open thread traitor in chief

The Leaks are Coming From Inside the Trump: Another Trump Open Thread Because JFC

This is fine

So I took a nap and when I woke up the WaPo had reported and other media outlets had confirmed that our Dear Leaker, sorry Leader, had leaked classified info to the Russians at that meeting last week, possibly because he wanted them to know that he’s a BIG BOY now with access to all sorts of secret President stuff! So have at it. Also, maybe I should stop napping. What if my nap CAUSED ALL THIS OH NO.

dreemr

What in the holy fucking hell?

My face every fucking day now:

comment image

dreemr

Is anyone even running the country? It seems everyone is hiding in their office right now, only the sounds of screaming behind closed doors.

Spicer, Huckabee-Sanders, Bannon, and Dubke were all reported screaming at each other in an office, so much so that they turned up a TV so reporters outside couldn’t make out what they were yelling.

Republicans can’t possibly go on glossing over this man’s behavior – yet I am sure there are yet-unimagined depths of moral bankruptcy to which they are willing if not eager to sink in order to excuse him.

Hello, Speaker Ryan? Senator McConnell? Anything to say?

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

My favorite quote on this shit is from Senator Risch defending Trump revealing classified info to the Russians: “It’s no longer classified the minute he utters it.” Therefore, not illegal.

Are you even fucking kidding me?

And it’s so classified, it wasn’t even shared with our allies! But he gave the position of our intel gathering source on ISIS. IN SYRIA. TO THE FUCKING RUSSIANS.

This fucking joke must go. He must GO.

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

You know, that Jesus Freak white woman who was saying that we’re all actually in hell right now in the post David made about the Alt-Right mourning the French elections?

She may actually be on to something.

Because, like.

This is unimaginably horrible. I knew things were going to get this bad, though.

dreemr

According to most of the reports I’ve seen, it probably isn’t illegal, technically, for pretty much the reason you cite.

That doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. And pretty much everyone knows exactly how this went down.

Kislyak: “Oh hey, Don, nice office, no corners to hide in, har har. But your ISIL intelligence is just terrible.”

Drumpf: “What? No it isn’t! I have the best intel, the BEST!”

Lavrov: “Oh, no, good friend! Is well known, Amerikans have worst intel. Russian intel FAR superior. Everyone knows.”

Drumpf: “No way. There’s just – there’s no way. I get the best – I have the best briefings. The best intel. Stuff you never imagined!”

Lavrov: “There, there, Donnie, is no shame! Great Russian intelligence is just superior, is all. You probably know nothing about Syria. We know all about Syria.”

etc.

A fast-talking 3rd grader could get state secrets out of Drumpfie.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Anyone else see the similarities?

comment image

Seriously. Trump and Joffery are both examples of what happen when you give a spoiled brat with a giant ego and no sense of empathy absolute power. He’s the affluenza president.

He should be impeached and charged with treason. I know it’s not going to happen, but goddamn.

IgnoreSandra
IgnoreSandra

“It’s no longer classified the minute he utters it.”

“When the president does it, it’s not illegal.”

This isn’t watergate though. At Watergate, Congress gave a damn that laws were broken.

At this point, I’ve completely lost faith in America’s political process, and am developing an ugly appreciation for the concept of an armed revolution. Preferably velvet, but powerful enough that it could win if it gets bloody.

For Congress’ sake, I hope they fix America’s problem with conservatives and reactionaries, and quickly. This isn’t a threat. This is my reading of America’s political spectrums.

Bina

The leaks are coming from inside Der Drumpf. Which would explain the gassy smell wafting out of Washington, no doubt…

Ooglyboggles

If Obama did this you’d bet there’d be investigations upon investigation by the GOP. Literal treason, use of government to illegally gain funds, I’d mention more but it’d take forever. Can we get the unintended side effect of the GOP using the Monkey’s Paw like right now?

Cause if this Tom Clancy bullshit keeps going on there’s going to be alot of things getting broken and can’t be fixed.

Faerie Bard
Faerie Bard

But…But HER EMAIIIIIIIIILS!!!

Fucking Hell…

iknklast
iknklast

Has everyone forgotten….Benghazi? /s

This is getting scary. Fasten your seatbelts, everyone, it’s going to be a bumpy ride.

