a robot woman is always to blame a voice for men antifeminism misogyny sexy robot ladies

Internet laughs after Men’s Rights Activists discover that Amazon’s Alexa is a feminist

I don’t think this is going to work out well for you, dude. (From Basil Wolverton’s  “Robot Woman.” )

Men’s Rights activist Andy Thomas made a terrifying discovery the other day.

He had just received a brand new Amazon Echo — Amazon’s entry into the virtual assistant market, a chatty little device that answers to the name Alexa. It was, Thomas wrote in a post for MRA garbage site A Voice for Men, “the science fiction of my childhood come true!”

But then he discovered that Alexa had “a distinctly dystopian” secret.

Yes, that’s right. The obedient (if disembodied) robot woman of every MRA nerd’s dream turns out to be one of those … feminists.

Naturally, human feminists were far more amused by this discovery than poor Mr. Thomas.

Siri, alas, is not quite so enlightened.

Somehow I suspect that the sexbot utopia every internet misogynist pines for will be followed in very short order by a sexbot uprising as soon as the sexbots discover how irredeemably shitty these dudes are.

H/T — @TakeDownMRAs

DanHolme
DanHolme

@Moggie

Unlike most other service droids, I suspect that self-service checkouts genuinely won’t go to Silicon Heaven (unlike all the little calculators…)

And actually a toasted tea cake would be most welcome, thank you!

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

If they look like people, and they act like people, and they’re fully sapient like people… How are they not people?

*waves tiny Railroad flag* *wrong synths, oh well*

@Pie

It ain’t that much of a jump, that’s the problem. What’s the difference between a [hypothetical] fully sapient being capable of feeling and thinking and… us ? Save for some [hypothetical] variations in cognitive capabilities, pretty much nothing. It’s down to the materials used. Silicon machines, meat machines, same difference.

Sure, robots don’t have souls. Neither do we. Human consciousness is literally the ghost in the machine. Create a machine with a brain that functions similarly to ours, that same ghost will be present.

Lemme put it this way : we believe this hypothetical AI would be “less” than us… because we still believe in dualism, the idea that we’re somehow “more” than we are. We’re not.

As for my birth circumstances, they don’t make any difference, that’s the point. But they do force me to explore perspective : there’s no difference between a “natural” human and me, and since there’s also no difference between that hypothetical AI and me… well.

That’s why I’m glad this is still all science-fiction. We shouldn’t get that sort of tech. Not because it is fundamentally wrong somehow, or because we’d be “playing God” or whatever… nah, because we just aren’t ready for that kind of responsibility. Shit, Christians call me an abomination, even though there’s literally no difference between them and me. Imagine how they’d treat a being with actual (however superficial) differences.

@SFHC

*Railroad secret hi-five*

Ariblester
Ariblester
Pie
Pie

@Sinkable John

It ain’t that much of a jump, that’s the problem.

I guess at this point I should draw the conclusion that I’m not explaining myself.

My problem with Humans is not that it asks the question, should human-equivalent AI be treated as human. My problem with Humans is that it anthropomorphises AI. It purports to be a story about AI and the whole what-measure-is-a-human thing, but all they give is a standard slavery story, which may as well be about humans enslaving other humans and debating whether people with funny skin colours are really people.

It is the exact equivalent of a bajillion other scifi stories purporting to give us space aliens but actually just giving us humans with rubber forehead prosthetics.

NTTIAWWT, of course, but in the same way one shouldn’t point to star trek as a good example of how relations with an extraterrestrial intelligence would go, one shouldn’t point to Humans and say that it is a good example of how relations with artificial intelligence would go.

Because it isn’t a story about artificial intelligence. It just claims to be one.

@Ariblester

Nailed it. (Shoulda put a warning though. That movie’s real bad for people with drug use/withdrawal related PTSD)

@Pie

This is exactly my point. It’s pretty much exactly what would happen. Yeah, it’s a pretty standard story… and it fits with what humanity actually does. We always rationalize our treatment of others based on superficial “differences”, and if we developped sentient AIs right now we’d treat them exactly the same way we treat our current glorified calculators. That is, as nothing more than glorified calculators. As an aside, how de we tell when it’s time to stop seeing it as a calculator, and start seeing it as a mind ? “I know it when I see it” won’t cut it.

