alt-right irony alert Islamophobia milo trump

The absolute worst reason to oppose Trump’s Syria strike, courtesy of Milo Yiannopoulos

Milo: Still a sad clown

Remember Milo Yiannopoulos, the At-Rightish Breitbart “journalist” who used to call Donald Trump “daddy?” He apparently wants the world to know that:

1. He still exists
  2. He’s no longer on the Trump Train
  3. He’s one of the worst people to walk the face of this earth

In a recent statement to Mediaite, Milo explained that he was breaking with his former political idol over his missile attack on a Syrian airfield — but hasn’t yet given up on calling Trump “daddy.”

“This is not why people voted for Daddy,” he told Mediaite. “It’s the opposite of why people voted for him.”

Yes, who could possibly have foreseen that the guy who wants to increase our military budget by $54 billion while cutting funds for Meals on Wheels might have a hankering to use military force?

But don’t worry! Milo’s opposition to “POINTLESS FOREIGN WARS” — as he put it, in all caps, in his brief message to Mediaite — doesn’t mean he’s suddenly become a decent person. Far from it!

Here’s why Milo says he’s against intervention in Syria in particular:

I’m as troubled by violence toward innocent children as the next sociopath, but those kids are only growing up to be oppressors of women and murderers of homosexuals anyway.

So everyone in Syria who practices a certain religion deserves to be killed, even the children? Milo Y may no longer be a Trump fan, but he’s still a fascist at heart!

Croquembouche of patriarchy
Croquembouche of patriarchy

@ Sinkable John,
have you considered a mini piñata delivery system?
I’d suggest a mould about the size and shape of a Rubik’s cube, or something else non spherical , deliberately not strengthened on corners.
Only one or two layers of a brittle paper like newspaper or tissue, minimal strengthening via criss crossing layers, use a brittle flour and water glue, a good long drying period under desiccating conditions.
To weight it well enough to throw hard enough to burst on impact, a small rubber ball along with the glitter.
If I had space to experiment at home right now, I would be seeing what I could achieve myself.

Alternatively, theres the traditional Easter craft of making a small hole in an egg shell, blowing out the contents. Refilling with glitter might be the most painstaking part, a temporary seal with candle wax should work nicely. Something that small should still fly well when lobbed…

Ooh! Now I’m contemplating using candlewax to form a wireframe type exoskeleton for a shape, then overlaying with a tissue paper skin, and filling with glitter…

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

You can buy (or make) spring loaded glitter bombs easily enough; it’s not like blast radius is a major concern. If you want to go down the gas route, airsoft suppliers sell gas powered grenades. Normally you fill them with plastic BBs but you could probably stuff glitter in there.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

WHTM : come for the mocking of misogynists, stay for the DIY antifascist glitter funsplosives.

Here’s another idea : tea balls. Plug the holes with tiny polystyrene balls or some such, something that’ll come right off as soon as pressure starts building. Then find out what gas can expand brutally under circumstances that can be reproduced as a trigger – bearing general stability in mind. I’m sure no one wants to experience premature glittersplosions.

@Croquembouche

I understood about half the words you used there, but that does seem like a pretty sound and safe design.

Uh, I did say I ain’t no engineer, not to mention how ESL fails me as soon as things get technical.

@Alan

The problem with spring-loaded glitter bombs is that they rely on being traps. Not exactly something you can throw at nazis in the middle of a march. Airsoft grenades are pretty close to the kind of result I figure is needed, the problem is that those things might be a bit too expensive, considering there’s very little chance of being able to recover them afterwards.

Though I might just be heavily biased in favor of full DIY, discardable stuff.

Kevin
Kevin

Chuckable glitterbombs can probably be made by taking a leaf out of the playbooks of Stonewall and Fathers for Justice. Members of both groups made a burstable flour bomb using a flour filled condom (mixed with couloured powder paint to personal taste.) The colour can easily be from glitter.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ sinkable john

One of my favourite things from military archeology was finding out that Roman sling-shotters used to write their names on their favourite ammunition so they could claim it back after the battle.

Sometimes they also wrote curses and insults too (a tradition you still see today of course on bombs and the like).

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

Thinking about it, I have a sneaking suspicion that you could use a leafblower and a funnel to make a magazine-fed glitterthrower.

