advocacy of violence antifeminism atheism empathy deficit entitled babies irony alert MGTOW MGTOW of the Day misogyny racism reddit

Today’s MGTOW hero wants to bash women with a lead pipe, thinks Wonder Woman is overrated

Our boy also thinks the so-called “virgin” Mary was up to no good

By David Futrelle

Today’s MGTOW of the Day is a doozy, even by MGTOW standards. He truly has gone above and beyond the call of duty, by which I mean some of his opinions might cause you to literally throw up in your mouth a little.

I discovered him in the Men Going Their Own Way subreddit, in a thread discussing a Daily Mail piece attacking writer Clementine Ford for jokingly signing a book “have you killed any men today?”

Naturally, he and his fellow MGTOWs responded to this provocation with sweet, sweet reason.

ADDDDT 19 points 5 hours ago  I say bring it on. You really want warfare between the sexes I'm happy to oblige. Let's see how glib she is when a man is caving her face in with a lead pipe. Equality bitch! permalinkembedsavereportgive goldreply [–]realChebz 7 points 5 hours ago  You underestimate the power of thirst among white knights. They would just flog to female side the moment shit hits the fan and bum rush you. permalinkembedsaveparentreportgive goldreply [–]Trump_is_the_savior 3 points an hour ago  I've seen the type of person "white knights" are and I would be embarrassed to high hell if anyone of those neckbeards could kick my ass permalinkembedsaveparentreportgive goldreply [–]rebuildingMyself 8 points 5 hours ago  All you would have to do to win such a hypothetical war is cut the government-enforced pussy privileges out. I guarantee a lot of women would break ranks and suck/fuck their way out of any hardships. The only reason women TODAY act like they do is because of all the glass floors beneath them. The hardcore feminazis (read: unattractive bitter women) would be easy pickins after that permalinkembedunsaveparentreportgive goldreply [–]ADDDDT 4 points 5 hours ago  Domestic violence laws should be gutted. What ever happens in a private home between two adults is their business. Women would then have the choice of leaving or behaving like decent human beings. permalinkembedsaveparentreportgive goldreply [–]SJHammer 5 points 2 hours ago  Would probably encourage better behavior and women being more selective. permalinkembedsaveparentreportgive goldreply [–]kyledontcare 2 points an hour ago  Women don't understand how to behave like basic human beings. permalinkembedsaveparentreportgive goldreply [–]ADDDDT 2 points an hour ago  But they understand consequences. When you remove consequences there is nothing inhibiting their shitty nature.

After noticing ADDDDT’s central role in this thoughtful debate, I poked around a bit in his comment history. I learned that he has many other interesting opinions as well!

For example, he likes to fantasize about men getting so collectively mad about women that they decide to genocide them all:

He hopes that women will soon start dying of cancer en masse due to their allegedly excessive use of cell phones:

ADDDDT 2 points 23 hours ago I pray to my lord Jesus Christ that 10 years from now they discover increased contact with smart phones causes Cancer.

He thinks men have shown remarkable restraint when it comes to the whole murdering women in large numbers thing.

While he barely even thinks about race, he really hates it when white women have kids with black dudes.

No fatties!

He thinks the Wonder Woman movie is overrated, because vagina.

ADDDDT -5 points 9 days ago The critics have been falling all over themselves to praise this movie. I think the reason for that is pretty clear. permalinkembedsaveparentreportgive goldreply [–]EngelbertHerpaderp 5 points 9 days ago Yeah, it's a great film. permalinkembedsaveparentreportgive goldreply [–]ADDDDT -6 points 9 days ago The fact that you are deliberately avoiding the real reason only serves to reinforce my original point.

He has similar feelings about the Virgin Mary, or as he sees her, the “virgin” Mary.

ADDDDT[S] 1 point 23 days ago The lies of a woman created a cult that has resulted in endless conflict and the deaths of millions of people.

He thinks stalking laws are too darn strict!

