facepalm schadenfreude scott adams trump twitter

Scott Adams still thinks Donald Trump is winning, bigly

Scott Adams: Has many opinions, most of them dumb

By virtually all measures, Donald Trump’s presidency is a disaster, lurching from self-inflicted crisis to self-inflicted disaster.

His inauguration day crowds were dwarfed by massive protests the next day. He’s delivered on none of his signature promises. Investigators are snooping around his administration and his businesses, and talk of impeachment is in the air. The White House is in perpetual chaos, with demoralized staffers leaking embarrassing details to the press almost hourly — when they’re not literally hiding in the bushes to escape questions from the press. Every day brings new evidence that Trump has no idea what he’s doing.

Today, after more than a week of relentless bad news, his historically terrible popularity rating has fallen close to its all time low. Even his wife refuses to hold hands with him.

But to Dilbert-cartoonist-turned-dillweed-pundit Scott Adams, everything bad is good for Trump, whom he sees as playing a masterful game of 4th-dimensional chess that most of us are too dumb to understand. Whenever Trump pulls some new boner, Adams is there to tell us, like Pee Wee Herman after his famous bike fail, that Trump “meant to do that.”

It’s been a while since we last checked in on Spinnin’ Scott, so I thought I’d grace you all with some of the highlights of his Trump-related Twittering over the last month or so.

In late April, Adams suggested that Trump’s opponents were running out of steam, or at least air:

He informed us that the world was coming to see all of politics through a Trumpian lens:

He groused a little about the French election with a Tweet one can only assume was deliberately designed to break irony meters around the globe:

He declared that the widespread belief that Trump has no fucking idea what he’s doing is actually … good for Trump, a step in the right direction, perception-wise.

Clearly Adams doesn’t realize that Trump’s “brand migration” hasn’t actually gone “from Hitler to incompetent” but from “Hitler to incompetent Hitler.”

He’s also apparently unaware that in a democracy, a politician’s popularity actually counts for quite a lot, given that our leaders are chosen through literal popularity contests known as “elections.”

He repeatedly tried to hypnotize Americans into forgetting the name “Comey” entirely.

Then he tried to convince us that Trump’s short attention span is a good thing because his advisors are so terrible:

I can’t say I dispute Adams’ contention that Trump’s advisors suck, but, dude, WHO PICKED THESE ADVISORS? (Hint: His name rhymes with Bonald Glump.)

Currently, Adams is trying to push his rather unique take on Trump’s cringeworthy world tour:

Apparently one ‘”powers up” abroad as a president by:

1. Curtsying to Saudi royalty
  2. Forgetting that Israel is in the Middle East
  3. Grasping a giant glowing orb from the Home Shopping Network’s Illuminati Collection

But, hey, maybe the real story of the world tour is how much everyone LOVES Ivanka!

Keep spinning, Scott! Just keep spinning.

Kivutar
Kivutar

I had to stare at that French election tweet for a long time. It made me legitimately wonder if Adams has been playing with Poe’s Law and his whole downhill slide has been one long trolling session or piece of performance art or what have you. Surely nobody is that clueless?

Then I realized that that is highly improbable, but still… damn.

Bina

Anti-Trumpers are clinging to the “low approval” criticism of Trump, unaware that it measures their cognition, not his performance.

His devotion to Loserboy is touching, but hooWEE is his projection ever hurting my eyes. FOCUS, Scott!

MexicanHotChocolate
MexicanHotChocolate

Scott Adams writes a comic strip for a living, so I assumed he understood what words mean. Sadly I see I was mistaken in that assumption.

Dreamer
Dreamer

I remember back when I thought Dilbert was funny. It’s hard to enjoy a comic strip when you realize the writer might be the pointy haired boss.

DMW
DMW

“And it’s just- and there HAS to come a point, where Republicans and Democrats, where we see a piece of footage and we just agree on what the fuck reality is! And the fact is, you can’t show footage of a Land Rover running over a cat and then say the cat was trying to kill itself. I’m gonna need at least three days to find the note that he left.”

That chunky quote is from a Lewis Black special, back during the Bush years. I think about it a lot these days. Been super relevant lately.

Lucrece
Lucrece

@David

It certainly broke my brain! I can’t even…

I’m pretty sure that French election tweet was meant as a joke

Go on…

I guess he’s trying to mock Trump-haters who were relieved Macron won, by suggesting that he has more in common with Trump than they want to admit.

Oooohhh. We must be in that universe where Adams’ belief in his own masterly understanding of politics is actually true.

I guess. It really really doesn’t work.

Agreed 🙌

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Also, a sinkhole opened in front of Mar a Lago.

I’m sure if you peered down into it, you’d see some non-Euclidean geometry going on!

