alt-right andrea hardie anti-Semitism antifeminism antifeminist women ironic nazis judgybitch literal nazis racism

Andrea “JudgyBitch” Hardie dons Nazi t-shirt in an attempt to prove who the hell knows what

Hey, look at meeee!

Apparently our old friend Andrea “JudgyBitch” Hardie — oft-banned antifeminist Twitter “activist” and alt-right hanger-on — was once again feeling a bit ignored by the internet, so she bought herself a Nazi t-shirt and made a lovely video.

Despite the video’s deliberately provocative title (“Hello Fourth Reich!”), this is one of the duller “provocative” videos you’re likely to encounter on the YouTubes — at least until Hardie puts on her swastika t-shirt roughly three-quarters of the way in.

Hardie begins the video wearing a different t-shirt entirely — one adorned with the Rising Sun flag of Imperial Japan. Over the course of the first half of the video she offers a rambling, ignorant and often nonsensical take on the issue of populism — or at least the oversimplified and completely ahistorical caricature of populism she’s got bouncing around in her head.

Her main point, insofar as she has one, seems to be that anyone who’s critical of the current outbreak of “populism” is “sneering at the idea that common, ordinary, everyday people are the best people to identify what the problems in their own lives are.”

Well, no. Demagogues like Donald Trump and Marine Le Pen may claim the label of populism, but they are in fact racist right-wing autocrats who really aren’t much interested in democracy at all. “Populism” has, historically, always had a dark nativist streak to it, suffused with anti-Semitism and what historian Richard Hofstadter called the “paranoid style” of politics.

But let’s not linger too long on the history of actual populism, because we haven’t even gotten to the real point of the video, which is that Nazi t-shirt.

Hardie starts the t-shirt portion of the video by pretending to be shocked that the Rising Sun t-shirt she’s wearing isn’t likely to elicit the same outrage as a t-shirt festooned with a swastika — even though the Japanese military forces flying that flag did all sorts of truly horrible shit over the course of many years, from the Rape of Nanking to Pearl Harbor.

But those who wear Rising Sun t-shirts in public aren’t generally going to get accused of supporting any of these terrible things. To most people, Hardie declares, the Rising Sun is nothing more than a “fun meme,” and it turns out that’s just fine with her.

“What i want to know,” she asks, “why is this shirt ok, why is the Rising Sun ok, but” — she dons her Nazi t-shirt — “this shirt is not?”

This is a question that could actually lead to an interesting discussion. Why is the Rising Sun, at least here in North America, seen by most though definitely not all people as a rather innocent cultural symbol — much as the Confederate flag was back in the day when it flew unprotested from every southern state capital and adorned the top of the Dukes of Hazzard’s beloved creek-jumping car? Will perceptions of the Rising Sun change, much as they have for the Confederate flag?

But instead Hardie offers a rambling rant even more incoherent than the rant on populism in the first chunk of her video.

After informing us that the Nazis “were socialists; hey Bernie Sanders, hi” she indignantly asks why it’s considered “not ok” for people to wear Nazi shirts, so much so that YouTube probably “won’t let me monetize this video because of this shirt.”

Maybe because most people rightly connect Nazi symbolism with the Nazis and their hateful history? Maybe because virtually everyone who adorns themselves with Nazi symbols is either an actual Nazi or some other related kind of hateful shit? (Or perhaps the ghost of Sid Vicious.)

But Hardie has another theory, albeit one that makes no fucking sense whatsoever: Apparently people get mad about swastikas because they want to demonize true populists who stand up for the people! By “weaponizing the swastika” these evil liberal lefty anti-populists try to make ordinary people look bad!

I’m not even going to try to transcribe this portion of Hardie’s rant; I’m afraid it might damage my brain. Just watch. The video below should start at the beginning of her, er, explanation, a little more than 15 minutes in. Watch for the next two minutes or so, if you can manage it. Feel free to stop when she starts talking about Pepe the frog. Or if your head literally explodes.

