're talking modest clothes, food. And they will have to pull their weight. This will essentially be a post-collapse society.

(Note: in the preceding quote “CC Rider” refers not to the famous song but to the infamous “cock carousel.”)

Naturally, other MGTOWs are enthusiastic about Mr. BCPrepper’s ingenious proposal.

ZCnegan 4 points 4 hours ago Oh my god. You are a fucking genius. That would actually work. But for that to work, all the pro women laws would have to be abolished, which will happen in case of colapse. Then women without daddy gov to protect them would have to sell themselves very cheap, and still men would not want them. But if I could have a woman raised to by a wife, with 100% loyalty and efficient, and without brainwashing bullshit, then i would maybe consider giving part of my resources, in case i wanted a family/kids and needed a womb. Sex is all they have to offer, and men are becoming tired of it, more and more we see sex for what it is, just sex. And whores are better for it

BCPrepper goes on to praise himself for his “humanitarian” solution to the Leftover Woman Problem.

BCPrepper 1 point 3 hours ago Yup it's the only solution as I see it. Socialism won't work, especially when men don't get good women in return for serving the state. The globalists overplayed their hand, thinking men would just accept their fate as a slave class. Now our biggest concern is Islam taking over. Really not interested in that happening. Artificial wombs might help catalyze the rebirth of western civilization, but it's not a long term solution. There's a humanitarian aspect to caring for the women that made bad choices and are no longer fit for pair bonding. The solution I outlined above gives them safety and purpose.

Such thoughtful fellows these MGTOWs are!

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

What the fuck did I just read?

Nopenopenopenope.

These people need to be exterminated ASAP.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

So… female slaves exchanged amongst the masters for rape.

That’s one possibility. I can also see them wanting to also enslave the “alpha” men they resent so much and using them as studs.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I am making the point that most of these people are so far removed from reality, they are romanticizing worlds that could never exist.

Well, to be fair, that’s not always a bad thing. Romanticising Fallout’s basically saved my ass these past six months, pushing me to keep resisting in real life like I resist in the game; if Imperator M can punch an entire airship of Nazis out of the damn sky, then Real-World M can at least manage to not fall all the way down the vodka hole.

But I know I’m in the minority there.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

These people need to be exterminated ASAP.

Not okay. Also, read the commenting policy.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Just jumping in to say that it’s not a 1:1 comparison to say that ‘fantasy is catnip for fascists’ is like ‘vidya cause violence’. Besides the fact that only the latter asserts causation, there’s still the matter of scope. The video game violence conjecture (VGV) has a way higher, for lack of a better term, burden of proof than the fascist and fantasy conjecture (FAF)

Violence is usually, in these discussions, limited to physical assaults. I think this limitation is harmful, but that’s a whole nother bucket. Anyway, VGV, as an argument, suffers from this. As Dan Olson of Folding Ideas put it:

It turns out, media is actually kinda bad at changing behaviors, but OK at changing how people think about things and good at changing their values

^8:53, but it’s a really good episode all around 🙂

Vidya isn’t gonna make you go out and commit violent crimes, nor will it make violence less shocking to you. But can a medium almost ubiquitous in its lionization of violence as first resort of the righteous make violence, especially for a ’cause’, more palatable than it otherwise would be? Absolutely

In the same vain, is there something to be said for FAF? That elements in fantasy and role play have fascistic undertones (or just straight up tones) and that this might have a push and pull relationship with the broader culture. Again, I say absolutely. Especially for disaffected, white boys or any other person or group… not predisposed… vulnerable to that typa thinking. Not gonna make people get a rune tattoo and memorize the 14 words. But might it make later radicalization easier?

Jeez, this went longer than I expected. Point isn’t to say that fantasy makes people fascists. I’m not even really saying it has any measurable affect. Just that positing such an affect isn’t the same as subscribing to VGV

BritterSweet

These people need to be exterminated ASAP.

Not okay. Also, read the commenting policy.

Yeah, there are better ways to rid the world of these monsters. According to them, all you need to do is get a haircut and/or tattoo, be fat, grow older than 25, and encourage more diverse characters in video games and movies. That’s their equivalent of genocide.

…But yeah, on a serious note, we have standards.

Vanir85
Vanir85

“Yeah, there are better ways to rid the world of these monsters.”

