open thread traitor in chief

The Leaks are Coming From Inside the Trump: Another Trump Open Thread Because JFC

This is fine

So I took a nap and when I woke up the WaPo had reported and other media outlets had confirmed that our Dear Leaker, sorry Leader, had leaked classified info to the Russians at that meeting last week, possibly because he wanted them to know that he’s a BIG BOY now with access to all sorts of secret President stuff! So have at it. Also, maybe I should stop napping. What if my nap CAUSED ALL THIS OH NO.

LindsayIrene, Rioting Werebonobo

The Baffler on Ivanka’s book-like object.

My favorite snark:
It’s feminism for people who’ve been conned into believing that existing in a state of permanent sleep deprivation is the same as being woke.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Probably just as well Trump wasn’t president in WW2.

5 June 1944

Good luck to our boys for tomorrow’s landings in Normandy. We have the best troops.

Weird (Encouraged by the RESISTANCE!!!!) Eddie
Weird (Encouraged by the RESISTANCE!!!!) Eddie

@ LindsayIrene:

Hypocrisy, as in everything the Trumps do, is the whole point.

from Laurie Penny’s piece on the Cylon Fembot’s tome…

thank you!

dreemr
dreemr

@Alan

More great leadership from me as Allies intercept that Enigma machine!

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ dreemr

Troy, 1250BC

That Odysseus is a great guy, one of the best. And hope it doesn’t get too stuffy for you in that horse.

Citizen Rat
Citizen Rat

So it appears that the intelligence Dear Leaker blurted out to the Russians was from Israeli intelligence. This is a conundrum worthy of The Riddler: Will Republicans side with their President or with Israel?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

My racist Trump loving uncle praises him for being the president who will be the savior of Isreal. I told him that literally Nazis love Trump but he doesn’t believe me I guess. I wonder if this news will penetrate his mind at all.

Citizen Rat
Citizen Rat

@weirwoodtreehugger

I honestly doubt it will penetrate his mind. As we speak the entire right-wing spin machine is finding a way for your racist Trump-loving uncle to ignore how the President put a Mossad agent in the cross-hairs.

But hope springs eternal. I recently heard that my racist Fox News-loving aunt has quit watching said channel because she hates Trump.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

The day before this happened, there was a rumour going around on Twitter that Mossad’s been working on the Trump-Russia indictments. What if this wasn’t random stupidity and Trump sicced Iran on them as revenge?

Kivutar
Kivutar

What if this wasn’t random stupidity and Trump sicced Iran on them as revenge?

Trump isn’t smart enough for that. I call Occam’s Razor.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@Kivutar

I dunno, Occam’s Razor hasn’t applied to any other part of this clusterfuck so far. It’s been malice all the way down.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Viscaria

IIRC, back in the primaries many evangelical voters preferred Trump because they thought he would be a “stronger” (ie more authoritarian) leader than any of his more religious fellow candidates.

Also, white evangelicals trend really fucking racist.

Austin Loomis

SFHC, I think it was Brad DeLong who said that, whenever he tried to understand Trump, the stupidest explanation he could think of was usually the one that turned out to be right. (Not a guarantee in this case, just saying I understand where Kivutar’s coming from.)

Yamara

@Kivutar @Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

In Trump America, Occam razor you.

Moggie
Moggie

Austin Loomis:

Josh Marshall calls this “Trump’s Razor”, and has used it a lot.

Yamara

And then there’s this.

Trump leaves for Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, on Friday, then will travel to Israel where his trip is already causing controversy even without his spilling Israel’s secrets to Putin. The announcement that he will say a prayer at the Western Wall created a problem when “during a planning meeting between U.S. and Israeli officials, the Israelis were told that Trump’s visit to the wall was private, Israel did not have jurisdiction in the area and that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was not welcome to accompany Trump there.” The Netanyahu and Trump regimes have been fighting over it for the past two days, apparently.

Again: Trump admin says Israel did not have jurisdiction in the area of the Wailing Wall.

It’s Anything Can Happen Day.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Well, in Trumpland women don’t even have jurisdiction over our own pussies. So why would Israel have jurisdiction over its own wall?

Moggie
Moggie

Trump has jurisdiction over all walls.

Also, when I glanced at “Trump leaves for Riyadh”, I read it as “R’lyeh”, and for a moment I saw nothing unusual about that. The guy is really getting to me.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

Non-euclidian horrors have standard. I doubt even a shoggoth would want to have anything to do with Trump.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Saw someone on TV in the break room at work preaching about how Israel is Yahweh’s chosen nation and that watchers should contact their representatives to demand they don’t act against the chosen people. I’m sure the calls will be pouring in about the wailing wall from the economically anxious

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

“He’s going to the Western Wall mainly in connection with the theme: to connect with three of the world’s great religions — and to pay homage at each of these religious sites that he’s visiting. But also to highlight the theme that we all have to be united against what are really the enemies of all civilized people,” said McMaster.

