announcements cerno lying liars paul elam self-promotion straw futrelle

Check out the profile of We Hunted the Mammoth in the New York Times today!

Please do not poke the mammoth with sharp sticks

By David Futrelle

So this little blog of mine (and yours!) got a nice writeup in the New York Times today by fellow Illinois writer Peter C. Baker. Check it out! Nice to see the Paper of Record take note of what we’re doing here.

Or old friend Mike Cernovich, quoted in the piece, has decided that you commenters here are a bunch of sock puppets. Which makes about as much sense as the rest of his nonsense, I guess. And dear old Paul Elam, whose idea of helping men consists of charging them $90 an hour to talk to his unqualified ass on Skype, sputters that what we do here is like making fun of cancer patients. Nah. It’s more like making fun of cancer itself.

Big thanks to Jaclyn Friedman for her kind comments in the piece.

And speaking of thanks, this seems like a good opportunity to once again offer my humble thanks to all the (extremely real) commenters on and supporters of WHTM for making this blog possible in the first place!

eataTREE
eataTREE

Great article, although OF COURSE the NYT has a liberal-bashing quota to achieve. Like, gee, Dave, why are you pointing and laughing at the cretinous troglodytes instead of opening a mission to enlighten those who have chosen to make “unenlightened” kinda the core facet of their identity?

Still. NYT. Impressive. Have you practiced mentioning it offhandedly yet? “Me? Oh, I run this little blog. The Times did a piece about it once.” 😀

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat
Godzilla Roberts
Godzilla Roberts

Wooo! If I’m a sock puppet I get to pick the prettiest sock to make my puppet body out of.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I often see manospherians claim that David is a sock for everyone here. I’d love to see some proof. A lot of us comment under the same names we use elsewhere online. A lot of us have our own blogs or have our names connected to Facebook and Twitter accounts. I just don’t think there are enough hours in the day for him to construct all these different online identities. There are even past and present commenters who can easily be found under their real names.

It’s not like our names all go to Twitter eggs with no followers or posts. It’s pretty easy to tell when an account is suspicious.

Matchstick
Matchstick

Seriously if commenters on here are sockpuppets why would they spend SO much time actually talking about nice stuff that’s utterly unrelated to the hateful bullshit the site is dedicated to reporting on ?

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

They’re just jealous that Dave doesn’t have to add fake accounts to get people following his blog. 😉

lkeke35
lkeke35

My main question that I got out of the article was how do you (David) handle reading that stuff all day, every day? How the hell do you maintain your composure and sanity when fsifting through that sludgepile?

Ususally, I just read your responses to the MRA posts and tweets, and skip over the actual tweets themselves, because reading that sufff can be psychologically damaging?

How do you remain undamamged?

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

Congrats, David.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

If I’m a sock, Dave must also be hanging out on MarkReads/MarkWatches. Dunno if he has time for that.

JS
JS

My name (if it were my actual common handle) would lead to a twitter account without very many followers, or posts, and no profile pic… but it’s been there for 10 years.

Malitia
Malitia
Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I look forward to reading what David says I think about this.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

If everyone here is a sock, then David’s writing skills are phenomenal.

The variety of tone and idiom, the differences in grammar and spelling as well as vocabulary and specific knowledge, would be incredibly impressive for a single author to pull off.

In short, I congratulate myself on my prodigious accomplishments as the greatest sock-master of all time.

– Gaebolga (aka David Futrelle)

…and in case it needs to be said: /s

barkeeperin
barkeeperin

When all the news outlets were surprised by Milo’s appearance and subsequent flame-out, I remember thinking, don’t any of you read We Hunted the Mammoth? The guy’s been doing stuff like this for over two years.

So congrats on the NYT profile.

Lea
Lea

Congratulations, David!

Eatatree,
Bell that cat yourself if you think it needs doing.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

Congratulations, David! Sock it to ’em! 😀
(seriously, do they have any idea how much time, linguistic and technical skill and ingenuity it would take to create an entire commentariat of credible characters, complete with evidence of their online existence, spanning decades? Someone who could do that … would probably attract a lot of attention from people. They haven’t thought this through …)

ETA ninja’d, by … Gaebolga, the greatest sock-meister of all time aka David (in another incarnation) 🙂

Collateral Thought
Collateral Thought

I’m definitely a sock puppet. As I said above, while posting as Gaebolga, I’m very proud of the work I do here under all those alternative identities (this one hasn’t written much and it’s mostly been pedantic tangents). And as I noted above, while posting as Alan, I’m curious to see what I (while posting as David) will write all of this.

[Sigh. Some MRA will probably think I’m serious.]

JS
JS

@eatatree I’m not sure there’s as much “liberal bashing” in that article as you seem to be reading into it.

Ooglyboggles

David must be given all the awards for method acting so many wide and varied personalities and quirks.

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

This reminds me of the I AM SPARTACUS thing.

NO, I AM DAVID FUTRELLE!

We are ALL David on this Blessed Day!

Tabby Lavalamp

Congratulations!

Not just for the write-up, but in creating the best sock puppets on the whole WWW. Just using me as an example, the time you’ve put in crafting this whole “Tabby Lavalamp” persona with an active Twitter account and comments all over the internet over the course of many years, even leaving a defunct blog or two laying around somewhere? That is master level sockcraftery.

Viscaria the Cheese Hog
Viscaria the Cheese Hog

Usually I just jump into discussing the content of THE MRA OPs, so I rarely take the time to say that the main reason I enjoy the posts here is your analysis, David, and your jokes, which somehow lighten the sting of the pure, unbridled hate coming from these guys.

dreemr
dreemr

For sock puppets, we are remarkably diverse. That’s some really creative puppeteering on someone’s part!