JS
JS

That’ll teach Trump to touch mysteriously glowing orbs surrounded by wizards.

Ooglyboggles

@wwth
Reality is taking the piss so hard.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

France had a chance to elect a Trump-like candidate, but instead chose a rich, white businessman with no government experience. #Macron

Yeah, the Trump-like candidate was Marine Le Pen.

The far right seems to give us women a pass (awww!) if we’re fascists (ewww!).

Remember how Sarah Palin ran for VP — and there wasn’t a murmur of disapproval from the right?

No one said that she should be home with her family?

No one said that she wasn’t qualified? (Snort, snort, snort.)

No one pointed out that in their evangelical Christian family, her husband was (supposedly) her boss — so that if McCain, an elderly man, couldn’t fulfill his duties and she became president, Todd could say to Sarah, Time to come home now?

The right wing: all about the pretty pictures and the good-feeling feels.

Ariblester
Ariblester

Re: Macron Tweet

What the fuck? Macron has “no government experience”? Then what would his stints as Deputy Secretary-General, then Minister, count as?

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Ariblester
I don’t know what words Scott Adams, literary wizard, would choose to explain Macron’s background.

But I’m sure these words would be magically twisty. In the end, Macron’s “experience” with the “French government” would turn out to be minimal. So minimal as to be not worth mentioning.

Robin Lionheart

Like Stephen Colbert said, Trump’s not a wizard playing 4-Dimensional Chess, he’s playing Hungry Hungry Hippos.

Ariblester
Ariblester

@Robin Lionheart

I’ve heard “One-dimensional snakes and ladders”

Wetherby
Wetherby

I’ve always thought that finance minister was a pointlessly tokenistic job.

misophistry
misophistry

Blonald flump, chonald rump, gronald pump. He is playing pong but he has mistakenly picked up wrong controller and thinks he is winning.

Sister Bat'leth of Rational Discussion
Sister Bat'leth of Rational Discussion

Tweet seen quoted elsewhere, I don’t recall from whom:

WaPo: Trump shat himself.

White House: Trump didn’t actually shit himself at all.

Trump: I SHAT MYSELF ON PURPOSE.

Every. Fucking. Day.

Robin Lionheart

Here’s the context on the Hungry Hungry Hippos remark from Colbert’s monologue:

“The question is, why did Trump do it? Now, while it looks like Trump fired James Comey to stop the Russia investigation, that is why.

I’m pretty confident, because one thing we’ve learned from the last two years of Donald Trump is that what it seems like he’s doing is exactly what he’s doing. There’s no grand strategy. He’s not some puppet master. He’s not some wizard playing three-dimensional chess. He’s playing Hungry Hungry Hippos. He’s just slapping till he gets all the marbles. Mine-mine-mine-mine-mine-mine-mine-mine-mine.

There’s nothing deeper going on. He’s a baby pool. You could not get your ankles wet in Donald Trump.”

misophistry
misophistry

He is playing sonic the hedgehog but he has not pressed the start button and is actually watching the demo.

Wetherby
Wetherby

Has anyone else seen this?

Short version: a filmmaker is called out for sexism in a review by a female film critic. The filmmaker complains to her editor (also a woman) and, when she decides not to respond, starts a campaign to try to get her and her publication shunned on social media.

The punchline? By his own admission, the filmmaker didn’t even read the review.

Lucrece
Lucrece

@Wetherby

Interesting read! I did a bit of sleuthing and the film review in question is for Porto, directed by Gabe Klinger.
If anyone wants to read the review itself you can find it here.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Trump’s brand migration from Hitler to incompetent is complete. After a few more wins, look for, “Effective, but I don’t like it.”

OK, so apparently Adams thinks Trump has re-branded himself as America’s pointy-haired boss and that’s part of some grand strategy because it makes him more acceptable (compared to the fascist brand) to the left.

I guess in this scheme Trump won the election by playing an alt-right superhero, no matter how much it’d make the left hate him. Now he’ll eventually transform into an ordinary corrupt big money politician, the kind that everybody dislikes but nobody truly hates. Adams probably thinks that’s what Trump truly is. But why then would he take this intermediary stage playing pointy-haired boss?

I think Trump truly is the pointy-haired boss, to a staggering degree of accuracy. He’s largely given up or failed the alt-right hero image, but he’s still teamed up with fascists, aside from big money crooks and random lickspittles. His popularity on the left certainly isn’t improving.

QuantumInc
QuantumInc

I guess being incompetent is a better image than evil, but “Effective” is the polar opposite. Saying that he is intentionally changing his image to incompetent as a midpoint to “effective, but I don’t like it” sounds like something a comedian would make up to ridicule people making stupid arguments. I want to think this is all part of some long winded joke mocking trump supporters, unfortunately actually believing that would require the same magnitude of pathetic rationalization that Scott Adams has achieved.