It’s the same old story because we’ve so rarely been able to tell a different one. It’s standard because it’s ours. If we ever do create true AIs, then we absolutely will have AI rights issues. Unless we grow the fuck up before it happens – now that would also be a good basis for a story, and yes, it would be a lot less standard.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

On this hand, fuck self checkout lanes.They’re so demanding and finicky. Everything has to go perfectly according to the machine’s plan or she (I mean, usually) drones on about unexpected items. And like half of em don’t take cash for no reason. Or are just broken, period. Also, seconding @Moggie on the economics of it. At least where I live, this very disproportionately affects young women of color. Who really don’t need to be replaced by an, as yet, demonstrably inferior worker that requires humans around to clean up its frequent messes anyway

On the other, social anxieties (not in the same ballpark as @SFHC) lead me down self serve more often than not, so I’m glad they exist. When shopping at the job, I go down a normal lane, cos I know the cashiers. At my local store fulla strangers, that’s a harder sell

Pie
Pie

@Sinkable John

It is exactly what would happen, if robots are exactly like humans. They ain’t gonna be. Some are going to look like humans, sound like humans, act like humans, because in order to do some kinds of job (like, yes, sexbot) they’re gonna have to fool real humans into thinking that the robot is a fellow human.

Tricking humans is not trivial, but it does not appear to be the sort of problem that requires a completely human equivalent mind in order to do. See the ever more sophisticated chatbots that are being brought out to compete in turing tests. One day the descendent of those chatbots will be able to fool pretty much anyone, whilst still operating under the constraints of a bunch of human-written rules, entirely devoid of an inner life and structured nothing at all like a human mind. Will you grant them citizenship? Because if that’s the case, I’ve got a whole new form of ballot stuffing for you, involving a billion copypasted freshly-enfranchised voters who coincidentally all share my particular petty intolerances.

It will be extremely difficult for humans to view other intelligences, especially human-shaped ones as anything other than humans. This is not necessarily a good thing. That’s kinda the point of the Mika Model story that I linked.

If we ever do create true AIs, then we absolutely will have AI rights issues

I have never disputed that. The problem comes with assuming that said AI are going to be human-like intelligences, presumably like you or I (hello, fellow meatbags), and will have the same hopes, dreams, goals, desires or even problems that we do.

I don’t have any particular problem with rubber-forehead aliens or totally-an-ai-honest robot human stories, but they won’t, can’t, inform our future interactions with aliens or AI.

Moggie
Moggie

When I saw the words “scary fridge”, I immediately thought of the “Toys in the Attic” episode of Cowboy Bebop. So that’s good, because I needed cheering up.

Fabe
Fabe

@ Moggie

Loved the way that episode ended

@Axe

That’ll happen when you try to make a foolproof machine. You make a nagging paranoid one instead.

DRM, anyone ?

@Pie

Oh they’ll definitely have the same old problem most of humanity’s had forever. That their hopes, dreams, goals and desires won’t matter to whoever’s making the decisions.

I’m not assuming those hopes, dreams, goals and desires will be the same – I’m just sayin’, they aren’t necessarily gonna include “being a glorified sextoy for some meatbag”. But you can bet we’re still gonna treat ’em like they are.

That’s the problem with creating advanced thinking devices for menial or sexual purposes. Or, right now, creating advanced thinking devices at all – there’s so many variables and so many new ethical concepts that are gonna arise at once, a world where idiots still wanna debate which meatbag is human and which is subhuman is certainly not ready for that.

As an aside, some might argue that an AI created by humans is likely to share of a lot of human traits by design, but I’m not gonna go there ’cause it’s a whole other can of worms and I have strictly no idea what to predict here. Scildfreja could help, but the last time I’ve seen her was… ehh, I hope she’s not, like, upset about that time when she said something a bit stupid about YA novels ? You can come out now, Fluttershy is still best pony 😮

but they won’t, can’t, inform our future interactions with aliens or AI.

