cuteness open thread

I exist! Here are some baby stoats

Totes adorbs

Hey, folks! I still exist. I’m just having another unplanned migraine vacation — same thing yesterday — so I may not get to posting anything today beyond this.

The tweet below has pretty much exhausted my creativity for the day, I think.

Oh, and as long as I’m pasting tweets, everyone should see this:

Consider this an open thread.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I exist! Here are some baby stoats

Rene DeCarte couldn’t have put it any better. Get well soon!

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

We will be stoatally stoked when you are well again. Hope you don’t feel too crook, migraines are the bitter pits of suckitude 🙁

JS
JS

Stoatally righteous, dude!

I’m lucky enough not to get migraines (yet), but I’m guessing, taking the pain of kidney stones, and moving the location to inside the skull might be similar, so I can sort-of relate.

Also, you missed a terrible pun for the top stoat picture. Should have been “Stoats adorbs”.

dlouwe
dlouwe

I disagree, that stoat is exactly the right size.

In personal news, I am continuing to expanding my online presence at a glacial pace by… finally uploading some videos to my YouTube channel (*shameless plug*) that I already had recorded and sitting around. Next point of order: figure out what I can barter with one of my designer friends to get some proper social media banners and whatnots done up.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

Feel better soon, David.

You’re gonna need a bigger stoat

I know it’s a Jaws reference, but I’m of the Buffy generation (actually slightly too old, but I loved it), so for me it’s a meta quote. Xander, looking at a picture of the monster they have to defeat, watches as Giles folds out a page in a book, and says… well, you know what he says.

[For fellow Buffy fans, I know which monster, I know which episode, I organised a Buffy quiz for my 40th birthday, but I’m trying not to geek out – also I have a new phone and it keeps defaulting to Buddy. Aargh, with added Gerr.]

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

Please feel better soon, David.

numerobis
numerobis

Mentioned in the previous open thread, but the guardian has a safer link to click on: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/06/alberta-sexual-assault-victim-jail-investigation

A prosecutor and judge jailed the victim of a sexual assault to make sure she’d testify. More details in the story.

It took two years for the story to emerge.

I’m livid. Apparently, so is the Alberta justice minister.

It’s everything that is wrong about Canada, all rolled up into one:
– addiction
– homelessness
– sexual assault
– terrible judicial response
– systemic racism
– guns
– cuts to the CBC and investigative reporting

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I also exist, and am the proud spinner of a new skein of yarn:

comment image

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I also exist and am the proud spinner of a new skein of yarn blended by me.

comment image

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Numerobis,
That happens in the US sometimes too. And people wonder why so many sexual assault victims are reluctant to report.

I can only conclude that making the process so horrific for victims has got to be a feature and not a bug.

dlouwe
dlouwe

@Victorious Parasol

That is some fine looking yarn! About how long did it take to spin that?

Valentine
Valentine

Sorry for your head pain david (( today i also disappointed. No shore leave in Philadelphia so i just going to sleep. Some very cute creatures!

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

WWTH : while I don’t have examples of anything *that* egregious, there is similar problems in France too.

I suspect countries (or even just police station) where reporting a rape is a good idea and not an exhausting ordeal are few and far between. And I am pretty sure it’s an horrifying feature.

Weird (Encouraged by the RESISTANCE!!!!) Eddie
Weird (Encouraged by the RESISTANCE!!!!) Eddie

@wwth;

That!

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@numerobis What a horrifying situation that was. I wish I could say I was surprised, though. 🙁 I am somewhat gratified to see that there are people in high(er) places making a stink about it.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@dlouwe

Thank you. 🙂 About a week. I plan on turning it into an interesting neck thing of some kind.

dr. ej
dr. ej

I also exist! I’ve been looking for a place to live (which I found over the weekend) and organizing a move across the country (still a work in progress).

Things are moving quickly and we’re also trying to get my grandparents moved out of their house. It’s been a bit hectic.

@David
Hope you’re back on your feet soon!

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

@VP that is gorgeous! Now I want a scarf.

And baby stoats! Squeeeeee!

Weasal lookin’ forward to havin’ you back, David.

Falconer
Falconer

My beloved wife has a book on Smashwords! The first of many!