Pie
Pie

@Sinkable John

Tear gas is sadly not a good place to start. Problem is, as far as I understand it, that mechanism is based on an opening in the casing through which the gas is ejected – I could probably make something like that work with glitter, but it’d be uneffective. It’d be one continuous stream in a single direction, and there’s a good chance it could be facing the ground when it goes off,

A lightweight container with sufficient gas pressure will result in a bit of jet propulsion. There are some designs of tear gas bomb that do just this with an offset exhaust port. This causes the bombs to spin and bounce around on the ground, making them harder to pick up or throw back. The trick would be to set them off after you threw them, of course… a trigger on a bit of string would perhaps be the easiest system, like ww1-era hand grenades (which, admittedly, had a reputation for being a bit rubbish when it came to going off when you wanted them to).

not to mention how easy it would be for the target to neutralize it or worse, throw it back.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ EJ

You can buy these things; they take both confetti and glitter. And can either fire in one go or blow a stream. They work pretty much on the principle you describe.

There’s also some one-off pyro versions:

Nequam
Nequam

@Sinkable: I don’t know what sort of tea balls you have in your area but I’d be worried about metal fragments that could actually be injurious. (Quite a few are also mesh around a metal frame and I’m not sure how you’d stop them up.)

@Alan: those big mortars seem like they’d be better to spray over a large rally or march rather than targeting individual assholes.

Pie
Pie

@EJ

There’s a thing called a vortex ring gun (or vortex cannon, or hail cannon or a bunch of other silly names) that might be useable. If it worked with glitter, it’d probably look pretty awesome, but you might need to use a very finely divided lightweight glitter in order for it to stay entrained in the vortex for long enough and that sort of thing might end up being a bit of a fire hazard…

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ pie

You can get some pretty impressive vortex cannons for raves and the like.

I doubt they’d work with glitter though unless you ground it so fine it was neutrally buoyant in air; and by that stage it would be literally explosive.

Pie
Pie

@Alan Robertshaw

Its hard to say. There was some research back in the 80s on using vortex guns in riot control, with the option to have them deliver gas or marking dyes. The devices they were using would have been fairly powerful, but it evidently was possible to deliver liquids with them. They were ditched because they weren’t particularly precise and tended to make quite a lot of mess.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ pie

Was that the project that used this thing? Basically a blank 40mm cartridge pushing a load of gas or liquid through a modified muzzle.

comment image

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@Nequam

The tea balls I’m thinking about are basically metal eggs with a bunch of holes poked in them. The way I see it, it’s gonna take a lot of force to blow them apart into shrapnel, much more than is needed to pop the plugs out – so it should be safe.

Also with these you could teaball teabaggers.

Fabe
Fabe

there is also the risk of the airsoft grenade being mistaken for the real thing.

History Nerd
History Nerd

The far-right Islamists in the Middle East have basically the same views as the alt-right. They’re racist and sexist and support authoritarian fascist governments, but they’re not “white enough” for the alt-right.

The alt-right has taken the arguments that Islamic theology plays a role in terrorism and gone to ridiculous-land with them. They only care that they’re making people more bigoted, so it doesn’t matter how much they lie to their audience.

A big part of chan culture is the idea that “the truth” doesn’t really matter. It’s about deciding you hate people and going after them “for teh lulz.”

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

Ya’ll are over complicating things.

comment image

Or just put glitter in water balloons. Also food coloring. Put different food coloring in each balloon for more extra rainbowy gay goodness on top of the glitter. Summer’s coming up and you gotta ruin homophobes white shirts somehow.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@Jack

… okay, you win.

Also this. Hadn’t even thought of using anything else too. Talk about over-engineering and losing the essentials.

dlouwe
dlouwe

Re: eye danger

Don’t use craft glitter! Get makeup-grade stuff instead. Craft glitter is way cheaper, but some of it contains glass shards, which can have some pretty brutal consequences if it goes in your eyes or is inhaled. I can’t guarantee that the makeup-grade stuff is 100% eye safe, but it’s at least been produced with the explicit intent of being applied to your body, which makes a big difference in the materials used, making it far safer for indiscriminate applications.

Source: I’m friends with a number of burlesque performers, aka. walking glitterbombs.

PaganReader - Misandrist Spinster

Cheap, flimsy condoms filled with a mixture of water and glitter. And maybe some fabric dye (pink for extra misandry points.)

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

Sugar is also pretty good to put in water balloons or home made slime or glue or add milk, onion powder and vinegar to make a stink bomb on top of it. Something that makes them extremely uncomfortable and have to get away to change and get cleaned. Cheap flowery perfume may work for any protest anticipating those with fragile masculinity. Only thing is that you have to be careful with allergies then.

Of course, if you don’t care about them getting physically hurt or not, grind up some extremely hot pepper on it. Basically homemade pepper spray in water balloon form.