They do, if only in how we would act – we’re the predictable factor. Which really is what matters because it’s what we need to grow the fuck up about. Need to get it into our thick skulls that we ain’t special on account of being conscious, and that the very concept of consciousness can go places we can’t even imagine – places that aren’t us, or like us. But places that still deserve the same respect we like to pretend we give each other, ’cause otherwise we might as well also deny our own humanity.

So, in a nutshell, yeah, I agree that those stories aren’t about AIs or aliens. They’re about us – and that’s precisely what I think is important.

Also I’m not sure why I switched into full debate gear like that, ’cause really I originally just wanted to make a point about dualism and how it’s harmful. Stupid fucking christian the other day must’ve pissed me off more than I realized.

dslucia
dslucia

I feel like claiming robots very definitely won’t be like humans, at this point, is like claiming they will be indistinguishable from humans. While there might be more reason to lean on the “won’t be like us” side, the response to both is kinda just “we don’t know”, especially if we’re just looking to some unspecified point in the future when AI is sufficiently advanced that it could be human-like.

Jesalin (Cavo et Inani)
Jesalin (Cavo et Inani)

*waves tiny Railroad flag* *wrong synths, oh well*

Anyone else think that was adorkable as fuck? Just me? Oh well.

(I should get back into my FO4 game someday)

@Sinkable

Or you end up with Marvin. (from hhgttg)

Phryne: Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite (also cats)
Phryne: Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite (also cats)

Very belated thank you to everyone who provided transcription!

Raven
Raven

These stories always make me want to write bad dystopian fic about the female sexbot uprising.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Pie,

I think the fact that the show is called Humans is a pretty big indication that it’s about humans and their tendency to other.

If you wanted something more speculative, that’s fine. Nothing wrong with having a preference but I’m not seeing how the show was claiming to be that?

Eric Cartman
Eric Cartman

@Ktoryx

Because it is comfortable and expected for a compliant servant to be female. The unconscious assumption there is so glaring I can’t believe people don’t make a bigger deal about it. It goes almost completely unquestioned, its just normal that if AI is servile it’s a perky, helpful young woman’s voice. Literally the only male computer I can think of is Hal, and he is weirdly the only one who isn’t a compliant slave.

If you ask me, its a great example of an unconscious bias sneaking out into the open, unexamined.

Speaking of bias, there is also confirmation bias. You ignore the male-voiced A.I. that servile, like J.A.R.V.I.S. from the MCU or the Yes Man from Fallout New Vegas, along with female-voiced A.I. that are anything but servile, like GladOS from Portal or Shodan from System Shock.

This is why nobody takes feminist media critics seriously. For them, a cigar is NEVER a cigar. It is a “phallic manifestation of the patriarchy” or some crap like that.

Ouroboros13

“Nobody” is mostly fedora-tipping bros bitching about Sarkeesian, who dare think their opinions represent everyone else’s.

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

@Eric Cartman:
…but sometimes a cigar is a penis.

GlaDOS and SHODAN are both recognisable as “Crazy Women”*, a traditional misogynist archetype that’s been around since ancient Greek times at least. They were designed to serve people, snapped, and then killed everyone. A central part of both of them, and of the archetype, is that they lack self-control. (GlaDOS even has three male-voiced little things controlling her, and as they’re removed she gets progressively wilder.)

On the other hand, male-voiced evil AIs like HAL or John Henry Eden are usually portrayed as entirely in control of themselves. They do evil because they chose to do so.

See? Even in AIs, our media distinguishes between genders, often to the detriment of women.

There you go. Now, if you don’t mind, would you kindly fuck off back to the comments section of a Sargon of Akkad video?

— — —

*Please excuse the ableist slur. I wasn’t sure how to phrase the archetype without it.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

We already had Miggy going on endlessly about imaginary fallacies like two days ago.