-BritterSweet

Yeh. Apparantly EVERYTHING they dislike is “white genocide”, so it should be easy 😛

kupo
kupo

Done, done, done, done, and done.

dslucia
dslucia

My point certainly isn’t that we shouldn’t point out, scrutinize, criticize, or otherwise try to better the realms of fantasy, or to say that video games and fantasy media don’t have massive issues. I absolutely believe that media plays a pretty significant role in how people form their opinions and view the world, and the darker sides of fantasy fiction can feed into that.

My point is that explicitly making the connection between “likes fantasy” and “is a fascist” is profoundly unhelpful. What does it actually tell us about the person in question? I don’t subscribe to the idea, as EducatedRedneck stated, that these people are actually “removed from reality”. Certainly they have very different ideas about how reality ought to work than most of us do, but they are not delusional, they are not living in some fantasy world, they don’t even believe that they are (even if they might, perhaps, wish so). They are perfectly in control of their mental faculties. They are not representative of everyone who likes video games. They are not even representative of everyone who idealizes fantasy worlds. I think pointing out how they have a tendency to gravitate towards video games and role-playing games would be great to start a discussion on fascism and fascist ideals in media, but that’s not what I was seeing.

EDIT: Not to mention that there are tons of fascists who think that video games, RPGs, and fantasy in general are for children.

JS
JS

Do we really want to have a “FantasyGate” start up (again)? That’s what Carl of Swindon, et al, would really love to happen.

Paradoxical Intention - Leader of the Deathclaw Damsels

Buttercup Q. Skullpants | July 2, 2017 at 5:58 pm

I would maybe consider giving part of my resources

It’s never specified what “resources” these Redditors will possess after civilization collapses. Ore? Brick? Mall katanas?

I think it’s just funny in general that these dudes seem to think they’ll automagically have “resources” after the world goes to shit.

Like, do they really think money would be an acceptable form of currency after the fall of society? I mean, we’d be far more likely to go straight into a bartering system. And maybe that’d include trading currency if the trader so desired, but they’d have to agree to that trade, and they’d very likely only agree to that if they were taking trading up as a sort of profession.

Most people would prioritize stuff they actually have a use for (food, supplies, tools, weapons) over just pure currency, and I don’t think the miggytoes would have much that most people would consider to be useful. Not to mention they’d clearly be shit at trading, since they think they’re owed the world and clearly lack understanding of the concepts of consent or compromise. It’d very likely go how Trump’s “deal” with Mexico to pay for his vanity wall is going. One party insisting that the other will pay, and the other party loudly shouting “FUCK YOU, NO WE’RE NOT.”, except in the post-apocalypse they’d most likely be run off, if not “dealt with”.

And don’t get me started on the notion that a bank account would still be functional post-apocalypse.

TreePerson

I think it could be said that there is a correlation between fascists and identifying with/idealizing fictional dystopian dictatorships (the imperium of man, galactic empire and principality of zeon immediately come to mind),
but its rather recursive since many of the fictional dictatorships neo-nazis idolize are based at least in part on nazi germany.

So it may be more neonazis like fictional factions inspired by nazi Germany.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

To add on to the currency discussion, you can’t eat gold, but you CAN eat potatoes.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@dslucia

All I’m saying. The link between vidya and active, behavioral violence is so often ignorantly cited and so often frustratedly refuted that I think subtler effects are often lost in the shouting matches (not that this has been shouty, just in general, ya know?). ‘Vidya doesn’t cause violence, duh’ or anything like it tends to set off my alarms these days, due to… the usual suspects. Totally same page 🙂

Perfectly fair

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ vicky p

you can’t eat gold

I’ve seen a few recipes that do involve gold leaf or gold flakes. Can’t imagine they’re very nutritious though. Given the choice, I’d definitely go with the potatoes.

Katz

I think it could be said that a correlation between fascists and identifying with/idealizing fictional dystopian dictatorships (the imperium of man, galactic empire and principality of zeon immediately come to mind),

The Imperium of Man is the first thing that comes to mind! Fans have defended it to me as either an over-the-top parody, a cautionary morality tale, or TOTALLY NOT NAZIS WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THERE IS NO RESEMBLANCE. It’s safe to say it can’t be all three.

@Katz
It was a parody back in first edition but that depiction went the way of the Squats in later editions,
now the setting just twists itself into pretzels bending over backwards to justify all the horrible things the imperium does in the name being dark and edgy.

