announcements cerno lying liars paul elam self-promotion straw futrelle

Check out the profile of We Hunted the Mammoth in the New York Times today!

Please do not poke the mammoth with sharp sticks

By David Futrelle

So this little blog of mine (and yours!) got a nice writeup in the New York Times today by fellow Illinois writer Peter C. Baker. Check it out! Nice to see the Paper of Record take note of what we’re doing here.

Or old friend Mike Cernovich, quoted in the piece, has decided that you commenters here are a bunch of sock puppets. Which makes about as much sense as the rest of his nonsense, I guess. And dear old Paul Elam, whose idea of helping men consists of charging them $90 an hour to talk to his unqualified ass on Skype, sputters that what we do here is like making fun of cancer patients. Nah. It’s more like making fun of cancer itself.

Big thanks to Jaclyn Friedman for her kind comments in the piece.

And speaking of thanks, this seems like a good opportunity to once again offer my humble thanks to all the (extremely real) commenters on and supporters of WHTM for making this blog possible in the first place!

JS
JS

Grrr… edit window fails to embed youtube, but doing it all at once and not editting ever works.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Echo chambers should be reserved for the important research into whether ducks’ quacks echo.

Button
Button

Inb4 people claiming that three of us expressing our surprise that David is >50 proves that we’re sockpuppets.

It couldn’t possibly be that I’m an ageist piece of shit* who expects people who make their livings online to be in their mid thirties at the oldest. No, I must be a sock that David wears on his hand while stroking his… ego.

* used facetiously, plz save any sympathy for someone who needs it

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

Not directed at you, just an observation: Ageism is so fucking gross. It is literally some Nazi Germany ideology.

No, we don’t all have to be perennially young, strong, athletic, sexually vigorous superbeings, sorry.

There is absolutely no reason for this whatsoever.

mrex
mrex

So, Mikey knows we’re all socks, even though he totally doesn’t read the blog guys, because it is so boring. But how WOULD Mikey know this about us without reading, unless he is really……………………………..another sock of David Futrelle!

The plot thickens my fellow socks.

Anne
Anne

Congrats David. And huge thanks for your blog. I admire you for being able to read through all that ….. every day. Brightest blessings to you πŸ™‚

Boogerghost
Boogerghost

Wooooo, nice, David!!

Viscaria the Cheese Hog
Viscaria the Cheese Hog

While we are passing out congratulations I must congratulate all of you, like I do every day, on knowing that there are misogynists on the internet. Bravo.

@Viscaria

Why, thank you! I really don’t know what to say!

I’d like to thank YOU for enabling me to realize Internet misogyny exists! Without you guys I would never have achieved my success!

Let’s hear it for Viscaria! Hip, hip, HURRAH!

PaganReader - Misandrist Spinster

Can I be the blue and green argyle ones?
Dave, thank you for making my sock one that likes to post cute animals for people here. πŸ˜†πŸ˜‡

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@PaganReader – Misandrist Spinster

Can I be the blue and green argyle ones?

I love how David has ‘you’ posting itty bitty kitty pics lately πŸ˜€ Insofar as I can love anything, being a sock.

*Runs away chanting “I’m a sock, you’re a sock, everyone’s a sock sock”*

Banananana dakry: Fat, Short-Haired, and Deranged
Banananana dakry: Fat, Short-Haired, and Deranged

We are all David Futrelle.

Viscaria the Cheese Hog
Viscaria the Cheese Hog

@Francesca

comment image

(I’m done with gifs now, I promise.)

Alana
Alana

Did he really just compare men who can’t get laid because there busy acting like jerks on the internet to cancer paitants? Is that what happened there? XD

Schnookums Von Fancypants, not a Yeti or a Chupacabra
Schnookums Von Fancypants, not a Yeti or a Chupacabra

I am furious that I’ve been accused of being a sock puppet. There is *no* way that David looks half as sexy as me when dressed up as a parakeet. I should make that the subject of my next Budrigar Video on youtube.

Valentine

I admit it – im the sock account! I am david actually. Also i made from socks. And in my brain is one sock who operates everything.

@Valentine

And in my brain is one sock who operates everything.

Huh, I think I have one too.

That must be why I make so many poor life choices. πŸ˜€ It’s not my fault, I literally have a sock for a brain, not an actual functioning brain. It all makes sense now!

Valentine

Fran, i only hope your sock is not dirty ))) but in my experience socks are very sensible…my sock always tells me correctly…has your sock gone rouge? Or maybe it not a sock at all! Maybe it is stockings.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I hate it when my socks get holes in the big toe. It happens so often.

