announcements cerno lying liars paul elam self-promotion straw futrelle

Check out the profile of We Hunted the Mammoth in the New York Times today!

Please do not poke the mammoth with sharp sticks

By David Futrelle

So this little blog of mine (and yours!) got a nice writeup in the New York Times today by fellow Illinois writer Peter C. Baker. Check it out! Nice to see the Paper of Record take note of what we’re doing here.

Or old friend Mike Cernovich, quoted in the piece, has decided that you commenters here are a bunch of sock puppets. Which makes about as much sense as the rest of his nonsense, I guess. And dear old Paul Elam, whose idea of helping men consists of charging them $90 an hour to talk to his unqualified ass on Skype, sputters that what we do here is like making fun of cancer patients. Nah. It’s more like making fun of cancer itself.

Big thanks to Jaclyn Friedman for her kind comments in the piece.

And speaking of thanks, this seems like a good opportunity to once again offer my humble thanks to all the (extremely real) commenters on and supporters of WHTM for making this blog possible in the first place!

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Moggie
Moggie

CAST OFF THE SHOE! FOLLOW THE GOURD!

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

@Moggie:

I loves me a good Monty Python reference…kudos!

David and I are the same age! 🙂

‘It would be fair to criticize the site as an echo chamber: a place where almost everyone agrees that online misogyny is rampant and congratulates themselves for knowing so’

I don’t understand what ‘congratulate’ means here…people are congratulating themselves for being aware of online misogyny? That doesn’t strike me as something that deserves being congratulated for.

Citizen Rat
Citizen Rat

@guest

Apparently this is what the NTY thinks we do all day.
comment image

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

‘It would not be fair to criticize the site as an echo chamber: a place where almost everyone has experienced online misogyny and has each other’s back when standing up to it.’

FIFY.

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

The New York Times is Shitty, in case y’all didn’t know that already, by the way.

It’s slanted towards affluent, conservative Christian Cis-het white males.

ETA:

That’s not to say that I don’t recognize the magnitude of David’s accomplishments by being mentioned in the NYT, but I figured I’d outline why the article is written in such a gross way.

ETA2:

What I actually do:
comment image

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

How can we be an echo chamber if we argue over various and sundry?

Swedish Sexual Bread
Swedish Sexual Bread

@Fran
Yeah, I’d have hoped it would be obvious that the NYT isn’t particularly left wing at the latest after hiring a Climate change ‘skeptic’ to write an op-ed.
Also, in response to your image, this is what I actually do, particularly while reading troll posts:
comment image

I honestly wish I had the time to comment more regularly, particularly with troll debunking, but that’s just the life of a STEMlord. /s

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

@Swedish Sexual Bread

One of these days I’m gonna get a STEM degree and then the United States will finally treat me like a human being!

Fran was wrong about this, of course. She would never be treated like a human being under the racist, sexist, classist, imperialist US government, in spite of her academic credentials.

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

I like the NYT. It’s not a monolith.

Shrug.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

@PeeVee

I read the NYT a lot, actually. I hope you guys didn’t think I was saying to Stop Reading It just because I proclaimed it to be Shitty, I just didn’t want y’all to go into this with high expectations.

dreemr
dreemr

@Buttons (and others)

…I always figured David was in his 30s.

Me too! I am pleasantly surprised to find that David is only a year younger than moi. I guess there’s hope for me, yet!

Robin Lionheart

I may have just metaphorically watched a MGTOW head exploding today.

In Yahoo’s Answers’s Gender Studies section, there’s a user called Mick whose usual routine for the past month has been repeatedly asking if feminist women hate MGTOWs because they won’t catcall them.

Not today. Today he was spamming Yahoo Answers with a torrent of questions like:

• (4:58) “Why are hate propagandists like david futrelle allowed to spew hate?”
• (4:58) “How come some people don’t think we hunted the mammoth is a mesandrist hate site?”
• (5:03) “We hunted the mammoth is a feminist anti mgtow misandrist hate site. Why do some deny it?”

At least till the moderators cracked down. I suspect he may have heard the news.

Fran,

Nope, I didn’t take it that way. I wouldn’t stop reading it even if you had, just like I didn’t when The Orange Menace proclaimed it [whatever whimsical thing flitted across his brain that day] on Twitter.

I have been reading the NYT longer than you’ve been alive. Yep, I’m that old.

