drama kings grandiosity harassment men who should not ever be with women ever

Men’s Rights Hero of the Day: The dude suing a woman for $17 for texting during a date

Not all dates go perfectly

UPDATE: The lawsuit has been dropped! Details at the end of the post.

A brave hero in Austin Texas has taken his fight against the evils of misandry to the courts, filing a suit against a woman who skipped out on a date with him after he criticized what he saw as her excessive texting.

He is asking for S17.31 in damages, the cost of a ticket to a showing of the 3-D version of Guardians of the Galaxy 2: Galactic Boogaloo, or whatever it’s called, I don’t have time for fact checking.

Let’s go to KVUE.com to hear his side of the story:

Brandon Vezmar met the Round Rock woman on Bumble, a dating app. They went on a first date to a movie theater to see “Guardians of the Galaxy.” During the movie, Vezmar claims that she opened her phone between 10 and 20 times to read and send text messages.

This, Vezmar claims, is in “direct violation of the theater’s police” and adversely affected “the viewing experience of Plaintiff and others.”

“I said ‘listen, your texting is driving me a little nuts’ and she said ‘I can’t not text my friend.’ I said ‘maybe you can take it outside to the lobby, I’ve seen people get kicked out movies for this,” Vezmar explained.

The woman took his advice and left the theater, but did not come back.

According to Vezmer, he is less interested in getting his 17 bucks back than he is in the “principle” at stake here, “as Defendant’s behavior is a threat to civilized society.” He thinks her behavior represented some sort of civilization-threatening abdication of “personal responsibility.”

Needless to say, the woman’s version of events is a little different. She told KVUE she deserted her date because he was creeping her the hell out. And he still is.

I did have a very brief date with Brandon, that I chose to end prematurely. His behavior made me extremely uncomfortable, and I felt I needed to remove myself from the situation for my own safety. He has escalated the situation far past what any mentally healthy person would. I feel sorry that I hurt his feelings badly enough that he felt he needed to commit so much time and effort into seeking revenge. I hope one day he can move past this and find peace in his life.

Somehow I don’t think that will ever happen. Especially since this may be Vezmer’s last date for a very long time.

Check out the video on KVUE.com to see the literally neckbearded (not that there’s anything wrong with that) Vezmer explain his crusade in a little more detail. The odds that he’s a Redditor seem extremely high.

UPDATE: Check out this interview, where he explains how he’s fighting for men who are being “exploited” by women on dates. The article makes even more clear what a creepy stalker he is.

UPDATE 2: The lawsuit has been dropped! She basically paid him off so he’d leave her alone. Here’s the AV Club on how this all shook out:

We’re saved everyone: By Inside Edition, of all things. Apparently as sick of this story as the rest of us, IE set up a meeting between Vezmar and his date, so that she could give him the $17.31 back. In return, she asked for him to please god, “just leave this alone.” Vezmar carefully counted out all the money, and agreed to drop his lawsuit. We’d like to say that this will be the last we hear of this, but we would undoubtedly be wrong.

H/T — @RemingtonWild  and @ami_angelwings on Twitter

Ray of Rays
Ray of Rays

Not joining the *cough* “discussion,” since every time I try, this image keeps flashing in my mind.

As for the story…the outcome is disgusting, and to say my sympathy goes out to the woman in question for being essentially subject to extortion by a petty, whining creeper feels inadequate.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

My dad’s side of the family plays the white elephant game every year at our Christmas party. There’s a lot of regifting there and it’s totally socially acceptable. There’s a horrifying demonically possessed looking Nutcracker nutcracker that looks similar to this

comment image

that ends up in the game almost every year. Last Christmas I got this yucky Twilight ornament

comment image

and I fully intend on bringing it to this year’s white elephant.

That’s the only time I ever regift anything. I can’t remember the last time I actually returned a gift to a store. I would return an engagement ring if I broke off an engagement but I doubt this will ever happen.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

Kimstu,

I’ve contributed money to this blog, and I’m having a bad time because of you. Therefore you owe me money. Pay up.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

Not going to do the right thing?

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

WWTH,

That is a seriously ugly ornament.

@Hippodameia:

Kimstu,

Well, apparently you don’t really want me to leave this conversation after all?

I’ll be happy to discuss with you our views on the etiquette obligations of blog commenters and the ways in which they are or are not analogous to dating situations for as long as you want to go on talking about it.

