#ResistTrump open thread

Repub “health care” bill pulled. RESISTANCE WORKS! Happy Friday!

The Republican party in action

It’s a good day. And it’s all thanks to those who protested in the streets, who showed up at Town Hall meetings, who called or wrote their elected representatives, who did anything else they could think of to fight repeal. If you were part of the Resistance, and I know a lot of you were, give yourself a big hand. You did it. We did it.

Without the ACA, there’s no way I could get insurance. There’s no way millions of Americans could get insurance. What a fucking relief this is. What a weight off all of our shoulders.

The fact that this is a massive defeat for Trump and Ryan and the Republicans generally is just icing on the cake.

Consider this an open thread. No Trump fans.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

Wonderful, wonderful news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dlouwe
dlouwe

Congratulations from a neighbor up north! I’ve been watching the Republicare bill slowly fall down the stairs since it was proposed, and have been crossing my fingers the whole time that it didn’t still get passed through political fuckery. It’s unfortunate that your win was “Man-sized Cheeto failed to ruin healthcare” but it’s a win nonetheless!

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

I’m glad that we got it pulled. But, I’m also worried that Trump will do the same shit he did with his Muslim Ban “Travel Ban” and just try to resubmit it again and again until it goes through.

The man very obviously doesn’t know what “no” means.

In other news, POWER RANGERS IS A FUCKING AMAZING MOVIE, Y’ALL.

Like, seriously. It was SO GOOD.

And the Blue Ranger, Billy, is an autistic black kid. Like, he has hyper focus on his interests (technology and explosives, because he and his dad who was a miner did that before he died), and he doesn’t get jokes or metaphors, and I whispered to my roommate “Are they coding him as autistic?” ten seconds before he said he was on the spectrum to Jason.

They also didn’t push the Red/Pink ship as hard as the TV show did, and while I’m a little sad they weren’t as overt with Trini’s sexuality as they were with Billy’s autism, they still really portrayed her very well and she was a really awesome character. They all were pretty interesting with their own backstories and motivations and all of that. (No spoilers though. ;3)

Oh, and I nearly flipped. My. SHIT. When the original theme started to play during the Big Fight Scene. They only did the “Go Go Power Rangers” part though, and didn’t include that sick guitar riff though. :/ Semi-disappointed.

Bina

Woop woop woop woop!

Here’s a little ditty to celebrate:

Tovius
Tovius

@PI I’m worried about that, too. I really hope it stays dead, but I keep worrying that the zombie will crawl up any day now.

Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution
Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution

I feel so bad for laughing at that gif. I hope that guy was okay 😂.

Congratulations, Americans! Here’s to many subsequent victories.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

I cackled with glee at RyanTrumpcare not getting enough votes. Just thrilled.

CleverForAGirl
CleverForAGirl

My job involves watching videos people post on social media. Since the election my job has been a non Euclidean unspeakable horror lovecraftian shit show. Today I look forward to seeing Paul Ryan’s sadface over and over again.

AJ from GA
AJ from GA

My question is, though, did we do it? My impression is that the pubbies that don’t like it think it doesn’t go far enough.

ColeYote
ColeYote

It probably help that most Republicans hated the bill too.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Congratulations !

Now I look forward to the Tiny Tyrant’s angry tweets.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

You know Trump fucked up when even the Koch brothers went against him and said “we will pull your campaign funds if you vote for this bill.” Like seriously he had the entire GOP on his side, and then squandered that asset harder than he squandered our tax dollars for his weekly golf trips.

@PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
36 in total IIRC.

Wanda
Wanda

Unfortunately, this bill didn’t fail because it wasn’t generous enough. It failed because it was too generous. House Republicans only want bills that put forth efforts to ACTIVELY kill poor people, not passively! However, with that all said, I think the really terrible press it got helped the awful polling numbers, so in that way, perhaps some liberal activism helped. They have admitted they won’t be revisiting this issue again for a while, so… onto Gorsuch! It looks like the Dems may fillibuster and he may not get enough votes. Of course, then the Repubs will go nuclear and get him in anyway. But that’ll mean that next time the Dems are in power, they can get through any Supreme Justice they want with only a simple majority. Here’s to praying that all the Justices, especially the old ones, last four years in this political climate…

Wanda
Wanda

@Ooglyboggles

Have you heard about Robert and Rebekah Mercer? They’ve put a shit ton of money into Trump, and they basically hand-picked Michael Flynn as national security advisor and Jeff Sessions. The Kochs look like bleeding heart liberals against those two, and the Mercers are infinitely more terrifying. So Trump, I think, would be more worried about pissing off the Mercers than the Kochs.