Shortly after her Pepe digression, Hardie informs her viewers that

everyone, at the end of the day, is a stupid violent brute. Everyone. Violence is the only truth.

Huh. That sounds an awful lot like something a Nazi would say.

The only question to her is who controls this violence — evil leftists who actually hate the people, or

the common ordinary people who think, you know what, some of us is dumb assholes and, you know what, those are the first ones we’re gonna shoot. The people have a unique way of taking care of business.

That’s human history. That’s all of human history.

Er, there are are forms of government that don’t involve whatever group is in power just going out and shooting everyone they don’t like.

And all the swastikas in the world aren’t going to change that.

No. They’re going to make that sort of thing more likely. That’s why most people FUCKING HATE NAZIS. That’s why people tend to get mad when idiots put on Nazi shirts and make videos defending other idiots who put on Nazi shirts.

If you need to clear your head a little after watching that video, this might help.

Steampunked
Steampunked

I feel a bit…I’m not sure. Out of…culture? About the Antifa thing. I was clubbing in the 90s when there were still guys who’d been in the punk wars going – AND the skins who were fascists AND the skins who were antifa, though the former were massively more prominent. For a while, I was more of a ‘black and white punk’ than a goth.

The rule was: You don’t abide fascists. For many reasons, but one was that they occupied the same physical spaces as us. Let in some and soon there were more, and they would REALLY ramp up the violence against minorities, expecially women. They grew bold only in numbers, but once they were in they were spitting on alternative women for not fucking them and deliberately trying to start fights. The moment they thought they outnumbered you, off they fucking went. And because the alternative scene was a home for weirdos, it felt worse – our safe space invaded by FUCKING NAZIS.

So I’ve been in violent and close scenarios between the gender diverse goths and the anarchists and punks and skins. I’ll ALWAYS trust a punk – I got rescued by some once. I’ll always trust goths because I’ve been grabbed from above and physically lifted out of a confrontation that exploded around me by some when an idiot smashed a bottle and went to slash a punk guy who was just drinking. I’ve also mmmmostly seen any violence resolved by sitting on someone until police could get there. Not always, but people don’t want to kill these idiots, they want them to go away.

Fascists can’t be tolerated. They can fuck off. Peacefully, at first, and other methods if that doesn’t work, because once they get in, they come back in ever bigger numbers. They accumulate in the shadows and weird places and those places have people like me who need them to deal with being an oddball.

Fascists and neo-nazis have a fetish for conformity and cruelty and then get shitty when people don’t play with it in the cracks of the world.

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

Visitors to this site may remember the thread about NH State Rep. Robert Fisher, founder of the Red Pill subreddit. “https://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2017/04/25/the-daily-beast-takes-on-the-creepy-republican-politician-who-founded-the-red-pill-subreddit/#more-27481”

Mr. Fisher found himself on a (one hopes) rather uncomfortable hot seat in the legislature yesterday.

A dozen state representatives and voters urged lawmakers to take action against Rep. Robert Fisher on Tuesday, warning that the Republican’s involvement in a misogynistic online forum feeds into a derogatory culture toward women and may promote abuse.

“We have a representative in our House who invites and incites a community that degrades women, minimizes sexual assault and unabashedly contributes to the rape culture we should be changing,” Democratic Rep. Debra Altschiller said at a public hearing on Fisher’s behavior. “He must be held responsible.”

Fisher of Laconia has been under fire since the Daily Beast reported that he was behind a men’s rights forum known for its comments degrading women, questioning female intelligence and denying rape. Tuesday’s hearing marked the first time the public and Fisher could respond to allegations in an open forum.

In brief opening remarks, Fisher said he doesn’t “hate women” and denied a new report that he still oversees the Reddit forum – known as “The Red Pill.”

“Several years ago I made some injudicious statements regarding women and my frustrations with dating,” said Fisher, now in his second two-year term. “Some of the views that have been alleged here are certainly not reflective of what I stand for and what I have done in my time here in Concord.”