@Valentine

For some reason my sock decided I should be a gorgeous trash fire of an individual, leaving me powerless to watch as I do the exact opposite of what should actually be done very single time, and just indulge in self destructive and outright dumb behavior. It’s amazing.

For what it’s worth, I blame nobody but myself and my sock for myself being a trash fire. That was all on me.

Why is my sock like this? It is a mystery.

Also, it may actually have been a stocking all along, which would mean my problems are, once again, amusingly enough the product of my inability to just recognize what I really want to do and should be doing, but am idiotically choosing to ignore.

Valentine

Looks like your operator is definately stockings. They are always very excited but really it seems like they not having any plan, but secretly they do. Your stockings would never betray you ))))

I have no idea what i saying. Is it late for you? For me 0235…

@Valentine

It is here, yes, and I am doing a bad life choice and not sleeping. I will probably sleep about five hours total. I did say I was notoriously good at managing to make terrible life choices, eh? You’re witnessing it in action! Behold! πŸ˜€

I will probably sleep about three hours today. Insomnia is an old friend of mine.

One day I will tell you the stories of when I stayed up for over three days when you are less tired. I may probably have also done myself interminable damage to my mind by doing that. I am totally focused right now.

I like to think that if you assigned me to a sniper team in some military outfit, I’d be able to track your target for days without getting tired.

Don’t feel bad if you have to go sleep. I will go find out what wackiness Drumpf and his merry band of thieves got up to.

Or I will take two of these sleeping tablets I got off the local Invisible Hand Of The United States Free Market. My insomnia is so bad they barely have an effect, but I sure as hell won’t take more than two. Overdosing on sleeping medication never has a happy end and it’s not a pleasant story for anyone.

Valentine

For me i am not tired now – i working. Maybe i should not be on my phone, i bring on the brigde for the good internet and for play music. When it night and all crew but me and watchkeeper are sleeping it becomes better. Not best because it can be never. We on this thing called FBB, which so slow (( and then sometimes have v-sat which little bit less slow. But all slow.

I working normally 0000 to 0400 then wake up 0940 then work to 1600 or 1700 if i really busy.

But i understand too what you say about insomnia. I never had 3 days long before. I struggling sleeping even if i work very hard. Usually i just sleep maybe 2100 to 2340 and then 0440 to 0940. But obviously im im not a robot so no one can sleep directly.

You have this experience where you cant remember if what you thinking was really happen or if it was a dream? My dreams sometimes very boring and if i only sleep for short time i think is it real or is it not )))) i think this one coming when you not getting enough sleep.

@Valentine

That’s cool, what kind of music do you like?

I know just what you mean.

Sometimes I have dreams about driving down a road nearby my house. That’s all. Nothing happens. It’s just me alone on a nighttime drive.

And it feels like I really did just drive around aimlessly.

I also dream about shopping at supermarkets.

Honestly, I don’t mind so much. I used to get horrible nightmares all the time once, until the Invisible Hand Of The United States Free Market gave me drugs to blunt myself with.

Valentine

I like russian music )) and english rock and roll. I also like rap music but on russian because i cant understand when it on english – it too fast. My favourite band though this one called Rotfront – they german but lead singer is from ukraine.

You sound almost like you describe my dreams! I had one dream where i went to captain’s cabin and he eating cake. Even now i dont 100% know if it really happen…and also like you i having boring or very scarey or strange. Is it easy in USA to get medicines for everything?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Valentine

I like russian music

I’m a bit of a fan of Russkaja; don’t know if you’re familiar with them.

Also into Leningrad Cowboys. Did some work for them back in my roadie days. They used the bring the entire Red Army orchestra with them as back up group.

@Valentine

Yes! The Invisible Hand Of The United States Free Market gives you everything you need.

You don’t have to have a prescription or anything. The Invisible Hand does its magic all by itself.

It is truly amazing. Late stage capitalism at it’s finest.

We don’t have good infrastructure or health care, water is undrinkable in some parts, but you can get all the drugs you could ever want, any time you like, and numb yourself to the existential horror of being an underprivileged lower class citizen.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

Congratulations, David, on the article. Internet hugs (as required) for handling the inevitable uptick in trolls as a result.

