open thread

Open Thread for Personal Stuff: June 2017 Flexicat Edition

We all feel like this sometimes

An open thread for personal stuff. As always, no trolls, no Trump fans, no MRAs, etc.

Godzilla Roberts
Godzilla Roberts

\o So tired and living on disability sucks. Anyone willing to order a couple of gals a pizza or something? I dunno.

I’m really pissed about the Cosby mistrial. :/

Nequam
Nequam

It’s going to be over 100F here for the next week, so I’m in a low-energy mode despite working on a DIY multimeter kit.

kupo
kupo

I’m sick of interview prep and fed up with the technical interview process. Also fed up with my lead, who says something horribly biased at least once a week. But on the plus side, his interviews are apparently going well, so I might not have to put up with him much longer.

cornychips
cornychips

Got back home from a beautiful, serene, quiet and tropical excursion. I was in paradise. I’m so lucky to have been able to go.

Immediately when I got back to the city, it got fucking hot. Texas in August hot. And the traffic is shittier than I remember. And the news makes me cry (cosby and castile). Sometimes I want to go live in a little tent on a beach for the rest of my life. I could learn to make seagull soup! lol

@nequam

Its so hot. I have so much yardwork to do. I have zero desire to do anything. I just stare outside at the lawn….sipping my coffee….”yup, that lawn needs to be mowed!” And then I walk away. Its so hot.

I got nothing interesting to say. I’m just gritching. The heat pisses me off.

Swedish Sexual Bread
Swedish Sexual Bread

Not really much interesting for me, except that exams are coming up for me. This is my first semester in Fahrzeugtechnologie (lit. Vehicle technology) and I’m slightly nervous about it.

Godzilla Roberts
Godzilla Roberts

ugh and now realizing I cleaned so hard I have to pass out hard. Ahh, life with fibro. x__x Also choosing between cooking or cleaning to spend spoons on sucks so hard.

I’m going to grab some sleep. I hope everyone has an awesome afternoon. 🙂

Alan Robertshaw

It’s gloriously hot here. I actually had ice cream for breakfast; so @Elizabeth Regina’s earlier post made me smile a bit.

It was fruit ice cream though so that’s practically muesli.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I can’t tell if that cat’s forgotten how to cat or if it’s figured out exactly how to cat.

Ami
Ami

First time posting, so… hi, guys! Unsure if I’m actually creating an account??? But anyway, love reading this blog and sometimes I read the comments and think some of you are cool so here I am. Transfeminine nb, pan, and a huge nerd.

Aulma Frendzar Dèdd
Aulma Frendzar Dèdd

Heh…I visited my estetician today to get a much needed facial cleanse and I found out that her life is pretty much falling appart.

She found out her boyfriend has schizophrenia which he has been hiding for 2 and a half years and he refuses to get treatment. He risks losing her, his job and his friends but he’s really stubborn about not getting that treatment.

Her bestfriend who had breast cancer is now sick again with liver cancer. The doctor told her that she only has 20% chances of survival which of course is bad news.

Her beloved 14 y.o cat is also sick. She had little tumors in her mouth which got removed by surgery but she still has to get injections because they keep growing again. She has a hard time eating sometimes and considering her age, chances of healing are very small.

I feel so bad for her, I’m surprised she didn’t breakdown while telling me this.
Seeing her handle everything with calmness and grace really amazes me.

Viscaria the Cheese Hog
Viscaria the Cheese Hog

I know I have been weirdly cagey about what I am studying. If anyone is actually curious, I’m sure I can find a way to contact you off the main site. In any case, I have a week to pass this skill test at my school that is not in the city where I live or I’m back here in August and I just really, really want to be home with my person. Two months of summer school is enough. It’s made it impossible to get a summer job, plus I’m paying rent on a place up here, plus every month of school costs more money… I just want to have a bit of a break. Just a bit. At home. 😬

Edit: the test qualifies me for second year, which begins in September.

Aulma Frendzar Dèdd
Aulma Frendzar Dèdd

@cornychips

Hahahahah, you just summed up my approach to house cleaning.
Me: The floor is dirty, could use a nice session of vacuum cleaning.
Also me: *takes vacuum cleaner out, jumps on top of bed, googles pita bread recipes*

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

It’s my birthday this weekend, and it’s offset by Father’s Day, since I miss my dad, 4 years dead.

Ami
Ami

@cornychips:

The struggle is real. It gets worse when you have a dog that likes to “help”. What I do when I have the spoons is just blast some music, and let that help carry me.

@ vicky p

Oh commiserations; I do though send you my best wishes for your birthday.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Thank you, Alan. Mr. Parasol is being extra-loving this year because, as he puts it, last August he wasn’t sure I was going to have another birthday.

Aulma Frendzar Dèdd
Aulma Frendzar Dèdd

@Victorious Parasol I’m sorry to hear that. I hope you still manage to find a bit of happiness this weekend. 💖 Happy birthday 💖

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Welcome Ami!