For the whole article: “http://www.concordmonitor.com/robert-fisher-defends-himself-in-legislative-hearing-9751113”

Hu's On First
Hu's On First
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@Joe, thanks for the comfort, @Alan, thanks for the advice but it’s not quite what I mean.

It’s not a bump. It’s like…I think the gums are retracting and revealing more of the tooth. The part that isn’t supposed to be revealed.

It feels rough, and kinda…with a ridge in the middle that’s sore if I bump it.

I’m just paranoid that my teeth are falling out after years of freaking at the taste of toothpaste. (Damn you, high functioning autism.)

ETA, @Grumpy

Welp. There’s a news, alright. A news that we deserve.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ troubelle

Hmm, you might want to read up on something called gingival recession.

(used to do legal work for a dentist and we’d swap work stories)

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Linax54

THIS is why I started to hate this site and feminism. Seriously if you BELIEVE preventing islam to grow is anti-democratic you are just an idiot.

Then you had a misunderstanding of feminism from the start.

We’re not in the business of banning religions.

We’re all about women’s rights.

@Alan

Much obliged.

(Now I just have to hope this can be unfucked without my mother trying to make me pay for it…Fuck non-universal healthcare, man.)

ETA: Quick Google search that my lack of care in the past is only one potential factor. It may also have to do with me recently switching to an electric toothbrush and going too hard, and puberty is still a thing that is happening to me (maybe has to do with my sweat production spiking…or at least, the two share a root cause).

But obviously, I’m pinning it on my lack of care causing gingivitis. The other stuff just Isn’t Helping.

Great. I’m a clusterfuck.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

Aaaaaand ONE MORE THING: I have a slight overbite, and my teeth are awfully crooked. THAT certainly isn’t my fault, and at the same time…it’s a bad.

At least I have a dentist appointment in order for summer…Hopefully, it isn’t too late.

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

Grumpy:

A follow up by the Daily Beast on it, with evidence he never really left TRP:

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Troubelle
Major overbite, crooked as the Trump adminstration, ‘off white’ would be a condescensing ‘compliment’. One in the front is outright broken, and the last of my doubles (an extra tooth growing outta the same place as another) fucked off only a few years ago. Yep, no dental will do that to ya

Anyway, good luck on your appointment. Plenty of kids got braces in high school, so it’s probably not too late. Don’t wind up like meeee. Save yourseeelf 😛

numerobis
numerobis

Remember to floss.

My childhood dentist argued that if you were running late, you should floss and skip the brushing. It’s far more important. Brushing is largely cosmetic.

@Axe

Geez. That sure sounds like a bad time of it.

I’ll be sure to try and remember to mention the overbite for the appointment.

Word of advice I can, though: white teeth ain’t natural, anyway. Peroxide on my or your teeth is just gonna make their actual health worse.

(inb4 someone quote-mines the comments section and removes “teeth” from this statement made from this woman(?) who is white…pink?)

@numerobis

I’ll keep that in mind. Unfortunately, I have a filling between two teeth, and attempting to floss that A. always results in bleeding and pain and B. always trashes the flosser because it gets stuck on the silver.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Troubelle

Geez. That sure sounds like a bad time of it

Actually no. I was being self deprecating for effect. It’s all true, but I quite like my teeth. They’ve got character. The overbite especially, wouldn’t give it up for anything. Had issues as a kid, but now? I’m self conscious about a lot, but my chompers ain’t really among them. Do definitely hope it goes well for you at the dentist’s tho. And hope your mouth bones end up exactly as you want em 🙂

Mom keeps tryna push it on me. No thanks!

joekster (bearded beta)
joekster (bearded beta)

@Axcalibur: sorry to hear about your teeth. That’s really rough.

@Troubelle: My trouble with flossing was always difficulty with actually manipulating the floss, but I just invested in a pack of those plastic flossers (the ones that hold a single length of floss between them), so we’ll see how that works.