ADDDDT 3 points 6 days ago Where I'm from they've already done it. In Minnesota they've managed to make the stalking laws so incredibly vague that it is actually a crime if you do or say something that makes them "feel" threatened or uncomfortable. The best part is the law used to say actions that would make any "reasonable" person feel threatened but apparently that was setting the bar too high so they removed it.

He also thinks the courts are biased against good men like him in custody hearings.

ADDDDT 0 points 1 day ago Joint legal custody is essentially meaningless. That's the bone that gets tossed to fathers because it amounts to almost nothing. Source: Myself after spending thousands of dollars in an attempt to keep my children from being legally kidnapped by their mother. And yes it has everything to do with the original point because THEY ARE THE ONES IN CONTROL OF THE CHILDREN. They have greater opportunity and incentive to emotionally and financially exploit their children. Single mothers are truly despicable human beings.

Alas, ladies, I regret to have to inform you that he is not interested in having sex with you.

ADDDDT 45 points 6 days ago I always remind myself of a woman I heard talking about having her period and diarrhea at the same time. I just picture what that toilet bowl must have looked like and I suddenly no longer want to fuck them.

Sorry, gals! I know how disappointed you must be.

Bina

@numerobis:

kupo and bina: let me guess. That day, you’re generally not particularly interested in sex. So your interests are aligned with those of the mgtow !

More like adverse to them. They seem to be awfully angry that so much of women’s lives has absolutely nothing to do with them, including certain bodily functions. And since yes, a bad period day is gonna leave one feeling decidedly unsexy (read: ill and in pain), they’re bound to take that as a personal affront. How DARE she have monthly cycles that sexually inconvenience her “owner”? Why are there no sammitches on the couch table? And where is that fuckin’ BEER?

ColeYote
ColeYote

And the only thing they downvoted was the one about Wonder Woman being overrated. Why do I use Reddit again?

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

“Women don’t understand how to behave like basic human beings”, says Reddit poster in the middle of a discussion about threatening, subjugating, and beating women.

These guys don’t even rise to the level of an Onion headline.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Sylvia Daniella Foxglove:

… like the Creationists everything they say is just regurgitated nonsense. Honestly they sound like four year olds. They view the whole world in this warped subjective viewpoint, and ignore even the most common uncontroversial facts if someone tells them to. It’s not even that fun to poke holes in their garbage views. Because they will never learn. They are incapable of it.

Pretty much an MRA version of ‘Morton’s Demon’. From Glenn Morton himself, an (at the time, at least) ex-creationist:

When I was a YEC, I had a demon that did similar things for me that Maxwell’s demon did for thermodynamics. Morton’s demon was a demon who sat at the gate of my sensory input apparatus and if and when he saw supportive evidence coming in, he opened the gate. But if he saw contradictory data coming in, he closed the gate. In this way, the demon allowed me to believe that I was right and to avoid any nasty contradictory data.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

Adding to the previous comment, another quote from Morton that seems apropos:

The demon is better than a set of rose colored glasses. The demon’s victim does not understand why everyone else doesn’t fall down and accept the victim’s views. After all, the world is thought to be as the victim sees it and the demon doesn’t let through the gate the knowledge that others don’t see the same thing. Because of this, the victim assumes that everyone else is biased, or holding those views so that they can keep their job, or, in an even more devious attack by my demon, they think that their opponents are actually demon possessed themselves or sons of Satan.

It’s pretty much a whole set of known cognitive biases setting up a feedback loop amongst themselves.

@Citizen Rat

They do? I’m so used to thinking in terms of 3.5E, cause that was about the last time I played. And I don’t have my books anymore cause my brother’s a dick. My concept was more along the lines of a character of another race who was found abandoned by a tribe of hobgoblins and raised by them, sort of a chink in the lazy old “Always evil” thing, but actually playing a goblinoid could be really interesting too.

I’d be doing it whether or not it made any mechanical sense at all, but the encouragement is nice, thanks <3 I'm one of THOSE girls, the ones who play characters instead of party roles.