I’m a little confused by the “echo chamber” comment. Couldn’t it be levelled at any website dedicated to discussion of one topic? Terry Pratchett fan websites are an echo chamber of people who agree that Pterry is cool, knitting websites are bursting at the seams with people who spend time knitting… so why is it noteworthy or surprising that a site dedicated to mocking online misogyny has a lot of commenters who think misogyny should be mocked? That said, the best of such sites engage in plenty of off-topic conversations and healthy debate. WHTM is an exemplar of this (quick diversion to dictionary to check that means what I think it means; it does, good), I suspect because of David’s excellent comments policy and because the community not only abides by it and self-polices, but does so in a generally non-judgmental and kind way where commenters seem to be genuine.

I came for the mockery and stayed for the education (on both related and very unrelated matters), the sense of community and the pictures of cats.

And, whilst I’ve been Ninja’d a thousand times over on this point, well done David (by which I mean me) for the intricate and complex use of sock puppets. It must take a ridiculous amount of research and imagination; do you (again, meaning I) not need sleep?

Congratulations, all (or just David, depending on the sock puppet thing)!

Valentine

Alan forgive me but Russkaja is german. Just lead singer is russian or speaking russian as first language. And also they market for german people, you can see from translation in song like ‘Raz Dwa Tri’. See they using ‘w’ here for Π² sound? Really no one in russia listening this band i dont think. They playing for the stereotypes.

Fran you really not needing perscribtion for anything? I dont know if that is good or bad. Seems maybe bad. Especially since you mention sleeping pills which is quite dangerous. I read VDR transcript from El Faro, she sank last year in Hurricane Joaquim. Second officer there was taking sleeping pills. Her whole crew there on that ship was americans apart from i think 3 or 4 polish. I very sad to say, no one survived.

occasional reader
occasional reader

Hello.

Congratulation, David !

I do not know if i am a sock puppet. Or maybe the one manipulating me does not want me to know ? Or maybe someone is sock puppeting the one manipulating me ? Or maybe… ad lib. Kind of inception, i guess ?
I wonder if there are stocking or tight puppets.
And i agree with the whole hole in the sock problem. I do not know if it is a general tendancy, but as years go along, socks seem to be more and more fragile (and shoes too) and last less and less long. Heel, toes, sole are quick to become holey. I wonder if it is a problem of shoes or foot morphology ? Or maybe they just do not bother to make good strong socks anymore ?

Have a nice day.

@Valentine

Personally, I think it’s good because we can do anything we want within reason, provided you have the capability of buying things on the black market.

However, I agree that it is incredibly dangerous. Let me let you into a secret about the USA: they want you to die here. Everything is set up so you can die very easily. The mortality rate in America is far higher than it should be for an advanced global superpower.

If you die, you make room for another consumer. Nobody cares and our system is set up specifically to make people die. Death and blood oils the U.S. economic machine.

I am not surprised that the doomed vessel you mentioned was crewed by Americans who were well blotto on drugs. It’s more or less the American Way. I was smiling to myself and thinking how totally American the crew of that vessel sounds.

I suppose we probably have a reputation as being likely to get people killed at sea due to ineptitude, drugs, or both.

ETA:

Our money should not say ‘In God We Trust’, it should say “I hope you die quickly”. That’s America for you.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ fran

That’s America for you

Scottish money literally tries to pick a fight. That’s Scotland for you. πŸ™‚

ETA: Translates as “No one has a go at me and gets away with it”.

Valentine

Well of course every country has black market i just thinking very strange in america you can speak easily to doctor for medicine. But then if you just purchasing from black market then that is different.

On El Faro second officer was female there. Also one stewardess. I dont think that sleeping pills were any reason for vessel to sink, she was going through the tropical storm and she old from 1975 (this quite old for ships now, my ship only from 2002 and oldest i sail on from 1999). Investigation still ongoing by NOAA but i think drugs will not be important in this. But company that was operating el faro definately will take some blame – they putting pressure on captain and he make the poor descisons and then vessel gets lost. I cant remember what this shipping company is called. But they american. But trust, for amercian sailors their conditons much better than our because they have strong unions and can only go on us flag vessel. Company called Tote i think.

I do not really know what reputation American sailors having. I never work with them. But American sailors not maintian their ships – they go into port and others come and make this. Or this is what i hear. We maintain our ship by ourself – she little bit rusty now because we have dry dock next year but still she look much better than any Us flag vessel you can see.

@Sir Alan

To quote Orwell (poorly), as I write this, highly intelligent, accredited professional men are trying to kill me.

Seriously, they are in the Capitol taking away our healthcare and banning the press from asking questions about it.

If by some chance you defy the odds and survive the generally hazardous nature of American life, have no fear: our Republican politicians will do their damndest to try to kill you.