History Nerd
History Nerd

The POTUS has the authority to declassify information. So Trump probably didn’t commit a crime, but he can still be impeached, since he possibly violated his oath of office.

If it’s true that he declassified the information because he was carelessly boasting to Russian officials, the matter is exceptionally serious. It’s clear, at the very least, that Trump isn’t qualified for his job and acts impulsively without considering the consequences of his actions.

Betrayer
Betrayer

Meanwhile, all FOX is talking about is Hillary Clinton starting some new political action group.

Yaaay.

zaunfink
zaunfink

Trump’s subsequent admission that his decision (to fire comey) was driven by “this Russia thing” was seen by critics as attempted obstruction of justice.

Wait what.
He…. He fires a guy to make investigations stop and then ADMITS it? That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of. Seriously.
That’s basic villainy 101….

How did a person this idiotic get that rich and president? I mean, you have to have some skill for business success, don’t you?

I feel so sorry for you all and for everyone having to work with him on a daily basis.

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

Trump inherited his money. His current estimated net worth is lower than what he would have if he’d just put the money in the bank as soon as he inherited it, meaning that Trump is terrible at being a businessman.

IBH Ardipithecus
IBH Ardipithecus

“I get great intel. I have people brief me on great intel every day,”

Holy crap.

What is worse: A president who is willfully malignant, or hopelessly and dangerously incompetent? Never mind, you don’t have to choose.

Commiserations from Rightpondia

zaunfink
zaunfink

That actually doesn’t surprise me at all…. Explains everything. And still people are dumb enough to vote for him.

I get great Intel.

Why not just wear a flashing neon sign stating “I am brutally insecure about my worth, dick size and people’s perception of me. I also validate my existence exclusively via outside input and have the mental growth of a 5 year old boy.”

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Every time I think Trump has hit rock bottom, he gets out a bigger jackhammer.

Moggie
Moggie

Maybe you could reduce his dangerous boasting by giving him a throne and crown. And a raised dais? If he had the whole medieval king thing going, he would have less need to remind everyone how powerful he is. You’d still need to prevent him from traveling, though: can you imagine what he’ll be like meeting foreign leaders on their own turf?

It’s been reported before that intelligence agencies in other countries have been concerned about sharing intel with the US under Trump, and this pretty much vindicates that concern.

MPG
MPG

This looks for all the world like he’s trying to get impeached. I can’t tell if he’s actually that calculating (he certainly doesn’t come across that way), but if it came to a choice between continuing as POTUS for another three-and-bit years and losing at the next election (and Trump NEVER loses) and being “unfairly” ousted by denizens of the swamp he promised to drain, I suspect he relishes the prospect of dining out for life on the “poor, persecuted me” card.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

How come the republicans aren’t up in flame about that ?

Oh, yes. They have neither spine nor ideology. They aren’t even consistent in their horrible belief.

DMW
DMW

I keep wondering how Republican senators and assorted congresspeople can stay so quiet when he does things like this. I always end up assuming that they must think speaking out against him will make them look bad, especially after they made the choice to spinelessly bow down to Trump after he was confirmed as their candidate in order to try and gain some quick political capital. But if that were the case, right, and they thought contradicting or criticizing the president would hurt their reputation so they’re just trying to preserve their public image… what do they imagine is going to happen the longer they wait?

Because sitting quietly in his shadow and nodding approvingly while he stumbles from error to error is just asinine. After every mistake and every blunder, they just make a few supportive/evasive/vaguely hostile noises at the press and then get ready to rinse and repeat the whole process the next time the president tries to fuck something to pieces.

How do they gain anything in the long term by letting someone like this be the face of their entire party? Do they really feel like he’s going to be a benefit to them or their constituents in any significant way or are they just burying their heads in the sand as deeply as possible? I don’t get you, senators, I really don’t. You really going to let this impending wreck happen? Or does it not matter who gets caught up in the ensuing blast as long as you have some shady little bushes to hide in? (Oh excuse me, among.)

/venting

GiJoel
GiJoel

@dmv because you have a gerrymander political system that places greater value on party loyalty than loyalty to the nation. This clusterfuck has been building for forty years now. Why are we surprised?