I need to find a group. Most of the random ones seem to have not-great people in them, though. It'd probably help if I actively searched, so I think I'll start there. When I get more energy. And my work week ends.

KI+
KI+

A real philosopher, this guy.

Calls feminazis “unattractive bitter women” but I’m sure he and these dickheads he’s talking to are real lookers.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

@Redsilkphoenix, JS, Ray of Rays, Policy of Madness, & Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

RE: Mixing up the Biblical Marys. How embarrassing😡. I have next to no religious education (obviously). My parents suffered through Catholic high school in the 1950s, and they were determined their own children wouldn’t have to.

At least I know a little more than a certain cousin of mine. His first time in church, as a child, he asked his father “Who’s the lady holding the baby?”

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

@IgnoreSandra: I love your concept! Good luck finding a group to play with, I hope you find a great one.

I also love the idea of playing characters, and not filling group roles. I have a lot more fun when I’m not a healer or an archer or whatever to round out what the group needs.

Maybe one day I’ll build a character with everything optimised, but that seems like a lot of work, and I’m lazy. XD

@Rhuu

Honestly, fully optimizing a character is just a pain in the ass. I tend to do it in party-based video games because you need specialized roles on higher difficulties, plus it’s hard to play consistent characters for four separate people in, say, Wasteland 2. It’s easier in Divinity: Original Sin because the game mechanically encourages main characters having personalities and you only have two of them – the other two are companions with their own opinions. Plus the skill system in the latter game strongly encourages taking points in multiple disciplines.

But with a live GM, I see no reason to optimize at all. My characters are either strong or not, and the GM can either balance around their skills or not. If I don’t have a backstory reason for a character to have a skill, she doesn’t have that skill. Even if that leads to some skill points not being spent. And no, being a specific class doesn’t count as a backstory.

Some players enjoy optimization, and that’s fine. But if everyone went for total optimization, we’d have a party of Wizards, Sorcerers, and Clerics. Which might be interesting sometimes.

Citizen Rat
Citizen Rat

@IgnoreSandra @Rhuu

Thirded! Characters are much more fun to play than rules. I gravitate more towards high-Charisma support characters, so roleplay comes first, killing monsters a distant second.

roll20.net is a great tool for finding and playing with new groups. I highly recommend it, having used it myself to play with friends on different hemispheres.

Also, this ADDDDT should get eaten by goblins.

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

@IgnoreSandra:

I like your idea of having to justify the skills your character has with story reasons. I think that’s a cool limit to put on yourself, that makes you really think about how to apply various mechanics in creative ways.

My DM gave me this bow that is basically green lantern’s ring. It can shoot anything you want, assuming you can pass the wisdom saving throw. We were fighting this corrupted water elemental thing, and we managed to get rid of the corruption, but it was still mad. We didn’t want to fight it any more, because it was sad and hurt and confused. So my character used her green lantern bow to shoot out ‘The feeling of a hug’. With my +9 to my wisdom saving throw, I surely passed the DC.

The monster was calmed, and went back to their own dimension.

Ashe was really happy she could make someone feel better, because she is basically Mr. Peanut Butter from Bojack. (And I love playing her)

I worry about the bow, because it has basically no limits. I need to let other people do things too, or else it is no fun for anyone else to play. But Ashe, the character, has limits. She isn’t really very aggressive, and she would rather do something lighthearted than something really impressive or destructive.

I need to think more consciously about how I stat characters, and what skills I take, because it is a really interesting limit to put on yourself. Thanks for saying it so clearly!

@Citizen Rat: I think the next character I make is going to be a high Charisma character, just so I can talk to ALL THE THINGS and make ALL THE FRIENDS.

(Also steal everything, because I haven’t had a sticky fingered character in a long time, and I miss it so.)

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Apparently, menstrual blood is the most grossest thing on earth. You can spray your toilet bowl with runny shit, like I often do with my IBS, but it gets to a whole new level of gross when you add some blood splatter. A few days of that is enough to keep you filthy for the whole month!