The U.S. is basically a very large death cult. We have made it so that complete strangers can take it upon themselves to end your life.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ fran

One of the most bewildering, and disturbing, things to me is when my American friends (you included of course) tell me about their experiences of your health care system. One of my friends has the best insurance you can get, yet she still had to pay an $8,000 excess after a breast cancer scare. There was also an incident after a car crash where she declined going to the hospital for a check up because she’d be charged for the ambulance ride.

Were you around for our discussion of government costs of health care? What got me was that the US govt actually pays more than the UK and Canada per person for health care. I just don’t understand it.

Collateral Thought
Collateral Thought

@ Valentine:

I like russian music ))

Me too! But the Russian music I like is classical (technically, mostly romantic). Borodin, Prokofiev, Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, and so on. My Russian is remedial at best so I don’t try to listen to anything with lyrics I can’t follow in a libretto.

Collateral Thought
Collateral Thought

@ Fran:

You’re not wrong about how conservatives view the way America ought to operate. I’m in California so I’m pretty optimistic about how we can all work together, despite those bastards. We’re going to have universal medical care here in the next few years! And that’ll be a proving ground for other states.

Also: sleep is necessary for survival and wellness. Please do get some, on your own terms, when you’re ready and able. Speaking as a fellow insomniac, 3 hours really isn’t enough for most of us, most of the time. Please do take care of yourself, however you define that. I’m not here to judge, but I do care.

KatieKitten420
KatieKitten420

@Fran, Alan
Sorry for the length of my essay as I said in the other thread I’m pretty stoned and it makes me even more verbose than normal
But if anyone is knows a lot about the drug market, it’s me. I’m 33, and I started smoking weed at 13. So I’ve been buying and occasionally selling drugs(to personal friends at school and such, I’ve never been a “corner boy”, or anything like that, it’s crazy dangerous)since my freshman year of high school. Before I went to rehab, in my early 20’s, I’d tried almost every drug that exists at least once. First it was just weed, but by 16 I was getting big into the rave scene(most of my friends were at least 18+my boyfriend was 19.)Back then, they were much more lax about carding, and I had a halfway decent fake ID. Drugs were an integral part of the rave scene, and easy to buy as candy. Ecstasy, acid, mushrooms, Special K(and occasionally coke if you could afford it)a 16 year old could buy in quantity enough to party constantly(every other day pretty much) then sell the rest to friends to earn enough for more drugs and a profit that seemed like a fortune to a 16 year old.

And in most late 90’s teen counterculture groups this was not at all unusual. In fact it’s seemed to me the majority of punks, ravers, goths, skaters, etc, I met indulged. The specific drugs differed between subcultures but they were almost always there. Then after my grandmother died I went down the rabbit hole. I was closer to her than I was to anyone else in my family and I was the person who took care of her along with her home attendant while diabetes completely ravaged her body. First, she lost her circulation in her limbs till she completely lost her mobility then it got even worse because some extremities, toes mostly at first were dying because the flesh wasn’t getting enough blood to stay alive and she had to get multiple amputations and it just got more and more horrific. She did not believe in suicide at all even in situations where you’re dying painfully. She was truly ready to go when she passed, but her death still utterly devastated me and I turned to harder drugs, mostly heroin. It was no harder to get when I decided I wanted it. I thought it would be but it wasn’t. Well I’m not going into detail past this part, it’s depressing but I eventually went to rehab and now I use drugs recreationally but not stupidly. I defer to my to my boyfriends opinion(we’ve been friends for two decades and been dating for eight and a half years. He knows me best)on how much is too much and I’m much less self destructive on purpose than I was then.

TL-DR: I only really know about New York City but buying drugs in New York City is as easy as buying almost anything else as long as you know where to go and is very easy to find someone who will show you where to go. I was a naive teenager and was able to get whatever my little mind could think of. I’m sure no even halfway intelligent adult would have any trouble getting whatever they wanted.

The other fucked-up thing is the misinformation they give you in school about drugs like weed and mushrooms they say they can kill you and drive you crazy and all sorts of horror stories and then you try them and it’s nothing like that at all, it’s just a a pleasant time.

Especially at that age, when most people, definitely including me, are averse to authority figures and you’re young and ignorant, it makes you think they’re lying about all drugs including the worst ones like heroin and meth. At least that’s what it did to me and and a good portion of my friends at that time. If they were honest about the effects of drugs and what they did I think people would act more intelligently because they be properly informed.
As I’ve mentioned I’m a day-sleeper so I’m getting ready for bed I hope everyone has at least something pleasant in their day if they can’t have a lovely day all total. Good morning all! Happy WednesdayπŸ˜ƒ!