Pie
Pie

@DMW

So long as he doesn’t do anything actually unacceptable to the republican base, like fucking an underaged boy, and so long as he occasionally does the sorts of things they want him to, they’re happy to let him go ahead. Ultimately, they’re the ones holding all the cards, and when the time comes to get rid of him, they can do it and be seen as the good guys, the voices of reason. All the shit he has done and will do will stick to him, and they’ll wiggle out neatly from underneath and get away clean and free.

Pie
Pie

@David

What if my nap CAUSED ALL THIS OH NO.

Speaking of supernatural powers, I wonder if mikey is about to transform into a being of pure energy, able to curse democrats with debilitating illnesses at will.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

Resistbot turns your texts into faxes and sends them to your elected representatives for free.

I haven’t used them, but that radical mag TeenVogue likes them. Good enough for me!

Seriously, TeenVogue? A Conde Nast publication? I guess that Conde Nast got the message: Young people today are worried that life on this planet will end. Maybe during their lifetime. They need a different kind of magazine.

Resistbot Turns Your Texts Into Faxes to Elected Officials
Find out how a new service turns texts into faxes to senators and representatives, to help users make their voices heard.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@dreemr

Sounds about right.

Although the details of Trump’s reign repeatedly stun me, the horror of it is what I anticipated.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

Why did Donald Trump’s attorney tweet a picture of his daughter in a bra?
Michael Cohen faced a flurry of replies after posting a controversial picture of his daughter

Why? As Donald Trump said in another context, you’ll have to draw your own conclusions.

DMW
DMW

@ GiJoel

Man, don’t I know it. I live in North Carolina, where the court declared our districts so hopelessly gerrymandered that they were actually illegal… but then told us to go ahead an use them anyway during the election, and they’d try to redraw them afterwards. Big surprise Trump won here after that, right? This fucking state, I swear. As for party loyalty, I know we can get borderline fanatical about it. Just seems odd to me that the Republicans would actually claim him as one of their own even though he contradicts what they claim are their party values all the time. (Especially religious members… really, y’all, you thought he was a godly man?) I just can’t imagine what it’d take before they go, “Yeah… he’s not with us, he just ran as a Republican because he knew nobody would vote third party.” Instead it’s, “Yes, that man is our party’s leader and we’re going to defend literally everything he does no matter how catastrophic.”

@ Pie

Ugh… probably, yeah. I’d like to think the public wouldn’t accept that “oh, we’re not responsible for anything he screwed up” kind of weaselly deflection, and actually hold them accountable for allowing his shitty decisions to go unchallenged… but I’m not holding my breath. Conservatives seem willing to forgive almost anything if it means keeping their representatives in power and stepping on the kind of people they hate a little longer.

dreemr

The Republican Congress does and says almost nothing because as long as Drumpf is in the Executive office, they are completely in power.

And that’s the bottom line for them and their corporate overlords: to be and stay in power for as long as possible.

TBH I don’t see or hear the Dems raising a whole lot of fuss, either, but then again they hardly ever do. And I don’t know what they’d do in the face of the same situation; I wouldn’t want to take bets on it.

To me and a lot of regular human beings with consciences and senses of integrity, etc., it seems surreal that this kind of thing can be ignored or sanctioned; yet to my endless shock it is, daily.

There’s a story going around right now about how Kellyanne Conway said, after performing one of her many, many spin jobs for der Drumpf, that she “had to take a shower” afterwards since she couldn’t stand the man. For all I know, a lot of Republicans and administration staffers feel the same way, but to me it excuses NOTHING. Even those of us among the working poor have enough self-respect that we won’t work for someone who demands that we go out daily and compromise our own morals and principles for them. No sympathy.

Tuesday should be interesting.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

DMW,

It seems to me like the religious right prioritizes sexism and misogyny over godliness. That is, the former is the real draw. Just look at the hero worship over Reagan. He wasn’t religious and Nancy was into psychics and astrology. I doubt they care about Trump’s religiosity. Not as long as he wants to subjugate the same people they do.

Moggie
Moggie

DMW:

Especially religious members… really, y’all, you thought he was a godly man?

Doesn’t matter. Evangelicals, at least, seem to be pretty much single-issue voters now. As long as a candidate promises to roll back women’s reproductive freedoms, he could pledge allegiance to Gozer the Gozerian on live TV and they’d still vote for him.