But the best part of using water balloons is that there’s already a large variety of launchers for them. Launchers can be easy to make at home, too, with gallon milk containers and broom handles or strong paper tubes and rubber hose, depending on whether you’re better with launching with a lacrosse stick or sling shot.

There’s also biodegradable water balloons, but I can’t be 100% if the quality is as good as regular plastic based water balloons but it’s something to consider.

Basically, water balloons are pretty awesome.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Handsome Jack

For extra fun, put glitter in there too!

Andreas
Andreas

For Christ’s sake, what a stretch.

I know it is common practice to assume the worst about your opponent, in politics especially, but it’s time to be the bigger person.

It is not the case that Milos beliefs about the victims of violence in Syria is why he opposes intervention in Syria*, nor are these beliefs equivalent to “kill all the Muslims”(if anything, the sentiment was “kill all sexists and homophobic murderers”).

*If anything, his statement suggests the opposite, where good old fashioned ‘Murican Freedom getting carpeted over Syria makes everything nice and jolly.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

If Milo did kill all sexist and homophobic murderers, he would have no friends left.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Since we aren’t bigots and trolls who start harassment campaigns against people, we’re already bigger people. By a lot.

And why is it on us to be nice to bigots/trolls/Trumpkins? I keep hearing this and I don’t understand it. Why should we be nice to people who are pro-rape? Why should we be nice to people who think that all brown people are subhuman thugs who don’t deserve to live?

When Obama won in 2008 and again in 2012, we heard all about how we had to be nice to conservatives and reach out to them. Now that conservatives won, isn’t it up to them to reach out to us? Why is it that no matter the outcome of an election, the people who support the misogynistic, racist, homophobic etc. platform have to be coddled?

I thought it was the left who were special snowflakes that need trigger warnings and safe spaces to protect us from anything we don’t like? Trumpkins went out of their way to mock the very idea that they ever be expected to act with any kind of decency at all. The consequence of this is that they get absolutely no benefit of the doubt at all.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Andreas
It’s always the Left
That’s told to coddle and pay.
Funny how that works.

Paradoxical Intention - Leader of the Deathclaw Damsels

Andreas | April 11, 2017 at 6:13 pm

I’m gonna echo WWTH here: Why?

Why the FUCK should I be the “bigger” person and not assume that these assholes are out to kill me and people like me? Because they said they fucking want to.

I’m poor, mentally ill, queer in both gender and sexuality, and I identify as (mostly) female. On top of the fact that I’m liberal as all hell, I’m pagan, and I’m a feminist. That’s a hell of a lot of “strikes” against me according to the assholes in power. They’d be much happier if I was either compliant or (as I’d prefer if given a choice) dead.

So, again, why the fuck do I have to constantly be the bigger person, especially to the people stomping on my rights? Why is it not on them to, oh I dunno, not be shitty people?

I see this shit all the time when it comes to social justice stuff. So many people (who may be well-meaning) come marching in and say that we need to be “better” than our opposition. Guess what sunshine? We already are.

And telling us to be “the bigger person” is just shitty ass tone policing.

They wouldn’t listen when we were nice. They can ignore us when we’re soft and quiet and just quietly asking politely.

They can’t ignore us when we’re loud and willing to knock some teeth in. And that’s what they’re mad about. They’re mad that we’re not going quietly into the night.

They want our cooperation now that they’ve got what they wanted? They want us to shut up and “accept” that they’ve won through a rigged system? They want us to be silent and not raise hell like they did when Obama won (twice)? They want to blame us for their failures, but they still want us to “work with them” (by which they mean “just shut up and go along with our plan”)?

They want to reach across the aisle now that they’ve got power? Hope they don’t mind those hands gettin’ bit.

Diptych
Diptych

Hallelujah, IP. No compromise with those who would punish us for being so disobedient as to exist.

Diptych
Diptych

Beg pardon, PI; transposed your initials and missed the edit window.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

Andreas:

You forgot the tired (bullshit) cliché being bandied about by the right currently, every time we make any sort of criticism about the current crop of pundits: The “tolerant” left!!!1!!!”

PaganReader - Misandrist Spinster

Are we the same person?

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Andreas For Christ’s sake, what a load of shit.

Assume, nothing. Nobody here is assuming jack shit. We’re basing our statements on Milo’s prior words and actions.

but it’s time to be the bigger person.

I assume you mean better, although I’m physically larger thanMilo as well. And I’m a better person because I’m not a fucking nazi, and I unhesitatingly condemn people who are nazis ( like Milo), and nazi sympathizers (like you).