To serve as an example, Rober Mercer believes that your income determines your worth to society. He thinks that if you are on welfare, you have negative worth to society, and that the super wealthy like him have more worth as a human being than a school teacher. This is the level of evil we are dealing with. They also believe in conspiracy theories, such as that the Clintons are murderers.

If you want to lose all faith in the political system, here is the Fresh Air episode about it.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I need to push back against the idea that the phone calls etc. didn’t matter. They did.

The problem for this bill is that the Freedom Caucus thought it didn’t go far enough, but Republican moderates weren’t hip to the changes the FC demanded. If it were as simple as doing a straight repeal of the ACA, believe me, that’s what would have been proposed. There are a significant number of non-FC Republicans who realized from calls and letters etc. that their constituents didn’t want a straight repeal and would ream them if they voted for a strong bill. So that’s why the bill wasn’t strong enough for the FC.

(You’ll also hear some stories about Senate rules that restricted what could be in the bill, but this is the gist of why it failed.)

Ryan pulled the bill rather than force the vote that President Shinra demanded so that none of his party would have to make a politically unpopular choice in deciding how to vote.

JoeB
JoeB

@PeeVee and Wanda

they lost Rs from both wings of the party. Couldn’t make it ghastly enough to please all of the “Freedom Caucus” and many of the moderate Rs were swayed by calls/polls/the bill being hot garbage.

I love the reports coming out of the WH are now all about how Trump totally is mad, nope not mad at all, he’s definitely handling this like an adult. Believe me!

ETA: Oh and Trumpites already sniping at Ryan via Breitbart. LOL

ETA2: Ninja’d

abars01
abars01

Congratulations. I am so happy for everyone in the US who either resisted and/or would have suffered as a result of the bill.

All the more motivation to attend my fourth protest today. Don’t let up for a minute, folks! Protest Gorsuch, protest the Wall, protest climate change denial, protest his Russian ties… protest each and every iota of Trump’s shtick until the guy can’t stomach it any further and resigns!

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Wanda
I apologize for my poor wording. I meant the Koch brothers threatened to pull the funding of the GOP members’ campaign funds. To be honest I had forgotten about the Mercers in the entire hubub of this dumpster fire. They own Breitbart, that says enough of them. I still don’t understand why they would be in support of this bill when by all means they would want a bill that would kill even more people? I could do at length of why I don’t have much faith in our oligarchy, but that’d be preaching to the choir.

But enough of that, time to post animal pics in celebration!comment imagecomment imagecomment imagecomment image

@JoeB
He even repeated he doesn’t blame Paul Ryan, repeatedly. If only we can watch exactly what level of rage he would feel after being denied yet again.

Jesalin (Cavo et Inani)
Jesalin (Cavo et Inani)

Of course he blames the Democrats, that’s par for the course.

And my impression of the Freedom(to die) Caucus is that the only bill they’d vote for is one that removes all public funding for every form of health care and required insurers to charge double the rate to non-rich people.

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

My favorite tweet so far has been (paraphrased) “Health care bill pulled – makes sense, pulling out was the only birth control it covered.”

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Iseult The Idle | March 24, 2017 at 6:24 pm

comment image

MrsObedMarsh
MrsObedMarsh

Thank you, thank you to everyone!

dr. ej
dr. ej

The WH is definitely trying to spin this to make it look like a win. I saw a clip of Trump on the news complaining that they had no support from the Democrats. He tried to blame it on them, completely disregarding the fact that members of his own party had pulled their support. I’m curious to see how he handles this setback. Between this and the travel ban, he’s starting to see that he doesn’t have the complete and unchecked power that he thought he was going to have.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

My father-in-law, who is an American medical doctor, believes that health care in the US is free. He made a big speech about how people don’t actually need to pay for care. If you won’t or can’t pay, he says, the doctor will treat it as charity work. He claims nobody in America is ever denied health care for financial reasons. He truly believes that health care in the US is essentially free, but that some people choose to pay because they have the money to spare.