Considering how much he’s stoked the fires of hatred against one of the great religions, it’s a wonder Trump and his sychophants aren’t afraid of an errant lightning bolt from the sky…

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I’m pretty sure that Chuck Tingle’s Twitter is not absurdist humor, but a depiction of reality. Crabs from the void wearing a skin suit is as good an explanation for Trump as any.

zaunfink
zaunfink

Please don’t. Genital size =/= masculinity or power, and it would be nice if we could stop insinuating it does.

I should have made clearer that I wasn’t equating dick size with power, but assuming that he does and, that even if he had a dick the size of the Eiffel tower, he’d still feel inadequate because he’s just so insecure.

It’s the same thing the mgtows have going on, where they keep babbling about Chad Thundercock and cucking and really, the average person knows its bullshit and really doesn’t matter (dick size, that is) and especially doesn’t say anything about persons worth.

I hope that’s a bit clearer now and also, sorry! Should have made it clearer from the beginning, I’ll try harder.

DMW
DMW

@ everyone

Thanks for engaging with me and letting me… well, basically just rant. It helps a lot to get other people’s input on this. It’s actually pretty comforting, in kind of a weird way.

Tessa
Tessa

Now that the latest Comey stuff dropped, are we going to need a new open thread because wow. What the heck people???

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

People might be interested in this article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/05/16/i-wrote-the-art-of-the-deal-with-trump-his-self-sabotage-is-rooted-in-his-past/?tid=hybrid_experimentrandom_3_na&utm_term=.97f5c277818b#comments

Schwartz’s analysis of Trump:

To survive, I concluded from our conversations, Trump felt compelled to go to war with the world. It was a binary, zero-sum choice for him: You either dominated or you submitted. You either created and exploited fear or you succumbed to it — as he thought his older brother had. This narrow, defensive worldview took hold at a very early age, and it never evolved. “When I look at myself today and I look at myself in the first grade,” he told a recent biographer, “I’m basically the same.” His development essentially ended in early childhood.

From the very first time I interviewed him in his office in Trump Tower in 1985, the image I had of Trump was that of a black hole. Whatever goes in quickly disappears without a trace. Nothing sustains. It’s forever uncertain when someone or something will throw Trump off his precarious perch — when his sense of equilibrium will be threatened and he’ll feel an overwhelming compulsion to restore it. Beneath his bluff exterior, I always sensed a hurt, incredibly vulnerable little boy who just wanted to be loved.

Trump’s older brother, Fred Jr., became an alcoholic and died at 42. Trump sees him as having not been able to stand up to their father, while he himself is still fighting back against the old man. In other words, we have a desperately insecure person in charge of the fate of the world, in contrast to Obama, who despite having come from a racist society still always seemed to feel comfortable in his own skin.

numerobis
numerobis

Spewing secrets to the russians is so yesterday’s news. Tonight’s big scandal: Comey wrote memos detailing what happened in his meetings with Trump. Trump was asking him to let Flynn off the hook and to stop investigating him.

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Tessa, numerobis – Huh. Even if he wasn’t trying to bribe Comey or something, it’s still an obvious misuse of influence. Corrupt Washington elites, right, Trump?

Standard White House procedure these days seems to be to deny now, explain later.

Betrayer
Betrayer

Prime Minister Erdoğan sent his bodyguards out to attack peaceful protestors on US soil.

A foreign leader’s thugs are attacking Americans inside our border. Someone was arrested for assaulting a police officer, it doesn’t say who but I suspect it was one of the hired thugs assaulting people rather than a peaceful protester.

So, we can expect the #AmericaFirst freeze peach warriors to jump in and demand retribution for this, right? Or will they stand idly by while a foreign leader tries to silence American free speech?

I know which one my money’s on.

Pie
Pie

@Kivutar

Trump isn’t smart enough for that. I call Occam’s Razor.

@Moggie

Josh Marshall calls this “Trump’s Razor”, and has used it a lot.

I’ve heard this one referred to as Hanlon’s Razor, but the idea goes waaaay back.

DanHolme
DanHolme

@Alan Robertshaw

Re: ‘Good luck to our boys..’

And I now have a coffee-covered surface. Thanks for that!