Viscaria the Cheese Hog
Viscaria the Cheese Hog

WWTH, that may be the very best gag gift I’ve ever seen. Also, sorry for not tagging you in my last reply to you. I’m not as consistent with that as I should be.

If some entitled douche bought a woman a drink, say, and then got mad that she wouldn’t talk to him or whatever, I could see giving it back to him and saying, “All right, here. You drink it.” I could also see downing it all just to spite him. Me, I would probably do what the woman in the OP did and forget all about the drink in my rush to get the hell away from this guy as soon as possible. To count only one of these options as Objectively Correct is just silly.

Edit: I don’t mean to imply that you, WWTH, are only allowing for one “correct” option.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@ Kimstu
People are making fun of you. Seriously , my ability to believe you’re here in good faith has now evaporated entirely. Shut up and go away.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@Kimstu

Dude, I’m pretty sure they’re trying to get you to knock it off with the etiquette bullshit and see the patriarchy woven in there. But with your thick skull, well…

Can you maybe do something else and stop bothering us? Nobody here seems to like you–and you’ve already worn thin any premise of good faith.

I can provide links to online games.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

Where’s my money? You owe me, and must immediately show your contempt by paying me.

This isn’t a conversation – it’s a collection notice.

IgnoreSandra
IgnoreSandra

@Dalillama
That. I don’t believe they’re here in good faith at all. It’s been obvious from the beginning. Plus, notice they’re lying about why they’re still here.

They say “I respond to people because they keep talking to me”, but when it comes to people like WWTH and me and a few others who have conclusively demonstrated that kimstu’s points are nil at best and dreadful at worst, they ignore us.

Troll, troll, troll. All they are is that. A deeply misogynist troll.

@Dalillama:

@ Kimstu
People are making fun of you.

That’s okay; it’s not as though we come here to do etiquette.

@IgnoreSandra:

Sorry, I didn’t realize you wanted me to go on responding to you. As far as I could tell, your last post about something I said was directed to @WWTH, so I figured I’d stay out of it. I’m happy to go on talking about what you said about what I said, if that’s what you want.

But if you really want me not to take any further part in this conversation, and then complain that I’m ignoring you, that’s kind of a mixed message.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

So the troll is greedy, demanding, classless, lacks any independence whatsoever, and won’t pay up.

Also water is wet.

JS
JS

That’s okay; it’s not as though we come here to do etiquette.

Yep, there’s the admission of not being here in good faith. If we’re not here to “do etiquette”, then stop going on and on and on about it.

And still not getting it.

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Kimstu –

And as I said before, I personally think it would save a lot of persistent pervasive sexist bullshit if pay-your-own-way could be made the default cultural expectation in dating.

I agree, and probably many people here do too. People aren’t piling up on you because they think you’re unequivocally terrible! But implying that someone isn’t self-respecting unless she does a specific thing seems a bit narrow-minded, don’t you think?

Re etiquette and gifts: At one of my cousin’s birthdays, I gave her some of my old books, and one was a media-criticism textbook. I told her it was an old book of mine and I’d thought it might be useful in a course she was taking. She said it wouldn’t be. I asked her, then, if she wanted me to take it back. She said no, it was okay: she’d keep it to resell at the college bookstore.

I’m sure we broke several etiquette rules each in that situation. And neither of us were unduly bothered!

Now, I realize that’s because we both know each other well. Between strangers, things would be different. But my point, if I have one, is that Etiquette Isn’t Everything and not everybody uses it the same way, anyway.

Viscaria the Cheese Hog
Viscaria the Cheese Hog

If I cross my legs the right way to imitate* a white woman who has and who grew up with money, men will understand that I have a lot of social capital and so I will be Safe.

*Edited this so as not to make undue assumptions about anyone’s race or SES, because I should bloody well know better.

@JS:

If we’re not here to “do etiquette”, then stop going on and on and on about it.

Like I said, though, “doing etiquette” and “discussing etiquette” are not the same thing. People can be discussing etiquette even when they’re doing non-etiquette-approved things like telling each other to fuck off and shut up, for example.

@JS:

And still not getting it.

I most definitely do not get whether posters who continue to reply to me and/or complain that I’m ignoring their posts, but also complain that I’m still posting, want to go on talking to me or not.

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@Kimstu

What wavelength are you even operating on?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

That is a seriously ugly ornament.

Somehow it’s even worse in person.

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

@e of i:

Sure, and I’m sorry if I implied that. Like I said, I’m not making any assertions about this unfairly harassed woman as a person, or about any other individual as a person. I just have strong views about perceptions of behavior and their etiquette implications in general.