IgnoreSandraMobile
IgnoreSandraMobile

@Rhuu & @Citizen Rat

I took a look at roll20. It should help scratch the itch. Maybe I’ll talk to some of my existing friends about it.

I was thinking of writing a long backstory – she was found abandoned by hobgoblins who raised her as their own, and told her her parents were killed by a silver dragon. She’s in the wrong body now, because this tribe worships nature instead of the gods (so, a tribe full of barbarians, rangers, and druids) so she fundamentally has two quests. Fix herself in her eyes with magic, and track down that dragon. It’d be interesting if the DM wound up making her pick one in the end. Say if only the dragon knew the right spell for her.

It’d justify a rather unique set of skills for a ranger, and make the later cross-class to ranger/wizard more logical.

The whole reason for skills thing is the best way I know to describe it. I can’t think of any logical reason somebody raised in the desert should have survival: snow, for instance. But a fighter who’s been everywhere in the service of multiple kings would probably have both, plus different kinds of knowledge skills.

The more I talk about this, the more I want to do it. Would probably have low strength, ehh dexterity and constitution, good wisdom and intelligence, and ehh charisma.

@Rhuu

Honestly, that bow sounds like a godzilla threshold thing. Probably best to have Ashe dislike using it and only use it when it looks like there’s no choice.

IgnoreSandraMobile
IgnoreSandraMobile

Another concept I had was a paladin designed to Fall and become a Bard or Sorceror. Someone raised in the cloister of their order, and finds the real world very much different.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Sandra

Of course, that’d require finding a gaming group that isn’t horrifically transmisogynistic.

It can happen; my last group (composed, at that time, entirely of cis men other than myself) were excellent on that front.Also there’s been a few groups locally I know of composed entirely of trans femmes.

@CitizenRat
Seconding Roll20. I ran a quite successful game there until it fell apart on the rocks of schedule conflicts.

@Rhuu

When I’m the GM, it’s not necessarily self-imposed at all.

One game I ran had a PC with no actual combat skills whatever, but such a huge reaction bonus he got effective automatic successes on social rolls.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Meh. It isn’t hard to come up with backstory for stats, or for most skills. I’m doing a let’s play of the Baldur’s Gate trilogy, and my sorcerer has STR 20. It wasn’t difficult to invent backstory for that. If you want to minimax (and I did – it’s a no-reload game and I need every last stat point) creating backstory to justify the minimaxing requires the barest minimum of creativity.

When I was a storyteller for original WOD games, I judged characters solely on stats, with no regard for whatever “clever” ways the players invented to justify their stats. If I saw a minimaxed character, it was rejected, flat. I got used to listening to players whine, but minimaxed characters destroy the fun of a game for both the other players and for me. So into the bin they went, 100% of the time, and I didn’t care about backstory one bit.

Citizen Rat
Citizen Rat

@Sandra: If you’re going for medium dex/con but high wis/int, you might consider focusing on ranged attacks or as a support wizard with lots of useful spells. Also, check the Unearthed Arcana articles in the WotC page. They gave the Ranger a much-needed upgrade.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

Heh. Currently playing a game here that’s sort of a super-spies game using D&D 5E with a single ‘operative’ class and a number of custom feats. We’re using Roll20 to track things, even though we’re all meeting in person.

(Unfortunately, while the Android Roll20 application works great on my tablet for handling the character sheet and die rolls, I can’t see the map with it. As they say in the description, it’s really an adjunct to the ‘virtual table top’, not something that completely implements it. And the Android web browser on my tablet can’t quite handle the map either.)

I’m running an ‘Artful Dodger’ character… high charisma, high dexterity, and a feat that gets me automatic advantage on deception rolls… she’s fun.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Policy of Madness:
Regarding the STR 20 sorcerer: back when I was involved in a Warhammer Fantasy game, one of our characters was built like that, an extremely strong/tough wizard. We used to call him ‘The Ultimate Wizard!’ which had to be said as if you were a WWE announcer. He was a bit of a jack-of-all-trades (which Warhammer Fantasy rules kind of encouraged), and the character was a bit obsessed with finding new spells. Almost killed us all by throwing a lightning bolt while we were standing knee-deep in our flooded basement.