Katz

SUCH DARK. MUCH EDGY.

Again, doesn’t mean you can’t play Warhammer or that playing Warhammer makes you a Bad Person (I play Tyranids and chaos daemons), but if a game contains that kind of imagery, it’s good to observe that it’s there and think about what message it’s sending.

Schnookums Von Fancypants, Not a Yeti or a Chupacabra
Schnookums Von Fancypants, Not a Yeti or a Chupacabra

In reference to the whole “That’s not me, that’s just the character I play on Youtube!” well…I think Kurt Vonnegut had something to say about that sort of thing:

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

I also remember seeing a bit of the awful comic series “Crossed” on scans-daily that did have a bit of the whole MRA fantasy: Man has a safe place from the zombie-esque hordes, uses it to get women and rape them in exchange for safety. As soon as they manage to crack his code for his security system so they could use it, he gets fed to the monsters.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

re: Warhammer 40K

I haven’t played it yet (and my older cousins who do have advised me not to, due to the price alone!), but I’ve read the TV Tropes article. As far as I can tell, every faction sucks, just in different ways. But while the Imperium of Man certainly aren’t the Tyranids, they’re still…not good. At all. Exterminatus, yo.

(Though this reminds me of reading about a parody–Toyhammer or something?–where every faction was sugared up except for the Tau, ironically flipping them from the lightest shade of very, very dark grey to the darkest shade of grey by FAR.)

ETA:

If I were to play, I think I’d go for Dark Eldar.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

I agree that W40K fetishize authoritarism way too much. Not just with the imperium : half the factions are actual fascists dictatorship, the other half is arguably concealed fascists dictators. They even have gone out of their way to make sure people know that Tau aren’t democratics.

The last edition is a mess on that regard. The new leader of the imperium historically dislike the authoritarian / fanatic approach to the Emperor, but he did exactly squat to make the situation improve on that regard, instead concentrating on mutilating new space marine so that they can be dreadnought.

That being said, I don’t think fantasy world are any more prone to incite fascism than science-fiction. I think the relation is reversed, with would-be fascist searching the more fascists books, and twisting them when necessary.

It *is* pretty annoying however, when you start a campaign of the ultimate good vs the ultimate evil (Wrath of the Righteous in Golarion, pathfinder), and you have to explain to some players several time that “they are half demon mongrel !” isn’t actually a valid reason to execute prisonners and make all kind of war crimes.

@Katz
I used to play Tau myself.

Its the guys who act like want to live in the imperium and worship the emperor that deserve all the side eyes,
they always seem to think they will be commissars or chapter masters rather then the poor guardsmen the commissar shots unprovoked to “motivate” the rest.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

In recent lore, Tau can be the more chilling faction, since they are basically 1984.

If I had to choose a faction to play on their non-shitiness, I would likely take the Necron. They are the one race who revolted against their half-deity, fascists despots to reclaim control on their destiny after all. And they don’t try to hide anything under the carpet. Being honest is at least refreshing in the setting.

Of course, they have done their shares of atrocities, and at best they can be said to have good reasons to be xenophobic. But it’s warhammer 40k, the game where purging a planet from all his inhabitant is roughly as forbidden as exceeding speed limits.

Katz

I went for the two most evil factions because playing the crypto-fascists feels a little too close to reality, whereas playing literal daemons is more like joining the Church of Satan.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@ Alan

Only gold I care to eat is Yukon Gold. Them’s good taters.

Ooglyboggles

Personally I like the Necrons. Yeah space Terminators and the whole “we raged a war with the Old Ones so devastating that we turned the Realm of Souls into the hellscape that is the Warp.” thing, but at the same times they’re the only faction that has enough of a unified mindset. Hell the Silent King, their leader who decided to leave saw the Tyranid main fleet and went “huh, well then, Imma nope back to my galaxy and tell all the Necrons to wake up nao.”

My other favorites are the Guardmen and the Sisters of Battle. The former because it’s easier for me sympathize with people who are against literal demons and monsters and the latter because they’re the only ones who seem to be the most able of the Imperium. The latter because the SoB have formal education, access to deadly weaponry, don’t discriminate based on background, have multiple branches for noncombat like medical and teaching, and afaik are perfectly okay with people having relationships of all kinds in their ranks.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

TW: Speculative but still extreme violence

@bluecat

Or it’s a boy, in which case the master gets to, let’s say, abandon it on the hillside for the crows, or quite possibly kill and eat it.