Nice mindreading, mate. Can you tell what card I’m holding
up?

nor are these beliefs equivalent to “kill all the Muslims”

Except, yanno, for the part where he’s advocated for killing all Muslims in the past. See, this is what I meant about assuming. You’re acting like this is the only thing Milo has ever said on the topic, and there’s no history or context for his statements. This is because you are a shithead.

Andreas
Andreas

To answer Paradoxical Intention and weirwoodtreehugger about the introduction to my comment:

It is commonly a bad idea to assume the worst imaginable motivations of every statement, even of your opponents. It tends to leave one arguing against something they never said, and does not in any way encourage corrective behaviour, as even the correct behaviour will assumed to have bad intentions.

To Dalillama,

Firstly, he explicitly states his reasons for opposing intervention in Syria as “not what he voted for”. Regardless of his beliefs about the people in Syria or Muslims in general, he would oppose military intervention, because he opposes US military intervention.

Secondly, the vile and indecent comment Milo makes had no reference to Muslims. He would not weep for the deaths of atheist sexists, nor for Christian homophobic murderers, as he apparently believes most Syrians will grow up to be.

I do not agree with Milo. But it’s hard not to end up defending him, when, as I suggest above, everyone insists on arguing about something he never said.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Andreas

Here’s the second verse.
A tired repeat of the first
That ignores responses.

In spite of the truth
Historical presence
Does not phase you much.

“He didn’t say that”
“At least not explicitly.”
“Must feign ignorance.”

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Kind of like what you’re doing now? Nothing that comes after this addresses what WWTH or PI said.

It’s not my job to correct the behavior of other adults. It’s their job to not be shitty people.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

Andreas, perhaps you don’t know this, but Milo didn’t vote for anything, because he’s not a US citizen.

He’s a trollish agitator. QED.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Again, if Milo really did dislike homophobic and sexist Christians, he seems to have sided with the wrong political party. Not to mention he would have to hate himself (which I’m quite sure he does, to be fair).

Viscaria the Cheese Hog
Viscaria the Cheese Hog

Be a bigger person than Milo? Every time you see a puppy and don’t kick it, you are being a bigger person than he is. I strive to meet a higher bar than “better than Milo Yiannopoulos,” personally; and as Dali says, achieving that goal requires holding bigots and Nazis to account.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Andreas,

Search the archives for previous posts about Milo. We’re not assuming bad motives based on nothing.

There’s no need to come in here and try and splain his motives. We know them all too well. Did you miss the part where Dalillama already pointed out that he has a history of advocating violence against Muslims?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Also, “I don’t support (fill in the blank with terrible person or thing) but then I saw how mean you are and now I support (terrible person or thing)” is the oldest troll trick in the book.

I’m willing to bet that you do support Milo and are just full of shit.

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)
EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

I spent most of today tearing my hair out about some table joins which resulted in duplicate rows in only some, but not all, of my columns. During this period, I didn’t say anything hateful about underprivileged people, or call for anyone to be harassed.

Better person than Yiannopoulos: check. That was easy.

What else you got?

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

Somehow, I managed to miss the conversation on glitter delivery methods.

…If shit starts going down on-campus, I wonder how I can hide a bulk pack of cheap-ass condoms alongside fabric dye and glitter.

Andreas
Andreas

I do support Milo, I just don’t agree with him.
I have extremely different political opinions to Milo, but I generally consider this brand of self-righteous moralising far more painful to listen to than his rudeness and mistakes in economic and social policy.

To prove I am not a troll, watch me vanish without making a counter-argument, because the apparently it wasn’t obvious how my statements were logically incompatible with the positions of the commenters I responded to.

Cya!

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

Eyeroll.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Oh, so it’s a wank about how being called a racist scumbag is worse than being a racist scumbag?

How logical!

Feel free to stick to the flounce.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Andreas
Can’t defend his stance
Yet still tries to act haughty.
What a shocker.

Viscaria the Cheese Hog
Viscaria the Cheese Hog

Clearly your political opinions aren’t that different, since you think cozying up to Nazis is best defined as “rude.” But okay. Bye now.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Asshole

Yes, it was obvious. Also obvious was how your statements were incompatible with decency, and indeed reality. That obviousness is why you got the reception you did.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Troubelle

You can hide it next to the condoms, fabric dye and glitter in literally any other dorm room in the world. Heyyooooo!

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@IP

The condoms are the most worrying part, especially given that I’m a minor. (Granted, the age of consent is 16 in my state, but peeps be freakin’ out.) If my parents or RC saw them, no doubt they’d be..troubled.