Granted, I did something similar later in an Ars Magica game where I had a wizard with Giant’s Blood and a +6 Stamina. (Normal range for stats in Ars Magica runs from -3 to +3, with 0 being average. +6 is well into ‘stand there and watch in amusement as someone punches you’ territory.) She was a foundling, discovered still alive by sailors despite having been abandoned on an ice floe in the North Sea. This did involve deliberately handing the GM a potential plot hook in terms of who her parents actually were.

Backstories are at least half the fun of character generation.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Backstories are at least half the fun of character generation.

Oh, no question. I’ve built a lot of characters that I never played just to do backstory with them. My fav was a W:tA character, an Ahroun metis Fenrir with 5 Rage. He had the “short” flaw, and “forced transformation: homid when frenzied” and “short fuse.”

So, obviously he grew up taunted by the other werewolves and his reaction to that was … less than constructive. If you’re not familiar with the game, this combination of flaws and Rage means that he flies into a rage VERY easily, but shapeshifts automatically into a little person when he does. A ball of impotent fury and complexes.

Never played him, but always wanted to.

I always required players to have a compelling backstory, but never accepted justification-by-backstory as an excuse for combat monsters. Players can be ridiculous sometimes in building vampires who can only fight and nothing else. What fun is it running a game where the only way to engage the characters is to throw cannon fodder at them? What fun is it as a player to have to deal with that kind of character across the table? It was always dudes building these characters, btw, and they always played them as big dumb meatheads, and why in the fuck would that be fun for anyone else?

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@PoM

I always required players to have a compelling backstory,

I also require the players to work together to ensure that each PC has a preexisting connection of some sort to at least one other PC, unless there’s a very good reason why not.

Hypatia's Daughter
Hypatia's Daughter

Paradoxical Intention – Leader of the Deathclaw Damsels

As if some of those women aren’t fully capable of beating the shit out of you.

One day my hubby of 40+ years was teasing me while we were in the kitchen. I held up the butcher knife I was using and picked up the cast iron frying pan and told him (jokingly) “Honey, maybe the kitchen is NOT the best place to annoy me. It’s where I store my weapons.”

Let’s see – ADDDDT complains about stalking laws, DV laws, the failure of joint custody, bashing women with lead pipes and “eliminating women”.
Do you think there may be some relationship between his expressed ideas and the reason that he is divorced?

SciFiGeekForever
SciFiGeekForever

@Virgin Mary
It really is both sad and anger inducing when you hear about the fathers who murder over custody. Even more so when there are those that defend the actions who aren’t MRAs.

Things like that make me scream into a pillow every time someone claims men are biologically more logical and less emotional than those with lady brains. They all seem to be drawn to discussing Wonder Woman too. I had one man explain to me that it was biologically driven for little boys to not like Wonder Woman. He also told me that women are biologically driven to shop at Bath and Body Works. We are also biologically driven to shave our legs. He then said that said any societal pressure was really negligent because biology was the driving force. Biology is also why women avoid STEM fields or working on oil rigs. Because SCIENCE!!!

@Dalillama

Yeah. I just need to find the mental energy to really look. I keep being afraid of what I’ll find, but that’s not constructive at all.

@PoM

My whole concept of skills + backstory has nothing to do with assigning skills and then creating backstory for them. It’s more the other way around – writing the character’s story, her people’s story, then filling in their skills. It doesn’t always work perfectly, but it helps figure out who the character is. It works a lot better for pen and paper sessions, cause in a video game, the character must be this strong mechanically speaking or it’s curtains. But a DM can adjust difficulty in about a million ways based on the party composition, and players can do off-the-wall things most games simply cannot account for no matter their budget. Like shouting “Give peace a chance!” loudly enough the orcs listen. Or seduce the evil dragon into changing its ways.