(And it really is okay if you or anyone else honestly don’t want to go on discussing this with me, I recognize I can be very didactic and tedious when I get going.)

@e of i:

Yep, Miss Manners somewhere makes the point that individuals in private are free to ignore or rewrite etiquette rules in whatever way(s) they mutually agree upon.

@Troubelle:

@Kimstu

What wavelength are you even operating on?

Um, mostly around 400-100000 nanometers? Not sure I understand the question.

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I’d be totally fine with the dating default being everyone pays their own way. There could be exceptions. For example, if one person has a lot of money and the other is broke and the wealthy one wants to do something expensive, they should pay and the poor one shouldn’t have to feel guilty about accepting that if they want.

I just hate how the burden always seems to be on women to change the landscape. I have always taken out my card when the check arrives on first dates. Every time, the guy almost always says no, he’ll get the whole thing. These are progressive guys too. I don’t think I’ve ever gone out with a man without knowing at least a little about his political views first. I’m sure if I did go out with a conservative guy he’d actually be offended. If we’re going to change the default for hetero dates from man pays to splitting the bill, men have to actually accept offers from women to split the bill. We can’t change it all ourselves. Yet, when this topic comes up, it’s almost always exclusively about whether or not women are willing to pay for dates.

As usual, when the topic is opposite gender relationships, it’s women who are expected to be on guard and change their behavior to please men and of course the expectations are contradictory so we’re always wrong.

Pie
Pie

@Kimstu

Like it or not, in our deeply capitalist society buying something for somebody else is perceived as giving them a benefit, for which they somehow “owe” you something.

Inability to distinguish between a gift and a downpayment is not a feature of capitalism or capitalists. It is a feature of assholes. You may feel that holding the door open for me is an implicit contract that completes with you getting your dick wet, but you’d be wrong, because you are an asshole, you see. This is the major issue behind nice guys; that feeling that they’re “owed”. You’re not owed shit. And nor is every other asshole out there you’re apologising for.

See that tag at the end of the OP? “men who should not be with women ever”?

Yeah.

CleverForAGirl
CleverForAGirl

*ahem* I did do charm school (ok it was a video course, but I completed THE FUCK out of it) and there is only one proper and appropriate reaction to kimstu.

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

I once had the privilege of listening in while a male colleague gave an after-action-report of a date that had gone disastrously (to his mind) wrong. Amongst the awful things were:

– When he asked after what she did, she waved it off with a reference to “finance”, implying that he wouldn’t understand! (The colleague in question certainly wouldn’t have understood, and he probably knew that.)

– She responded to a bawdy joke by laughing and one-upping it, not letting him control the tempo of the conversation!

– She responded to a second joke by mentioning that she’d done the act in question. This made him realise that she was more experienced than him, which crushed his confidence!

– She displayed clear physical attraction to him, making it clear that any sex would be consensual, thus making him not feel like a conqueror!

– She offered to pay, mentioning that she could afford it. This forced him to notice that she was wearing designer-label clothes and so probably had a lot more money than him, making him feel emasculated!

– When he said he wasn’t feeling good and wanted to go, she asked him for contact details for another date!

The horror, the horror.

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

On a different topic:

@Peevee:
Are those actual modern Miss Manners texts? I’d really like to read something like that.

For example, how does I respond when a bigot mistakes me for Jewish and hurls antisemitic abuse? What’s the correct etiquette when talking to my girlfriend’s husband? What should I do when I get along with someone well and it turns out that they preferred Aliens to Alien?

DanHolme
DanHolme

@WWTH

Genuinely apropros of nothing, but a couple of years ago I was in a town in Germany, at the Christmas market. There was a giant one of those Nutcrackers – it was about thirty feet high. It was positioned in just such a way that it could stare into the window of my room at night. All night. Fortunately I was stopping in a seminary so I had a some kick-ass nuns to protect me if the thing went all ‘Toy Story’ and started moving. But they are nasty looking little fuckers. Nutcrackers, not nuns. The nuns were very nice and made me a little nativity scene out of gummi bears and biscuits. Though one of them made me ride the elevator with her a disturbing amount.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ peevee

Please tell me all those book covers are from your own collection. I’d quite like to imagine you spend hours each day walking with books on your head and practicing how to eat a pear with a fork.