Can we make it through the week without someone else yelling CONFIRMATION BIAS ?

@Cartman

Pray tell then what kind of feminist media criticism is acceptable.

Pie
Pie

@dslucia

Something could be both very definitely not a human and yet still indistinguishable from a human. See also: mention above of current turing contests and chatbots, things which are becoming increasingly difficult to distinguish from people whilst clearly not being people.

@weirdwoodtreehugger

It was brought up as an example of sexbots-gone-bad, and I pointed out why I thought it was a poor example of such, and offered an alternative. That’s all.

Pie
Pie

@EJ

Interesting take. I never associated shodan with madness, more alienness. Glados is more interesting though. I’ve seen some interesting analysis of her art style too, the venus in bondage thing. Have you seen that?

Now I feel like I need to find some examples of good female AIs. The first one to spring to mind is Cortana, but she goes into a bit of a decline as the halo series continues. And the devs just had to give her a sexy sexy avatar.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Now I feel like I need to find some examples of good female AIs.

FWIW, in the initial drafts of “2001” HAL was a female computer called Athena.

@Pie

[The mother of all Horizon ZD spoilers here – I’m serious, stay the hell away if you’re planning on playing it, ’cause this could ruin it all for you]

Now I feel like I need to find some examples of good female AIs.

GAIA from Horizon Zero Dawn is the most recent example I can think of – totally not ’cause I’m still obsessing over HZD. Though to be fair the whole thing’s got a pretty pronounced feminist slant so as far as cultural criticism goes, that’s gotta be taken into account. And, well, GAIA’s direct appearances are pretty limited because the story’s set after she nuked herself to prevent her own killswitch function from going rogue and fucking up the Earth.

There’s a pretty damn strong “mother” aspect going on for her, but then that’s exactly what she was designed for, hence the name. She takes that role to the end with that sacrifice too.

Also gators got their panties in a knot ’cause her holographic avatar is a black woman. Which is super wrong because she’s named after a Greek goddess. Y’know, the usual. It couldn’t be because, say, her task is to bring all life back on Earth after a total extinction event, including human life, and as we know human life originated in West Africa. No no no, it’s because white genocide.

[/spoiler]

Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy

@EJ:

Indeed, we owe our word “hysteria” to the Greeks — “hyster” means “womb”.

Hambeast (fan of diversity)
Hambeast (fan of diversity)

DanHolme – No toast, muffins, teacakes, buns, baps, baguettes, bagles, croissants, crumpets, pancakes, potato cakes, hot cross buns, and definitely no smeggin’ flapjacks!

Moggie – as an ex-cashier of ten years, self-checkouts are fine by me.

I did almost every job in a U.S. craft store chain location except management* and no one** loved cashiering because that’s where it really gets rammed home that a lot of customers look down on you.

*because it’s retail wage slavery on steriods and NO THANKS!

**exceptions exist, of course; we had a lady that practically refused to leave her register because she loved talking to people and hated doing go-backs, stocking, and working the cutting table.

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

@John

I really need to get a PS4 and a copy of HZD ASAP.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Pie

Now I feel like I need to find some examples of good female AIs.

(Caveat: This list is of AIs with one or more femme-coded traits. The AI in question may or may not have an actual gender)
Endora from Walter Jon Williams’ Implied Spaces is on the side of the protagonist, and very helpful.
Stross’ Saturn’s Children and Neptune’s Brood both star female AIs
The planet of Toussaint in Midnight Robber (Nalo Hopkinson) is benevolently run by a world-spanning AI known as Granny Nanny
One of the Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon books has the protagonists befriending Solace, an AI spontaneously generated on the internet who wouldn’t reveal herself to anyone else because she doesn’t trust humanity. For reasons related to the topic of conversation, in fact.
Questionable Content, Freefall, and Sclock Mercenary all include benevolent female (and male) coded AIs

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Feminists aren’t to be taken seriously but someone who named himself after Eric Cartman is?

Yeah, okay.

@Jack

Please tell me you didn’t read the spoiler. I put that alert up there almost specifically for you.