Robin,

Sounds like he’s an old friend of WHTM, that got his ass handed to him one too many times, here.

Buffalo Headroom (it doesn't have to make sense)

I started reading this blog after I was getting away from my anti-SJW phase. Definitely helped cement my already left-leaning politics even more and will proudly declare myself SJew White Knight Beta Cuck Supremo.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@PeeVee

Mr Dash, I presume?

dreemr
dreemr

@Robin Lionheart – that “feminists hate MGTOWs ’cause they don’t get catcalls from them!” line sounds suspiciously like our very own seagull-loving troll, Abungus (was that his name? something like that).

From a couple of weeks ago, said the same stupid thing.

NINJA’D by PeeVee!

Axe,

First person I thought of.

dreemr, I think they’re all the same guy; pictured in Axe’s photo, above.

Ellesar
Ellesar

I think that David’s (ie my) local knowledge of London is remarkable – he has created 2 socks (myself and Alan) who live/d in Hoxton. I/ David that is, would be hard pushed to name a small suburb on the edge of Chicago – even though David/ I claim to live there!

I think that makes sense.

Aulma Frendzar Dèdd
Aulma Frendzar Dèdd

@Francesca

The first time I read the article it didn’t seem bad but I went through it quickly. Now that I’ve read it for a second time I realize it’s kinda…meh.
The article is very sterile and not in a good way.
I feel like the writer tried to be as distant as possible from the topic and to give the most multi-faceted perspective on David and his blog. But he failed to do even that, the opinions on David and his blog are mostly from negative sources. And that’s a very important choice, the way you choose to present a person has a pretty high impact on the perception that people will have of him/her.
If you compare the way the NYT chose to depict David and the way The Atlantic chose to depict Richard Spencer then you’ll see that the Spencer guy was treated far better.
Oh well, bad publicity is still better than no publicity at all. 🙂

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

@PeeVee

Well, I should jolly well hope not!

I hate this thing nowadays, this authoritarian thing in which people command other people what websites they should read.

I give you leave to hit me on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper if I ever display this atrocious attitude.

@Aulma

That is precisely what I was attempting to express, yes. And I think it was Shitty of the NYT to do this, but whatever, I guess. Half a loaf is better than none, as my mother likes to say.

EJ (Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)
EJ (Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

Hey y’all, I just realised that Earth is an echo chamber. We all agree that breathing is a good thing, and congratulate each other for doing so.

@Axecalibur I’m the blue and grey ones in the bottom left corner, JSYK.

Fran:

Lol. That’s why I didn’t take it that way; because I knew you weren’t doing that.

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

@EJ-senpai

Hey, hey, did you just breathe? That was some good shit! Well done!
comment image

Pic related – I’m the little brown girl on the right, and you are on the left.

Fran throws confetti around.

Aulma Frendzar Dèdd
Aulma Frendzar Dèdd

@Francesca

Yeah It was shitty indeed. I’m sure the writer read the article before submitting it and I’m also sure he realised how bad it makes David look. A good journalist tries to give the best perspective of a subject no matter what.

Deathtothefilth
Deathtothefilth

Ah, classic projection. Since Cerny needs to sock to add to his pathetic reader count he assumed everyone else is as desperate for relevance as he is.

personalpest
personalpest

Congratulations to all the Davids on this momentous occasion! The article provides many priceless quotes, including:

“[David] claims to mock misogyny, but what he really does, in essence, is he mocks the pain of men that are really going through hard times. He might as well be on a cancer unit making fun of people for being sick.”

No, Paul, David isn’t mocking their pain; he’s mocking the bad choices they make in response to that pain–mistakes that are encouraged by you, Mike Cernovich, and all the other leaders of the Manosphere.

You stumbled on an appropriate metaphor, though; the Manospherian movement is a cancer on our culture. That makes you and your compatriots like the owners of tobacco companies and pollution-spewing factories; you benefit by victimizing vulnerable people, while seeing yourselves as outstanding citizens.

Bina

Suck my socks, Juicebro, I’m real. And I’m GORGEOUS.

mz emoji riesling
mz emoji riesling

As one of my (our?) newest socks, I must say I am delighted every time I (re-)read a thread and see all those witty comments. It’s so fresh, every time. (*swelling background music “Like a Virgin”) I also like that there’s a sub-set of socks that are fish–that always makes me happy. And, I have a whole backstory, should we ever need it, so I feel full and well rounded. For a sock.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Chessman was the one who said that catcalling thing. Whoever called it as that being a Mick Dash sock, congratulations!