@ generally

Etiquette isn’t really synonymous with manners. It’s more a demonstration of arbitrary codes of conduct to indicate you fit in with a particular social group. Literally it’s your ‘ticket’ into that circle.

A major difference is etiquette can be used to exclude people and make them uncomfortable whereas manners is meant put someone at ease.

So, drinking out of a finger bowl is a breach of etiquette but it might be good manners to do so if makes a pauper feel welcome at the top table.

(Points for anyone who gets that reference)

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

It was mentioned upthread that she recently offered to pay – but someone also hinted that he might not have to accept a simple payment once the suit has been filed?

Is this one of those counterintuitive legal technicality issues? Meaning that if he had any standing, he could now get her to pay not only the $20 restitution but also thousands in court costs? That is, assuming a restitution demand that small won’t get your case automatically dismissed?

Am I making any sense, as an ESL non-lawyer?

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

I’ve always at least tried to pay my own way on a date unless the guy and I were in a relationship. In the interest of not fighting over a bill for hours, I would give up after three tries on any particular date. I started dating in the early 1970s, when this was not done. Practically every time I did it, the server or the ticket seller would say, “Oh! She’s paying your way tonight?”

One reason I fell for my college boyfriend was that he was relaxed about the whole issue. Once we were in a restaurant and he offered to buy me a sandwich. No. Then he said, “Okay, would you buy me a sandwich?” I like a guy who makes me laugh!

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@PeeVee

I see that you have a book by Gay Head!!!1!!

I had one of her books back in junior high. I believe it was called How to Be the Most Popular Girl in Your Class. I never did become the most popular girl, which, if you ask me, is often more about power than about actually being liked — but it was reassuring to read that other girls had the same concerns that I did.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@EJ

I’m no Miss Manners, but I’ve done my best to tackle your questions.

I still get stumped by stuff like this, probably because I’m in shock.

What’s the correct etiquette when talking to my girlfriend’s husband?

This one’s simple. Treat him with disinterested friendliness.

Whoa. I don’t think Miss Manners herself would know what to do in this situation. You’re on your own! Sorry, EJ.

‘I hate the formal rules, though, so my personal policy for gifts is: I give it, I no longer have a say about what happens to it. I receive it, you no longer have a say about what happens to it.’

When I got married my mom gave my then-husband and me a large amount of money as a wedding gift. We used some of it for a honeymoon trip and then split the rest. He used part of his share to buy himself a motorcycle. When my mom found out she was pretty upset, and I had to explain this rule to her (though I’d edit it slightly to account for someone giving a gift and specifically saying ‘I want you to do x with it’–e.g. giving someone money and saying ‘please spend this on yourself and not on bills’)–of course she never told us specifically how she wanted us to use her gift, so how could she justify being upset about S. using it to buy something he wanted? (She didn’t have a problem with motorcycles themselves; I had two at the time and used to take my sister for rides.)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ guest

I’ve been helping a mate out with her brother’s divorce proceedings (normally try to avoid this area, but hey ho). As is not uncommon the parents had contributed to the deposit for a house. As is equally common there ended up being a big row as to whether that was a gift or a loan.

What was particularly funny is the families involved are from a Sikh background. The judge was trying to be all culturally sensitive, but he just kept putting his foot in it.

“Now forgive my ignorance, but was this by way of a dowry?”

“No, we’re in Huddersfield not the Punjab. This was by way of tax avoidance.”

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

…Oh my, and I had most deeply hoped that we would be so blessed as to have etiquette thoroughly mansplained here on this blog! Dreams DO come true!

(Just not the one where mansplainers, trolls, misogynists, seagull-eating MGTOWs and so forth embark on their broken bits of legos-paved road march, never to be heard from again.)

I wonder if it’s the guy from the OP or someone who knows him and shares the same dating philosophy. Probably not, but you never can be sure…

@alan Ha, your comment brings up two things I’d literally never thought of before–first, that my mom may have had a tax benefit from giving us money (I doubt it, she’s as ignorant of finance as I am, but it never occurred to me) and second, which is more plausible, maybe…I wonder if she’d tacitly expected us to spend the money on a house? She certainly never said so, either before or after the motorcycle incident, and it literally occurred to neither of us to do that–I guess partly because although it seemed like a large amount of money to us it wouldn’t have been enough for even a significant part of a down payment on a house in the area we lived. Although my dad’s job was well-paying enough for our family to have owned the houses we lived in when I was growing up, my parents were from a culture that didn’t own real estate; I’m not sure if my mom had internalised suburban homeowning mores enough by that time to have assumed that she was ‘supposed’ to give us money that we were ‘supposed’ to spend on a house, or not–but I don’t know and had never thought about it before.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ guest

In England, you can make an inter vivos gift. Then, so long as you survive for seven years, you don’t have to pay inheritance tax. But of course the argument then became the deposit wasn’t a gift, just a loan (or even buying a %age interest in the house).