As long as we’re sharing dental horror stories, I do have an overbite, and although I never needed braces, I did get to sleep with a retainer and a facemask for several years. The really bad story, though, is when I was on my clinical years. I developed a cavity sometime in August (I blame the obscene amounts of coffee and soda I was consuming to stay awake), and by the time I got around to seeing a dentist for it, it was November, and the thing had developed into a full blown abscess. Good times.

joekster (bearded beta)
joekster (bearded beta)

Oh, and agreed about the peroxide. They whiten your teeth, but paradoxically weaken them.

numerobis
numerobis

I have remnants of braces cement, or calcified plaque, not sure, which shreds cotton floss to bits most uncomfortably. I use Glide, which is nylon, instead. Sod the environment, I’ll have good teeth..

Bleeding is pretty normal. It stops before long. Stop flossing a few weeks and it’ll bleed when you start again.

Or, if it doesn’t, ask the advice of your dentist.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

plastic flossers (the ones that hold a single length of floss between them)

They’re great. You can also get tiny brushes on wires; like a scaled down toilet brush and little wooden almost blades. They’re very effective in the gaps near the base of your teeth.

ETA: the advice I’ve had off a few dentists is if gums bleed then, perhaps paradoxically, clean and floss even more.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

(Hey all, uhm, apologies for embarrassing myself during my drunken ragefit last week. o_O;; I ended up taking an unplanned but much-needed break from the Internet, spent the week working through my guilt for letting my previous pacifism destroy the world on my bloody watch and discussing violence’s necessity in fighting fascism with fictional characters playing waaay too much Fallout 4, and am feeling infinitely better now. Will start catching up on threads!)

re: plastic flossers

Already got ’em and they’re a godsend, LEMME TELL YA.

@Axe

I hope my ma doesn’t try that shit on me…I’ll be sure to tell her it’s her own damn money.

@Joe

Yikes. That…that right there is a horror story.

@numerobis

I’ll look for Glide, and the bleeding is more common between molars (the gapped teeth are molars…) but not universal. Gums still bleed when I brush, though.

Paradoxical Intention: Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Now that I’m home from work, and the child upstairs is thumping up and down the hallway and I’m doing laundry, this seems like the perfect time to break up this Wall-O-Text and get to some troll thumping!

comment image

Linax54 | May 10, 2017 at 10:36 am
”but they are in fact racist right-wing autocrats who really aren’t much interested in democracy at all” THIS is why I started to hate this site and feminism.

Sure, because you certainly have a lot of credibility here considering this is your first time posting under this nym (otherwise you wouldn’t have been in moderation).

And if all it takes to make you “hate this site and feminism” is us pointing out that there’s a lot of fuckery going on in the GOP and the right-wing ideology as a whole, then you really must not have liked us that much before, cupcake.

Of course, we could ask you to provide some evidence that “preventing islam to grow” is somehow not anti-democratic, but I suppose that would be asking too much of you, considering all the effort you’re pouring into your teal deer.

And I could ask you “which branch of Islam”? But then again, most ignorant assholes love using the entire religion as a catch-all for everything they hate, instead of actually taking the time to educate themselves.

Islam is the most woman hating thing ever existed and islamic cultures AND ITS PEOPLE are backwards (surely there are people in those countries who oppose islam and I respect them).

Christianity is the most woman hating thing ever existed and Christian cultures AND ITS PEOPLE are backwards (surely there are people in those countries who oppose Christianity and I respect them).

Hurt your feelings? I dont care.

comment image

Sweden and germany (I live in germany and around refugees who cant behave at all, Im an arabic/ asian girl myself btw,

Uh huh.

no country has the obligation to take in millions of illegal migrants)

Yeah, we in the U.S. don’t have any obligation to take in millions of refugees from countries we’re bombing the shit out of! [/sarcasm]

have so many issues with crime now its insane

Proof. You have none.