Moggie
Moggie

Pie, Trump’s Razor is like Hanlon’s Razor on steroids.

Hanlon’s Razor says “never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity”. But with Trump, stupidity is a given, and the question is always: just how stupid?

Josh Marshall’s first expression of his principle went something like: with Trump, the stupidest possible scenario which can be reconciled with the available facts is usually correct.

In other words:

With Bush, the frequent question was: malice, or stupidity?

With Trump, the question every day is: stupidity, or holy shit, can this guy even read?

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Rep. Al Green (D-Houston) has called for the impeachment of POTUS due to obstruction of justice.

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

Just in case anyone would like to stay up to date on the Trump coverage over at the Beaverton:

Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump

@zaunfink: Ah! Yes, of course. That makes perfect sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain. 🙂

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Like fuckin clockwork. Again!
The revolution berns on! For fuck’s actual sake…

dreemr
dreemr

After a couple of days of depression there – and yes, it is the “looks lazy, feels blank and empty” kind, I’m kind of pulling out of it, but this whole shitshow has a lot to do with it.

And what the actual FUCK?

I don’t know if I’m dreading Drumpf’s overseas trip or kind of morbidly looking forward to it. Rumors are that he himself is dreading it, which makes me happy. Whatever makes him uncomfortable.

@GrumpyOld SJM – I read that article and a similar one a while back and it does make perfect sense. Drumpf is a case study in arrested development (I hope that isn’t against the comments policy? If it is, I apologize profusely and will take it back). I do not feel sorry for him because by age 70 he should have figured out some ways to cope with some of this that don’t involve destroying people around him.

And now King Baby whines about how unfairly he’s treated at a graduation address. How self-centered can one person be?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I seem to remember some prominent Trump supporter or other defending the pussy grabbing incident as a youthful indiscretion. I mean, come on, he’s a grandfather. Youthful? It’s pretty telling though. Even the people who like him on some level know he’s immature.

dr. ej
dr. ej

Robert Mueller has been appointed as a special prosecutor for the Trump/Russia investigation!

numerobis
numerobis

PI: who’s Al Green?

dr ej: It’s official:

Robert Swan Mueller III (born August 7, 1944) is an American attorney who was the sixth Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation from September 4, 2001 to September 4, 2013. Mueller is the special counsel overseeing the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 United States elections.

Republican named by various GOP presidents. Has told a GOP president to get stuffed regarding wiretapping. Worked with Comey. Interesting…

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

It’s about time the bloody DoJ got off their ass. Jeez.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@numerobis

Representative from Houston, TX.

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

comment image

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Al Green is calling for impeachment in Congress.

Ooglyboggles

@numerobis
Must. Temper. Expections. Kind of hard not to.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

Drumpf wants to spend all of fifteen minutes at Yad Vashem. I hope the Israelis won’t let him in the building.

The revolution berns on! For fuck’s actual sake…

Yep.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Moggie

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile:

Seriously, TeenVogue? A Conde Nast publication? I guess that Conde Nast got the message: Young people today are worried that life on this planet will end. Maybe during their lifetime. They need a different kind of magazine.

And yet they don’t turn out to fucking vote. In November, the turnout of 18-29 year-olds was a little over 40%, compared to over 70% for people aged 60+. I’m not going to shake my cane angrily at “millennials”, but I wish they voted more.

That’s okay, I’ll shake my metaphorical cane angrily at them.

Also at women. Far too many of us voted for Trump. Damn it!

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@GrumpyOldSocialJusticeMangina

Schwartz’s analysis of Trump:

To survive, I concluded from our conversations, Trump felt compelled to go to war with the world. It was a binary, zero-sum choice for him: You either dominated or you submitted. . . .

Yep. Hurt, vulnerable people who don’t do any work on themselves can be very, very dangerous.

Valentine
Valentine

Oh. Oh dear. Lavrov is a cancer but still what a nice excuse for ppl to fill my twitter with херня about ‘the russians’n ‘rysskies’ etc etc red scare red scare. I said myself i wouldn’t post on posts of this but…
I hope Trump washed his hands after. He might caught communism. -_-

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

From the responses at article about shortening the amount of time at the holocaust centre:

Remember, liberals are the ones who brag endlessly how they tolerate diversity. That is, until Donald Trump — or someone else who disagrees with them — comes along. What they really mean is, you are supposed to tolerate their diversity, but they don’t have to tolerate yours.

I’m interested if this person thinks that being an anti-semite is a way to be diverse? Like… Really? If people who sexually assault other people, like trump, are the real misunderstood people?

Some days you read ridiculous shit like this and can’t even.