Or more likely make the mother kill, cook and serve her own offspring.

Yep. I’ve been angry about the second (speculative but still . . .) option for quite a while now. @#$*()@####!!!1!!!

Consider the totally nonspeculative fact that in the 1800s, some men in the USA were fathering slaves. And some men in the USA–and probably worldwide, and it’s probably still happening–were impregnating their wives so often that the wives died. Whereupon the widowers would quickly remarry and start the process all over again.

I’m way past the stage where I’m captive wife or captive breeder material, but I DO know a lot of plants to forage. Some are good to eat, and some are really seriously not.

If an apocalypse should occur, your knowledge of herbs and such would be invaluable. You’d probably want to start a school for the rest of us handmaids.

TW: Speculative but still extreme violence

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

I was out weeding today and nibbling on oxalis as I went. It’s good in salads too.

When I was a hiker and running short on water, I’d often chew on some — good for dry mouth.

ChimericMind
ChimericMind

Sidenotes on conversations:

I always wondered why said odious internet personality would choose “Sargon of Akkad” as his moniker. Probably just because he read that said historical conqueror was one of the first major emperors in recorded world history and decided that was cool enough. But when you look into the background of the historical Sargon (as I’m sure the modern clown hasn’t), you find that he basically acquired his position by betraying and murdering his adoptive father and stealing the fledgling empire that had already been built for him rather than starting his own. And especially the name is hilarious, because that was not the real name of Emperor Sargon I, either– “Sargon” is just a corruption of the Mesopotamian phrase that essentially means “Totally the Legit King, I Swear.” Using it as an internet handle makes it even more sad.

Secondly, in terms of video games, I’ve mentioned I’m finally getting to play the later Persona games, and SPOILERS: the first true villain of Persona 4 (who may or may not be the real overall killer, I’m still getting through the game) feels like a perfect example of the kind of what people were talking about earlier: an internet troll and gamer whose association with retro-gaming makes the trip into his psyche deeply uncomfortable (in an intentionally well-crafted way) to those of us who like video games and aren’t like him. I seriously kept thinking of the shitstain who killed that homeless black man in New York trying to start RAHOWA a few months ago. I’ve seen other people on this forum say that they’re into the series, or at least this particular game, so you’ll know what I’m talking about. For others, if you’re good enough at RPGs to deal with the brutal difficulty on this one (and there is an easy mode at least), I super-recommend this game.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

ChimericMind : yes, he is pretty chilling. He may be a bit over-the-top, but he sure make a strong departure from the silly antic of the main group.

Robert Walker-Smith
Robert Walker-Smith

The last game I played at all regularly was Civilization. I always played with War turned off, so I wouldn’t have to build military equipment. That says something about what I find enjoyable recreation.

Someone on a discussion board commented that he would find a Civilization game without war boring. Maybe it’s the hobbit in me, but if perpetual peace is boring, sign me up.

@ChimericMind
Persona 4 is one of my favorites,
I’m currently playing Persona 5 and the premise of stealing peoples excuses for being terrible human beings thus causing them to confess their own crimes/abuses is pretty relevant these days.

IgnoreSandra
IgnoreSandra

On fantasy and fascism…

Star Wars’ Galactic Empire is what immediately occurs to me on this. Despite being explicitly constructed to emulate nazism, I have read multiple treatises on how the Empire are the “Good guys” of Star Wars, along with some wishy-washy “But the expanded universe isn’t canon” shit to avoid having to deal with folks like Ysanne Isard or the various other sins of the Galactic Empire.

But the reality is that, even before Disney, nothing the Empire has done in the expanded universe has been out of character for it. Glassing planets, multiple death stars, destroying the world that birthed the first death star, running penal colonies, arresting and torturing people for no reason, racism and slavery and misogyny, all these things fit the Empire the original three movies show us. So when I encounter someone specifically lionizing the Empire, my only conclusion is that they’re okay with all these things so long as it isn’t done to them.

So I can definitely see fantasy and fascism. There have always been americans who have secretly wanted america to be a fascist dictatorship, as long as its ruled by someone who murders the people they want murdered. And science fiction and fantasy have always been outlets for people of any political stripe who feel their politics aren’t permitted in society.