How do I know? Many of our regulars are from Germany and Sweden. They haven’t said anything remotely close to what you’re saying.

Of course, you’ll attempt to cover your ass by claiming that because they’re feminists they don’t see it because they’re too busy “sucking Islam’s D”.

We can say dick here, by the way. It’s not a bad word.

and people like you try to belittle it an call someone like Marine le pen a racist (Islam is not a race you degenerate feminist, she doesnt hate on the race but the religion/ death cult) .

Can one of our French regulars come in here and handle this? Because holy shit that’s ignorant as fuck, and I’ve only been able to see this from ‘Murrica.

And can anyone else hear whistling.

I used to like this site but you have lost all my respect.

comment image

Why are jews over a million times more likely to win a nobel prize? Because islamophobia of course (lol) .

comment image

Im aware you will delete my comment because of your feelings, shows how much YOU like democracy and free speech.

Don’t you love it when these little trolls like to play Martyr and pretend that they’re being “censored” when people don’t give them a little soapbox and a megaphone to arglebargle into? It’s adorable.

And yet your little shitstain on our comments section is still here.

comment image

@PI

It’s good to see you in action.

(And you posting holo-Handsome Jack .GIFs on a day my Jack-loving girlfriend was actually able to talk to me is a nice coincidence.)

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

@PI

4chan: haha take that normies, our meme magic and hitler memes changed the US elections

also 4chan: stop infringing on muh frozen peaches :CCCCCCCCCC

@SFHC

COME HERE, YOU.

I’M GONNA HUG THE SHIT OUT OF YOU. MMMMMMMMMMNH. FEEL THAT HUG DESTROY ALL YOUR BAD VIBES.

@Troubelle

Hello, I’m here to support your with your tooth problems.

In a shellnut, I’m that kawaii bishoujo who has snaggleteeth, as you may have seen in the animes.

I like to think my oddly shaped teeth increase my cuteness factor.

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

PI, that reminds me: is Handsome Jack okay?

@Fran

I have…one snaggletooth, and it’s one that isn’t as inflamed or as weird in the back as the other canine. It’s a good tooth.

@Peevee, re: PI, is Jack okay?

I, too, am concerned.

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

@Troubelle

I didn’t get my wisdom teeth extracted and never had braces, so my teeth basically point in different directions.

At the slightest inclination, I end up chewing my tongue or the sides of my cheeks if I’m not careful. I can run the tip of my tongue over a web of scar tissue all over the insides of my cheeks and if you touch my tongue with your fingertip, you can feel residual roughness there as well from places that I’ve bitten while eating food.

I have an overbite and my gums have receded somewhat from a period when I was 11-15 years old and didn’t brush my teeth frequently, probably because of a similar issue to yours

@Fran

Welp. At least I ain’t alone in the phases.

Hopefully, further damage can be nullified.

(I feel you on the mucous membrane damage, though. I’ve chewed on…several parts of my mouth in the past.)

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

@Troubelle

Basically, I feel like my teeth are way too large for my mouth and too loose. Like, it’s probably just because I work out and am a strong girl, but I feel like I can move my teeth with my fingers and that isn’t supposed to happen, yeah?

Otherwise, I guess I’m strong enough to pull an adult’s teeth out with my bare hands.

Advances in transhuman technology need to happen quicker so I can get my mind placed in a cybernetic body already. This flesh body mess is severely limiting my ability to do things.

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

Wait, I just realized something.

I’m a girl with snaggleteeth who can swim and is strong.

I guess that makes me a shark-girl.

comment image

Pic related, it’s me in real life. Right down to the dark skin and slightly annoyed expression.

Ooglyboggles

Re: Handsome Jack

Didn’t he say he needed a few weeks to unwind?

Bakunin
Bakunin

Continuing the gnarly teeth theme, I’ve got a noticeable snaggle in the upper incisors, receded gums on one of the lower incisors, two wisdom teeth that are more cavity than teeth, and two half-finished root canals. Homelessness will wreck your teeth. Thankfully my job situation is looking far better and should include real dental care soon.