Alan Robertshaw

Well it literally took people acting across three continents, but I finally got that bloody post up on Stormer. I’m looking forward to seeing what transpires.

I’ve just spent two days demonstrating my uselessness at tech stuff so unsurprisingly I can’t do that ‘do not link’ thing. If anyone knows how to, feel free…

Thanks to all who helped. You know who you are, and I’m eternally grateful.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

VP, both birthday wishes and sympathies.

kupo
kupo

@Alan

Here’s a do not link: https://donotlink.it/yPY0

Aulma Frendzar Dèdd
Aulma Frendzar Dèdd

@Alan are they taking off your post or what?

@ aulma

No, I’m just useless at tech stuff. Only just managed to log on there (with a lot of handholding from others)

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Hi Ami.

Hambeast, disorderly she-tornado and breaker of windows
Hambeast, disorderly she-tornado and breaker of windows

Vicky P – Fatherless Father’s Day fist bump. My b-day was last week, so I’m there with you in that, too. I’m really glad you made it to another birthday!

The day after my b-day, Husbeast and I went to our friend’s wake. He was such a Muppet fan and so, when they started playing “Rainbow Connection” on the karaoke, I broke down. But it was a great thing; I’ve never been to a wake before.

cornychips, ami, and Aulma – I would like to join your club! I hate Summer, the heat, housework, and yard work.

I’ve been working at getting better about doing housework, though. I’m a lot better at just doing whatever part of the job I’m able to without beating myself up about not finishing it all in one go. Bit by bit, things are getting cleaner. As opposed to nothing happening because I get too daunted at the sheer scale of the jobs that need doing.

Today, I’m going to get on the floor of my office and pick up dropped beads so vacuuming can happen, so there goes my excuse for not vacuuming in here!

Aulma Frendzar Dèdd
Aulma Frendzar Dèdd

@Alan ok. Waiting for action.
@Ami Hellow! 😶

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

Hi, Ami!

Hippielady (of the all powerful hair)
Hippielady (of the all powerful hair)

I just became a Certified Clinical Trauma Professional. One step closer to going into practice for myself.

KatieKitten420
KatieKitten420

Hi Ami! 😊

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

My job is shit, I’m going to a family reunion I really don’t wanna go to soon (@Big Head, I might be in your neck of the woods sometime. I’ll look out for the chibi character with the fro 😁), and I’m in a general state of personal and professional limbo. I know how to get out in the theoretical abstract, but ain’t got the energy or temperament to do so without crushing stress. Damn, I’m tired…

Yay, personal stuff!

Hello Ami, and welcome!

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

Congratulations, Hippielady!

Elizabeth Regina
Elizabeth Regina

@Vicky P Big internet hugs if you want them

@ Alan R You’re a bad example to us all – on a related note, do strawberry laces count as one of my 5-a-day?

Ooglyboggles

@Ami
Welcome!
@Hippielady (of the all powerful hair)
Congrats on being one step closer to your goals.
@Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Best of luck on the family reunion.
@VP
*Hugs

EDIT:
I just got back from my cousin’s college graduation lunch. It was nice, the whole family was there, and we had some dim sum. If things go his way he can finally land a job and be set. In other news, if this facemelting summer heat would stop I’d really appreciate it.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@Hambeast -fistbump-

Thank you, opposablethumbs, Elizabeth Regina, and Ooglyboggles.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

No news re: boss’ spouse, which is good news really, since bad news would be all over the place by now.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Oogly

I just got back from my cousin’s college graduation lunch

Sounds fun!

Best of luck on the family reunion

Thanks, fam 🙂

if this facemelting summer heat would stop I’d really appreciate it

Nthed

@ Elizabeth Regina

do strawberry laces count as one of my 5-a-day?

I count the fruit in Pimms, so I don’t see why not.

RosieLa
RosieLa

Dad’s birthday would have been yesterday, except that he’s dead. And father’s day is tomorrow.
I’m a grumpy, prickly, cactus at the moment.

Hambeast, disorderly she-tornado and breaker of windows
Hambeast, disorderly she-tornado and breaker of windows

Godzilla Roberts – Cooking wins every time for me, but I generally have to do *some* cleaning in the kitchen first because when I’m done with the cooking, I’m DONE and want to get on to the eating. I do dishes in the morning since I have to wash Catbeast’s stuff anyway.

Also, someone said muesli? I’ve gotten tired of toast in the morning and have started making muesli with rolled oats, chopped hazel nuts, and dried cherries with a bit of brown sugar. Such yum! Chopping the nuts is the pain-in-the-ass part, but so worth it!

ETA: RosieLa – Come and join Vicky P and me. Have a fist bump and a hug, if you want.