Valentine
Valentine

Update – did not go ashore, did not yet sleep, but i just watched all of Mean Girls when i trying to decide if i should watch something…..😁

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

They’re good stoats, Bryant! Currently rereading thru the Redwall books, and Brian Jacques really coulda used a buncha 13/10 ‘vermin’ pics…

Speaking of, @dog_rates recently sold a covfefe hat on his storefront and decided to donate proceeds to Planned Parenthood. The usual shitholes got mad, so he placated them by donating to PP and matching donations to a dog shelter. Good compromise, I suppose. They don’t deserve compromise, but it is what it is. And a couple of great orgs get some funds 🙂

@Falconer
Cheap and short, my favorite kinda book! I’ll pick it up when I’m done with this one maybe 😀

JS
JS

Twitter is so wonderfully civilized these days.

Sarcasm not marked.

Falconer
Falconer

Oh hey, @Axecalibur, is there any rhyme or reason in the Redwall books as to which mammals get to be heroes and which mammals can only be villains? At first I thought it was predators vs. prey animals, but there’s plenty of predators on the hero side; then I thought it was vermin vs. Beatrix Potter animals, only there are mice and moles on the hero team.

ColeYote
ColeYote

I like stoats. Not least of which because it’s an anagram of toast.

Diptych
Diptych

Rene DeCarte couldn’t have put it any better. Get well soon!

Cogito ergo stoats?

Speaking of covfefe, I have had the weirdest week. A friend posted about how the reaction to the typo was disproportionate to its actual political importance (fair enough); another friend replied that it was an example of how “SJWs” are destroying discourse (or something like that.) A few folks, myself included, commented that such terms are hard to take seriously… and the dude went nuclear, and has spent the ensuing days posting multi-thousand word rants about “SJW language police”, accusing us of every crime known to man, and generally making things incredibly awkward. I feel bad for the friend whose discussion got derailed, and a little guilty for laughing at the guy, as his outburst approaches its second week.

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

Things could always be worse. You could have brought home a dresser that turned out to have a scary ghost-demon-thing attached to it?

I need to quit watching ghost/haunting type shows and falling asleep during them. I woke up smacking the mister and yelling at him about a freaking haunted dresser that he needed to get rid of.

epitome of incomprehensibility

David, hope you feel better soon! I caught a bad flu two weeks ago, throbbing headache included. Not fun.

@Victorious Parasol – ooh, nice! I like multicoloured yarn.

@dlouwe – I am liking your songs! Both actually and with virtual thumbs-ups! (And yes, I know static verbs aren’t supposed to take the progressive ending, but I’m not liking that rule today.) 😛

@Dalillama – from something in a thread way back… my brother’s doing research into Arthurian legends and he also says most of their roots are Celtic. Many characters have roots in a 9th-century Welsh poem “Preiddeu Annfwyn” or “The Raid on the Underworld” (not Lancelot, apparently; he was a later French addition).

Also, if I currently exist, it means I’m supposed to be making a Quebec history timeline for one of my students. This is NOT my field, I’m an English tutor, but there wasn’t any history tutor, so I have to go back and relearn things I haven’t touched since tenth grade. Takeaways so far:
a) Places change names and borders a lot, which makes nationalism ultimately a bit silly.
b) The War of 1812 started in 1812 (surprise!) but ended 1814.
c) The exam material very correctly points out the physical and cultural violence involved in the attempts to assimilate aboriginal peoples …and then it goes and spends all the rest of its time on the English and French. 🙁

SciFiGeekForever
SciFiGeekForever

Feel better! Here I was hoping you were just absent doing something awesome like repeated viewings of Wonder Woman.

Scolar Visari
Scolar Visari

@Diptych
They’re not entirely wrong: The SJW Language Police is in fact a division within the SJW Gender Enforcement, Special Tactics and Assault Policing Organization. Any time a statement is both politically incorrect and spelled incorrectly, SJW LP enforcers rappel through their windows to apprehend offenders not simply destroyed outright by the righteous fury of their orbiting, keyboard operated SJW gunship. I mean: Why risk engaging with muscular red pill he-men and their collection of assorted rifles and katanas when you can level their entire block from the safety of a climate controlled targeting station while eating bon bons? Though obviously herr Donald is far too much of a man to fall prey to cowardly aerial attack.

I have the strong feeling that many defenders of the imbecile in chief might actually believe all of that (like that time an Austrian corporal managed to convince millions of people that the Jews were secretly in charge of capitalism and communism simultaneously). It really is bad enough that some people must invariably partition society into, “us” and, “them”, but they go a whole other level when they simply can’t admit when, “us” is wrong or when, “them” is right.

freneticferret
freneticferret

Excuse me while I BURST IN HERE because I’m more than a little obsessed with stoats and weasels (and mustelidae in general). Excellent choice of cute animal, David.