I think Trump supporters were trying to tackle a serious issue, but they did it in a very irrational, illogical way. When your front door refuses to open, do you pull out your key, or do you body slam it? Washington is corrupt, so they get someone who ignores the rules, (all of them). Income inequality is growing, and the ultra-rich have more power than ever, so they get a billionaire, but one who is DIFFERENT (well, different from how they imagine billionaires to be). Globalization is causing economic instability, so you need to most aggressive guy on the ticket (because REASONS).

Weird (Encouraged by the RESISTANCE!!!!) Eddie
Weird (Encouraged by the RESISTANCE!!!!) Eddie

“Every day he looks more and more like a complete moron. I can’t see Trump resigning or even being impeached, but at this point I wish he’d grow a brain and then be the man that he sold himself as on the campaign.”

senior Trump administration official to The Daily Beast

trumpf: “I’m acting like a complete moron on purpose…”

ETA: Scott Adams, are you awake? I know “woke” is waaayyyy too much to ask of you, but are you even fucking AWAKE?????

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

Okay, it’s well past the point that I can’t just roll my eyes and say “Haha, Scott Adams said something stupid again.” I’m at the point of asking “What the hell happened to you, man???”

I’ve read somewhere that this all started after a messy divorce, although I doubt that was anything more than a catalyst for personal politics puffed up by years of success and yes-men telling him how great he is (ironically something that his early strips satirized very well).

I mean… simply from a core brand proposition standpoint, does he not understand how radioactive Trump support is for large swath of Dilbert’s readership? Granted, the Silicon Valley technocrati make Narcissus himself look humble by comparison, but there have got to be a few cubicle-dwellers for whom a puffed-up reality show star turns the stomach. Dilbert’s cultural cache has long since passed and tying its threadbare legacy to a grotesque individual like Trump will only serve to make it even more of punchline than it already is.

It just disappoints me to no end that a childhood icon of me is crashing and burning in slow motion like this.

Pie
Pie

@Gussie Jives

I had a similar reaction a few years back when he got into a bit of an argument with PZ Myers. My main memory of the event was the fact that he came on to Myers’ blog, and the wittiest thing he could manage was to call PZ a “bearded taint”. I had thought that scott was a relatively clever and witty person up to that point, but suddenly he became indistinguishable from a generic ignorant and boorish internet troll. Seriously, whatever happened to “Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel”?

Looking back, you can see that his ideas weren’t great, his material was packed with filler, many of the better ideas and jokes in dilbert came from readers and his tendency towards sexism and misogyny was well under way twenty years ago.

Who knows why he’s glommed onto trump so enthusiastically, though.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@DMW

I only really know of Black from his VA role in Inside Out as Anger…a quite appropriate role for him, from what I’ve heard.

comment image?response_id=59245949403e14b9b5bb22c2

Anger is something we have a lot of these days.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Gussie Jives

Nah, you’re probably thinking of Dave Sim, cartoonist who did Cerebus. It started out as a normalish (aside from the protagonist being an anthropomorphic aardvark for no apparent reason; everyone else was human) sword and sorcery comic, but after he got divorced it turned into page after page of misogynistic ranting. Adams does appear to be divorced at this time, but his being a total douchebag predates that considerably.

Alex Stallwitz
Alex Stallwitz

I am wondering if Adams is screwing with us as part of some elaborate troll. Only someone who is delibrately ignoring reality would argue Trump is winning. Its sad to me to watch Adams whos cartoons I enjoyed as a child has become this deloprable human being whos now a MRA to boot.

The Real Cie

Scott Adams is still an idiot.
In other news, the sky on Earth is blue, and Jupiter has a big red spot.

DMW
DMW

@ Troubelle

That’s a pretty fair characterization, truthfully. Black is a pretty angry guy, or at the very least his public persona certainly is. As far as I can tell, “angry” never really turns into “hateful” in his case… I hope not, at any rate. Easy line to cross.

Antome
Antome

Hi people. And let’s also mention how Trump made a deal of selling multibillions worth of arms to Emirates. Didn’t he say it was Clinton who created the Isis? Not that she acted very wise back then, with the Syria crisis.

Ingmar
Ingmar

History Nerd
History Nerd

I wouldn’t be too surprised if Adams is getting paid by RT.

Russia tends to support either the far right or the far left depending on who is more likely to weaken the country. They would’ve supported Stein if she was more electable (Bernie was too close to being a moderate social democrat and he would’ve appointed good foreign advisers).

Jules
Jules

How can we voters tell the difference between a POTUS with a “short attention span” and advisors who aren’t worth a long listen?

Welp, that’s one way to spin it.