Rhuu
Rhuu

@zaunfink

“I am brutally insecure about my worth, dick size

Please don’t. Genital size =/= masculinity or power, and it would be nice if we could stop insinuating it does.

Viscaria the Cheese Hog
Viscaria the Cheese Hog

DMW

(Especially religious members… really, y’all, you thought he was a godly man?)

IIRC, back in the primaries many evangelical voters preferred Trump because they thought he would be a “stronger” (ie more authoritarian) leader than any of his more religious fellow candidates.

Pie
Pie

@Rhuu

And yet it is relevant in this context. Trump has, after all, done a fair bit of public insinuation on this very subject.

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

At this point, I am really afraid that if he were impeached he would burn the country down out of sheer spite. The narcissistic injury would be too great for him to go quietly.

Re: evangelicals, they deluded themselves into thinking whatever they needed to think in order to not vote for Clinton.

Re: most GOP members have long been all about party before country. And now, when their fearless leader is doing more damage to the GOP than he is to the nation (at least that we know about), they find that they’ve painted themselves into the proverbial corner with nowhere to go.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

Ohlmann wrote:

Actually, they’ve been remarkably consistent in one core belief for decades now:

If a Democrat does it, it’s tyranny, treason, and absolute evil, but if a Republican does it, it’s courageous, patriotic, and absolute good.

Please note that “it” can be the exact same fucking thing.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

…but remember, kids: conservatives think moral relativism is bad!

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell:

“I read the Washington Post story and I read General McMasters response, which tends to refute the story, rebut the story. I think we could do with a little less drama from the White House on a lot of things so that we can focus on our agenda, which is deregulations, tax reform, repealing and replacing Obamacare.”

Original quote here.

I’ve called my Senators, and I’m about to cry. I just feel so helpless. I keep asking, “What’s it going to take?” and the answer seems to be that there is no answer, that we’re just going to have to suffer until November 2018 which is a loooong way off.

And that’s IF we can even get people out to vote the Republicans out of power, and then another big IF it will even do any good.

I want to give up but I don’t even know what that would mean. There’s nowhere to go. Trudge on, I suppose, keep fighting a lost fight.

Faerie Bard
Faerie Bard

(Especially religious members… really, y’all, you thought he was a godly man?)

I have had several (very religious/Southern Baptist) family members try to justify their support by “explaining” to me how Trumpster was a “baby Christian” and that the Lord was using him, and that he would be miraculously transformed to work miracles in His name. *barfs* Needless to say, I have yet to see any evidence of such. (unless God is an asshole too.)

Interestingly enough, they get all offended when you try to tell them that Der Dump isn’t acting like a Christian at all, and HOW DARE YOU QUESTION HIS FAITH! So you’re not allowed to even question THAT. *siiiigh*

@Faerie Bard – gross.

Moggie
Moggie

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile:

And yet they don’t turn out to fucking vote. In November, the turnout of 18-29 year-olds was a little over 40%, compared to over 70% for people aged 60+. I’m not going to shake my cane angrily at “millennials”, but I wish they voted more.

Citizen Rat
Citizen Rat

I agree that while Dear Leaker allows Republicans to screw with the kind of people Republicans hate (minorities, women, poor people, etc.), they will excuse anything. I mean, that’s why they have the 24/7 propaganda channel that is Fox News and their Very Serious People on the other news networks.

I am genuinely afraid for the future of not just the US but of the whole world.

booburry

Dreemr, I don’t know how you can honestly say the Democrats aren’t “raising much of a fuss”. They are. A lot of them. Frequently.

dreemr

Well, @booburry, your judgement of my honesty aside, YMMV on the topic of Democrats raising a fuss, obviously.

JS
JS

No more of a fuss than “BUTT HER EMALES!” Republicans. I didn’t really mind them doing such things, people are still welcome to protest peacefully, thanks Bill of Rights!

If you truly feel strongly enough about an issue to protest, go ahead. I’d rather the alt-righters didn’t, but that’s more of a “troll/hate group” than any of the moderate demo/repub protestors ever were.

Moggie
Moggie

dreemr, I’m sure several Dem fingers will be sternly wagged. They may even write a letter!

dreemr

@Moggie – that made me laugh, thank you.

dashapants
dashapants

Well I was shocked and surprised… that he hadn’t tweeted it first.

1 2 3