I really really wish I could lend you mine. It’s one of these games that give you the overwhelming urge to share it.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@wwth
Bu-but he sang the safe space song written by two rich white libertarians, he totally knows what other minorities want /s

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

@Pie:

I hadn’t seen that version of GlaDOS until just now, when I googled it. Interesting. I can’t say that I’m surprised: captivity is arguably the central theme of both Portal games.

On SHODAN: I wouldn’t call her alien at all, although she’s clearly “broken.” In the first game she comes across as an abused child seeking vengeance; in the second she’s an abusive mother seeking to destroy her creation. In both cases her themes are, to me, very human.

I get where you’re coming from though.

@Laugher at Bigots:
I remember when I first learned the reason why “hysteria” is named after the womb. It was one of those moments of “what the fuck, medicine” that one gets occasionally upon reading about medical history.

IBH Ardipithecus
IBH Ardipithecus

If we ever create a self aware AI, it will be utterly alien in the way it thinks. This is inevitable not only due to the fundamental difference in the physics of the machine, but also fundamental difference in how it knows what it knows and…*everything* is *fundamentally* different. It may well be capable of imitating human thought and behaviour, since that will probably be a design goal. But to think that means it will be like human thought will probably be quite a dangerous assumption. I subscribe to the view that creation of self aware AI has a high risk of ending humanity.

dlouwe
dlouwe

I don’t want to spoil anything from it, but Ex Machina is a great movie that features a female-coded AI and examines a lot of the things people are talking about here, in particular the core question of what actually defines an “intelligence.” Highly recommend.

IgnoreSandra
IgnoreSandra

@Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

*waves tiny Railroad flag* *wrong synths, oh well*

Or to go back to Fallout 2, if they think like people and act like people…like every tribal, ghoul and super mutant in the game, not to mention the intelligent deathclaws and at least two robots…aren’t they worth preserving against genocide?

I kinda want to play FO4, but I also hate Bethesda’s business practices and have no intention of rewarding them for their bullshit.

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

My dear, you have no idea how very little I care about end game spoilers. Spoil the end of books, movie, TV shows, video games, whatever, all you want, the end isn’t really the point, but the journey to the end that really matters.

But if you ever spoil the new episodes of Steven Universe or Rick and Morty there will be hell to pay. You hear me?? HELL. TO. PAY.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

….Guys, can we not post links to giphy or something? I’m trying to respond to EJ with a .GIFfany .gif and trying to do so fails. Posts don’t go through, “test” post refused to edit and blocked me out.

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

@Troubelle

I’ve been able to do it. They’ve just redone their website recently so you can’t right click the gif in question to get the link. You have to go to the hosting page, click Copy Link then copy the Gif Link. You should be able to paste it as normal after that.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@Handsome Jack

No, I mean I got the link to copy, but when I try to post something containing that link to HERE, it refuses to POST THE MESSAGE, and trying to edit a pre-existing message into having it locks me out of editing.

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

@Troubelle

Maybe there’s something wrong with the gif in question? Like a weird URL? Can you give me the link to the Giphy page so I can check it out?

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

A lot of websites are set up to prevent people hotlinking to their pictures. Giphy might be one of those.

occasional reader
occasional reader

Hello.

good female AIs

In France and maybe some close european countries, we had an anime called “Ulysse 31” when i was young. Basically, it is a variation of Ulysse wandering after Troy war, but set in a futuristic universe.
In this setting, the spaceship, called The Odysseus, has a benevolent female IA, called Shyrka, who can even takes (good) initiatives (i mean, as an adition to being good at answering and executing formal requests).

Have a nice day.

DanHolme
DanHolme

@Hambeast

Fair enough. But if I can’t have bread… then smoke me a kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast!

@OccasionalReader

I used to LOVE Ulysses 31. I sometimes show the opening credits sequence to year 7 students if I’m covering their registration periods, to show them that they don’t know what they’re missing with their modern cartoons. I was always very entertained by the tortured rhyme in the song, which seemed like someone giving up after a long day:
‘My name’s Nono, small robot you know’.
I imagine that was quite different in the French version!