Also, Redwall was my jam as a kid, but the constant hating on carnivores (as well as the constant reused plots) started to really get to me. There got to be such a strong element of ‘you are what you’re born as – a good person or a fucking asshole.’ And that final book, man that was garbage. Ah, Brian Jacques, you doddering old man. I wish you were still alive so I could send you a letter detailing exactly what I thought of that book.

If you want to read something with a good Redwall vibe, but a lot more genuine humor and none of the weird ‘speciesism’, not to mention a metric ton of appreciation for mustelids, try to hunt down Garry Kilworth’s Welkin Weasels series. It takes place in a world in which humans abruptly vanished, leaving small mammals – mostly carnivores – to take over what was left behind. Mustelids emerged as the prominent civilized creatures, but a particularly nasty, spoiled ermine king treats the least weasels as lower-class citizens and terrorizes the countryside. A Robin Hood-esque band of weasels set out to find the disappeared humans and restore order. The first three books follow these weasels, and the next three take place in a sort of steampunk future. If the idea of steampunk weasels doesn’t entice you, I don’t know what to say to you.

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

@SciFiGeekForever,

MATT BOMER!!

*Swoons*

Nequam
Nequam

Something Awful did a brutal satire of Brian Jacques some years back.

freneticferret
freneticferret

@Nequam

That is AMAZING. I’ve gone on mini-tangents before about the weird racism in Redwall, but a lot people uhh… call me an idiot, so I try not to.

At least Romsca was badass, though she died with the unfortunate wish that she could have been ‘born good.’ Come ON.

PaganReader - Misandrist Spinster

This is Seymour Fellows (Robin Fellows’ brother)
comment image
and this is Maurice Fellows (the third kitten in this batch)
comment image
Seymour, Robin, and Maurice are being fostered by the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@epitome
The war technically ended in 1814, but not everyone was told
Not Canadian, so maybe it ain’t relevant to what you’re doing. Just pointing it out

@ferret
I dunno, the idea that one species are the “prominent, civilized creatures” does seem like some weird speciesism to me…

@Nequam
I draw the line at mocking molespeak, burr eye! Yon gurt skallywags ‘ad’n beddur warsh thine mowths oot wi’ ‘ee soap ‘n ‘ee zoop! Well hilarious otherwise, wot wot!

History Nerd
History Nerd

I’ve done some more reading and I’m convinced that many of the “white working class” people who voted for Obama in 2012 didn’t vote for Trump. Trump got some extra votes from people with far right political views who normally don’t vote on a regular basis because they consider Republicans insufficiently radical on crime, race issues, and immigration. Those people will maybe vote once in every 16-24 year cycle (usually for a Republican or Libertarian, but reluctantly), and Breitbart and the Trump campaign actively reached out to those people.

freneticferret
freneticferret

@Axe

Naaah, most of the larger animals chose to live ‘wild,’ and the various mustelidae species found human objects easy to manipulate with their little hand-ish paws and moved right in. There are plenty of other civilized creatures, but as it seems to take place in England, the main setting is limited to UK species. The only part that ever smacked of Redwall-style ‘speciesism’ to me was an odd line about ferrets in the third book… Why can’t ferrets get more love?

Ooglyboggles

Anyone watch the Redwall Cartoons as a kid? I vaguely remember it but that’s only because in one season the main villain showed his damaged half of his face pulsating and squirming to prove a point to the child protagonist.

JS
JS

Ooooh! Next Pledge Drive… STOATS and other weasel-like creatures.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Oogly
Slagar the Cruel from Mattimeo. That book is utter tripe, btw. Redwall is racist af but quite good. Martin the Warrior flirts with greatness sometimes and does have a ‘good’ creature on the ‘evil’ side for a nice change of pace. But Mattimeo suffers all the problems with legacy stories (do not get me started on ‘next generation’ bullshit) without any if the fun of the others. Rant over, but, yes, I remember the shows being fantastic! 😀

@ferret

Naaah, most of the larger animals chose to live ‘wild,’

Side eyeing this a bit, but I’ll take your word for it 🙂

Why can’t ferrets get more love?

Pokemon’s gotcha covered 😍

freneticferret
freneticferret

@Axe

Yeah, Furret’s adorable. I’m more of a Buizel gal myself, though. I’ve had one named after my first ferret for years, transferred from one game to another.

You should still check out Welkin Weasels – it’s got way more soul than Redwall, and it’s heavy on humor and classical literary references. I only wish it had gotten even half the attention that Redwall did.