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ katiekitten

And good morning to you too! I don’t think I’ve said a proper hello to you yet (“Hello!”); but I’m really enjoying reading your posts. You have my sympathies where appropriate and hugs where needed.

Ah drugs. I was a bit of an early starter like yourself when it came to weed. I was lucky I suppose though that I had older friends who kept an eye on me during my formative youth as it were. Then I got involved in the music scene. Well, you can imagine what that was like. Having said that, when I entered the legal profession I didn’t exactly notice a drop off in the number of people taking drugs.

You really sound like you’ve got your head screwed on (as we say here) so I’m sure you’ll do fine. Hopefully we’ll be having further chats in future, so for now I’ll just say, you make sure you take care of yourself, and smoke a fat one for me.

RosieLa
RosieLa

I kind of don’t like how this article ignores trans-commentators, but anyway. Apparently Daves commentators are all women. Now my little lady brain is all confused!? Am I a sock!? A woman!? A Soman?! Ahhhhh….

Get me some pearls to clutch!

Wolverine's granddad (formerly Kevin)
Wolverine's granddad (formerly Kevin)

@RosieLa
Commenters all women/sock puppets eh ? Well those trolls probably spend too much time under their bridges.
Can I be a pair of hi – tech thermals ?

Carl Gordon Jenkins Gordon Jenkins
Carl Gordon Jenkins Gordon Jenkins

This is as good a time as any to personally thank David and all the other Davids (the exceptionally wonderful commenters) for what how now been years of teaching and helping me to be a better person.

Thanks for letting me lurk.
Sincerely,
a sock in moderation?

Carnation
Carnation

OK, so how *fucking funny* is it that Elam claims WHTM helps his “career”??

Hashtag Ravenclaw
Hashtag Ravenclaw

β€œHe’s basically our filter for looking at an eclipse,” said Jaclyn Friedman, a feminist writer and activist who relied on Futrelle and his site while assembling an early guide to the manosphere for The American Prospect, in 2013.

That’s very well put. It’s how I see this blog, too. I don’t have the resilience it takes to trudge through the filth of the manosphere all by myself. It depresses me and angers me too much and makes me feel like my IQ is going down minute by minute.

The filter of mockery and counter-arguments makes it more tolerable. Not tolerable as in more acceptable/less shocking, but easier to get through without the urge to throw my laptop out the window.

(Although there are times where, even with the filter, I must avert my eyes from the eclipse.)

@occasional

That not really what i mean but okay ))) also good to enjoy classical music. I mean like this:

And this:

And this:

If you like to enjoy something new ))

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

Congratulations, David, for the well-deserved attention from the New York Times.

Angry Since 11/09/2016
Angry Since 11/09/2016

Congrats, David. You deserve the positive attention. This place is a gem.Watch though, here will come the trolls because that article will make them seethe against WHTM.
P.S. I’m representing Davids cats because they are adorable.

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

Re: transwomen who read the Mammoth

I’ve heard some trans advocates say we are actually Just Women and should not preface ourselves by saying we’re Trans Women.

Some transpeople get really angry if you declare that you are trans. Apparently it’s not The Done Thing.

@Everyone, re: Fran sleeping

I passed out due to the sleeping tablets kicking in and got some rest. Sorry if you were wondering what happened to me.

@Katie

This is why we have to hang out together. I’d like you to check out my exotic Medicine Cabinet full of goodies and sample them.

Nothing wacky and life-threatening like black tar heroin or anything, but rare psychedelics like 2CB, 5-MeO-DIPT, DOB, and so on – compounds you don’t usually see floating around.

Concordantly, you can then show me what you’ve got. I’m sure you get rare shit us Long Islanders can’t get in this Goddessforsaken wilderness.

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Agent of the FemiNest Collective; Keeper of a Hell Toupee, and all-around Intergalactic Meanie

You all can be regular socks. I’d rather be a sock animal myself. They’re cuter:

Maaaaybe not technically a sock animal:

This one I may have to get the pattern for, since I have a bunch of socks that have a few too many holes in them to wear anymore:

Sporkey
Sporkey

LOL seriously again? I mean David you’ve been what, how many ferrets or cats or I don’t know – elephants? – in a David suit for how long? For some reason, they love leveling the accusation that everyone on this blog is a sock puppet. Is the Northern Hemisphere just beginning to warm up? Then it must be time to accuse David of having sock puppets on his blog.

They have to maintain the illusion that they’re winning after all.