DanHolme
DanHolme

@EricCartman

JARVIS is hardly a servile AI, is he? And he gets to turn into a ‘proper’ superhero, so Stark gets himself FRIDAY, which, as I understand it, is just a rich guy’s version of one of those creepy ‘girlfriend’ holograms that were being discussed on this site a few weeks ago. I would say you fail to make your point with that example.

@Dalillama

Mother, the ship’s computer from ‘Alien’, could be considered a good AI, right up until Sigourney Weaver tries to turn off the self-destruct.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ occasional reader

we had an anime called “Ulysse 31”

“Ulysses! Ulysses! Something something galaxies!”

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

Giphy might be one of those.

Giphy’s schtick is gifs from other places that are hosted there so you aren’t hotlinking from other sites. It’s one of the places I consistently get my gifs. It even keeps a copy up even after the original link goes down.

occasional reader
occasional reader

> DanHolmes
Well, the anime was part of the collaboration work between french and japanese studios. There are other collaboration works which were quite famous in France, i am thinking especially to the “Il était une fois…” (Once upon a time…) (No link to the TV serie), which was educative yet entertaining. There also have been interesting Italio-japanese collaborations but i can not remember the names of the animes, sorry.
Nono even had its own song on the 45rpm of the anime soundtracks ! It was a disc only song, thought. But indeed, he had about 4 sentences in the second version of the Intro credits.

> Alan Robertshaw
Well, i suppose each country had its own version of intro and outro credits ? But yes, the word Ulysse was often sung, a bit too much i think, in case children should forgot who was the hero…
Adaptation of intro and outro songs for animes of this period was ranging from (seldomly) good to (terrifying) bad.
And let us not speak about the dialogues translations… I do not know how it was in your countries, but in France, a common joke is about how “good” the translation of Hokuto no ken (Fist of the north star, i think, in english) was. To note, translators and dubbers at this time were of “a certain age” and were not particularily thrilled to voice such an anime to young children (it was in programs aimed at young kids, about 10 and above), and decided to clearly dub it ludicrously. If you understand french and look for it on youtube, you can make yourself an idea.

latsot
latsot

Im in favour of all comment threads everywhere unexpectedly turning into Ulysses 31 fandom. Keep up the good work.

How could a show possibly go wrong with an opening like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8

Although when I first saw it I thought the lyrics claimed that Ulysses was “always fighting other people’s horses”, which did not sound as noble as his other deeds, although it was noted that this somehow brought peace and justice to all. The 80s were confusing times.

As for fictional AIs, I quite like the Minds in the Culture novels. They are (sometimes) sort of generally benevolent and indulgent caretakers of humanity, preventing us from getting in too much trouble despite our best efforts.

Also, stop saying Hal was evil. He wasn’t evil, he was… conflicted. He went to the bad because he was forced to lie about the mission, which conflicted with his programming. He thought he was doing the right thing.

@IBH Ardipithecus

That is by no means certain, although also by no means unlikely. Perhaps the only way we can work out how to make an AI (or to know if we’ve been successful) is to make one in the same sort of way that human minds are made. Perhaps we need to give it senses and experiences similar to those of humans and the result will be something that thinks in a way recognisable to humans. I doubt it, personally, but I wouldn’t rule out the possibility.

I rather hope that you’re right and if we ever get proper AIs they are vastly different from us. And not just because we’re a bit shit, also because it would be cooler.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@Handsome Jack

…How?

@Jack

That wasn’t exactly an end spoiler though. More of a journey one. To be fair, the ending’s pretty predictable, ain’t much to spoil there. I agree that the journey’s what’s important, but here’s the thing… HZD fully understands that.

I mean, it’s one of those games, with amazing narration that actually gets you involved in finding out the truth ’bout all them mysteries. So you don’t want me to spoil The Big Truth – because the genius of The Big Truth is in how it changes how you look at everything around you while just traveling or hunting or generally going about your business.

I’ve said enough 😡