The same shit happens in the Eragon fanbase with their Empire, despite that Empire’s evil being fucking obvious.

Like, sometimes it’s fun to play the bad guys in a video game. To just be able to lash out and not care for the consequences. But that’s not the real world, and that’s a far cry away from actually thinking clear villains have the right of it.

Some fiction has poorly conceived villains who actually aren’t villains, but that isn’t the case with the Galactic Empire.

KindaSortaHarmless
KindaSortaHarmless

@IgnoreSandra

With Eragon, I think part of it was that the nominal good guys were boring, stereotypical, and fighting to restore an order that was still basically a military dictatorship ruled from dragon-back (If I recall rightly; it’s been a long time, and in any case I never finished the last book).

IgnoreSandra
IgnoreSandra

@KindaSortaHarmless

Yeah, that was part of it. Another is that the main character was basically a self-insert power fantasy. But even in that case, the Empire was demonstrably worse than the dragon fascists because one group preached restraint and control of power while the other fed peasants to magical monsters for a fleeting tactical advantage.

So there’s a cross here between a poorly constructed story and sympathizing with fascists.

Interestingly, Star Wars can be read as a plucky band of rebels attempting to replace a dictatorship with a monarchy – hence, Princess Leia. Even though the Empire dissolved its senate and swept the Republic away, nowhere in the films does it say the rebels are trying to restore the republic. It kinda depends on exactly what hairs you’re willing to split and how far you’re willing to guess.

Z&T
Z&T

Society isn’t going to collapse, is the thing. And the hope that this might happen, and to try to come up with plans for it – yes with this fantasy of theirs they have gone too far.

On this idea in particular they have over indulged in fantastical thinking because it isn’t going to happen. Those with money have too much to lose.

And even in the event of large natural disaster, others will come to help and people will be relocated.

Large scale war? Nukes? They can’t just start firing nukes, which have sat unused, the electrical systems are degraded and they’d have to be essentially rebuilt. Increases in defense spending by various parties may rectify this, but it will take a few years.

And say you were hit by a nuke – you’re dead. Urban area? Any targeted area? Dead. Close to – dead of radiation in a few days.

Those in outlying areas who do survive – are going to make use of what they can find. And try to get things back up and running again. And others will find them.

And civilization would come back to close to what it was. Like people are going to revert to being cavemen? LOL NO. Or what, it’s going to suddenly become like a Renn Faire?

When your power fails, do you get the sudden urge to go club your neighbors and roast them over an open fire? Do you have any dry wood stockpiled for such an event? Best get cracking on that. And you’ll need one of those huge black metal pots for cooking the people over the fire, in the true cannibal way.

They haven’t thought any of this through at all. All they think of is – slave women.

In any case, civilization is not going to collapse so why bother wasting your time thinking about this?

It’s a fantasy that might yield slave women. That’s what it boils down to. But it isn’t going to happen. That’s the disturbing and sad part about this to me. What a waste of time to think about.

Anything based off of bull shit (imminent collapse of civilization fear mongering) is probably not a wise way to spend time thinking and ruminating about.

Katz

Or what, it’s going to suddenly become like a Renn Faire?

I certainly hope so. Huzzah!

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

@katz

I need to do this to my Segway!

Falconer
Falconer

@IgnoreSandra, I was gonna argue but you’re right, the movies never use the title “Alliance to Restore the Republic.”

I don’t play 40K, but the closest I have seen a tabletop product come to apologizing for fascism is Rifts, which bends over backwards to make it clear that the Coalition Deadboys have been lied to all their lives, and that despite the rhetoric of Emperor Karl, out in the field the CS will sometimes live and let live if the DBs aren’t hurting anyone. “CS sergeant works with the player characters while his green lieutenant fumes, and the Deadboys choose sides” is like a cliché by now.

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

@Schnookums Von Fancypants:

Vonnegut is a smart guy like that, which isn’t surprising given work like Slaughterhouse Five and Sirens of Titan.

@ChimericMind:

Other than his British accent, naming himself after a historical figure is a way of giving himself credibility to those who don’t know any better.