And I agree with Alan. Punching Nazis is a praiseworthy action, but repercussions need to be considered first. Fight the Nazis where you live, don’t invade someone else’s neighborhood or protest just to get your knuckles bloody.

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

@Bakunin

I don’t eat anything sweet anymore if I can help it. I have one half-finished root canal myself.

Boogerghost
Boogerghost

Don’t get me wrong, Pearl Harbor was a major dick move, but does it bug anyone else how often it’s equated to acts of large-scale terrorism on civilians?? Mainly by excessively patriotic Americans (and, I guess, wannabe Americans like Hardie – I’ll HAPPILY switch nationalities with you, buddy). It’s like, the US probably kills more civilians than died in Pearl Harbor every week. Am I exaggerating?

I used to be quite fond of an imperial rising sun hachimaki (Japanese headband) I had as a (white) kid, until a classmate from a Chinese family quite rightly pointed out the uncomfortable historical connotations. It is treated with surprising lightness by white people. Although referring to it as a “fun meme” is kind of hilarious.

@EJ “swastikawaii” fucking slayed me. XD

Boogerghost
Boogerghost

@Francesca Or an Undyne!

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

@OoglyBoggles,

I must have missed that comment. Okay, then.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Fran

Wait, I just realized something.

I’m a girl with snaggleteeth who can swim and is strong.

I guess that makes me a shark-girl.

*fans self*

@Boogerghost
Yes, it bugs me, and no you aren’t exaggerating. In Afghanistan it currently appears that it’s a Pearl Harbour of civilians every week and a half, on average. I can’t find collected figures for Syria or the other places we’re bombing as conveniently, but it’s not looking good for team Yankee on that front.

Valentine
Valentine

Re- teeth – i have one massive mutant wisdom tooth that is 3 times size of all other teeth. There is lots of spikes on it like spikes on other teeth but instead of 4 there are about 8 or 9 little spikes.

Also regarding hardie. Since david has to be more political now since turnip was elected, is nice when he does write about the classics – hardie, aurini, aaron clarey, matt forney. They might be horrible but at leadt they dont lead a country.

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

@M:
It’s really good to see you again, I was worried about you after you got off the wagon.

If you need a friend, please don’t hesitate to give me a shout.

@Valentine:

Agreed. It’s also interesting to see how pathetic the classics are, compared to the real thing. They’re not leading any movement so much as scurrying along in its wake, trying to toady favour with those who are actually making history.

Fuck ’em.

Valentine
Valentine

@ej

I would feel sorry for them if it wasnt a waste of my brain.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

@numerobis : the last information I had was that flossing was largely cosmetical. I don’t know if brushing isn’t cosmetical too, that being said.

Nikki the Bluth Wannabe
Nikki the Bluth Wannabe

@SomeGuy
I agree so much with your comment that the only way I feel I can properly honor it is to repost it.

Apart from anything else, the whole “sneering at the idea that common, ordinary, everyday people are the best people to identify what the problems in their own lives are.” is just classic anti-science

Like, there’s half a point here but there’s ALSO the mindset that antivax is okay because mothers know better than doctors and anti-climate is okay because oil tycoons know better than scientists.

In reality, some problems are just too large in scope for an unexperienced individual, even one directly affected by the problem, to identify and solve it. That’s why we HAVE experts.

@Troubelle
Until you get to the dentist this summer, would you be willing/able to try putting a tea bag directly on the trouble spot? I don’t really have anything like you’re describing, but I’ve done the tea bag trick for canker sores in the past and it made them feel a lot less painful/irritating.