Like, the character I’m thinking about would really benefit from a rank of Spellcraft at level one. But given the way I envision the peeps who raised her, that wouldn’t make a lick of sense. Better for her to approach magic the way a wary animal does.

There’s even a place for min-maxed characters – but that isn’t in general campaigns. It’s in the smash and grab, door kicking in style dungeon raids with a minimum of character and a maximum of violence.

In my games, there were some big dumb meatheads in games I both played in and GM’d. It was impossible to engage those characters in the plot. I mean it. I did a superhero game once that…really got off the rails, but one of the things I did was try to tie the plot around the characters instead of present the plot as a problem to be solved. This was one of the reasons the game fell apart and we never finished it. It got too complex for me.

But one dude played a big dumb meathead, and I could not engage him in anything except ultra-violence. We had a powerful gravity manipulator who could be engaged by politics, a variant of Supergirl who believed in justice, an interesting take on Batman who believed in love, a homebrew alien who’d cut herself off from her people to warn us of their invasion, a member of an alien-hunting special forces unit who’d fallen in love with the alien, a mercenary who’d decided there were more important things than money and was probably the most morally pure heroine of them all, and a big dumb meathead with swords and gatling guns who’d traded the ability to speak for a few extra character points. There was also a guy who focused mostly on combat, but also had incisive plot-related wit, and his character kept accepting problems in combat to avoid harm to allies or innocents.

Guess who simply could not have a session written around them.

That…is a really good house rule. Much better than “You all meet in a bar”. I am cribbing this.

@Citizen Rat

I was planning to do ranged attacks. I hadn’t considered how to do the wizard thing. I’ve never played a spellcaster outside a paladin before.

Her people don’t believe in using iron, so I was thinking of having her use wooden arrows. And obviously a quarterstaff or club. Less powerful, and might have to be custom-made depending on what the DM might say.

@All

I remember one character I once played. The game only lasted about five sessions, but it was good. Another superhero theme. Her name was Anna Fyre – she was homeless, though not very realistically since I didn’t understand what that really meant at the time. She had two powers: She could make very minor changes to things happening near here, and she could influence people’s thoughts. There’s obvious potential for being overpowered here – break blood vessels in people’s brains, and they die. But…

In that game, heroes had to select a code of conduct, and breaking it would have that hero become an enemy character. She had “Thou Shalt Not Kill”.

She did things like make people trip by smoothing the soles of their shoes, force people into submission by triggering their pain receptors, track people with her psychic senses, pretend to be a scared civilian hiding in the corner, break locks no one had the key for, and trick people into thinking their weapons were broken when they were just fine. She wound up in a relationship with another hero, and I lost her when a villain was about to kill him, and she severed the line holding the villain 22 stories above the ground. Not being completely alone anymore wound up being more important to her than being a heroine, and I’m fine with that ending to her story.

She also spent a lot of time being beaten up by people she couldn’t effectively evade or respond to, since her power was strictly in her mind.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Sandra

Her people don’t believe in using iron,

Iron, or metal? Cos you can do plenty with bronze, just at a somewhat higher cost (full body armour is probably rightout, but for reasons of cost, not feasibility )

so I was thinking of having her use wooden arrows.

Stone tips are gonna help a lot. Even bone will hold a better point than wood. Also consider slings as a possibility. Or spears/darts (small spears, not the barroom sort) propelled with an atlatl.

Spear? Macuahuitl? Stone mace?

I found in an advice column for GMs years ago and loved it.