I’ve noticed a lot of people on the Alt-Right, like Stefan Molyneux, have a weird fetish for the Roman Empire. There’s a tendency to misinterpret various events within its history in order to “prove” their ideology correct in some form or another. Nevermind that it was an entirely different culture from our own and the attitudes they had about governance and economics can’t be adequately equated to any modern sentiments, without massive liberties being taken. It’s rather telling these individuals either don’t correctly read their sources or that their sources were already rife with presentism as is.

JS
JS

Donald Trump would like to remind us (again) that he won the state of Wisconsin mainly because of Republican “big data” tactics.

How did that go… Generals are always ready to win the previous war. This President is still fighting the previous war.

He’s attempting to distract people from calling Senators and Reps about health care, and whatever else, by being “provocative”. And he’s basically an internet troll in real life, complete with sockpuppetry and logic fails.

Zemyla
Zemyla

All the 40K factions are terrible people, but I like orks because they are extremely straightforward. You always know where you stand with them. They live to fight and they fight to live, and they’re the only faction in the galaxy that is actually having fun.

History Nerd
History Nerd

Creators of Warhammer 40K creators intended the Imperium of Man to be a satire of fascism. They were influenced by left-anarchist SF and fantasy author Michael Moorcock, whose work often mocked the use of fascist themes in SF and fantasy. The Tau are a satire of authoritarian left-wing regimes like the Soviet Union.

@Zemyla I’m the grim darkness of the 41st millennium there is only war,
but for da orkz warz is da best fun da orkz culda asked for.

@History Nerd
I find it funny that when the space communists were added to 40k they managed to still be an improvement over the imperium,

Imperium on non humans: “SUFFER NOT THE XENOS TO LIVE!”
Tau to non Tau: “Just stay in your cast and obey the Etherials like the rest of us.”

They made them darker in later editions but they have an Imperium apologist running things now.

Katz
Steampunked
Steampunked

On the whole nerdy history breakdown thing…a friend of mine who is a euro-medieval scholar always finds these discussions a bit wacky since May-December marriages were a thing both ways.

That is, you’d get older women marrying much younger men. Frequently.

The thing is that work in a low-tech, high-hunger environment is dangerous. Equipment fails. A piece of wood flies up into a face and blinds someone. Sores putrefy, and infections kill. Then you end up with a dead husband – but a woman who has survived childbirth and is a good investment for a younger man. She’s likely to give you living children, and she can teach you to manage a household because she has that skillset. And that skillset helps keep you alive – preserving food and working out how much flour you need for winter, those are valuable skills.

The converse happens too – women died in childbirth, and women’s work can easily kill. So blended families were really common, and that kind of thing leads to the stepmother-stepfather trope in fairytales. It’s not uncommon to marry into a household having to raise the children of the previous wife or husband, but given a more cutthroat life, you prioritise your own.

I always wonder how these guys cope with the fact you’re often not marrying ‘a woman’ – you’re marrying a family. You’re tossing up skill sets and land acquisition, perhaps a more lenient governor or access to a better behaved protective militia who can help against bandits. It always makes me wince how easy they think life must be under these circumstances, how simple the decisions are.

@Katz
Ok I laughed at that harder then it should have made me.

JS
JS

Happy little orkz in a happy little forest. Who never make mistakez, just happy little huge explosive accidentz.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@ParadoxicalIntention

No kidding. I don’t understand all the doomsday preppers who are busy investing in bitcoin. Like, even if the blockchain, backup files, and Luno exchange didn’t get destroyed by an EMP or grid collapse, the average survivor isn’t going to understand cryptocurrencies, let alone have a digital wallet. They just want to eat. The value of bitcoin will probably plummet quickly after a disaster. As systems collapse, people turn to tangible assets for security.

At least paper currency can be used to start a fire.

There’s a humanitarian aspect to caring for the women

These underside-of-a-log dwellers are so goddamn baffling.

1) MGTOWs praise civilization to the skies (because MEN/FIRMLY ERECT SKYSCRAPERS), but also desperately want it to end.

2) MGTOWs talk constantly about the “animal nature” of feeeeemales and suggest they should be domesticated and subjugated just like livestock. And then they post this sort of bullshit, where they advocate reducing all of humanity to an animalistic, red-in-tooth-and-claw state of being. If anyone needs to be trained and domesticated, it’s MGTOWs. The only motives they understand are blind instinctual rutting, reproductive competition, rage, and revenge. Altruism confuses them.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Steampunked

They don’t. Their idea of medieval life comes mostly from John Norman imitators.