Nikki the Bluth Wannabe
Nikki the Bluth Wannabe

In other odd dental stories, I have one tooth-bottom front left-that pokes out farther than the others, mostly due to erratic retainer usage since my 2-year braces stint in middle school. I ran it by my orthodontist when I first noticed it a couple years ago, and she said I don’t need to take any more corrective action (other than getting better about the retainer) unless it gets painful or any worse. Since it’s not painful and not that noticeable, I don’t see the point in messing with it unless it does get worse.
I also never had my top left wisdom tooth come in. When the other 3 came in, I had them all removed at once with just Novocaine. My oral surgeon sent me home with prescription-strength ibuprofen, which I took for the first day or 2, and Vicodin, which I #1) wasn’t in enough pain to need and #2) refused to touch for fear of becoming addicted. With the current epidemic of opioid abuse, I see that as a wise decision.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@SFHC

It’s nice to see you back. I’m glad that your break was restorative.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

Oh, are we discussing our teeth?

I have quite an overbite. No brag, just fact. And they’re kinda yellow, kinda dark. I wear a retainer at night because otherwise I get pain in my jaw. Again, no brag, just fact. Oh, and I haven’t seen a dentist in a long time. With any luck, I’ll go in the fall.

On the plus side, I’m pretty good about brushing and flossing twice a day. Yay, me! Okay, that was a brag.

Sorry to hear about other people’s dental problems.

ETA: I’m not sure how rare this is — or if it’s rare at all — but I got my 12-year molar when I was 18. If that’s a rare thing, I’ll count it as a brag.

Mobile Swedish Sexual Bread
Mobile Swedish Sexual Bread

@Linax54
I live in Germany, more specifically in BaWü. The town I live in has a refugee center and is planning on adding another. I have noticed no significant increase in crime, so… where exactly are you in Germany?

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

The trolls are hilarious when they try to go all Scary-Frightening about situations in Europe (for the most part) and make it blindingly obvious that a) they have never been there and b) it has not occurred to them that many of us live in the places they are ranting about.

Teeth, I could never get round the physical awkwardness of flossing until I started using interstitial brushes instead. Soooo much easier and more comfortable. Worth a try if you find flossing a pain.

Tosca, Chaos made Flesh
Tosca, Chaos made Flesh

OK, teeth horror stories…PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS if you haven’t had your wisdom teeth out. It is in NO WAY a typical story and I don’t want to freak you.

When dentists took x-rays of my impacted wisdom teeth, they recoiled. All were full-sized teeth, with massive roots. Three of the four were lying horizontally, completely encased in the jawbone. One also had a facial nerve tangled around its roots. I was sent to an oral surgeon to have them removed under general anaesthetic.

The surgeon incised along the inside of my cheek and peeled the gum off my jawbone. He then cut a hole in my jawbone to expose the tooth, cut it into pieces and pulled the pieces out. Then the piece of bone was glued back into place, the gum was stitched down and he went onto the next tooth. Four times. Part of one tooth had to be left in place to avoid severing the nerve. I had 40 stitches inside my mouth.

The first day after the operation, I felt surprisingly OK. The second day I felt lousy. The third day…I woke with the thought, “I’m dying”. I rang the surgeon’s office, who explained the anaesthetist had loaded me up with long-acting analgesics and anti-inflammatories, and they’d finally worn off. I needed three weeks off work.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Tosca
Holy cow! You have my sympathy.

DanHolme
DanHolme

@Tosca
Bloody hell, that made me wince. Sorry you had to go through that. Let’s all thank the Lord for our ‘intelligently designed’ mouths…

@Opposable Thumbs

Yeah, like Birmingham is 100% Muslim, even when I’m there, apparently. Joe Lycett did a funny routine about that.

The day the ‘Birmingham is no go for Christians’ story came out Twitter had my office in stitches. My favourite (which I wish I’d saved) was a photo of a car with a cover over it and the caption ‘in Birmingham even the cars have to wear burqas.’

joekster- (betas bearded)
joekster- (betas bearded)

@Tosca: ‘wince’ OK, you win the dental horror story trophy. I’m glad you’re doing ok now, though.

@DanHolme, Guest: I nearly didn’t even know Birmingham was majority Muslim. When did that happen?