My last game I did both; There was evil afoot in the town already, but I also added in stuff specifically appropriate to each character. I took advantage to lay false trails that weren’t red herrings, they were just part of a different plotline (E.g., they were very suspicious that one NPC was in league with the big bads because he was acting very suspicious, but that turned out to be because he was hiding hos true identity as an exiled faerie knight, and also the fact that some fo the dogs in his kennel were in fact a PCs family under his curse. Thry hadn’t worked out the second bit when it ended, and most of the party was working for him.) It did get very complex, but since it was very local, as lkng as I kept my notes on what each NPC was up to it worked out. Also as long as I remembered to write down the shit I made up on the spot when they did something unexpected so I’d remember next session who they were talking to, drinking with, and/or shooting at, and hopefully why. Also some retcons of information they hadn’t found yet.

Hypatia's Daughter
Hypatia's Daughter

SciFiGeekForever

But, let’s be honest. Anybody who says stuff like that doesn’t really care that women are driven to shave their legs or buy expensive bath salts.
They care – I mean, REALLY, REALLY care – that women are biologically driven to make sandwiches, clean toilets, care for children and submit to the greater force of masculine will whenever a man wants sex*. Or in other words, become co-operative domestic drones fulfilling male needs.
It’s just that saying this out loud sounds so shitty and sexist in this day & age that they use polite euphemisms.

* Many have commented that the PUA/MGTOW crowd can’t seem to figure out if women are oversexed sluts who enjoy sex or undersexed sluts who get nothing out of it.
I think a lot of them think that sex, for women, is merely a Pavlovian responsive reflex to a man’s sexual overture. Like the startle reflex when you hear a loud sound – you feel no like or dislike, pleasure or pain, but just a reflexive reaction you cannot control.

@Dalillama

Iron. That’s an excellent point with bronze. I don’t know how I feel about the concept of her people doing metalworking at all, but she could definitely seek out bronze once she learns the difference.

And this really isn’t the sort of character who wears armor, so no full-body armor is just fine.

Stone/bone tips also mean she could replenish her specialty weapons in the field with a piece of flint, a crafting skill, and some time. Which, if her people don’t settle down, logically she should have. Much like she should have a food-production related skill, since hunter-gatherer societies are an all-hands kind of deal. Atlatls are also an excellent idea, substantially better than bows in honesty. Well, Atlatls or spears intended for throwing.

Honestly, the backup melee weapon is probably going to be a stone-tipped spear. For the reach advantage. Although macuahuitls are also a good idea. This gets me thinking.

I was considering a tribe of hobgoblins who don’t do the settling down thing in the light of the Picts and Celts and Gauls, but why would they be that familiar? Could definitely draw more influences from the Aztec and Maya civilizations. Though I am white, so I’d need to be very careful about doing that respectfully.

Also some retcons of information they hadn’t found yet.

The GMs life. Got to constantly correct and control information they aren’t supposed to have yet so it makes sense in the light of what they do have.

I did much the same as you for my game – I kept everything in this one town, and it still got out of my control. Probably cause I kept bad notes. I remember things too well for my own good, so I get used to remembering always, so I forget to take notes, so everything falls apart. It’s a problem.

It was a weird superhero game. It started off with ridiculous parodies and sci-fi references and an obviously evil reporter, and it ended with alien invasions, orbital weapons stations, and all-out war between the city and the United States of America. I think I misjudged either my abilities as a GM or the kind of game my players wanted.

Unrelated:

I had to store a bunch of A-line maxi dresses in my size and a color I liked at work last night. I swear it just made me sad. I need to get a dress like that sometime.

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

@IgnoreSandra: That’s why I’m trying to use the bow for less serious things. My DM was really excited to give it to me, and he wants me to think up ridiculous ways to use it.

But you’re right, maybe the next time I fail a roll, Ashe is going to react badly. I have other cool bows. Also some sweet swords! I didn’t really want to be the distance character, actually. XD

@PoM: Re: min/maxing – I’m more thinking about how I would level up a character, or feats I would take, or whatever.

As an example, I have one character in a star wars game who is average on charisma type rolls, but who winds up needing to do all the talky-talking because she wound being the leader of our little Rebellion cell.

We’ve failed a bunch.