Wanda
Wanda

@Ooglyboogles

Yeah, you’re right. The Kochs still wield influence, for sure. But if the Mercers believe that poor people have negative worth, I’m sure they are 100% totes fine with poor people dying due to lack of healthcare. In fact, they’re probably itching to speed up the process. Many of the GOP have the same viewpoint; they just know that saying it out loud might lose them voters, so they use codewords instead.

Also, as someone who has (well, my parents have, but who I grew up with) a blue merle Cardigan welsh corgi, I honestly thought that dog was mine, lol.

In other news, this clip of Alcee Hastingscriticizing Republicans about this health care bill is wonderful. This is the same guy that talked shit about Texas in regards to their rejections of Medicaid expansion, and, when told that Texas legislators would wait for his apology, Alcee responded “You will wait until Hell freezes over”.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

If you won’t or can’t pay, he says, the doctor will treat it as charity work.

Indigent care is a thing and charity care is a thing, but like other charities they don’t even come close to filling the need that exists. I once had a friend who was a doctor who provided indigent care, and she was constantly frustrated at how little she was able to do for people who needed comprehensive care but got patchwork care instead.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

dr. ej, right?!? Trump blaming the Democrats: they should have worked on a bill of their own…

They did, moron. And passed it. It’s called the Affordable Care Act!

Damn, this guy is totally clueless.

numerobis
numerobis

Hurray! I hope the orange one and his flock of turds continue their master negotiation skills.

I heard the news on a freedom bridge, oddly — on NPR while in Canada.

gijoel
gijoel

Finally some nice news. But it wasn’t all bad news for Donny. Trump got a book written about him.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Trump got to sit in a big boy truck.

This is beautiful. Also they actually made it into a children’s book, apparently.

Edit : aah ! Ninja’d by gijoel.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

Trump blows his own horn enough; makes sense that it’s an air horn, given how full of hot air he is.

What an embarrassment to the U.S.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Sometimes I wonder what future American high schoolers will read about in American History class with respect to what is happening today. I doubt the travails of health care reform/deform will make the cut, but what about the broader strokes, like the highly partisan, no-compromise environment created by the Freedom Caucus and similar?

JoeB
JoeB

Trump wanted to put the bill up to a vote even though it wouldn’t pass so he’d know which Republicans were against him and get revenge.

Sounds like a healthy attitude for the president to have…

Ray of Rays
Ray of Rays

I half-wish that had happened.

“And now we turn to the Republican party, in their deft interpretive dance re-imagining of Dali’s ‘Soft Construction With Boiled Beans.'”

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@JoeB
And he didn’t even get to have the high ground. What a riot.
EDIT:
My new favorite piccomment image

Anarchy-X
Anarchy-X

Heh heh, victory! Too bad Drumpf’s persistent, if nothing else.

@Ooglyboggles

Ha! That pic is perfection!

Chiomara
Chiomara

Congratulations, Americans! This victory is a merit of the people, don’t you doubt that and don’t stop fighting. But you must know to only use your weapons in self defense and no onnnne could ever take you down, cause the power is on your si-i-i-de, GO GO POWER RANGEEEERS! DON’T YOU EVER STOP!

*Cough cough* Sorry, wrote this listening to the power Rangers theme and got caught up.

Chiomara
Chiomara

If you won’t or can’t pay, he says, the doctor will treat it as charity work.

Oh, yes, cause doctors don’t need, like, to eat, to live, or money to even buy the necessary stuff to treat a patient. Doctors just do it for free for everyone who needs it, then they open the window of the office a bit to let the sunlight in, and there you have – they make some photosynthesis, and they are already nurtured for the day, no need to buy food.

I mean, don’t get me wrong, pretty much the only reason I want to be a doctor is charity, but the plan here is to make a lot of money by treating rich people so I can use this money to treat poor people for free, but I also am human with bills, and a family, and shit. If the government pays my salary and I do it for “free”, eesh, even better. But in a capitalist society you can’t work for free just because the person doesn’t want to pay you.
Theory is doctors are supposed to be smart… But so many I see are so sheltered and even – sorry for the bluntness – dumb that I get baffled. Can’t he just… Google it?! It’s his own profession, his own salary, how can he not know where it comes from? I guess this is what you get when you make medschools so freaking expensive and hard to get in that only the elite can get in.
And YES, I’M BITTER ABOUT THAT, WHY DO YOU ASK?!