Seriously, we had standards once. I should like to live to see us have standards again.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

Re: Lewis Black
In his comedy you can see how the purpose of humor is to feel better about terrible things. He uses anger a lot and well in my opinion (like just about every comedian he had some material that is problematic in one way or another). He is one of my favorite political comedians. The material still hurts him though, you can sense it during his routines. He also rips on more absurd parts of US culture.

Youtube has a lot of good stuff.

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

@Pie

Oh yeah, a lot of those older strips are burned into my memory and his depiction of “Tina The Brittle Tech Writer” was incredibly cringe-inducing (which bothers me doubly as both a trained engineer and technical writer), to say nothing of how Alice gets treated. A very “techbro” attitude to be sure.

As for the filler, I really noticed that creeping in as the 90s drew to a close. Those first few years, he was doing all kinds of week-long storylines involving the Garbageman and Dogbert’s world-domination bent, along with some fun one-off characters like Techno Bill and Loud Howard. Then it just kinda developed into “clueless boss is clueless” day-in day-out. I think the last Dilbert collection I bought was Don’t Step In The Leadership from 1998.

Times like this, I miss Calvin and Hobbes. Hope Bill Watterson’s enjoying his retirement.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Gussie

Hope Bill Watterson’s enjoying his retirement.

He is, apparently. There was a (very) short interview published a few years ago when he did a collaboration with Pastis of Pearls Before Swine.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I really like Lewis Black. His comedy is angry but not assholish. Angry and asshole often go together but they aren’t the same things.

Saint Podkayne
Saint Podkayne

@Dalillama

You know, someone somewhere had recommended “Jaka’s Story” as a great way to get into Cerebus, during a comment thread where Sim’s misogyny had been brought up. So one day when a local comic shop was having a sale I picked it up and I was BLOWN AWAY. The book takes such great care of its’ female protagonist, setting her up as human, humane, interesting, many-layered. I mean, having read it I had real trouble crediting Dave Sim’s reputation as a woman-hater.

Then I did some googling, because I was curious about one particular plot point and I wanted to see if I had interpreted it correctly, and found an interview where Dave Sim talks about writing “Jaka’s Story”…

Turns out I had misunderstood everything about Jaka. Like, everything. His misogyny is in fact so bad, so gross, that I had no frame of reference to correctly interpret most of the book in the manner intended. I have to mentally divorce everything in the book from everything I read from Sim afterwards.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

re: Bill Watterson

As Dali said, he did collab briefly with Stefan (?…it’s been a while) Pastis of Pearls Before Swine.

I remember that Pastis got to his position thanks to Adams…and soon after ran strips taking the piss about Adams. So I don’t know what’s going on now.

And now I know that Anger’s VA is worth listening to. Yay.

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

I do, too. He makes me laugh, so, so hard. I like him enormously.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

I’d hate to be a White House leaker watching President Trump power-up overseas

He went to Saudi Arabia, not fuckin Namek…

@Troubelle
It’s Pixar, so I was gonna see it anyway, but Lewis Black made Inside Out a theater watch for me 🙂

Ooglyboggles

@Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
If he did go to Namek it would be a relief, that would mean he’d be gone for a LONG time.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Oogly

I imagine Pence, Ryan, McConnell, Priebus, and Bannon standing around the Dragon Balls. They know they should wish him back… But should they? And they’re all making sure Pence doesn’t take advantage of the silence to wish himself President. Meanwhile, Shenlong’s about 2 seconds away from just eating em all…

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

I don’t understand you Dragonball fans….

Fran said, while watching Patlabour and Ghost in the Shell, two extremely dull, dry, pseudointellectual police procedural dramas.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Fran
I’m with you, although I’ve only read the Patlabour manga.

Ooglyboggles

@Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
It’s the second arc of DragonBall Z. After nearly all the cast is dead everyone flies off to planet Namek to find more Dragonballs to bring their friends back. Alot of other stuff happens like the introduction of transformations, Super Saiyans, multiple temporary alliances, Ginyu Force, etc… and it took a really, really, long while before the arc was done. Even longer if you watched the anime adaptation, that show had the pacing of a glacier covered in Osmium and superglued to a tectonic plate.

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

@Dali

Watch Patlabour: The Movie 2 when you get a chance.

I love Mamoru Oshii and would like to have his children. That is how much I adore his filmmaking.

It has all the things we Oshii fans like: glassy eyed characters staring into the distance in shock, muted palettes with varying shades of grey, people staring into camera lenses with their faces all deformed…Just, oh my Goddess.

I just finished watching it while lifting weights in my home gym(read: the living room, where a weight set is strewn across the floor, along with a stationary bike).

It’s also about a terrorist attack on a major city.

I did not queue this up on purpose; it’s what The Anime Network is showing right now.