Ooglyboggles

@Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Oh that’s who he was, funny enough I did read all the Redwall stories, but I can’t seem to remember any of them. Then again until a few years ago I only consumed media in a hypnotic daze without thinking too much of what I’m looking at so all that badness that Redwall got just flew over my head. But I do remember liking Slagar, there was just something I found inspiring in a person who won’t accept the world for what it is and was able to state his case in ways you can’t just dismiss as “cause I’m evul muahahaha.” I think after the end of each episode there was an after show short that talked about the behind the scenes of the show with the cast and others talking about the various things the episode in question was inspired by.

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Agent of the FemiNest Collective; Keeper of a Hell Toupee, and all-around Intergalactic Meanie

About the SJW thing…evidently a few weeks ago Peter Boghossian and James Lindsay got a ‘pay to publish’ journal in the Gender Studies field to publish a fake article called “The conceptual penis as a social construct”.

The two writers then wrote an article about the hoax for Skeptic Magazine, claiming that this fake paper’s acceptance proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that gender studies as a field is poisoned by religious man-hating fevour and thus not a true science at all.

Because one instance is all anyone needs to prove a soft science field fake, right?

>.<

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@ferret

Yeah, Furret’s adorable. I’m more of a Buizel gal myself, though

Bui bui! *fist bump* 😁

@Oogly

I think after the end of each episode there was an after show short…

Yep! Those were fun

I liked that his entire character revolves around the unreliable narrator trope. His most enduring trait is that, no matter what he does, he always has a spin and/or justification for it ready to go. Usually based on his own determination of who deserves what. He’s a fascinating one…

@Falconer from way back

Racism. Jacques like mice and doesn’t like rats. I mean, I’m not sure he said as much, but it seems just to come down to preference. Foxes and weasels (and thus all mustelids) are culturally coded conniving. Cats predate mice, so they’re bad. Etc etc. Don’t think there’s any more to it than that *shrugs*

Dreamer
Dreamer

Dear David,

I’m hoping you’ll feel better soon. I’m staying with my 90-something mom while my sis and her wife vacation. I used to vacation with them but a caretaker is needed. So another family member- a Trump voter – dropped by tonight. He has stopped watching news because don’t you know the main-stream media brainwashes. But he’s also praying Trump develops a conscious.

Croquembouche, poorly-dressed vandal
Croquembouche, poorly-dressed vandal

I apologise, Mammotheers, for putting this here, but does anyone have the settledness of stomach to watch it? I intend to try, but doubt my capacity.

It’s Karen Straughan, guest at the Australian AVFM conference coming up this weekend, being interviewed by fellow guest Bettina Arndt, on fellow fellow guest Mark Latham’s Sky channel vanity project. Not sure how many other fellow guests may be involved.

Holding nose, going in.

Capra
Capra

David, I hope you feel better soon.

@Victorious Parasol: I salute you, fellow spinster. That’s a lovely skein.

Re: Redwall: I always liked the idea but hated the idea that certain species are just evil. I must look for that weasel series, it sounds interesting.

DanHolme
DanHolme

@FreneticFerret

‘Welkin Weasels’ sounds awesome, I will look them up in the school library today, I’m pretty sure we have some.

I was well into the Deptford Mice 30 or so years ago, but I have a feeling that nowadays I’d be more on the side of the rats, who got a poor deal in those books.

@David

Hope you’re feeling better soon.

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

I loved Redwall as a kid, but was too young to pick up on what you guys are bringing to light now: the speciesism.

I think it would make more sense if the rats/weasels/foxes etc lived in close knit communities like the “good guys” do (Redwall, Salamandastron, The Sparra) and it turns out that they’re taught from birth to hate/attack the “good guy” species by cult like leaders. Instead of the “bad guys” existing in various groups and packs and just being antagonists because “that’s how they are.” Nurture and not nature, basically.

Nanny Ogg's Bosom (Formerly LostInLindsey)
Nanny Ogg's Bosom (Formerly LostInLindsey)

@ David, hope the migraine clears up soon. They’re not fun, I’ve managed to avoid them for a couple of years now, but never forgot the pain, and vomiting and weird eye stuff.

@Victorious Parasol, that is some impressive yarn.

In personal news, I’m going to be homeless in a month if I can’t find £600 for the deposit on a new house. I hate renting, it’s really stressful and messing with my anxiety and depression. My family can’t help, the county council are useless, and I have no money. So, yeah, feeling kinda crappy.

1 2 3 4