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

This is a real tweet. Soak it in, people 😁

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

If you won’t or can’t pay, he says, the doctor will treat it as charity work.

(Disclaimer: I am not a health economist.)

Medical care is one of these things where the old saying that “prevention is better than cure” really is true. If people have to wait until they’re genuinely sick before getting treatment, then the country will expend far more money overall than if those people had been able to go to regular non-emergency health checkups. A charity-based system of emergency care is therefore the worst system for medicine.

CriticalDragon1177

This great news! Let’s keep it up guys!

MJJ
MJJ

While they may be glad it happened, I am not certain that liberals can take credit for their activism killing the AHCA. The fact of the matter is, the TEA Party-ish Republicans fought the bill for their own reasons, and none of the people who were likely to be influenced by liberal activism were likely to have voted for it anyway.

The problem with the “repeal and replace” bill (AHCA) is that it prioritized reducing the taxes associated with the ACA (i.e. Obamacare) and did little to deal with the issues that the majority of opponents really cared about. Essentially, the implication of the bill is that Obamacare would be fine as long as all of the costs are borne by the middle class instead of the wealthy.

I think the fact that right-wing firebrands were tweeting things such as “GOPs exempt themselves from O-care, then write replacement that doesn’t allow a free markt in health ins; DOES repeal taxes for corp buddies,” that had a lot more impact than “Resistance” activism. (The tweet was by Ann Coulter, by the way).

zaunfink
zaunfink

About the negative worth thing – it does make sense if you look at it from only the money perspective. But, considering that you can’t prevent negative worth people from being born( every single child has negative worth), wouldn’t the logical reaction be to try and change the system to one where people have the highest possible chance of having a positive worth? Killing them isn’t gonna solve the problem. At all.

Also, how much of a shitty person can you be?!

That being said – congratulations, America! Keep fighting!

Jesalin (Cavo et Inani)
Jesalin (Cavo et Inani)

@EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

What I find interesting, and kinda tells me that it boils down to social factors (and corruption) rather than logic, is that universal healthcare (single payer) makes huge business sense. Less expense for employers (and less expensive over all), with the bonus that healthier (and less stressed out over health care) employees are happier and more productive. It’s a win/win situation, business wins and society wins. Obviously the thieving insurance companies don’t win in this case but everyone else does (though depending on the system they won’t exactly lose either).

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I think the big reason corporate America doesn’t throw in for universal single-payer, despite the fact that it would save them money is that the threat of losing healthcare keeps workers powerless. I think companies don’t mind paying the extra money for insurance if it means they have their employees under their thumbs a bit more. I can’t count how many times I’ve heard people say they’d quit a job they don’t like or retire early but can’t because they need the health insurance.

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)
EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

That’s a very interesting point, WWTH, and I find it fairly convincing. I wonder how it applies to the emerging gig-economy model of employment, which lacks insurance entirely?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I think that’s even better (from their perspective). Some businesses avoid paying for insurance for contract workers and part time employees. Full time employees with benefits are made to feel their lucky to have such a job at all. The scarcer good paying jobs with benefits get, the more power employers have. If we had universal health care and a robust social safety net, unstable gig jobs might work well for a lot of people because of the flexibility. The way things are now, they’re low status jobs and people with the stable full time jobs with insurance can feel superior for having health care and not being impoverished. Workers are worrying about how they’re doing in comparison to others rather than looking where they should look. Which is the people at the top.

Just an opinion I’m pulling out of my ass based on my own observations. Not sure if there’s research to back it up.

Jesalin (Cavo et Inani)
Jesalin (Cavo et Inani)

@WWTH

That’s a very good point, and utterly disgusting.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@wwth

Your ass is pretty good at getting it right on point then – or at least as right as our asses on this side of the world have figured it out anyway. It does fit pretty neatly with the consensus of activists here – where we have a different piece of the picture what with having much better healthcare and worker’s rights policies (that’s changing fast tho, and not in the right direction).