Fabe
Fabe

I must be a sock David just sort of threw together half-assed and used to add a extra post or two to a thread.

dreemr
dreemr

@Viscaria the Cheese Hog said:

the main reason I enjoy the posts here is your analysis, David, and your jokes,

A resounding DITTO from me, David.

Button
Button

…I always figured David was in his 30s. The More You Know, I guess.

SInce I’m a Button, I’m probably just the eye of one of David’s sockpuppets, not an entire sock in myself.

ScarlettAthena (not a sock puppet... or am I?)
ScarlettAthena (not a sock puppet... or am I?)

Congrats, David! Great article.

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

Just makes me wonder how much sockpuppeting ‘ole Cernovich has done, himself…

*whispers* “I…see…sockpuppets…everywhere…”

Moggie
Moggie

PeeVee:

Just makes me wonder how much sockpuppeting ‘ole Cernovich has done, himself…

It’s always projection.

JS
JS

There are no right-wing sockpuppets. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

Okay, I confess. I am everyone on this site.

Well, all the commenters. Except the trolls, of course.

And David. And his cats.

Wait, I might be the cats.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Darn it, Iseult, *I* wanted to be everyone on this site except the trolls!

I shall now pout fetchingly.

Citizen Rat
Citizen Rat

I’m David Futrelle and so’s my wife!!

Pavlovs House
Pavlovs House

David, congratulations….I also find many of your posts well-written and well-argued.

As for the whole sock-puppet accusation, I agree that it would be astonishing if one person could create so many fictional voices distinct from each other in so many ways….AND manufacture the output at a pace that would create those 600+ comment threads we’ve seen on some posts recently.

That being said, WWTH’s point would apply differently to the case of some regular commenters. I have no Twitter account at all and very minimal online presence outside some professional accounts under my real name. I don’t use that here and keep things psuedonymous and prefer it that way.

Still, I often laugh (to myself) at Alt-Right people like the Return of Kings bloggers….my reality would, like many of the realities of the people here, make their heads explode from cognitive dissonance….e.g. after a brief period of my own military service, have had a career teaching military history at the undergraduate and graduate levels at several schools including in the U.S. military, reasonable record of well-received scholarly publication [if I do say so myself 😉 ] in the discipline….cis-het, with gender presentation very traditionally masculine…regular Crossfitter (I love their favorite question “do you even lift?”….like they can’t believe a feminist man would…yes, Rooshie I do and probably more than you and probably can do a plank hold longer than you too)…romantic partner (the lovely Ms. Pavlov’s House) cis-het traditionally feminine, tall blonde-haired blue-eyed Slavic beauty who also could kick a ROKers ass if one ever harassed or attacked her…
(those assholes love to fetishize Slavic women in especially idiotic ways…David you should do a post about that sometime.)

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

It’s always projection

Of course it is, lol. They always think that whatever they, themselves are doing, everyone else must be, too.

After all, they champion a POTUS that sockpuppeted himself, so.

Aulma Frendzar Dèdd
Aulma Frendzar Dèdd

Congrats David!! I read the article and it’s really well written. Also 51 y.o? I thought you were like 30? I haven’t seen many pictures of you but you look much younger than that. 🙂

JS
JS

No no no, that was his publicist, not him! Grrrr! How could you make such a mistake! {/s}

RumiKumu
RumiKumu

Congratulations David! Your work is hard (like a sewer workers or anything else featured on “Dirty Jobs”) but someone has to do it and you deserve to be recognized. Thank you!

Oh? And who just worked to right a historical wrong against unwed fathers? RUTH BADER GINSBERG! BOOM!!

Suck it, MRAs!

Sorry for the link and run, I am really supposed to be working…

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

@Re: Trolls.

I’m a troll.

One of the sexy trolls from Andrew Hussie’s Homestuck.

Pic related, it’s me.
comment image

Also, this is the Troll Empress, so this is relevant to me that much more, and she represents my birth sign Pisces.

ETA:

she even has fluffy hair like me omg

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

There are no right-wing sockpuppets. Move along. Nothing to see here.

(Yeah, I know, hardly needed comment, but…)

FossilFishy
FossilFishy

No, no, no, I’m a lurker not a sock. Wait…er, if I’m posting this then I can’t be a lurker, can I? Could it be…?
[Frantically checks browser history for mra sites and home for signs of cats.]

Congrats Dave, I hope the much deserved attention brings good things.

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

Congrats, Dave! Now we juuuuuust need to get Ross Douthat fired from the NYT editorial board so you can write for them instead!

I’d have said Tom Friedman, but he’s too rich to fire and David Brooks clearly has some kind of dirt on everybody in Washington given as poor a writer as he keeps getting on Sunday shows. That leaves useless toad Ross Douthat to give up his seat for a real writer.

K.
K.

IT WAS ME, AUSTIN! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!

Checkmate
Checkmate

@K, you ninja’d me!!! *sob*

K.
K.

@Checkmate, it’s OK, since we’re all David anyways.

Erehwesle
Erehwesle

I as a rule dont comment on websites much, but I have to say, David, I enjoy what you are doing here.

And commentors, if you are indeed sock puppets you are AWESOME ones.

Ok, back to lurking, thought Id show the flag for a moment, because praise where praise is due and all…

dslucia
dslucia

Now, admittedly my first name is David. What does that mean for this sock-puppet theory?

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

I like the part where David, a 50-year-old white male, somehow manages to accurately portray me, a 27-year old black transwoman who is into weird stuff and looking fabulous and being gorgeous and ravishing.

Like, how did David manage to be this stylish, y’all?

Paradoxical Intention - Mobile
Paradoxical Intention - Mobile

Wait…if I’m a sock, and the rest of us are socks, then who’s the shoe????

1 2 3 4