But, since she’s now practiced, it makes sense to buy the next die in lying. I think she’s spent some time talking with our resident smuggler, and learned a little bit about a poker face.

I’m not a fan of min/maxing, getting the super optimised build seems like less fun than having the messy results of poor stats. Games are a lot less fun for me when you’ve figured out a way to trick the mechanics and succeed with no effort. I recognise that some people like that, but I’m not a huge fan.

@Dalillama:

omg this is great. One of my favourite things was when a friend and I had characters that were best friends in the game, and then had a lot of stuff to RP about.

It was sort of a thing you did in the Dungeon World game. I think that’s a great house rule I’ll also snag. 😀

@all: I’m loving reading about all the different games people have been in! Thank you for sharing!

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Sandra

Regardless of if they settle or not, really.

I have a writeup I did of a culture of (mostly) orcs influenced heavily by Cossacks. The rode about on semi-domesticated war bison.

I was running it on Roll20, in text chat mode, so I had archives to refer to 🙂

I need to get a dress like that sometime.

You should, they’re great.

@Dalillama

Regardless of if they settle or not, really.

Yeah. Honestly, most adventurers should have some reason to actually survive. Even hardened mercenaries at one point were not mercenaries.

Plus, actually having things like “Crafting (Stoneworking)” allows for interesting ways to approach the stone wall between you and your destination, as opposed to just climbing it or blowing it up.

Hell, examining the cathedral to themselves the big bad is building might lead to something interesting. Like, say the stones themselves were clearly cut with a pressurized fluid, and there were a bunch of empty tanks that once held blood behind the villain’s house…and perhaps there’s some evil magic still remaining in the stones that could be brought out…

I had archives to refer to

Ah. I did not 🙂 That’s probably a lot of the reason, tbh. I really need to get into roll20. The text archive ALONE is an awesome innovation I severely need in my life.

Yes. I need a dress like that. But not this paycheck. This paycheck is for dying my hair blood red. Cause I can actually take that to work.

On stealing: I was cured of stealing when my first DM told me I had found both fake vomit and real vomit in a random person’s pockets. It really depends on how much your DM wants you not to own the world like you clearly deserve.

I used to daydream about playing a star wars roleplaying game. I never found others that wanted to. I actually made a sith lord and came up with a half-dozen campaign concepts I wanted to use.

I forget his name, but basically he’d appeared out of nowhere one day, took control of one world in a cluster of worlds so poor they don’t really have blasters or do much space flight – in star wars – super techno-industrialized that world up and was on a spree of conquering the sector, with the goal of isolating it all from the Republic and living like a goddamn king forever. He had these cool custom starships made from the useless crap the sector was abundant in, and since this was before Episode II, the Republic had no army to intervene.

There was another idea about a lost star system. It’s supposed to be there, but it isn’t. Go solve this, heroes.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Sandra

Yup. I’ve never been a fan of the ‘murder-hobo’ school of gaming; kinda defeats the purpose IMO.

That as well

@Dalillama

Murder-hobo is fine for some things. At one point, I was in a game where the GM was basically just running a war with two groups of PCs – one on each side. We were all soldiers and it was really focused on action.

I remember winning the decisive battle by actually thinking. See, I’d added some character to my generic soldier by saying he was originally from the enemy faction, but he and some of his unit had defected because they figured the other side was better. But they had still kept their old uniforms.

So during the decisive battle, when the enemy team leader PC was in a tank having an evil-gasm, I managed to get my character, with a rocket launcher, near the tank. He assumed I was an NPC on his side cause the GM was doing a fancy double-blind thing, and he kept that assumption right until I moved out of position, shouted our true identity, and then blowing his tank up.

Although…I defeated my own point, because the fact that I was actually playing a character is the entire reason I was able to pull that off. Talk about a circumstance bonus to disguise checks.

Kettle
Kettle

Well seeing as men routinely “cave women’s faces in” and then bawl in court about how they’re mentally ill and besides she said words to them, provoking them, I’d say domestic violence laws already aren’t worth a shit.