Ledasmom
Ledasmom

I have a nasty cold. Just had another one last month. This one is just in time to fuck with my four straight days off work. Surviving on diphenhydramine, naproxen, coffee, tissues with lotion and frozen cherries with yogurt.
On the plus side, don’t have to work while sick, and don’t have to use up PTO for a damn cold, and the big orange cat thinks this is awesome because he has a round-the-clock snuggle buddy.

Valentine
Valentine

I thought i just going to read for some time- but suddenly today i found out something. I dont want to share too much because my real face on here now. But i need to talk to one young relative of mine who is 11 years and is hurting herself. But i dont know how. I just told to send some message to her email adress and to ‘talk with her’. But i dont know what should i say. Supposed to be that i will make her feel better but i have no ideas how…Does anyone have any advise?

kupo
kupo

@Hambeast

Chopping the nuts is the pain-in-the-ass part, but so worth it!

My trick: I put the nuts in a plastic baggie, close it up, and use the kitchen mallet to break the nuts up. Easier than chopping, IMO. And much more satisfying. The plastic bag is to keep them from flying all over the place when you whack them.

@Valentine
I would start by asking her what’s going on, listen, don’t try to fix things, just acknowledge what she’s dealing with.

CleverForAGirl
CleverForAGirl

I’m just so tired, but things are actually looking up a bit.

My day tends to break down to watching my brother (He has angelman) working, cooking renal friendly meals, more working, being a supportive care partner when the Mr does his nightly dialysis hookup, then sleep, with time off being devoted to housework.

The Mr. *finally* realized that if he does some of the cooking and cleaning that Im a more pleasant person that has time to do fun stuff with him. (He’s on disability so I’m the only one working) I actually got day trips to sf and Oakland this week, plus some veg time. God I hope it lasts.

Mistyful
Mistyful

I rarely post here, but I’ve been coming for years and I love reading the comments you all make.

Kind of having a hard time lately.

I’ve been separated from my ex for about a year after being married over 15 years. He decided about a month ago to cut the support he’d been sending me, even though we had previously agreed on amount and duration (yes, and I feel so stupid for not getting it in writing, though I’m not sure he would have signed anything). I’m back in school, have about 3 years to go so I can a) get a job that my less-than-abled body can do, and b) make enough at that job to not live in perpetual poverty.

So now, on top of working full time and raising kids and taking a full load of classes (8 units during summer, 16 for regular semesters), I’m having to deal with actual divorce paperwork and stuff, knowing that it’s going to go to court rather than just be something we fill out and file and get done. Oh and we work together. And our kids are old enough to see everything that’s going on. And I suffer from major depressive disorder, but I’d been doing fairly well until he decided that he didn’t need to keep up his end of our agreement.

Now…now I just want to cry, and escape from reality. I’m drinking too much, eating too much, pushing my support network away. I miss my cat Misty (yeah I named myself after her…maybe it’s time to change my name, but then how will you all remember me?), who I had to give up when we split up, because the landlord doesn’t want any pets here.

And Father’s Day is coming up, and the last time I actually talked to my dad, he threatened to come to my town and punch me in the face. I don’t think I want to call him on Sunday, but I still feel like I should, if only to keep the peace with my mother.

I know that none of you know me. Maybe that’s why it’s easier to post this here, than to actually ask for help from people who will judge me and who I’ll have to continue to see regularly and be ashamed for being broken.

I’ve posted here before, but rarely get replies. Probably because I rarely post, or because my posts get delayed. I really hope I get a reply here though, because I feel extremely alone and I’m just…I’m not okay right now and could use a shoulder.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Mistyful
*hugs* offered. I’m sorry your ex is being so shitty to you, there’s no excuse for that bullshit.

@Clever
Yay for small improvements.

Ooglyboggles

@RosieLa
Condolences
@Ledasmom
Cold are never fun. At least you got an eager fuzzy cuddle buddy to spend time with.
@Valentine
Ask her what’s happening and listen. People in that situation tend to be very defensive if you start offering suggestions over hearing the whole story.
@CleverForAGirl
Hope you have a good time on your vacation!
@Mistyful
Your situation sounds like eight flavors of terrible, I don’t have the words. Your ex is awful human being, even though he knows what you’re going through, and instead of being sympathetic, he brings you even more problems. Hugs and sympathies if you wish for them. Feel free to post about your feelings and problems whenever you like, we’ll be here for you.

Buffalo Headroom (it doesn't have to make sense)

I’ve been reading the comic books of Alejandro Jodorowsky. Seriously you guys read The Incal, it’s fucking awesome.

CleverForAGirl
CleverForAGirl

@misty I wish the best for you and your babies, I hope the courts do right by you.

Hambeast, disorderly she-tornado and breaker of windows
Hambeast, disorderly she-tornado and breaker of windows

Kupo – I have one of those ‘slap chop’ type things from the 70’s that has a glass container. It’s not that hard, I’m just lazy, really.

Валя – Kupo’s advice is what I would have said, if I hadn’t been ninja’d.

1 2 3 4