ChimericMind
ChimericMind

@EJ: Actually, there are plenty of people that do not encourage others to continue breathing in this world, so I don’t know if that description is apt.

Of course, this is just one of the lazier staged arguments between Futrelle’s massive sockpuppet army. He’s so devious!

Lucrece the totally real commenter, no really, wait don't look behind that sofa!

“When I Google myself, his stuff shows up,” Cernovich added.

You Google yourself Cerny? How often? Do you also adjust your appearance after sneaking a look at yourself in every shop window as you walk past? BTW, we all see when people do that – you’re definitely not being as surreptitious as you think.

Myriad
Myriad

Congrats on the article, David.

I do hope you are looking after yourself after you go wading through that muck for all us socks. Thanks for doing what you do.

BritterSweet

Sorry, no sock here. I eated them all.

comment image

Lysistrata
Lysistrata

@Axecaliber:
Thx for the pic of group sox! (I do love group sox.)

David: congratulations! NYTimes is a good mention no matter how they write it. I think I’ll just donate again now before the rush.

Gijoel
Gijoel

Over the years, while poring through Futrelle’s posts for help with magazine articles about the manosphere, I have wondered what the site would look like, and what it might accomplish, if it made more of an effort, alongside its fact-finding and analysis, to speak directly to manosphere denizens.

Ugh, the old ‘why can’t you be nice to those people’ fallacy. News flash, they don’t care what you think. They just want you to shut up and agree with them.

Feral Crone
Feral Crone

Dead friends critique assumes a goal the author never intended.
This is an opinion piece. The objective is to argue a point.
There is no law of rhetoric that the author must give ‘the other side’ equal time.
Trumps success is a refusal to be reasonable. As is the suicidal GOP.
As are MGTOW.
Every one of the delicate darlings have the introspection and intellectual maturity of a goldfish.
Only their wants and needs matter.
Only their sperm can approach the sacredness of their desires.
As perfect, semi-divine rulers of the Gor Universe, an offense against them is a crime against all that is holy.
Only their words are good and bigly.
Monotheism girds their loins with a dogma that places them as God on earth.
That’s ending. Going the way of the Mayans.

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

Yeah, this kind of struck me; why didn’t the author go directly to the sources himself and coming up with his own analysis, instead of half-assedly cribbing off of David, while implying David should educate these guys better?

Here’s the answer: it’d look exactly the same, because these guys don’t want to learn. They think they already have the answers.

Hambeast, disorderly she-tornado and breaker of windows
Hambeast, disorderly she-tornado and breaker of windows

Congrats, David! No such thing as bad publicity, right?

guest – NO FAIR!! I’ve knitted that yarn into socks in purple and red (I even do my cuffs almost identically.) Okay then, I’ll just take the cream with rust, gray and yellow intarsia ones further up on the left.

Axe – Where’s the pic from? There are lots of lovely hand-knitted pairs in there!

This is my kinda thread, y’all! I love knitting socks.

Croquembouche, poorly-dressed vandal
Croquembouche, poorly-dressed vandal

Well, this sock here isn’t particularly bothered by the slightly condescending tone of the article.

I’m more miffed that David’s / our neat trick of generating actual blog revenue through page views and donations by him/ourself isn’t being recognised.

Also, how well does an echo chamber lined with socks function?

cripdyke
cripdyke

i am the loyal commenter. not the clone/sock put assemble by auto programming and i wanted to say that all of me on this tremendous website are the wonderful.

cripdyke
cripdyke

@croquembouche:

I are quite innovative with all of me working together to accomplish the greatness. Why more people do not see the genius of me?

cripdyke
cripdyke

The Yahoo Answers Gender Studies troll says:

Because the man that writes site is not on flat top mountains, but on my internet?

However I promise that if I ever visit flat top mountains as me, I will write the mesagynist internet sites.

But only reasonable small number of writing, because I am not a clone/sock that can auto program many writing in a row.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

Right on, David! And thank you for not “trying to educate MRAs” – the world does not need yet another site that’s all about them.

JS
JS

It’s only an echo chamber if you consider the fact that “alternative facts” and “misogynists are great” people tend to get shouted down for illogic, and/or gullibility.

My kind of echo chamber, TBH.

JS
JS

Sorry, couldn’t get that to embed