A suitably judicial fudge, sorry compromise, was achieved. So the parents don’t get the money back straight away but they now have a ‘charge’ on the property which means they get paid if it’s ever sold.

ETA: of course we’re now having a row about whether one of the exes buying the other out counts as a ‘sale’.

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

@Kat:
Thanks very much for the guidance. I agree that #3 is a toughie; hopefully the world’s experts could come together to agree on a rough set of steps to be used in such a catastrophe.

@guest:
I once gave a friend some money under the condition that it be used to pay rent and not to buy drugs. You can probably guess what happened.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Kimstu is mangling etiquette, btw. The “rule” being cited here is not a real rule.

What Kimstu is probably thinking about here (and misinterpreting) is a pair of rules. The first is that one does not accept gifts from someone if one wants nothing to do with that person. This is not something esoteric – we all know this one, really. The etiquette rule for how to reject the gifts is to refuse them, or return them immediately if they were mailed or delivered, unopened if possible. Offers of hospitality should definitely be refused.

The other is that one doesn’t accept gifts that are of an inappropriate magnitude given the relationship one has with the giver. Again: not something that really needs to be explained for 3 pages. If someone tries to give you a $2000 piece of jewelry on the second date, it is correct to refuse to accept it. If one accepted it anyway (due to being too shocked in the moment to know what to do, for example), one is not required to return it later, but may do so if one feels bad and weird about it. The right way to do this is with the non-explanation, “I’m sorry, but I just can’t accept this,” and repeat as necessary until the giver takes it back (or just have it delivered).

The woman in question here violated neither of these rules, because she didn’t know initially that she didn’t like this guy, and the gift was totally appropriate in magnitude for the first date.

It would be acceptable for her to return his gift after she discovered what a weirdo he is, but not required.

Obviously, the dude is totally wrong in wanting his money back. He asked her out, which makes him obligated to pay for the outing, and it’s super-rude to ask for a gift back in any case. But I don’t notice Kimstu hammering on about this, mysteriously. All the criticism is leveled at her and none at him. I wonder why that could possibly be. Surely misogyny has nothing to do with it!

@Pie:

@Kimstu

Absolutely! And if you’re not an asshole, you generally don’t want to accept a gift from an asshole. And you also don’t want to accept a downpayment from an asshole on an “exchange” you never agreed to participate in.

So what do you do when you’ve accepted a gift or other expenditure on your behalf from someone who then turns out to be an asshole, by revealing that they expect some kind of compensation for what they spent on you?

Some people think that you should just keep what you got and tell the asshole, in effect, “Your loss, asshole, it was technically a gift according to accepted social rules, so I’m keeping it and not repaying you for it”.

But that kind of puts you in the false position of deliberately hanging on to a gift from an asshole. Better to just reject all association with the asshole entirely by returning to them whatever it was they gave/spent on you.

(And to reiterate, of course it’s not in dispute that the asshole’s own behavior in such a situation is by far the worst part, and the root of the whole problem in the first place.)

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

Go back to bed, @Kimstu.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

One thing I find bemusing about MRA types is how often their real world views were previously the stuff of comedy scripts.

Watch from 23:00

Hambeast, disorderly she-tornado and breaker of windows
Hambeast, disorderly she-tornado and breaker of windows

Wow. Go out for an evening, get home late, and come back next morning and look what happens, I miss the troll! No great loss, though.

Ignore Sandra – (from way back on page 2) Oh, nothing to do with generosity! Offering the guy $50 for his silence would be about being able to imagine him trying not to explode while not being able to crow on social or popular media about his big manure-o-sphere-style “win.”

Pie
Pie

@Kimstu

Speaking of which, I believe you owe Hippodameia.

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

@Alan

I dunno, it sort of seems like a lot of those MRA/MGTOW types are lacking the ubiquitous sidekick/friend that comedy scripts feature. 😛 They’re supposedly going their own way, on the internet to bitch about women. I’d feel bad for them if they didn’t set themselves up for the misery they continually experience (and bitch about on the internet).